Urban Outfitters

3.2

Urban Outfitters was founded in 1970. They largely feature retro, vintage, and other non-mainstream styles of clothing. This style appeals to a wide range of customers, including hippies, and those who have alternative styles of dress. One of the things that many customers like about Urban Outfitters is the low price.

They have five different other brands they carry within their stores and sells to other big box retailers. They also sell footwear and housewares on special occasions. One of the things that defines them is how they create styling trends that lie outside of traditional clothing standards.

Urban Outfitters strives to create a differentiated shopping experience for its customers. From time to time, they have carried special merchandise in its stores. One of the unique pieces of merchandise sold in addition to clothes was a now-defunct line of Polaroid cameras in an attempt to further appeal to its customers.

#1 Macy's Logo Macy's ›

7.9

Overall
Score

#2 JCPenney Logo JCPenney ›

7.8

Overall
Score

#3 H&M Logo H&M ›

7.6

Overall
Score

#52 Urban Outfitters Logo Urban Outfitters

3.2

Overall
Score

The Good

• Non-traditional style
  • 47 years of experience
  • Free shipping offered

The "non-traditional" approach to styling is a major selling point for many shoppers. It is easy to find these products on various sales and deals throughout the year. There are a lot of outdoor clothes available at Urban Outfitters. The "apartment accessories" category provides shoppers with a lot of variety. You will be able to find many things to outfit your apartment with cool, hip things such as a "Heavy Metal" items such as speakers and ear buds to enjoy music and further deck out one's apartments.

We liked the pricing of brands that were available at Urban Outfitters. If you spend over $50 at Urban Outfitters, you will be able to get a couple of pieces of clothes and get free standard shipping. Most customers responded favorably to the shipping options available to Urban Outfitters. We also liked the fact that the return policy is straightforward and easy to understand. You can also return online items at Urban Outfitters Stores.

The Bad

• Insensitive marketing campaigns
  • Customer complaints

Urban Outfitters is not without controversy. We found that their marketing campaigns were sometimes a little bit insensitive. There was a version of Monopoly released called Ghettopoloy. The NAACP criticized Urban Outfitters for this somewhat tasteless game.

In 2012, Urban Outfitters also released a transphobia greeting card. This was problematic for LGBT customers, many of which decided to take their business elsewhere.

We also looked a little bit more closely at Urban Outfitters' customer complaints. One customer ordered something for a bridal exchange. The item arrived extremely badly damaged. The bride actually called for another item and the customer who purchased the item on the bridal registry was billed twice. This indicates that Urban Outfitters has some problems with its billing and collections procedures.

The Bottom Line

Overall, we thought that Urban Outfitters had some unique products and services for its customers. The hipster approach and different marketing paradigms make shopping at Urban Outfitters a unique experience. Customers can buy things for the outdoors, deck out their apartments, and find other items in addition to clothes.

If you enjoy their style of clothing and have a decent budget, they may be a good option for you. Be aware of their billing issues and also, try to watch for their sales. If they had more sales and better company tactics, we would recommend Urban Outfitters.

3.1

Vince

December 20th, 2017 Beverly Hills, CA DETAILS

Worst online experience!They send half the order and after you receive half the order they send you a mail saying it is out of stock! I complained and they just blocked my account, I could not order anymore. What the f...? RUN AWAY FROM URBAN OUTFITTERS!

Suzanna Wootton

December 18th, 2017 Springville, UT DETAILS

Really cute clothes, I just don't love the prices.

Patrick

December 14th, 2017 Orem, UT DETAILS

This place matches my style so well. I gave them a five rating but there flaw is they like to over price their clothing. Best time to shop is during a sale around holidays. Only then is this store worth it. Don;t buy clothes ate full price. It is ridiculous. Another reason why it is 5 is the store is setup like your bedroom. Everything is comfortable and not in your face selling you. It is really chill (cool music). Good atmosphere.

Hunter Burdon

November 26th, 2017 Valencia, CA DETAILS

Ordered from the site and one item shipped quickly without any issues the others shipped separately and were late because they attempted delivery twice but had the wrong address. How do items that are on the same order as the last one now have the wrong address? After being on the phone several times with UPS and not getting anywhere I called UO customer service who just told me to call UPS back and their best guess is that the shipping label got cut off, why didn't anyone check this? So finally after hearing nothing for a few days I talked to customer service again who said they would send me a refund and I should expect it in 24-48 hours. It took at least 4 days and writing another customer service member to get it taken care of except they refunded me for the one item that actually came on time not the three still missing. Wrote again to customer service who said they would call within a few hours and still haven't heard anything. It's been days and I wrote in as well, nothing. I'm guessing I'm never going to get this refund. DON'T EVER SHOP HERE.

Hayley Lambdin

November 8th, 2017 Orem, UT DETAILS

Here's the thing with Urban Outfitters: It is a great place if you're looking for some fun, hipster, knick knacks. Anything beyond that though, you are going to be paying an arm and a leg for a piece of clothing as simple as a sock.

Derek Heiner

November 4th, 2017 Centerville, UT DETAILS

I haven't shopped there a lot, but everything i have ever seen there is really overpriced. They do have really trendy clothes, but it's all too expensive that it's really hard for me to buy it.

Landon

October 29th, 2017 Centerville, UT DETAILS

I love the wide variety of clothing that they have here. My only complaint is that it is a bit overpriced in my opinion.

Sandra Dubas

June 13th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

Urban Outfitters is really cure but kind of expensive. Also their styles are for specific demographic only. You can never find any professional clothing there. Also, they have the cutest home decor.

Blake Wilcox

June 13th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

Urban outfitters are great if you are looking for something specific. Their styles are very out there and so expensive. I do like their home and kitchen stuff. I have bought a few things from urban outfitters and they have worked out good for me so far.

Lindsay H.

June 10th, 2017 Draper, UT

I like to browse at Urban Outfitters because the store carries a lot of cool, unique products. It's a little pricey, but I have bought some awesome jewelry and home decor items at Urban that I love.

Jonny Hancock

May 31st, 2017 Draper, UT

I got the coolest swimsuit that I have ever owned at Urban Outfitters. I get compliments every time I wear it. I'd recommend this store to anyone that wants trendy clothes at reasonable prices.

Naevi Staheli

May 29th, 2017

There's a wide range of cute products available. The pictures online aren't very helpful. The shipping is expensive and takes longer than it says to deliver.