Best Buy Logo

Best Buy

LAST UPDATED: October 15th, 2021

Founded in 1966, Best Buy rebranded in 1983 to become the company we know today, the now international consumer electronics store. It has locations and subsidiaries throughout North America including Mexico and Canada. It is also now not just a retailer but a family of brands and partnerships that includes brands such as Audiovisions, Future Shop, Geek Squad, Jiangsu Five Star, Magnolia Audio Video, Pacific Sales, and Cowboom.

Best Buy sells consumer electronics such as televisions, computers, tablets, wearables, cameras, video game systems and more. It also sells accompanying products such as software, video games, music, cell phones, car stereos and home appliances. Under its Geek Squad brand, Best Buy offers customers hardware repair and replacement, warranty services, accidental service plans, tech support, and installations and setups. Purchasing Geek Squad Protection enhances your manufacturer warranty and gives you extended coverage when the warranty ends.

Need help setting up your Wi-Fi network or mounting your new TV? Best Buy can assist with these types of services as well. This array of tech and installation services combined with its massive product selection makes Best Buy an impressive force in the computer and electronics retail space.

The Good

• Excellent Customer Service
  • Product Replacement Policy
  • Wide Variety of Products
  • Easy Shipping and Pickup Options
  • Price Match Policy

Excellent Customer Service

We liked the Geek Squad approach to customer service. In this medium, we found one of the most robust customer service platforms in the industry. Geek Squad is an owned subsidiary of Best Buy. In addition to providing customer service at every Best Buy store, customers can also get support 24/7 online or over the phone. Best Buy sells support packages with each item that is sold in a store.

Product Replacement Policy

Geek Squad has a "lemon" policy. If your product requires three repairs during the life of your service plan, the Geek Squad will turn your lemons into lemonade by replacing the product with a similar model if your model is no longer manufactured.

Wide Variety of Products

Best Buy offers customers a vast selection of electronic, home entertainment, gaming, and appliance products. This is very convenient and outpaces many competitors. We were impressed with its selection of Apple products and that the company offers sales on these items.

Best Buy also had a wide variety of "wearable technology" available. These included sports training aids, sports watches, and activity monitors and pedometers. Some of the companies in the industry lacked the number of items from Best Buy. Best Buy also carried home assistive technology, items ranging from phones to computers that helped those in need live easier at home.

There were more than enough accessories to make your computer user-friendly and ergonomic. When we looked at the keyboards and mice available through Best Buy, we found more than 164 pages of items, 97 items in total. We found a lot of good wireless mouse and keyboard combos, great for the person who wanted an ergonomic work center or specialized accessories for gaming.

In addition to the consumer electronics products, Best Buy offers customers a huge selection of products for home: appliances, cardio equipment, sustainable living products for home, smart home products, home and office furniture, and more.

We also liked the website's functionality, especially how it let customers sort through items. Customers could sort through items by brand, price, and other characteristics. Also, each item included a high-quality picture of the item.

Easy Shipping and Pickup Options

Best Buy goes above and beyond its competitors with its excellent shipping and pick up options. Thousands of items on its website are eligible for free, next-day shipping on a $35 minimum purchase. Next-day delivery is based on product availability and on the time of day the order is placed. The company also offers free standard shipping on orders $35 and up on qualifying items.

And if you’d like your order even faster, Best Buy stores offer the convenience of in-store pickup and curbside pickup for free.

Price Match Policy

Best Buy won’t be beat on price. It matches the product prices of key online and local competitors for immediately available products. At the time of sale, Best Buy will price match local retail competitors (including their online prices) as well as these major online retailers: Amazon.com, Crutchfield.com, Dell.com, HP.com, and TigerDirect.com. It will also match its own lower in-store, online or app prices during the return and exchange period upon request.

The Bad

• Poor Customer Experience
  • Customer Complaints

Poor Customer Experience

The in-store experience with Best Buy often leaves something to be desired. Some reviews online, as well as a recent Forbes article, listed this as one of the reasons Best Buy often struggles to keep customers in the store. The Forbes article commented on the typical customer experience at Best Buy. Often, a customer walking into a store for self-service (to purchase the items they know they need) will receive an experience pressuring them to buy more things. This was a trend in some of the reviews we read about Best Buy online.

Customer Complaints

Best Buy has received mixed reviews online. One customer complaint involved the purchase of an Apple MacBook Pro from a store. The customer found the 2012 model sticker on the inside of their computer, contacted Apple, and was told that they had purchased an "old-stock" computer. The inventories of some brands in stores are often older models that Best Buy has purchased in stock.

Another customer had purchased a $450 computer, according to a complaint, and it was not working after the 15-day Return and Exchange Promise. The customer was advised to go to the manufacturer or purchase a Geek Squad plan. Electronics are expensive investments, and consumers should have access to the best products available.

The Bottom Line

Best Buy is a leading consumer electronics and home technology store in North America for a reason. You will find it has an incredible selection of home and personal technology products to offer and that its price match policy makes its prices highly competitive. You should check out its daily deals section for even better pricing on rotating items.

If you are looking for help with installation or protection for your technology items beyond the limited 15-day return and exchange window Geek Squad is a great option. You will be able to see its services broken down by technology type and it even includes pricing for various services. We also were impressed with Geek Squad’s lemon policy. You should be aware of Best Buy’s return and exchange policy as it is fairly strict and limited without purchasing one of its plans for Elite members and Elite Plus members.

View Best Computer and Electronic Stores Companies

Brittney Mac Gregor Louisville, KY

I consider Best Buy a big box store, but I do shop there frequently, both in person and online. They generally have a small selection in store but a pretty wide selection online. They do not offer any macbooks or apple products, aside from phones, so that is a downside. The prices are pretty good and there always seems to be a decent deal going on. Almost all my household appliances have come from Bestbuy. They also have a great deal when you use your card, either 5% off your order or a year 0% intrest. The only con, is when your in the store, the staff pretend to be knowledgeable about the products they are selling, but as a computer scientist, I called BS on them when they attempted to describe computers to me. Don't trust the sales people, they are just ordinary people trying to make sales for the store, they have no clue about what they are selling.

Doug Foerch Libertyville, IL

I don’t think it’s always the Best Buy, but the sale [people are usually knowledgeable and helpful, plus it’s at least a good buy.

Anne Sainsbury Orem, UT

I have purchased many things from Best Buy. For the most part if there is ever a connection cord that I need for my electronics, I head the Best Buy. I have never purchased faulty equipment there! I also love their selection of computer monitors and the deals that they have every so often for them. I have been able to invest in 2 very nice computer monitors at almost %50 of the price due to their sales events. I have had them for almost 3 years now and they are still in fantastic condition. Customer service in the store (though sometimes very busy) are always very helpful!

Dave Spokane, WA

In this online world we live in, Best Buy is about the only store left of its kind, where you can actually go into an electronics store and see the product. The sales associates do not get paid commissions so you don't feel pressure to buy while you are looking around. The product selection is huge, including Apple products. Prices are always competitive.

Leonard Leo Potomac, MD

As one of the remaining B&M stores left, Best Buy continues to offer reasonably priced products competing with online stores. With price matching abilities, the consumer is fairly well protected. Best Buys wide selection of products is impressive in today's market ranging from music/videos, electronics, cell phones, computers, appliances and gaming.

Mark Benson Nakhon Sawan, 60

The set up of the store specifically isn’t exactly impressive but it isn’t bad. They carry a lot of very reliable products and are usually offered at reasonable prices. I found my favorite Bluetooth speaker from Best Buy and would definitely purchase another need be.

Jade Knowles Tallahassee, FL

Best Buy has been great during the pandemic. It’s very easy to shop online for what you need and their curb side pick up saves a lot of time. If you need any help, I was able to talk to somebody in the store to check for availabilities and better brands.

Chris Bright Tempe, AZ

Best buy has really gone down hill. Electronics and parts are grossly overpriced, if they even have what you need in the first place. I have stopped going and make my Best Buy like purchases on Amazon

Brenda Nakhon Sawan, 60

Best Buy is a a fun store to browse in. The layout of each store is frequently very fluid and appealing. I bought my favorite Bluetooth speaker from Best Buy as well as an underwater camera that has been reliable for over 3 years.

Robyn Brady Kent, OH

I buy all of my electronics through Best Buy as I can pay over 12 months interest free. We recently purchased a new wine fridge through Best buy and last year got 6 new Apple Watches. All paid for through a very easy to use app!!

Yanesezah Fenelon Delray Beach, FL

This is a great company to purchase electronics from. All the products I have purchased from Best Buy have been worth the money. I also value the customer service and how easy it is to receive help from the workers in every department of the store.

Taylor Larson Nakhon Sawan, 60

Best Buy is where I go to buy all my electronics. The staff has always been very knowledgeable and more interested in helping you than making a sale. When trying to find the right computer, the sales person didn't push me towards the most expensive option. They heard what I did and didn't like and recommended a great option.

Megan Milke Laurel, MD

I commonly buy my electronics from best buy. I often notice that they have higher prices than other retailers on amazon, but I think best buy's option for device insurance and their amazing customer service are worth the extra price.

Lisa C Johnson Windsor Mill, MD

Sometimes its hard to find someone to help you in the electronic section. I love Best Buy and their products but its hard to find things in the store. I am a premier rewards member. They also give you the option to make monthly payments interest free if you spend a certain amount of money. I do like this option. They have made things right if there is a screw up.

Madisen Cluff Nakhon Sawan, 60

BestBuy has a great clean atmosphere. Their products are a little pricy for me but the laptop I got from there works great and hasn’t had any problems in the three years that I’ve had it.

MindyV Lubbock, TX

Best Buy has the WORST customer service ever!!!!! When I do go in to my local store, it's nearly impossible to get anyone to help you. They'll stand around visiting and ignore the customers. They also lie to their customers. I've bought laptops from Best Buy in the past and I've always bought the warranties. When I have a problem with my laptop and take it to Best Buy, they usually lie and tell me that it's covered under my warranty. Then a week later, they call me to tell me that it's not covered under my warranty and they haven't sent it to be fixed. They can rarely fix things in house, they always have to ship things off to someplace else to be fixed, which takes forever. I honestly don't trust Best Buy at all!!!!!!!!!

Olivia Hardy Olney, MD

I purchased a Sony TV 4 days ago. Everything was great including the gentleman who helped me. Angel at the Pleasant Hill store helped me pick out a Sony 65” tv, set up delivery the next day and even talked me into extra coverage in case anything happened to it. He said it included any issues that came up, including accidental damage

Jessica Chen Rockville, MD

Today, I went to Best Buy to buy a computer. Employees were great as they provided top notch service and I ended up purchasing a Mac laptop which was perfect for school. They provided great options with knowledge about the perfect computer for me. The only I hope the store is more organized as computers were not all in one area so I had to look around the whole store.

Sierra Nixon Fort Lauderdale, FL

I am a second year college student and prior to leaving for college, I visited Best Buy to find a laptop for my college career. The employees were extremely helpful. They helped me find a high quality laptop that would meet all of my needs in my budget. I have had a great experience with Best Buy!

Thomas Nuffer Orem, UT

Best Buy is the best place to try out and buy anything electronic. Sometimes it's nice to go into a brick and mortar store and see things in person and try them out before buying it, and I'm really glad that Best Buy still exists to go to.

Corbin Short ,

I used to love Best Buy. I could go and get valuable information on different products. Now, it is easier to buy things online and get information there. I would give BestBuy 4 stars, but the last time I went, I stood there for 30 minutes waiting to get help from a sales associate, but there were 3 of them trying to upsell one customer. They would walk right past me. I don't know what the payment incentives are, but if they are causing them not to serve the customer like this, then it needs to be changed. Just to be clear, this was the Best Buy in American Fork, UT. Very frustrating experience.

Tanner Cook Gilbert, AZ

Best Buy can price match on many items, which makes shopping there just as effecient as online, without the wait time! Plus you can actually look at what you’re purchasing at first - sometimes I’ve bought things online, only to have buyers remorse because the description wasn’t fitting. That’s not a problem here and I can always return the item directly back to the store. Win-win!

Cassidy Gundersen Orem, UT

Oh how we love best buy! Most all of our electronics are from there. Their prices aren’t inherently the cheapest- but if you wait for a sale or know exactly what you want- they are a great option. Having the Geek Squad protection and warranty give me a peace of mind. Customer service has always been helpful and understanding as well. We love best buy!

Michael C. Fayetteville, AR

Best Buy has been such a great company for all my electronic needs and questions. From the phone I have, to the computer on my desk, Best Buy is always the first place I look for my products. The customer care is fantastic and Geek Squad has always been helpful to answer my questions and fix my electronics. I highly recommend Best Buy to purchase your next electronic device.

Wendy Rowlette Morgan, UT

I have purchased lots of electronics from Best Buy and it's always a good experience. The best was having a dvd player installed in my car. The wrong player was ordered and installed accidentally. The geek squad fixed it the mistake, removing the wrong one and then installing the correct player. It was a very time consuming job and it was done with so much courtesy and made the experience very positive. I will shop there for my electronic purchases.

Grant Conrady Fayetteville, AR

Best Buy is my go-to store for electronics. The variety of products they carry can really cater to any demographic. They have expensive items for large purchases and cheaper items for everyday technology use. I really like how they have changed their stores to better fit the tech-filled world we live in today. Their employees are always helpful and are eager to give you the best advice on the products that they carry.

David Anderson Providence, UT

I just purchased a macbook from Best Buy. The employees there were super helpful in helping me evaluate whether to choose a mac or a PC. I decided to splurge and go for the mac and I am so glad I did. The clerk was super helpful and showed me on the actual computer what things I would like on my new MacBook Pro over the PC I was looking at. I have been to BestBuy many times in the past, but I will go back much more in the future. I am currently looking at some outdoor appliances there as well. They have great selection and match prices online due to Bestbuy.com pricing.

Katie Kertzman Rogers, AR

Before going off to college, I bought my first laptop from Best Buy. The employees were extremely kind and gave me as much information as they could about the many different options so that I was ensured to have the best product for my personal needs. Best Buy has so many different things to choose from and all of the employees seem to be well educated on every product. I have gone back when I experienced tech problems and they were able to solve them right away.

KS Orem, UT

We have bought many products here and they're all great. Customer service was awesome last time we went in to buy a laptop.

Erna Valcin Tallahassee, FL

This is my go to for electronic appliances for family gifts. I even bough my bluetooth speaker, and an air fryer and it has lasted over a year.

DaretoExpose Las Vegas, NV

Best Buy sell malware computer systems and recovery services. They are part of the ISP cyber criminal network in Las Vegas Nv. After purchasing several computer systems from Best Buy, the computers were rigged to automatically connect to a Geek Squad Trojan Horse server that connects to Cox Communication Trojan Horse. Backdoor unauthorized access is planted in hidden file, hidden settings and in the registry of all of their Windows Operating Systems since 2001 and continue to sabotage their customers property then overcharge for their hack. Geek Squad purposely infect, valdilaize and destroy the customers system without their knowledge. Geek Squad design and creates malware software, virus scanners, including pre-install malware Windows Operating Systems.

Caloway Salt Lake City, UT

Their products are always more expensive than anywhere else and when you go in to buy something they try to sell you some coverage or protection plan and then when you tell them no, they ignore you and continue to try and sell you the extras. Good products but you can find the same stuff for a cheaper price most other places.

Taylor Larson Pho Thale, 66

I love how Best Buy has price matched my items in the past. I have always been able to find the technology I wanted from their stores with the help of their employees.

Beth Knight Nakhon Sawan, 60

I have always gone to Best Buy to find electronics and other accessories. The staff is always extremely helpful and friendly and I am always able to find everything I need

Elisabeth Kinghorn Bangkok, 10

Best Buy has probably any electronic or accessory you could ever want. Staff is also always helpful and friendly. My absolute go to for anything tech!

hminfo Olney, MD

Best Buy is great for price shopping because they will price match if you find a lower offer elsewhere. And their shipping or store pickup is easy and convenient.

Msdaisy70 Clarksburg, MD

Always has the latest technology and the staff is knowledgeable about the items in their respective departments. i just wish i could find someone to help me during busy season (during the holidays).

peter harmatuk Poolesville, MD

Best buy has been our "go to" store to purchase most electronic products. Their selection is very extensive and they seem to always have what I need in stock whether it be a small component or a large system. Their selection of major appliances meets or, in many cases, exceeds the selection of other stores in other locations.

Kali D. Tallahassee, FL

Best Buy always has everything I need. I go to them for all of my electronic needs. And they never disappoint with their customer service, they always have employees ready to help.

Janiah Cook Tallahassee, FL

All of my electronics come from here. I have just about every apple product & they have always been spot on. I can go to them about any issue & their customer service is always up to par.

Eban Beltran Arlington, TX

Occasional good deals but they always try to get you with the accessories and cables. For best value do some online price comparison before you step foot inside and get swayed by the in-person appeal of a purchase. Friendly staff and good products but not always the best on price.

Preston Jackson Lehi, UT

My last experience in Best Buy was great. I went in looking for a tech product. I had done homework beforehand, but also wanted input from the rep who was there. They gave me valuable and unbiased feedback without pushing me to buy the most expensive product in the lineup.

murfday College Station, TX

If you spend enough and sign up for their loyalty program, you can get free shipping and surprise coupons (for at least $5 off.) I like that they offer curbside pickup. Over the years, their pricing has become more competitive.

Landon Badoni Montgomery, TX

I haven't had a bad experience with Best Buy so far. I've helped my parents purchase cell phones, tablets, cases, etc. from Best Buy and every time has been straightforward and honest.

Jackson Barousse New Orleans, LA

Best buy is my favorite electronics store, as they have frequent deals on the hottest products. I have purchased all my TV's from Best Buy, and their customer service has always been excellent. Their Geek Squad service is also extremely helpful and is conveniently located inside many stores.

Pekeiydra Williams Tallahassee, FL

I come to BestBuy a lot for maintenance on my apple products since there is not a Apple store near me. The staff are always respectful of appointment times and they work fast. They always try to help in the best way as possible.

Janie Dennis Tallahassee, FL

I freaking love Best Buy!! I have bought all of my electronics from them and I have never been unsatisfied! Maybe one damaged part on my laptop but overall they are great! They wouldn't still be around for as long as they have!

Cade Boudreaux , FL

I love Best Buy. I’ve bought TV’s and my Macbook that i both still use to this day. They are very helpful and the products are fairly priced. The Geek Squad has helped me with multiple problems i’ve had with previous computers.

Imani Monroe Tallahassee, FL

All my products from Best Buy have been exceptional and I will always and continue to get my products from Best Buy. Geek Squad has also been amazing helpers in fixing my laptop or tablet. I highly recommend them as a warranty protection plan for your devices and appliances.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Hands down-Best Buy is simply amazing. Their TVs and electronics are unmatched in price and variety. I have purchased all types of home electronics and have never been disappointed. The opposite- I've been ecstatic. Their services like install and repair, financing, or store customer service are all exceptional!