Crutchfield Logo
LAST UPDATED: January 18th, 2022
Crutchfield’s online catalog has its origins in the company’s first year of business, when sales were poor in 1974. During the first year, the company didn’t sell very many items. Bill Crutchfield, the owner, mailed out a questionnaire to find out why customers weren’t buying products, asking customers what the company needed to do better. Customers replied that they didn’t know much about car audio, and were scared by the thought of putting one in their vehicle. The questionnaire prompted Bill Crutchfield to start filling the catalog with useful information about car audio. The company built this experience into their corporate DNA, offering superior customer service to its clients. Since 1974, the company has put car audio components into over 12,500 cars.

The Good

• Great customer service
  • Lifetime support
  • Extensive audio selection
We seriously felt that Crutchfield has one of the best customer service setups in the industry of online electronics stores. Here are some of the features of Crutchfield's superior customer service:
  • Free lifetime tech support for your audio products ($99 if your products were purchased somewhere else).
  • Free audio installation kits with most car audio products.
  • A generous 60-day return policy, however, the items must be returned completely packaged and undamaged.
  • An extensive knowledge base that includes installation guides and how to purchase product guides.
We liked that the lifetime support for products was also available if you purchased your product from another company. In our opinion, this is an indication of Crutchfield's dedication to customer service. We liked finding an online electronics retailer that specialized in one market, specifically audio products. The online product catalog also has a very unique search feature, something that we didn't see in the industry. To search for the car audio that is appropriate for your vehicle, the website catalog prompts the customer to enter their vehicle manufacture year, the car brand, and the car make. The catalog will then present the customer with a complete listing of audio products that is appropriate for their vehicle. We also liked the array of televisions and other products available through Crutchfield. Crutchfield has three different models of OLED TVs. The prices range from $3,499 to $9,999. We found it difficult to find a wide range of prices for OLEDs from other providers in the industry. The customer experience with Crutchfield is also reflected by a positive reviews. The customer mistakenly selected the wrong type of wire harness. Crutchfield sent the client a free wire harness, the correct one, and did not ask the customer to return the faulty wire harness. We also liked the extensive professional audio selection category. Here are some of the item categories that we found with Crutchfield's professional audio product selection:
  • PA Speakers
  • Audio recording equipment
  • A wide array of microphones
  • Monitors for recording and public performance
  • Computer recording
  • Pro Audio Headphones
  • Home recording solutions
  • Cables and Snakes
  • Stands, cases, racks and bags.
The website also included extensive articles and guides for each product category. One article described the benefits of having touchscreen displays as part of a car audio system. One audio talked about car audio factory sound processors and how a new stereo could be easily integrated with a factory sound processor. The article also gave customers options on how to decide whether or not they should keep their factory sound processor or purchase a new one.

The Bad

• More information
  • More products for devices
We couldn't really identify any "negative" aspects of Crutchfield's website, but we did have a few suggestions to improve the site's overall functionality and appearance, as well as increase the overall customer experience:
  • For classic cars and motorcycles, we would like to see more "vintage" products available. Some of the electronics for classic cars had a digital display, limiting the "vintage" look of the radio display.
  • Increase the number of GPS units and resources available for motorcycles, as there are only two GPS types for motorcycles.
  • Better define how to package a product if it is going to be returned. The website doesn't give very good information for how to repackage a product and the amount of a restocking fee.
We wish that the catalog contained a bit more information on each individual product and how it might be integrated into an existing audio system. We were somewhat concerned by the factory sound processor article, as it read somewhat like a blurb trying to get the customer to purchase more Crutchfield equipment. Even though Crutchfield is an audio component provider for cars, we would like to see more products such as smartphones, MP3s, and maybe even tablets that customers could hook up to their new stereo system, whether or not the item is for a home.

The Bottom Line

We appreciated our service experience with Crutchfield immensely. Here are the things that we liked about Crutchfield:
  • The great customer service, an idea that is built into the very core of their business operations.
  • The free lifetime support for products purchased directly from Crutchfield
  • The free installation gear that comes with most car stereo purchases.
We also liked the extensive knowledge base online. While the live chat is not a 24-hour feature, there are a ton of articles that are available to customers 24 hours a day. Also, the knowledge base is free. Some companies, such as Best Buy, require the customer to purchase Geek Support or a service plan to repair or install an item. Also, the free installation gear from Crutchfield is hard to beat.

4.9

Dennis E Webb Magalia, CA

I've had the head set just a few days and it has worked perfectly. The angle of the ear muffs could be a little different, maybe more rounded but something I can live with. No cracking sounds in this unit like I experienced in my last set from another company. It charges up quick as well. Very happy.

Don Atzman Jr Battle Creek, MI

I've bought an $800 media center for my '57 Chevy this Christmas and a few accesories for it one of them were flawed. They made it right without hesitating! They are the best and I will recommend them any day.

AJ Robinson Mandeville, LA

I worked with Mulligan to ensure that I was ordering the correct parts for my project. He was extremely knowledgeable and friendly, and his advice was extremely helpful.

Michael Conklin Harrodsburg, KY

This was such an easy purchase. The website walked me through several possibilities and directed me to the perfect speakers. The instructions for the installation made the job super easy as they where for exactly for my vehicle. Wiring, tools, and harware came ready for install. Thanks Crutchfield.

BH1979 Chesterfield, VA

I have been a repeat customer since the late 90’s and have Ordered multiple electronics since then for my house, vehicles and now my kids cars. Very happy with the prices and information they provide for vehicle stereo equipment installations.

Richard Grove, OK

I’ve bought several items over the years from Crutchfield. They stand behind their products. I had some speakers that blew and they promptly sent new ones to me when I let them know what had happened. Their website is easy to navigate and the search function eliminates looking through countless products when you know what you want. I will definitely buy from them again.

SVS Wireless Soundbar Miami, FL

I haven't had time to hook up the SVS Wireless soundbar but hope to sometime this week. I am amazed that this small unit can produce 300wpc, 150wpc into 4 ohms and 75wpc into 8 ohms speakers. This unit should serve it's purpose well in our soon to be 2nd home (condo) in 2022 or 2023. Thanks Crutchfield for your quick service as I received the unit in 2-3 days from the date of purchase.

bill purves Frederick, MD

From purchase to install Crutchfield made it painless. Having them make the custom harness made installing the radio with the maestro hassle free. One stop shop with Crutchfield.

Jose Rolon

I’ve been a customer for many years and there’s a lot of options out there, but no one beat the knowledge and customer service you guys have!! Always been a fan of Crutchfield!

tboneivd85 Raleigh, NC

Been a Crithfield customer off and on for 40 years. You continue to exceed my (high) expectations for Custer service, knowledge, delivery, and competitive pricing. It's quite an accomplishment to be this good for this long. The information you provide customers about your products and technology is game changing.

Nick New Braunfels, TX

I’ve purchased several items from Crutchfield over the years and never had any issues. I like their customer service, especially their people who can recommend an item based on your criteria. Prices seem to be in line with other online retailers.

Wb Miami, FL

Incredibly great customer rep (Simon), excellent products, wonderful web site and years and years of expertise behind this company..shipping great and tech support forever! This is a company that understands the term customer service!

Scott Phoenix, AZ

The expert advisors always offer great suggestions when you are not sure of what specific item you want to purchase. I purchased my receiver, blu ray and speakers using their recommendation and am very happy with everything I have purchased

Jorge Uquillas Norwalk, CT

Easy to install, Sounds much better than the original radio in my 1999 Volvo V70 wagon. Crutchfield provided everything needed for installation at a very reasonable price. Received incorrect brackets, not Crutchfield fall since product was packed incorrectly in China, called Crutchfield and Crutchfield replaced/shipped for free. Thank you Crutchfield!!!! You guys are the best and always looking for the customer.

Steve Raley Albuquerque, NM

I don't know that I've used Crutchfield before, although I'd certainly heard of them. I was looking for a stereo component rack and, while I paid more than I was looking to pay, the rack I got (Pangea Audio Vulcan Audio Rack) is a better rack and is actually large enough to accommodate my components. You really do get what you pay for. Oh, and the second best thing is that I got my rack two days after placing the order. I will not hesitate to do business with them again.

Rory Kirker Lorton, VA

I wanted another pair of speakers to add to my Focal 806s. Found Crutchfield on the net, with a lot of choices and enough detail that I decided to purchase two 816 Focal speakers. For me, the 816s go perfectly with the Focal 806s. Movies are more enjoyable and when playing music, I'm hearing wonderful sounds that I hadn't before. Crutchfield beat Amazon's price, and even with free delivery, I received the speakers in 1-1/2 days.

Jim Nussbaumer Estes Park, CO

I have seen Crutchfield for years but never bought from them before - not the right combination of product and pricing. I recently bought a new receiver for my older car and was very pleasantly surprised. Their prices were competitive and I got the product in 2 days. I was installing it myself so I had reason to call their tech support line. I was actually able to talk to a support specialist quickly - no long wait and no phone-tree getting thru to someone. The support was based in the US and they were very knowledgeable and helpful. I wish all companies had this type of support. I will definitely recommend them to my friends.

Thomas Carrington Houston, TX

Excellent selection and superior customer service. I've been a customer since ordering my first car stereo in 1974, and have never been disappointed.

Rene Suarez Cape Coral, FL

I never purchase scratch & dent items because of fear something will not be right. I decided to take a chance this once because I saw the video Crutchfield has online where they take you through the alleged certification process Crutchfield does where technicians supposedly put returned products to the test to make sure they work before reselling them. Well, someone was asleep at their job on "returned subwoofer day" because the JL Audio self-powered subwoofer system (2-8" subs) I purchased for Christmas for my son does not work. One of the two speakers is a complete dud and the one that does work barely produces any sound.

Jenny Hubbard New Albany, IN

When ordering the website let me know what else I would need for installation plus sent installation instructions. Shipping was very fast. Would highly recommend shopping here.

Sunshine Blueskies Baltimore, MD

Crutchfield had exacted what I wanted. They took great effort to authenticate my order. My items were shipped in one box and delivered at the scheduled date, which was well before my orders from OTHER vendors. Great job!

Timothy Hannigan Lakewood, OH

Crutchfield occasionally receives items damaged in freight and offers discounts with full warranty. I trust their ability to know if an item is salable or not. This makes for a great relationship with them.

Carlos Tehachapi, CA

They have a lot of products to choose from. Aswell as all the installation accessories needed and free vehicle specific installation instructions. Fast shipping and great customer service

Rob Pottstown, PA

I’ve bought stuff over the years from crutchfield and they always help you out! Like options to make installs easy with all the things you might need. Oh and shipping is fast .

Brent Masters Alpharetta, GA

Crutchfield is one of a small number of companies that understands customer service. I have called them to ask questions about mounting a TV I bought from them and there is very little hold time and questions are answered quickly and accurately. I’ll never buy a TV from anywhere else again.

denleach Belington, WV

Spoke with Eugene. He was knowledgeable and helpful and helpful me with the questions I had regarding a product. I was able to make my decision and order was simple and fast. Crutchfield is an amazing company and I have purchased from them since the 1980's.

Dean Parkinson Wentzville, MO

Knowledgeable sales and support staff. Excellent experience (as always). You could get a slight bit cheaper elsewhere, but it is worth a few extra bucks to get their support. When I needed wiring help and couldn't find any answers on the Internet, their support had the answers I needed to get it wired right and done quickly. Having that kind of experience and knowledge at your back is why I keep coming back.

Kellie Waremburg Pekin, IL

I ordered speakers for my car. Very helpful in showing me what ones are compatible for my car. Price is very reasonable. Very quick shipping

George Woodley Frederickstadt, C

The best and leave the rest! I have always enjoyed shopping with them the products and service are top of the line you can never go wrong with them.

craig faulkner Nashville, TN

When I am in the market to upgrade radios in any of my vehicles I always go to Crutchfield. They have a great selection, Detailed info and great specials.

Ricardo Cruz Stafford, VA

I bought a 3:1 polk audio system with a Yamaha receiver for my game room and sounds amazing!! Thanks Crutchfield! Oh, I also get the JBL party box speaker with 2 bluetooth mic. Uffff!! What a party!! I love it!!!!!!

Ty Jones Baton Rouge, LA

Ordered several items from you guys and everything comes fast and you guys go beyond to make sure the orders are right and have the info for installing plus a few freebies. So far great customer service also

Lance Addison New Philadelphia, OH

Easy to order. Shipped right away. Received in a day and a half from time of order. The product was awesome. Bought a turntable through outlet. If it sat side by side to a brand new one I wouldn't know the difference. The thing was mint.

galaxieman1000 San Diego, CA

One of the best product informative websites there is. Easy to navigate and computer friendly. Purchase process is super easy and free 2 day shipping to California, I can't get out of may chair that quick. Too bad the chip crisis has made many items not available. Will always check Crutchfield first as they are the best!

Ben S. Atlanta, GA

Great selection of products and helpful selecting what you need. Had all the adapters and instructions needed to install the speakers in my Grand Cherokee, it made it very easy to get the job done. Will definitely use them again.

Glenn Buck Lynchburg, VA

Easy online order process, with very speedy delivery of product. Hassle free.

Jeffrey Hauser Troy, MI

Great information on their website, fast service, good support

Stephen Hornak Cypress, CA

Excellent customer service. Amazing offers of free and comprehensive installation guides. Free brackets needed to install the speakers. Free wire harness that make installation plug and play. No cutting wires and soldering. Excellent search guide tailored for my vehicle. I cant say enough good things about Crutchfield and I WILL be back to buy the rest of the speakers I need.

Jay Hensley Holly Springs, NC

Shopping at Crutchfield is always a pleasure. They have very fast standard shipping and when you purchase from them you know you will get the best customer support should you have an issue. Their technical documentation is second to none. If buying audio equipment for your car their website will guide you to the right product for your make and model. Highly recommend!

Jay Hutchison Huntsville, AL

Excellent product price and amazingly quick service and delivery. Oveall Exellent.

upnorthwi Philadelphia, PA

I purchased the Sanus WSTV1 TV stand as I needed a pedestal type mount for my application. This stand is heavy duty, all steel and weighs 30 pounds. It will easily hold most TV's and all hardware is included. As far as my purchase from Crutchfield, I choose to buy one from the Outlet. I've done that previously and products were virtually new. So I decided top save a few bucks. Everything was packaged as new with the exception of a lot of the hardware was not separated and was in a ziplock bag, I suppose from the previous purchaser. That was a little irritating having to sort it out and figure what was used for what. If purchased new, every fastener is separated by size. I'm happy with the stand, and went to do a review on it. Then I noticed the price was lowered almost $20.00 on it. I contacted Crutchfield and they immediately refunded the difference. Excellent company to do business with, never disappointed. They may be a little more sometimes, but I'll pay for good customer service and support. I've been a customer for over 40 years.

Mr. P71 Sacramento, CA

Great place to start your search for car audio. Their website is superb for comparing specs and finding what fits in your car. You can sometimes find better prices elsewhere but they're usually comparable if not better when adding free installation kits and shipping into the calculations. Their customer support for installation is amazing! I once had a problem and the rep I got wasn't familiar with either the car or the product. He (the rep) asked to put me on hold and then said someone else would call me in a few minutes. I figured I was screwed but about 10 minutes later another rep called and walked me through my issues and I was on the road 30 minutes later.

Steve Pitman Largo, FL

Ive been a customer of crutchfield for over 20 years,and ive never been disappointed with their products,customer service and shipping

Chris Perkins Cincinnati, OH

I like the thorough accurate product descriptions online. The website design. The rapid shipment and the friendly and expert product support.

Kenneth Dawson Jr Cleveland, TN

Was very easy to navigate site for exactly what your vehicle needs to make installation a breeze. Great prices and fast shipping

Paul Fisette Allen, TX

Looking up products and ordering we’re easy. I did not receive one small item, left a message with my salesman and never received a call back. He might be on vacation so I won’t fret it…yet.

Jayson Adamsen Phoenix, AZ

Not quite what I was looking for. Reached out to customer support looking for a Plug and play option if one exists. Was told the product I ordered would do that. What I was sent will require wiring up with splices and sorting out loose ends which is what I am trying to clean up. I will make this work but it is going to take more time than I have right now. Was not looking for the cheap option. I was looking for the best option. I was willing to pay a little more as I value a product that saves my valuable free time to work on this project. I will continue to look to Crutchfield as a resource but not so much for sales support when selecting a product.

Angela Lequia Centralia, IL

Always happy with Crutchfield purchases. I have complete trust that the items they sell are of the highest quality and I always receive what I order very quickly. Never have had a problem and always happy with my purchase!!!

Tim johnson Phillipsburg, NJ

Very good experience. Agent was knowledgeable and helpful. Radio is installed and works great! Instructions were also excellent. I don’t think you can get better service any where else!

vsxz Temecula, CA

They have a good selection of car audio products. They have good information on what fits the vehicle you’re shopping for. The sub I purchased arrived fairly quickly and for being an open box item to save some money, the sub was in excellent condition.