H&M is a clothing retail company that is based out of Switzerland. They operate several stores in 53 different countries. H&M is the second largest clothing retail in the store and ranks slightly higher than GAP, a US based company. We found that H&M is upgrading their stores throughout the US. A recent store that opened up in Hawaii in March of 2014 has unique artwork from local Hawaiian artists, a commentary on the cultural life of Hawaii. H&M prides itself on making each regional or area store unique to the locale.

There are many good things about H&M in terms of its corporate DNA. They control all of their retail operations in Europe, making sure that the right number of products is produced. This results in a high availability of their items online at a reasonable price. We also found that on the H&M website that there were very few items that were sold out. There is nothing more frustrating for a customer when they see a special item on sale that is no longer available.

H&M also prides itself on charity. They have a partnership with UNICEF and have raised more than $5 million for that organization. This was one of the few charity-friendly online clothing retailers that we found while doing research for this review process.

#1 Old Navy chevron_right
#3 Nike chevron_right

The Good

• Low Prices
  • Valuable Promotions
  • H&M has Been in Business Over 16 Years

H&M has a loyal fan base for many reasons, some of which includes:

Low Prices

Finding items of clothing at an affordable price is one of if not the most important aspects of a particular store. H&M excels in this category while maintaining high standards of quality and trendiness. Prices vary between categories, but it's reasonable to see t-shirts and long-sleeve shirts available for a low $5 to $12. There is a large number of products listed on their website. The product search tool helps locate clothing type, brand, and what other customers have purchased. You can also see other items that are particularly a good fit from similar clothing items of your choosing. There are several unique designers featured as H&M products, including Versace. They frequently reach out to designers in the industry to make items that would be appropriate fits for their stores.

Valuable Promotions

As you shop online through the H&M catalog, you will be greeted warmly with multiple promotions designed to help you save money. For example, currently H&M has a promotion that allows shoppers to save 30% off their purchase. Another promotion gives you 20% off when you sign up for their newsletter. These and other promotions are time sensitive but thankfully are replaced with other, sometimes even better, promotions when time runs out.

H&M has Been in Business over 16 Years

The online clothing business can be a challenge to break into and develop a passionate and loyal customer base. H&M has been able to do this over the past 16 years they have been operating in the United States. Their processes for both in-store and online over the years should give potential shoppers an element of confidence as they become customers. Shopping for clothes online can be a messy business with returns and refunds, and their rating indicates adequate customer resolution practices being in place currently. H&M also provides clothing options for men, women, and kids. This allows their store to become more of a one-stop shop for families searching for clothes.

The Bad

• Average Return Policy
  • H&M Does Not Offer Free Shipping

H&M falls short in two distinct areas:

Average Return Policy

While H&M has low prices and trendy products make them an enticing company to shop from, their return policy is average at best. Their return policy states 30 days being given from a purchase date to when a return will no longer be accepted. H&M does not accept items that have been worn or damaged. While there are stores who have policies much longer and shorter than this, their policy falls right in the middle of the road as far as valuable return policies are concerned. Another unfortunate feature is you can't return items purchased online in the physical store nor can you mail in store items in order to get a refund. This makes the return process frustrating for some customers.

H&M Does Not Offer Free Shipping

No free shipping option is included on their website. However, as you dig deeper into their policy it's relatively easy to see why it would be valuable to many shoppers nevertheless. Most orders are delivered within 3 to 5 business days (an additional 2 days should be given for rural addresses) and there is a flat shipping rate of $5.95 regardless of the size and weight of your package. If you have a heavy, possibly more expensive order, you won't be breaking the bank even without a free shipping option.

The Bottom Line

Overall, H&M is recommended to those searching for clothing items that are affordable and stylish. Their merchandise and costs are extremely competitive, their sale items were not frequently selling out, and customers can find deals on items and not worry about a "sold out" mark on that sale item they are wanting to purchase. However, the H&M return policy has less to be desired and they do not offer free shipping. Regardless, H&M is a solid online clothing store option that will help you look stylish and save money.

3.3

Shelly Zollinger
October 30th, 2017 Kaysville, UT DETAILS

great store for christmas gifts fpr my teenagers. Great service. always a good selection to choose from

Landon
October 27th, 2017 Centerville, UT DETAILS

I love H&M for their jeans. It's the only place I will buy jeans from because they're very comfortable and stretchy. Also they are very affordable, I have multiple pairs.

Shalese
October 27th, 2017 Provo, UT DETAILS

Always get complements on my clothes from H&M. They always have cute stuff on sale too.

Cher
October 25th, 2017 Leesburg, VA DETAILS

H&M have nice men's shirts - great quality & inexpensive.

TubbyT
October 16th, 2017 Philadelphia, PA

I purchased a white blouse, p/n 05201056 in June. It sat in my closet for 3 months, finally wore it in September. Few hours into the day, I noticed the threads were coming out at all major seams. So I emailed H&M customer service the very same day. They told me, if purchased online, then to ship it back for full refund, and if I bought it in store then take it back to any store and speak to the manager. When I got to the store today, the manager said I they can give me a store credit but not full refund since it had been past 30 days. I went to the Philly location at Chestnut and 16th. I explained them the timeline, and how it sat in the closet for 3 months before I wore it. Also, that I had other priorities to take care of then to come complain about a store. But they were so adamant on their 30 day policy and store credit vs full refund on my card. I've been a customer for 15 years, and this was literally my first time complaining about any product but they won't accommodate a customer. I asked Basil (store manager), if he bought clothes at H&M, and he said no. Well there you go, he know the quality sucks but is not willing to listen to a customer. I even called the corporate customer service and got the same response. They wanted to give me a store credit for a store that I no longer trust, and they would most likely put the product back in clearance rack. It's a win-win for them, it's the corporations strategy. So in my defense, i'm actually going to donate a $25, poor quality product to salvation army. I wasn't fighting for my $25, I was fighting against the policy. For H&M customers don't matter anything, as long as they are making. Moving forward, I will not be shopping at this location anymore. They are money minting company, for very poorly produced quality.

patdickson
October 4th, 2017

Bought item on-line and I am unable to return it to a store. This is inconvenient and a really poor customer service model. Don't buy on-line from H&M. For that matter don't buy from H&M.

Lynda Daluz
September 18th, 2017 Madison, WI

The worst place to order online customer service is no help the lie to get you to order more there website is down and does not work properly on debit cards worst experience on trying to spend 200.00 ended hanging up after 4 days of trying to buy something.

scott Barber
September 12th, 2017

Disgusting online service. I paid for goods without realising I needed to do a bank transfer at a later date. I then received an email a few weeks later saying I have to pay a penalty charge late fee, and that I now have a bad credit debt....all for the sake of £38. The funny thing is, I didn't receive any late notice warning beforehand. Once I found out I tried to call them and pay over the phone, but they wouldn't accept any payment. They said I had to set up a direct debit with my bank. The customer service team do not want to help either with this matter. Do not buy from this company online. They are despicable.

Alice
August 23rd, 2017

I've regularly shopped at the physical locations for over a decade so I was very excited when their online shopping launched. I ordered a basic pair of slip-on shoes from the Women's shoes section. I had purchased two pairs of similar shoes in-store before so I was confident that a size 6 would fit me. When I received the package, the shoes were extremely big - like almost an inch larger than all of my other size 6 shoes. Obviously they were men's or unisex sizing but someone had failed to make that clear on the website. I contacted customer service and their response was that I ordered a size 6, and got a size 6. Uh - THAT'S NOT THE PROBLEM. Either their customer service team is run by idiots or they just don't care to really listen to and solve customer issues. What makes it worse is that you can't return or exchange items in-stores, and you have to pay for shipping to do it online, so it's really a whole nightmare unless you know EXACTLY what you're ordering. After a few more exchanges of emails they finally said they would pay for the return shipping. What a headache. After this incident, I rarely step inside their stores anymore. Other similar stores (Zara, F21) all have much superior online shopping experience and customer service.

Ericka
August 11th, 2017

Steve & Skylar at the Carolina Place Mall H&M. Show me exemplary customer service today Steven went above and beyond to help me with a purchase and I am very grateful. sincerely Erica C Thanks for a wonderful shopping experience.

Tiffany
July 5th, 2017 Richmond, VA

The kids clothes are great ... they don't shrink or lint ball up! I've bought my daughters clothes from The Gap, Ralph Lauren, Children's Place, Macy's, Nordstrom ... the list goes on but the H & M clothes last her the longest and they are the most affordable!

Sandra Dubas
June 14th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I like H&M because of their prices and the styles that they have. The quality of the clothing is okay but for sure worth to buy for the prices they offer. Everything that I got from this store has always worked for me.

Blake Wilcox
June 13th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I really like H&M. Their prices are great and clothing is very stylish. Every time I look for professional or casual styles I know that I can find it at H&M for a very low price. I have a lot of things from this store and I have loved all of things I have bought from them.

Lindsay H.
June 12th, 2017 Draper, UT

H&M has moderately cheap clothes that are of decent quality. I like to shop here.

Sheryl Wilson
June 12th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

This store offers a lot of trendy clothing at a decent price. Their customer service is top notch.

Erin St Pierre
June 9th, 2017

Good quality clothing at a fair price. I have never had to return or replace anything because of quality reasons. Very good service.

Quen Wilson
June 8th, 2017 Ogden, UT

H&M is an incredible clothing store that offers high quality products for a low affordable price. I originally found out about H&M while I was living in Europe for a couple of years and loved the product. They will keep you stylish, up-to-date on the newest fashion trends and it's all done without breaking the bank.

Kyler Ashby
June 7th, 2017 Phoenix, AZ

While the prices are great I think that sometimes it tends to put all it's eggs in one basket in serving a particular fashion sense. Variety does not seem to be H&M's forte. That's just my personal observation.

Sav Flo
June 7th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

The clothing is cheap and seasonal. I tend to buy things from H&M that I know I'll only be wearing for a short while because the quality of the clothes doesn't last. I've been to stores of H&M that have been out of control with clothes all over and as a customer it makes it relatively hard to find what I'm looking for in chaos.

Maile Curtis
June 6th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I love the styles and the prices. However, they do not allow to use giftcards on their website. It makes it really difficult if you want to buy something on a giftcard.

Chelsea Stewart
June 5th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I love H&M and yet also hate it. The prices sometimes are great. The quality can be good or bad. The styles good or bad. It's always a toss up, but overall pretty good.

Christopher Haueter
June 5th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

H&M has a pretty good style but can get a little feminine for my taste. The quality of the clothes isn't that great but the price of the clothes makes it totally worth it. There are always really cheap deals there and I can't complain about that.

Elizabeth McMichael
June 5th, 2017 Provo, UT

Clothes are cute but quality suffers because of the price.

Tami
June 5th, 2017 Neola, IA

I placed an online order from H&M. This order consisted of only 4 items, all of which were similar. When I received the order, one item was missing and I had two of another. I promptly contacted H&M to inform them of their mistake. I first contacted them via telephone. I was on hold approximately 12 minutes waiting to be connected to a customer service agent. Once I was connected to an agent, I explained THEIR mistake. I was told I could ship the shirt back to them, once received they wld ship out the correct one or credit back my card. However, shipping wld be at MY expense. I told them, again, this was not my mistake. They also offered to just credit my card upon receiving the mistakenly sent shirt, rather than send me a new one. I told the agent I just wanted the one I had ordered to begin with. Long story short, H&M refused to correct their mistake. They acted as if this were a mistake I had made upon placing my order. I even sent a follow up email explaining my frustration. H&M still will not correct a mistake made by them. I have never been so disappointed in a company or a company's customer service relations. Way to look out for your customers H&M. Needless to say I would not recommend shopping at H&M.

Aubrey Rentschler
June 5th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I like the pricing of their clothes; however, I wish the store was more organized because it's overwhelming when you go there.

Kenneth Okerlund
June 2nd, 2017

In store experience is great, while the online experience is terrible. I wouldn't shop from them if there wasn't one at the local mall. Great clothes for great prices!

Kari Staheli
June 2nd, 2017

H & M is one of my daughter's favorite stores. They have pretty good quality clothing there and great clearance prices. I like their return policy too.

Naevi Staheli
June 2nd, 2017

I like H&M because of the cute clothes that are sold and the nice return policy. I wish that their website better matched their stores.

Chelle Hipp
June 2nd, 2017 Grand Rapids, MI

H&M has super cute clothes and generally decent prices. However, shopping in store their pricing policies are ridiculous. Clothing styles and sizes all mixed together. Huge signs with promotional prices or 2 for 1 all over the place but only apply to specific pieces of clothing. I am convinced this is to bait and switch people that won't want to leave things at the counter after wasting valuable time on shopping. I refuse to play their game.

Jonny Hancock
June 2nd, 2017 Mona, UT

H&M has cool, stylish clothes at great prices. They also have a great selection - lots of great options and a good shopping atmosphere for both me and my wife.

george d haberkorn
May 18th, 2017

On recent visit to store in Galleria Mall, one person in entire store! No one upstairs and found just one person behind cash reg. downstairs, with a line of about 15 people. Dropped my articles and left. Yes no service and apparently you could careless about thief.

Tammy Nixon
April 25th, 2017 Elk Grove Village, IL

Website is a terrible experience, they state 3-5 business days for delivery and after 11 days I still have not received my package. They also do not give you a expected delivery date. Someone needs to tell H&M that their method of delivery by horse and carriage in the 20th century is unacceptable for a e-com site. H&M take lessons on delivery and customer service from Amazon!

Marie Fraser
April 3rd, 2017

I have an account with H&M where I pay invoice within 20 days of making a purchase. Unfortunately, the reference number used for billing is 1 diget too long for Barclays Bank. This results in frequent payments failing to be credited to my account, late payment fees and totally inadequate customer service staff who are entirely selective with regards to the issues they address.

Srishti Jain
February 8th, 2017

I was very excited to shop from H&M pheonix mumbai. It was sale end so i went with good hopes to shop good and cheap. Didn't like anything in sale but i came too far so picked regular denims. It was late and fitting room was closed therefore not able to try the denims i liked. They have BUY NOW, DECIDE LATER policy and customer service man told me that i can easily exchange it at my near by H&M store also. I took it but fit was not good. I have to get it exchange whitin 30 days. After a week i have to rush out of town for a month. So i rush to H&M store aftr my office to get my denims exchanged. It was 9, crew was not at all helpful. I called them 2-3 times but no one came and helped dedicatly. Soon they announce to close fitting room. I took few other denims to try. Staff was very rude. While leaving fitting room one of staff asked me to get back items from trial room. Very politely i took them out. Then he asked me to get the hangers. They way he asked i lose my cool but still politely said i am running late and have to rush to counter to get my return. The staff at counter accepted my return and was ready to give me credit note merchandise card. Then this same man from fitting room came and said that they can not give credit note at different store. I have to go back to same store to get it back. He force me to exchange it with something else. The denim I picked earlier was of 2000 and all other were of 3000. So I was not ready to buy something in hurry and add more money to it. But he kept forcing on exchange. Even after explaining him several times at it is impt that ai get return today only as i will not be available later. He was not ready to listen. What is the use of having these big brands all over the city when u can't even have good proper return policies. Even local shop people act respond better them them. I had such a bad time explaining him and coming all the way to return and get my money credit note. I really felt bad with shopping with them. Staff was throwing attitude, no way cooperative. Never want that bug again from them. And staff should given proper knowledge and should not that it can be exchanged in any H&M store. They should learn to talk ti customers properly and comprehend with them. Worst brand ever.

Teresa
January 23rd, 2017

I love this store. Clothes and shoes are always stylish & affordable. The items fit perfectly to your true size. And you can now return your online items to the store.

Reeti
January 16th, 2017

Bad service, no updates on delay in delivery. Cancellation of order without giving any reasons.

Ricky M
January 16th, 2017

Awful customer service. My item was purchased online on the 24th of November. Expected delivery date was December 2nd or 3rd. Item was not shipped out until December 4th!!! On top of that they haven't replied to my emails! Not one! I'm never purchasing from them again, and I highly recommend that you stay away as well.

Angela
January 16th, 2017 Upper Marlboro, MD

My 1st experience with H & M and it was horrible. I got inconvenienced 2xs because they sent out the wrong item and now I'm not going to have it for Christmas for my son.

Katarzyna Wajwod
January 16th, 2017

Ordered online for the first time and truly regret it! Hermes, their courier company did not deliver the parcel but sent confirmation that they did. I paid for 1 day delivery and needed the product today. Totally disappointed. Not recommend

teresa
January 11th, 2017

The company does not provide any service that allows a person to find out what stores have items in stock.

Brianne sisca
January 4th, 2017

Took almost 3 weeks for a delivery!!! That has never happened at any other site I ordered from. I called and got some $ off of price, but that didn't not make up for not having gift on time for job X-mas party. I shop online for 98% of gifts. Glad they tried to make it right and I know S--- happens. BTW, I was on hold nearly 60 minutes to remedy the issue! That was also a first they need to address.

Carol Goldman
December 20th, 2016 Hammond, IN

I placed an order with H&M and have not received a confirmation notice. They have gotten my money of of my bank. I tried calling their customer service number. I doesn't even ring and your are disconnected. I sent an email to customer service. It is like shouting into the wind. Maybe one day I will get a response, and maybe I will actually receive my package. I will give it a 3 and hope for a response. We will see next week.

Hyung im son
December 20th, 2016

I just wasted an hour and a half for nothing. Tried to make purchase online and my payment got denied so l called customer service and found out that they have a problem processing credit card transactions. It was second time happened to me! They shouldn't be running online shopping business. I don't think they are capable of running it. Can't trust anymore!!!

Elsa Peterson Obuchowski
December 20th, 2016

Ordered 3 pairs of leather trousers US size 12. Took more than 2 weeks to arrive (more than a week later than the delivery date I was given in the online order). All 3 pairs were extremely small, would fit a US 4, possibly a 6. No way a size 12. Returned them immediately (same day) using H&M's prepaid return label. It is now 2 weeks after I dropped off the return and the package tracking is still showing the package "in transit." I have emailed twice, no reply. I called and reached a customer service associate after holding at least 10 min, listening to noisy music and a repeated recording saying "a lot of people are calling us." She confirmed they know where the pkg is, but it still hasn't reached their warehouse and is not expected to arrive for another 3-5 business days. Utterly ridiculous.

Julia N
December 15th, 2016

An item was not included into my finished 200 CAD order, even though it was clearly stated that this item IS available and in stock. When I filled out a contact form with the question regarding this issue, I got no reply. I had to make a second order just for that one item that the H&M Canada team failed to include into my original order, having to incur the delivery charges of CAD 7.99 for this second order. All of this - the unfulfilled order, the absence of reply to my question, and the necessity to make a second order and incur a delivery charge - left a most negative impression with H&M Canada online shopping.

Mital Patel
December 10th, 2016 Decatur, GA

Placed an order on 11-25-2016, it was shipped on 12-2-2016, today being the 12-10-16, i still have not recived my item!!!! How pathetic is this? call them and the wait time is 30 minutes, how else am i supposed to get track of my package? As much as i like the clothes there, is as much UPSET AND ANNOYED I AM AT THE MOMENT!!!

John Guidry
December 8th, 2016

I visited H&M in Town and Country Mall in Houston on December 7, 2016. I brought my son to purchase long pants and to get an idea what he wanted for Christmas. While we were walking around decision-making on what he would purchase then and what we would get him for Christmas there were about 20 to 30 employees hanging up items, working on displays not "1" spoke or asked If we needed help with anything. Wow! I've never ever felt that unwanted in a retail store. This is a sign of no customer service training. TERMINATE EVERYONE ONE OF THEM AND REHIRE!

shandra burdett
December 8th, 2016

I will never order anything from H& M again. Horrible customer service. NEVER AGAIN!!!

jocelyn perry
December 7th, 2016

I placed an order on 11/27 for a birthday present i need by 12/11. It stated i would receive the items no later than 12/6. I did not pay for rush shipping since it stated that. Here it is 12/7 and no package, not even shipped yet!!!! IF YOU NEED SOMETHING DO NOT ORDER FROM THIS COMPANY!!! I waited on hold for 45 minutes to talk to someone who basically said too bad your order will ship when it ships, i have placed 10 orders with others companies after this date and i have all of the items already. TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE TERRIBLE.....will never buy anything from here again

Rosie
December 2nd, 2016

Love Love Love H&M! Has great air conditioning and is way better than Zara!! Definetly the N01 store.