H&M

7.6

H&M is a clothing retail company that is based out of Switzerland. They operate several stores in 53 different countries. H&M is the second largest clothing retail in the store and ranks slightly higher than GAP, a US based company. We found that H&M is upgrading their stores throughout the US. A recent store that opened up in Hawaii in March of 2014 has unique artwork from local Hawaiian artists, a commentary on the cultural life of Hawaii. H&M prides itself on making each regional or area store unique to the locale.

There are many good things about H&M in terms of its corporate DNA. They control all of their retail operations in Europe, making sure that the right number of products is produced. This results in a high availability of their items online at a reasonable price. We also found that on the H&M website that there were very few items that were sold out. There is nothing more frustrating for a customer when they see a special item on sale that is no longer available.

H&M also prides itself on charity. They have a partnership with UNICEF and have raised more than $5 million for that organization. This was one of the few charity-friendly online clothing retailers that we found while doing research for this review process.

The Good

• Low Prices
  • Valuable Promotions
  • H&M has Been in Business Over 16 Years

H&M has a loyal fan base for many reasons, some of which includes:

Low Prices

Finding items of clothing at an affordable price is one of if not the most important aspects of a particular store. H&M excels in this category while maintaining high standards of quality and trendiness. Prices vary between categories, but it's reasonable to see t-shirts and long-sleeve shirts available for a low $5 to $12. There is a large number of products listed on their website. The product search tool helps locate clothing type, brand, and what other customers have purchased. You can also see other items that are particularly a good fit from similar clothing items of your choosing. There are several unique designers featured as H&M products, including Versace. They frequently reach out to designers in the industry to make items that would be appropriate fits for their stores.

Valuable Promotions

As you shop online through the H&M catalog, you will be greeted warmly with multiple promotions designed to help you save money. For example, currently H&M has a promotion that allows shoppers to save 30% off their purchase. Another promotion gives you 20% off when you sign up for their newsletter. These and other promotions are time sensitive but thankfully are replaced with other, sometimes even better, promotions when time runs out.

H&M has Been in Business over 16 Years

The online clothing business can be a challenge to break into and develop a passionate and loyal customer base. H&M has been able to do this over the past 16 years they have been operating in the United States. Their processes for both in-store and online over the years should give potential shoppers an element of confidence as they become customers. Shopping for clothes online can be a messy business with returns and refunds, and their rating indicates adequate customer resolution practices being in place currently. H&M also provides clothing options for men, women, and kids. This allows their store to become more of a one-stop shop for families searching for clothes.

The Bad

• Average Return Policy
  • H&M Does Not Offer Free Shipping

H&M falls short in two distinct areas:

Average Return Policy

While H&M has low prices and trendy products make them an enticing company to shop from, their return policy is average at best. Their return policy states 30 days being given from a purchase date to when a return will no longer be accepted. H&M does not accept items that have been worn or damaged. While there are stores who have policies much longer and shorter than this, their policy falls right in the middle of the road as far as valuable return policies are concerned. Another unfortunate feature is you can't return items purchased online in the physical store nor can you mail in store items in order to get a refund. This makes the return process frustrating for some customers.

H&M Does Not Offer Free Shipping

No free shipping option is included on their website. However, as you dig deeper into their policy it's relatively easy to see why it would be valuable to many shoppers nevertheless. Most orders are delivered within 3 to 5 business days (an additional 2 days should be given for rural addresses) and there is a flat shipping rate of $5.95 regardless of the size and weight of your package. If you have a heavy, possibly more expensive order, you won't be breaking the bank even without a free shipping option.

The Bottom Line

Overall, H&M is recommended to those searching for clothing items that are affordable and stylish. Their merchandise and costs are extremely competitive, their sale items were not frequently selling out, and customers can find deals on items and not worry about a "sold out" mark on that sale item they are wanting to purchase. However, the H&M return policy has less to be desired and they do not offer free shipping. Regardless, H&M is a solid online clothing store option that will help you look stylish and save money.

2.1

Shubham

January 11th, 2018 Jersey City, NJ

Yo guys this is the worst website I’m tell you guys don’t do online shopping from here I ordered sneakers on Jan 2 they still ain’t here guys. Never shopping again from this website!!!!! Bad service!!!!!!!!!

Vaishali

December 19th, 2017 DETAILS

The Very worst shop tht I have come across.......the staff doesn't value the customers.....very rude....go to that shop if u don't want to feel good, especially the one in VR MALL WHITEFIELD

Tara Beckert

December 19th, 2017 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS

I love H&M clothing! They have a huge selection at incredibly affordable prices. Their website is easy to navigate. Clothes ship quickly and are easy to return if needed.

Suzanna Wootton

December 18th, 2017 Springville, UT DETAILS

Really cute clothes for a great price (if you buy them on sale). Some of the clothing I have bought from there isn't the best quality, but it works.

Patrick

December 14th, 2017 Orem, UT DETAILS

I bought some suspenders here once. It is quality stuff and I still use them now. They are a solid pair of suspenders. It also has some other cool hipster stuff.

Kaylee

December 13th, 2017 West Jordan, UT DETAILS

The clothes are cheap and stores are crowed with too much product and are messy. If you want clothes that are going to last a long time this is not the place to buy them.

Cassidy Gundersen

December 13th, 2017 Orem, UT DETAILS

I’m not the greatest fan of H&M but I do think they have some of the cutest baby clothes out there. Their stuff is stylish and fairly inexpensive. I like that they have conscious clothing lines and they give you a discount for recycling clothes. Great job giving back and being environmentally aware.

Carlee Toone

December 11th, 2017 Provo, UT DETAILS

I like H&M, However, the stores always seem messy to me and the sizing can be beyond frustrating because it is not consistent. I never shop at H&M online for this reason.

Hannah

December 11th, 2017 Provo, UT DETAILS

I love H&M! There are so many different options to choose from and they have great prices!

Kelsey

December 11th, 2017 Provo, UT DETAILS

H&M offers stylish clothing at really affordable prices. They have great sales and are easy to work with online or in the store. Their sizing seems to differ from other clothing companies at times, but it's easy to figure out. They deliver their clothes in a timely manner and returns are easy.

Lindsey

December 10th, 2017 American Fork, UT DETAILS

I've shopped online with H&M before, but their clothing sizes have never really fit me well, especially pants. They have a great return policy though if you want to buy them, try them, and return them if you don't like them.

Hannah

December 9th, 2017 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I love H&M. Their prices are affordable, and their styles are so cute (and sometimes a little weird, but it's fine). Some of my favorite tops are from H&M! The only con I've found is that their clothes usually fit a little tall & skinny.

Holly Newswanger

December 8th, 2017 Lititz, PA DETAILS

Worst experience I've ever had ordering clothing online. Website said it would ship within 3 days, after 5 days passed and I asked about it I was told their website was wrong and needed to be updated, was also not given a reason or explanation. Then, I am anxiously awaiting my package 3 weeks after ordering and they sent me the wrong damn thing. Now I have to waste time and money returning and exchanging. Terrible customer service. Seemed like my questions were an inconvenience to the person helping me at customer service.

William

December 8th, 2017 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

Very cheap store, and you get what you pay for. If I need an outfit to destroy, I go here.

Danielle

November 29th, 2017 Syracuse, UT DETAILS

Cute clothes, very good price. Just wish they had more guy options.

Raquel

November 29th, 2017 Sandy, UT DETAILS

Some of the clothes are poorly made. Always a long line and there never seems to be enough cashiers.

Jackie

November 25th, 2017 Pompano Beach, FL

I usually shop at H & M store. On 11/20/17 I visited the store in Sawgrass Mills Mall, Florida. There was a very loud noise where the clothing alarm was going off non-stop at the checkout.   We were all waiting helplessly and distressed on a long line during the holiday season.  I developed excruting migraine headache from the constand,  nagging, loud noise coming from the malfunctioning alarms. I asked the supervisor when they were going to fix the problem. He replied the noise was there to remind the cashiers to take off the clothing alarms. I will never go back to visit that store and I will tell all my friends and coworkers about the unpleasant experience I had.

Alle

November 20th, 2017 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

I love the clothes here but the sizes are much smaller than normal sizes, it is very frustrating, so I always have to go a size or two up but the clothes are always cute.

Yan Wang

November 18th, 2017 Houston, TX

Horrible customer service. Never received the package.

Luke Gibson

November 12th, 2017 Provo, UT DETAILS

H&M is a great place to get fashionable clothing at pretty fantastic prices. One great thing about them is that their locations are often found outside major cities, making it easy to find good clothes if you live in such a place. It needs to be said though that some of their clothes are not great quality and that this doesn't always correspond with price: many of the men's cotton button-up shirts seem to disintegrate within just a few washes. However, if you are discerning, you can get a lot of fantastic long-lasting clothes for a great price (several jackets, shirts, and pants I have from there I still wear going on 7 years now. DON'T buy their shoes.

Hayley Lambdin

November 7th, 2017 Orem, UT DETAILS

H&M definitely has a plethora of clothing but the quality isn't the best and it's very hard to find everything you need. If you are looking for cheap, cute clothing though-this is your place!

John Smith

November 7th, 2017 Provo, UT DETAILS

Inexpensive but fashionable clothing, not really made to last but it's affordable.

Abbey Richards

November 6th, 2017 American Fork, UT DETAILS

I get a lot of shirts from H&M. It is a really good place to get basic clothes. I have found that a lot of people where their clothes, so I don't feel like what I am getting is unique. I do shop there though because it is cheap and convenient.

Megan

November 5th, 2017 Coalville, UT DETAILS

Cute clothes for cheap. Some of the stores are messy.

Dale Zollinger

November 5th, 2017 Kaysville, UT DETAILS

Huge selection. Can always find something for everyone. Reasonable prices.

Brooke

November 5th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

Clothes are cheap and don’t last very long.

Jami Myers

November 4th, 2017 Victor, ID DETAILS

Love the selection of girls clothes. Girl sizes are true to size.

Derek Heiner

November 4th, 2017 Centerville, UT DETAILS

I don't shop there a lot but when I do go it's really easy to find things that I like. The quality of clothes are pretty good. Also I wish the mens section was bigger, the women section is huge and the mens is tiny.

Nichole Davidson

November 3rd, 2017 Sandy, UT DETAILS

Fun atmosphere with great prices. Comparable to Old Navy in price level but better executed and more trends and options. Easy to find whatever it is you want or have an idea of - their selection is wide and you always walk out happy. Quality isn't great, but I'd rather spend little money on trendy clothing/accessories that aren't going to stay in style.

Stevie

November 3rd, 2017 American Fork, UT DETAILS

Good quality for the price. Have purchased in store and online and have been happy with both. They lost one of my online orders and sent another one immediately.

Alex Murphy

November 2nd, 2017 Reno, NV DETAILS

I bought all of my wedding party suits from here. The suits were really cheap and have help up super well. They look great too. I don't think that other H&M products have great quality, but there suits were great!

Katelyn Empey

October 29th, 2017 Logan, UT DETAILS

I love the style and clothes they have to offer. The quality of those clothes isn't the best, but the quality matches the price.

Shelly Zollinger

October 28th, 2017 Kaysville, UT DETAILS

great store for christmas gifts fpr my teenagers. Great service. always a good selection to choose from

Shalese

October 27th, 2017 Provo, UT DETAILS

Always get complements on my clothes from H&M. They always have cute stuff on sale too.

Landon

October 26th, 2017 Centerville, UT DETAILS

I love H&M for their jeans. It's the only place I will buy jeans from because they're very comfortable and stretchy. Also they are very affordable, I have multiple pairs.

Cher

October 25th, 2017 Leesburg, VA DETAILS

H&M have nice men's shirts - great quality & inexpensive.

TubbyT

October 16th, 2017 Philadelphia, PA

I purchased a white blouse, p/n 05201056 in June. It sat in my closet for 3 months, finally wore it in September. Few hours into the day, I noticed the threads were coming out at all major seams. So I emailed H&M customer service the very same day. They told me, if purchased online, then to ship it back for full refund, and if I bought it in store then take it back to any store and speak to the manager. When I got to the store today, the manager said I they can give me a store credit but not full refund since it had been past 30 days. I went to the Philly location at Chestnut and 16th. I explained them the timeline, and how it sat in the closet for 3 months before I wore it. Also, that I had other priorities to take care of then to come complain about a store. But they were so adamant on their 30 day policy and store credit vs full refund on my card. I've been a customer for 15 years, and this was literally my first time complaining about any product but they won't accommodate a customer. I asked Basil (store manager), if he bought clothes at H&M, and he said no. Well there you go, he know the quality sucks but is not willing to listen to a customer. I even called the corporate customer service and got the same response. They wanted to give me a store credit for a store that I no longer trust, and they would most likely put the product back in clearance rack. It's a win-win for them, it's the corporations strategy. So in my defense, i'm actually going to donate a $25, poor quality product to salvation army. I wasn't fighting for my $25, I was fighting against the policy. For H&M customers don't matter anything, as long as they are making. Moving forward, I will not be shopping at this location anymore. They are money minting company, for very poorly produced quality.

Lynda Daluz

September 17th, 2017 Madison, WI

The worst place to order online customer service is no help the lie to get you to order more there website is down and does not work properly on debit cards worst experience on trying to spend 200.00 ended hanging up after 4 days of trying to buy something.

scott Barber

September 6th, 2017

Disgusting online service. I paid for goods without realising I needed to do a bank transfer at a later date. I then received an email a few weeks later saying I have to pay a penalty charge late fee, and that I now have a bad credit debt....all for the sake of £38. The funny thing is, I didn't receive any late notice warning beforehand. Once I found out I tried to call them and pay over the phone, but they wouldn't accept any payment. They said I had to set up a direct debit with my bank. The customer service team do not want to help either with this matter. Do not buy from this company online. They are despicable.

patdickson

September 5th, 2017

Bought item on-line and I am unable to return it to a store. This is inconvenient and a really poor customer service model. Don't buy on-line from H&M. For that matter don't buy from H&M.