H&M

H&M is a clothing retail company that is based out of Switzerland. They operate several stores in 53 different countries. H&M is the second largest clothing retail in the store and ranks slightly higher than GAP, a US based company. We found that H&M is upgrading their stores throughout the US. A recent store that opened up in Hawaii in March of 2014 has unique artwork from local Hawaiian artists, a commentary on the cultural life of Hawaii. H&M prides itself on making each regional or area store unique to the locale.

There are many good things about H&M in terms of its corporate DNA. They control all of their retail operations in Europe, making sure that the right number of products is produced. This results in a high availability of their items online at a reasonable price. We also found that on the H&M website that there were very few items that were sold out. There is nothing more frustrating for a customer when they see a special item on sale that is no longer available.

H&M also prides itself on charity. They have a partnership with UNICEF and have raised more than $5 million for that organization. This was one of the few charity-friendly online clothing retailers that we found while doing research for this review process.

The Good

• Low Prices
  • Valuable Promotions
  • H&M has Been in Business Over 16 Years

H&M has a loyal fan base for many reasons, some of which includes:

Low Prices

Finding items of clothing at an affordable price is one of if not the most important aspects of a particular store. H&M excels in this category while maintaining high standards of quality and trendiness. Prices vary between categories, but it's reasonable to see t-shirts and long-sleeve shirts available for a low $5 to $12. There is a large number of products listed on their website. The product search tool helps locate clothing type, brand, and what other customers have purchased. You can also see other items that are particularly a good fit from similar clothing items of your choosing. There are several unique designers featured as H&M products, including Versace. They frequently reach out to designers in the industry to make items that would be appropriate fits for their stores.

Valuable Promotions

As you shop online through the H&M catalog, you will be greeted warmly with multiple promotions designed to help you save money. For example, currently H&M has a promotion that allows shoppers to save 30% off their purchase. Another promotion gives you 20% off when you sign up for their newsletter. These and other promotions are time sensitive but thankfully are replaced with other, sometimes even better, promotions when time runs out.

H&M has Been in Business over 16 Years

The online clothing business can be a challenge to break into and develop a passionate and loyal customer base. H&M has been able to do this over the past 16 years they have been operating in the United States. Their processes for both in-store and online over the years should give potential shoppers an element of confidence as they become customers. Shopping for clothes online can be a messy business with returns and refunds, and their rating indicates adequate customer resolution practices being in place currently. H&M also provides clothing options for men, women, and kids. This allows their store to become more of a one-stop shop for families searching for clothes.

The Bad

• Average Return Policy
  • H&M Does Not Offer Free Shipping

H&M falls short in two distinct areas:

Average Return Policy

While H&M has low prices and trendy products make them an enticing company to shop from, their return policy is average at best. Their return policy states 30 days being given from a purchase date to when a return will no longer be accepted. H&M does not accept items that have been worn or damaged. While there are stores who have policies much longer and shorter than this, their policy falls right in the middle of the road as far as valuable return policies are concerned. Another unfortunate feature is you can't return items purchased online in the physical store nor can you mail in store items in order to get a refund. This makes the return process frustrating for some customers.

H&M Does Not Offer Free Shipping

No free shipping option is included on their website. However, as you dig deeper into their policy it's relatively easy to see why it would be valuable to many shoppers nevertheless. Most orders are delivered within 3 to 5 business days (an additional 2 days should be given for rural addresses) and there is a flat shipping rate of $5.95 regardless of the size and weight of your package. If you have a heavy, possibly more expensive order, you won't be breaking the bank even without a free shipping option.

The Bottom Line

Overall, H&M is recommended to those searching for clothing items that are affordable and stylish. Their merchandise and costs are extremely competitive, their sale items were not frequently selling out, and customers can find deals on items and not worry about a "sold out" mark on that sale item they are wanting to purchase. However, the H&M return policy has less to be desired and they do not offer free shipping. Regardless, H&M is a solid online clothing store option that will help you look stylish and save money.

81 H&M Reviews

1. Select Your Rating

2. Subject For This Review * (Select all that apply)

0 characters

3. Review Validation*

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Next Step: Verify your email

We have sent a verification email to the following email address:

September 17th, 2017 Madison, WI

The worst place to order online customer service is no help the lie to get you to order more there website is down and does not work properly on debit cards worst experience on trying to spend 200.00 ended hanging up after 4 days of trying to buy something.

September 6th, 2017

Disgusting online service. I paid for goods without realising I needed to do a bank transfer at a later date. I then received an email a few weeks later saying I have to pay a penalty charge late fee, and that I now have a bad credit debt....all for the sake of £38. The funny thing is, I didn't receive any late notice warning beforehand. Once I found out I tried to call them and pay over the phone, but they wouldn't accept any payment. They said I had to set up a direct debit with my bank. The customer service team do not want to help either with this matter. Do not buy from this company online. They are despicable.

August 22nd, 2017

I've regularly shopped at the physical locations for over a decade so I was very excited when their online shopping launched. I ordered a basic pair of slip-on shoes from the Women's shoes section. I had purchased two pairs of similar shoes in-store before so I was confident that a size 6 would fit me. When I received the package, the shoes were extremely big - like almost an inch larger than all of my other size 6 shoes. Obviously they were men's or unisex sizing but someone had failed to make that clear on the website. I contacted customer service and their response was that I ordered a size 6, and got a size 6. Uh - THAT'S NOT THE PROBLEM. Either their customer service team is run by idiots or they just don't care to really listen to and solve customer issues. What makes it worse is that you can't return or exchange items in-stores, and you have to pay for shipping to do it online, so it's really a whole nightmare unless you know EXACTLY what you're ordering. After a few more exchanges of emails they finally said they would pay for the return shipping. What a headache. After this incident, I rarely step inside their stores anymore. Other similar stores (Zara, F21) all have much superior online shopping experience and customer service.

August 11th, 2017

Steve & Skylar at the Carolina Place Mall H&M. Show me exemplary customer service today Steven went above and beyond to help me with a purchase and I am very grateful. sincerely Erica C Thanks for a wonderful shopping experience.

July 1st, 2017 Richmond, VA

The kids clothes are great ... they don't shrink or lint ball up! I've bought my daughters clothes from The Gap, Ralph Lauren, Children's Place, Macy's, Nordstrom ... the list goes on but the H & M clothes last her the longest and they are the most affordable!

June 13th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I like H&M because of their prices and the styles that they have. The quality of the clothing is okay but for sure worth to buy for the prices they offer. Everything that I got from this store has always worked for me.

June 13th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I really like H&M. Their prices are great and clothing is very stylish. Every time I look for professional or casual styles I know that I can find it at H&M for a very low price. I have a lot of things from this store and I have loved all of things I have bought from them.

June 12th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

This store offers a lot of trendy clothing at a decent price. Their customer service is top notch.

June 10th, 2017 Draper, UT

H&M has moderately cheap clothes that are of decent quality. I like to shop here.

June 9th, 2017

Good quality clothing at a fair price. I have never had to return or replace anything because of quality reasons. Very good service.

June 8th, 2017 Ogden, UT

H&M is an incredible clothing store that offers high quality products for a low affordable price. I originally found out about H&M while I was living in Europe for a couple of years and loved the product. They will keep you stylish, up-to-date on the newest fashion trends and it's all done without breaking the bank.

June 7th, 2017 Phoenix, AZ

While the prices are great I think that sometimes it tends to put all it's eggs in one basket in serving a particular fashion sense. Variety does not seem to be H&M's forte. That's just my personal observation.

June 5th, 2017 Neola, IA

I placed an online order from H&M. This order consisted of only 4 items, all of which were similar. When I received the order, one item was missing and I had two of another. I promptly contacted H&M to inform them of their mistake. I first contacted them via telephone. I was on hold approximately 12 minutes waiting to be connected to a customer service agent. Once I was connected to an agent, I explained THEIR mistake. I was told I could ship the shirt back to them, once received they wld ship out the correct one or credit back my card. However, shipping wld be at MY expense. I told them, again, this was not my mistake. They also offered to just credit my card upon receiving the mistakenly sent shirt, rather than send me a new one. I told the agent I just wanted the one I had ordered to begin with. Long story short, H&M refused to correct their mistake. They acted as if this were a mistake I had made upon placing my order. I even sent a follow up email explaining my frustration. H&M still will not correct a mistake made by them. I have never been so disappointed in a company or a company's customer service relations. Way to look out for your customers H&M. Needless to say I would not recommend shopping at H&M.

1 1

June 5th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

The clothing is cheap and seasonal. I tend to buy things from H&M that I know I'll only be wearing for a short while because the quality of the clothes doesn't last. I've been to stores of H&M that have been out of control with clothes all over and as a customer it makes it relatively hard to find what I'm looking for in chaos.

June 2nd, 2017 Provo, UT

Clothes are cute but quality suffers because of the price.

June 1st, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

H&M has a pretty good style but can get a little feminine for my taste. The quality of the clothes isn't that great but the price of the clothes makes it totally worth it. There are always really cheap deals there and I can't complain about that.

May 31st, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I love H&M and yet also hate it. The prices sometimes are great. The quality can be good or bad. The styles good or bad. It's always a toss up, but overall pretty good.

May 29th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I like the pricing of their clothes; however, I wish the store was more organized because it's overwhelming when you go there.

1 0

May 29th, 2017 Mona, UT

H&M has cool, stylish clothes at great prices. They also have a great selection - lots of great options and a good shopping atmosphere for both me and my wife.

May 29th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I love the styles and the prices. However, they do not allow to use giftcards on their website. It makes it really difficult if you want to buy something on a giftcard.