Rue21

Rue21 is one of the fastest growing fashion retail brands in the country. Starting in 1976, they have become a specialty discount retailer for young men's and women's casual apparel and accessories. Rue21 is headquartered in Pennsylvania and has grown to have over 1,100 retail locations in forty-eight states. As their website says, they offer the latest fashion trends while staying affordable, so their customers don't have to sacrifice style for savings.

The name Rue21 was created from the French word Rue (which means street) followed by the 21 because, according to their website, that is the age everyone wants to be. After careful review, we recommend Rue21 for online clothing shopping.

Rank Chart Our Score User Score
#1 9.2 4.2 Read Review
#2 8.9 6.1 Read Review
#3 8.8 3.2 Read Review
#41 3.2 1.7 Current

The Good

• Affordable pricing for men and women
  • Consistent sales and promotions
  • Free shipping and returns

Rue21 is known in the fashion industry as being a bargain-shopping destination. They provide their customers with affordable clothing in numerous locations around the country and online.

Affordable Pricing for Men and Women

The store Rue21 is marketed for a younger generation. Their merchandise is mainly sold for both teenage girls and boys. Because clothes are sold for this age group the company tries to keep pricing reasonable. Most items are very affordable, falling in the twenty-dollar range and can be found at discounted prices at one time or another. Their goal is to be a company that provides youth with fashion and style without having to sacrifice their savings.

Both boys and girl's clothing is sold at Rue21 along with many other types of merchandise. Rue21 is not limited to apparel selections but also sell shoes, accessories, fragrances, plus size clothing as well as normal apparel selections. Each category is listed as its own brand and can be easily accessed on their online store as well as in any retail location.

Consistent Sales and Promotions

When shopping on the online website, a customer can find a number of promotions running on the homepage. Promotions such as buy one get one, and free shipping with orders over fifty dollars are frequently found on the website. The top menu bar includes a sales tab for all merchandise that has been discounted to an even lower affordable price. Most items will find their way to the sales selection at one time or another and customers can always find a great bargain deal while shopping with Rue21.

Free Shipping and Returns

Rue21 offers free shipping with any order that totals over fifty dollars. This is a great benefit to customers located in the contiguous forty-eight states but, unfortunately, does not offer to ship to anywhere outside of this location. They do not have international shipping and will not even ship to Alaska or Hawaii in the United States. Rue21 also extends a free return policy to any returns in-store. A purchase made online can be returned to a retail location at no cost to the customer. However, if a customer does decide to return an item via mail, the customer is responsible for all shipping costs. Rue21 will accept returns for the first thirty days after purchase and will even accept any and all merchandise for return as long as it is not damaged.

The Bad

• Customer service availability

Rue21 has a few things that could be improved:

Customer Service Availability

Rue21 online shopping website refers customers to get in contact with the customer service department if they have any questions or concerns about their purchases. The only way to get ahold of the department is by one phone number. For a store the size of Rue21 and one that has been in business 39 years, customer service should be a top priority in the best way to keep their customer happy and returning. The difficult customer service is reflected in their return policy by only accepting returns for the most part in-store. A company that is available to ship merchandise all across the country should be able to make returning it through the same mailing process easier on the shopper.

The Bottom Line

Rue21 is a large company that offers affordable fashion styles to teenage boys and girls in the United States. They have many great promotions running that change with time and keep customers excited to see what is next both on the online store as well as their retail locations. They have been in business for thirty-nine years and have learned how to keep their customers returning. They offer free shipping on any orders over fifty dollars and allow returns for up to thirty days after the original purchase was made. They do however have customer service issues. This can be improved though and customers will continue to love the products and style sold at Rue21. Because of the many positives, we recommend shopping from Rue21.

10 Rue21 Reviews

1. Select Your Rating

2. Subject For This Review * (Select all that apply)

0 characters

3. Review Validation*

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Next Step: Verify your email

We have sent a verification email to the following email address:

July 29th, 2017 Opelika, AL

Ordered online on 7/22/17 and I only received a confirmation with an order number. I contacted customer service today, 7/29/17 to find out my package was delivered to store yesterday! I did not receive any info pertaining to when it shipped, how it shipped, etc. I will never order online from them ever again! I'm just glad I called!

June 13th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I went to Rue21 once and never going there again. Clothing there is crap and the person who was working at the store was really rude. Also their prices are low only because of the bad quality clothing they have there.

June 10th, 2017 Draper, UT

Customer service at Rue 21 is quite poor and clothes are low-quality. I once bought a shirt here that ripped the first time I wore it.

May 31st, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

Rue 21 has great sales on clearance items. There merchandise isn't the highest quality. However, it's a good bang for your buck.

May 31st, 2017 Draper, UT

The prices here are pretty low, but the quality of the clothing is not very good. Definitely not the place to go if you are looking for something high end.

January 14th, 2017 Eatontown, NJ

Had a worst experience with Rue 21. Had ordered 4 items online of which I did not get 1 item and among the other 3, two items were not which I ordered. So contacted customer care, who told me to return the wrong items and promised me refund for the missing item. But I did not get the refund for any, even after returning the wrong items. After several calls to customer care I somehow managed to get the refund for just 1 missing item. For the wrong items which I returned them, I never got refund. Every time I call customer care, they say they have issued a refund now, but of no use. I dont even know now, whom should I contact. Rue 21 PISSED me off. I swear never to buy any item from Rue21.

January 12th, 2017

Worst customer service ever. They dont want to stop taking about there night out long enough to help you. If you ask for something they are very rude

0 1

January 5th, 2017

2 weeks and still have not received my order. After holding for customer service for 45 minutes I asked to cancel my order. I was told that I can't cancel because the order is in process and they are unable to expedite. Well duh, my order has been for 2 weeks. Asked for a supervisor and was told they are all in a meeting. The rep continued to tell me I can't cancel have to wait and return it to the store. The rep repeated the same call script several times before I got frustrated and disconnected the call. I have $150 tied up waiting for this order because they don't charge your card until they ship. Worst customer service ever. When I do finally receive my order, I will be taking it back. Won't support a company that refuses to help customers and does not hire US citizens for its online customer service.

1 0

October 25th, 2016 Sisters, OR

They don't ship for lie 9 days then you have to wait ANOTHER7-10 DAYS

1 0

July 25th, 2016 Minneapolis, MN

Customer service is slow at calling you back about situations that may arise in store. I have called 6 times for the same thing and the regional manager has not called me back yet. I guess it doesn't matter if I shop in their store or not.