Crutchfield Logo
LAST UPDATED: September 16th, 2021
Crutchfield’s online catalog has its origins in the company’s first year of business, when sales were poor in 1974. During the first year, the company didn’t sell very many items. Bill Crutchfield, the owner, mailed out a questionnaire to find out why customers weren’t buying products, asking customers what the company needed to do better. Customers replied that they didn’t know much about car audio, and were scared by the thought of putting one in their vehicle. The questionnaire prompted Bill Crutchfield to start filling the catalog with useful information about car audio. The company built this experience into their corporate DNA, offering superior customer service to its clients. Since 1974, the company has put car audio components into over 12,500 cars.

The Good

• Great customer service
  • Lifetime support
  • Extensive audio selection
We seriously felt that Crutchfield has one of the best customer service setups in the industry of online electronics stores. Here are some of the features of Crutchfield's superior customer service:
  • Free lifetime tech support for your audio products ($99 if your products were purchased somewhere else).
  • Free audio installation kits with most car audio products.
  • A generous 60-day return policy, however, the items must be returned completely packaged and undamaged.
  • An extensive knowledge base that includes installation guides and how to purchase product guides.
We liked that the lifetime support for products was also available if you purchased your product from another company. In our opinion, this is an indication of Crutchfield's dedication to customer service. We liked finding an online electronics retailer that specialized in one market, specifically audio products. The online product catalog also has a very unique search feature, something that we didn't see in the industry. To search for the car audio that is appropriate for your vehicle, the website catalog prompts the customer to enter their vehicle manufacture year, the car brand, and the car make. The catalog will then present the customer with a complete listing of audio products that is appropriate for their vehicle. We also liked the array of televisions and other products available through Crutchfield. Crutchfield has three different models of OLED TVs. The prices range from $3,499 to $9,999. We found it difficult to find a wide range of prices for OLEDs from other providers in the industry. The customer experience with Crutchfield is also reflected by a positive reviews. The customer mistakenly selected the wrong type of wire harness. Crutchfield sent the client a free wire harness, the correct one, and did not ask the customer to return the faulty wire harness. We also liked the extensive professional audio selection category. Here are some of the item categories that we found with Crutchfield's professional audio product selection:
  • PA Speakers
  • Audio recording equipment
  • A wide array of microphones
  • Monitors for recording and public performance
  • Computer recording
  • Pro Audio Headphones
  • Home recording solutions
  • Cables and Snakes
  • Stands, cases, racks and bags.
The website also included extensive articles and guides for each product category. One article described the benefits of having touchscreen displays as part of a car audio system. One audio talked about car audio factory sound processors and how a new stereo could be easily integrated with a factory sound processor. The article also gave customers options on how to decide whether or not they should keep their factory sound processor or purchase a new one.

The Bad

• More information
  • More products for devices
We couldn't really identify any "negative" aspects of Crutchfield's website, but we did have a few suggestions to improve the site's overall functionality and appearance, as well as increase the overall customer experience:
  • For classic cars and motorcycles, we would like to see more "vintage" products available. Some of the electronics for classic cars had a digital display, limiting the "vintage" look of the radio display.
  • Increase the number of GPS units and resources available for motorcycles, as there are only two GPS types for motorcycles.
  • Better define how to package a product if it is going to be returned. The website doesn't give very good information for how to repackage a product and the amount of a restocking fee.
We wish that the catalog contained a bit more information on each individual product and how it might be integrated into an existing audio system. We were somewhat concerned by the factory sound processor article, as it read somewhat like a blurb trying to get the customer to purchase more Crutchfield equipment. Even though Crutchfield is an audio component provider for cars, we would like to see more products such as smartphones, MP3s, and maybe even tablets that customers could hook up to their new stereo system, whether or not the item is for a home.

The Bottom Line

We appreciated our service experience with Crutchfield immensely. Here are the things that we liked about Crutchfield:
  • The great customer service, an idea that is built into the very core of their business operations.
  • The free lifetime support for products purchased directly from Crutchfield
  • The free installation gear that comes with most car stereo purchases.
We also liked the extensive knowledge base online. While the live chat is not a 24-hour feature, there are a ton of articles that are available to customers 24 hours a day. Also, the knowledge base is free. Some companies, such as Best Buy, require the customer to purchase Geek Support or a service plan to repair or install an item. Also, the free installation gear from Crutchfield is hard to beat.

4.9

sharanadee braithwaite Ephraim, UT

Great products. Fast shipping. My favorite part is being able to add my vehicle. Pick some great stuff and Crutchfield adds the necessary equipment I need to make everything work like it should. Saves me time trying to research.

Stephen Hornak Cypress, CA

Excellent customer service. Amazing offers of free and comprehensive installation guides. Free brackets needed to install the speakers. Free wire harness that make installation plug and play. No cutting wires and soldering. Excellent search guide tailored for my vehicle. I cant say enough good things about Crutchfield and I WILL be back to buy the rest of the speakers I need.

Jay Hensley Holly Springs, NC

Shopping at Crutchfield is always a pleasure. They have very fast standard shipping and when you purchase from them you know you will get the best customer support should you have an issue. Their technical documentation is second to none. If buying audio equipment for your car their website will guide you to the right product for your make and model. Highly recommend!

Doug Winland Zanesville, OH

Yamaha AV unit working well for surround sound still exploring all the features. FM reception better than the 12 year old Onkyo unit that recently failed.

Cliff Good Chicago, IL

I like the fact that you are able to get top quality products, with payment options along with friendly and helpful advice. Not to mention the lifetime technical support, as well as a generous 60 day return.

Mike and Carol Harrington Sahuarita, AZ

Had a quick question on the install instructions sent by Crutchfield. Was able to talk to someone quickly (a rare thing these days), and the guy who helped me was great. Speakers are now successfully installed and sound AMAZING.

Chad Meadows Three Rivers, MI

Look....I really don't want to seem weird.lol.but I'm 47 year's old and have been buying my stereo equipment from them for 30-31 years ..... Seriously...way before there were e-mail addresses. They have from day one stood behind every sale and made good for any imperfections immediately and without question TOOK CARE of the customer in every way shape and form..... and pleasantly! Amazing job to your company and staff! Thank you crutchfield and staff for keeping this company #1 for price, dependability and customer service since day one in 1974

upnorthwi Philadelphia, PA

I purchased the Sanus WSTV1 TV stand as I needed a pedestal type mount for my application. This stand is heavy duty, all steel and weighs 30 pounds. It will easily hold most TV's and all hardware is included. As far as my purchase from Crutchfield, I choose to buy one from the Outlet. I've done that previously and products were virtually new. So I decided top save a few bucks. Everything was packaged as new with the exception of a lot of the hardware was not separated and was in a ziplock bag, I suppose from the previous purchaser. That was a little irritating having to sort it out and figure what was used for what. If purchased new, every fastener is separated by size. I'm happy with the stand, and went to do a review on it. Then I noticed the price was lowered almost $20.00 on it. I contacted Crutchfield and they immediately refunded the difference. Excellent company to do business with, never disappointed. They may be a little more sometimes, but I'll pay for good customer service and support. I've been a customer for over 40 years.

Pete Garden City, MI

Great products. All necessary components were included. I’ve never had an issue and has used Crutchfield for several projects. 👍

[email protected] Thompsonville, IL

Amazing company and great product. Fast service product came in in perfect shape. Will definitely tell my friends about it. Thanks for the great service

Toni Montuori

Fantastic electronics store. The selection is awesome and they feature tip top brands. I have ordered hundreds of dollars of stereo equipment from them and have never been disappointed.

Geoff Elliott Ames, IA

Need a replacement radio for my 2004 Silverado after the factory radio quit working. Found an model that was a direct fit. Great directions for the installations. The wire harnesses made for a play replacement. New radio and new speakers, the old truck never sounded better

Larry Beaudry Rutland, VT

The short delivery time was awesome! Two days at my doorstep from the order time. Great quality. I had a small snag in the installation that was quickly resolved by a Crutchfield technician. I would highly recommend Crutchfield for any of your electronic needs!!

Kelly King Harrodsburg, KY

This is my second purchase from Crutchfield and it's always a pleasure. They had what I wanted and two-day free shipping as well! Hard to pass up a deal like that. The online experience is always easy and the price was right for the DAC that I ordered. They always have a deal or two as well. Crutchfield is a great place to get electronic gear and I'll buy from them again.

ed s. Bakersfield, CA

I've been buying from Crutchfield for almost 20 years. Not often but I have no complaints. Even with my previous order I wasn't 100% happy and I was able to return it for a full refund even though I installed it. You just don't see that kind of service. That's why I'm here as a customer for another 20+ years The order I just placed and received arrived a day faster than promised and that worked perfect for me. Thank you Crutchfield

Wayne Holsinger Moneta, VA

Fast shipping and I know I can always call them if I have a question or problem.

Mr. P71 Sacramento, CA

Great place to start your search for car audio. Their website is superb for comparing specs and finding what fits in your car. You can sometimes find better prices elsewhere but they're usually comparable if not better when adding free installation kits and shipping into the calculations. Their customer support for installation is amazing! I once had a problem and the rep I got wasn't familiar with either the car or the product. He (the rep) asked to put me on hold and then said someone else would call me in a few minutes. I figured I was screwed but about 10 minutes later another rep called and walked me through my issues and I was on the road 30 minutes later.

Thomas Riggs Columbus, OH

My experience was good. I like the hassle free everything being included what's the stereo. I give you 5 stars.

p Brooklyn, NY

wanted to replace my car speakers. I asked for plug and play. What I was advised to purchase was NOT PLUG AND PLAY. The person who helped me was very knowledgeable about the products but really didn't listen to my needs and requests. In the end there are just salesmen. No installation directions came with the product. I had to figure out everything by myself. in the future I am going to a local shop for all my audio needs

Dennis Cicero Westminster, MD

Nice pricing on a good product Fed x delivery was better than usual,I prefer UPS for there consistently and professionalism

Gary Wneck Severn, MD

Great experience! Delivery of my new receiver by the next day! Very pleased with the new component so far and looking forward to a long time of enjoyment.

Bean Parker Catonsville, MD

Excellent selection in many categories. Very fair pricing. Excellent customer service before and after the purchase. Too few companies operate this way anymore!!

Mike Akikie Cambridge, MA

As usual my experience was excellent. I got a great product at a great price and the speakers that I ordered came with everything I needed to connect them to my vehicle included in the price

Bob Hicks Sistersville, WV

Same quality of service since I first used them in the early 80's. Great source material and the product identification has never went wrong. Their wiring service is well worth the money Dan F. did quality work. Thanks.

SNC N Idaho Chicago, IL

Amazingly fast shipping, accurate instructions and secure packaging. The speakers were a little disappointing; they don't sound that much better than the stock B&O (Ford) speakers in my F250. May have to do more (amplifier)? If I had to do it again, I would have ordered the Hertz speakers, but that's not Crutchfield's fault; they did a great job.

Timothy Stone San Diego, CA

This was the shortest installation I have ever had for a car radio. It took me only 10 minutes to install the radio and connect the wires. Wires were pre-installed on the Steering wheel control module by Crutchfield and all I had to do was plug in three connectors and the antenna and it was ready to go. System came right on and everything worked as designed the first time.

Ken D. Richmond, KY

Since they are a past client of mine and I thought highly of them back then, now that I'm just a customer of theirs just confirms what I've always believed. Knowledgeable, customer-focused and straight-forward in their dealings, reasonable in their pricing and strong in selection. Just good solid people to do business with, regardless of which side of the table you are on.

JJWalsh Coatesville, PA

Wow! I wish shopping were this easy everywhere. I needed to replace the radio receiver in my daughter's 2006 Acura MDX. While searching for a new receiver, I came across Crutchfield. I had never purchased from them before. I will again, though. Their level of service and quality of information is light years ahead of the competition. Crutchfield's web interface made it easy to narrow my search to only those receivers that would fit in her car. Once I chose the receiver I wanted, Crutchfield suggested all the other stuff I'd need to install the new receiver. As soon as I placed my order they emailed me installation instructions...for the 2006 Acura MDX! When products arrived, one day later, I was surprised to find that every wire in the new wiring harness was clearly and accurately labelled specifically for my installation. The installation was a breeze. Now my daughter's 2006 Acura MDX has Apple CarPlay with a large touchscreen interface, hands free voice control, and steering wheel control for volume and play.

Jeff Cuomo Phoenix, AZ

Happy that Crutchfield has the inventory to be able to ship when most don't. Great overall experience.

Steve Skibbens Decatur, IL

Dylan was/ is amazing. We talked about what I was interested in and she answered my questions then helped me with my order

Brian Robbins Milford, DE

Have dealt with Crutchfield for 20 years. No better electronics retailer out there. The set the bar in customer service and ease of ordering.

Jack Baltimore, MD

Excellent in every way! Aaron provided prompt and informative answers to all my (many) questions. My speakers arrived the day after I ordered them.

Donny Pasquinelli Canonsburg, PA

When I purchased the replacement speakers for my truck, Crutchfield made it seem like the new speakers would fit just like the existing speakers. That couldn’t have been further from the truth. I couldn’t believe how much cutting I had to do to get everything to fit. Good thing I had a Dremel. The process probably took double the time it should have.

Ralph Gordon Vallejo, CA

Crutchfield has impressed me with a level of support that I rarely see online. The web site was a pleasure to use and the purchase experience very satisfying. Thanks to everyone who helped me.

Jeff Brandt Winchester, KY

I looked all over the internet for the Bose 301 speakers, even the Bose on-line store and could not find them. Thank goodness for Crutchfield. They arrived on schedule and on time. And they sound great.

James Elrod Youngstown, OH

Sonny did an excellent job helping me with my purchase.

Josh K. Dover, DE

Their customer service, packaging, and overall effort that they put into everything they do is next level. I have been a customer for around 5 years, and anything car audio I will always purchase from Crutchfield. Highly recommend to any and everyone.

Tanner Baber Huntington, IN

After Amazon, Walmart and Youtube, I could not install a working radio in my truck. Crutchfield walked me through everything I needed (things nowhere else told me I needed) and had great instructions for wiring. Would definitely recommend to anyone!

The Duuude Ashburn, VA

Tech support was great for guiding my purchase. The solution I needed was not available in the "My Vehicle" list online, but tech support was able to save me a lot of time and $$$ with the product they recommended. Such a welcome change from other audio outlets that try to up-sell.

chris apel Albany, OR

The availability on all of the most sought after product, is almost always available when I want it. I've been sold on Rockford fosgate from the beginning . your pricing and delivery as well as customer service has well exceeded my expectations. Keep up the fantastic customer sales and service. Your customer for life, Christopher Apel.

Scottyvee Cleveland, OH

The part I ordered worked great, had everything and good instructions to set up and wire: also not many people knew y’all had this part so I shared it with my car community to make sure they are aware who to go to for great products! You should start carrying skar audio, you’d be getting a lot of my money soon!

Bob Decatur, IL

The prices and quality brands are the best about this company. I've ordered from here for 20+ years now. What I'm not crazy about is having to print my own install instructions. Paper copies in my packaging would've helped and was expected. Having to find a printer and print my email linked introductions was very inconvenient. These used to be already printed and included. You should at least give the customers the option of having paper.

Gregory Huff New York, NY

Purchased the Sennheiser Flex 5000 for my wife who has difficulty hearing, particularly the voices in shows and films. She says Flex makes a world of difference. I've purchased several other great products from Crutchfield and have been extremely pleased with their extensive info /insights/reviews of all the great equipment they carry. Crutchfield is the personification of expertise. As an important side note, Crutchfield's customer reward/points program is really very cool.

Robert Euton Coshocton, OH

Iam a return customer at Crutchfield. This time I purchased a Samsung Soundbar Q70T to work with my Samsung Q80R tv I purchased a year ago. I received great guidance from the two employees that helped me with all my Questions. I am very happy with my purchase and will buy from them in the future. I have also reccomend them to my friends here in Ohio.

Larry Davick Richmond, CA

A+ Ordering was easy, shipping was faster than expected, telephone support was top-notch. I know Crutchfield’s pricing is fair, but for all the extra value you get it’s a bargain! Replacing the old radio in my 2003 Sequoia is something I’ve wanted to do for a long time. I kick myself for not doing it sooner. It took about 45 minutes from start to finish, And even though I did not replace the amplifiers or the speakers I think it sounds so much better. Having Apple CarPlay was so helpful trying to navigate in Los Angeles.

Art Nesbitt New Castle, PA

Always a perfect shopping experience! Simple to order, pay and ship. Fast service!

Michael Golden Yorktown, VA

1 day delivery time Instructions were great Speakers installed in less than 2 hours

Dr. Z. Provo, UT

I've received the order in a 'promptly way!' My 'beef' is with the delivery co., which just left the box at the door...rang the bell & went away... The box had some 'cuts' on it, as well as one of the corners was dented! (Again,... I believe that this is NONE on Crutchfield!) The inside packing had also a little bit of a 'cut' (- corresponding w/ the ones on the outside box, of course -) as well as some 'dents on one of the 'Styrofoam blocks." No visible damage on any of the pieces. (Not sure -as yet - IF they will 'fit' our "room situation!') ( "PICS' were taken, just in case....) Anyway... prompt services! Good luck in all! Keep up the good work! Merry Christmas & a Very Happy New Year to all (& to all a very god nigh!)! :) ) BE & STAY SAFE! - USE A FACE COVERING! Dr. Z.

ChattMatt Norcross, GA

I haven’t shopped at Crutchfield in decades, but needed a Bluetooth radio for my wife’s old car on her birthday. I remembered the great customer service on the phone, in a dialect I could understand. Called them up and had the most pleasant and amazing experience getting the radio appropriate for her skill level and my price point. Crutchfield has mastered online tech for retail! The rep was able to send info on every model I was interested in to my phone. The entire process was quick and effortless! Maybe I’ll get a Bluetooth radio for my old car for my birthday next month. If I do, it will come from Crutchfield.

Allen H. Bloomington, IL

I recently decided I was going to assemble a hi-fi system and promised my wife I would do so being as financially responsible as possible. I took a chance and bought a "scratch & dent" Blusound Node 2i from Crutchfield saving $150 over buying new. It arrived yesterday and I opened the box and set it up this morning. So far this unit is flawless! I have no idea why this was sold as "scratch & dent" as I see and hear absolutely nothing, outside of tape on the original box, that would cause me to believe it's not a brand new unit! I'm beyond impressed and will not hesitate to purchase from Crutchfield again, whether brand new or outlet items!