Crutchfield Logo
Crutchfield’s online catalog has its origins in the company’s first year of business, when sales were poor in 1974. During the first year, the company didn’t sell very many items. Bill Crutchfield, the owner, mailed out a questionnaire to find out why customers weren’t buying products, asking customers what the company needed to do better. Customers replied that they didn’t know much about car audio, and were scared by the thought of putting one in their vehicle. The questionnaire prompted Bill Crutchfield to start filling the catalog with useful information about car audio. The company built this experience into their corporate DNA, offering superior customer service to its clients. Since 1974, the company has put car audio components into over 12,500 cars.

The Good

• Great customer service
  • Lifetime support
  • Extensive audio selection
We seriously felt that Crutchfield has one of the best customer service setups in the industry of online electronics stores. Here are some of the features of Crutchfield's superior customer service:
  • Free lifetime tech support for your audio products ($99 if your products were purchased somewhere else).
  • Free audio installation kits with most car audio products.
  • A generous 60-day return policy, however, the items must be returned completely packaged and undamaged.
  • An extensive knowledge base that includes installation guides and how to purchase product guides.
We liked that the lifetime support for products was also available if you purchased your product from another company. In our opinion, this is an indication of Crutchfield's dedication to customer service. We liked finding an online electronics retailer that specialized in one market, specifically audio products. The online product catalog also has a very unique search feature, something that we didn't see in the industry. To search for the car audio that is appropriate for your vehicle, the website catalog prompts the customer to enter their vehicle manufacture year, the car brand, and the car make. The catalog will then present the customer with a complete listing of audio products that is appropriate for their vehicle. We also liked the array of televisions and other products available through Crutchfield. Crutchfield has three different models of OLED TVs. The prices range from $3,499 to $9,999. We found it difficult to find a wide range of prices for OLEDs from other providers in the industry. The customer experience with Crutchfield is also reflected by a positive reviews. The customer mistakenly selected the wrong type of wire harness. Crutchfield sent the client a free wire harness, the correct one, and did not ask the customer to return the faulty wire harness. We also liked the extensive professional audio selection category. Here are some of the item categories that we found with Crutchfield's professional audio product selection:
  • PA Speakers
  • Audio recording equipment
  • A wide array of microphones
  • Monitors for recording and public performance
  • Computer recording
  • Pro Audio Headphones
  • Home recording solutions
  • Cables and Snakes
  • Stands, cases, racks and bags.
The website also included extensive articles and guides for each product category. One article described the benefits of having touchscreen displays as part of a car audio system. One audio talked about car audio factory sound processors and how a new stereo could be easily integrated with a factory sound processor. The article also gave customers options on how to decide whether or not they should keep their factory sound processor or purchase a new one.

The Bad

• More information
  • More products for devices
We couldn't really identify any "negative" aspects of Crutchfield's website, but we did have a few suggestions to improve the site's overall functionality and appearance, as well as increase the overall customer experience:
  • For classic cars and motorcycles, we would like to see more "vintage" products available. Some of the electronics for classic cars had a digital display, limiting the "vintage" look of the radio display.
  • Increase the number of GPS units and resources available for motorcycles, as there are only two GPS types for motorcycles.
  • Better define how to package a product if it is going to be returned. The website doesn't give very good information for how to repackage a product and the amount of a restocking fee.
We wish that the catalog contained a bit more information on each individual product and how it might be integrated into an existing audio system. We were somewhat concerned by the factory sound processor article, as it read somewhat like a blurb trying to get the customer to purchase more Crutchfield equipment. Even though Crutchfield is an audio component provider for cars, we would like to see more products such as smartphones, MP3s, and maybe even tablets that customers could hook up to their new stereo system, whether or not the item is for a home.

The Bottom Line

We appreciated our service experience with Crutchfield immensely. Here are the things that we liked about Crutchfield:
  • The great customer service, an idea that is built into the very core of their business operations.
  • The free lifetime support for products purchased directly from Crutchfield
  • The free installation gear that comes with most car stereo purchases.
We also liked the extensive knowledge base online. While the live chat is not a 24-hour feature, there are a ton of articles that are available to customers 24 hours a day. Also, the knowledge base is free. Some companies, such as Best Buy, require the customer to purchase Geek Support or a service plan to repair or install an item. Also, the free installation gear from Crutchfield is hard to beat.

4.9

Tanner Baber Huntington, IN

After Amazon, Walmart and Youtube, I could not install a working radio in my truck. Crutchfield walked me through everything I needed (things nowhere else told me I needed) and had great instructions for wiring. Would definitely recommend to anyone!

Timothy Stone San Diego, CA

This was the shortest installation I have ever had for a car radio. It took me only 10 minutes to install the radio and connect the wires. Wires were pre-installed on the Steering wheel control module by Crutchfield and all I had to do was plug in three connectors and the antenna and it was ready to go. System came right on and everything worked as designed the first time.

Kym T Las Vegas, NV

After being sold the wrong parts by another retailer, we ordered the connection kit from Crutchfield. It had everything needed for a smooth transition with the new stereo, and detailed instructions. Thank you!!!!

Ken D. Richmond, KY

Since they are a past client of mine and I thought highly of them back then, now that I'm just a customer of theirs just confirms what I've always believed. Knowledgeable, customer-focused and straight-forward in their dealings, reasonable in their pricing and strong in selection. Just good solid people to do business with, regardless of which side of the table you are on.

Robert Graser Lynnwood, WA

Fast shipping to West Coast and great selection of gear. Great resources to research and choose gear that is right for you with top notch support if needed.

chris apel Albany, OR

The availability on all of the most sought after product, is almost always available when I want it. I've been sold on Rockford fosgate from the beginning . your pricing and delivery as well as customer service has well exceeded my expectations. Keep up the fantastic customer sales and service. Your customer for life, Christopher Apel.

Scottyvee Cleveland, OH

The part I ordered worked great, had everything and good instructions to set up and wire: also not many people knew y’all had this part so I shared it with my car community to make sure they are aware who to go to for great products! You should start carrying skar audio, you’d be getting a lot of my money soon!

Bob Decatur, IL

The prices and quality brands are the best about this company. I've ordered from here for 20+ years now. What I'm not crazy about is having to print my own install instructions. Paper copies in my packaging would've helped and was expected. Having to find a printer and print my email linked introductions was very inconvenient. These used to be already printed and included. You should at least give the customers the option of having paper.

Nathan Oprea Newton, NH

Great price on the product I was looking for, super fast shipping and it is perfect. The box was a bit destroyed with packing peanuts coming out the sides, but hardly Crutchfield’s fault. I’m just glad it wasn’t a fragile item inside. Overall, I would totally do the transaction again.

Gregory Huff New York, NY

Purchased the Sennheiser Flex 5000 for my wife who has difficulty hearing, particularly the voices in shows and films. She says Flex makes a world of difference. I've purchased several other great products from Crutchfield and have been extremely pleased with their extensive info /insights/reviews of all the great equipment they carry. Crutchfield is the personification of expertise. As an important side note, Crutchfield's customer reward/points program is really very cool.

Anthony Schiro DeLand, FL

I have purchased from Crutchfield for over 30 years. One of my favorite companies to get things from. Always the best service for great products! Thanks

Gwen Hurd Smyrna, GA

Shopping experience was great! The transaction was smooth. This was not my first purchase at Crutchfield. I have made many purchases in the past. Crutchfield is a long time very trusted expert in Stereo Electronics.

Charles Fahr Soldiers Grove, WI

I've heard about this company for years and remember there catalogue. I was hesitant about a purchase this this size being shipped. Well they arrived in two days and were perfect , no scratches or dents. I was very pleased. I'm patiently still waiting for my amp witch is not in stock.

Dana Mason Appleton, WI

My experience was great. Unfortunately, I expected more from a receiver rated @ 100 watts / channel. It did not remotely perform as well as a 1972 Realistic receiver rated @65 -75 watts/ channel. Oh well. Good enough for tea parties. Other than that; ordering tracking shipment was a breeze and delivery was right on time. Thanks Rex and Eric.

Robert Euton Coshocton, OH

Iam a return customer at Crutchfield. This time I purchased a Samsung Soundbar Q70T to work with my Samsung Q80R tv I purchased a year ago. I received great guidance from the two employees that helped me with all my Questions. I am very happy with my purchase and will buy from them in the future. I have also reccomend them to my friends here in Ohio.

Rossi Parlin, NJ

I like when a company backs up the product they sell and offers you technical support 👍

peter harmatuk Poolesville, MD

I love the custom support at Crutchfield. There have been a number of cases where I have needed to buy an electronic component but the number and selection had overwhelmed me. A conversation, along with a range of recommendation from their very knowledgeable customer support personnel led me to make a purchase. It all cases, I was completely satisfied. In one case, the product did not fit and the return was extremely easy and cost free. They are my go to store when I need to make an informed choice.

JJWalsh Coatesville, PA

Wow! I wish shopping were this easy everywhere. I needed to replace the radio receiver in my daughter's 2006 Acura MDX. While searching for a new receiver, I came across Crutchfield. I had never purchased from them before. I will again, though. Their level of service and quality of information is light years ahead of the competition. Crutchfield's web interface made it easy to narrow my search to only those receivers that would fit in her car. Once I chose the receiver I wanted, Crutchfield suggested all the other stuff I'd need to install the new receiver. As soon as I placed my order they emailed me installation instructions...for the 2006 Acura MDX! When products arrived, one day later, I was surprised to find that every wire in the new wiring harness was clearly and accurately labelled specifically for my installation. The installation was a breeze. Now my daughter's 2006 Acura MDX has Apple CarPlay with a large touchscreen interface, hands free voice control, and steering wheel control for volume and play.

Dr. Z. Provo, UT

I've received the order in a 'promptly way!' My 'beef' is with the delivery co., which just left the box at the door...rang the bell & went away... The box had some 'cuts' on it, as well as one of the corners was dented! (Again,... I believe that this is NONE on Crutchfield!) The inside packing had also a little bit of a 'cut' (- corresponding w/ the ones on the outside box, of course -) as well as some 'dents on one of the 'Styrofoam blocks." No visible damage on any of the pieces. (Not sure -as yet - IF they will 'fit' our "room situation!') ( "PICS' were taken, just in case....) Anyway... prompt services! Good luck in all! Keep up the good work! Merry Christmas & a Very Happy New Year to all (& to all a very god nigh!)! :) ) BE & STAY SAFE! - USE A FACE COVERING! Dr. Z.

Dennis Scelza Avondale, AZ

I purchased 4 of the Definitive Technology surround series speakers. Delivery was fast and although I purchased the discounted outlet the speakers were in perfect condition.

John Pesco Aiken, SC

Bought a couple of Polk Audio Speakers. Quality product at great price. Crutchfield provides very detailed information about numerous products relative to specs of equipment etc. Extremely useful information and reviews.

Anthony Granillo Santa Ana, CA

Best service online , my orders are always to the Point. Shipping service is really quick. Pricing is from fair to competitive. Plus I always can contact support if I have issues with installing or set up. Thank You To All Crutchfield Employees!!

richard Dubois Hanover, NH

As always (my experience) the staff are very helpful. Their approach has been that of wanting to facilitate a result that will leave you satisfied, and once in my case save one from a mistake, while coincidentally saving me money.

Dana Wong Mashpee, MA

Had an issue with my credit card flagging the purchase as fraudulent use, but once I straightened it out with the credit card company and called Crutchfield customer service they got the order placed within 5 minutes. Three days later I had my new Yamaha receiver and loving it.

Larry Davick Richmond, CA

A+ Ordering was easy, shipping was faster than expected, telephone support was top-notch. I know Crutchfield’s pricing is fair, but for all the extra value you get it’s a bargain! Replacing the old radio in my 2003 Sequoia is something I’ve wanted to do for a long time. I kick myself for not doing it sooner. It took about 45 minutes from start to finish, And even though I did not replace the amplifiers or the speakers I think it sounds so much better. Having Apple CarPlay was so helpful trying to navigate in Los Angeles.

Bill Dorsch Springfield, IL

I am completely satisfied with my car audio purchase from Crutchfield. They identified and supplied all of the needed installation components including a plug and play wire harness that was well worth the extra cost. Very detailed vehicle specific installation instructions and also provided downloadable manuals for all components. Fantastic company to do business with.

ChattMatt Norcross, GA

I haven’t shopped at Crutchfield in decades, but needed a Bluetooth radio for my wife’s old car on her birthday. I remembered the great customer service on the phone, in a dialect I could understand. Called them up and had the most pleasant and amazing experience getting the radio appropriate for her skill level and my price point. Crutchfield has mastered online tech for retail! The rep was able to send info on every model I was interested in to my phone. The entire process was quick and effortless! Maybe I’ll get a Bluetooth radio for my old car for my birthday next month. If I do, it will come from Crutchfield.

Allen H. Bloomington, IL

I recently decided I was going to assemble a hi-fi system and promised my wife I would do so being as financially responsible as possible. I took a chance and bought a "scratch & dent" Blusound Node 2i from Crutchfield saving $150 over buying new. It arrived yesterday and I opened the box and set it up this morning. So far this unit is flawless! I have no idea why this was sold as "scratch & dent" as I see and hear absolutely nothing, outside of tape on the original box, that would cause me to believe it's not a brand new unit! I'm beyond impressed and will not hesitate to purchase from Crutchfield again, whether brand new or outlet items!

Aj Martin ,

My purchase included everything I needed for my audio installation, with great instructions. I will definitely be purchasing my future audio equipment from crutchfield.

Canuck Mike St. Petersburg, FL

Risk free purchase guarantee, easy ordering or return. Lifetime tech support for purchased items with local US based technicians. All in all a great experience.

Peter Harmatuk Columbia, MD

Crutch field is a little different than other electronics shops in that their customer service is far and beyond the best in the business. They’ve got great product reviews and amazingly detailed guides and walkthroughs.

Doreen Gonzalez Caguas,

Kind of dissappointed I paid $73.29 for my express shipping to receive it at January 6 2021 at 3:00p.m. This was my husband present. I finally received it today Friday January 8 . I wrote down all the trip that it take. Its not fair to pay so much money if you are not going to delivery it in time. Jan. 7, 2021 - 12:09 PM SAN JUAN PR DISTRIBUTION CENTER Departed USPS Regional Destination Facility Jan. 7, 2021 - 12:09 PM SAN JUAN PR DISTRIBUTION CENTER Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility Jan. 5, 2021 - 6:27 PM RICHMOND VA DISTRIBUTION CENTER Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility Jan. 5, 2021 - 5:12 PM EARLYSVILLE VA Accepted at USPS Origin Facility Jan. 3, 2021 - 11:24 PM EARLYSVILLE VA Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item

Melissa J. Martin White Haven, PA

Customer support is second to none! They solve problems I didn't even think of, a true team of support! Every purchase has arrived at least one day early. I'm a customer for life! I tell EVERYBODY I know about CRUTCHFIELD, and always will!

Harry Guenther ,

I chose Crutchfield because of their fine reputation and the fact that they are not a big box chain store. It's important to support small businesses, especially during the pandemic. I could have purchased the same item on Amazon for one dollar less, but Crutchfield offers the same quick ship benefit without having to pay an annual premium.

Eric Canton, GA

I have only ordered car audio so far. The master sheet you get for anything you need to do is very nice. It's amazing how quickly my orders have arrived. They're always neatly packaged with the order summary in the box. 2013 Silverado and a 2001 Chevy Blazer.

Darryl Bostic Sr. Los Angeles, CA

I received Polk HTS10 on time and I think I paid a great price for it. I love my Polk Sub, it performs exactly as advertised. I've order from Crutchfield in the past, and they haven't disappointed me. I never had to contact customer service because they were always on top of things. So from 1 to 10, they definitely get a 10 from me.

Bryan Quick Southington, CT

Great knowledge, helpful staff. I’ve been a customer for 19 years and I’m 41 years old. Some things you just got to trust in and this company has to be one of them. Thanks for being one of my top choices for all things audio/video.

Paul Barry Muskegon, MI

I had several buying choices for the Sonos bluetooth speaker but Crutchfield offered the best net price after using their Top Cashback discount. Beyond that, they shipped the product in excellent condition and right when it was promised. I'll definately be using Crutchfield again for future purchases.

Todd Kuhl Bowling Green, OH

Best: customer service. They will help you out with any questions you have, and if the equipment you bought just isn't doing quite what you wanted, they'll take it back. Least: somewhat limited brands. This may be due to their desire to be knowledgeable about everything they sell, but additional manufacturers would be nice.

michael nutting Davenport, FL

Quick and timely delivery of products. I will purchase again from Crutchfield.

J Gammal San Jose, CA

Easy and overall excellent experience for my first ever Crutchfield purchase.

AkuaAkai Valley Springs, CA

I have been a customer of Crutchfield for over 25 years. Customer service and technical support is excellent. Products are high quality first rate. The staff is always ready and willing to help you with any issue or product set up you might need. They go above an d beyond to make sure you are satisfied with your purchase. I would not and do not hesitate to purchase any product from their large selection for my video, car, home theater and audio needs. Great experience and outstanding delivery. Thanks Crutchfield for being customer oriented with your outstanding support.

JDG Argos, IN

Purchased 3 sets of speakers for my 2019 Mustang. Was able to compare specs, pricing, and all other needed info before purchase. First time user of Crutchfield.. certainly not the last. As a drummer, the geek specs are important to me,(Sensitivity,range,etc) and I was very pleased at info and pricing. The car sounds amazing.. next up is smaller sub box and amp. I'll be buying it here more than likely. JDG

Kevin Haran Oviedo, FL

Instructions were very helpful with installing the receiver and speakers in my 30-year old truck.

Eric Profix ,

Excellent service curtesy call to verify that what I needed it’s correct I was surprised. I’m very happy and satisfied with the purchase. Thanks

Dan Klamath Falls, OR

We purchased speakers for a home media room. Crutchfield prices are attractive and service is superb. The order was for Christmas and Crutchfield got the speakers here in two days so we could place them under the tree.

Mark Mehr Saint Cloud, MN

I ordered product at about noon on Dec 22rd and it arrived on the 24th. I was super happy that it did as it was my only present to unwrap in front of my kids Xmas morning. Thank you very much.

texvegas Miami, FL

Product ordered just before Thanksgiving and received on Saturday. Very pleased with ease and simplicity of ordering online. Packaged very well. Will continue to order from Crutchfield when needed. Thanks guys!

Michael Lee Doss Saint Augustine, FL

The Polk speakers were great, and the installation instructions were simple and concise. Removed and replaced the front speakers in my '99 TJ in less than 30 minutes. Sounds great. Thanks for the help.

Leslie Hart Albany, NY

Surround system arrived as promised in good shape. I had a question about operation of the surround speakers. I tried chat, but the site stated that chat was not available. It was Sunday, but site indicated that I could contact someone at 10:30 AM. I placed a call back for 10:30, but no one ever called. I called again around noon, and got my question answered.