Kohl's Logo

7.3

LAST UPDATED: January 22nd, 2022
Kohl's, in terms of revenue, is the second largest retailer in the United States. They have been in business since 1962 and were taken public in 1992. One thing easy to like about them is their reputation. Rated in the Fortune 500, Kohl's is currently the #146 ranked store. They surpassed competing clothing giant JCPenney for the first time in 2013 in terms of sales. Kohl's has over 1100 stores in the United States and has recently renovated around 100 of them, with more plans to expand the size and numbers in coming years. We found a pretty even split between mall-based stores and urban store locations. This is a sign that Kohl's is doing well in reaching many different types of customers across the country.

Amazon Logo
#1 Amazon chevron_right
Nike Logo
#2 Nike chevron_right
Target Logo
#3 Target chevron_right

The Good

• Low prices for big brand items
  • Kohl's has 55 years of experience
  • Unlimited time to make returns
Kohl's has developed a large customer base for reasons including but not limited to:

Low Prices for Big Brand Items

Saving money when shopping at Kohl's is simple. Kohl's consistently run multiple promotions throughout their site, helping you as a shopper save as much money as possible. They have fashioned their online store with the same discount/money-saving model they use in their physical stores that has driven retail sales for years.  There is a good amount of content duplication between the online store and physical stores. There are also many unique products in the online store that are not necessarily available elsewhere. Not only are there consistently many items of clothing for sale, many of the items are from top brands in the industry. Kohl's has a great blend of top brands mixed with their exclusive brands to provide their customers with stylish and affordable options.

Kohl's has 55 Years of Experience

Kohl's has built itself up to become one of the strongest clothing retailer brands in the United States. While this brand growth hasn't occurred over night, it has occurred and is evidence of their large and supportive customer base. Being in business for 55 years has evidently taught them how to both describe and implement their various policies, helping make their shopping experience one highlighted by transparency and ultimately satisfaction from their customers.

Unlimited Time to Make Returns

One of Kohl's most popular policies involve the way they handle returns.  Truly a no-hassle/no questions asked policy, customers are given an infinite amount of days to return items of clothing. With no questions needing to be asked, no receipt is required in order to complete a return. Charges can be credited back within 12 months of the actual transaction date. If a return needs to be made outside of those 12 months, customers can be given in-store credit or a corporate-issued refund. Customers love this policy as it makes getting items returned fast and easy. As you can imagine, most of the time customers are pretty happy when they return an item to Kohl's.

The Bad

• No free shipping offered
While Kohl's online store excels in many ways, there is one area they fall short in when compared to other top clothing store competitors:

No Free Shipping Offered

While Kohl's shipping rates are competitive, there is no free shipping offered at this time per a policy. For example, many other online clothing stores offer free shipping on all orders that exceed a certain amount of money. Although their is not a policy in place for free shipping, gift cards are typically sent out for free shipping when orders are over $75. Minus the fact that they do not offer a free shipping option, their rates for freight are competitive with the rest of the industry. They use a tiered system, meaning your shipping costs fluctuate based off your total amount of clothing merchandise being purchased. The two primary methods of shipment are Standard Ground and Priority Air. As was already stated prices vary, however it is reasonable to expect paying between $6 and $25 for standard ground and $16 and $60 for Priority Air. Standard Ground takes between 3 to 6 business days and Priority Mail takes between 2 to 3 business day. Not having any type of free shipping policy is unfortunate, but as you can see their shipping rates and time frames are reasonable when shopping for clothes online.

The Bottom Line

Kohl's is one of the best online clothing retailers in the industry, especially when searching for affordable low-end clothing. They do a good job at reaching more consumers and have a good handle on the online paradigm. It is easy to like the interchangeability and sharing of items between the online site and the physical stores around the country. The return process is very easy if you purchase an online item because you can easily return the item to any store, with or without a packing slip. Due to their low prices for big brand items, 53 years of experience, and fantastic return policy we recommend shopping with them online.

Laurel Dalton Salt Lake City, UT

Everyone should purchase clothing from Kohl's. The deals are stellar, not to mention how quick and easy returns are through the use of Kohl's Cash. I buy new boots every year on their Black Friday Sale, and the shoes last me years. Would definitely recommend to anyone looking for quality clothing.

MM Largo, FL

Kohl's has a huge selection of merchandise for vet reasonable prices. It's one of my favorite stores for perfumes and accessories. I also like that they give Kohl's cash rewards with each purchase and also that store credit can be used to pay on the website. Kohl's also has a very liberal return policy and stands behind their merchandise. They will accept any product purchased there at any time in the past and give either a refund of you have a receipt of store credit if you don't. I like stores that stand behind the products they sell.

Paula Pili Provo, UT

Kohls is a great place to shop for clothes Initially the prices may seem outrageous However, because of Kohls creative marketing after applying coupons and discounts it actually is pretty affordable. They give great deals to “loyal” customers so find out how you can become a loyal customer!

JJ Jenkins Glendale, AZ

Kohl’s is our go to store whenever we need anything from practical loathing for us, gift items for others, books, baby toys, home decor, even pet gifts. They always have just what we need k. Sale and then we usually give us Kohl’s dollars to come back for More savings in the near future. I also love their promotion at the front of the store that pairs classic favorite children’s books with their matching plush main character and the set only costs $5 to support a charity.

Connor Smith Port Saint Lucie, FL

Kohl’s offers clothing and shoes for the entire family. Their sales are great you can save buying household items. One stop shopping for the family

Anoushka Ahuja Orlando, FL

I buy a lot from Konls especially during their thanksgiving sales. I love their rewards and Yes to you programs and it’s very easy to use the app and the digital wallet!

Lyn Okemos, MI

I have shopped many years at Kohl's. and was a preferred customer. In the last 2 years, I have noticed the prices have risen and the coupons aren't as flexible or generous. Their inventory is much less than it was in the past. Popular sizes are often in very short supply. You can order an item from their kiosk but I like to try on things so I don't have to return to the store to return it. Kohl's cash also has a dark side. You can't choose not to take it. Even if you don't use it, your refunds are decreased if you have to return something.

M. Nielsen South Bend, IN

Ordered from the website to pick up in store. I was very pleased how quickly my items were ready and how quickly the pick up process was. I even had time to shop in store for even more items. Always a clean and pleasant shopping experience with associates at the ready to help when needed.

Martha Woodward Charlotte, NC

Love, love, love Kohls!!! They are my constant go to. The trick is you have to get a Kohl's credit card. They'll send you coupons for up to 30% off and you can stack their coupons. If you go to retailmenot.com they always have great coupons for them. I've gotten things for practically free by using promo codes combined with sales. Also they have a great selection of very nice clothing for both adults and children.

Emily D Herriman, UT

Kohl's does great sales and offers lots of coupons. They’re one of a few stores that carry size xs so my daughter loves their clothes.

Ashlyn Elwood Marietta, GA

Kohl's can be a little more on the pricey side, but I recently went in store to pick up an order for sweatpants which I purchased online and customer service was on it. Within minutes I had my item and was out the door. I will totally be using their buy online, pick up in store service again. It just makes life easy!

Grossarth Family Herriman, UT

Love the shopping experience and the returns process is the easiest of all retailers.

Brittney Mac Gregor Louisville, KY

I get a good amount of my clothing, especially business casual from Kohl's. I find most of the clothing to be of quality and to hold up for a few years, even with frequent wear. There is a good selection of plus size clothing and lingerie. I always find something unique and appealing in housewares to add to my home décor, while the kids always find an interesting toy to bring home.

Jaid Clark Yuba City, CA

So many more options online then in store, you can have it shipped to you or to your local store. Plus more discounts online

E Jester Baltimore, MD

I like Kohl's voucher deals. This has always been a plus to get an incentive and discounts at the same time. I love most of the items they have for men because I shop for my son here often. There is a shortage of skirts for women. I can never find an age-appropriate skirt for me and I like wearing skirts. I use to go to Sears but they closed. I thought Kohls would have been my next best selection but their clothing section is very limited. Not to mention it takes forever to pay a Kohl's charge off. I have to shop in intervals to pay down on the card. If I can make a suggestion to Kohls, try to get more age-appropriate skirts in your inventory for women 40+. I have cargo, jeans, and mid-length skirts purchased from Sears but Kohl's is my shopping store and I expect great things when I walk through those doors. Deals are abounding but the selection is limited for older women. Thank you for the vouchers.

Heidi V Las Vegas, NV

If you're looking for a great shopping experience, Kohls is the place for you. Fashionable merchandise, weekly sales, and generous coupons give you more bang for your buck than most of their competitors. My favorite way to shop is online with Kohls. Not looking through racks of clothing to find my size is pure joy. Especially since I wear "tall" clothing. kohls has items you won't find in their brick & mortar stores. Also, for those coupons and sales, Kohls keeps them pinned to my login site. It saves me from cluttering up my desk with excess paper, and saves a tree in the process! Their site lets me pick up my orders in the store or have my purchase shipped to an address of choice. If I'm not happy with my internet purchase. returning it is simple. Use the return paperwork in the shipping envelope, or take it to a local store for a refund. Just an all round great shopping experience.

HC Brana Sanford, FL

We shop at Kohls quite often. There is a lot of choices. We have found that if not at the store the customer service desk is alway eager to order it for you at no extra charge.

David Swenson Boulder, CO

Nothing fancy here, just pretty good clothing at great prices. I Love Kohl's online for finding kids' clothes for my boys. Sometimes I feel like they give you more coupons than you even spend! Can't beat that.

Chris Bright Tempe, AZ

I am addicted to Kohls cash. We got out wedding set here and paid worth Kohls cash, so our rings were basically free! They have great deals all the time and the quality of their products is excellent.

Nyla C. Edison, NJ

I love shopping Kohl's because I can always find what I am looking for. Great sales, nice environment and clean stocked great service. I love the early morning specials/discounts they offer. They always restock their clothes depending on season.

Melanie Wible Cumming, GA

I love shopping at Kohl’s because they are a department store with brand names as well as, in-house apparel. I like and trust the Kohl’s brand name clothing too. Their styles are current and well made and fit my style. The children’s department is fun and value packed too. Thanks.

carole abel Palm Coast, FL

i love their sales- have been a kohls member for about 10 years and get great discounts- whether i know it or not. i am always surprised how much more i actually save when i get to check out on line or in persom. i love the sizing of the clothing- i can easily find my size and trust that it will fit even if i cannot try on the item, like when i shop online. i use kohls to send gifts to my new grandchild in California

Makayla Holland Gaithersburg, MD

I love kohl’s I feeling like buying the whole tastier when i go shopping there. I love that they sell not just clothing but accessories as well. And I always buy blankets and pillows from them. They quality of everything is 100/10. I’ve never once bought something from there and didn’t like it.

Jmarsh Macomb, MI

I have ordered from Kohl's website a handful of times for both delivery and curbside pick up. I like that I am able to use Kohl's cash and coupons directly on the site and have found shipping to be done quickly and accurately and curbside pickup has always been ready within hours. I will continue to shop for items I need at Kohl's!

Stella B Larchmont, NY

I like their clothes but you have to remember that they follow the "fake sales" model. They list a Manufacture suggested retail price, but then put it on "sale". You have to go in asking yourself, is this dress really a $100 dress on sale for $50? Or is it really just a $50 dress? I also like looking at the home stuff - the sales there see more legit.

Quen Wilson

Kohl's is the place to go for affordable and high quality products. When I was preparing to serve a two year religious mission, I had to purchase two suits that would last throughout my mission service. I was struggling to find high quality suits that could weather the storm for two year's that fit into my budget. While searching the local dress wear stores around town, I realized that I wasn't gonna be able to purchase two suits within my budget. This lead me to search online for suits and happened upon the Kohl's website. I started looking at their product and liked what I saw. I later headed the local Kohl's store and found two high quality suits for the same price as just one at the local dress wear stores. Needless to say, the suit's lasted the two year's and some. If you're looking for a high quality product for a low price, Kohl's is the place to go.

Gary Griffith Abilene, TX

Kohl's has grown to be my least favorite place to go. I usually just go to Amazon online over visiting the store. The local store has limited sizes of clothing and the price is usually higher than other big box stores.

Cassandra Tetzlaff Bend, OR

I think the prices are fair, they have great customer service and return policy. I wish that Kohls Cash didn't expire so quickly, but it's still a great value.

Erinmarie Xian Seffner, FL

Once I foudn out about Kohls I was hooked. Why would you shop anywhere else?! They have everything and they reward you for shopping. Its crazy... if I'm not shopping online, I'm buying from Kohls. No compare!

Rhona Leffler Olney, MD

Kohls sells affordable, brand-name clothing for men, women and children. The quality is good. Its a great place for shopping in preparation for "back to school". Also, they have a great selection of men's jeans. Their return policy is good.

Patricia Miller Preston, ID

I really enjoy Kohl's selection and quality of products. I can always find what I am looking for there. I have used many of their holiday products at Christmas time to give to neighbors and friends and they always make great gifts. I can find great gifts for my teenage grandsons who love funny T-shirts, my granddaughters who are related to Disney Princesses and my husband who is conservative! There is something for everyone at Kohl's.

Malia Barnes Cheyenne, WY

I shop at Kohl’s about twice a month. The employees always welcome me when I enter the doors. When I’m at the different departments employees come up to me and ask if I need any help. The employees are always so nice and helpful. The bathrooms are always so clean every time I go. I love using their bathrooms for that reason. The customer service is so fast and they are also so friendly. I had an order shipped to Kohl’s so that I didn’t have to pay shipping. I love that they do that so I can save money. I also love their products and they are affordable for my family.

Estefi Arreola Leyva Gilbert, AZ

Kohl's is good store, I have been going to the store for years. I love how the store has different brands you can get there. What is cool about it is that kohl's sells household things, like bed comforters, bed sheet, rugs, towels, pans, etc. Some many things you can get there. I love how the stores sales things to exercise like shoes, bottles, clothing, hats, and headbands. Kohl's also has a Jewelry, candle, and perfume section which is amazing.

Tiffany Phoenix, AZ

The quality of the clothes at Kohl's is wonderful. They also regularly have great sales and promotions on their merchandise. I always feel like I am getting a great deal when I shop here. The staff is helpful and friendly. The stores are clean and organized. I love the variety of merchandise they have. I have been happy with all of my purchases from here.

Sandi Westover Fremont, CA

Kohl's a great place to shop online. And it's easy to make returns to the store. They often mail out 15%, 20% and 30% off coupons. When shopping online you can look for an online coupon and use it. I especially like to use Ebates.com first and then go to Kohl's because Ebates shows the best offers and gives you a rebate. Kohl's also has a point rewards program so by shopping there regularly you can earn bonuses. I can get amazing deals.

Abigail Land Tallahassee, FL

Lots of cheap shoes and clothing with great deals. Kohl's cash makes them even more affordable.

[email protected] American Fork, UT

I love shopping at Kohl's! The variety and selection of clothing, bedding, toys, suitcases, shoes, etc. is excellent. I can usually find what I need quite quickly with the help of their employees. If it isn't available they have always helped me with ordering the item on line. They ship your purchase directly to your home within a very reasonable amount of time. If I have to return anything I have purchased there, they have been courteous and friendly. I have always had excellent service with their return center. The quality of their bedding and towels is top notch. Their sales are great and I usually end up buying more due to such great bargains. The only area I have had any problems is in the shoe department. You have to be fast and keep up on their promotions due to the fact everything sells out so fast. Great quality and pricing!

Tami Allen Gilbert, AZ

I love shopping at Kohl's for the entire family, but especially for myself. As a middle aged woman, it's hard sometimes to find stores that carry brands that fit when you can't shop in the Juniors section any longer. Kohl's has several brands that I love, with stylish, well made clothes at an amazing price. I love the JLo brand, Lauren Conrad, Rock & Republic, Juicy Couture, Simply Vera Wang, etc. They make clothes that fit a wide variety of women's bodies, and are true to size. I also love to shop the Kohl's sales racks, as they always have great deals. I love the shoe department as well, with a wide selection of designer shoes at great prices. I usually also shop their home section, and most of my kids and my bedding was bought at Kohl's. They have great quality products that last, but at a decent price. They also offer discounts and promotions when you sign up for their credit card, and I always get a percentage off my products, and Kohl's cash to spend the next time I come. It certainly keeps me coming back for more!

Elisabeth Kinghorn Bangkok, 10

Kohl's has always been a favorite when shopping for new clothes. They always have very good deals and I love the Kohl's cash discounts! Very friendly staff as well

Joseph from Virginia Miami, FL

Great selection especially for clothing and sneakers and shoes. Note: some brand names are exempt from the discounts but you still get $10 Kohl’s cash for every $50 spent.

Andrea Wheaton, IL

I'm giving Kohl's 4 stars because overall I have a good experience shopping there. Their app is great, drive up pick up is great, and the sales can be amazing. The only drawback is sometimes the quality is questionable. During the holidays, you may never receive the item you ordered, so they have some work to do in that area.

Nell Damascus, MD

Kohls is a great place if you pay attention to the sales. The prices vary so much and change so quickly if you have the time to pay attention you will find really good bargains.

Steve Ashby Portland, OR

I have some great clothes from Kohl's, but I feel like it is very hit and miss... Their sales often do not include name brand products. I like their clearance racks but are usually so disorganized it is painful to look through them; however, it probably depends on the store management. I have a pair of Kohl's brand boots that I really like and got a great deal on. Also, their sportswear products look great! And they can be purchased using the frequent coupons that are offered.

Wendy Smullin Logan, UT

Kohl's is a fantastic place to shop online and in store. Their wide range of quality products is incredible. Finding the right home items that are quality has been easy at Kohl's. Their returns are so easy, especially when you order the wrong size!! They carry great brands of clothes giving you what you need from casual to formal.

Scott A. Johnson Orem, UT

Kohl's has a great selection of clothing for men and women. Their selection of dress pants, shirts, and suits is especially good for men. You need to shop their sales or pricing can be high, but they almost always have sales ad additional percent-off coupons to use, especially if you have a Kohl's card. Customer service is good and friendly.

AF ,

I have purchased clothing from Kohls many times, especially for my kids. I will try to stack their coupons and promo codes and usually feel like I get a really good price. However, it's a little sad that some things are included in their coupons and others are not (Nike, Under Armor, etc). I also like the ship to store option -- I don't like paying for shipping.

JDWain Tallahassee, FL

My family loves to shop at Kohl's, we find that they always have good sales and tend to change out their clothes pretty often with the seasons so there is always something new to look at. Plus we love getting our Kohl's Cash back to use.

Jen Paxman Lehi, UT

Kohls website is so great and easy to navigate. They have a great selection and are always offering online sales or coupons that can be applied to that purchase. I also like that anything that I order and decide I don't want, I am able to return to a store with no question. The customer service is great and always very helpful. We shop online at Kohls for every member of our family and will continue to do so.

Tanner Cook Gilbert, AZ

I absolutely love shopping at Kohl’s, both in the store and online. Many times I’m able to get a lot of things that I need there, and then you get rewards with Kohl’s cash. And if you don’t want to pay for shipping, you can always have the item shipped to the nearest store to you. It’s a win-win situation

Lois Norwalk, CA

Shopped Kohl's online for the first time. Very impressed. Very happy. Everything shipped quickly & arrived in good shape. Compares to Amazon however with Kohl's i received my Kohl's cash. With the great sales going on I was able to buy a really nice down comforter using my Kohl's cash. Will shop Christmas presents here again next year. Very happy.