Newegg.com

7.1

Newegg is one of the companies that we reviewed that is strictly an online marketplace, selling primarily computer accessories, computers, and other hardware. We also found, however, that they offer significant other products categories, including women's jewelry. Often, in the case of the pearl necklace, the prices and quality of goods were significantly better than what a customer might find in the traditional storefront.

We saw that Newegg has a special premiere membership, costing customers $49.99 per year after a 30-day free trial. The premiere membership gives customers access to the following:

• Free expedited shipping (3-days) for free.
  • Free returns with no restocking fees (on select items)
  • Expedited customer support.
  • Special email alerts.
  • Exclusive deals.

In the online electronics industry, we didn't find a comparison for Newegg's special online resources. Newegg was primarily a private company for several years. Newegg had its IPO in 2009, after posting several years of profitability.

Newegg is not without controversy. In March of 2010, Newegg accidentally sold several counterfeit Intel processors. Initially, the company claimed that they were demo units. Upon further investigation, Newegg discovered that the units were counterfeit and offered replacement items to customers.

The Good

• Great chat feature
  • Generous return policy
  • Point of sale category

We liked several aspects of Newegg's catalog and online storefront.

• The Newegg Premiere subscription was a great feature. For $49.99, after a 30-day trial period, a client gets expedited free 3-day shipping, exclusive deals, and email alerts.
  • Newegg offers several different refurbished laptops and other accessories. We found a "first-generation" white MacBook with 2GB of RAM and Snow Leopard OS for $399.99. Newegg was one of the only companies in the industry that offered refurbished older model computers, essential for the low-end computing user.
  • We found that many online retailers in the industry also had a marketplace for individual sellers. Generally, buyers and sellers in the marketplace were covered under Newegg's guarantee.
  • UNLOCKED PHONES: We found that NewEgg offered several unlocked products, including the latest model of the iPhone. For some individuals, unlocked phones are great for switching SIM cards, rooting the phone, and doing other modifications that made the cell phone experience more user friendly.

Newegg also has one of the best chat features in the industry. We found that the live chat let us work with making an order on the website. We were able to ask questions about how the marketplace worked, how certain products function (such as the unlocked iPhone 6), and about the return policy. Generally, in the industry, most electronic retailers only offer live chat after you have placed an order.

For an online only storefront, Newegg also has a pretty generous return policy. Whereas, with Best Buy, you must return an item within 15 days, Newegg lets you return an item for a refund, after a 15% restocking fee. Of course, some items, such as advertised items or limited availability items, are not eligible for the standard return policy.

We also liked the Point of Sale category. We found barcode scanners, printers, and other items for small businesses that weren't necessarily available with other online electronics retailers. Best Buy, as well as Fry's, did not offer any point of sale items for businesses. This makes Newegg a viable retailer for businesses that might need an item beyond a printer or document scanner.
We also liked Newegg's mobile app. We downloaded this on the Google Play Store and were able to find products very easily. The mobile web site was also optimized for our tablet device.

The Bad

• Refurbished models
  • Customer issues
  • Counterfeit products

There were a few things that we disliked about the Newegg online marketplace. For example, we questioned the efficacy of some of the refurbished models that we saw in the computer category. Some of the refurbished first generation MacBooks, for example, seemed a bit overpriced. These machines, while in good condition, are old, and may not run some of the newest operating systems or software.

We saw that some customers had bad experiences purchasing combo units from Newegg. One client had purchased a motherboard set to build a new computer. The combo included a processor that did not fit on the motherboard. When the customer sent the product back, the processor had not been refunded and labeled as damaged. The customer was given in-store credit when they asked for a refund, but ultimately accepted Newegg's offer.

We were also concerned about the counterfeit Intel processors that Newegg sold in March 2010. The counterfeit issue makes one wonder about the quality control standards at Newegg. Overall, however, Newegg seems to have a high quality assurance standard in both its catalog and its respective marketplaces.

We also looked at Newegg's software selection. When we looked at the various versions of the Windows operating system, we saw that not all versions were downloadable from the website. While Windows 8.1 Pro is more costly on the Microsoft website, clients can download it there. Newegg should work to provide downloadable copies of all of its latest software.

Also, we had some issues with the academic software. Many of the software brands, such as Adobe Professional, were out of stock, and it was unclear when new product would arrive for customers.

The Bottom Line

Here is what we liked about Newegg, leading us to recommend them as an online electronic storefront:

• We liked the Premier membership, as the 3-day expedited free delivery was well worth the $49.99 per year.
  • The various models of unlocked phones, especially the latest iPhone 6.
  • The customer support experience, as the online chat feature was particularly helpful.
  • The generous 30-day return/refund policy, even though there is a 15% restocking fee.
  • The variety of products available, including non-electronic items.

Here is what we didn't like about Newegg:

• The return policy and the ambiguity regarding "combo" products and deals.
  • The 15% restocking fee on the return policy and lack of refundability/return for certain items.
  • The lack of downloadable software for certain products.
  • The issue with the counterfeit Intel processors in March 2010.

3.4

Alex

January 27th, 2018 Lafayette, LA DETAILS

About a month ago, I was in the market trying to find a basic gaming laptop for a good price, and I stumbled upon an MSI Laptop with just the basics for around $800 being sold by NewEgg. I did a little bit of research and decided to purchase it. However, once I received the laptop, I soon discovered that it was not compatible with the Oculus Rift, and decided to return the product after only using it one time. I went on NewEggs website and followed their return instructions, and I even purchased their return label for $15. I was then prompted to pay a $95 restocking fee, and even though I felt that this was pretty high, I decided to just go ahead and pay it. After about two weeks had gone by, I received an email stating "Unfortunately, the item(s) mentioned above was physically damaged and beyond the applicable Newegg.com warranty coverage as indicated in our Standard Warranty Policy." I was extremely frustrated with this email considering that I had only used the laptop one time, was positive that no damage had occurred while it was in my possession, and followed (and paid for) their shipping instructions. I had assumed that something must have gone wrong while they were processing my return causing it to be mislabeled as damaged, so I decided to call NewEgg directly. After speaking with a very nice person who had instructed me to wait a couple of days while my claim is under investigation, they told me that I would be contacted very soon. After two more weeks went by, I knew that they would not reach out to me. (It also seems that a few other users have had this problem with NewEgg where they claim to get back with you shortly, but just end up putting their customers aside.) So, I gave them another call, but this time, the person told me that nothing could be done, and they are not liable for any of the damage that had occurred, and after speaking with a manager, they reached the conclusion that I would not be getting my money back. I have many friends and coworkers who had used NewEgg for all of their computer and gaming products with little complaints, but now, none of us would trust them with a purchase larger than $50. As a college student, a purchase of this size is a big deal, and I cannot afford to suffer an $800 loss for a laptop I did not break. Now I am out $800 for the purchase, $15 for the shipping, and $95 for the "restocking fee." Their customer service had me running in circles for a solution that they would never provide. I would not recommend NewEgg to anyone! Especially if you have any doubts that you may return your product! They care less about their customers than most businesses and are very difficult to deal with. Though the people we talked to sounded nice, they never gave us any solutions and just kind of blew us off. Stay away from NewEgg! Afterwards, I started looking into past reviews of NewEgg, and I found some similar stories. This guy returned a products with all of its components and he was denied a return: https://www.trustpilot.com/reviews/5a5cdb3b6116dd0f1077ef51. This person was unable to get a refund for a defective product: https://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/newegg/internet/newegg-pembroke-streetgiftedlivingcom-bad-merchandise-unresponsive-customer-service-re-1230322 And this person was denied compensation for a product that they never even received (however, it does seem that NewEgg was handling the issue in the post): https://community.newegg.com/discussion/131678 So far, I am very disappointed with the way that NewEgg does business. It is not professional, and they do not value their customers. And after a while of loyalty, I no longer feel safe purchasing anything from NewEgg, and I am very disappointed because they actually had some good deals, but they rip off anyone who has a problem. Not worth my time and money, and they shouldnt be worth yours either.

Brian

December 27th, 2017 Belton, SC DETAILS

First time customer. I entered the shipping address correctly, and then they took my Paypal shipping address instead. After multiple phone calls and chat conversations, they first told me to wait for the tracking number to appear (putting it on me to contact them again), then told me they couldn't do anything about it other than wait for it to go into transit, contact them (again!) to recall it, than refund me 3-5 business days later ("if it returns to us"). Meanwhile, on Amazon, I can go through a two minute automated procedure to update shipping address. This company is way behind the curve. I'm not returning and would caution you away from them. If there's another option you can buy from, consider the time you'll waste on customer service should anything go wrong!

Jonathan

December 20th, 2017 Bountiful, UT DETAILS

I have bought multiple items from new egg over the years with no problems. Service is great and prices are competitive.

Chris Wootton

December 17th, 2017 Ogden, UT DETAILS

Ok company has good products and fast shipping.

Emerald Scott

December 5th, 2017 West Jordan, UT DETAILS

This is a really great place to find good deals on computer parts. I've only had to return a broken product once and they were great about taking it back. I'm fairly certain the item was damaged in transit as well and that it wasn't on Newegg.

Eva

August 26th, 2017 Brooklyn, NY

Don't ever by their unlocked phones. I bought a Samsung S6. It did not work at all. T-Mobile said it's supposed to be unlocked, but you wouldn't be able to use it here. You won't be able to make calls.

Kyler Ashby

June 7th, 2017 Phoenix, AZ

I think Newegg is a great resource for those looking to find anything relating to computers, be that computer parts, accessories, or the whole package.

Kenneth Okerlund

May 26th, 2017

Great prices, great delivery time. My go to place for first looks at computer related purchases.

Raymond Em

March 29th, 2017

How bad is it when you get billed three times by paypal for the same order !!!!I have had two 30 minute chat sessions with promises about how my complaint willbe sent to accounts and investigated. I just made a midnite international call to them only to find I cant speak to accounts and there is NOTHING they can do excpet send the request to accounts. I will never deal with these folk again I am $900 bucks out of pocket for a $300 item and they havnt even shipped it yet.!!I have contacted paypal I have lodged a complaint now I need to let the days tick away till I can escalate it, NEWEGG of course has not responded!! Review about: Order For Memory. I didn't like: Being charged 3 times and no one at newegg helping.

Vegas KeVa

February 18th, 2017

I bot a computer from them. It ended up being so cheaply made that within 2 months the wires connecting the keyboard to the computer were exposed. I get a 'free' headset bundled with the computer. It didn't work and calling customer service was a total nightmare. One person hung up on me because I asked if I could speak with a supervisor. I ended up sending the headset back in at my expense only for it to go into a black hole. Looks like I will never get the replacement headset I was told I would get. I am sorry I ever ran across Newegg.

wbao1124

December 12th, 2016 Decatur, IL

I ordered a Nexus 6p-64G. What I got was a Nexus 6p-32G. Since my old phone is broken, I can not afford to send this phone back for replacement. The should do a better job to send me the right product!

Rafael

July 31st, 2015 New York, NY

I have been a Newegg customer since 2000.. its been 15 years.. I HAVE NEVER NEVER HAD a complain about this store.. they have the best prices in computer parts. THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE IS THE BEST.. they help with everything.. I can not complain!!! NEWEGG GETS 10 EGGSS!!!!

Mr_Wilber

July 30th, 2015 Wake Forest, NC

I have bought many items over the years from Newegg.com I recommend them to EVERYONE! Vacuum, scooter and of course PC parts :-)

Michael Patterson

July 30th, 2015 Sonora, CA

I have used many suppliers over the years, including newegg, but now I only use newegg. Customer service has been the best I have ever encountered from any company.

Billy Ricky Peden

July 30th, 2015 Bolton, MS

Newegg is good they ship fast packaging is always top notch but their RMA system sucks ive been burned by more than once i will not send a intel based motherboard l back to them because they claim the pins are damaged people have received these boards with damaged pins and want them replaced and they say it user error and refuse to replace it and send back the broken product i sent a corsair h60 back because i didn't want it no more they said the radiator was damaged it come back fine and their return fees suck i sent back a gigabyte gtx 770 i lost almost 100 dollar in return fees

Tony French

July 29th, 2015 Marietta, GA

I have never had bad service from Newegg, I had bought a 32" TV, it was past the 30 day period for returns, but Newegg worked with me and got me another TV, and took care of the RMA with Seiki, Class act all around

Louis

July 28th, 2015 Portsmouth, VA

I have never had a problem with Newegg and I have taken some real chances with open box and sale items. No failures, not one. Keep it up Newegg!

Patrick Warren

July 27th, 2015 Colorado Springs, CO

It's been really great.

Richard Sensale

July 27th, 2015 Toledo, OH

I have been using Newegg for many years, and plan on continuing to use them for purchases of Computer related parts and supplies. Pricewise, they are sometimes less expensive than most online auction retailers, Their shipping prices are fair and they do try and get orders out as quickly as possible. I can see where their "premier" memberships could be useful to people who shop frequently or in large batches, however, as an occasional shopper, it's simply not worth the $49.99 per year. I have had good and bad experiences with their customer support over the years, but mostly good. I have not had to RMA anything purchased from them so I cannot comment on their RMA system. They offer numerous payment options, including PayPal which is my preferred method. All in all a good company to work with. One of my only reservations are all of the "marketplace" shops they have on their site. If I wanted to buy from another retailer, I would go through their site, not Newegg. It can be confusing for a novice to realize who he is actually doing business with. They also need to work on their category system. Sometimes finding things can be a bit of a hassle. I do recommend them to friends and family as an alternate to eBay and other online sites.

Larry Rodriguez

July 26th, 2015 Yucaipa, CA

newegg never told me that what I was buying wasn't from them. took too llong and was 3 days late

Tom McDougal

July 25th, 2015 Fort Smith, AR

I have purchased many components and every item was received in great NEW condition... and worked just fine... a Monitor I ordered was received in LESS than 24 hours, I was amazed..!! I bought 16 GB memory, ToughPower PSU units, SSD and Hard Drive too... I know some items could arrive DOA, but I have had NO bad experiences... Hint: I always spec out what I need and reference CPU and Motherboards, etc thru manufacturer websites to determine compatibility... just play it safe.

Marcus Edwards

July 25th, 2015 Bellville, OH

I love NewEgg I have bought several items and have had the best experience with them, I constantly recommend the site to friends and family. The majority of my last PC build I purchased from NewEgg and I am still getting items for it from, because they usually have the best prices.

Chris Sheriff

July 22nd, 2015 Billings, MT

I am on my 3rd system build and god knows how many upgrades lol. I get 90% of my gear from NewEgg . shipping is always good packaging is done right, and the price is hard to beat. never once had a bad item shipped yet. Use them, Love them, and play hard.

TheBuyer

July 21st, 2015 Pasadena, CA

Newegg is a good company, but there service is archaic, returns are still RMA, waiting, waiting, waiting. Take a look why Amazon took off, returns easy as with Costco, people like that. With one click, i return or exchange something on Amazon, no questions asked, they trust there customers, if i say its broke its broke, they send another unit before my broken one arrives. If you don't change your ways, you will dissapear, as so many other good online retailers. Too bad...

Marcus Edwards

July 19th, 2015 Bellville, OH

I just did a system build and bought a lot of my hardwards from NewEgg, I like their prices but I also used amazon for some of my purchases because the price was lower. It's like that everywhere, you just have to shop around. But I give NewEgg two thumbs up for their selection and quick shipping. and I still look at NewEgg first when I look for anything for my computer.

Robert Shimomura

July 16th, 2015 Costa Mesa, CA

I've always had a positive experience with Newegg. You need to do your homework, and product research, as there is no customer service, or referrals. Shipping has always been quick, but then it should be, as most items ship from Whittier, and I live in the OC. Their daily deals are really good, as well as the sales that they send out via e-mail during the week. I will continue to do business with Newegg, as their prices are much better than Amazon.

Brian Fraase

July 16th, 2015 Springfield, IL

Site Is amazing. Bought everything for my rig through them and they always fixed any problem I had. I recommend to everyone