Crutchfield Logo
LAST UPDATED: October 27th, 2021
Crutchfield’s online catalog has its origins in the company’s first year of business, when sales were poor in 1974. During the first year, the company didn’t sell very many items. Bill Crutchfield, the owner, mailed out a questionnaire to find out why customers weren’t buying products, asking customers what the company needed to do better. Customers replied that they didn’t know much about car audio, and were scared by the thought of putting one in their vehicle. The questionnaire prompted Bill Crutchfield to start filling the catalog with useful information about car audio. The company built this experience into their corporate DNA, offering superior customer service to its clients. Since 1974, the company has put car audio components into over 12,500 cars.

The Good

• Great customer service
  • Lifetime support
  • Extensive audio selection
We seriously felt that Crutchfield has one of the best customer service setups in the industry of online electronics stores. Here are some of the features of Crutchfield's superior customer service:
  • Free lifetime tech support for your audio products ($99 if your products were purchased somewhere else).
  • Free audio installation kits with most car audio products.
  • A generous 60-day return policy, however, the items must be returned completely packaged and undamaged.
  • An extensive knowledge base that includes installation guides and how to purchase product guides.
We liked that the lifetime support for products was also available if you purchased your product from another company. In our opinion, this is an indication of Crutchfield's dedication to customer service. We liked finding an online electronics retailer that specialized in one market, specifically audio products. The online product catalog also has a very unique search feature, something that we didn't see in the industry. To search for the car audio that is appropriate for your vehicle, the website catalog prompts the customer to enter their vehicle manufacture year, the car brand, and the car make. The catalog will then present the customer with a complete listing of audio products that is appropriate for their vehicle. We also liked the array of televisions and other products available through Crutchfield. Crutchfield has three different models of OLED TVs. The prices range from $3,499 to $9,999. We found it difficult to find a wide range of prices for OLEDs from other providers in the industry. The customer experience with Crutchfield is also reflected by a positive reviews. The customer mistakenly selected the wrong type of wire harness. Crutchfield sent the client a free wire harness, the correct one, and did not ask the customer to return the faulty wire harness. We also liked the extensive professional audio selection category. Here are some of the item categories that we found with Crutchfield's professional audio product selection:
  • PA Speakers
  • Audio recording equipment
  • A wide array of microphones
  • Monitors for recording and public performance
  • Computer recording
  • Pro Audio Headphones
  • Home recording solutions
  • Cables and Snakes
  • Stands, cases, racks and bags.
The website also included extensive articles and guides for each product category. One article described the benefits of having touchscreen displays as part of a car audio system. One audio talked about car audio factory sound processors and how a new stereo could be easily integrated with a factory sound processor. The article also gave customers options on how to decide whether or not they should keep their factory sound processor or purchase a new one.

The Bad

• More information
  • More products for devices
We couldn't really identify any "negative" aspects of Crutchfield's website, but we did have a few suggestions to improve the site's overall functionality and appearance, as well as increase the overall customer experience:
  • For classic cars and motorcycles, we would like to see more "vintage" products available. Some of the electronics for classic cars had a digital display, limiting the "vintage" look of the radio display.
  • Increase the number of GPS units and resources available for motorcycles, as there are only two GPS types for motorcycles.
  • Better define how to package a product if it is going to be returned. The website doesn't give very good information for how to repackage a product and the amount of a restocking fee.
We wish that the catalog contained a bit more information on each individual product and how it might be integrated into an existing audio system. We were somewhat concerned by the factory sound processor article, as it read somewhat like a blurb trying to get the customer to purchase more Crutchfield equipment. Even though Crutchfield is an audio component provider for cars, we would like to see more products such as smartphones, MP3s, and maybe even tablets that customers could hook up to their new stereo system, whether or not the item is for a home.

The Bottom Line

We appreciated our service experience with Crutchfield immensely. Here are the things that we liked about Crutchfield:
  • The great customer service, an idea that is built into the very core of their business operations.
  • The free lifetime support for products purchased directly from Crutchfield
  • The free installation gear that comes with most car stereo purchases.
We also liked the extensive knowledge base online. While the live chat is not a 24-hour feature, there are a ton of articles that are available to customers 24 hours a day. Also, the knowledge base is free. Some companies, such as Best Buy, require the customer to purchase Geek Support or a service plan to repair or install an item. Also, the free installation gear from Crutchfield is hard to beat.

4.9

Doreen Gonzalez Caguas,

Kind of dissappointed I paid $73.29 for my express shipping to receive it at January 6 2021 at 3:00p.m. This was my husband present. I finally received it today Friday January 8 . I wrote down all the trip that it take. Its not fair to pay so much money if you are not going to delivery it in time. Jan. 7, 2021 - 12:09 PM SAN JUAN PR DISTRIBUTION CENTER Departed USPS Regional Destination Facility Jan. 7, 2021 - 12:09 PM SAN JUAN PR DISTRIBUTION CENTER Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility Jan. 5, 2021 - 6:27 PM RICHMOND VA DISTRIBUTION CENTER Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility Jan. 5, 2021 - 5:12 PM EARLYSVILLE VA Accepted at USPS Origin Facility Jan. 3, 2021 - 11:24 PM EARLYSVILLE VA Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item

whitewolfowner Roswell, NM

For the most part Crutchfield is pretty good; however when you run into a problem with a piece of gear, they leave you hanging in the dust with the manufacturer as they did with me years ago with an Onyko receiver. One would not complain about that if they made sure the sellers they dealt with treated their customers properly and honored their warranties. In that area, make sure you know who this particular distributor is since they distribute other brands than Onyko and make sure you avoid those products like the plague since they do not honor their warranties and in my case didn't even know what they were talking about......what did Cructchfield do..........NOTHING. Now, a second flag from Crutchfield. I was looking at display they had for the Nikon 80-400mm lens and under the product description they claim that this lens is equivalent to a 120-600mm lens on a SLR. There are two things wrong with this statement. First of all, Nikon has never made a film camera in the APS format, so the statement should read DSLR; not SLR and it should say that it is equivalent to a 120-600mm lens on a NIKON APS or DX camera. I tried bringing this to their attention through the chat at noon on Tuesday 5/21/19 and I was completely ignored, so I'm writing this blog to warn hopefully, anyone who thinks of buying photo gear from Crutchfield to do enough research so you know where their descriptions are wrong. One should not sell equipment that one does not know what they are talking about. Obviously, their so called customer service is not anywhere as good as they'd like you to believe they are; so if you buy from them, be cautious and make sure you know what you are buying and remember that it's not just the store you buy from, but who the distributor is behind them that is supposed to be there when Crutchfield abandons you after the sale because at some point they will leave you in the dust on your own.

scott wilkerson Oscoda, MI

The installation instructions were not accurate and basically wrong in some cases. They had noted hacksawing out areas of the dash support in order to install a new receiver, all unnecassary and TG I measured first to verify. The cable adapetrs for the new speakers had the wrong lead so they required to be cut-off and new attachments added. There instructions do not cover for a door speaker installation how to remove the feature which has all the various wire connections for; lock, window open/close, side mirrors. However, their instructions did show how to remove the door, instrument panels adequetly.

Tha Skiz Madison, AL

I've had 2 or 3 good experiences with them and plan on continuing to do business with them [ IF ] this last purchase works out fairly. [ BUT ] This last order for a $1300 item came in and it was a BEAT UP OPEN BOX. impacts so hard that the foam packing was destroyed. (Just tell me your low on stock and it will be a couple of days! I could have still had it this weekend.) wasted my time reshipping and shot my plans this weekend. They do have another one on the way, and It had better be new or I can get just as stupid. You guys need to replace that mans Drone, (he is right) and he is posting everywhere. I wont if this replacement is new.

Long Haughton, LA

Have purchased from them twice before and was totally satisfied. The Pioneer I bought from them a couple years ago already gone bad, but that’s not their fault, so I decided to just replace it with the same as was in my other truck. This purchase experience, though has not left me 100% happy, but got on phone with them and have to send it back for them to handle

Brian O'Fallon, IL

I have ordered from Crutchfield several times. Always received quality products. I ordered Memphis Audio Power Reference 5x7's. Great speaker. But it looks like they shipped me items that someone else returned. There is supposed to be screws, speaker wire and it was all missing and the boxes were beat up. If I order a new product I expect everything to be in the box! It seems silly, but it matters to me when I spend this kind of money of good equipment.

Jon Chardon, OH

2014 Camaro front speaker wiring connector is for a ford and you must make modifications to get it to fit the factory gm plug properly. Wish this was actually written somewhere so I could have at least known as I was trying to install. Far be it that Camaro wiring adapters be made for Camaros instead of shadetree fixed from a ford wiring plug adapter. Other than that the focul speakers are awesome and an update even to Boston speakers.

Jon Garden City, ID

Everything was great except that the speaker that supposed “fits your Z3” did not fit. I was only able to secure it with two of the four screws. The other two holes were misaligned enough that I could not get the screws started.

William Dunlap Mammoth Lakes, CA

The shipping of my new TV was double the maximum time promised by the sales rep. When I called customer service they were not able to offer any help. I believe your shipping operations needs to be improved.

David Parker Columbus, OH

Tech support needs to be available 24hrs not banker hours most people work after hours