Zappos

5.3

Zappos is an online retailer of clothes based out of Las Vegas, NV. Recently Amazon acquired Zappos, integrating it into the Amazon online family of products and services that is fully supported with Amazon's online payment and customer service paradigm.

Zappos came into being when the founder saw a pair of Airwalks on sale. This helped the founder generate the idea of selling items online way back in 1999. Zappos had a fantastic year in 2000, when it brought in $1.6 million in revenue after stagnating in 1999. Zappos has expanded to include shoes, online clothing, and other products that are found in traditional "big box" clothing stores.

#1 Macy's Logo Macy's ›

7.9

Overall
Score

#2 JCPenney Logo JCPenney ›

7.8

Overall
Score

#3 H&M Logo H&M ›

7.6

Overall
Score

#12 Zappos Logo Zappos

5.3

Overall
Score

The Good

• Low prices on clothing
  • Outstanding shipping and return policies

Zappos has disrupted the online clothing and shopping industry. Three specific areas where they deliver excellence is:

Low Prices on Clothing

Zappos has become a popular destination for clothing shoppers in search of the best prices. Not only are they providing some of the lowest prices available online, many of the items of clothing are from some of the most popular brands in the industry. Not only are their prices on these popular products very low, they have a large selection of clothing items to choose from. Especially concerning shoes, a customer can purchase name brand boots, shoes, and other footwear. Customers can purchase kids clothes and shoes in both girls and boys styles. This is something that isn't in every online clothing store.

Outstanding Shipping and Return Policies

There is a no-hassle shipping and returns policy from Zappos which has been a game-changer in the online shopping world. All shipping and returns are free. If a customer is not happy with a product, they can return it with the easy-to-use self-service return system. You have a year to decide whether or not you want to keep the product. This is a huge time difference when compared to other average return policies that last 30 to 60 days. All merchandise, not defective, must be returned in the same condition it was received.

The Bad

• Potentially cluttered online catalog

It is a challenge to find things wrong with Zappos and their online clothing store. However, a few things could be improved slightly to increase the online shopping experience:

Potentially Cluttered Online Catalog

Zappos online catalog itself leaves one's shopping experience wanting, but only slightly. It is difficult to see all the items available (men's pants had 13 pages of items to view). This is a slight negative consequence to having so many quality products for different customer types. The search tool, however, helps remedy this. You are able to type in brands or clothing types that you are searching for to speed up your shopping experience. Most of the categories also have filters found on the left-hand side of the page to help speed up the shopping process as well. Also, it is a little bit cumbersome to try and trace the price of products initially. You can sort by price with the search tool, but it is relatively challenging to find a nice, mid-priced item that is currently on sale. Although it is a relative challenge to find these types of products quickly, there are countless items that meet these and other criteria to ultimately choose from.

The Bottom Line

We recommend Zappos. We felt like they were the best in the online clothing industry when it came to customer service. We also found that Zappos focuses exclusively on customer service. Zappos takes over 5000 service calls a month and even responds to 1200 emails a week. This amount of customer service is unparalleled in the online clothing industry. We hope that Zappos and their great customer service trend continues with their acquisition by Amazon.

3.1

Laura

December 17th, 2017 Herriman, UT DETAILS

The site is expensive but you do get to find more selection then you do in a store. I can find a lot of choices. The shipping is also really good.

Hannah

December 12th, 2017 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Zappos is rad. Their free shipping and returns is probably my favorite part. I know that I can try and return any product, without losing a penny! Their inventory is a little overwhelming - they just have SO much stuff - but if you know what you're looking for, the site has great filtering options so you can dial in the right products. They rock.

LZap

December 12th, 2017 Quincy, MA DETAILS

I used to LOVE Zappos. They were the best. Customer Service WAS Phenomenal. I was purchased to much from them that they used to send me birthday gifts and cards (which I thought was just awesome). Over the past years (since Amazon is involved) Zappos has gone way down hill. I received so many wrong items, defective items etc but I always let it slide because the customer service was great. My last straw was this morning when I chatted to do two exchanges (same shoe, same price just different color). First off I was chatting with them for over one hour which is ridiculous. Secondly they told me you can only do one exchange per day so to chat back and waste another hour tomorrow to exchange my second item. NOT!! They advertise hassle free exchanges and returns 24/7/365 days per year. That is absolutely NOT the case anymore. I will NEVER shop Zappos again and I have been a customer since 2010. Do not shop there they are not the same company anymore.

Vanessa Call

November 7th, 2017 Lehi, UT DETAILS

Zappos customer service is amazing! I bought some slippers for my husbands birthday, and when they arrived, they were clearly worn. I gave them a call and they immediately put a new pair in the mail for me, and had me just trash the pair I received, as of course, no one wants those. Additionally, because of the inconvenience they credited my account for a portion of the slippers. Overall it was a great experience, like every time!

Katelyn Empey

October 29th, 2017 Logan, UT DETAILS

Zappos is a great company to work with. They are fast delivery and great return policy as well as customer service. I always know I'm getting the best.

Meghan Martin

October 4th, 2017 Brookings, SD

I ordered something over a month ago and still haven't received it. I have contacted their customer service time after time with no response. They are refusing to refund me my money and now i am contacting the BBB and filing a police report this company is a SCAM and a FRUAD

Oliver

July 21st, 2017 Oceanside, CA

I just had a customer service situation resolved with the best case scenario. So good of a scenario I didn't consider this to be an option in advance. So good of a scenario, I'm worried that if I describe the details people may take advantage of the company. Still can't believe this is how it went down...

Jenna LeStarge

June 7th, 2017

Zappos customer service is the best I have experienced. I always speak directly with a real person! A few months ago I ordered the wrong size boots, I contacted customer service and they had the correct size delivered the next day! I hadn't even had a chance to return the original pair. I was very very impressed.

Kenneth Okerlund

May 26th, 2017

A little overpriced, and since it is online you don't always know just how it will fit (I feel like each shoe company has a different sizing method..) but they have amazing delivery timing and always still to their return policy which is nice.

Willie M. Mendelsohn

November 24th, 2016 Lewes, DE

I purchase a couple of shoes last week when i received my shoes and when i unpacked i got to see very dusty and used one it was look like. When i tried to email them to their customer care, they asked me to take a snap and send them to email. When i did after 10 days they replied me that exchange or replacement cant be possible. Totally scam Its just wasting of time to make purchase with these website. For those who faced or facing the same issue would like to say is that i found a new website boutiqueken.com , they are far good than these website, the best part is their customer care is very smart and fast supportive.

nayeli