H&M is a clothing retail company that is based out of Switzerland. They operate several stores in 53 different countries. H&M is the second largest clothing retail in the store and ranks slightly higher than GAP, a US based company. We found that H&M is upgrading their stores throughout the US. A recent store that opened up in Hawaii in March of 2014 has unique artwork from local Hawaiian artists, a commentary on the cultural life of Hawaii. H&M prides itself on making each regional or area store unique to the locale.

There are many good things about H&M in terms of its corporate DNA. They control all of their retail operations in Europe, making sure that the right number of products is produced. This results in a high availability of their items online at a reasonable price. We also found that on the H&M website that there were very few items that were sold out. There is nothing more frustrating for a customer when they see a special item on sale that is no longer available.

H&M also prides itself on charity. They have a partnership with UNICEF and have raised more than $5 million for that organization. This was one of the few charity-friendly online clothing retailers that we found while doing research for this review process.

#1 Old Navy chevron_right
#2 Nike chevron_right
#3 Target chevron_right

The Good

• Low Prices
  • Valuable Promotions
  • H&M has Been in Business Over 16 Years

H&M has a loyal fan base for many reasons, some of which includes:

Low Prices

Finding items of clothing at an affordable price is one of if not the most important aspects of a particular store. H&M excels in this category while maintaining high standards of quality and trendiness. Prices vary between categories, but it's reasonable to see t-shirts and long-sleeve shirts available for a low $5 to $12. There is a large number of products listed on their website. The product search tool helps locate clothing type, brand, and what other customers have purchased. You can also see other items that are particularly a good fit from similar clothing items of your choosing. There are several unique designers featured as H&M products, including Versace. They frequently reach out to designers in the industry to make items that would be appropriate fits for their stores.

Valuable Promotions

As you shop online through the H&M catalog, you will be greeted warmly with multiple promotions designed to help you save money. For example, currently H&M has a promotion that allows shoppers to save 30% off their purchase. Another promotion gives you 20% off when you sign up for their newsletter. These and other promotions are time sensitive but thankfully are replaced with other, sometimes even better, promotions when time runs out.

H&M has Been in Business over 16 Years

The online clothing business can be a challenge to break into and develop a passionate and loyal customer base. H&M has been able to do this over the past 16 years they have been operating in the United States. Their processes for both in-store and online over the years should give potential shoppers an element of confidence as they become customers. Shopping for clothes online can be a messy business with returns and refunds, and their rating indicates adequate customer resolution practices being in place currently. H&M also provides clothing options for men, women, and kids. This allows their store to become more of a one-stop shop for families searching for clothes.

The Bad

• Average Return Policy
  • H&M Does Not Offer Free Shipping

H&M falls short in two distinct areas:

Average Return Policy

While H&M has low prices and trendy products make them an enticing company to shop from, their return policy is average at best. Their return policy states 30 days being given from a purchase date to when a return will no longer be accepted. H&M does not accept items that have been worn or damaged. While there are stores who have policies much longer and shorter than this, their policy falls right in the middle of the road as far as valuable return policies are concerned. Another unfortunate feature is you can't return items purchased online in the physical store nor can you mail in store items in order to get a refund. This makes the return process frustrating for some customers.

H&M Does Not Offer Free Shipping

No free shipping option is included on their website. However, as you dig deeper into their policy it's relatively easy to see why it would be valuable to many shoppers nevertheless. Most orders are delivered within 3 to 5 business days (an additional 2 days should be given for rural addresses) and there is a flat shipping rate of $5.95 regardless of the size and weight of your package. If you have a heavy, possibly more expensive order, you won't be breaking the bank even without a free shipping option.

The Bottom Line

Overall, H&M is recommended to those searching for clothing items that are affordable and stylish. Their merchandise and costs are extremely competitive, their sale items were not frequently selling out, and customers can find deals on items and not worry about a "sold out" mark on that sale item they are wanting to purchase. However, the H&M return policy has less to be desired and they do not offer free shipping. Regardless, H&M is a solid online clothing store option that will help you look stylish and save money.

3.7

Holly Buckson

August 21st, 2018 Elkton, MD DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I'm upset that I had to choose one star for H & M. I ordered a pair of maternity jeans in a size 8, and they sent a size 10. They were on clearance, and as an expecting mother, I am in need of a good deal. I purchased them for $9.99, which I thought was a steal. When I received them, I was sent the wrong size, a 10, which I had already ordered large considering weight gain during pregnancy. I'm usually a 4/6, so I was swimming in the 10. The customer service representatives were horrible. No pregnant woman deserves to be stressed out to the point of tears, but that's what happened when they basically tried to justify their mistake by saying that I was at fault because they changed the size chart, and the 10 was new size of the old 8. I have no idea why I was to blame for ordering a size 8 and being a sent a size 10, so I insisted that I wanted the 8, not the 10. Well, guess what. Now my size isn't available, so what do they do? Instead of price matching another pair of maternity jeans, they offer me 10% off my next purchase. So, with the cheapest pair of maternity pants being $25 clearance, I could get a whopping $4 off and pay more than double what I had paid for the pants I ordered on time in my size. How nice! But, wait. There's a plus, I could spend even MORE money and get the 10% off my entire purchase. Well, needless to say, I wasn't happy, and so I spoke to the manager who basically had the same thing to say, but with quite the attitude. My husband and I spend quite a bit of money in this store, and now they are losing our business and that of our friends and family.

Lesa Burgess

August 20th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I ordered off H&M online store and the item took about 2 weeks to arrive. The items that arrived were exactly what was described online. Size fit perfectly & so no complaints there. I would give this online service 3 stars.

Bella Houtz

August 18th, 2018 South Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The clothing is good and it has a very good price point! highly recommend shopping here! the coustomer service is also good for the most part

Natasha Klimovych

August 4th, 2018 Rathdrum, ID DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love h&m , love the clothes and how you cam get a good deal. But i absolutely hate when ordering online and your items have arrived but they tend to always not send 1-3 items. Like there out of stock when in fact there not and i have to reorder those items. It pisses me off so bad and im waisting my time and money!!! I would give a 2 star but because the clothes are great and so are the prices its a 4.

Anila

August 2nd, 2018

Worst return or exchange policy. It's unbelievable they can't even exchange the size without the receipt. Worst return policy staff is very rude. Will not shop there again.

Ana Arroyo

July 19th, 2018 Kilgore, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Horrible horrible experience. This is my first time going into the store and I was really excited but when I went to purchase they did not correctly charge me right. It wasn't until I got back home which is an hour away that I realize they charged me more for an item when it was on sale. I called customer service and they gave me a hard time and told me that there was nothing they could do and that the receipt was correct and I told them it was on sale but they didn't believe me. All they did was run me in circles. So I will definitely not be shopping here again. I've had better service at better stores with better customer representatives. It's a shame the way they treat their customers.

Amy Stewart

July 4th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have loved shopping at H&M and the value of the clothing that is offered. I really love that they mark down their clothing and put them on sale. This is wonderful

lakerriyia mumford

July 2nd, 2018 Norfolk, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Hey , my name LAkerriyia Mumford Recent i was Attack By the police in H&M from No Reason I Also Had my Kids With Me I was so embarrassed I had Just Spend $60 in that store. now I have 3 charges Because A white Employee Lied On me I’m A Black if as she was being racists.. I will never shop in here again I was in jail. For 8hr .. I had to bond myself out and I called the H&M hotline cop office number they was very nast with me and also hung up on me saying i was lien

Alicia Holman

June 22nd, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I think they have good prices on their clothes, but they are so packed in the stores that it's sometimes hard to find your way around the store. Also, the men's clothes are all over the place as far as styling. I do think the clothes are made fairly well for what you pay.

Tessa Treanor

June 10th, 2018 Salem, UT

H & M is a very good store. I always shop there. they have good costumer service.

Tami Allen

June 9th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

I love shopping at H&M because there is truly something for everyone, no matter your age. They have a wide selection of products for different types of men and women, and their wide range of sizes reflect that everyone is different. I love that I can go there with my teenage girls and find just as much to buy as they do. I also love the fact that they keep prices low, even though their clothes are a little bit higher end. My clothes I've bought there have been high quality, and have stood up to numerous washings.

Tom

June 9th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Great selection, my girls and wife love it. I don’t because I fit better in big and tall.

Easton Fowler

June 9th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

H and M had quality clothes for an overall good price. Whenever I go to H and M I can almost always find what I am looking for and for an affordable price. The costumer service is great and I would recommend this store to anyone.

Adam Crawley

June 8th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

H&M is a great store to go and get fashionable and cheap clothing; however, the quality is not always the best. I've had suits fall apart very quickly from this store. Be careful not to spend too much money here.

Avery Fowler

June 7th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

H&M is my go to clothing store. I love their variety of clothing and their jeans and very good quality and a very good price!

Preston Fowler

June 6th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

H&M always has the perfect style of clothes for me I love their style of jeans that they have, and I can always find what I need.

Nana Asiata

June 5th, 2018 Herriman, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

H&M has great quality clothing. The have a wide variety that you can chose from and so can the whole family.

Joanna Hester

June 5th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have three girls and this is their favorite store because their clothes always reflect the latest styles. I love it too because the prices are so low.

CAROLE SCOVILLE

June 5th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love the variety here, but it is almost a little too overwhelming to try and find anything because there is SO much!

Sadie Scoville

June 4th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This clothing store has EXTREMELY great quality and all for a price that everyone can afford.

Brooke Hester

June 4th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Super cheap and super cute clothes!! Great service too!!

Amelia Gibson

June 1st, 2018 South Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I like this company because of their wide variety of choices.

Kristin

May 31st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The prices are good but the quality of the clothes is cheap.

L. Fowler

May 30th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love H&M for the prices of their clothes and uniqueness of their designs. It has very cute clothing for all ages at affordable prices. I love their sales too!

Noelle

May 27th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Love shopping here! I get the cutest clothes there and they are cheap.

Bella Houtz

May 26th, 2018 South Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

H and M is such a great store we love the variety and what it has to offer us.

P Crawley

May 26th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My teenagers love shopping here. Their clothes are a great value and good quality.

H Moore

May 26th, 2018 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I think I've spent more money at H&M than any other clothing store. Great for tall teens!

Ashley

May 25th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

H&M’s have really good prices, but the quality of clothing isn’t the best.

Samantha

May 3rd, 2018 Millville, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Their website is easy to navigate! I have had to ask customer service questions and they’re super helpful every time!

Doom Truong

May 1st, 2018 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

All clothes here seem to be cheap. Not only with pricing but quality. The only thing that I really like here is their slacks and suit coats.

K Robison

April 29th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Good clothing for teenagers. Great prices especially around the new school year.

Erin Rhoton

April 25th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

H&M is a great place to buy trendy clothes at a really cheap price. Unfortunately, the quality isn't great but it's worth the money.

Michelle Hawker

April 24th, 2018 Las Vegas, NV DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Love H&M online. They have a wide variety online and I can always find my size. There is usually some sort of online discount being offered. Of course, the clothes are not always the best fabric/quality, but price reflects that. It is easy to find a free shipping code for regular shipping. I love that I can return items purchased online to the store.

Samantha Steele

April 22nd, 2018 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Awful!! 1st order didn't progress after 4 days so rang customer service. Told me it had got stuck in the system and would need to re-order, told me money wouldn't be claimed from card, even gave me a free next day delivery code for re-order. Re-ordered and arrived next day - all good I'm thinking until the original order then turns up 5 days later and they have charged me for it. When I rang customer service again they said 'oh take it to your nearest store' (22 miles away!) not our fault you paid by credit card so basically suck up paying the interest for two lots of £300 order! Actual words also: 'we're not going to give you a good will gesture as we didn't expect it to arrive to you' - well maybe just a 'sorry this has happened' would have been enough! Looks like all the other terrible reviews are correct. Will be returning everything due to horrid customer service.

Lauren Gull

April 20th, 2018 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They have awesome clothes for super cheap but sometimes they don’t last very long

Natalie Dillon

April 19th, 2018 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The website for H&M is pretty well organized. It has a huge selection, and its prices are fair. The quality of the products is pretty poor, but considering the low prices it is not too bad. I will continue to shop there because I know I can usually find something for any type of occasion I am looking for. I have had a lot of clothing rip, but if I didn't pay very much for it in the first place, I don't mind as much.

Anne Marie Milne

April 17th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

H&M is one of my favorite stores. I love to go to Farmington station and Shop there. They have everything you could ever imagine.. I love to shop for my little nephew who is a year old. Their cloths are amazing the qualitiy is awesome. Their customer services absolutely out of this world amazing.

Amanda

April 16th, 2018 Sherwood, OR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Love H&M! Great selection of clothes! I especially love their underware and bras selections! Very affordable and durable on top of looking really nice!

Chase H

April 16th, 2018 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great for Chinos or sweatshirts... basically any material that feels a bit more durable. Any thinner material shirts, don't bother. They wrinkle too easy. A lot of the clothing just seems cheap quality. Good prices though. I do like the 15% discount for donating old clothes though.

Michael

April 15th, 2018 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

A lot of selection. Clothes are priced cheaper

Hayden Danger Barton

April 14th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Feel like everyone shops here. Price are iffy

Brette

April 9th, 2018 Draper, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have found that the prices here are very cheap but so is the quality of their clothing

Sandra Cunliffe

April 7th, 2018 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Tried jeans on in store, but as I have long legs I had to order longer length on line (not stocked in stores). When the jeans arrived three pairs were no longer than those in store (should have been 2 inches longer), one pair was one inch longer but there were flaws in the denim. Returned items in store and asked about refund of P&P, assistant said - phone customer services. Phoned customer services and was told I could only have a refund of P&P if I had used the freepost returns service!!!!

Landon Robison

April 7th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My wife and I shop here a lot. They always have great deals, so we get a lot of clothes for a minimal price. I would especially recommend going around the holidays when they have awesome deals. Customer service is great as well.

fanny

March 20th, 2018 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I ordered a few items online including a pair of sandals; I received the sandals a size bigger; number one issue which is absolutely ridiculous for a well known store is that you cannot exchange or return in store !!!! you have to go thru so much hassle to return it back online and you have to pay for shipping; the bigger issue is that the customer service is absolutely awful; they are rude and unhelpful; refused to give my money back even tho it was their mistake demanding that i should return it online to be able to get my money back; it was their mistake to send me the wrong size! I am to waste my time to return the item at a mail office?? are you kidding me; absolutely ridiculous. H&M lost me as a costumer; in store or online; I will never shop from them again and I shop a lot!!! big loss!!!!!

Send Clues

March 16th, 2018 Denver, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

H&M steals intellectual property from artists. When the artists complain H&M threatens them with criminal charges and expensive legal burdens. H&M is corrupt and unethical, DO NOT SUPPORT THIS IMMORAL COMPANY.

M Ward

February 22nd, 2018 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Terrible customer service and complaints procedure is a waste of time. Staff are unhelpful, rude and tell lies to cover their bad behaviour. Will not shop with them again.

A.L

February 6th, 2018 Chicago, IL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

AVOID THIS MERCHANT AT ALL COST, ONCE YOU SUPPLY YOUR DEBIT OR CREDIT CARD INFORMATION, YOUR CARD HAS BEEN COMPROMISED. IF YOU CANNOT PAY CASH, WALK AWAY. TRUST ME THIS IS NOT A FAKE WARNING. SORRY FOR TYPING IN CAPS.

Mel

January 24th, 2018 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Terrible customer service. Even if you have the Reciept and items with tags attached and bags which items are shipped in, you’ll still only get store credit and not the way you paid which the receipt shows.....