JCPenney Logo

JCPenney

8.2

JCPenney has been in business since 1902. It serves customers at approximately 840 stores across the United States and Puerto Rico, and online at jcp.com. Its operations are supported by a variety of U.S. and internationally based support facilities, including its home office in Plano, Texas.

JCPenney has undergone several transformations over its more than 100 years in business. In 1963, it issued its first mail order catalog, influencing the way Americans would shop for decades. And then in 1994, JPenney evolved again as one of the first national retailers to embrace e-commerce by launching jcp.com. Today JCPenney stores are mainly located in shopping malls and do a large amount of business online.

In recent years JCPenney has faced a slew of financial issues as the retail industry has changed rapidly. In May 2020 JCPenney filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection and announced that it would close 242 stores. In September 2020, the retail chain was purchased by two large property groups. Its stores and e-commerce site are operating as usual.

JCPenney sells clothing, shoes, accessories and household items. Its website also sells a large range of jewelry, salon items, and Sephora Beauty products. Customers should be aware that its stores vary in their offerings. Not all stores feature add-ons such as their optical departments, photography studios, JCP Salon, and Sephora Beauty.

The fashion industry is responsible for 10 percent of humanity’s carbon emissions each year, and this impact is growing. JCPenney is one of the largest purchasers of clothing, shoes, accessories and household items to be sold in the United States and Puerto Rico and is dedicated to ethical and environmentally friendly sourcing for the goods it sells. Customers can review information related to JCPenney’s standards on its website.

The Good

• Clothing Competitively Priced
  • More Than 100 Years of Retail Experience
  • Free Shipping Offered on Orders Over $49

Clothing Competitively Priced

JCPenney, as one of the most experienced clothing retailer, provides its customers with great low prices for quality merchandise. For example, tuxedos that could cost hundreds of dollars from other online clothing wholesalers can be purchased for far less. You are able to purchase nice tuxedos, especially the Stafford brand, near rental prices. This is a great option for a customer who might not have big bucks to spend on a prom, wedding, or other special occasion. There are lots of options for items beyond clothing. Besides men, women, children, and baby clothing products, there are also bed and bath products, furniture, and other items for around the home.

More Than 100 Years of Retail Experience

Being in business for several decades has benefited JCPenney throughout its transition to the online store shopping world. The company regularly responds to customer complaints and works on repairing the client-company relationship when a poor customer experience has occurred. Because of this, JCPenney has an excellent customer service reputation. The company has consistently responded to customer complaints politely, timely, and worked effectively to fix issues the right way.

Free Shipping Offered on Orders Over $49

JCPenney offers a number of different shipping options, including standard (three to five business days), premium (three business days), express (one or two business days). When shopping online, free shipping is offered for orders that total over $49. Orders that qualify for free shipping are shipped via its Standard Delivery 3–5 business day method. Eligible customers must select this option in checkout in order to receive free shipping. Free shipping excludes truck-delivered items and may also exclude select manufacturer delivered items based on participation.

There is also the option of ordering something online and then picking it up at a JCPenney Store. JCPenney stores offer curbside pick up as well. Customers must place orders by 3 p.m. for free pickup at their local store. This makes getting your item relatively easy and fast.

The Bad

• Shipping and Delivery Issues
  • Restocking Fees
  • Review Tool

Shipping and Delivery Issues

JCPenney’s online reviews include many complaints regarding shipping and receiving issues. Some complaints regarded the slow shipping of certain items. Complaints like these usually indicate a pattern of problems with inventory and distribution center processes, and the complaint resolutions made it sound like JCPenney is working on this.

Restocking Fees

There are problems involving restocking fees for some certain products. For example, there is a restocking fee for returning furniture. Customers should be able to return unused furniture without a restocking fee if they find that it wasn't a good fit for them. Smaller items, like clothes, don't have as many issues with this however.

Review Tool

Not very many customers used the online review tool for JCPenney products. It would enhance the shopping experience if information about products that customers have purchased was readily available on the site; this information helps customers determine whether or not a product is a good fit for them.

The Bottom Line

Overall, we definitely recommend JCPenney to those shopping for low-end to mid-range priced clothing. Although the company has experienced a slight decline due to the disappearance of the catalog industry, we found that they have a great selection of clothes online. One of the nice things about JCPenney is that you can purchase regular products like special occasion dresses or tuxedos for close to their rental prices.

We also liked that JCPenney has done a great job with customer service. We found that the company was significantly beating Nordstrom when it came to keeping customers happy. Also, the rewards program is not "exclusive." You do have to spend a certain amount of money at each service level in the rewards program on the store credit card, but there are many great perks with the rewards program.

3.8

Nyla C. Edison, NJ

I loved the store, working here was great and I hope to get back to it soon. The environment was very nice and I felt I could work fast paced here. Managers are very helpful and there are discounts for employees as well. Their selection is nice and affordable too.

seanth57 Columbus, GA

I shop at the local store and online, there always a great sale going on, the pickup service at the store is convenient.

Lisa C Johnson Catonsville, MD

Customer service is amazing. The employees always greet me at the store. The variety of clothes are great. I buy most of my clothes here. I love the coupons that you can use on sale items. Used to be able to use them on discontinued item. Overall the prices are very good for the quality.

MindyV Lubbock, TX

JC Penney has decent clothes but they don't have a good selection for us plus sized women. They often have sales, which is great, but then there's a good chance they don't have your size, which stinks. I wouldn't feel comfortable buying most of their plus size clothes. I'm pretty modest and a lot of the clothes are not.

Caloway Salt Lake City, UT

JCPenny has very good clothing and it is normally easy to find a good deal on jeans or shirts. I go there for the clothes so I don't know much about what else they have to offer. The clothes can be pricey but are of good quality. The staff have always been friendly and helpful.

Steve Ashby Portland, OR

I think JCP is underrated for clothing. Every time I go there I find great deals on great items. You have to work the sales but if you do it is worth it. I found great puffy coats last year that cost around $15, and the best part is they don't have any goofy logos on them for some random brand name. Why would I want to advertise anything but the top brands? I also found a great coat for my wife that rivals anything you'll see on a Hallmark Christmas movie!

JOHN M CAMPBELL ,

I've been ordering products through their online catalog for many years. I have them delivered to my local store with no associated shipping fees and they are quick to fill the orders. But the best thing is the Customer Service. They make it so easy to return things and they quickly credit your card with the refund.

Nell Damascus, MD

JC Penney is tried and true. Great selection and variety for everything - house and home to women’s, children’s and men’s wear. Great shoe department.

Keante Mooney Petal, MS

I have ordered about 3 different online orders with in a month and a half frame . I can honestly say I have recieved every order in a very timely fashion which is very impressing because im sure because of school starting back im sure things are very busy. I had one order where I recieved all items but one so I called online customer service and I got a lady name Mychell and she did an amazing job making sure she got me what I was missing . It took less than five min and she had it taken care of . Good job Mychell we need more customer service reps like you !!!!

Makayla Holland Gaithersburg, MD

I don’t really like JCPenney, I’m not very comfortable with there clothing and there costumer was not to my liking. I don’t think that this was worth my money.

Tami Allen Gilbert, AZ

JC Penney is one of my favorite stores to shop at because they have a wide selection of clothing for all ages, and brands that fit a wide variety of women especially. I am a middle aged woman, who can't shop in the Juniors section anymore and find anything that fits. But at JC Penney, I can find clothes that are reasonably priced and fashionable in my size. I usually stop at JC Penney when I take the kids school shopping because in one stop, we can get almost everything we need, shoes, clothes, makeup, jewelry, etc. I love the convenience and the quality that JC Penney offers, and especially the low prices.

Hayden Yarbrough Laurelton, NJ

I’m not one to turn people away from businesses, as I know people need to have their own experiences and make their own opinions. However, I STRONGLY advise literally any and everyone to stay away from JCPenney in the Ocean County Mall. My husband purchased my wedding set in 2017 and it has been issue after issue with them ever since. Not only are ALL of the jewlery associates inconceivably rude and unhelpful, but I have been calling customer service over and over, asking to be transferred to managers and supervisors for two hours now and my issue is STILL not resolved. Once I get my rings back (IF EVER) after not having them for over a month, I will be taking them elsewhere to be serviced even after my husband paid extra for the lifetime warranty, because at this point, I would literally spend any amount of money to never be treated like this again. Do yourself a favor and don’t bother buying anything of value from this store. You will 1000% regret it.

Brooklyn Bishop Smithfield, UT

JVPenny is a great place to get clothes from. They are very high quality and super trendy. My clothes last me a long time and I would totally recommend!

Alicia Holman Gilbert, AZ

Although the store is packed full of stuff, the prices are good and the variety is good as well. The men's clothes are especially good for Big Men. They also have a lot to offer for branded items like NFL, NBA, etc which is sometimes hard to find. If you're looking to get new curtains or a rug, it's a good place to find an inexpensive item as well.

Lindsey Andersen Provo, UT

I absolutely LOVE that JCPenney has been including plus size models on their Instagram page. They have great options and prices. You can return anything in the store that you bought online. You can go to Sephora inside JCPenney for makeup. I'm there all the time, and you can do it online as well!

Kory Staheli

I am a big fan of JC Pennys. Their online store is user friendly and they offer a wide variety of clothing options at great prices -- especially if you watch for the sales. I have also been pleased with their customer service. I had to return an item recently and they made it quick and hassle free. The customer service representative I worked with was both competent and friendly.

Kenneth Okerlund

I have never had a bad experience with employees at JCPenney. Although they don't always have what I am looking for, I still really enjoy going and taking a look because more often than not I find what I want at a very good price.

Shauna Horne American Fork, UT

I really like that JC Penney carries the Liz Claiborne line of clothes. I buy a lot of my clothing there because of it. They almost always have a sale on the clothes too, which I really appreciate. They also have a great selection of shoes and handbags. My husband likes the Arizona brand of jeans that JC Penney carries so he likes to shop there too.

kristin Gneiting Pleasant Grove, UT

I love shopping online at JCPenney because of the online coupons that they list right on their website! The shipping is always reasonable if you want things shipped right to your house, but you can also have things shipped to the store for free. Holiday shopping is a must at JCPenney online because of the deals you find and it beats going out and fighting the crowds. I have never had a problem with getting things late, my items have always arrived in a timely manner.

Sicely Lyn Russell Show Low, AZ

I have really cute sweaters from here. They are super comfy and I would wear them everyday if I could. The AZ jeans are also really cute!

Kim Blake Newark, DE

If i could give a zero i would. I place an order on the 17th of December. Was sent an email that it was shipped on the 19th. Was given a tracking # for usps. Then i go further to view order and i have a diff tracking # now for ups saying i won't get my order till Jan 6th. I have checked order status everyday and it keeps changing further and further out. Customer service was not helpful at all. Will never order from thwm again!

Mahilet Getachw Jacksonville, FL

Every experience that I have had with JCPenney has been nothing but great from the customer service and the items they provide.

Julie Heckler Antioch, TN

Is there a way to put 0 on here. I’m a literally fuming, and I don’t think I have ever been this MAD in my entire life!!!! I want to say a lot of bad words, but I am holding it in. I placed an order for my gma as a surprise.... she is very ill, and she loved this suit; unfortunately, she couldn’t get out of bed today. She called me several times raving about this suit, but she didn’t want to pay the clearance price. Plus, the darn “coupon” wouldn’t work, and even at that point she said, “they are fooling us.” Of course, I went ahead and ordered her the suit. It kept saying out of Stock, but I refreshed the page. It showed on-stock immediately, so I placed the order. After HURRYING to do so, I placed the order, and within 7-minutes of doing so, I called “jcp” as instructed......... After 2-HOURS of being on- hold (which was around 5:30pmCST on a Saturday of all things), they finally get me to a supervisor. During all of this, I remained extraordinaryly calm, understanding and empathetic. Again, it’s been 2- hours at this point. The “bia” cancels my order; then, within seconds (literally) less than 5-seconds, she can replace the order and can’t do a thing about it. I asked her very specific questions as I have managed/directed a call center. Not to brag, but frankly, this is Bs, and I know/deserve better......I can’t say enough how calm, sweet, and collected I maintained, bc I totally get it; I deal with this ever day. After the supervisor (Aka maybe 14-yr old) tells me she cancelled my order for nothing and can’t do crap, I ask her questions about warehouse options. Again, I am still totally calm and very nice; guess what?!?!?!? This “BIA” hangs up on me for no reason at all! I’m sure it’s bc she didn’t know what to do bc she sounds like an uninformed person to begin with, which is totally not her problem..... It’s JCP PROBLEM! Not only did they pull the “wool” over my gmas eyes, they placed an order without asking for shipping info, and as instructed, I followed their rules to correct it. After and in total spending 2.5 hours simply trying to order this item, they hung up for no reason at all and couldn’t call back?!?! Talk about the worst experience and customer service. My gma constantly orders from JCP, and I usually spend 200-300/month. Do you think I will or my gma will ever order from here again?!? No!!!!!!! I have never been so extraordinarily upset, esp when we were nice, AND STILL, we are screwed. Plus, I have to wait for money to be put back on my card, HA! We will see if that happens, and if not, I will release every amount of hell on anyone and everything!!!! This is BULL! We will never, ever shop here a again, and bright will my (oh did I mention I have over 70 people in my family), they ALL agree, we will NEVER shop here again!!!!! I hope y’all burn!

Austin Stelmach Boulder, CO

JC Penny, although similar to other department stores, has THE best clothing items. They are constantly updating their fashion and still have some of the lowest prices. I love shopping here.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

JCPenney offers all the great brands online. They are a staple in american fashion and offer it at great prices. The site is organized well and offers great pics to show off the clothing well. Delivery is quick too making JCPenney a great place to start shopping online.

Pamela M Mercer Plainfield, IN

I was in the Plainfield Indiana store today and they have the area roped off at the registers for people to wait for check out. I was lined up by the sign and they took a customer from the exit instead. When it was my turn I ask the cashier if they were taking from both sides not she said no. I stated they had taken the other people from the exit before me. She said they had been waiting there. I know in fact that they were right in front of me heading to the register and they stopped at the exit and I went ahead and were to the entrance. That I could over look but when I ask why some customers followed the rules and others did not. The cashier smarted off to me about it. I said no wonder JC Penney's is going out of business and she stated this one is not in a snotty way. She never thanked me for my business. No wonder the stores are having to close when I can sit at home order the product and not be bothered by people who do not want to follow the rules and the snotty help! When I got home I called the store and asked for the manager and was put to a voicemail. The store was not that busy. I left my name and what I was calling about and my phone number about 2:30 and I still have not heard back from him.

LK East Lansing, MI

I ordered an item online to pick-up in store. The instructions claimed that the item would be ready either that day or the next. Time goes along, and I still have not received an email. I called the JCPenney (which in this case was located at Lansing Mall) to sort this out, as I'm traveling back home and will need the item by the end of the week. I ordered it on a Friday, and called on the next Wednesday, with still no word. The associate I spoke to was very accommodating and said that they could just cancel my online order since they had 2 items in store matching what I ordered. Unfortunately when I drove 25 minutes to get to this location the items they claimed to have were nowhere to be found. The only person who seemed to know what to do was a manager, who took me upstairs to the online order backstock to find out that my order was just sitting there. I am very thankful for this manager's help but overall just very frustrated with this JCPenney and will probably never go to that store, nor use the online ordering service again.

Ingrid Salisbury, NC

I Order items on November 23, 2018, to be delivery to the store got confirmation that the order was place and should be getting notification of it's delivery. A week later call customer service and was told that my delivery should be at the store by Thursday of the following week and someone at the store will give me a call to let me know that my order is ready to be pick up well the week can and left, so Friday December 7, 2018 I call customer service to see if they can give me some information on where my order is, I got the worst customer service ever, she was not trying to help me find my order, she said that they can not track to see if it was delivery to the store, she did not do anything to keep the customer satisfied, and hang up on me. After talking to a supervisor I did find out that the order was at the store and ready for pick up. (but still not know why I did not get that call of email notification). Here is the kicker once I pick up the order JCPENNY email thanking me for picking up my order. Now if they can not track to see if my order was delivered how can they track to see if I pick up my order. WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER!!!!! I Shop a lot at JCPENNY during this time of the year, but I may have to rethink this :(

Lucy Yang Hickory, NC

This is the 2nd time that I have used the same day pick up service available on the website and my order was not ready for pick up within the promised 4 hrs. 2 days ago I purchased 3 items online for same day pick up. When I called to see if my order was ready, 24 hrs after I had ordered it, the manager tells me that it wasn't ready and for me to call back at 3pm. When I called back at 3 pm, the phone just rang and rang and went to voicemail. I called a few times and no answer. At 7pm, I decided to go into the store to pick up my items. The clerks then, told me that they couldn't find my order, they were unsure if it was ready for pick up and had no clue of the status. Then they told me that maybe I had not selected the same day pick up option and made a mistake to have it to shipped to the store instead. I couldn't get any phone reception to check my order online, so I walked out of the store and verified that I had selected the same day pick up. I had to walk back in the store to tell them, I did pick the same day pick up option. . After a whole hour, they called the manager who then says, one of my items were not available, therefore my order did not process. I did not receive any notifications that my order did not process. When I checked my credit card, my purchase order was pending charges. They then told me that I had to purchase the items again, and would give me the sale price I got it for online. It was such a hassle and so inconvenient and so unprofessional. I don't want to deal with JC Penny's same day pick up no more.

Auditi Gilbert, AZ

JCPenney always has sales going on, but not the best items. You are going to have to look for good clothes. Items that are currently popular seem to be more expensive. They have a nice collection of wallets, purses and jewelry.

Mouna Franklin, WI

Dipti had been extremely helpful at the South Ridge Mall location in greenfield WI. I am very happy with the quality and service that JC Penny is still committed to regardless of all the changes in other stores.

Sonia Vivas Perris, CA

I had a bad experience buying online. I receive an email saying that if I need them to hold my package to call the store and ask for it, and I did and they told me the only way they could do it was going in person to the store what has no sence ..if I was asking them to hold it obviously it was because for some reason I wasn't able to go. So they cancelled my order and I couldn't find the same things again. That was the stupidest thing I ever heard.

Kaylee West Jordan, UT

Clothes are fairly priced and they have something for the whole family. There are always sales going on as well. It is also nice that they sell items for kitchen, bath, jewelry, shoes, and beauty. This makes for an easy one-stop Christmas shop.

Hannah Pleasant Grove, UT

JCPenney is nice if you're looking for the basics and the classics - not much more. I've found good denim there, and I appreciate that they almost always have some sort of sale going on, so you can almost always find something in your price range.

Lindsey American Fork, UT

JCPenney has a great website for clothing and many other department store items. Since it is not really my style, I've looked on the site but haven't actually bought anything on it. The website is easy to navigate through, and has the prices, sizes, and colors clearly mapped out.

Sandi Westover Fremont, CA

It's easy to shop JC Penney online. I like that I can return items I don't like to store. I don't have to pay return shipping. I can also shop online and pick up at the store.

Nichole Davidson Sandy, UT

JCPenny is never my go-to store, but my last resort when I need something generic or cheap. I'd rather go without then spend money on clothing that isn't durable and doesn't fit quite right. I know many people who shop their often and always have great success - I've never been that person. The best thing that happened to JCPenny, in my opinion, is to partner with Sephora.

Connie Mayer South Jordan, UT

JCPenney has been a store I have gone to for years. I have been there with my daughters, granddaughters, and other family members. The prices are fair, and I love their jewelry department. Their ladies wear is good too. It isn't my favorite store though, but they have good sales and good coupons.

Karen Torino Tallahassee, FL

I love shopping at JCPenney year round. They usually offer nice deals to go along with your purchases and have a great variety of clothing to choose from. I have bought everything from winter clothing to summer dresses and I love them.

Janan Grange Pleasant Grove, UT

I had searched for several weeks for Bridesmaid dresses for my daughter's wedding. I was able to finally find the perfect dresses at JCPenney's website. I wasn't sure of all the correct sizes so I ordered several different sizes to have the girls try them on and then bought the rest. The process was easy and the dresses all came in a prompt manner. They also easily returned the dresses that were the wrong sizes.

FIXITART West Jordan, UT

I love to shop their sales!! They really have good deals! And I like some of the name brand clothing they have! They have a great selection of men’s Levi’s But in the women’s section they are always sold out! I find it strange that they have a very good selection for JR’s , who don’t wear the Levi brand. Someone has it backwards! More sizes and selection and not the skinny ones and add some colors! You might be surprised how much your sales increase! And really when was the last time you saw a young lady, teen in a pair of Levi’s? If they ride horses or work on a farm they usually on Wrsnglers. Sorry

Jeremy Brown Riverton, UT

JCPenny has great clothing for the whole family, they have great prices and they are in great quality when you buy the clothes. I love going there to buy clothes all the time because the employees are always in a great mood and always put a smile on my face.

Becky Livingston, TX

I usually use the JCPenny website to see what they have available and the prices. Also, to see if there are any coupons available for shopping locally. When I've ordered online I've been pleased with the shipping and ability to return items to the local store.

Ted Johnson Pleasant Grove, UT

JC Penney is my kind of online store. They have great prices and I know of their quality from their main stores. They have a Big and Tall section that is just right for me and it still has a good variety of modern and good looking clothes.

Olivia LeBaron Delta, UT

I live hours away from a city so this is a nice way for me to get clothing easily. Good quality clothing for a good price shipped to my door. I can take things to the store to return them easily. Clothes tend to be pre shrunk

Sierra Beck Herriman, UT

I go to JCPenney a lot and find cute things but they don't always have my size. I either have them call another store to see or I look online. A lot of the times they have more sizes available online and I can get what I need. I recently bought a pair of cute swim shorts that I love.

Reese Pleasant Grove, UT

I have bought from JCPenney many times over the years and they are a well known brand that stands behind their products. They have a great selection of clothes to choose from, and brand names that are stylish. I love their Big and Tall options that are just right for me and the price is right as well.

Ashley Pleasant Grove, UT

I love shopping online at JCPenney's for my husbands white shirts for Sunday. They last a long time and are the best quality I have found. He is a big guy too and they carry big and tall. It is so fast and easy and you can save money by having them shipped to your local store.

Avery Fowler Pleasant Grove, UT

During Christmas time me and my family always get PJs, we always go to JCPenney to get our PJs. They are always super soft, high quality fabrics, and have many different options, and they also last a very long time. Staff is always super welcoming, store is very organized!

Preston Fowler Pleasant Grove, UT

My sisters were always obsessed with JCPenney and I never knew why until I went there and found the hottest new pair of shoes, when I walked into church all the ladies turned their heads and I blew them away with my amazing new pair of JCPenney shoes.