Best Company Guarantee Best Buy Logo

Best Buy

LAST UPDATED: May 9th, 2022

Founded in 1966, Best Buy rebranded in 1983 to become the company we know today, the now international consumer electronics store. It has locations and subsidiaries throughout North America including Mexico and Canada. It is also now not just a retailer but a family of brands and partnerships that includes brands such as Audiovisions, Future Shop, Geek Squad, Jiangsu Five Star, Magnolia Audio Video, Pacific Sales, and Cowboom.

Best Buy sells consumer electronics such as televisions, computers, tablets, wearables, cameras, video game systems and more. It also sells accompanying products such as software, video games, music, cell phones, car stereos and home appliances. Under its Geek Squad brand, Best Buy offers customers hardware repair and replacement, warranty services, accidental service plans, tech support, and installations and setups. Purchasing Geek Squad Protection enhances your manufacturer warranty and gives you extended coverage when the warranty ends.

Need help setting up your Wi-Fi network or mounting your new TV? Best Buy can assist with these types of services as well. This array of tech and installation services combined with its massive product selection makes Best Buy an impressive force in the computer and electronics retail space.

The Good

• Excellent Customer Service
  • Product Replacement Policy
  • Wide Variety of Products
  • Easy Shipping and Pickup Options
  • Price Match Policy

Excellent Customer Service

We liked the Geek Squad approach to customer service. In this medium, we found one of the most robust customer service platforms in the industry. Geek Squad is an owned subsidiary of Best Buy. In addition to providing customer service at every Best Buy store, customers can also get support 24/7 online or over the phone. Best Buy sells support packages with each item that is sold in a store.

Product Replacement Policy

Geek Squad has a "lemon" policy. If your product requires three repairs during the life of your service plan, the Geek Squad will turn your lemons into lemonade by replacing the product with a similar model if your model is no longer manufactured.

Wide Variety of Products

Best Buy offers customers a vast selection of electronic, home entertainment, gaming, and appliance products. This is very convenient and outpaces many competitors. We were impressed with its selection of Apple products and that the company offers sales on these items.

Best Buy also had a wide variety of "wearable technology" available. These included sports training aids, sports watches, and activity monitors and pedometers. Some of the companies in the industry lacked the number of items from Best Buy. Best Buy also carried home assistive technology, items ranging from phones to computers that helped those in need live easier at home.

There were more than enough accessories to make your computer user-friendly and ergonomic. When we looked at the keyboards and mice available through Best Buy, we found more than 164 pages of items, 97 items in total. We found a lot of good wireless mouse and keyboard combos, great for the person who wanted an ergonomic work center or specialized accessories for gaming.

In addition to the consumer electronics products, Best Buy offers customers a huge selection of products for home: appliances, cardio equipment, sustainable living products for home, smart home products, home and office furniture, and more.

We also liked the website's functionality, especially how it let customers sort through items. Customers could sort through items by brand, price, and other characteristics. Also, each item included a high-quality picture of the item.

Easy Shipping and Pickup Options

Best Buy goes above and beyond its competitors with its excellent shipping and pick up options. Thousands of items on its website are eligible for free, next-day shipping on a $35 minimum purchase. Next-day delivery is based on product availability and on the time of day the order is placed. The company also offers free standard shipping on orders $35 and up on qualifying items.

And if you’d like your order even faster, Best Buy stores offer the convenience of in-store pickup and curbside pickup for free.

Price Match Policy

Best Buy won’t be beat on price. It matches the product prices of key online and local competitors for immediately available products. At the time of sale, Best Buy will price match local retail competitors (including their online prices) as well as these major online retailers: Amazon.com, Crutchfield.com, Dell.com, HP.com, and TigerDirect.com. It will also match its own lower in-store, online or app prices during the return and exchange period upon request.

The Bad

• Poor Customer Experience
  • Customer Complaints

Poor Customer Experience

The in-store experience with Best Buy often leaves something to be desired. Some reviews online, as well as a recent Forbes article, listed this as one of the reasons Best Buy often struggles to keep customers in the store. The Forbes article commented on the typical customer experience at Best Buy. Often, a customer walking into a store for self-service (to purchase the items they know they need) will receive an experience pressuring them to buy more things. This was a trend in some of the reviews we read about Best Buy online.

Customer Complaints

Best Buy has received mixed reviews online. One customer complaint involved the purchase of an Apple MacBook Pro from a store. The customer found the 2012 model sticker on the inside of their computer, contacted Apple, and was told that they had purchased an "old-stock" computer. The inventories of some brands in stores are often older models that Best Buy has purchased in stock.

Another customer had purchased a $450 computer, according to a complaint, and it was not working after the 15-day Return and Exchange Promise. The customer was advised to go to the manufacturer or purchase a Geek Squad plan. Electronics are expensive investments, and consumers should have access to the best products available.

The Bottom Line

Best Buy is a leading consumer electronics and home technology store in North America for a reason. You will find it has an incredible selection of home and personal technology products to offer and that its price match policy makes its prices highly competitive. You should check out its daily deals section for even better pricing on rotating items.

If you are looking for help with installation or protection for your technology items beyond the limited 15-day return and exchange window Geek Squad is a great option. You will be able to see its services broken down by technology type and it even includes pricing for various services. We also were impressed with Geek Squad’s lemon policy. You should be aware of Best Buy’s return and exchange policy as it is fairly strict and limited without purchasing one of its plans for Elite members and Elite Plus members.

View Best Computer and Electronic Stores Companies

bestcompany guarantee

Best Company guarantees your satisfaction if you choose a company that has earned this distinction. If you're not satisfied after 30 days, simply let us know and we'll give you $100. Yes, it's really that simple.

Learn More

Mario Martin Montgomery, TX

After "hurricane Ike", my home was devastated and I had to replace most of my electronics. If things weren't stressful enough the thought of replacing TV's and audio equipment had added to my anxiety. I went to Best Buy, met with a knowledgeable service representative and a manager and was able to replace all of my electronics with an upgrade and an unbelievable price and timely installation service too without any heightened anxiety, no stress from pressure sales personal, and a unbelievable life-changing experience!

Chad Edgar Wentzville, MO

I like this place has got a lot of nice clothes on top of that Sporting Goods Electronics appliances beds TVs mowers yard equipment power tools I go there to buy my tools all the time and I like it they have really good prices and good customer service

Marci Randall Sandy, UT

Have purchased several things from Best Buy. I am always impressed with their customer service and ease of purchase. I especially like their online ordering and pick up in store

MM Largo, FL

This is a great store for all kinds of electronics. I have bought a few TV's and a couple computers from best buy. However, they are a bit overpriced and everything is super expensive there's for things that could be found elsewhere for a better price. They do have a very good selection of products though. They also carry cell phones and service, but also quite expensive as well.

Kaylee Gay Columbia, MO

I got my first ever laptop from Best Buy for college. It is an HP, touch screen, and the perfect size to fit in my backpack. My laptop isn't very heavy so I can carry it around on my college campus and it can turn into an Ipad if I wanted it to. Best Buy even helped me set up my laptop with things like Word, Excel, and Microsoft. I also got my laptop on one of their amazing student sales. Usually, around August-September time Best Buy always has student sales which it made way more affordable for me to purchase it as an incoming college student.

Leon Yoakum Los Angeles, CA

Bought a computer from here. Customer service was very helpful with answering my questions.

Vanessa Butler Columbia, MO

Very helpful in my laptop choice When a laptop ofine went on the blitz, and me being 62 and in college they fixed for free! The Geeks Squad is great!

Claudia Patrick Judsonia, AR

On January 16, 2022, I received an email about a renewal of their Total Tech program, which is $213.49 with tax. I called the day I received the email, waited about 10-15 minutes on the phone, and canceled the program, they claim it was an auto-renewal. The Best Buy rep assured me it would be canceled, and my account debited the amount. Today, February 10, 2022, the amount had not been refunded to my account. When I called, I was greeted as a proud Total Tech customer. Really. Further evidence they never canceled this subscription. The wait time to use Chat was 13 minutes, so I called and used the term cancel account. Finally, a rep took the call. This rep pledged again to cancel the subscription. She indicated that it would take 30 minutes to receive the email that confirms the cancellation. When asked why it took so long to reach someone, she indicated that their call volume high. Not surprising. This was my second call to cancel a subscription. Had they managed it correctly the first time, I wouldn't have had to make a second call. In another instance, I received email notices thanking me for purchasing an iPhone and other items. I use Android. Although my credit card was never charged for the iPhone, they have an issue capturing, maintaining, and communicating accurate customer information. I have also received Award points from someone else's account. Best Buy combined three accounts they had for me on file. How did this happen? I have little trust in their ability to manage their accounts and a customer database. I am concerned when a company that sells technology can’t effectively manage and utilize it. If others don’t check their accounts regularly, some issues such as canceled subscriptions go unnoticed. The beneficiary of not canceling a subscription is obviously Best Buy. Consumers, please be vigilant and check your accounts regularly. Are these mistakes honest omissions or are they intentional?

Noa Ranoa Vista, CA

If you purchase, you're going to get a good price, but if your warranty is one day over.... you're stuck with a piece of technology that doesn't work. I bought a Hisense junk HD tv and it lasted 62 days. BestBuy just looked at me and said..."sorry".

Nashali Vescovacci Fort White, FL

Best Buy has great options for electronics and new technology. However, I have not had good experiences with their customer service. When the electronics they sell prove to be faulty, they give customers a very hard time with returns and refunds.

Brittney Mac Gregor Louisville, KY

I consider Best Buy a big box store, but I do shop there frequently, both in person and online. They generally have a small selection in store but a pretty wide selection online. They do not offer any macbooks or apple products, aside from phones, so that is a downside. The prices are pretty good and there always seems to be a decent deal going on. Almost all my household appliances have come from Bestbuy. They also have a great deal when you use your card, either 5% off your order or a year 0% intrest. The only con, is when your in the store, the staff pretend to be knowledgeable about the products they are selling, but as a computer scientist, I called BS on them when they attempted to describe computers to me. Don't trust the sales people, they are just ordinary people trying to make sales for the store, they have no clue about what they are selling.

Ashlyn Elwood Roswell, GA

I am a member of my best buy and got emails stating that I would get a promotion/coupon added to my account. I never did so I contacted the online customer service chat. They have long wait times, then take forever to respond, and are not knowledgable at all. Half the time they would not answer my question correctly and would ask for completely irrelevant information. Finally I got a representative who said I would get the promotion on my account within 24 hours and assured me of this. However, 24 hours later there was nothing added to my account. I contacted customer service again. Four representative and over two hours later I have been told that it must be a technical difficulty. After I was promised I would have the coupons today! I have wasted hours of my time on unknowledgeable service agents and supervisors. Who also did not offer any compensation or any credit for my hours waiting for an answer or their inability to resolve the issue.

James Richards Anaheim, CA

Great electronic store, price's ok, but if or the money yo up get quality merchandise. Love em

Tanner Cook Gilbert, AZ

Best Buy can price match on many items, which makes shopping there just as effecient as online, without the wait time! Plus you can actually look at what you’re purchasing at first - sometimes I’ve bought things online, only to have buyers remorse because the description wasn’t fitting. That’s not a problem here and I can always return the item directly back to the store. Win-win!

Cassidy Gundersen Orem, UT

Oh how we love best buy! Most all of our electronics are from there. Their prices aren’t inherently the cheapest- but if you wait for a sale or know exactly what you want- they are a great option. Having the Geek Squad protection and warranty give me a peace of mind. Customer service has always been helpful and understanding as well. We love best buy!

Anne Sainsbury Orem, UT

I have purchased many things from Best Buy. For the most part if there is ever a connection cord that I need for my electronics, I head the Best Buy. I have never purchased faulty equipment there! I also love their selection of computer monitors and the deals that they have every so often for them. I have been able to invest in 2 very nice computer monitors at almost %50 of the price due to their sales events. I have had them for almost 3 years now and they are still in fantastic condition. Customer service in the store (though sometimes very busy) are always very helpful!

Dave Spokane, WA

In this online world we live in, Best Buy is about the only store left of its kind, where you can actually go into an electronics store and see the product. The sales associates do not get paid commissions so you don't feel pressure to buy while you are looking around. The product selection is huge, including Apple products. Prices are always competitive.

Brielle Spencer Pleasant Grove, UT

Great for finding any tech! So many options great people who answer my questions. Never feel hesitant to buy something!

Anoushka Ahuja Orlando, FL

Anytime I buy any appliances or electronics I always buy at Best Buy! They always price match and have great warranties and offers

Luke Swierczynski Troy, MI

I think best buy has done a lot recently to increase my receptiveness of them, or rather introducing price match so I can get their convenience and others prices. The store associates are helpful and quick to greet you/

Leonard Leo Potomac, MD

As one of the remaining B&M stores left, Best Buy continues to offer reasonably priced products competing with online stores. With price matching abilities, the consumer is fairly well protected. Best Buys wide selection of products is impressive in today's market ranging from music/videos, electronics, cell phones, computers, appliances and gaming.

Robyn Brady Kent, OH

I buy all of my electronics through Best Buy as I can pay over 12 months interest free. We recently purchased a new wine fridge through Best buy and last year got 6 new Apple Watches. All paid for through a very easy to use app!!

Jackson Barousse New Orleans, LA

Best buy is my favorite electronics store, as they have frequent deals on the hottest products. I have purchased all my TV's from Best Buy, and their customer service has always been excellent. Their Geek Squad service is also extremely helpful and is conveniently located inside many stores.

Pekeiydra Williams Tallahassee, FL

I come to BestBuy a lot for maintenance on my apple products since there is not a Apple store near me. The staff are always respectful of appointment times and they work fast. They always try to help in the best way as possible.

Janie Dennis Tallahassee, FL

I freaking love Best Buy!! I have bought all of my electronics from them and I have never been unsatisfied! Maybe one damaged part on my laptop but overall they are great! They wouldn't still be around for as long as they have!

Cade Boudreaux , FL

I love Best Buy. I’ve bought TV’s and my Macbook that i both still use to this day. They are very helpful and the products are fairly priced. The Geek Squad has helped me with multiple problems i’ve had with previous computers.

Imani Monroe Tallahassee, FL

All my products from Best Buy have been exceptional and I will always and continue to get my products from Best Buy. Geek Squad has also been amazing helpers in fixing my laptop or tablet. I highly recommend them as a warranty protection plan for your devices and appliances.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Hands down-Best Buy is simply amazing. Their TVs and electronics are unmatched in price and variety. I have purchased all types of home electronics and have never been disappointed. The opposite- I've been ecstatic. Their services like install and repair, financing, or store customer service are all exceptional!

Alan Aler Leesville, SC

Purchased an EERO Pro WIFI, a MHT Network & Webroot & had Tech Support come out to help with install. The tech was very knowledgeable...install took a minimal amount of time..very pleased with Best Buy Products & extremely pleased with Tech Support

Eric San Diego, CA

Best Buy is a great place to go if you would like to get somewhat good prices on electronics while also getting expert advice on said electronics. I do prefer online shopping but going into a store like Best Buy can really help if you're not sure what you want.

Jacinda E Sandy, UT

Everytime I go in there I have multiple employee's come and ask me if I am finding everything. I have liked all of the products I have bought there for my family and friends. Once I took my laptop into their shop and the geek squad helped me fix my blue screen. Great help and service.

Carlee Toone Provo, UT

I've always found what I needed at Best Buy. I like their credit card and I also like that they offer "open box" products. I bought an ipad from Best Buy once and I was having trouble with it. They wanted me to pay $90 to have it looked at when I could just take it to the apple store for free. Their geek squad services are unreasonably priced in my opinion.

Kyler Ashby Phoenix, AZ

It makes me sad when I hear about stores like Best Buy are more or less losing business due to the growing popularity of online shopping. While I will not ignore the convenience of online shopping, stores like Best Buy are the best! You can find almost anything you want or need when it comes to technology in that place. Plus, if you any kind of question about a product you wish to purchase the employees I've found are always incredibly helpful. If you have a Best Buy near you I would highly recommend that you pay a visit if you're in the market for any sort of technology.

Mark Benson Nakhon Sawan, 60

The set up of the store specifically isn’t exactly impressive but it isn’t bad. They carry a lot of very reliable products and are usually offered at reasonable prices. I found my favorite Bluetooth speaker from Best Buy and would definitely purchase another need be.

Jade Knowles Tallahassee, FL

Best Buy has been great during the pandemic. It’s very easy to shop online for what you need and their curb side pick up saves a lot of time. If you need any help, I was able to talk to somebody in the store to check for availabilities and better brands.

Yanesezah Fenelon Delray Beach, FL

This is a great company to purchase electronics from. All the products I have purchased from Best Buy have been worth the money. I also value the customer service and how easy it is to receive help from the workers in every department of the store.

Taylor Larson Nakhon Sawan, 60

Best Buy is where I go to buy all my electronics. The staff has always been very knowledgeable and more interested in helping you than making a sale. When trying to find the right computer, the sales person didn't push me towards the most expensive option. They heard what I did and didn't like and recommended a great option.

Jacqui Bopp Duncannon, PA

Top notch Products and.. exemplary customer.service!! knowledgeable and helpful associates.

Lisa C Johnson Windsor Mill, MD

Sometimes its hard to find someone to help you in the electronic section. I love Best Buy and their products but its hard to find things in the store. I am a premier rewards member. They also give you the option to make monthly payments interest free if you spend a certain amount of money. I do like this option. They have made things right if there is a screw up.

Brad H Gilbert, AZ

When looking for electronic equipment for my computer and television, Best Buy seems to have the largest selection. The prices are reasonable and they have a great return policy. Their return policy is especially great. I had one piece of. equipment that I used for an entire month. and then if. failed. I took it back and they refunded me the full purchase price.

Michael C. Fayetteville, AR

Best Buy has been such a great company for all my electronic needs and questions. From the phone I have, to the computer on my desk, Best Buy is always the first place I look for my products. The customer care is fantastic and Geek Squad has always been helpful to answer my questions and fix my electronics. I highly recommend Best Buy to purchase your next electronic device.

Wendy Rowlette Morgan, UT

I have purchased lots of electronics from Best Buy and it's always a good experience. The best was having a dvd player installed in my car. The wrong player was ordered and installed accidentally. The geek squad fixed it the mistake, removing the wrong one and then installing the correct player. It was a very time consuming job and it was done with so much courtesy and made the experience very positive. I will shop there for my electronic purchases.

Grant Conrady Fayetteville, AR

Best Buy is my go-to store for electronics. The variety of products they carry can really cater to any demographic. They have expensive items for large purchases and cheaper items for everyday technology use. I really like how they have changed their stores to better fit the tech-filled world we live in today. Their employees are always helpful and are eager to give you the best advice on the products that they carry.

David Anderson Providence, UT

I just purchased a macbook from Best Buy. The employees there were super helpful in helping me evaluate whether to choose a mac or a PC. I decided to splurge and go for the mac and I am so glad I did. The clerk was super helpful and showed me on the actual computer what things I would like on my new MacBook Pro over the PC I was looking at. I have been to BestBuy many times in the past, but I will go back much more in the future. I am currently looking at some outdoor appliances there as well. They have great selection and match prices online due to Bestbuy.com pricing.

Katie Kertzman Rogers, AR

Before going off to college, I bought my first laptop from Best Buy. The employees were extremely kind and gave me as much information as they could about the many different options so that I was ensured to have the best product for my personal needs. Best Buy has so many different things to choose from and all of the employees seem to be well educated on every product. I have gone back when I experienced tech problems and they were able to solve them right away.

MindyV Lubbock, TX

Best Buy has the WORST customer service ever!!!!! When I do go in to my local store, it's nearly impossible to get anyone to help you. They'll stand around visiting and ignore the customers. They also lie to their customers. I've bought laptops from Best Buy in the past and I've always bought the warranties. When I have a problem with my laptop and take it to Best Buy, they usually lie and tell me that it's covered under my warranty. Then a week later, they call me to tell me that it's not covered under my warranty and they haven't sent it to be fixed. They can rarely fix things in house, they always have to ship things off to someplace else to be fixed, which takes forever. I honestly don't trust Best Buy at all!!!!!!!!!

Wayne Young Little Rock, AR

Best Buy is a great store with knowledgeable staff for everything related to home electronics. They made the process of buying a TV and sound bar very easy and fast. Their prices are competitive with any online retailer plus you can get their warranties.

Odao Ogbonmwan Mableton, GA

I got my first MacBook Air from here and it was definitely a good deal! Still working on paying it off from the credit card I used to get it but I’m very satisfied with my purchases from here so far.

Austin Stelmach Boulder, CO

I bought my MacBook Air from Best Buy and got a great student deal that included a pair of beats studio headphones. The staff was super helpful and nice! I highly recommend for any electronic needs!

Jakob barre Norcross, GA

I’ve Bought a plethora of My home tech from the store definitely some of the best workers I’ve seen in a while really Want to help the customers and to help them get what they need.