H&M is a clothing retail company that is based out of Switzerland. They operate several stores in 53 different countries. H&M is the second largest clothing retail in the store and ranks slightly higher than GAP, a US based company. We found that H&M is upgrading their stores throughout the US. A recent store that opened up in Hawaii in March of 2014 has unique artwork from local Hawaiian artists, a commentary on the cultural life of Hawaii. H&M prides itself on making each regional or area store unique to the locale.

There are many good things about H&M in terms of its corporate DNA. They control all of their retail operations in Europe, making sure that the right number of products is produced. This results in a high availability of their items online at a reasonable price. We also found that on the H&M website that there were very few items that were sold out. There is nothing more frustrating for a customer when they see a special item on sale that is no longer available.

H&M also prides itself on charity. They have a partnership with UNICEF and have raised more than $5 million for that organization. This was one of the few charity-friendly online clothing retailers that we found while doing research for this review process.

#1 Old Navy chevron_right
#3 Nike chevron_right

The Good

• Low Prices
  • Valuable Promotions
  • H&M has Been in Business Over 16 Years

H&M has a loyal fan base for many reasons, some of which includes:

Low Prices

Finding items of clothing at an affordable price is one of if not the most important aspects of a particular store. H&M excels in this category while maintaining high standards of quality and trendiness. Prices vary between categories, but it's reasonable to see t-shirts and long-sleeve shirts available for a low $5 to $12. There is a large number of products listed on their website. The product search tool helps locate clothing type, brand, and what other customers have purchased. You can also see other items that are particularly a good fit from similar clothing items of your choosing. There are several unique designers featured as H&M products, including Versace. They frequently reach out to designers in the industry to make items that would be appropriate fits for their stores.

Valuable Promotions

As you shop online through the H&M catalog, you will be greeted warmly with multiple promotions designed to help you save money. For example, currently H&M has a promotion that allows shoppers to save 30% off their purchase. Another promotion gives you 20% off when you sign up for their newsletter. These and other promotions are time sensitive but thankfully are replaced with other, sometimes even better, promotions when time runs out.

H&M has Been in Business over 16 Years

The online clothing business can be a challenge to break into and develop a passionate and loyal customer base. H&M has been able to do this over the past 16 years they have been operating in the United States. Their processes for both in-store and online over the years should give potential shoppers an element of confidence as they become customers. Shopping for clothes online can be a messy business with returns and refunds, and their rating indicates adequate customer resolution practices being in place currently. H&M also provides clothing options for men, women, and kids. This allows their store to become more of a one-stop shop for families searching for clothes.

The Bad

• Average Return Policy
  • H&M Does Not Offer Free Shipping

H&M falls short in two distinct areas:

Average Return Policy

While H&M has low prices and trendy products make them an enticing company to shop from, their return policy is average at best. Their return policy states 30 days being given from a purchase date to when a return will no longer be accepted. H&M does not accept items that have been worn or damaged. While there are stores who have policies much longer and shorter than this, their policy falls right in the middle of the road as far as valuable return policies are concerned. Another unfortunate feature is you can't return items purchased online in the physical store nor can you mail in store items in order to get a refund. This makes the return process frustrating for some customers.

H&M Does Not Offer Free Shipping

No free shipping option is included on their website. However, as you dig deeper into their policy it's relatively easy to see why it would be valuable to many shoppers nevertheless. Most orders are delivered within 3 to 5 business days (an additional 2 days should be given for rural addresses) and there is a flat shipping rate of $5.95 regardless of the size and weight of your package. If you have a heavy, possibly more expensive order, you won't be breaking the bank even without a free shipping option.

The Bottom Line

Overall, H&M is recommended to those searching for clothing items that are affordable and stylish. Their merchandise and costs are extremely competitive, their sale items were not frequently selling out, and customers can find deals on items and not worry about a "sold out" mark on that sale item they are wanting to purchase. However, the H&M return policy has less to be desired and they do not offer free shipping. Regardless, H&M is a solid online clothing store option that will help you look stylish and save money.

3.3

Fernando Delgado
December 6th, 2018 Tempe, AZ DETAILS

Love shopping at H&M thats my go to first before any store always go their to buy my v Neck shirts very good quality and affordable price. Also their style of clothes is very up to date.

Nishita
November 30th, 2018 McLean, VA DETAILS

H n M is one of my top favorite clothing brands. I always buy clothes from there. I have an infinite amount of casual t-shirts, formal pants, and jeans and always need more.

Kathie Bowman
November 16th, 2018 Lakeside, CA DETAILS

They have a different sense of fashion than most places now a days and it makes it fun to go into and see all the different outfits to choose from

Auditi
November 14th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

H&M sometimes has the best prices for dresses! The material of their clothes are light and good for the summer. I struggle a bit to find the right fit, but overall their clothes are cute and comfortable with a reasonable price.

ann
November 9th, 2018 DETAILS

CRAP COMPANY. Ruined my opportunity to purchase Moschino collection online. Finally got in & put 5 items in my cart. But at PAYMENT I was DECLINED! (Hours later customer service manager 'ZH' said ALGORITHM DECLINED ME altho BANK ALLOWED!) Useless apology from ZH - NO MOSCHINO thkxz CRAPPY H&M.

Randal hyde
November 6th, 2018 Springfield, MO DETAILS

H&M's clothing is poor quality and high priced for what you get. Customer service is almost non- exsistant.

Karen S Priest
November 1st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I can always find something at H&M. Their prices are great and selection is good. My only problem is I usually run into someone with the same out fit because so many people shop there.

SM2018
October 29th, 2018 Kailua-Kona, HI

This is not about their clothes...our daughter likes this store so we figured we would get her a gift card. Go through their website to get the gift card and, for some reason, the website says it was "unable to process the transaction." I try again, checking all information 4x. Same message. I log onto our bank account and there is plenty of funds there BUT, there is also a pending CHARGE for the transaction. ?!?!?!?! I call their customer service and am told that even if the transaction is declined, their system will still place a hold for the pending funds for several DAYS. WHAT?! We use three different credit card systems at my work and NONE of them work that way. "Nothing we can do" I get told. Well...our daughter is now getting a gift card from somewhere else. That transaction went through just fine!

Bryan
October 9th, 2018 Greenville, SC DETAILS

I have been a customer of H&M for many years. Recently, I ordered some items online using the mobile H&M app and my items were sent to my previous address even though my correct address was listed as my shipping address. So I’ve contacted H&M as soon as I realized this and there was pretty much nothing they could do for me other than out of me 20% off of my next order. Due to the items being on sale they were no longer available in my size to order. I asked if the items could be redirected and they assured me that there was nothing that they could do. I asked if they could contact in the warehouse with the items will be shipped to and to stop the return order and they assured me that there is nothing they could do. I asked if the items could be bought from another store and shipped to my home address and they informed me that was something they do not do. I even asked if there was anyway to alert me when the items were back in stock, again they stated that, that was something they did not offer. I just think in 2018 H&M should provide more ways for customer satisfaction especially since this was not my mistake. A simple I’m sorry isn’t good enough.

karen
October 8th, 2018 Bel Air, MD DETAILS

into week two waiting for my order that was slated to arrive 3-5 business days.

Amber
September 20th, 2018 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS

Great in style clothes in every size for those on a budget. Not made of the best quality, but there are so many choices. I love the little kids clothes especially.

Shari Evers
September 18th, 2018 Lehi, UT DETAILS

Love the prices, but the quality doesn’t hold. A couple shirts and even pants looked worn out after just a couple of washes.

Haley Evers
September 17th, 2018 Lehi, UT DETAILS

I use h&m a lot. It’s the perfect quick way of looking for cloths. They have a huge variety and it comes in all different sizes. I don’t like the money you need to spend buying cloths their though. It’s really expensive!

Jocelyn E
September 17th, 2018 Lehi, UT DETAILS

They have inexpensive, instyle clothing items that will definitely turn heads!

August 30th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I love going to H&M! Their jeans are such good quality and always last me at least 2 years!

Ashley Gneiting
August 28th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I always enjoy shopping st h&m because I can get a lot of outfits worth my money than compared to more expensive stores.

Dylan Findlay
August 28th, 2018 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

You definitely get what you pay for. Although the clothing is trendy, the quality lacks.

Holly Buckson
August 21st, 2018 Elkton, MD DETAILS

I'm upset that I had to choose one star for H & M. I ordered a pair of maternity jeans in a size 8, and they sent a size 10. They were on clearance, and as an expecting mother, I am in need of a good deal. I purchased them for $9.99, which I thought was a steal. When I received them, I was sent the wrong size, a 10, which I had already ordered large considering weight gain during pregnancy. I'm usually a 4/6, so I was swimming in the 10. The customer service representatives were horrible. No pregnant woman deserves to be stressed out to the point of tears, but that's what happened when they basically tried to justify their mistake by saying that I was at fault because they changed the size chart, and the 10 was new size of the old 8. I have no idea why I was to blame for ordering a size 8 and being a sent a size 10, so I insisted that I wanted the 8, not the 10. Well, guess what. Now my size isn't available, so what do they do? Instead of price matching another pair of maternity jeans, they offer me 10% off my next purchase. So, with the cheapest pair of maternity pants being $25 clearance, I could get a whopping $4 off and pay more than double what I had paid for the pants I ordered on time in my size. How nice! But, wait. There's a plus, I could spend even MORE money and get the 10% off my entire purchase. Well, needless to say, I wasn't happy, and so I spoke to the manager who basically had the same thing to say, but with quite the attitude. My husband and I spend quite a bit of money in this store, and now they are losing our business and that of our friends and family.

Bella Houtz
August 20th, 2018 South Jordan, UT

The clothing is good and it has a very good price point! highly recommend shopping here! the coustomer service is also good for the most part

Lesa Burgess
August 20th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I ordered off H&M online store and the item took about 2 weeks to arrive. The items that arrived were exactly what was described online. Size fit perfectly & so no complaints there. I would give this online service 3 stars.

Natasha Klimovych
August 6th, 2018 Rathdrum, ID DETAILS

I love h&m , love the clothes and how you cam get a good deal. But i absolutely hate when ordering online and your items have arrived but they tend to always not send 1-3 items. Like there out of stock when in fact there not and i have to reorder those items. It pisses me off so bad and im waisting my time and money!!! I would give a 2 star but because the clothes are great and so are the prices its a 4.

Anila
August 2nd, 2018

Worst return or exchange policy. It's unbelievable they can't even exchange the size without the receipt. Worst return policy staff is very rude. Will not shop there again.

Ana Arroyo
July 19th, 2018 Kilgore, TX DETAILS

Horrible horrible experience. This is my first time going into the store and I was really excited but when I went to purchase they did not correctly charge me right. It wasn't until I got back home which is an hour away that I realize they charged me more for an item when it was on sale. I called customer service and they gave me a hard time and told me that there was nothing they could do and that the receipt was correct and I told them it was on sale but they didn't believe me. All they did was run me in circles. So I will definitely not be shopping here again. I've had better service at better stores with better customer representatives. It's a shame the way they treat their customers.

Amy Stewart
July 5th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

I have loved shopping at H&M and the value of the clothing that is offered. I really love that they mark down their clothing and put them on sale. This is wonderful

lakerriyia mumford
July 2nd, 2018 Norfolk, VA DETAILS

Hey , my name LAkerriyia Mumford Recent i was Attack By the police in H&M from No Reason I Also Had my Kids With Me I was so embarrassed I had Just Spend $60 in that store. now I have 3 charges Because A white Employee Lied On me I’m A Black if as she was being racists.. I will never shop in here again I was in jail. For 8hr .. I had to bond myself out and I called the H&M hotline cop office number they was very nast with me and also hung up on me saying i was lien

Alicia Holman
June 22nd, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

I think they have good prices on their clothes, but they are so packed in the stores that it's sometimes hard to find your way around the store. Also, the men's clothes are all over the place as far as styling. I do think the clothes are made fairly well for what you pay.

Tessa Treanor
June 11th, 2018 Salem, UT

H & M is a very good store. I always shop there. they have good costumer service.

Tom
June 11th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Great selection, my girls and wife love it. I don’t because I fit better in big and tall.

Tami Allen
June 11th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

I love shopping at H&M because there is truly something for everyone, no matter your age. They have a wide selection of products for different types of men and women, and their wide range of sizes reflect that everyone is different. I love that I can go there with my teenage girls and find just as much to buy as they do. I also love the fact that they keep prices low, even though their clothes are a little bit higher end. My clothes I've bought there have been high quality, and have stood up to numerous washings.

Easton Fowler
June 11th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

H and M had quality clothes for an overall good price. Whenever I go to H and M I can almost always find what I am looking for and for an affordable price. The costumer service is great and I would recommend this store to anyone.

Adam Crawley
June 8th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

H&M is a great store to go and get fashionable and cheap clothing; however, the quality is not always the best. I've had suits fall apart very quickly from this store. Be careful not to spend too much money here.

June 7th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

H&M is my go to clothing store. I love their variety of clothing and their jeans and very good quality and a very good price!

Preston Fowler
June 6th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

H&M always has the perfect style of clothes for me I love their style of jeans that they have, and I can always find what I need.

Nana Asiata
June 5th, 2018 Herriman, UT

H&M has great quality clothing. The have a wide variety that you can chose from and so can the whole family.

Sadie Scoville
June 5th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

This clothing store has EXTREMELY great quality and all for a price that everyone can afford.

CAROLE SCOVILLE
June 5th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I love the variety here, but it is almost a little too overwhelming to try and find anything because there is SO much!

Joanna Hester
June 5th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

I have three girls and this is their favorite store because their clothes always reflect the latest styles. I love it too because the prices are so low.

Brooke Hester
June 5th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

Super cheap and super cute clothes!! Great service too!!

Amelia Gibson
June 1st, 2018 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

I like this company because of their wide variety of choices.

May 31st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I love H&M for the prices of their clothes and uniqueness of their designs. It has very cute clothing for all ages at affordable prices. I love their sales too!

Kristin
May 31st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

The prices are good but the quality of the clothes is cheap.

H Moore
May 29th, 2018 Lehi, UT DETAILS

I think I've spent more money at H&M than any other clothing store. Great for tall teens!

Noelle
May 29th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Love shopping here! I get the cutest clothes there and they are cheap.

Bella houtz
May 29th, 2018 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

H and M is such a great store we love the variety and what it has to offer us.

Noelle Crawley
May 29th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

My teenagers love shopping here. Their clothes are a great value and good quality.

Ashley
May 25th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

H&M’s have really good prices, but the quality of clothing isn’t the best.

Samantha
May 4th, 2018 Millville, UT DETAILS

Their website is easy to navigate! I have had to ask customer service questions and they’re super helpful every time!

Doom Truong
May 1st, 2018 Lehi, UT DETAILS

All clothes here seem to be cheap. Not only with pricing but quality. The only thing that I really like here is their slacks and suit coats.

K Robison
April 30th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS

Good clothing for teenagers. Great prices especially around the new school year.

Erin Rhoton
April 25th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

H&M is a great place to buy trendy clothes at a really cheap price. Unfortunately, the quality isn't great but it's worth the money.