Kohl's

Kohl's, in terms of revenue, is the second largest retailer in the United States. They have been in business since 1962 and were taken public in 1992. One thing easy to like about them is their reputation.

Rated in the Fortune 500, Kohl's is currently the #146 ranked store. They surpassed competing clothing giant JCPenney for the first time in 2013 in terms of sales.

Kohl's has over 1100 stores in the United States and has recently renovated around 100 of them, with more plans to expand the size and numbers in coming years. We found a pretty even split between mall-based stores and urban store locations. This is a sign that Kohl's is doing well in reaching many different types of customers across the country.

Rank Chart Our Score User Score
#1 7.3 3.2 Read Review
#2 6.2 1.5 Read Review
#3 5.4 3.9 Read Review
#6 4.9 6.9 Current

The Good

• Low prices for big brand items
  • Kohl's has 55 years of experience
  • Unlimited time to make returns

Kohl's has developed a large customer base for reasons including but not limited to:

Low Prices for Big Brand Items

Saving money when shopping at Kohl's is simple. Kohl's consistently run multiple promotions throughout their site, helping you as a shopper save as much money as possible. They have fashioned their online store with the same discount/money-saving model they use in their physical stores that has driven retail sales for years.  There is a good amount of content duplication between the online store and physical stores. There are also many unique products in the online store that are not necessarily available elsewhere. Not only are there consistently many items of clothing for sale, many of the items are from top brands in the industry. Kohl's has a great blend of top brands mixed with their exclusive brands to provide their customers with stylish and affordable options.

Kohl's has 55 Years of Experience

Kohl's has built itself up to become one of the strongest clothing retailer brands in the United States. While this brand growth hasn't occurred over night, it has occurred and is evidence of their large and supportive customer base. Being in business for 55 years has evidently taught them how to both describe and implement their various policies, helping make their shopping experience one highlighted by transparency and ultimately satisfaction from their customers.

Unlimited Time to Make Returns

One of Kohl's most popular policies involve the way they handle returns.  Truly a no-hassle/no questions asked policy, customers are given an infinite amount of days to return items of clothing. With no questions needing to be asked, no receipt is required in order to complete a return. Charges can be credited back within 12 months of the actual transaction date. If a return needs to be made outside of those 12 months, customers can be given in-store credit or a corporate-issued refund. Customers love this policy as it makes getting items returned fast and easy. As you can imagine, most of the time customers are pretty happy when they return an item to Kohl's.

The Bad

• No free shipping offered

While Kohl's online store excels in many ways, there is one area they fall short in when compared to other top clothing store competitors:

No Free Shipping Offered

While Kohl's shipping rates are competitive, there is no free shipping offered at this time per a policy. For example, many other online clothing stores offer free shipping on all orders that exceed a certain amount of money. Although their is not a policy in place for free shipping, gift cards are typically sent out for free shipping when orders are over $75. Minus the fact that they do not offer a free shipping option, their rates for freight are competitive with the rest of the industry. They use a tiered system, meaning your shipping costs fluctuate based off your total amount of clothing merchandise being purchased. The two primary methods of shipment are Standard Ground and Priority Air. As was already stated prices vary, however it is reasonable to expect paying between $6 and $25 for standard ground and $16 and $60 for Priority Air. Standard Ground takes between 3 to 6 business days and Priority Mail takes between 2 to 3 business day. Not having any type of free shipping policy is unfortunate, but as you can see their shipping rates and time frames are reasonable when shopping for clothes online.

The Bottom Line

Kohl's is one of the best online clothing retailers in the industry, especially when searching for affordable low-end clothing. They do a good job at reaching more consumers and have a good handle on the online paradigm. It is easy to like the interchangeability and sharing of items between the online site and the physical stores around the country. The return process is very easy if you purchase an online item because you can easily return the item to any store, with or without a packing slip. Due to their low prices for big brand items, 53 years of experience, and fantastic return policy we recommend shopping with them online.

11 Kohl's Reviews

1. Select Your Rating:

2. Subject For This Review * (Select all that apply)

0 characters

3. Review Validation*

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Next Step: Verify your email

We have sent a verification email to the following email address:

June 13th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

Every time I go to Kohls I feel like I am shopping in the old people's store. Their style are out of date and quality of the clothing is not the greatest. However, their home and kitchen things are really nice and of great quality.

June 10th, 2017 Draper, UT

Kohl's sends out coupons fairly often, which is awesome. But when store product is not on sale, it is often very overpriced for the quality in my opinion.

June 9th, 2017

Kohl's is the place to go for affordable and high quality products. When I was preparing to serve a two year religious mission, I had to purchase two suits that would last throughout my mission service. I was struggling to find high quality suits that could weather the storm for two year's that fit into my budget. While searching the local dress wear stores around town, I realized that I wasn't gonna be able to purchase two suits within my budget. This lead me to search online for suits and happened upon the Kohl's website. I started looking at their product and liked what I saw. I later headed the local Kohl's store and found two high quality suits for the same price as just one at the local dress wear stores. Needless to say, the suit's lasted the two year's and some. If you're looking for a high quality product for a low price, Kohl's is the place to go.

June 5th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

Kohls is great for quick back to school shopping when you can't find anything else in any other store. They are pretty good with having a variety of brand names. There clothes are reasonable!

May 31st, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

Kohl's definitely has the best sales on their merchandise. I bought 9 suits at Christmas time for under $900 and also got Kohl's cash. The suits were delivered in time for Christmas giving. I bought a comforter set and a vacuum with my Kohl's cash.

May 31st, 2017 Draper, UT

Kohl's seems to always be having sales, which is awesome. I really like their Kohl's Cash too. I feel like I save a lot of money whenever I shop here. The clothes that they sell are nice, but nothing too fancy.

May 31st, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I like Kohl's! Definitely not the most stylish, but great quality. I love the deals they run and the Kohl's cash.

May 31st, 2017 Orem, UT

I wish Kohl's offered free shipping on any order, but there are a ton of promos the store runs, so you can always save money. A $300 order for my wife and I was $102 - can't be mad when you save money like that. Also, I've never had an order take more than 5-6 days to arrive.

May 29th, 2017

Kohls is great because there's always some type of deal or discount that can save you lots of money. However it doesn't offer free shipping which is the downside, but it does allow free returns and shipping after a certain amount is spent. Super cute clothes and good quality.

May 26th, 2017

I shop at Kohls both online and in the store. I am a Kohls credit card holder so I can get the extra 15%-30% off they send me about every month. I save a lot at the store by using that and the Kohls cash I earn. Returns are easy. Quality of item is not alway great after a wash, but probably worth what I paid for them.

May 26th, 2017

In store experience hasn't been the best, and the online experience has been bad. I stopped shopping here after about a year of bad experiences with zero good ones.