Kohl's

6.5

Kohl's, in terms of revenue, is the second largest retailer in the United States. They have been in business since 1962 and were taken public in 1992. One thing easy to like about them is their reputation.

Rated in the Fortune 500, Kohl's is currently the #146 ranked store. They surpassed competing clothing giant JCPenney for the first time in 2013 in terms of sales.

Kohl's has over 1100 stores in the United States and has recently renovated around 100 of them, with more plans to expand the size and numbers in coming years. We found a pretty even split between mall-based stores and urban store locations. This is a sign that Kohl's is doing well in reaching many different types of customers across the country.

#1 Macy's Logo Macy's ›

7.9

Overall
Score

#2 JCPenney Logo JCPenney ›

7.8

Overall
Score

#3 H&M Logo H&M ›

7.6

Overall
Score

#6 Kohl's Logo Kohl's

6.5

Overall
Score

The Good

• Low prices for big brand items
  • Kohl's has 55 years of experience
  • Unlimited time to make returns

Kohl's has developed a large customer base for reasons including but not limited to:

Low Prices for Big Brand Items

Saving money when shopping at Kohl's is simple. Kohl's consistently run multiple promotions throughout their site, helping you as a shopper save as much money as possible. They have fashioned their online store with the same discount/money-saving model they use in their physical stores that has driven retail sales for years.  There is a good amount of content duplication between the online store and physical stores. There are also many unique products in the online store that are not necessarily available elsewhere. Not only are there consistently many items of clothing for sale, many of the items are from top brands in the industry. Kohl's has a great blend of top brands mixed with their exclusive brands to provide their customers with stylish and affordable options.

Kohl's has 55 Years of Experience

Kohl's has built itself up to become one of the strongest clothing retailer brands in the United States. While this brand growth hasn't occurred over night, it has occurred and is evidence of their large and supportive customer base. Being in business for 55 years has evidently taught them how to both describe and implement their various policies, helping make their shopping experience one highlighted by transparency and ultimately satisfaction from their customers.

Unlimited Time to Make Returns

One of Kohl's most popular policies involve the way they handle returns.  Truly a no-hassle/no questions asked policy, customers are given an infinite amount of days to return items of clothing. With no questions needing to be asked, no receipt is required in order to complete a return. Charges can be credited back within 12 months of the actual transaction date. If a return needs to be made outside of those 12 months, customers can be given in-store credit or a corporate-issued refund. Customers love this policy as it makes getting items returned fast and easy. As you can imagine, most of the time customers are pretty happy when they return an item to Kohl's.

The Bad

• No free shipping offered

While Kohl's online store excels in many ways, there is one area they fall short in when compared to other top clothing store competitors:

No Free Shipping Offered

While Kohl's shipping rates are competitive, there is no free shipping offered at this time per a policy. For example, many other online clothing stores offer free shipping on all orders that exceed a certain amount of money. Although their is not a policy in place for free shipping, gift cards are typically sent out for free shipping when orders are over $75. Minus the fact that they do not offer a free shipping option, their rates for freight are competitive with the rest of the industry. They use a tiered system, meaning your shipping costs fluctuate based off your total amount of clothing merchandise being purchased. The two primary methods of shipment are Standard Ground and Priority Air. As was already stated prices vary, however it is reasonable to expect paying between $6 and $25 for standard ground and $16 and $60 for Priority Air. Standard Ground takes between 3 to 6 business days and Priority Mail takes between 2 to 3 business day. Not having any type of free shipping policy is unfortunate, but as you can see their shipping rates and time frames are reasonable when shopping for clothes online.

The Bottom Line

Kohl's is one of the best online clothing retailers in the industry, especially when searching for affordable low-end clothing. They do a good job at reaching more consumers and have a good handle on the online paradigm. It is easy to like the interchangeability and sharing of items between the online site and the physical stores around the country. The return process is very easy if you purchase an online item because you can easily return the item to any store, with or without a packing slip. Due to their low prices for big brand items, 53 years of experience, and fantastic return policy we recommend shopping with them online.

3.9

Tiffany

December 19th, 2017 Phoenix, AZ DETAILS

The quality of the clothes at Kohl's is wonderful. They also regularly have great sales and promotions on their merchandise. I always feel like I am getting a great deal when I shop here. The staff is helpful and friendly. The stores are clean and organized. I love the variety of merchandise they have. I have been happy with all of my purchases from here.

Tara Beckert

December 19th, 2017 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS

You can find just about anything at Kohl's. I've purchased clothing and shoes from Kohl's and have been very pleased with the quality of items purchased.

Suzanna Wootton

December 18th, 2017 Springville, UT DETAILS

Good clothes for a great price. Just wish it was easier to find what I wanted.

William

December 13th, 2017 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

I love this store! I swear every time I go there whatever I buy is always less than what the sticker says. Great value.

Hannah

December 12th, 2017 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

In the small town where I grew up, the ONLY clothing store nearby was a Kohl's. I got started young. :) I seriously feel like they are the unsung hero of clothing stores. They have really cute stuff if you're ready to look around a bit, and they almost always have a sale going on, along with Kohl's-Cash coupons and other sweet side deals.

Megan Rigby

December 12th, 2017 DETAILS

I Enjoy shopping at Kohls. Prices are always reasonable and clothing is of great quality. Customer service is always quick, efficient and easy to converse with if necessary.

Valerie Gundersen

December 12th, 2017 American Fork, UT DETAILS

I love Kohl's return policy! They make it very easy to return an item that doesn't work!

Sherry Wootton

December 12th, 2017 Ogden, UT DETAILS

Love the sales, love the prices, great customer service.

Lindsey

December 10th, 2017 American Fork, UT DETAILS

I'm a big fan of Kohl's online. They have a wonderful return policy and since I'm an online clothing shopper, I like their website and the ability to see which stores certain clothing is at.

Danielle

November 29th, 2017 Syracuse, UT DETAILS

Great prices! They always make you feel like youre getting a wonderful deal! Good quality clothing too.

Jameson Fairbourn

November 29th, 2017 Sandy, UT DETAILS

I love shopping here! Best bang for your buck!

Carlene Dastrup

November 22nd, 2017 Sandy, UT DETAILS

Kohl's has probably the best sales of any of the department stores. I like that you receive Kohl's cash as well and that there are not limits on what you can spend it on.

Luke Gibson

November 12th, 2017 Provo, UT DETAILS

Kohl's is a bit of a racket: It conveys the appearance of a budget store like T.J. Maxx, and yet it has the opposite business strategy: Take cheap items and sell them massively overpriced. This is obscured by the fact that Kohl's cash and rewards are handed out liberally, but I feel that it's not really worth the effort of trying to work the system to gain what seems like middling savings. Not all of their items are cheap, however, and some are of great style and quality. However, this isn't enough to make it stand out as a store to shop in over a mall or outlet.

Sandy Sutton

November 8th, 2017 Spanish Fork, UT DETAILS

Quality clothing and house ware items at very affordable prices. Many money saving coupons available.

Hayley Lambdin

November 8th, 2017 Orem, UT DETAILS

Kohl's is a pretty good clothing store but I am confident I would enjoy it a lot better if the layout was way more organized. It honestly doesn't make any sense the way the have everything set up. Also, the check out line is always ridiculous!

Abbey Richards

November 6th, 2017 American Fork, UT DETAILS

I love Kohl's Cash. I also love the brands they carry. I get a lot of cute stuff there. It is a lower quality clothing, but I don't mind as much since it is a good deal.

Megan

November 5th, 2017 Coalville, UT DETAILS

Kohl's used to be where I would go for cheap cute clothes and get deals that I couldn't find anywhere. Now, they are more expensive than the stores they are suppose to be cheaper than.

Dale Zollinger

November 5th, 2017 Kaysville, UT DETAILS

Cloths and shoes are pretty cheap. I Dont buy many of them but the rest of the store is good to shop at.

Shalese

November 5th, 2017 Provo, UT DETAILS

Always good sales. Cute clothes and well priced.

Brooke

November 5th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

I’m nigoing a huge fan of Kohl’s. They have great customer service, but I never mind find anything I really like here.

Jami Myers

November 4th, 2017 Victor, ID DETAILS

One of my daughters favorite stores. Good selection of girl clothes.

Derek Heiner

November 4th, 2017 Centerville, UT DETAILS

I really like Kohl's. There is such a huge variety of things to get there and everything is really good quality. I also really like their Kohl's cash thing they do, it makes me always going back because i have to spend it.

Nichole Davidson

November 3rd, 2017 Sandy, UT DETAILS

I try to avoid Kohl's as much as possible unless I'm desperate (dress to match wedding colors). Not great quality products - not even impressed with Vera Wang's line. Shoes aren't good quality and look very generic with original price tags that resemble high quality, name brand shoes. Granted, they are always on sale but it's not an honest price, like they mark them up to trick the customer in thinking they're getting a good deal. I'm sure this is a common practice, but Kohl's seems to stretch it a bit. Only good thing is that you can get decent workout gear for cheap.

Stevie

November 3rd, 2017 American Fork, UT DETAILS

Unbeatable prices, sales and coupons. Lower quality and could use some more modern brand names.

Gary Mayer

November 2nd, 2017 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

great products and great prices. Very clean stores

Alex Murphy

November 2nd, 2017 Reno, NV DETAILS

Kohls has great deals! But doesn't have great quality products. It seems like the stores are always a little dirty too.

Connie Mayer

November 2nd, 2017 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

I think Kohl's is very messy. All their clothes are thrown everywhere, and it is at all stores in my area, not just one. They don't have great quality either. Their merchandise is mediocre. They do have great incentives and sales though, which keeps me shopping there.

ousawvh2

November 1st, 2017 Leesburg, VA DETAILS

If you're looking for good quality products and don't want to pay retail prices I recommend Kohl's. In my opinion you can find some great deals in their clothing and jewelry departments. If you happen to have a Kohl's coupon (20% or 30%) the savings is even greater even on sale items.

Shelly Zollinger

October 28th, 2017 Kaysville, UT DETAILS

Kinda cheep clothing. The rest of the store selection seems ok though. Long check out times

Landon

October 26th, 2017 Centerville, UT DETAILS

Kohl's is one of my favorite stores. Their customer service is amazing. I've bought multiple items for family and they always let me return the product if they don't like them or want a different kind.

Carilee Wilson

October 26th, 2017 Roy, UT DETAILS

Love Kohl's cash and coupons! Always good customer service.

Sandi Westover

October 26th, 2017 Fremont, CA DETAILS

Kohl's a great place to shop online. And it's easy to make returns to the store. They often mail out 15%, 20% and 30% off coupons. When shopping online you can look for an online coupon and use it. I especially like to use Ebates.com first and then go to Kohl's because Ebates shows the best offers and gives you a rebate. Kohl's also has a point rewards program so by shopping there regularly you can earn bonuses. I can get amazing deals.

Blake Wilcox

June 13th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

Every time I go to Kohls I feel like I am shopping in the old people's store. Their style are out of date and quality of the clothing is not the greatest. However, their home and kitchen things are really nice and of great quality.

Lindsay H.

June 10th, 2017 Draper, UT

Kohl's sends out coupons fairly often, which is awesome. But when store product is not on sale, it is often very overpriced for the quality in my opinion.

Quen Wilson

June 9th, 2017

Kohl's is the place to go for affordable and high quality products. When I was preparing to serve a two year religious mission, I had to purchase two suits that would last throughout my mission service. I was struggling to find high quality suits that could weather the storm for two year's that fit into my budget. While searching the local dress wear stores around town, I realized that I wasn't gonna be able to purchase two suits within my budget. This lead me to search online for suits and happened upon the Kohl's website. I started looking at their product and liked what I saw. I later headed the local Kohl's store and found two high quality suits for the same price as just one at the local dress wear stores. Needless to say, the suit's lasted the two year's and some. If you're looking for a high quality product for a low price, Kohl's is the place to go.

Sav Flo

June 5th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

Kohls is great for quick back to school shopping when you can't find anything else in any other store. They are pretty good with having a variety of brand names. There clothes are reasonable!

Sheryl Wilson

May 31st, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

Kohl's definitely has the best sales on their merchandise. I bought 9 suits at Christmas time for under $900 and also got Kohl's cash. The suits were delivered in time for Christmas giving. I bought a comforter set and a vacuum with my Kohl's cash.

Jonny Hancock

May 31st, 2017 Draper, UT

Kohl's seems to always be having sales, which is awesome. I really like their Kohl's Cash too. I feel like I save a lot of money whenever I shop here. The clothes that they sell are nice, but nothing too fancy.

Chelsea Stewart

May 31st, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I like Kohl's! Definitely not the most stylish, but great quality. I love the deals they run and the Kohl's cash.

Nathan Cunningham

May 31st, 2017 Orem, UT

I wish Kohl's offered free shipping on any order, but there are a ton of promos the store runs, so you can always save money. A $300 order for my wife and I was $102 - can't be mad when you save money like that. Also, I've never had an order take more than 5-6 days to arrive.