Crutchfield

Crutchfield Logo

9.7

Crutchfield

60 Day Return Policy

Crutchfield’s online catalog has its origins in the company’s first year of business, when sales were poor in 1974. During the first year, the company didn’t sell very many items. Bill Crutchfield, the owner, mailed out a questionnaire to find out why customers weren’t buying products, asking customers what the company needed to do better. Customers replied that they didn’t know much about car audio, and were scared by the thought of putting one in their vehicle. The questionnaire prompted Bill Crutchfield to start filling the catalog with useful information about car audio. The company built this experience into their corporate DNA, offering superior customer service to its clients. Since 1974, the company has put car audio components into over 12,500 cars.

The Good

• Great customer service
  • Lifetime support
  • Extensive audio selection

We seriously felt that Crutchfield has one of the best customer service setups in the industry of online electronics stores. Here are some of the features of Crutchfield's superior customer service:

• Free lifetime tech support for your audio products ($99 if your products were purchased somewhere else).
  • Free audio installation kits with most car audio products.
  • A generous 60-day return policy, however, the items must be returned completely packaged and undamaged.
  • An extensive knowledge base that includes installation guides and how to purchase product guides.

We liked that the lifetime support for products was also available if you purchased your product from another company. In our opinion, this is an indication of Crutchfield's dedication to customer service.

We liked finding an online electronics retailer that specialized in one market, specifically audio products. The online product catalog also has a very unique search feature, something that we didn't see in the industry. To search for the car audio that is appropriate for your vehicle, the website catalog prompts the customer to enter their vehicle manufacture year, the car brand, and the car make. The catalog will then present the customer with a complete listing of audio products that is appropriate for their vehicle.

We also liked the array of televisions and other products available through Crutchfield. Crutchfield has three different models of OLED TVs. The prices range from $3,499 to $9,999. We found it difficult to find a wide range of prices for OLEDs from other providers in the industry.

The customer experience with Crutchfield is also reflected by a positive reviews. The customer mistakenly selected the wrong type of wire harness. Crutchfield sent the client a free wire harness, the correct one, and did not ask the customer to return the faulty wire harness.

We also liked the extensive professional audio selection category. Here are some of the item categories that we found with Crutchfield's professional audio product selection:

• PA Speakers
  • Audio recording equipment
  • A wide array of microphones
  • Monitors for recording and public performance
  • Computer recording
  • Pro Audio Headphones
  • Home recording solutions
  • Cables and Snakes
  • Stands, cases, racks and bags.

The website also included extensive articles and guides for each product category. One article described the benefits of having touchscreen displays as part of a car audio system. One audio talked about car audio factory sound processors and how a new stereo could be easily integrated with a factory sound processor. The article also gave customers options on how to decide whether or not they should keep their factory sound processor or purchase a new one.

The Bad

• More information
  • More products for devices

We couldn't really identify any "negative" aspects of Crutchfield's website, but we did have a few suggestions to improve the site's overall functionality and appearance, as well as increase the overall customer experience:

• For classic cars and motorcycles, we would like to see more "vintage" products available. Some of the electronics for classic cars had a digital display, limiting the "vintage" look of the radio display.
  • Increase the number of GPS units and resources available for motorcycles, as there are only two GPS types for motorcycles.
  • Better define how to package a product if it is going to be returned. The website doesn't give very good information for how to repackage a product and the amount of a restocking fee.

We wish that the catalog contained a bit more information on each individual product and how it might be integrated into an existing audio system. We were somewhat concerned by the factory sound processor article, as it read somewhat like a blurb trying to get the customer to purchase more Crutchfield equipment.
Even though Crutchfield is an audio component provider for cars, we would like to see more products such as smartphones, MP3s, and maybe even tablets that customers could hook up to their new stereo system, whether or not the item is for a home.

The Bottom Line

We appreciated our service experience with Crutchfield immensely. Here are the things that we liked about Crutchfield:

• The great customer service, an idea that is built into the very core of their business operations.
  • The free lifetime support for products purchased directly from Crutchfield
  • The free installation gear that comes with most car stereo purchases.

We also liked the extensive knowledge base online. While the live chat is not a 24-hour feature, there are a ton of articles that are available to customers 24 hours a day. Also, the knowledge base is free. Some companies, such as Best Buy, require the customer to purchase Geek Support or a service plan to repair or install an item. Also, the free installation gear from Crutchfield is hard to beat.

Donna Webb
September 19th, 2018 Cartersville, VA DETAILS

I placed my order one day and received my order the very next day. Everything was perfect. It was a pleasure dealing with Crutchfield and will order from them again.

Donald Henderson
September 19th, 2018 Etowah, NC DETAILS

My purchase was easy! It arrived in 2 days with free shipping! I'm impressed and will definitely shop Crutchfield first from now on. I used to look at the catalog and drool as a teen, now I can buy that killer stereo and electronics with ease. Thanks and I will shop here again!

SCOTT THOMSON
September 17th, 2018 East Bethany, NY DETAILS

SPEAKERS WERE RECEIVED PROMPTLY. HOWEVER, I STILL HAVE HEARD NOTHING ON THE RADIO.

Jeff Heller
September 17th, 2018 Irvine, CA DETAILS

I have decided to upgrade my tired system. The need was an excellent CD player with value added features. Crutchfield offered many offerings within a wide range of pricing. Their information was gold! I was able to purchase an excellent CD player with the desired features, for a very fair price. The Marantz 6006 was perfect and demonstrated a performance far beyond more expensive players. The CD player was delivered quickly and I was very pleased with that.

El
September 17th, 2018 Peoria, IL DETAILS

Really happy with my purchase. Fast shipping. They recommended items and even included free items that help with DIY installation.

Eric Stender
September 17th, 2018 North Port, FL DETAILS

This is the third stereo I ordered through Crutchfields over the years. As always they make it simple to shop by vehicle type. Great products and awesome staff are there to assist along the way.

Robie Jermaine Jones
September 17th, 2018 Spring, TX DETAILS

User-friendly website. Wide selection. Effortless ordering. Reasonable prices. Fast processing and delivery.

Chris Gaspard
September 14th, 2018 Pollock, LA DETAILS

Had to return a Kenwood car stereo. This was painless and made convenient by Crutchfield. Ordered a Sony Replacement and it is an awesome unit. Had an installation problem so I called Crutchfield for assistance helped solve the problem (my error) over the phone. Excellent customer service. Also if you buy a car stereo you get installation instructions for YOUR specific vehicle, as well as a free installation kit (wiring adapter, mounting plate, antennae adapter etc. ) Will not buy from anywhere else!

John Gulla
September 12th, 2018 Oldsmar, FL

I made my first order with Crurchfield for a Denon receiver. I was very pleased with the email follow ups, tracking information, same day shipping and the speed of the delivery. Everything arrived as expected and I am thoroughly enjoying my purchase. Now I will need more speakers! Thank you Crutchfield!

Aimee Levy
September 10th, 2018 New York, NY

The digital TV ears came right on time, 3 days from ordering. They communicated well about the order and delivery.

Melvin Sparks III
September 19th, 2018 Riverside, CA DETAILS

Great price, great selection and fast. They provide great parts and different items to choose from.

Terry Claypool
September 7th, 2018 Owensboro, KY DETAILS

I has no idea what I needed to order and my representative put a package together and it was perfect. No guessing if I had everything. I'll definitely use your company again.

Ray Brittingham
September 6th, 2018 Newark, DE DETAILS

The website was easy to compare stereos and pick the right one for our vehicle. Bought the prewired harness so it was easy pug and play. The installation instructions were right on. Very fast delivery too.

REN
September 6th, 2018 West Sacramento, CA DETAILS

I continue to shop with Crutchfield because customer service is on point! Not to mention they throw in all the needed adapters for installation made easy!

Philip Zielinski
September 6th, 2018 Lancaster, SC DETAILS

I had purchased a auto multi media radio and when testing it in my wife's vehicle I found that her current radio wasn't the problem it was actually a problem with the speakers that turned out to be a common problem with her vehicle. Not really needing the new radio, I requested a return authorization online and within a few hours I had received the approval and return shipping label.

Rob Foster
September 5th, 2018 Renton, WA DETAILS

Price was excellent, delivery was faster than I expected, and the product is perfect for my needs. There was a good selection available, and I was able to find a receiver that had the best combination of quality, features, and price. I will definitely use Crutchfield again.

Natan S Hagopian
September 5th, 2018 Ware, MA DETAILS

Great products with great service and fast shipping, the speaker that I bought sounds great and with the instructions that came with my order everything went in rather well.

Paul Kroushl
September 4th, 2018 Franklin, MA DETAILS

Easy to find what I need, the selection is very good. All the information I needed to make a selection was on the site. I installed my powered subwoofer 2 days ago and am quite happy with it.

Jason Weber
September 4th, 2018 Carrollton, TX DETAILS

You never know a company until you have an issue. Years ago I purchased an Infiniti powered subwoofer for my wife's Suburban. It developed a rattle after a couple of weeks. Crutchfield immediately sent out a replacement prior to me returning the bad one. I was able to unhook the old and hook up the new in a matter of minutes. Then I sent back the bad one. I am a customer for life. This last purchase was a Sony TV. It showed up in three days and you cannot beat the price on a warranty.

Delbert Echols
September 4th, 2018 Beachwood, OH DETAILS

Can always depend on excellent service from Crutchfield. Very helpful advice in setting up my dual amp system in my 1994 Chevy Silverado ext cab. Received all the install accessories and very clear instructions. I always start by looking for the cheapest price but I end up coming back to Crutchfield.

Marcus Wiedenhoeft
August 31st, 2018 Elmhurst, IL DETAILS

Website functions very well - easy to navigate - purchase was quick and easy - unfortunately the item I purchased didn't work out for me - Crutchfield accepted my return without any problems - they provided a shipping label and clear instructions on what to do - I was charged an appropriate amount of $ to pay for the return shipping - very fair and reasonable - I will buy from Crutchfield again - A++++

Devin
August 31st, 2018 Gardner, KS DETAILS

I love crutchfield! Last weekend I got tired of listening to the low power and nasty distortion riddled stock auido system in my 2014 miata. So I got on the crutchfield website put in my car particulars and boom everything that would fit in my car right there for perusing. I picked out a new stereo and adaptor for the steering wheel controls, new component speakers for the doors, and even a 10" sub and amp for the trunk. Upon checking out there was other things recommended to make installation that much easier. I picked some but not all of the extra goodies up and was good to go. The shipping was right on time as promised and everything was received in good order. The instructions included with everything we're spot on and very helpful. The research crutchfield does is much appreciated. Everything sounds and works great will be leaving reviews for all my purchases in the near future as I get time with and a little more use out of all the stuff. Thank you everyone at crutchfield it's been a pleasure to do business with you as it always has been! Devin

Clint Jones
August 31st, 2018 Weatherford, TX DETAILS

Crutchfield has not only been my favorite place to shop for electronics but as a former employee I have chosen to come back to Crutchfield for my electronics needs because of the expertise provided on their website and the trust that I have in this company. These days, I do not have any employee benefits but am willing to even pay more for the peace of mind in purchasing from a company I trust.

Jon
August 31st, 2018 Chardon, OH DETAILS

2014 Camaro front speaker wiring connector is for a ford and you must make modifications to get it to fit the factory gm plug properly. Wish this was actually written somewhere so I could have at least known as I was trying to install. Far be it that Camaro wiring adapters be made for Camaros instead of shadetree fixed from a ford wiring plug adapter. Other than that the focul speakers are awesome and an update even to Boston speakers.

Jeremy
August 30th, 2018 Riverview, FL DETAILS

I relied on Crutchfield 25 years ago during college. Went back to them just this week knowing it would be exceptional service as I am restoring an old car with difficult to locate OEM speakers. Gosh was I pleased with the service (Marshall). He looked up the right speakers, with low resistance, told me a perfect no cutting fit, included special wiring harnesses so I could retain my factory connectors, found speakers that happened to be on sale and exceptional quailty. They arrived fast with free shipping, and I received a PDF master installation sheet specific to my exact year make and model. Wow! Why buy from anywhere else?

Art
September 7th, 2018 Tracy, CA DETAILS

Awesome service and very fast delivery. You guys rock.

Bill Watts
August 28th, 2018 Hillsboro, OR DETAILS

Crutchfield eliminated the need for me to go find a brick and mortar car audio place. The ready harness service significantly simplified the install and I was done in no time. And the head unit sounds amazing. Quick delivery

Donna
August 27th, 2018 Sterling, VA DETAILS

Crutchfield made what could be intimidating for the average DIY person straightforward and easy. Used a crutchfield ready harness and access steering wheel control harness, so everything snapped into place easily, but had one set of wires that wasn't intuitive. Called and got the information i needed and they walked me thru the rest of the install.

Joseph Nagle
August 27th, 2018 Pendleton, SC DETAILS

I talked to Hogan about a radio for my 2006 Kia and he had all answers to questions and was very helpful.

Brian Troyer
August 27th, 2018 Powell, TN

Competitive price and extremely fast shipping. Great experience shopping with Crutchfield.

Paul Peterson
August 24th, 2018 Santa Maria, CA DETAILS

Satisfaction, as usual !! I am pleased with the experience. Crutchfield shines again!! Every aspect of the process was seamless. Thanks to the Crutchfield team for an outstanding experience.

Barbara J Petersen
August 23rd, 2018 Mars Hill, NC DETAILS

Extremely helpful on-line chat helped me narrow down what I was looking for. When I did order, everything arrived promptly and in excellent condition. Plus, the prices were the best I found in my comparisons.

Jeremy Pocase
August 23rd, 2018 Milton, FL DETAILS

Loved the ease of use of the website to find exactly what I was looking for! The new stereo looks great, functions great, and thanks to Crutchfield's instructions and wiring help option, install took less than 30 min! Now onto speakers!

Richard Barton
August 23rd, 2018 Rocklin, CA DETAILS

I bought a used 2006 Mini Cooper S Convertible, and it is the most fun I’ve ever had driving. Every car should should be little, have a supercharger and have 225 hourse power. However, the radio is an issue. I guess 2006 was a bad year for Harmon Kardon. Because of that, a replacement with Bluetooth, streaming capabilities and iPhone compatible phone use was prohibitingly expensive. The thing Crutchfield sold me work as slick as snot on a doorknob for 1/5th the price, for everything. Excellent!!!!

Lloyd OBryan
August 21st, 2018 Aurora, CO DETAILS

I have been with crutch for almost 30 yrs and I am always impressed by the quality service I receive each time.

Mike Lane
August 20th, 2018 Irving, TX DETAILS

I have always shopped at Best Buy for electronics, but, their customer service leaves something to be desired. I made my first purchase from Crutchfield about six months ago and since then have purchased a Sony receiver, a Sony UHD DVD, and, a Klipsch center channel speaker. Their customer support could not be better; knowledgeable sales staff who can provide answers quickly and accurately, great customer service, no problem with order or delivery. I still shop at Best Buy for some electronics, but will make most of my future electronic component purchases from Crutchfield.

Thomas Bollhofer
August 20th, 2018 Longwood, FL DETAILS

Crutchfield is the best. They really go out of their way to make it an enjoyable experience. The ready made harness service is awesome and a huge time saver. Their technical support is top notch and their prices are awesome. This is my third time buying from Crutchfield and they never disappoint. Thank you!

Mike Figgener
August 20th, 2018 Tarpon Springs, FL DETAILS

They have good selections of speakers I found what I needed and it came everything I need to install

james richard coon
August 20th, 2018 Converse, TX DETAILS

Totally satisfied with every product I ordered and the service I received. Order was filled 100%. I called and talked to a service adviser who answered my questions quickly. I have completed installing the products In my vehicle and am extremely happy with everything. The ready harness for a car stereo is a gift from the heavens. I would not hesitate for one second to order from Crutchfield again.

Timothy Foster
August 17th, 2018 Fenton, MO DETAILS

Great company to buy electronics from fantastic customer service