Rue21 Logo

6.3

Rue21 is one of the fastest growing fashion retail brands in the country. Starting in 1976, they have become a specialty discount retailer for young men's and women's casual apparel and accessories. Rue21 is headquartered in Pennsylvania and has grown to have over 1,100 retail locations in forty-eight states. As their website says, they offer the latest fashion trends while staying affordable, so their customers don't have to sacrifice style for savings. The name Rue21 was created from the French word Rue (which means street) followed by the 21 because, according to their website, that is the age everyone wants to be. After careful review, we recommend Rue21 for online clothing shopping.

Nike Logo
#2 Nike chevron_right
Target Logo
#3 Target chevron_right

The Good

• Affordable pricing for men and women
  • Consistent sales and promotions
  • Free shipping and returns
Rue21 is known in the fashion industry as being a bargain-shopping destination. They provide their customers with affordable clothing in numerous locations around the country and online.

Affordable Pricing for Men and Women

The store Rue21 is marketed for a younger generation. Their merchandise is mainly sold for both teenage girls and boys. Because clothes are sold for this age group the company tries to keep pricing reasonable. Most items are very affordable, falling in the twenty-dollar range and can be found at discounted prices at one time or another. Their goal is to be a company that provides youth with fashion and style without having to sacrifice their savings. Both boys and girl's clothing is sold at Rue21 along with many other types of merchandise. Rue21 is not limited to apparel selections but also sell shoes, accessories, fragrances, plus size clothing as well as normal apparel selections. Each category is listed as its own brand and can be easily accessed on their online store as well as in any retail location.

Consistent Sales and Promotions

When shopping on the online website, a customer can find a number of promotions running on the homepage. Promotions such as buy one get one, and free shipping with orders over fifty dollars are frequently found on the website. The top menu bar includes a sales tab for all merchandise that has been discounted to an even lower affordable price. Most items will find their way to the sales selection at one time or another and customers can always find a great bargain deal while shopping with Rue21.

Free Shipping and Returns

Rue21 offers free shipping with any order that totals over fifty dollars. This is a great benefit to customers located in the contiguous forty-eight states but, unfortunately, does not offer to ship to anywhere outside of this location. They do not have international shipping and will not even ship to Alaska or Hawaii in the United States. Rue21 also extends a free return policy to any returns in-store. A purchase made online can be returned to a retail location at no cost to the customer. However, if a customer does decide to return an item via mail, the customer is responsible for all shipping costs. Rue21 will accept returns for the first thirty days after purchase and will even accept any and all merchandise for return as long as it is not damaged.

The Bad

• Customer service availability
Rue21 has a few things that could be improved:

Customer Service Availability

Rue21 online shopping website refers customers to get in contact with the customer service department if they have any questions or concerns about their purchases. The only way to get ahold of the department is by one phone number. For a store the size of Rue21 and one that has been in business 39 years, customer service should be a top priority in the best way to keep their customer happy and returning. The difficult customer service is reflected in their return policy by only accepting returns for the most part in-store. A company that is available to ship merchandise all across the country should be able to make returning it through the same mailing process easier on the shopper.

The Bottom Line

Rue21 is a large company that offers affordable fashion styles to teenage boys and girls in the United States. They have many great promotions running that change with time and keep customers excited to see what is next both on the online store as well as their retail locations. They have been in business for thirty-nine years and have learned how to keep their customers returning. They offer free shipping on any orders over fifty dollars and allow returns for up to thirty days after the original purchase was made. They do however have customer service issues. This can be improved though and customers will continue to love the products and style sold at Rue21. Because of the many positives, we recommend shopping from Rue21.

3.2

Damequa C

Very trendy, classy, casual clothing. Great prices when the items are on sale or clearance (reasonable prices). Wish they would have free shipping to store with no minimum, would love to see a rewards program (I shop here so much :)). Good quality clothing for women and men. They have a good upbeat environment in the stores, friendly and helpful staff

Upset Katy, TX

I ordered items offline. When I paid the items were in stock. Magically after an hour or so I get an email stating that the some of the items are no longer in stock that I ordered. However when I looked online the website shows the items Rue 21 removed are still in stock! Rue 21 claimed to only have one of the items I purchased in stock which was less than the amount of shipping! I called customer service to cancel the rest of the order or provide me with a solution to not charge me for $7.95 shipping. Noone wants to pay $7.95 for one $5.00 item! The lady on customer service was NOT helpful and pretended that she would send me an email to "investigate" my claim! I should have known something was strange when I called the local Rue 21 and asked if the items were the same price in store as they were online. The lady in-store informed me that the items cost regular price in store and they were not doing a red tag sale. The in-store lady informed me that the only way I could receive the discount was to purchase the items online for that price. I wish I had just said screw it and not ordered from here! Now my account is missing funds and I can't dispute the charge until it no longer says "pending"! I have been shopping Rue 21 in-store for years with no problems but I will NEVER again shop online because it is just a big massive scam! Protect your funds and shop in store!!! I can't upload a photo because the items are no longer in stock!

Linda Turner Normal, IL

The rue 21 store around my area was having difficulties with their machinery. One of the ladies that was working there had me put my card in twice because the machine wasn't working correctly for some reason. I then asked if it charged me twice and she had told me no. I later on check my money in my account and they had taken twice the amount they were supposed to take. I called them, trying to fix the situation and hopefully get my money back and they had said they couldn't help me and I would have to work it out with the bank. I personally think new machinery would be the best thing to get because I don't want anyone going through what I had gone through.

Breezy Cheesy Richmond, TX

Earlier this month I went to rue 21 and got some fuzzy black slides . I wore these slides for the first time today and I already see a hole in them that wasn’t there before .

Upset momma Saint Paul, MN

I finally found a store that carry a teenage style and the size that my 12yo son can wear. He needed some shorts for activity and I found his size at rue21. He wore the shorts 1 time. He went to dinner and went outside to play. He fell and the shorts shredded to pieces on the but, down the front, the zipper broke, the button came off. He was standing there with his underwear showing in front of others. At least he had a pair or basketball shorts to change into. Poor quality shorts. I wouldn’t recommend these shorts to anyone. This is why the only get 3 stars.

Nana Asiata Herriman, UT

The staff is very welcoming and kind to all that step into their doors. The quality of their clothes can last a long time and is a great place to go shopping for the school year.

Karen Torino Tallahassee, FL

I love Rue21. Their clothing is a little more of what is trendy nowadays, but they do it without making the clothing too weird or overdone. They have great prices on almost everything, and have a huge selection of shirts, tanks, hoodies, pants, and accessories to choose from.

Sierra Beck Herriman, UT

I bought a skirt off of the Rue21 website and the size I ordered ended up being too big for me. I contacted them through the website and shipped the skirt back and got one a size smaller delivered to me. The process was quick and efficient and I didn't have any problems with it. The skirt I have now fits just fine.

Fuck Google Houston, TX

Have clothes from here since 2012, still look brand new, best brands and pricing around. Clothing holds up for years, no fading.

Stephne Chatsworth, GA

I shop Rue all the time for my kids. I go there today and try and use a coupon. I dont know if the girl behind the counter dont know how to do her job or was just to lazy to. She was not friendly everytime I would find another coupon she made another excuse. Then her so called store manage which was worse than her wouldnt even turn around to answer her question. But if one of her friends walked up to the counter she was sure to look up and smile at them. Its fine if you dont want to take the web site coupons. But the promo deal they were running buy $50 and get a fragrance. Well lord the little girl didnt want to honor that. But at that point I was getting angry. She just looked and me and grabbed one. Point to all this is what is the point of coupons and promo codes to try and save money if they wont honor them. I am very disappointed in Rue 21 at Walnut Square Mall. Thats ok I went over to Aeropostale couple doors down and spent $300 The little girls in there brought me 20% coupons while I was shopping and showed me the clerance what they had. Know the girls from Rue 21 could take some pointers on how to treat customers their customer service skills were on point. Needless to say I will be shopping there instead of Rue 21.

Mary E Conway Buffalo, NY

I ordered 10 pairs of boots. They we're on sale for $5 each. Over a week later I got a email saying the cancelled my order for out of stock reasons. Was a lie, I could see they were still available online but for a higher price now. After back and forth, they said they had a issue with their system, so they just cancelled it to avoid inconvenience to them! They then told me to place the order again, pay the higher price, then after it ships, contact them and in 30 days I'll get the difference in money back! I'm still waiting on my original payment to be returned! Not a chance! They are a scam! Steer clear!!!

Kerri Tilson Stillwater, OK

Rue21.com are THIEVES! Ordered $380 worth of back to school clothes for my boys,even paid for over night shipping on 8/11/2018. Order never left the warehouse. Every time I tracked it,it was stuck at “label printed”. Found out on the 18th that Rue21.com cancelled my order on8/18/2018. I was promised a refund in 10 business days. Today is 9/6/2018 still no refund. Their CS center is in Guatemala, and they are rude and will lie to you quicker than a cat licks. Not only am I still waiting on MY money for their screw up, but the boys school clothing never came. Shame on you @rue21.com Rue21.com is the worst company to ever order from.

Tiffany Reidsville, NC

I bought merchandise online Going on more than 2 months . I never received my merchandise nor my money back when I have been contacting them for weeks now looking for my boxes . They tell me god says they were their NO MY MAIL WAS THEIR NO BIXES SUPPOSEDLY LFT BY THEM WERE THERE AND THEN IT SAYS ONLY 5 lbs delivered well 3 pair of shoes jeans and a shirt are certainly more than 5 lbs . I have shopped here for years and live on a mile long private drive no one can get on the rd with out a key so your gps shows them at my mail bo not my front porch . This is the worst service by the post office and especially rue 21 ever and if you look this is an issue rue 21 is known for not sending your package or returning your money . All the while claiming they did

sapna Eatontown, NJ

Had a worst experience with Rue 21. Had ordered 4 items online of which I did not get 1 item and among the other 3, two items were not which I ordered. So contacted customer care, who told me to return the wrong items and promised me refund for the missing item. But I did not get the refund for any, even after returning the wrong items. After several calls to customer care I somehow managed to get the refund for just 1 missing item. For the wrong items which I returned them, I never got refund. Every time I call customer care, they say they have issued a refund now, but of no use. I dont even know now, whom should I contact. Rue 21 PISSED me off. I swear never to buy any item from Rue21.

Terri

2 weeks and still have not received my order. After holding for customer service for 45 minutes I asked to cancel my order. I was told that I can't cancel because the order is in process and they are unable to expedite. Well duh, my order has been for 2 weeks. Asked for a supervisor and was told they are all in a meeting. The rep continued to tell me I can't cancel have to wait and return it to the store. The rep repeated the same call script several times before I got frustrated and disconnected the call. I have $150 tied up waiting for this order because they don't charge your card until they ship. Worst customer service ever. When I do finally receive my order, I will be taking it back. Won't support a company that refuses to help customers and does not hire US citizens for its online customer service.

cb Thibodaux, LA

I used to own Black (a cologne) and it smelled so good! The shirts are cheap and are great quality! Very nice trends and an amazing customer service experience makes Rue 21 a great place to shop!

take7 Sandy, UT

More appropriate clothing for when I was younger and probably single. I like to find sandals and slippers here and accessories. Sometimes find good tops and pants. The price is dirt cheap but not something I want to keep wearing over and over or keep in my wardrobe for long.

Destiny Wyche Tampa, FL

I love this place, the sales are amazing and the clothing is made of great material. They always have different styles and you are guaranteed to find something that fits your style.

Megan A McEvoy Tallahassee, FL

Rue21 is a great store to get a lot of clothing for a low price. Many of the shirts I bought from here have shrunken after being washed, however they still remain in good condition even though they are years old. This is a great store to buy clothing for parties, since the clothes are such a low price that it is okay if something damages them.

Paige Baldwin Wellsville, UT

Rue21 is pretty good place to shop. They have cheap prices, but the clothing is not great quality. So you definitely pay for what you get. They have good deals and sales usually and their customer service is always good. They’re not my first choice but I will still shop there on occasion.

Natalia Correa MDTribe Tallahassee, FL

Rue 21 is another one of those stores that you really have to dig for stuff just because they have so much. Granted their prices are always very good!

Jovana El Paso, TX

Whatever you do DO NOT SHOP ONLINE HERE!! I ordered 3 items recently and they had my order “processing” for more than a week. Then they send me an email telling me that they cancelled my order because the items were out of stock. If they were out of stock why did they take my order in the first place!?! I was depending on those items for Christmas gifts so I’m very upset. Shop at the store but never do online shopping here!!

Sabrina Milwaukee, WI

I ordered a belt online from Rue 21 and had the item shipped-to-store. I never picked up the order, but recieved an email that I did. I called the store and the manager told me that since I did not pick up the item, it was put back in to inventory. He informed me that the store does not handle refunds. I emailed Rue 21 customer service on October 21st about getting refunded for the belt that I never picked up and have heard nothing from them. I will not be shopping at Rue 21 until I get my refund.

Andrea Cibolo, TX

Their customer service and online ordering sucks. Dont waste your money. I ordered a package through their website, they sent two packages, with the same tracking number, one which was mine, the other not. The one that was delivered, was not mine. I went to the post office and because i needed the item I had to pay postage. The company when called, says they cannot help me. It is my problem. So, it's my fault that you sent me the wrong package? Again, dont waste your time or money.

Hayley Lambdin Orem, UT

This is a store that is very similar to Charlotte Russe and Forever 21. The clothes are very poor quality and do not last very long. The clothing is trying to be overly trendy for me. The music is also turned up way too high whenever I have had to go in their store.

Mandi Smith American Fork, UT

I absolutely hate that the Rue21 that is closest to my house got closed down... I always used to go there and get so many cute jeans. The jeans are the most comfortable and classy jeans I have ever worn.

Juliann Mecham Managua, MN

Rue21 has a TON of options. They have a wide variety from high quality clothing to stuff that won't last very long. I like their fashion, I just feel sometimes it is hard to find what you are looking for.

Angelina Hamilton Gulfport, MS

I love rue21, they always have trendy clothing and I really enjoy their selection, sometimes they dont have much clothing thats my style but I always go in just to see what I can find.

Erika Shumway Managua, MN

Rue 21 has some really cute, modern clothes. They have very good prices and are affordable. Considering that the prices are really low, the quality of the clothing isn't great.

Roberson Salt Lake City, UT

Rue21 provides a number of clothing brands suitable for younger teens and children. They other good prices for durable materials and designs. Staff is friend and ready to lend a helping and at any moment.

Desi Pleasant Grove, UT

Rue21 doesn't really have great quality in clothes and are pretty expensive for the quality. The clothes aren't that pleasing to look at. I bought these cheap quality sweaters for 30 bucks, and they were on "sale." I returned them later cause it wasn't something that I wanted to wear and it wasn't comfortable.

Haley Baldwin

Rue21 isn’t my first choice but I’ve shopped with them a few times. Their website is a little messy but their pricing is cheap. They ship at an average rate but you can usually find a sale with them.

Cade Boudreaux , FL

I like Rue 21 but it’s a little outdated. Are used to shop there in high school and even had cologne from there that I used but the prices went up in the quality went down and I was not satisfied.

D Cincinnati, OH

Ordered online and one shirt had a whole in it and the other shirt was missing the bottom part of one sleeve as if someone cut off. I haven't had a problem with my in store purchases. I will not order online again.

Quentin Langhamh Austin, TX

Bought a shirt online, buy one get one free. They refuse to honor the sale. Indian guy said I need to add extra shirt to cart, but when I did they wanted to charged me for two shirts. Out source call center not helpful. So I just paid full price for 1 shirt not on sale.

Shari Evers Lehi, UT

Prices at Rue are awesome, but lacks a little in quality. My kids also love the colognes which are also awesomely priced!

Robin A Marks North Ridgeville, OH

Customer Service is the absolute worst! I placed an order during a flash sale but needed to change a size, they couldn't do that so I canceled the order so I could place another one with the correct size, couldn't get the original sale price and customer service can't do anything about it. They could care less about their customers at all

Online Ordering SUCKy! Opelika, AL

Ordered online on 7/22/17 and I only received a confirmation with an order number. I contacted customer service today, 7/29/17 to find out my package was delivered to store yesterday! I did not receive any info pertaining to when it shipped, how it shipped, etc. I will never order online from them ever again! I'm just glad I called!

Nicky Minneapolis, MN

Customer service is slow at calling you back about situations that may arise in store. I have called 6 times for the same thing and the regional manager has not called me back yet. I guess it doesn't matter if I shop in their store or not.

Tyler Jenkins Jackson, MS

Rue 21 has helped me pick out a gift for my girlfriend almost every year since we’ve been together. They’re staff have always been super helpful!

Michelle Schow Saratoga Springs, UT

Rue21 has good prices on t shirts and some of the latest trending styles. I like to shop their deals and clearance items for ever more discount.

Audrey Mitchell Managua, MN

Rue21 is a good store of girl teenage clothing, however, over the years their clothing has dropped in quality. The material feels and looks more cheap

Erna E Valcin Tallahassee, FL

I loved going to this store during my high school career. Their clothes were very comfy to wear and cheap to afford. This was one of the staple places that I enjoyed.

Kaydence Bonino Riverton, UT

Rue 21 is great, i bought some selfie from there and they hold up pretty well, they did stretch to fit about any size of phone which is awesome!

Regina Lindon, UT

Their clearance section is huge, I could buy so many items for such a low price. The original prices aren't high as it is. AND I love their perfumes

Kristiane R Durfey Pleasant Grove, UT

I used to shop at Rue 21 and was able to find jeans we liked but their shirts and tops are pretty cheaply made. They don't cost a lot and they are trendy but they don't hold up after a few washings. They lose their shape and stretch out so they are not worth the price. Would rather spend a little more for a shirt that was a better quality.

Whitney Stanko Smithfield, UT

Cute store, cute clothing. Always have a good variety of clothes! Different sizes available! And not to expensive as well!

Emily Walker Provo, UT

Rue21 has some of my favorite perfumes. They don't come on sale very often but when they do I make sure I know about it.

H Moore Lehi, UT

My daughter loves the shirts at Rue21 because they have clever sayings, and they're at a price that we can afford more than one.

Ashley Pleasant Grove, UT

I like shopping at Rue21 because I can get a ton of clothes there for a cheap price that will last me all the way through my school year.