Crutchfield Logo
LAST UPDATED: December 1st, 2021
Crutchfield’s online catalog has its origins in the company’s first year of business, when sales were poor in 1974. During the first year, the company didn’t sell very many items. Bill Crutchfield, the owner, mailed out a questionnaire to find out why customers weren’t buying products, asking customers what the company needed to do better. Customers replied that they didn’t know much about car audio, and were scared by the thought of putting one in their vehicle. The questionnaire prompted Bill Crutchfield to start filling the catalog with useful information about car audio. The company built this experience into their corporate DNA, offering superior customer service to its clients. Since 1974, the company has put car audio components into over 12,500 cars.

The Good

• Great customer service
  • Lifetime support
  • Extensive audio selection
We seriously felt that Crutchfield has one of the best customer service setups in the industry of online electronics stores. Here are some of the features of Crutchfield's superior customer service:
  • Free lifetime tech support for your audio products ($99 if your products were purchased somewhere else).
  • Free audio installation kits with most car audio products.
  • A generous 60-day return policy, however, the items must be returned completely packaged and undamaged.
  • An extensive knowledge base that includes installation guides and how to purchase product guides.
We liked that the lifetime support for products was also available if you purchased your product from another company. In our opinion, this is an indication of Crutchfield's dedication to customer service. We liked finding an online electronics retailer that specialized in one market, specifically audio products. The online product catalog also has a very unique search feature, something that we didn't see in the industry. To search for the car audio that is appropriate for your vehicle, the website catalog prompts the customer to enter their vehicle manufacture year, the car brand, and the car make. The catalog will then present the customer with a complete listing of audio products that is appropriate for their vehicle. We also liked the array of televisions and other products available through Crutchfield. Crutchfield has three different models of OLED TVs. The prices range from $3,499 to $9,999. We found it difficult to find a wide range of prices for OLEDs from other providers in the industry. The customer experience with Crutchfield is also reflected by a positive reviews. The customer mistakenly selected the wrong type of wire harness. Crutchfield sent the client a free wire harness, the correct one, and did not ask the customer to return the faulty wire harness. We also liked the extensive professional audio selection category. Here are some of the item categories that we found with Crutchfield's professional audio product selection:
  • PA Speakers
  • Audio recording equipment
  • A wide array of microphones
  • Monitors for recording and public performance
  • Computer recording
  • Pro Audio Headphones
  • Home recording solutions
  • Cables and Snakes
  • Stands, cases, racks and bags.
The website also included extensive articles and guides for each product category. One article described the benefits of having touchscreen displays as part of a car audio system. One audio talked about car audio factory sound processors and how a new stereo could be easily integrated with a factory sound processor. The article also gave customers options on how to decide whether or not they should keep their factory sound processor or purchase a new one.

The Bad

• More information
  • More products for devices
We couldn't really identify any "negative" aspects of Crutchfield's website, but we did have a few suggestions to improve the site's overall functionality and appearance, as well as increase the overall customer experience:
  • For classic cars and motorcycles, we would like to see more "vintage" products available. Some of the electronics for classic cars had a digital display, limiting the "vintage" look of the radio display.
  • Increase the number of GPS units and resources available for motorcycles, as there are only two GPS types for motorcycles.
  • Better define how to package a product if it is going to be returned. The website doesn't give very good information for how to repackage a product and the amount of a restocking fee.
We wish that the catalog contained a bit more information on each individual product and how it might be integrated into an existing audio system. We were somewhat concerned by the factory sound processor article, as it read somewhat like a blurb trying to get the customer to purchase more Crutchfield equipment. Even though Crutchfield is an audio component provider for cars, we would like to see more products such as smartphones, MP3s, and maybe even tablets that customers could hook up to their new stereo system, whether or not the item is for a home.

The Bottom Line

We appreciated our service experience with Crutchfield immensely. Here are the things that we liked about Crutchfield:
  • The great customer service, an idea that is built into the very core of their business operations.
  • The free lifetime support for products purchased directly from Crutchfield
  • The free installation gear that comes with most car stereo purchases.
We also liked the extensive knowledge base online. While the live chat is not a 24-hour feature, there are a ton of articles that are available to customers 24 hours a day. Also, the knowledge base is free. Some companies, such as Best Buy, require the customer to purchase Geek Support or a service plan to repair or install an item. Also, the free installation gear from Crutchfield is hard to beat.

4.9

SVS Wireless Soundbar Miami, FL

I haven't had time to hook up the SVS Wireless soundbar but hope to sometime this week. I am amazed that this small unit can produce 300wpc, 150wpc into 4 ohms and 75wpc into 8 ohms speakers. This unit should serve it's purpose well in our soon to be 2nd home (condo) in 2022 or 2023. Thanks Crutchfield for your quick service as I received the unit in 2-3 days from the date of purchase.

Carlos Tehachapi, CA

They have a lot of products to choose from. Aswell as all the installation accessories needed and free vehicle specific installation instructions. Fast shipping and great customer service

Scott Phoenix, AZ

The expert advisors always offer great suggestions when you are not sure of what specific item you want to purchase. I purchased my receiver, blu ray and speakers using their recommendation and am very happy with everything I have purchased

Jorge Uquillas Norwalk, CT

Easy to install, Sounds much better than the original radio in my 1999 Volvo V70 wagon. Crutchfield provided everything needed for installation at a very reasonable price. Received incorrect brackets, not Crutchfield fall since product was packed incorrectly in China, called Crutchfield and Crutchfield replaced/shipped for free. Thank you Crutchfield!!!! You guys are the best and always looking for the customer.

Steve Raley Albuquerque, NM

I don't know that I've used Crutchfield before, although I'd certainly heard of them. I was looking for a stereo component rack and, while I paid more than I was looking to pay, the rack I got (Pangea Audio Vulcan Audio Rack) is a better rack and is actually large enough to accommodate my components. You really do get what you pay for. Oh, and the second best thing is that I got my rack two days after placing the order. I will not hesitate to do business with them again.

Jim Nussbaumer Estes Park, CO

I have seen Crutchfield for years but never bought from them before - not the right combination of product and pricing. I recently bought a new receiver for my older car and was very pleasantly surprised. Their prices were competitive and I got the product in 2 days. I was installing it myself so I had reason to call their tech support line. I was actually able to talk to a support specialist quickly - no long wait and no phone-tree getting thru to someone. The support was based in the US and they were very knowledgeable and helpful. I wish all companies had this type of support. I will definitely recommend them to my friends.

Rob Pottstown, PA

I’ve bought stuff over the years from crutchfield and they always help you out! Like options to make installs easy with all the things you might need. Oh and shipping is fast .

Brent Masters Alpharetta, GA

Crutchfield is one of a small number of companies that understands customer service. I have called them to ask questions about mounting a TV I bought from them and there is very little hold time and questions are answered quickly and accurately. I’ll never buy a TV from anywhere else again.

denleach Belington, WV

Spoke with Eugene. He was knowledgeable and helpful and helpful me with the questions I had regarding a product. I was able to make my decision and order was simple and fast. Crutchfield is an amazing company and I have purchased from them since the 1980's.

Rory Kirker Lorton, VA

I wanted another pair of speakers to add to my Focal 806s. Found Crutchfield on the net, with a lot of choices and enough detail that I decided to purchase two 816 Focal speakers. For me, the 816s go perfectly with the Focal 806s. Movies are more enjoyable and when playing music, I'm hearing wonderful sounds that I hadn't before. Crutchfield beat Amazon's price, and even with free delivery, I received the speakers in 1-1/2 days.

Dean Parkinson Wentzville, MO

Knowledgeable sales and support staff. Excellent experience (as always). You could get a slight bit cheaper elsewhere, but it is worth a few extra bucks to get their support. When I needed wiring help and couldn't find any answers on the Internet, their support had the answers I needed to get it wired right and done quickly. Having that kind of experience and knowledge at your back is why I keep coming back.

George Woodley Frederickstadt, C

The best and leave the rest! I have always enjoyed shopping with them the products and service are top of the line you can never go wrong with them.

craig faulkner Nashville, TN

When I am in the market to upgrade radios in any of my vehicles I always go to Crutchfield. They have a great selection, Detailed info and great specials.

Ricardo Cruz Stafford, VA

I bought a 3:1 polk audio system with a Yamaha receiver for my game room and sounds amazing!! Thanks Crutchfield! Oh, I also get the JBL party box speaker with 2 bluetooth mic. Uffff!! What a party!! I love it!!!!!!

Ty Jones Baton Rouge, LA

Ordered several items from you guys and everything comes fast and you guys go beyond to make sure the orders are right and have the info for installing plus a few freebies. So far great customer service also

Dennis Joiner Ocala, FL

The service and technical support was perfect! I have been a Crutchfield customer for quite sometime and they have never let me down. I will continue to use them and I recommend them everyone who is in the market for electronics.

Lance Addison New Philadelphia, OH

Easy to order. Shipped right away. Received in a day and a half from time of order. The product was awesome. Bought a turntable through outlet. If it sat side by side to a brand new one I wouldn't know the difference. The thing was mint.

galaxieman1000 San Diego, CA

One of the best product informative websites there is. Easy to navigate and computer friendly. Purchase process is super easy and free 2 day shipping to California, I can't get out of may chair that quick. Too bad the chip crisis has made many items not available. Will always check Crutchfield first as they are the best!

Windell Memphis, TN

I was shopping for a mag cartridge for my turntable, I was specifically looking for Audio-technics brand. I found a big selection at Crutchfield to choose from. The one I chose was reasonably priced and produced incredibly clear high and low sounds upon installation. I liked it so much that I came back here and bought a second one for my other turntable.

Kenneth Dawson Jr Cleveland, TN

Was very easy to navigate site for exactly what your vehicle needs to make installation a breeze. Great prices and fast shipping

David Morrison Winter Garden, FL

Great service and very fast Shipping. Item was well packaged and in perfect condition. The pricing was very competitive.

Paul Fisette Allen, TX

Looking up products and ordering we’re easy. I did not receive one small item, left a message with my salesman and never received a call back. He might be on vacation so I won’t fret it…yet.

Jayson Adamsen Phoenix, AZ

Not quite what I was looking for. Reached out to customer support looking for a Plug and play option if one exists. Was told the product I ordered would do that. What I was sent will require wiring up with splices and sorting out loose ends which is what I am trying to clean up. I will make this work but it is going to take more time than I have right now. Was not looking for the cheap option. I was looking for the best option. I was willing to pay a little more as I value a product that saves my valuable free time to work on this project. I will continue to look to Crutchfield as a resource but not so much for sales support when selecting a product.

Angela Lequia Centralia, IL

Always happy with Crutchfield purchases. I have complete trust that the items they sell are of the highest quality and I always receive what I order very quickly. Never have had a problem and always happy with my purchase!!!

Tim johnson Phillipsburg, NJ

Very good experience. Agent was knowledgeable and helpful. Radio is installed and works great! Instructions were also excellent. I don’t think you can get better service any where else!

Ben S. Atlanta, GA

Great selection of products and helpful selecting what you need. Had all the adapters and instructions needed to install the speakers in my Grand Cherokee, it made it very easy to get the job done. Will definitely use them again.

vsxz Temecula, CA

They have a good selection of car audio products. They have good information on what fits the vehicle you’re shopping for. The sub I purchased arrived fairly quickly and for being an open box item to save some money, the sub was in excellent condition.

sswaneeee Carmel, IN

I had no idea what special wiring harnesses I needed to retrofit a new receiver to my sons vehicle, called customer service and they found all the necessary equipment and I received everything I needed in a few days, even maintained the steering wheel controls still work just like I asked!

Stephen Hornak Cypress, CA

Excellent customer service. Amazing offers of free and comprehensive installation guides. Free brackets needed to install the speakers. Free wire harness that make installation plug and play. No cutting wires and soldering. Excellent search guide tailored for my vehicle. I cant say enough good things about Crutchfield and I WILL be back to buy the rest of the speakers I need.

Eric A Omaha, NE

Easy online ordering, quick and on-time delivery without shipping error of any kind. Plus high-quality product at a great price. What's not to like?

Rudy R Fort Myers, FL

I've been buying from Cruthfield since Jan. 2014 and they are great always, speedy delivery and most importantly zero damage to product. Thxs again Cruthfield

sharanadee braithwaite Ephraim, UT

Great products. Fast shipping. My favorite part is being able to add my vehicle. Pick some great stuff and Crutchfield adds the necessary equipment I need to make everything work like it should. Saves me time trying to research.

Jay Hensley Holly Springs, NC

Shopping at Crutchfield is always a pleasure. They have very fast standard shipping and when you purchase from them you know you will get the best customer support should you have an issue. Their technical documentation is second to none. If buying audio equipment for your car their website will guide you to the right product for your make and model. Highly recommend!

Chad Meadows Three Rivers, MI

Look....I really don't want to seem weird.lol.but I'm 47 year's old and have been buying my stereo equipment from them for 30-31 years ..... Seriously...way before there were e-mail addresses. They have from day one stood behind every sale and made good for any imperfections immediately and without question TOOK CARE of the customer in every way shape and form..... and pleasantly! Amazing job to your company and staff! Thank you crutchfield and staff for keeping this company #1 for price, dependability and customer service since day one in 1974

nmeyers74 Green Bay, WI

Great buying experience instructions were easy to follow and everything fit perfectly

upnorthwi Philadelphia, PA

I purchased the Sanus WSTV1 TV stand as I needed a pedestal type mount for my application. This stand is heavy duty, all steel and weighs 30 pounds. It will easily hold most TV's and all hardware is included. As far as my purchase from Crutchfield, I choose to buy one from the Outlet. I've done that previously and products were virtually new. So I decided top save a few bucks. Everything was packaged as new with the exception of a lot of the hardware was not separated and was in a ziplock bag, I suppose from the previous purchaser. That was a little irritating having to sort it out and figure what was used for what. If purchased new, every fastener is separated by size. I'm happy with the stand, and went to do a review on it. Then I noticed the price was lowered almost $20.00 on it. I contacted Crutchfield and they immediately refunded the difference. Excellent company to do business with, never disappointed. They may be a little more sometimes, but I'll pay for good customer service and support. I've been a customer for over 40 years.

Mr. P71 Sacramento, CA

Great place to start your search for car audio. Their website is superb for comparing specs and finding what fits in your car. You can sometimes find better prices elsewhere but they're usually comparable if not better when adding free installation kits and shipping into the calculations. Their customer support for installation is amazing! I once had a problem and the rep I got wasn't familiar with either the car or the product. He (the rep) asked to put me on hold and then said someone else would call me in a few minutes. I figured I was screwed but about 10 minutes later another rep called and walked me through my issues and I was on the road 30 minutes later.

katharine m Oak Creek, WI

Helpful product description for comparison. Easy to order. Prompt and free delivery. Love my new TV.

Cliff Good Chicago, IL

I like the fact that you are able to get top quality products, with payment options along with friendly and helpful advice. Not to mention the lifetime technical support, as well as a generous 60 day return.

Toni Montuori

Fantastic electronics store. The selection is awesome and they feature tip top brands. I have ordered hundreds of dollars of stereo equipment from them and have never been disappointed.

Mike and Carol Harrington Sahuarita, AZ

Had a quick question on the install instructions sent by Crutchfield. Was able to talk to someone quickly (a rare thing these days), and the guy who helped me was great. Speakers are now successfully installed and sound AMAZING.

Geoff Elliott Ames, IA

Need a replacement radio for my 2004 Silverado after the factory radio quit working. Found an model that was a direct fit. Great directions for the installations. The wire harnesses made for a play replacement. New radio and new speakers, the old truck never sounded better

Larry Beaudry Rutland, VT

The short delivery time was awesome! Two days at my doorstep from the order time. Great quality. I had a small snag in the installation that was quickly resolved by a Crutchfield technician. I would highly recommend Crutchfield for any of your electronic needs!!

Kelly King Harrodsburg, KY

This is my second purchase from Crutchfield and it's always a pleasure. They had what I wanted and two-day free shipping as well! Hard to pass up a deal like that. The online experience is always easy and the price was right for the DAC that I ordered. They always have a deal or two as well. Crutchfield is a great place to get electronic gear and I'll buy from them again.

ed s. Bakersfield, CA

I've been buying from Crutchfield for almost 20 years. Not often but I have no complaints. Even with my previous order I wasn't 100% happy and I was able to return it for a full refund even though I installed it. You just don't see that kind of service. That's why I'm here as a customer for another 20+ years The order I just placed and received arrived a day faster than promised and that worked perfect for me. Thank you Crutchfield

SNC N Idaho Chicago, IL

Amazingly fast shipping, accurate instructions and secure packaging. The speakers were a little disappointing; they don't sound that much better than the stock B&O (Ford) speakers in my F250. May have to do more (amplifier)? If I had to do it again, I would have ordered the Hertz speakers, but that's not Crutchfield's fault; they did a great job.

Timothy Stone San Diego, CA

This was the shortest installation I have ever had for a car radio. It took me only 10 minutes to install the radio and connect the wires. Wires were pre-installed on the Steering wheel control module by Crutchfield and all I had to do was plug in three connectors and the antenna and it was ready to go. System came right on and everything worked as designed the first time.

Ken D. Richmond, KY

Since they are a past client of mine and I thought highly of them back then, now that I'm just a customer of theirs just confirms what I've always believed. Knowledgeable, customer-focused and straight-forward in their dealings, reasonable in their pricing and strong in selection. Just good solid people to do business with, regardless of which side of the table you are on.

Arden Philpot Tulare, CA

Love Crutchfield best products great prices and 2nd day delivery to California Sweet!!!

Hannah Ruland Scappoose, OR

Staff is very helpful. Instructions are easy to follow. Very helpful all around.