H&M is a clothing retail company that is based out of Switzerland. They operate several stores in 53 different countries. H&M is the second largest clothing retail in the store and ranks slightly higher than GAP, a US based company. We found that H&M is upgrading their stores throughout the US. A recent store that opened up in Hawaii in March of 2014 has unique artwork from local Hawaiian artists, a commentary on the cultural life of Hawaii. H&M prides itself on making each regional or area store unique to the locale.

There are many good things about H&M in terms of its corporate DNA. They control all of their retail operations in Europe, making sure that the right number of products is produced. This results in a high availability of their items online at a reasonable price. We also found that on the H&M website that there were very few items that were sold out. There is nothing more frustrating for a customer when they see a special item on sale that is no longer available.

H&M also prides itself on charity. They have a partnership with UNICEF and have raised more than $5 million for that organization. This was one of the few charity-friendly online clothing retailers that we found while doing research for this review process.

#1 Old Navy chevron_right
#2 Nike chevron_right
#3 Target chevron_right

The Good

• Low Prices
  • Valuable Promotions
  • H&M has Been in Business Over 16 Years

H&M has a loyal fan base for many reasons, some of which includes:

Low Prices

Finding items of clothing at an affordable price is one of if not the most important aspects of a particular store. H&M excels in this category while maintaining high standards of quality and trendiness. Prices vary between categories, but it's reasonable to see t-shirts and long-sleeve shirts available for a low $5 to $12. There is a large number of products listed on their website. The product search tool helps locate clothing type, brand, and what other customers have purchased. You can also see other items that are particularly a good fit from similar clothing items of your choosing. There are several unique designers featured as H&M products, including Versace. They frequently reach out to designers in the industry to make items that would be appropriate fits for their stores.

Valuable Promotions

As you shop online through the H&M catalog, you will be greeted warmly with multiple promotions designed to help you save money. For example, currently H&M has a promotion that allows shoppers to save 30% off their purchase. Another promotion gives you 20% off when you sign up for their newsletter. These and other promotions are time sensitive but thankfully are replaced with other, sometimes even better, promotions when time runs out.

H&M has Been in Business over 16 Years

The online clothing business can be a challenge to break into and develop a passionate and loyal customer base. H&M has been able to do this over the past 16 years they have been operating in the United States. Their processes for both in-store and online over the years should give potential shoppers an element of confidence as they become customers. Shopping for clothes online can be a messy business with returns and refunds, and their rating indicates adequate customer resolution practices being in place currently. H&M also provides clothing options for men, women, and kids. This allows their store to become more of a one-stop shop for families searching for clothes.

The Bad

• Average Return Policy
  • H&M Does Not Offer Free Shipping

H&M falls short in two distinct areas:

Average Return Policy

While H&M has low prices and trendy products make them an enticing company to shop from, their return policy is average at best. Their return policy states 30 days being given from a purchase date to when a return will no longer be accepted. H&M does not accept items that have been worn or damaged. While there are stores who have policies much longer and shorter than this, their policy falls right in the middle of the road as far as valuable return policies are concerned. Another unfortunate feature is you can't return items purchased online in the physical store nor can you mail in store items in order to get a refund. This makes the return process frustrating for some customers.

H&M Does Not Offer Free Shipping

No free shipping option is included on their website. However, as you dig deeper into their policy it's relatively easy to see why it would be valuable to many shoppers nevertheless. Most orders are delivered within 3 to 5 business days (an additional 2 days should be given for rural addresses) and there is a flat shipping rate of $5.95 regardless of the size and weight of your package. If you have a heavy, possibly more expensive order, you won't be breaking the bank even without a free shipping option.

The Bottom Line

Overall, H&M is recommended to those searching for clothing items that are affordable and stylish. Their merchandise and costs are extremely competitive, their sale items were not frequently selling out, and customers can find deals on items and not worry about a "sold out" mark on that sale item they are wanting to purchase. However, the H&M return policy has less to be desired and they do not offer free shipping. Regardless, H&M is a solid online clothing store option that will help you look stylish and save money.

3.7

Kyler Ashby

June 7th, 2017 Phoenix, AZ

While the prices are great I think that sometimes it tends to put all it's eggs in one basket in serving a particular fashion sense. Variety does not seem to be H&M's forte. That's just my personal observation.

Tami

June 5th, 2017 Neola, IA

I placed an online order from H&M. This order consisted of only 4 items, all of which were similar. When I received the order, one item was missing and I had two of another. I promptly contacted H&M to inform them of their mistake. I first contacted them via telephone. I was on hold approximately 12 minutes waiting to be connected to a customer service agent. Once I was connected to an agent, I explained THEIR mistake. I was told I could ship the shirt back to them, once received they wld ship out the correct one or credit back my card. However, shipping wld be at MY expense. I told them, again, this was not my mistake. They also offered to just credit my card upon receiving the mistakenly sent shirt, rather than send me a new one. I told the agent I just wanted the one I had ordered to begin with. Long story short, H&M refused to correct their mistake. They acted as if this were a mistake I had made upon placing my order. I even sent a follow up email explaining my frustration. H&M still will not correct a mistake made by them. I have never been so disappointed in a company or a company's customer service relations. Way to look out for your customers H&M. Needless to say I would not recommend shopping at H&M.

Sav Flo

June 5th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

The clothing is cheap and seasonal. I tend to buy things from H&M that I know I'll only be wearing for a short while because the quality of the clothes doesn't last. I've been to stores of H&M that have been out of control with clothes all over and as a customer it makes it relatively hard to find what I'm looking for in chaos.

Elizabeth McMichael

June 2nd, 2017 Provo, UT

Clothes are cute but quality suffers because of the price.

Christopher Haueter

June 1st, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

H&M has a pretty good style but can get a little feminine for my taste. The quality of the clothes isn't that great but the price of the clothes makes it totally worth it. There are always really cheap deals there and I can't complain about that.

Chelsea Stewart

May 31st, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I love H&M and yet also hate it. The prices sometimes are great. The quality can be good or bad. The styles good or bad. It's always a toss up, but overall pretty good.

Aubrey Rentschler

May 29th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I like the pricing of their clothes; however, I wish the store was more organized because it's overwhelming when you go there.

Jonny Hancock

May 29th, 2017 Mona, UT

H&M has cool, stylish clothes at great prices. They also have a great selection - lots of great options and a good shopping atmosphere for both me and my wife.

Maile Curtis

May 29th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I love the styles and the prices. However, they do not allow to use giftcards on their website. It makes it really difficult if you want to buy something on a giftcard.

Chelle Hipp

May 29th, 2017 Grand Rapids, MI

H&M has super cute clothes and generally decent prices. However, shopping in store their pricing policies are ridiculous. Clothing styles and sizes all mixed together. Huge signs with promotional prices or 2 for 1 all over the place but only apply to specific pieces of clothing. I am convinced this is to bait and switch people that won't want to leave things at the counter after wasting valuable time on shopping. I refuse to play their game.

Naevi Staheli

May 29th, 2017

I like H&M because of the cute clothes that are sold and the nice return policy. I wish that their website better matched their stores.

Kari Staheli

May 26th, 2017

H & M is one of my daughter's favorite stores. They have pretty good quality clothing there and great clearance prices. I like their return policy too.

Kenneth Okerlund

May 26th, 2017

In store experience is great, while the online experience is terrible. I wouldn't shop from them if there wasn't one at the local mall. Great clothes for great prices!

george d haberkorn

May 18th, 2017

On recent visit to store in Galleria Mall, one person in entire store! No one upstairs and found just one person behind cash reg. downstairs, with a line of about 15 people. Dropped my articles and left. Yes no service and apparently you could careless about thief.

Tammy Nixon

April 25th, 2017 Elk Grove Village, IL

Website is a terrible experience, they state 3-5 business days for delivery and after 11 days I still have not received my package. They also do not give you a expected delivery date. Someone needs to tell H&M that their method of delivery by horse and carriage in the 20th century is unacceptable for a e-com site. H&M take lessons on delivery and customer service from Amazon!

Marie Fraser

April 3rd, 2017

I have an account with H&M where I pay invoice within 20 days of making a purchase. Unfortunately, the reference number used for billing is 1 diget too long for Barclays Bank. This results in frequent payments failing to be credited to my account, late payment fees and totally inadequate customer service staff who are entirely selective with regards to the issues they address.

Srishti Jain

February 7th, 2017

I was very excited to shop from H&M pheonix mumbai. It was sale end so i went with good hopes to shop good and cheap. Didn't like anything in sale but i came too far so picked regular denims. It was late and fitting room was closed therefore not able to try the denims i liked. They have BUY NOW, DECIDE LATER policy and customer service man told me that i can easily exchange it at my near by H&M store also. I took it but fit was not good. I have to get it exchange whitin 30 days. After a week i have to rush out of town for a month. So i rush to H&M store aftr my office to get my denims exchanged. It was 9, crew was not at all helpful. I called them 2-3 times but no one came and helped dedicatly. Soon they announce to close fitting room. I took few other denims to try. Staff was very rude. While leaving fitting room one of staff asked me to get back items from trial room. Very politely i took them out. Then he asked me to get the hangers. They way he asked i lose my cool but still politely said i am running late and have to rush to counter to get my return. The staff at counter accepted my return and was ready to give me credit note merchandise card. Then this same man from fitting room came and said that they can not give credit note at different store. I have to go back to same store to get it back. He force me to exchange it with something else. The denim I picked earlier was of 2000 and all other were of 3000. So I was not ready to buy something in hurry and add more money to it. But he kept forcing on exchange. Even after explaining him several times at it is impt that ai get return today only as i will not be available later. He was not ready to listen. What is the use of having these big brands all over the city when u can't even have good proper return policies. Even local shop people act respond better them them. I had such a bad time explaining him and coming all the way to return and get my money credit note. I really felt bad with shopping with them. Staff was throwing attitude, no way cooperative. Never want that bug again from them. And staff should given proper knowledge and should not that it can be exchanged in any H&M store. They should learn to talk ti customers properly and comprehend with them. Worst brand ever.

Teresa

January 22nd, 2017

I love this store. Clothes and shoes are always stylish & affordable. The items fit perfectly to your true size. And you can now return your online items to the store.

Katarzyna Wajwod

January 16th, 2017

Ordered online for the first time and truly regret it! Hermes, their courier company did not deliver the parcel but sent confirmation that they did. I paid for 1 day delivery and needed the product today. Totally disappointed. Not recommend

teresa

January 10th, 2017

The company does not provide any service that allows a person to find out what stores have items in stock.

Brianne sisca

January 2nd, 2017

Took almost 3 weeks for a delivery!!! That has never happened at any other site I ordered from. I called and got some $ off of price, but that didn't not make up for not having gift on time for job X-mas party. I shop online for 98% of gifts. Glad they tried to make it right and I know S--- happens. BTW, I was on hold nearly 60 minutes to remedy the issue! That was also a first they need to address.

Angela

December 22nd, 2016 Upper Marlboro, MD

My 1st experience with H & M and it was horrible. I got inconvenienced 2xs because they sent out the wrong item and now I'm not going to have it for Christmas for my son.

Ricky M

December 21st, 2016

Awful customer service. My item was purchased online on the 24th of November. Expected delivery date was December 2nd or 3rd. Item was not shipped out until December 4th!!! On top of that they haven't replied to my emails! Not one! I'm never purchasing from them again, and I highly recommend that you stay away as well.

Elsa Peterson Obuchowski

December 16th, 2016

Ordered 3 pairs of leather trousers US size 12. Took more than 2 weeks to arrive (more than a week later than the delivery date I was given in the online order). All 3 pairs were extremely small, would fit a US 4, possibly a 6. No way a size 12. Returned them immediately (same day) using H&M's prepaid return label. It is now 2 weeks after I dropped off the return and the package tracking is still showing the package "in transit." I have emailed twice, no reply. I called and reached a customer service associate after holding at least 10 min, listening to noisy music and a repeated recording saying "a lot of people are calling us." She confirmed they know where the pkg is, but it still hasn't reached their warehouse and is not expected to arrive for another 3-5 business days. Utterly ridiculous.

Hyung im son

December 16th, 2016

I just wasted an hour and a half for nothing. Tried to make purchase online and my payment got denied so l called customer service and found out that they have a problem processing credit card transactions. It was second time happened to me! They shouldn't be running online shopping business. I don't think they are capable of running it. Can't trust anymore!!!

Julia N

December 15th, 2016

An item was not included into my finished 200 CAD order, even though it was clearly stated that this item IS available and in stock. When I filled out a contact form with the question regarding this issue, I got no reply. I had to make a second order just for that one item that the H&M Canada team failed to include into my original order, having to incur the delivery charges of CAD 7.99 for this second order. All of this - the unfulfilled order, the absence of reply to my question, and the necessity to make a second order and incur a delivery charge - left a most negative impression with H&M Canada online shopping.

Carol Goldman

December 13th, 2016 Hammond, IN

I placed an order with H&M and have not received a confirmation notice. They have gotten my money of of my bank. I tried calling their customer service number. I doesn't even ring and your are disconnected. I sent an email to customer service. It is like shouting into the wind. Maybe one day I will get a response, and maybe I will actually receive my package. I will give it a 3 and hope for a response. We will see next week.

Mital Patel

December 10th, 2016 Decatur, GA

Placed an order on 11-25-2016, it was shipped on 12-2-2016, today being the 12-10-16, i still have not recived my item!!!! How pathetic is this? call them and the wait time is 30 minutes, how else am i supposed to get track of my package? As much as i like the clothes there, is as much UPSET AND ANNOYED I AM AT THE MOMENT!!!

John Guidry

December 8th, 2016

I visited H&M in Town and Country Mall in Houston on December 7, 2016. I brought my son to purchase long pants and to get an idea what he wanted for Christmas. While we were walking around decision-making on what he would purchase then and what we would get him for Christmas there were about 20 to 30 employees hanging up items, working on displays not "1" spoke or asked If we needed help with anything. Wow! I've never ever felt that unwanted in a retail store. This is a sign of no customer service training. TERMINATE EVERYONE ONE OF THEM AND REHIRE!

shandra burdett

December 8th, 2016

I will never order anything from H& M again. Horrible customer service. NEVER AGAIN!!!

jocelyn perry

December 7th, 2016

I placed an order on 11/27 for a birthday present i need by 12/11. It stated i would receive the items no later than 12/6. I did not pay for rush shipping since it stated that. Here it is 12/7 and no package, not even shipped yet!!!! IF YOU NEED SOMETHING DO NOT ORDER FROM THIS COMPANY!!! I waited on hold for 45 minutes to talk to someone who basically said too bad your order will ship when it ships, i have placed 10 orders with others companies after this date and i have all of the items already. TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE TERRIBLE.....will never buy anything from here again

Rosie

December 2nd, 2016

Love Love Love H&M! Has great air conditioning and is way better than Zara!! Definetly the N01 store.

Shelly Hutchko

November 30th, 2016 Johnson City, NY

I placed order for $72.79 on 11/25. At that time it stated the item was in stock. On 11/28.... h&m captured the funds from my bank. On 11/30, I received an email that stated the item was sold out. After calling and waiting on hold for 39min... I was informed that my monies would be returned in 3-5 days. Really? They have $72.79 of my money and I have absolutely nothing. Funds should not be captured until item ships... this is why.

Reeti

November 27th, 2016

Bad service, no updates on delay in delivery. Cancellation of order without giving any reasons.

Upi

November 18th, 2016 VA

I placed two separate orders online on Tuesday for two separate dresses. I had coupons, and was offered free shipping with coupons. I placed two orders, one for a dress that was originally $29.99, came down to $15.29; second one originally $49.99, came down to $25.49. This was all well and good until I got the shipping email, I was charged $50.98 ($25.49 for one and $25.49 for the other one). I waited to check my credit card stated and I have two line items $15.29 for one and $35.69 for the other one. Frustrated but hopeful I called the customer service to explain which I finally got connect on 3rd hold time of 20 minutes, only to hear that their system combines the orders placed on same day. I understand and I don't mind since they are shipped to same address but then he goes so only one coupon per order. He said, they couldn't do anything, no refund or change the order and I have to suffer. This is so lame, I have to pay extra since their systems are screwed up. This goes against the online shopping, you see an item $25 but your card is charged $35. I waited for 2 more days and called them back. The lady was super helpful and H&M promised to refund extra charges. Even though I haven't received an email confirmation yet. Hopefully, will see it in the credit card statement.

Sara Seronko

November 12th, 2016

I will NEVER purchase from H&M again. By far the WORST customer service I have experienced. They sent my package to the wrong address and can see its already on its way back to the warehouse. Instead of immediately sending a new order like Macy's or Nordstrom would do, they said it would take 2 weeks to file a claim for a missing package or I can pay AGAIN right now and re-order. I will not spend another dime in this store or online. Absolutely unacceptable.

Andrea Afanador

November 3rd, 2016 San Antonio, TX

I am giving it such a bad review because I want people to understand how we are able to have so many cute affordable outfits. Next time you are Netflix and chillin put on "true cost" it will open your eyes to a different side of fashion and H&M is on of the biggest companies that are affecting people everywhere in horrible ways.

pmokesot

October 18th, 2016 Media, PA

Stay away from this company. They ship with Newgistics shipping company to deliver and return. All to save a $ which comes at your expense in having to wait and hope it arrives. The customer service is impossible to reach over the phone leaving you to hear que messages like "currently a lot of people are calling us" over and over till you hang up. I will never shop here again and will be returning my order in the store.

Kayla

October 15th, 2016 South Jordan, UT

There were employees walking around the store cutting me off. That happened maybe two or three times and I figured it's just a bunch of entitled teenagers that work here, so whatever. I went in to buy one shirt (because that store only has one thing I like) and I also wanted to check out their maternity section. The lines were very disorganized and when I got home I realized the cashier forgot to remove the security tag from my shirt.... so that's just great. I have to drive 20 minutes back to get it removed. What a terrible store. The funny thing is my husband is now telling me that he overheard a customer at the store (while we were checking out) telling the cashier that it was the second time they've neglected to remove the security tag from her clothing. My husband said the cashier was just scoffing and rollover her eyes at the customer. What awesome service... oh and by the way, most stores print the option to leave feedback on their receipts but this one doesn't. They also have a ton of very negative reviews online. They sure don't seem to care about their customers.

Ellie

October 5th, 2016 Tampa, FL

They say standard shipping in 3-5 business days, and I have been waiting two weeks for a package with ONE item! And the tracking number they sent me does not work. When I emailed them about it, they just told me that my package was on its way. Obviously it had better be on it way, its been two weeks! But where is it actually??? Absolutely ridiculous. Never ordering online from them again.

Beita

October 1st, 2016 Burlington, VT

I want to ask something about my order, but there is no order number to send them and I ask them if they need information from me to locate it (other than my email). They say they are not able to answer my question because they don't have my order information and they don't do or ask anything to try to find it...

Jamie Irene Parcells

August 10th, 2016 GA

I ordered a Dress for a important event. They charged me twice. Once the dress finally arrived i was infuriated!! I orderd a large i got a 4xl. It was like a blanket!!!!!!

Angela

August 7th, 2016 Houston, TX

Poor customer service. Manager rude. Lines are too long and management doesn't care. Told me if i have a problem call corporate instead of opening additional register. One of the busiest shopping weekends and not staffed properly, flow is inefficient, racks are a mess and located in a high end mall. Wont shop here.

Zach Wright

July 28th, 2016

Things that are ridiculously stupid about H&M: 1) You cannot directly call a store to see if they have an item of clothing. Customer sales rep says "because the stores are too busy to take your calls and assist customers in store at the same time." Yeah, its hard to function like EVERY OTHER STORE IN THE U.S. 2) I haven't met an in store employee that was actually helpful or seemed happy to be there. 3) The checkout is in the back of the store. Takes a few minutes to find it when its a big store. Why does this also have to be different? I don't understand the hype for this store.

Pinky sparkles

July 21st, 2016 ID

I got a H&M gift card for Christmas. I went to use it online because the closest store is about 2 1/2 hours away and I found out they don't accept gift cards. It's very irritating.

Lis cohen

July 16th, 2016 Hollywood, FL

Terrible Service, I will never never shop at this store. I can't believe how unprofessional the staff are. The prices are low but I rather paid more for a product and get better Customer Service. Store 321 is the worst of all the store the kid that they have as a manager his name ia Alex needs to go to training regarding Customer Service. His attitude is like I don't care I'm here to get a paycheck is that's it.

elina golub

June 20th, 2016 Philadelphia, PA

Went to 3 H&M locations looking for clothing, and finally decided to order online from them. Bought 270 worth, and kept 80 worth of what fit. Came to Oxford valley location in PA to return rest and they offered to either give me a partial dollar amount for everything or not take anything at all. Spoke to some guy Basil. This is most ridiculous thing ever

R Jones

June 12th, 2016 Gilbert, AZ

While I love the style and selection at this store, not to mention price, I am thoroughly disappointed that H&M does not offer product reviews on their website. I do not have an H&M in my city, so online is the only way I have access to that store. Reviews help me figure out if an item is worth buying. I don't like taking blind risks with my money. Anyone who has ever bought a dress online, only to find the stitching is off or the color does not match the picture online knows the struggle. Sure, I could send it back. But I shouldn't have to. Please H&M, add product reviews to your website. It would benefit you and your customers.

Rachel

June 4th, 2016 WA

Service with this company is BS. Everything from customer service to returns to trying to contact the company is terrible. The only thing they have going for them is cute and cheap merchandise.

Gil Mariano

May 31st, 2016 Orlando, FL

I often visit and shop at the avenues mall in jax fl. This last visit was one the worst one yet. Cashier name is STEVEN happen to be at the front counter. I simply ask him if I could leave my stuff behind the counter while my family continue to shop and he simply gave me the weirdest look and seems like never understood what i said and simply said no. I decided to simply hang on to the merchandise and ignore what just had happened. When we started to checkout, we unfortunately, had to deal with same clerk, with no greetings, no smile, like we are dealing with a grouchy, unfriendly rep of H&M. My son wanted to wear the shirt that he tried on and we ask him to ring it up and take the magnet strip. He said " you cant do that". I told him why not , we are paying for it and my son wants to wear it now. He just looked at us And started shaking his head. This makes me never want to shop at your store ever again. Steven does not understand the meaning of customer service and for him to be at your front register, put a bad image of your company. I work with customers and i will go above and beyond to make sure my customers are satisfied.