JCPenney

JCPenney has been in business since 1902. They have stores in the United States and in Puerto Rico. They are mostly located in urban shopping malls, however before the 1960s most of their stores were located in downtown areas. The JCPenney store has been doing business online since 1998, using the boom in Internet growth to spearhead improvements in their stores and distribution processes.

Although JCPenney has been an industry standard as a retailer for many years, there has been a shift in their overall success and popularity in recent years as the catalog industry has largely been replaced by Internet sales. They have unfortunately had a run-in in the past with major search engine Google regarding the use of links to create visibility online. Google knocked down JCPenney's ranking in the searches as a result of this, being much of the cause for their continuing up-and-coming situation with their online store. Regardless of the online rankings given, JCPenney is still considered by many to be a retail powerhouse and shopping destination for clothing and apparel.

The Good

• Clothing Competitively Priced
  • 115 Years of Retail Experience
  • Free Shipping Offered on Orders Over $99

There are a number of reasons why JCPenney has been such a popular clothing store choice over the years. A few of these reasons include:

Clothing Competitively Priced

JCPenney, as one of the most experienced clothing retailer, provides its customers with great low prices for quality merchandise. For example, tuxedos that could cost hundreds of dollars from other online clothing wholesalers can be purchased for far less. You are able to purchase nice tuxedos, especially the Stafford brand, near rental prices. This is a great option for a customer who might not have big bucks to spend on a prom, wedding, or other special occasion. There are lots of options for items beyond clothing. Besides men, women, children, and baby clothing products, there are also bed and bath products, furniture, and other items for around the home.

115 Years of Retail Experience

Being in business for over 115 years has benefited JCPenney throughout their transition to the online store shopping world. They regularly respond to customer complaints and work on repairing the client-company relationship when a poor customer experience has occurred. Because of this, they have an excellent customer service reputation. They have consistently responded to customer complaints politely, timely, and worked effectively to fix issues the right way.

Free Shipping Offered on Orders Over $99

When shopping online, free shipping is offered for orders that total over $99. JCPenney offers a number of different shipping options, including standard (4 to 7 business days), premium (3 business days), express (2 or 1 business day). There is also the option of ordering something online and then picking it up at a JCPenney Store. This makes getting your item relatively easy, and it takes just about as long as standard shipping (about 4 to 7 business days). There is a surcharge for oversized items, and that cost is determined per order as you proceed throughout the online checkout.

The Bad

• Shipping and Delivery Issues
  • Restocking Fees
  • Review Tool

Shipping and Delivery Issues

There isn't a whole lot of negative to say about JCPenney. There are a lot of complaints regarding shipping and receiving issues. Some complaints regarded the slow shipping of certain items. Complaints like these usually indicate a pattern of problems with inventory and distribution center processes, and the complaint resolutions made it sound like JCPenney is working on this.

Restocking Fees

There are problems involving restocking fees for some certain products. For example, there is a restocking fee for returning furniture. Customers should be able to return unused furniture without a restocking fee if they find that it wasn't a good fit for them. Smaller items, like clothes, don't have as many issues with this however.

Review Tool

Not very many customers used the online review tool for JCPenney products. It would enhance the shopping experience if information about products that customers have purchased was readily available on the site; this information helps customers determine whether or not a product is a good fit for them.

The Bottom Line

Overall, we definitely recommend JCPenney to those shopping for low-end to mid-range priced clothing. Although they have experienced slight declining due to the disappearance of the catalog industry, we found that they have a great selection of clothes online. One of the nice things about JCPenney is that you can purchase regular products near their rental prices. This is a great fit for customers who might want to spend a little bit more and purchase a dress or tux for a special event.

We also liked that JCPenney has done a great job with customer service. We found that they were significantly beating Nordstrom when it came to keeping customers happy. Also, their rewards program is not "exclusive." You do have to spend a certain amount of money at each service level in their rewards program on their store credit card, but there are many great perks with the rewards program that they offer.

17 JCPenney Reviews

1. Select Your Rating

2. Subject For This Review * (Select all that apply)

0 characters

3. Review Validation*

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Next Step: Verify your email

We have sent a verification email to the following email address:

July 13th, 2017 Miami Beach, FL

Bought 5 items on line, paid for shipping and after 2 days of late delivery , I have no idea where my things are. I will never buy anything from them on line ever again. Lesson learned.

June 13th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

JCP is not my favorite, stuff there looks really cheap and not quality. I only bought a few things from there in the past and it wasn't what I was expecting it to do. The prices are the only motivation to go to JCP.

1 0

June 13th, 2017 Sandy, UT

Been a customer for many years. JCP continues to provide a desired product and a competitive price.

June 13th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

The styles at JCPenney are outdated and not as stylish as other department stores. Their prices are great, and they always have deals going on. However, the quality of thier clothing is not worth the money.

June 12th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

This store offers a wide variety of clothing. They have been around for a long time and offer great service.

June 10th, 2017

I am a big fan of JC Pennys. Their online store is user friendly and they offer a wide variety of clothing options at great prices -- especially if you watch for the sales. I have also been pleased with their customer service. I had to return an item recently and they made it quick and hassle free. The customer service representative I worked with was both competent and friendly.

June 5th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I'm not too impressed with the quality of clothing. JcPenny isn't my first pick for clothes but they do have cheap prices.

May 29th, 2017 Mona, UT

I apparently opened a JC Penney credit card years ago that I never received any mail for. Recently, I noticed that my credit score dropped 50 points, which seemed strange to me because I didn't think I had done anything that would have caused such a significant drop. Upon further investigation, I discovered that the credit limit for the JC Penney credit card that I didn't even remember that I had had been cut in half, which caused my overall credit to take a hit. It is frustrating to me that JC Penney never sent me any notices about its credit card. Would not recommend JC Penney card services to anyone.

May 29th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

JC penny really isn't the best store. There are so many places that are cheaper with a much bigger variety of clothes...which is the main reason I don't like it. I will say that I was happy when I found my suit that I wore to my wedding and it was a very reasonable price. Other than that....not my first or even fifth choice.

May 26th, 2017

I mostly shop at JCPenney online. They have a lot of options for the clothing that I like and items arrived on time. The qualtiy is what you expect and returns are a cinch.

May 26th, 2017

I have never had a bad experience with employees at JCPenney. Although they don't always have what I am looking for, I still really enjoy going and taking a look because more often than not I find what I want at a very good price.

March 20th, 2017

Laurie in the shoe department was fantastic help! She was very helpful and gave me the best deal she could have a great smile and I will be back because of her.

November 15th, 2016 Davenport, IA

I am so disappointed. On their page they have a picture of a hutch for sale and that picture includes a changing table... However the changing table was not included. When the hutch came I was very disappointed to discover this. I looked to see if I could buy the changing table and what do you know, they don't sell it anymore, even though they keep a picture of it up. So when I asked to return it I was told I had to pay $75 dollars on top of the $75 delivery fee... So in order to get it returned I had to take a $150 loss.. The hutch was $160. I am so mad and upset about this, I don't know if I will ever shop at JCP again. Also, the lady I talked to at JCP online was so rude.

October 7th, 2016 Fort Myers, FL

Do not order from JC Penny online!!!! Horrible Experience..my order was cancelled 3 times for no reason. They said after hours and m,any phone calls that it can take at least 2 weeks to verify orders!! Meanwhile, I have had to dispute 2 pending charges on my credit card Terrible Customer Service !!! Warning!!

August 25th, 2016 Fresno, CA

I HAVE A PAIR OF STAFFORED MENS DRESS SHOES, THE SOLE WITH VERY LITTLE USE BROKE AND CRUMBLED APART. I tried to 'CHAT' WITH CUSTOMER SERVICE THEY TERMINATED CHAT WITHOUT ANSWERING ANY OF MY QUESTIONS , OTHER THEN CLAIMING THAT SHOE SOLES FALL APART FROM USE OR STORAGE....SOMEHOW MANUFACTURING DEFECT WAS NOT A CONSIDERATION . THEY THEN TERMINATED CHAT FROM THEIR END WITH NO RESOLUTION OFFERRED......YOU CAn't even begin to call that customer service

June 25th, 2016 Knoxville, TN

Just awful that's all I have to say.

January 18th, 2016 Akeley, MN

I went shopping for some much needed clothing at JC Penny. At the checkout the sales associate was more interested in getting me to sign up for a credit card than in getting the magnetic tags off of the clothing. I asked her to please make sure she got them all because I lived a long distance away and don't make it to the mall often. When I returned home, sure enough, there was still a magnetic tag on a pair of jeans. Since I work 60 hour weeks and don't drive the 21/2 hours to JC Penny often I asked several managers if they would send me a shipping label to return the jeans with the magnetic tag and send me a new pair that does not have a magnetic tag on them. Apparently, JC Penny, an on line shipping store and a traditionally mail order company, can't do that. This will be my last shopping trip at this store.