Macy's Logo

7.9

LAST UPDATED: September 10th, 2021
Macy’s is a very well known omnichannel retail store. Beginning in 1858 as a small, fancy dry goods store, the company has failed and restarted several times to ultimately become the successful business it is today. With over eight hundred and eighty five stores in forty-five states as well as several different countries, they have become a powerhouse in the retail business. They operate under the names Macy’s, Bloomingdale’s, Bloomingdale’s Outlet, and Bluemercury. They sell everything from clothing, to bed and bath items, as well as shoes, accessories, jewelry, and beauty products.

Nike Logo
#2 Nike chevron_right
Target Logo
#3 Target chevron_right

The Good

• Promotions and Sales
  • Great Return Policy
  • Large Variety of Merchandise
A company the size of Macy's has learned how to please their customers. They strive to be the best in the business and succeed in many ways.
  • High number of promotions
  • Great return policy
  • Large variety of merchandise for different clientele
  • Affordable pricing
The homepage for the Macy's department store website is filled with promotions. The page contains several options of promotions for all of the merchandise available. The site is decorated in coupons allowing customers to pick whatever promotions will fit their shopping needs best. Codes for ten to fifteen percent off are found throughout the website and can be used at checkout to a discount on the total purchase price of all items in a customers shopping cart. The return policy at Macy's is one of the best for online and in-store clothing retail stores. They do not have a limit as to when items can be returned but instead state that their goal is to keep their customers happy with all purchases. Customers can either return items through the mail or in a store location. The website provides links to begin the mail-in return process at home and any in-store return must only have a receipt in order to get the full payment back. Their website provides customers with a lot of information on specific return policy and procedure questions and has links to many helpful sites that can aide in making the entire process as easy as it can be for shoppers. Unlike many other clothing stores, Macy's does not limit their merchandise in any way. They provide clothing for women, men, teenagers, children, elderly, and infants. They do not limit their merchandise to only clothing; instead they have a large variety of products they sell. Macy's has everything a shopper could think of including home décor, furniture, clothing, shoes, accessories, beauty products and much more. Both the website and the store locations are filled with merchandise that can keep any customer browsing for hours. The merchandise volume at Macy's is so high that it is difficult to get an accurate estimate on pricing of the products. As mentioned before they have a large variety of items for sale and each category ranges in price. However, most items are reasonably priced. If the prices are ever too high, customers can again once look towards the many promotions and sales that are present both online and in stores themselves.

The Bad

• Shipping and Handling Fees
  • Expensive Merchandise
With a store the size of Macy's, not every policy and procedure can be a winner. The company does have some items of concern as far as pleasing customers goes.
  • Not exceptional shipping fees
  • Some high priced merchandise
The shipping and handling policy at Macy's, while it is not a terrible policy, is not the best compared to other stores in its same field. Macy's offers free shipping on orders ninety-nine dollars and up and its fees for shipping before that limit are higher than other stores with standard shipping. Prices for this category start at ten dollars per package. Both the shipping policy and the return procedure are outlined on the website and have many different links to different questions customers might have. If a customer does not see their specific scenario outlined in one of the links, the customer service department is readily available to help answer any questions shoppers might have. Macy's volume of merchandise can be a bit overwhelming to any customers first visiting the website or someone who is looking for a specific item. They do their best to break everything down on the website in order to narrow down searches but with a product database that large it is impossible to keep anything simple. Even though the majority of the merchandise at the Macy's department store and website are very reasonably priced, there are some categories that are higher-end material. These of course are higher priced than the rest of the merchandise.

The Bottom Line

Macy's is a very well known store that has a large number of items to sell to consumers. They have many stores worldwide and a great website to browse through their material. They are, for the most part, very reasonably priced and offer great discounts through their many promotions. They have an easy return policy that allows customers to return any items at any given time, and have products available for a lot of different clientele. Macy's has wonderful customer service department who is willing to help in any way they can to make every shopping experience the best it can be. They don't offer free shipping on any orders unless the total adds up to more than ninety-nine dollars excluding sales tax, and they have some categories of merchandise that are higher priced than some customers might like. Overall, Macy's is a store that shopper's can never go wrong with to make shopping the best experience it can be.

LeAnn Baytown, TX

I shop monthly using Macy’s website. I have a large foot, and I like that I’m able to filter on my size and get a good selection to choose from. I also have the shoes shipped to my local store, so I can try them on there and return anything that is needed.

Brittney Mac Gregor Louisville, KY

Whenever it is time to purchase a new handbag, I usually make a stop to Macy's. I also have shopped their for casual wear, formal wear, shoes, and occasionally housewares. I know that I can expect top quality from the store and am confident in the clothing I buy there. The only reason I have given 4 out of 5 stars is because a lot of times the Macy's near me has very poor customer service. Staff is uppity and rude, usually irritated when you ask for assistance. They defiantly need to improve on customer care.

Toni Montuori

Tried and trusted! MACY’S sells everything. I have purchased some of my best dining sets glassware appliances sheets and clothing from their stores as well as on line. Customer service, staff and store appearance are always a class act.

DealStar Salt Lake City, UT

Macy's has the selection and the brands that I lean toward, and I find myself shopping their site a couple of time each month, especially for their awesome sales. If I have any complaints, it's that quite often, I receive a coupon code for "extra savings" because I am a credit card customer, but often the coupons don't apply to whatever I add to my cart. It's fine. And I still highly recommend Macy's.

Nyla C. Edison, NJ

I love Macy's, it has been the clothing brand in my family for years now. When it came to finding homecoming and prom dresses, Macy's always had a great selection and the prices were more than affordable. Macy's is a well known and easy access place to shop, so I will always come back.

Qlink Loser Red Wing, MN

I love the children clothes at Macy's online. They have a great variety of every size. Baby to teen. But, after shopping for hours. Kinda like window shopping I go to other departments. Of course I enjoy! When it comes to check out-poof the size, color or clothing is sold out! How does this happen so often? So frustrating that they have lost my business!

Makayla Holland Gaithersburg, MD

My experience with Macy was fantastic. They have make up from different brands, clothing, accessories , and every time i have mad a purchase they quality was amazing. There were never any rips,everything lasted long. I recommend buying from them

Andrea Wheaton, IL

I love Macy's selection and quality. I wear plus size clothes and they always have great options! They also have incredible sales and I often wonder how they can afford to sell at such low prices. Keep an eye out for the deep discounts they run, it is worth it! Their furniture quality is also the best we have found so far.

Adrienne Jackson Florissant, MO

This is my go to website for home and apparel they have just about everything I need as well as good quality. The sales are always amazing and the free gifts from time to time. If you ever have a issue their customer service is always remarkable

Vicki Clearwater, FL

I order lots of things from Macy’s and I love it. I get delivery updates. Returns are a breeze. So easy to order, they even recommend my best fit in different items!

Mary Lee Chicago, IL

I am a long time customer of macys.i have no complaints I hav e always had a pleasant experience shopping at macys their customer service is steller, their mantra sms to me to be lets make this right.

Caloway Salt Lake City, UT

Macy's has decent clothes but everything there is super expensive as well so I limit my shopping there. Mostly I will only buy underwear there but on the rare occasion I will find something that is nice. The staff are hard to find and the stores are normally big so finding someone is harder than it should be. They do have lots of polo shirts there, so if you're looking for those, go to Macy's.

Mason Allen Pleasant Grove, UT

Every time I go into Macy's I am disappointed. There have been multiple times where I am looking for something specific and online it says it is available at the store and then it actually isn't or I go to look at an item and it looks much cheaper in person than online. Registers are also left empty very often, making it difficult to actually buy things.

Steve Ashby Portland, OR

Macy's is our biggest department store in the Portland OR area and we go there a lot for clothing and sometimes bed and kitchen. Their Black Friday sales are not to be missed! I really like them for dress clothes including dress shirts, ties, and suits. Shopping their clothing sales makes for some good deals!

Benjamin LeBlanc Dallas, TX

I don’t think I could be happier with the services provided by Macy’s. One of my favorite things about the products we provide at their stores and website is that their products range in a white variety of prices so it’s more accessible for almost all customers. Not to mention quality of all the concert provided from perfumes to clothing for both genders.

Jean Pleimann Hollywood, FL

Always running specials, if you wait, whatever you need, it will be reduced in price. Great quality of merchandise and great costumer service.

Sicely Lyn Russell Show Low, AZ

I'm gonna be honest I get lost every-time I go into a Macy's store. It's hard to find clothes because I don't know where I'm at. I went thee to look fro a formal dress and there were a lot of great options!

Brandy Tallahassee, FL

The clothing that I purchased from Macys was amazing! The quality was amazing, and it fit great! I purchased some winter coats since the wintertime is coming up and the jacket was very warm, 10/10, would recommend,

AF ,

I've purchased clothes several times from Macy's. I like using the website because they'll often have promo codes or coupons to get a better deal. I just don't like paying for shipping and the nearest Macy's isn't very close.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Macy's is great in malls, but even better online. They carry so much variety that you cannot exhaust the inventory. Shopping on their website is great as they detail a lot of information, making clothing selections easy to do. Prices are competitive and often can use discounts. They are the best online and I will keep shopping there.

Raul Diaz

Excellent!! What I save now, from those unwanted, madmaking, unforgettable fees and taxes from Sprint, I can use the money on clothing!!! Macy's has REAL Good Deals, you just have to join their email club, watch out for has dropping sales, and use coupons on Sunday paper!! Especially on Friends and Family Day, you get 30% off usually!!!

Linda Gause

I like the clothes they are of a good quality and for the most part they have good products in all their depts the customer service is good most of the time and anytime that I have had problems it was settled to my satifaction.

Nishita McLean, VA

Every time I want to buy really good quality clothes for important events for myself or my sister I always rely on Macy's. I don't mind spending a few dollars more, but I want the best and I know I will find it at Macy's, My mom purchased 2 Michael Kors handbags from there only a few months back. Few of her most prized possessions.

Brodie Mitchell Salt Lake City, UT

I shopped the Murray, Utah location. I rate them at a three simply for the fact what I was looking for all day was in fact there. However the CSR was very short and rude. I guess I did not excactly fit into her idea of a good customer. I was at the end of my work day and in work attire, while I am not a wealthy person by any means or stretch of imagination, I do work for a living and can afford at times things at your store. I had spent the entire day looking for a specific sandle for my lady. Sure enough after a long hard battle your store had what I was looking for. I expressed my gratitude to your employee, as I was excited the hunt was over. She could not of cared less and thats ok. The fact I found the sandle myself after searching for awhile with no assistance, then after watching them watch me, had to approach the cashiers desk and ask if they could find the size I needed! That is when I took offense. At the end of the day I found what I was looking for, and though my experience at your store was very disappointing the gratitude at home for finding our treasure that day was my reward.

Patrick Orem, UT

I actually purchased my church clothes here recently. It was a neat store. Customer service was great. I found what I wanted right away. That is one thing I hate about some stores is trying to find what you want but I found what I was looking for right away. Great store.

Cassidy Gundersen Orem, UT

I just got back from Macys! I love Macy’s.. Especially their sales! They have a lot of really great options for everyone in the family. And their clothes are high quality. We have bought a lot of stuff from Macy’s and have no complaints. They are really good with returns and their customer service has always been amazing!

Nichole Davidson Sandy, UT

I've always enjoyed Macy's and even have a Macy's card (usually not my thing). They have good brands with a wide selection. I can find what I need from cheap/generic to higher quality products. Their holiday specials and prices are really great - I'm finding good quality products for less. They are often having sales all throughout the year. I don't like their website or app at all - feels like a I walked into a corporate facility built in the late 1990's. Not aesthetically appealing at all.

Connie Mayer South Jordan, UT

Macy's has it all. They even have good sales. Their ladies wear is good, and it is very current in trends. Things get picked over a lot, so I would recommend they keep up on their inventory, but overall I love shopping at Macy's.

Linda Jensen Newberg, OR

I've been a Macy's customer for many years. I love Macy's for the most part. I usually find good deals and their products are good. I would give them 5 stars if I could use my coupons on all items they sale. That drives my a little crazy. But I love the "Thanks For Sharing" program. Also, they are really good about returns. The sale people are always kind and nice, but half the time I have to find them.

Hyrum Sandy, UT

They have a great selection. I've shopped there many times over the years for business formal and casual attire. Sales people are always very helpful. During my most recent visit, I had excellent assistance from Anthony. He helped me pick out two sports jackets.

KLF Fort Worth, TX

I enjoy shopping Macy’s online and in store. They run good sales and offer good coupons and rewards.

Jayla Thomas Jacksonville, FL

I have personally never shopped at a physical Macy’s, but their online customer service is very thorough! I’ve never had an issue that wasn’t quickly resolved.

Pekeiydra Williams Tallahassee, FL

I’ve been shopping at Macy’s for years now and I can always count on them to sell quality items. I brought my mom a pair of boots a couple of years ago and they still looks great, thanks for good quality.

Christopher Whiting Los Angeles, CA

I can always get Nike gear for my kids for such a good deal. Also you can get free shipping a lot of the time, that is amazing when you do not have time to get to a store.

Jennifer Donnelly Tallahassee, FL

I always like going to Macys because they always have some sort of sale going on. There are so many fashion brands you can find at Macys for cheaper prices. I just bought a cute tan bag from here and I love it.

Auditi Gilbert, AZ

This is my go to place to shop for my mother. There are so many different companies they carry so it is a great place to go gift shopping at. Their costumer service has always been nice in my experiences. Make sure you look out for coupons and sales because they often hold amazing deals.

Shari Evers Lehi, UT

Just went looking for prom dresses and found ourselves in the women’s department thinking that was the only fancy dress area in the store. It wasn’t until we were ready to purchase that an employee finally told us about a juniors fancy dress section. A little bummed they weren’t helpful sooner!

Alicia Holman Gilbert, AZ

I used to love going to Macy's but now it's so jammed pack full of stuff that it feels like a Target, but the prices are more expensive. The employees don't seem all that concerned with fashion and are so busy trying to get the store cleaned up that they can't really help. The quality has gone way down as well and they are carrying less and less higher end clothes lines.

Hannah Pleasant Grove, UT

I really like Macy's. It's pricier, but I feel like I can always find something I'm in love with. I also have had nothing but positive experiences with customer service. I prefer it over its competitor, JCPenney.

Abbey Richards American Fork, UT

I like to get dresses here because they have a good selection of clothing that is more formal. I get dresses for weddings or fancier occasions there, but I also get things like makeup and shoes. It is one of my favorite department stores to stop at. It is a little more expensive, but it is higher quality.

Katelyn Empey Logan, UT

They always have sales or coupons. I can always find something to buy. Not all storefront's are well kept. But the ones that are taken care of, are really nice. The customer service is really helpful and they are willing to work with their customers.

Christopher Haueter Salt Lake City, UT

Macy's is a good "go to" store when you need to just grab a collard shirt or a pair of pants but in all honesty, they are behind the times. In my opinion, Macy's has been the same thing sing I was a little kid and hasn't changed in style, pricing, variety, etc. There are just better places to go now unfortunately. Customer service is usually pretty good though and they have a great rewards program that I'm sure saved my mother a lot of money for the 25+ years that she was a member.

Kari Staheli

I love Macy's! I do alot of online shopping and Macy's is one of my favorite stores. They have nice quality items and their return policy is AWESOME. Once I ordered a men's suit for my son and the pants never arrived with the blazer. i called customer service and they quickly resent the pants, no questions or problems.

Julia UP Southbury, CT

Most stuff is overpriced even on sale, poor selection online a little better

Karen Torino Tallahassee, FL

Macy's was the perfect place to be at when I needed clothing for a snowy vacation. They had a lovely selection of jackets and many deals going on throughout the store. The backstage section also offers great clothing that is normally regularly priced at great discount. Macy's has clothing for any occasion.

Trey Farner Norcross, GA

Macy’s has some of the best selection for casual dress wear. Like something I would wear to church. It is always easy for me to walk in, find what I’m looking for and walk out. The setup of the store is so nice. The overall shopping experience is a breeze.

Sarah Marfo Tallahassee, FL

Macy always has hidden deals. If you’re a college student please take time to look at their professional wear. I was able to get 3 pair of shoes and 3 outfits under $100. And all were professional wear that could be used for conferences and interviews.

Haley Baldwin

I ordered a prom dress from Maceys online. I was very nervous about it but it came quickly and it was perfect! The quality of the dress was awesome. Finding it online was very easy and the customer service was great as I talked with them on what size I should purchase.

Christine Farmer Littleton, CO

My experience ordering from Macys online has been positive. I do prefer to see clothes in person but I've often found the size or color I need online and not in the store. It has also been useful to have my young adult daughters browse online and let me know what they like, for example we found a coat that way for a Christmas gift. I like the option of being able to pick up at a store to save on shipping. Deliveries have always been accurate and timely.

Mia Hernandez Tempe, AZ

this is a great place to go when you looking for nice gifts for the family they have so much here and its really good quality ill be honest i dont shop here to often due to most of there items being a tad expensive but you do catch a good deal here every so often so definitely worth a look if you havent already been shopping here