Macy's

7.3

Macy’s is a very well known omnichannel retail store. Beginning in 1858 as a small, fancy dry goods store, the company has failed and restarted several times to ultimately become the successful business it is today. With over eight hundred and eighty five stores in forty-five states as well as several different countries, they have become a powerhouse in the retail business. They operate under the names Macy’s, Bloomingdale’s, Bloomingdale’s Outlet, and Bluemercury. They sell everything from clothing, to bed and bath items, as well as shoes, accessories, jewelry, and beauty products.

The Good

• Promotions and Sales
  • Great Return Policy
  • Large Variety of Merchandise

A company the size of Macy's has learned how to please their customers. They strive to be the best in the business and succeed in many ways.

• High number of promotions
  • Great return policy
  • Large variety of merchandise for different clientele
  • Affordable pricing

The homepage for the Macy's department store website is filled with promotions. The page contains several options of promotions for all of the merchandise available. The site is decorated in coupons allowing customers to pick whatever promotions will fit their shopping needs best. Codes for ten to fifteen percent off are found throughout the website and can be used at checkout to a discount on the total purchase price of all items in a customers shopping cart.

The return policy at Macy's is one of the best for online and in-store clothing retail stores. They do not have a limit as to when items can be returned but instead state that their goal is to keep their customers happy with all purchases. Customers can either return items through the mail or in a store location. The website provides links to begin the mail-in return process at home and any in-store return must only have a receipt in order to get the full payment back. Their website provides customers with a lot of information on specific return policy and procedure questions and has links to many helpful sites that can aide in making the entire process as easy as it can be for shoppers.

Unlike many other clothing stores, Macy's does not limit their merchandise in any way. They provide clothing for women, men, teenagers, children, elderly, and infants. They do not limit their merchandise to only clothing; instead they have a large variety of products they sell. Macy's has everything a shopper could think of including home décor, furniture, clothing, shoes, accessories, beauty products and much more. Both the website and the store locations are filled with merchandise that can keep any customer browsing for hours.

The merchandise volume at Macy's is so high that it is difficult to get an accurate estimate on pricing of the products. As mentioned before they have a large variety of items for sale and each category ranges in price. However, most items are reasonably priced. If the prices are ever too high, customers can again once look towards the many promotions and sales that are present both online and in stores themselves.

The Bad

• Shipping and Handling Fees
  • Expensive Merchandise

With a store the size of Macy's, not every policy and procedure can be a winner. The company does have some items of concern as far as pleasing customers goes.

• Not exceptional shipping fees
  • Some high priced merchandise

The shipping and handling policy at Macy's, while it is not a terrible policy, is not the best compared to other stores in its same field. Macy's offers free shipping on orders ninety-nine dollars and up and its fees for shipping before that limit are higher than other stores with standard shipping. Prices for this category start at ten dollars per package. Both the shipping policy and the return procedure are outlined on the website and have many different links to different questions customers might have. If a customer does not see their specific scenario outlined in one of the links, the customer service department is readily available to help answer any questions shoppers might have.

Macy's volume of merchandise can be a bit overwhelming to any customers first visiting the website or someone who is looking for a specific item. They do their best to break everything down on the website in order to narrow down searches but with a product database that large it is impossible to keep anything simple. Even though the majority of the merchandise at the Macy's department store and website are very reasonably priced, there are some categories that are higher-end material. These of course are higher priced than the rest of the merchandise.

The Bottom Line

Macy's is a very well known store that has a large number of items to sell to consumers. They have many stores worldwide and a great website to browse through their material. They are, for the most part, very reasonably priced and offer great discounts through their many promotions. They have an easy return policy that allows customers to return any items at any given time, and have products available for a lot of different clientele. Macy's has wonderful customer service department who is willing to help in any way they can to make every shopping experience the best it can be. They don't offer free shipping on any orders unless the total adds up to more than ninety-nine dollars excluding sales tax, and they have some categories of merchandise that are higher priced than some customers might like. Overall, Macy's is a store that shopper's can never go wrong with to make shopping the best experience it can be.

3.6

November 8th, 2017 DETAILS

Although I like Macy's and the merchandise they carry, their coupons are beyond frustrating. There is always a reason why they cannot be used with your purchase.

November 7th, 2017 Orem, UT DETAILS

Macy's is a wonderful store. I love how many sales you are able to hit on a regular basis. They have great makeup selections and shoes as well.

November 6th, 2017 American Fork, UT DETAILS

I like to get dresses here because they have a good selection of clothing that is more formal. I get dresses for weddings or fancier occasions there, but I also get things like makeup and shoes. It is one of my favorite department stores to stop at. It is a little more expensive, but it is higher quality.

November 5th, 2017 Kaysville, UT DETAILS

Large selection when looking for gifts. Good customer service.

November 5th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

I always go to Macy’s for shoes and perfume. They have great customer service!

November 5th, 2017 Victor, ID DETAILS

I was able to return my shirt I bought with no problems. The lady at the counter was kind and very entertaining.

November 3rd, 2017 Sandy, UT DETAILS

I've always enjoyed Macy's and even have a Macy's card (usually not my thing). They have good brands with a wide selection. I can find what I need from cheap/generic to higher quality products. Their holiday specials and prices are really great - I'm finding good quality products for less. They are often having sales all throughout the year. I don't like their website or app at all - feels like a I walked into a corporate facility built in the late 1990's. Not aesthetically appealing at all.

November 3rd, 2017 American Fork, UT DETAILS

Good brand names and sales on the weekdays.

November 2nd, 2017 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

very good mens department. I enjoy their sales

November 2nd, 2017 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

Macy's has it all. They even have good sales. Their ladies wear is good, and it is very current in trends. Things get picked over a lot, so I would recommend they keep up on their inventory, but overall I love shopping at Macy's.

November 2nd, 2017 Reno, NV DETAILS

I have always shopped at Macy's for shoes and suits. They have great dress clothes and a nice selection of brands.

October 30th, 2017 Newberg, OR DETAILS

I've been a Macy's customer for many years. I love Macy's for the most part. I usually find good deals and their products are good. I would give them 5 stars if I could use my coupons on all items they sale. That drives my a little crazy. But I love the "Thanks For Sharing" program. Also, they are really good about returns. The sale people are always kind and nice, but half the time I have to find them.

October 30th, 2017 Centerville, UT DETAILS

Last winter I found the coolest Star Wars sweatshirt at Macy's and it's one of my favorite things to wear. I'm really hoping that they have some more Star Wars stuff this year because they're definitely worth getting.

October 30th, 2017 Lehi, UT DETAILS

I purchased a few items from Macy last year leading up to Christmas. Although the pricing was great, I was sent the wrong products. My guess is they aren't very organized in the warehouse.

October 29th, 2017 Logan, UT DETAILS

They always have sales or coupons. I can always find something to buy. Not all storefront's are well kept. But the ones that are taken care of, are really nice. The customer service is really helpful and they are willing to work with their customers.

October 29th, 2017 Chicago, IL DETAILS

Well I have finally made peace with shopping at Macy's State Street Chicago! I had a terrible encounter with an employee on Sunday. In fact it was so bad, that several shoppers came and gave me their names and numbers in case I needed witnesses for when Macy's managers would deal with the situation. Well, unbeknownst to those fellow shoppers, we could not get a manager to help us! No manager would come out. After 45 minutes we lefts. I went in on Monday and spoke to manager on that floor, who did not apologize and seemed totally uninterested in my situation. Totally unsatisfied with her response, I reached out to the store manage Kim Groth several times but never received a response. So, I will continue to shop at Macy State Street Chicago but I can do that with no expectations now that I know what kind of management they have from the top down! In a positive note about Macy’s based on this negative of Macy’s State Street Chicago. I have been shopping at Macy’s Herald Square, Macy’s Queens, Macy’s S.F and Macy’s Downtown Boston for over 25 years and their store managers and manager were and remain excellent. If ever I had an issue, which was never at the level I had at State Street Chicago, the management always helped and did everything to keep me as a customer. Keeping customers at State Street Chicago is not Kim Groth and her team’s priority!

October 26th, 2017 Provo, UT DETAILS

I have enjoyed the ability to return online items in the store for free. They have great sales and nice options for Plus-Sized women as well as everyone else!

October 26th, 2017 Sandy, UT DETAILS

They have a great selection. I've shopped there many times over the years for business formal and casual attire. Sales people are always very helpful. During my most recent visit, I had excellent assistance from Anthony. He helped me pick out two sports jackets.

June 13th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

Macy's has some good brand names and the quality of their clothing is good as well. Their prices can be high if you are buying a brand name. Also, they have really good home decor and workout clothing.

June 13th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

Macy's never fails when looking for very specific things. I have gotten some great suits and formal clothing from Macy's. However, their prices can be high. The best time to use Macy's is when thier is a sale or a special deal.

June 12th, 2017

Macy's sells good quality clothing. Delivery is prompt for online orders, and the store's return policy makes returning unwanted items easy.

June 1st, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

Macy's is a good "go to" store when you need to just grab a collard shirt or a pair of pants but in all honesty, they are behind the times. In my opinion, Macy's has been the same thing sing I was a little kid and hasn't changed in style, pricing, variety, etc. There are just better places to go now unfortunately. Customer service is usually pretty good though and they have a great rewards program that I'm sure saved my mother a lot of money for the 25+ years that she was a member.

May 31st, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

Macy's has great sales and customer service. Some of their products are a little over my price range unless they are on sale.

May 31st, 2017 Draper, UT

I like Macy's. They have a good selection of clothing, from casual to formal, so I can pick up everything I need in one stop. Prices tend to be on the more expensive side though.

May 26th, 2017

I love Macy's! I do alot of online shopping and Macy's is one of my favorite stores. They have nice quality items and their return policy is AWESOME. Once I ordered a men's suit for my son and the pants never arrived with the blazer. i called customer service and they quickly resent the pants, no questions or problems.

May 26th, 2017

Easy to locate clothes, not so easy to locate an employee to work the cash register.

February 6th, 2016 Framingham, MA

IN-STORE: Their associates are mostly tired and not pleasant senior persons (you will never see any young associate working at Macy's). You always need to look for them in store if you need to check out, and when you finally get them, they are EXTREMELY SLOW (they call it "the attention to the customer"). ONLINE: 1. Do not trust their reviews and ratings: I personally tried to write a couple of reviews, but it was never published (without any explanation). And (of cause!) their customer service has never replied to my inquires about that. 2. Manipulative pricing: they will spam your mailbox everyday with "sale" and "further reduction", but the actual price will always remain same (they adding % to sale, but increasing the base price, and vice versa). And what's more, the online prices are always higher then for the same item in-store. 3. Item description is non-informative (=useless)