Best Company Guarantee JCPenney Logo

JCPenney

7.1

LAST UPDATED: May 19th, 2022

JCPenney has been in business since 1902. It serves customers at approximately 840 stores across the United States and Puerto Rico, and online at jcp.com. Its operations are supported by a variety of U.S. and internationally based support facilities, including its home office in Plano, Texas.

JCPenney has undergone several transformations over its more than 100 years in business. In 1963, it issued its first mail order catalog, influencing the way Americans would shop for decades. And then in 1994, JPenney evolved again as one of the first national retailers to embrace e-commerce by launching jcp.com. Today JCPenney stores are mainly located in shopping malls and do a large amount of business online.

In recent years JCPenney has faced a slew of financial issues as the retail industry has changed rapidly. In May 2020 JCPenney filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection and announced that it would close 242 stores. In September 2020, the retail chain was purchased by two large property groups. Its stores and e-commerce site are operating as usual.

JCPenney sells clothing, shoes, accessories and household items. Its website also sells a large range of jewelry, salon items, and Sephora Beauty products. Customers should be aware that its stores vary in their offerings. Not all stores feature add-ons such as their optical departments, photography studios, JCP Salon, and Sephora Beauty.

The fashion industry is responsible for 10 percent of humanity’s carbon emissions each year, and this impact is growing. JCPenney is one of the largest purchasers of clothing, shoes, accessories and household items to be sold in the United States and Puerto Rico and is dedicated to ethical and environmentally friendly sourcing for the goods it sells. Customers can review information related to JCPenney’s standards on its website.

The Good

• Clothing Competitively Priced
  • More Than 100 Years of Retail Experience
  • Free Shipping Offered on Orders Over $49

Clothing Competitively Priced

JCPenney, as one of the most experienced clothing retailer, provides its customers with great low prices for quality merchandise. For example, tuxedos that could cost hundreds of dollars from other online clothing wholesalers can be purchased for far less. You are able to purchase nice tuxedos, especially the Stafford brand, near rental prices. This is a great option for a customer who might not have big bucks to spend on a prom, wedding, or other special occasion. There are lots of options for items beyond clothing. Besides men, women, children, and baby clothing products, there are also bed and bath products, furniture, and other items for around the home.

More Than 100 Years of Retail Experience

Being in business for several decades has benefited JCPenney throughout its transition to the online store shopping world. The company regularly responds to customer complaints and works on repairing the client-company relationship when a poor customer experience has occurred. Because of this, JCPenney has an excellent customer service reputation. The company has consistently responded to customer complaints politely, timely, and worked effectively to fix issues the right way.

Free Shipping Offered on Orders Over $49

JCPenney offers a number of different shipping options, including standard (three to five business days), premium (three business days), express (one or two business days). When shopping online, free shipping is offered for orders that total over $49. Orders that qualify for free shipping are shipped via its Standard Delivery 3–5 business day method. Eligible customers must select this option in checkout in order to receive free shipping. Free shipping excludes truck-delivered items and may also exclude select manufacturer delivered items based on participation.

There is also the option of ordering something online and then picking it up at a JCPenney Store. JCPenney stores offer curbside pick up as well. Customers must place orders by 3 p.m. for free pickup at their local store. This makes getting your item relatively easy and fast.

The Bad

• Shipping and Delivery Issues
  • Restocking Fees
  • Review Tool

Shipping and Delivery Issues

JCPenney’s online reviews include many complaints regarding shipping and receiving issues. Some complaints regarded the slow shipping of certain items. Complaints like these usually indicate a pattern of problems with inventory and distribution center processes, and the complaint resolutions made it sound like JCPenney is working on this.

Restocking Fees

There are problems involving restocking fees for some certain products. For example, there is a restocking fee for returning furniture. Customers should be able to return unused furniture without a restocking fee if they find that it wasn't a good fit for them. Smaller items, like clothes, don't have as many issues with this however.

Review Tool

Not very many customers used the online review tool for JCPenney products. It would enhance the shopping experience if information about products that customers have purchased was readily available on the site; this information helps customers determine whether or not a product is a good fit for them.

The Bottom Line

Overall, we definitely recommend JCPenney to those shopping for low-end to mid-range priced clothing. Although the company has experienced a slight decline due to the disappearance of the catalog industry, we found that they have a great selection of clothes online. One of the nice things about JCPenney is that you can purchase regular products like special occasion dresses or tuxedos for close to their rental prices.

We also liked that JCPenney has done a great job with customer service. We found that the company was significantly beating Nordstrom when it came to keeping customers happy. Also, the rewards program is not "exclusive." You do have to spend a certain amount of money at each service level in the rewards program on the store credit card, but there are many great perks with the rewards program.

bestcompany guarantee

Best Company guarantees your satisfaction if you choose a company that has earned this distinction. If you're not satisfied after 30 days, simply let us know and we'll give you $100. Yes, it's really that simple.

Learn More

3.9

Robert Mott

My mom always took me to J.C. Penney when I was a kid. When I started shopping on my own it has always been J.C. Penneys and still is to this day. Now though with my busy schedule I'm still able to shop at their website and find all the styles I love.

Jaelyn Morris Tallahassee, FL

JCPenny has affordable clothing for everyone in the family. I can shop for children in my family as well as myself. I always find cute clothes at JCPenny and will continue to shop there.

Mario Martin Houston, TX

I'm not sure when I became an online shopper, but could not be more than a year. JCP has been a personal shopping destination for me since my youth. Recently, I noticed that there had been fewer JCP store locations that were convenient for me. Curiously, I went online and was simply amazed at the quality selection, sales and services that made my shopping experience more enjoyable and convenient. Since then, I've become a regular shopper at JCP online.

Marci Randall Sandy, UT

I have been shopping at JCP since I was a kid! I remember school shopping there when I was small and now I take my kids there. The clothes are quality and reasonably priced. It is one clothing store credit card I have!

AlisaD Salt Lake City, UT

Lots of different clothes in store to choose from. I've ordered clothes online and then picked up in store to try on. Customer service was great in returning clothing items.

Laurel Dalton Salt Lake City, UT

JCPenny has wonderful clothing. It has name-brand items that are reduced to sale prices. As a business student, this is very helpful because I need professional clothing, but I don't always have the budget for such items. JCPenny helps ease that burden as I know I can find quality items for a lower price.

JJ Jenkins Glendale, AZ

I love the brand Saint Johns Bay and Dag Harbor from HCPenney. They always have clothes for me, a 56 year old woman, who wants to look stylish and be comfortable. I also believe that their prices are reasonable and they offer lots of sales.

Gia Regina Waco, TX

I’ve shopped at JCPenney’s for decades. It’s budget friendly and there is a good variety of designers. Their clothing is also long lasting.

enelson3903 Bowie, MD

JCPenney is a good store. Their customer service is excellent, and they are very responsive with online orders. The pries are very reasonable, and I love the men's clothing line.

Chad Edgar Wentzville, MO

Well I go here sometimes to get name brain clothes and shoes for something nice to wear on occasion a lot of women's clothing in there thek ladies customer service

Guy Salt Lake City, UT

JC Penny’s is always my go to for school uniforms. Thank you so always have a great selection of sizes available including hard to find husky sizes.

Brynlee Dalton Herriman, UT

I love JCPenney so much! There are so many different products to choose from! Personally, I like the sweaters. But there are many other options as well! JCPenney is the place to shop if you want amazing products!

Brynlee Dalton Riverton, UT

JCPenney is SUCH a good company! There is a huge variety of products! I especially like their sweaters. From awesome shirts, to athletic pants, there really is something for everyone! I love JCPenney so much!

Paula Pili Provo, UT

This is a seasoned store they have some great deals on suits I bought my nephew his first suit Under $50 I bought some shirts and ties to go with it Their sales are pretty awesome Just wish their customer service matched. Unless they believe in “leave the customer alone theory “ No one was helpful when I went. I went to the Provo Mall. Prices are awesome! Definitely great deals for the whole family even “Big Papa” I would give them a 5***** rating if it weren’t for their horrible customer service.

Brittney Mac Gregor Louisville, KY

I know that I can get quality clothing at JCPenny's. I have shopped there for years, since I was a child. It has become a passed on tradition to do a big shop at JCPenny's twice a year, once for summer clothing and once for winter clothing. I find great clothes for my kids. I did have to take a star away however, because now that I am older, I have gained quite a bit of weight and am in plus size now. The selection of plus size clothing is poor. Often, I make a wasted trip out because I am unable to find anything appealing for my size that is in my age range (early 30s). I wish that they would offer trendier clothing for younger plus size women. Unfortunately the selection looks to be targeted towards overweight senior citizens, excluding the younger generation.

Kristiane R Durfey Orem, UT

JC Penny is a good company and I am able to order and buy with confidence from them. They offer quality clothing and have a good return policy if I ever need to use it.

Amelia C Anchorage, AK

I always buy so much whenever I go to JCPenny. They have such trendy items with great prices. What more could you ask for?!

James Tuttle Kingman, AZ

I shop there often . Love the quality of there clothing.

Anoushka Ahuja Orlando, FL

I picked up a few dresses on sale and they are priced well and I got a lie of compliments too bad the Penny’s closed in my neighborhood mall we will miss shopping there

M. Nielsen South Bend, IN

I love the selection at JCPenney. I usually purchase online and am always very happy with the quality and the quickness of the shipping. I will be doing quite a bit of my Christmas shopping there this year as well.

Toni Montuori

Pennys is a tradition and staple when you know what you need bc you also know you can get it there. I’ve been happy for decades with their selection, prices, store appearance and the floor staff are always polite and helpful.

Nyla C. Edison, NJ

I loved the store, working here was great and I hope to get back to it soon. The environment was very nice and I felt I could work fast paced here. Managers are very helpful and there are discounts for employees as well. Their selection is nice and affordable too.

Keante Mooney Petal, MS

I have ordered about 3 different online orders with in a month and a half frame . I can honestly say I have recieved every order in a very timely fashion which is very impressing because im sure because of school starting back im sure things are very busy. I had one order where I recieved all items but one so I called online customer service and I got a lady name Mychell and she did an amazing job making sure she got me what I was missing . It took less than five min and she had it taken care of . Good job Mychell we need more customer service reps like you !!!!

Tami Allen Gilbert, AZ

JC Penney is one of my favorite stores to shop at because they have a wide selection of clothing for all ages, and brands that fit a wide variety of women especially. I am a middle aged woman, who can't shop in the Juniors section anymore and find anything that fits. But at JC Penney, I can find clothes that are reasonably priced and fashionable in my size. I usually stop at JC Penney when I take the kids school shopping because in one stop, we can get almost everything we need, shoes, clothes, makeup, jewelry, etc. I love the convenience and the quality that JC Penney offers, and especially the low prices.

Connor Smith Palm City, FL

JCPenny has a great variety of clothing for the whole family. All their clothes wash well and stay looking new like the first day we bought them.

Abigail Land Tallahassee, FL

Great selection of quality merchandise. The staff is very friendly and will give good recommendations and help you find exactly what you are looking for.

HC Brana Sanford, FL

Even though JC Penney has changed their looks, it is a great place to shop for reasonable prices. Their customer service is not so great. There is a long wait at the counter if you are picking up orders placed on line or you can't find anyone in the entire store. The merchandize goes from great value.quality to the worst in the market.

David Cape Coral, FL

J.C. Penney has been steadily on a decline for years. Each year they drop product lines they used to carry until, they have become basically a cheap clothing store. Like most of the stores today they want to sell you a credit card more than the products they carry. The clothing they carry, has become so cheaply made that it seldom last a full year of use. I remember the days where you could walk into their stores and be assured you could find just about any product you wanted from furniture to Clothing and Electronics at a reasonable price and good quality. Those days are over.

Lisa C Johnson Catonsville, MD

Customer service is amazing. The employees always greet me at the store. The variety of clothes are great. I buy most of my clothes here. I love the coupons that you can use on sale items. Used to be able to use them on discontinued item. Overall the prices are very good for the quality.

Steve Ashby Portland, OR

I think JCP is underrated for clothing. Every time I go there I find great deals on great items. You have to work the sales but if you do it is worth it. I found great puffy coats last year that cost around $15, and the best part is they don't have any goofy logos on them for some random brand name. Why would I want to advertise anything but the top brands? I also found a great coat for my wife that rivals anything you'll see on a Hallmark Christmas movie!

JOHN M CAMPBELL ,

I've been ordering products through their online catalog for many years. I have them delivered to my local store with no associated shipping fees and they are quick to fill the orders. But the best thing is the Customer Service. They make it so easy to return things and they quickly credit your card with the refund.

Alicia Holman Gilbert, AZ

Although the store is packed full of stuff, the prices are good and the variety is good as well. The men's clothes are especially good for Big Men. They also have a lot to offer for branded items like NFL, NBA, etc which is sometimes hard to find. If you're looking to get new curtains or a rug, it's a good place to find an inexpensive item as well.

Lindsey Andersen Provo, UT

I absolutely LOVE that JCPenney has been including plus size models on their Instagram page. They have great options and prices. You can return anything in the store that you bought online. You can go to Sephora inside JCPenney for makeup. I'm there all the time, and you can do it online as well!

Kory Staheli

I am a big fan of JC Pennys. Their online store is user friendly and they offer a wide variety of clothing options at great prices -- especially if you watch for the sales. I have also been pleased with their customer service. I had to return an item recently and they made it quick and hassle free. The customer service representative I worked with was both competent and friendly.

Kenneth Okerlund

I have never had a bad experience with employees at JCPenney. Although they don't always have what I am looking for, I still really enjoy going and taking a look because more often than not I find what I want at a very good price.

anupam sumessur Curtis Bay, MD

I love going to JCPenney with my family as we all get what you want there.

Shauna Horne American Fork, UT

I really like that JC Penney carries the Liz Claiborne line of clothes. I buy a lot of my clothing there because of it. They almost always have a sale on the clothes too, which I really appreciate. They also have a great selection of shoes and handbags. My husband likes the Arizona brand of jeans that JC Penney carries so he likes to shop there too.

kristin Gneiting Pleasant Grove, UT

I love shopping online at JCPenney because of the online coupons that they list right on their website! The shipping is always reasonable if you want things shipped right to your house, but you can also have things shipped to the store for free. Holiday shopping is a must at JCPenney online because of the deals you find and it beats going out and fighting the crowds. I have never had a problem with getting things late, my items have always arrived in a timely manner.

Jacks Friend Riverton, UT

Love that I can order clothes from JC penney from the comfort of my own home. Great styles for me and my kids

Grace Citrus Heights, CA

JCPenney's has been one of my most favorite stores for many years. They have great sales on quality products.

Kim Miller Fayetteville, AR

My experience with JCPenney's is not good my father bought my mother a ring in December he also bought the extended warranty and paid $90 for it to be sized my father died in May after my father died my mother and I took the ring into JCPenney's to be sent off to be sized it was the last piece he ever bought her and JCPenney's locked it and will not make it right you all are not a family ordinated company and do not care about your customers no wonder you're going out of business

Caloway Salt Lake City, UT

JCPenny has very good clothing and it is normally easy to find a good deal on jeans or shirts. I go there for the clothes so I don't know much about what else they have to offer. The clothes can be pricey but are of good quality. The staff have always been friendly and helpful.

Austin Stelmach Boulder, CO

JC Penny, although similar to other department stores, has THE best clothing items. They are constantly updating their fashion and still have some of the lowest prices. I love shopping here.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

JCPenney offers all the great brands online. They are a staple in american fashion and offer it at great prices. The site is organized well and offers great pics to show off the clothing well. Delivery is quick too making JCPenney a great place to start shopping online.

Pamela M Mercer Plainfield, IN

I was in the Plainfield Indiana store today and they have the area roped off at the registers for people to wait for check out. I was lined up by the sign and they took a customer from the exit instead. When it was my turn I ask the cashier if they were taking from both sides not she said no. I stated they had taken the other people from the exit before me. She said they had been waiting there. I know in fact that they were right in front of me heading to the register and they stopped at the exit and I went ahead and were to the entrance. That I could over look but when I ask why some customers followed the rules and others did not. The cashier smarted off to me about it. I said no wonder JC Penney's is going out of business and she stated this one is not in a snotty way. She never thanked me for my business. No wonder the stores are having to close when I can sit at home order the product and not be bothered by people who do not want to follow the rules and the snotty help! When I got home I called the store and asked for the manager and was put to a voicemail. The store was not that busy. I left my name and what I was calling about and my phone number about 2:30 and I still have not heard back from him.

LK East Lansing, MI

I ordered an item online to pick-up in store. The instructions claimed that the item would be ready either that day or the next. Time goes along, and I still have not received an email. I called the JCPenney (which in this case was located at Lansing Mall) to sort this out, as I'm traveling back home and will need the item by the end of the week. I ordered it on a Friday, and called on the next Wednesday, with still no word. The associate I spoke to was very accommodating and said that they could just cancel my online order since they had 2 items in store matching what I ordered. Unfortunately when I drove 25 minutes to get to this location the items they claimed to have were nowhere to be found. The only person who seemed to know what to do was a manager, who took me upstairs to the online order backstock to find out that my order was just sitting there. I am very thankful for this manager's help but overall just very frustrated with this JCPenney and will probably never go to that store, nor use the online ordering service again.

Ingrid Salisbury, NC

I Order items on November 23, 2018, to be delivery to the store got confirmation that the order was place and should be getting notification of it's delivery. A week later call customer service and was told that my delivery should be at the store by Thursday of the following week and someone at the store will give me a call to let me know that my order is ready to be pick up well the week can and left, so Friday December 7, 2018 I call customer service to see if they can give me some information on where my order is, I got the worst customer service ever, she was not trying to help me find my order, she said that they can not track to see if it was delivery to the store, she did not do anything to keep the customer satisfied, and hang up on me. After talking to a supervisor I did find out that the order was at the store and ready for pick up. (but still not know why I did not get that call of email notification). Here is the kicker once I pick up the order JCPENNY email thanking me for picking up my order. Now if they can not track to see if my order was delivered how can they track to see if I pick up my order. WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER!!!!! I Shop a lot at JCPENNY during this time of the year, but I may have to rethink this :(

Lucy Yang Hickory, NC

This is the 2nd time that I have used the same day pick up service available on the website and my order was not ready for pick up within the promised 4 hrs. 2 days ago I purchased 3 items online for same day pick up. When I called to see if my order was ready, 24 hrs after I had ordered it, the manager tells me that it wasn't ready and for me to call back at 3pm. When I called back at 3 pm, the phone just rang and rang and went to voicemail. I called a few times and no answer. At 7pm, I decided to go into the store to pick up my items. The clerks then, told me that they couldn't find my order, they were unsure if it was ready for pick up and had no clue of the status. Then they told me that maybe I had not selected the same day pick up option and made a mistake to have it to shipped to the store instead. I couldn't get any phone reception to check my order online, so I walked out of the store and verified that I had selected the same day pick up. I had to walk back in the store to tell them, I did pick the same day pick up option. . After a whole hour, they called the manager who then says, one of my items were not available, therefore my order did not process. I did not receive any notifications that my order did not process. When I checked my credit card, my purchase order was pending charges. They then told me that I had to purchase the items again, and would give me the sale price I got it for online. It was such a hassle and so inconvenient and so unprofessional. I don't want to deal with JC Penny's same day pick up no more.

Auditi Gilbert, AZ

JCPenney always has sales going on, but not the best items. You are going to have to look for good clothes. Items that are currently popular seem to be more expensive. They have a nice collection of wallets, purses and jewelry.

Mouna Franklin, WI

Dipti had been extremely helpful at the South Ridge Mall location in greenfield WI. I am very happy with the quality and service that JC Penny is still committed to regardless of all the changes in other stores.