H&M Logo

9.0

H&M is a clothing retail company that is based out of Switzerland. They operate several stores in 53 different countries. H&M is the second largest clothing retail in the store and ranks slightly higher than GAP, a US based company. We found that H&M is upgrading their stores throughout the US. A recent store that opened up in Hawaii in March of 2014 has unique artwork from local Hawaiian artists, a commentary on the cultural life of Hawaii. H&M prides itself on making each regional or area store unique to the locale. There are many good things about H&M in terms of its corporate DNA. They control all of their retail operations in Europe, making sure that the right number of products is produced. This results in a high availability of their items online at a reasonable price. We also found that on the H&M website that there were very few items that were sold out. There is nothing more frustrating for a customer when they see a special item on sale that is no longer available. H&M also prides itself on charity. They have a partnership with UNICEF and have raised more than $5 million for that organization. This was one of the few charity-friendly online clothing retailers that we found while doing research for this review process.

Nike Logo
#2 Nike chevron_right
Target Logo
#3 Target chevron_right

The Good

• Low Prices
  • Valuable Promotions
  • H&M has Been in Business Over 16 Years
H&M has a loyal fan base for many reasons, some of which includes:

Low Prices

Finding items of clothing at an affordable price is one of if not the most important aspects of a particular store. H&M excels in this category while maintaining high standards of quality and trendiness. Prices vary between categories, but it's reasonable to see t-shirts and long-sleeve shirts available for a low $5 to $12. There is a large number of products listed on their website. The product search tool helps locate clothing type, brand, and what other customers have purchased. You can also see other items that are particularly a good fit from similar clothing items of your choosing. There are several unique designers featured as H&M products, including Versace. They frequently reach out to designers in the industry to make items that would be appropriate fits for their stores.

Valuable Promotions

As you shop online through the H&M catalog, you will be greeted warmly with multiple promotions designed to help you save money. For example, currently H&M has a promotion that allows shoppers to save 30% off their purchase. Another promotion gives you 20% off when you sign up for their newsletter. These and other promotions are time sensitive but thankfully are replaced with other, sometimes even better, promotions when time runs out.

H&M has Been in Business over 16 Years

The online clothing business can be a challenge to break into and develop a passionate and loyal customer base. H&M has been able to do this over the past 16 years they have been operating in the United States. Their processes for both in-store and online over the years should give potential shoppers an element of confidence as they become customers. Shopping for clothes online can be a messy business with returns and refunds, and their rating indicates adequate customer resolution practices being in place currently. H&M also provides clothing options for men, women, and kids. This allows their store to become more of a one-stop shop for families searching for clothes.

The Bad

• Average Return Policy
  • H&M Does Not Offer Free Shipping
H&M falls short in two distinct areas:

Average Return Policy

While H&M has low prices and trendy products make them an enticing company to shop from, their return policy is average at best. Their return policy states 30 days being given from a purchase date to when a return will no longer be accepted. H&M does not accept items that have been worn or damaged. While there are stores who have policies much longer and shorter than this, their policy falls right in the middle of the road as far as valuable return policies are concerned. Another unfortunate feature is you can't return items purchased online in the physical store nor can you mail in store items in order to get a refund. This makes the return process frustrating for some customers.

H&M Does Not Offer Free Shipping

No free shipping option is included on their website. However, as you dig deeper into their policy it's relatively easy to see why it would be valuable to many shoppers nevertheless. Most orders are delivered within 3 to 5 business days (an additional 2 days should be given for rural addresses) and there is a flat shipping rate of $5.95 regardless of the size and weight of your package. If you have a heavy, possibly more expensive order, you won't be breaking the bank even without a free shipping option.

The Bottom Line

Overall, H&M is recommended to those searching for clothing items that are affordable and stylish. Their merchandise and costs are extremely competitive, their sale items were not frequently selling out, and customers can find deals on items and not worry about a "sold out" mark on that sale item they are wanting to purchase. However, the H&M return policy has less to be desired and they do not offer free shipping. Regardless, H&M is a solid online clothing store option that will help you look stylish and save money.

3.7

KLF Fort Worth, TX

I love the price and quality of children’s’ clothing for my granddaughter! My chief complaint are the shipping times. Take this into account if buying for a holiday or special occasion!

Caloway Salt Lake City, UT

H&M has really good clothes at very good prices. I do not dry my clothes in a dryer which helps the clothes I buy from H&M last longer. The shirts are the clothes that will wear out the fastest if not taken care of. The sweaters are really nice and they have really nice dress pants. The jeans run small and I normally don't buy them. The shoes will wear out fast as well. If you're looking for an economical way to look good, H&M is the place to go.

Mason Allen Pleasant Grove, UT

Great customer service especially with them finally changing the return policy to be able to get refunds instead of store credit. They have great quality merchandise and have sales a lot which makes it one of my top stores to shop.

Ralph Watson

Good value for the money! It's easy to find the clothes you need at a good price and of good quality.

Brooklyn Bishop Los Angeles, CA

H&M is such a good clothing store. All their clothing is fashionable and in style. The pricing and quality is amazing, and there are sizes for everyone. I would totally recommend!

Peter Ernst Edmonton, AB

H&M online is the worst company to get things from online they take way longer than they say it will to ship, it comes out of the U.S. so it takes longer to get to you. (over a Month). The items were wrong so I returned them just to be told after waiting a week after they got the items back that my refund would take not 3-5 days as explained in the return notice but 30 days. Still have not received my credit. Never using them again

Inara Jivanee Katy, TX

I've bought some cute oversized hoodies and they are pretty nice quality. They are not super thick which is helpful for Texas weather, so I like the product. I would buy from here again.

Bergen Billings Cerritos, CA

I love their clothes specifically their jeans because they are always in style. I always am exited to go shopping there because I know I am going to find something cute.

Ben Denver Buffalo, NY

Cool shop. Large assortment of goods. Low price for quality clothing. The assortment of the store is quickly updated, there are many great discounts. Fast and pleasant service.

Luke Gibson Provo, UT

H&M is a great place to get fashionable clothing at pretty fantastic prices. One great thing about them is that their locations are often found outside major cities, making it easy to find good clothes if you live in such a place. It needs to be said though that some of their clothes are not great quality and that this doesn't always correspond with price: many of the men's cotton button-up shirts seem to disintegrate within just a few washes. However, if you are discerning, you can get a lot of fantastic long-lasting clothes for a great price (several jackets, shirts, and pants I have from there I still wear going on 7 years now. DON'T buy their shoes.

erika clayton Lehi, UT

I love the selection and prices. I love the benefits included with the reward club

Emily Tueller Alpine, UT

I can always find something I like, but it seems like their sizes are too small compared to other stores.

David Glauser West Jordan, UT

Their clothes are an incredible value but not the highest quality. Some shirts are see through and don't last very long.

Chelsea Snow Eagle Mountain, UT

one of my favorite stores. good customer service and affordable prices. almost always go there when I'm at the mall

Steve Ashby Portland, OR

I always go into an H&M store with high hopes...but come out with nothing. They have good prices on clothing and a lot of inventory, but I think you have to be under 25 to appreciate their shirts, pants and accessories.

Karen Evans Des Moines, IA

SHIPPING FAILURE!!! Ordered 11/19/20 with a 12-15 day shipping notice. Items shipped 11/26/20 and reached their shipping partner on 12/1/20 (never accepted by USPS). No updates since. I called CS last week and was told there wasn't anything they could do until today. I called back today and they said there still isn't any movement (no kidding) and they would open an investigation. I'm not hopeful after seeing all the other reviews. This was my first (AND LAST) online order from H&M.

Desiree Pleasant Grove, UT

This store is very trendy, super affordable, and has tons of variety. I've bought so many cute clothes there and accessories! Love this shop.

Cassie Guzman Des Moines, IA

Don’t recommend purchasing from this place one bit. I paid through PayPal like I do everything else and somehow H&M pulled up my address from 2 years ago that I removed from my PayPal account. Called right away after placing order to just be told they can’t change my address and I’ll have to try contacting the shipping carrier to get it delivered to the correct address which I couldn’t do because H&M requested I can’t change the delivery address. I called again to see about refund since I can’t receive it and they told me I had to wait until package was delivered to wrong address and they can issue the refund then so I called back once again after this happened. They are now telling me I have to wait until the 8th of November in order to hear back on whatever they are doing and emailing the carrier to do whatever. This was all pointless and a waste of time and money. I paid over a month ago and they continue to play games and say they can’t change anything or issue the refund.

Iris Sanders Denver, CO

I really like that H&M has great basics and styling pieces that compliment my wardrobe. However, I am a little turned off by the fact that they are a fast-fashion brand. I wish that the clothes from here were made in a more sustainable way because it would motivate me to buy more clothes from them.

Shante Reeder Draper, UT

Cutest clothes, great prices, always in style! I love that it is so affordable to dress my entire family without breaking the bank! Great selection, and the quality holds up!

Pekeiydra Williams Tallahassee, FL

H&M is always clean and organize which I can appreciate because when I go shopping I hate having to dig through clothes. So having the store neat makes shopping so much faster and smoother. The employees are always on the floor ready to assist when needed.

Emily Crawfordville, FL

I always find amazing clothing deals on their online website, it's easy to navigate the site and has helpful filters to find just what you need. The quality of the clothes is very good, and I enjoy that they are doing clothing recycling now to help save the environment.

Kaysha Love Las Vegas, NV

I love H&M, this company is always up to date on the most fashionable clothes on the market. They also have a huge variety of different types of clothing from business professional to casual. I also love how many locations H&M has.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

H&M simply has the best trends on clothing online. They have figured out how to stay current. For my money, their online website is intuitive, giving a great sense of personal style. Helping you stay young and fresh with the best brands!

Stephanie Byrd Tallahassee, FL

H&M is the perfect spot for an occasional or even last minute outfit. This is one clothing store that has high end products without the high end price. The quality of their fabrics are unmatched and long lasting. I highly recommend for others to shop there regularly.

Lucia Demarco Wilmington, DE

I ordered from them , reluctantly as I read many very bad reviews. I tried anyway, and I was VERY pleasantly surprised. The quality of the clothing is great , I got exactly what I ordered each time , in a timely fashion.The only thing I can say my last order went to the wrong address, that was usps fault though.

Natasha Klimovych Rathdrum, ID

I love h&m , love the clothes and how you cam get a good deal. But i absolutely hate when ordering online and your items have arrived but they tend to always not send 1-3 items. Like there out of stock when in fact there not and i have to reorder those items. It pisses me off so bad and im waisting my time and money!!! I would give a 2 star but because the clothes are great and so are the prices its a 4.

Hannah Pleasant Grove, UT

I love H&M. Their prices are affordable, and their styles are so cute (and sometimes a little weird, but it's fine). Some of my favorite tops are from H&M! The only con I've found is that their clothes usually fit a little tall & skinny.

Nichole Davidson Sandy, UT

Fun atmosphere with great prices. Comparable to Old Navy in price level but better executed and more trends and options. Easy to find whatever it is you want or have an idea of - their selection is wide and you always walk out happy. Quality isn't great, but I'd rather spend little money on trendy clothing/accessories that aren't going to stay in style.

Ericka

Steve & Skylar at the Carolina Place Mall H&M. Show me exemplary customer service today Steven went above and beyond to help me with a purchase and I am very grateful. sincerely Erica C Thanks for a wonderful shopping experience.

Brianne sisca

Took almost 3 weeks for a delivery!!! That has never happened at any other site I ordered from. I called and got some $ off of price, but that didn't not make up for not having gift on time for job X-mas party. I shop online for 98% of gifts. Glad they tried to make it right and I know S--- happens. BTW, I was on hold nearly 60 minutes to remedy the issue! That was also a first they need to address.

R Jones Gilbert, AZ

While I love the style and selection at this store, not to mention price, I am thoroughly disappointed that H&M does not offer product reviews on their website. I do not have an H&M in my city, so online is the only way I have access to that store. Reviews help me figure out if an item is worth buying. I don't like taking blind risks with my money. Anyone who has ever bought a dress online, only to find the stitching is off or the color does not match the picture online knows the struggle. Sure, I could send it back. But I shouldn't have to. Please H&M, add product reviews to your website. It would benefit you and your customers.

Vampire

We want you to know that we are very pleased with the quality of service your company provides. We sincerely appreciate your polite and the efficient way your employee conduct the service. We have recommended your company to others because of our satisfaction with your service and your product. We look forward to buy your product again.

Jane Cathrine Tablizo East Orange, NJ

I Always buy clothes for my family at h&m, especially for my 4yr old daughter. I love h&M but I hope that cashiers will do their job a little faster coz they're really slow and a lot of customers are like having a bad day bcoz of it. I actually went to h&M at 59 columbus, told the lady cashier nicely "I'm sorry I'm kinda late alrdy", coz she was just so slow and talking with the other cashier and there's a long line. Then she told me that that's the fastest she can do (but she was really slow), then she was not being nice and arguing with me. Just really ruined my day

Tami Allen Gilbert, AZ

I love shopping at H&M because there is truly something for everyone, no matter your age. They have a wide selection of products for different types of men and women, and their wide range of sizes reflect that everyone is different. I love that I can go there with my teenage girls and find just as much to buy as they do. I also love the fact that they keep prices low, even though their clothes are a little bit higher end. My clothes I've bought there have been high quality, and have stood up to numerous washings.

Jayla Thomas Jacksonville, FL

The clothes are very cute and affordable! If you ever need a great outfit and you are on a budget, this is definitely the place.

Nya Tallahassee, FL

I love this store .Always have everything I need , I love to shop so this store is perfect !! Especially for business and formal attire

kaylee Phoenix, AZ

I really enjoy shopping at H&M! Some of their clothes are very affordable, but some can be priced highly. Overall, the clothes and accessories are very aesthetic and stylish!

Christopher Whiting Los Angeles, CA

I love H&M they have so many trendy things for amazing prices. I never feel bad about getting kid's clothes because it's so affordable and durable.

Paige Stockard Wichita, KS

H&M has some really good deals, but in the end you get what you pay for. The quality isn't amazing, and some of the styles are super cute but most are a little tacky or just things that I wouldn't wear.

Salma ,

The clothes here seem to be very attractive in terms of price and look but when you think of the way they were created and then the whole waste.. i dont encourage that!

Ioana Asiata Herriman, UT

H&M has the cutest selection of clothes. From women to children styles they're all affordable and in style. Their shoe selection isn't very large but always has some cute stuff! The stores are usually packed with very little cashiers so lines are usually long.

Audrey Mitchell Managua, MN

H&M is a great store if you are looking for the newest Women's fashion. The clothes are up to date in style and are well priced if you look at the clearance section with has great options.

Kimberly LeBaron Delta, UT

H&M has always been one of my favorite stores to shop at! Their clothing is cute, for a very reasonable price. Some of their items can be somewhat cheap quality though, so I would give them 4 starts. But the stores are always clean and the staff are always pleasant.

Val Walnut Creek, CA

Love the Concious sustainable clothing and I’m intended to keep purchasing it. But I hate getting tons of plastic with each and every order. Even a tiny baby T-shirt has its separate plastic bag! That actually makes this clothing not very sustainable. Why not just wrap the whole order in paper and put it in a box? So that you get only one box and one piece of paper for recycling. Some other stores do that.

N Broad Brook, CT

i love H&M and would prefer to give it 5 stars but I can't. Why does it take them to deliver anything and everything i order online at least 10 business days to arrive to my house? Even during off season. I love the brand, clothes, style, i shop here besides the experience with online shopping/ordering. I mean sometimes i buy it with time in advance because there is an event and i find myself having to still buy something else because it NEVER arrives between 2-3 days. Please fix this and i'll give you 5 stars!

Paula P.

I like their variety and I also like their business ethics regarding sustainable fashion. I find that their stores can be a bit crowded (product-wise) which makes it difficult to see everything easily.

Auditi Gilbert, AZ

H&M sometimes has the best prices for dresses! The material of their clothes are light and good for the summer. I struggle a bit to find the right fit, but overall their clothes are cute and comfortable with a reasonable price.

Bryan Greenville, SC

I have been a customer of H&M for many years. Recently, I ordered some items online using the mobile H&M app and my items were sent to my previous address even though my correct address was listed as my shipping address. So I’ve contacted H&M as soon as I realized this and there was pretty much nothing they could do for me other than out of me 20% off of my next order. Due to the items being on sale they were no longer available in my size to order. I asked if the items could be redirected and they assured me that there was nothing that they could do. I asked if they could contact in the warehouse with the items will be shipped to and to stop the return order and they assured me that there is nothing they could do. I asked if the items could be bought from another store and shipped to my home address and they informed me that was something they do not do. I even asked if there was anyway to alert me when the items were back in stock, again they stated that, that was something they did not offer. I just think in 2018 H&M should provide more ways for customer satisfaction especially since this was not my mistake. A simple I’m sorry isn’t good enough.

Cassidy Gundersen Orem, UT

I’m not the greatest fan of H&M but I do think they have some of the cutest baby clothes out there. Their stuff is stylish and fairly inexpensive. I like that they have conscious clothing lines and they give you a discount for recycling clothes. Great job giving back and being environmentally aware.