H&M Logo

6.5

LAST UPDATED: March 10th, 2022
H&M is a clothing retail company that is based out of Switzerland. They operate several stores in 53 different countries. H&M is the second largest clothing retail in the store and ranks slightly higher than GAP, a US based company. We found that H&M is upgrading their stores throughout the US. A recent store that opened up in Hawaii in March of 2014 has unique artwork from local Hawaiian artists, a commentary on the cultural life of Hawaii. H&M prides itself on making each regional or area store unique to the locale. There are many good things about H&M in terms of its corporate DNA. They control all of their retail operations in Europe, making sure that the right number of products is produced. This results in a high availability of their items online at a reasonable price. We also found that on the H&M website that there were very few items that were sold out. There is nothing more frustrating for a customer when they see a special item on sale that is no longer available. H&M also prides itself on charity. They have a partnership with UNICEF and have raised more than $5 million for that organization. This was one of the few charity-friendly online clothing retailers that we found while doing research for this review process.

Amazon Logo
#1 Amazon chevron_right
Nike Logo
#2 Nike chevron_right
Kohl's Logo
#3 Kohl's chevron_right

The Good

• Low Prices
  • Valuable Promotions
  • H&M has Been in Business Over 16 Years
H&M has a loyal fan base for many reasons, some of which includes:

Low Prices

Finding items of clothing at an affordable price is one of if not the most important aspects of a particular store. H&M excels in this category while maintaining high standards of quality and trendiness. Prices vary between categories, but it's reasonable to see t-shirts and long-sleeve shirts available for a low $5 to $12. There is a large number of products listed on their website. The product search tool helps locate clothing type, brand, and what other customers have purchased. You can also see other items that are particularly a good fit from similar clothing items of your choosing. There are several unique designers featured as H&M products, including Versace. They frequently reach out to designers in the industry to make items that would be appropriate fits for their stores.

Valuable Promotions

As you shop online through the H&M catalog, you will be greeted warmly with multiple promotions designed to help you save money. For example, currently H&M has a promotion that allows shoppers to save 30% off their purchase. Another promotion gives you 20% off when you sign up for their newsletter. These and other promotions are time sensitive but thankfully are replaced with other, sometimes even better, promotions when time runs out.

H&M has Been in Business over 16 Years

The online clothing business can be a challenge to break into and develop a passionate and loyal customer base. H&M has been able to do this over the past 16 years they have been operating in the United States. Their processes for both in-store and online over the years should give potential shoppers an element of confidence as they become customers. Shopping for clothes online can be a messy business with returns and refunds, and their rating indicates adequate customer resolution practices being in place currently. H&M also provides clothing options for men, women, and kids. This allows their store to become more of a one-stop shop for families searching for clothes.

The Bad

• Average Return Policy
  • H&M Does Not Offer Free Shipping
H&M falls short in two distinct areas:

Average Return Policy

While H&M has low prices and trendy products make them an enticing company to shop from, their return policy is average at best. Their return policy states 30 days being given from a purchase date to when a return will no longer be accepted. H&M does not accept items that have been worn or damaged. While there are stores who have policies much longer and shorter than this, their policy falls right in the middle of the road as far as valuable return policies are concerned. Another unfortunate feature is you can't return items purchased online in the physical store nor can you mail in store items in order to get a refund. This makes the return process frustrating for some customers.

H&M Does Not Offer Free Shipping

No free shipping option is included on their website. However, as you dig deeper into their policy it's relatively easy to see why it would be valuable to many shoppers nevertheless. Most orders are delivered within 3 to 5 business days (an additional 2 days should be given for rural addresses) and there is a flat shipping rate of $5.95 regardless of the size and weight of your package. If you have a heavy, possibly more expensive order, you won't be breaking the bank even without a free shipping option.

The Bottom Line

Overall, H&M is recommended to those searching for clothing items that are affordable and stylish. Their merchandise and costs are extremely competitive, their sale items were not frequently selling out, and customers can find deals on items and not worry about a "sold out" mark on that sale item they are wanting to purchase. However, the H&M return policy has less to be desired and they do not offer free shipping. Regardless, H&M is a solid online clothing store option that will help you look stylish and save money.

3.8

Mario Martin Montgomery, TX

I've always been aware of H&M for several years, but I never shopped there because I thought H&M was for women. This past summer, I was with my teenage daughter and she wanted to go to H&M for her school shopping. As my daughter was making her selections, I decided to do some browsing myself. Surprisingly, I found some amazing men clothing items...I did go online later after my daughter returned to school and did some shopping for myself lol! Now, and after my initial H&M website experience I prefer the online website shopping for the absolute convenience!

Amelia C Mobile, AL

My husband and I LOVE H&M. They always have trending clothes with so many different sizes. H&M has everything like clothes to go out on the town or clothes for relaxing at home or going on vacation. The clothes are so affordable and look so stylish. They are so soft and really make me feel so great in them.

Brynlee Dalton Riverton, UT

H&M is SUCH an amazing company! There is a huge variety of products! From sweaters to shorts, there really is something for everyone, and for every time of year! I love H&M so much! I would definitely recommend H&M to a friend.

Amanda Morris Carvajal Dallas, TX

Every time I have visited, the store always has stylish clothing for men and women at reasonable prices. With a teenage daughter and a teenage son, the both usually come away with fashionable finds. I feel the pricing is very reasonable as well. We recently needed a particular dress style for my daughter's Halloween costume idea and could find the dress style nowhere. We were running out of time, as it was the day before Halloween and had pretty much given up. However, I suggested we check out H&M, and sure enough, we found a suitable dress for the look she was going for. She can also continue to wear the dress as regular wear, so it was a definite win for us. I am also happy to say that a gift card given to me several years back was still accepted and usable, saving us even more money. Every experience I have had with the store has been positive at this point both with clothing options, price and customer service.

Guy Salt Lake City, UT

Love that you always have items that are in style for the season. Your rewards program and website are easy to use and you always have a good selection of sizing available in store.

Heather Riverton, UT

My teen and young adult sons really like the H&M dress shirts. I hope they get them in stock again. They fit nice and my favorite part is they are easy care/virtually wrinkle free!

Brynlee Dalton Herriman, UT

I love H&M so much! There are so many different products to choose from! Personally, I like the sweaters and headbands. But there are many other options as well! H&M is the place to shop if you want super amazing products!

Marci Randall Sandy, UT

I love the unique styles but also the simplicity of the clothes they carry. I find their prices to be reasonably priced. I love the kids clothes! They are darling!

Laurel Dalton Salt Lake City, UT

While the quality isn't always the greatest, H&M is the perfect place for stylish, trendy fashion! This is the perfect place to find the latest styles while still not breaking the bank. I would highly recommend H&M to shoppers young and old.

Adam Sokal Warsaw, 14

I like that at H&M you can find clothes for the whole family. There are plenty of things for women, kids, men and even for households. You can find everything that you need in one shop and save time.

Nashali Vescovacci Fort White, FL

The clothing that this company sells is very high quality. Their customer service is great and they have a large variety of clothing that they sell. They styles range from casual to business, which is very helpful variety when shopping.

Carla G Atlanta, GA

This store does not have ANY maternity/nursing clothes at physical stores and they have the WORST online service and delivery EVER! Orders are always late and when the item received is damaged their response was "return the damaged one, order a new one and wait another week"... USELESS

Saylor D Herriman, UT

H&M is very affordable and has a variety of styles. However, occasionally I can't find what I'm looking for, or the styles don't match my specific style. Overall has a very nice selection though.

Kaylee Gay Chicago, IL

I really like the clothing options at H&M and think they have very cute stuff. However, their customer service was very poor. When I go into a store most of the time the employees are too busy gossiping about their coworkers or not doing anything helpful. I also felt like they were kind of rude whenever I interrupted their conversation when I just needed help getting a shirt down from off the rack. I am not a huge fan of how their employees ignore the customers a lot of the time, but I do like the clothing they sell!

Brittney Mac Gregor Louisville, KY

Although H&M have clothing that resembles the latest fashions and most importantly, carry plus size clothing, the clothing is made with thin cheap materials. I have bought several blouses and dresses from H&M, but they do not last very long. You can expect your clothing to last around a year or so, and if you wear it frequently, way less than that. Popped buttons, busted zippers, loose seams, and tears are all very common with H&M clothing.

Luke Gibson Provo, UT

H&M is a great place to get fashionable clothing at pretty fantastic prices. One great thing about them is that their locations are often found outside major cities, making it easy to find good clothes if you live in such a place. It needs to be said though that some of their clothes are not great quality and that this doesn't always correspond with price: many of the men's cotton button-up shirts seem to disintegrate within just a few washes. However, if you are discerning, you can get a lot of fantastic long-lasting clothes for a great price (several jackets, shirts, and pants I have from there I still wear going on 7 years now. DON'T buy their shoes.

Anoushka Ahuja Orlando, FL

I bought a dress on clearance and I have received so many compliments on it and all I spent was 10$ you can really get great deals at H&M

Chad Edgar Wentzville, MO

I like to close the have it's good fashion lots of wonderful looking pants hoodie sweatshirt shoes even accessories love this place

Yael Lynchburg, VA

Great customer service! Experience was on point! Great selection of trend! Never disappoints! Love I can shop by product or buying suggestions according to model.

Rafet Afnan Mymensingh, 34

Using H&M products for over two years and have never felt disappointed with their quality. Lastly bought a Hoodie for my Gf and she was over joyous with that outfit, it was perfectly matched her figure and was pretty comfortable, no rashes appear after rough use.

Kamrul Kibria

Few days ago, i bought a t-shirt from H&M on online. It’s really a great experience with them because of their product quality, cusromer service and delivery time. I highly recommended H&M to anyone for better service.

Elisabeth Kinghorn Bangkok, 10

H&M is one of my go-to stores for clothes! They have a lot of cute and professional clothing options as well as casual ones too. All of the clothes I have ever bought there have lasted and still look great

Makayla Holland Gaithersburg, MD

My experience with H&M was very well. The quality of there clothing is amazing, there costumer service is well. But some of there clothing prices are a little high for me but i love buy from them. I believe me spending my money there is worth it.

Caloway Salt Lake City, UT

H&M has really good clothes at very good prices. I do not dry my clothes in a dryer which helps the clothes I buy from H&M last longer. The shirts are the clothes that will wear out the fastest if not taken care of. The sweaters are really nice and they have really nice dress pants. The jeans run small and I normally don't buy them. The shoes will wear out fast as well. If you're looking for an economical way to look good, H&M is the place to go.

Mason Allen Pleasant Grove, UT

Great customer service especially with them finally changing the return policy to be able to get refunds instead of store credit. They have great quality merchandise and have sales a lot which makes it one of my top stores to shop.

Pekeiydra Williams Tallahassee, FL

H&M is always clean and organize which I can appreciate because when I go shopping I hate having to dig through clothes. So having the store neat makes shopping so much faster and smoother. The employees are always on the floor ready to assist when needed.

Emily Crawfordville, FL

I always find amazing clothing deals on their online website, it's easy to navigate the site and has helpful filters to find just what you need. The quality of the clothes is very good, and I enjoy that they are doing clothing recycling now to help save the environment.

Kaysha Love Las Vegas, NV

I love H&M, this company is always up to date on the most fashionable clothes on the market. They also have a huge variety of different types of clothing from business professional to casual. I also love how many locations H&M has.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

H&M simply has the best trends on clothing online. They have figured out how to stay current. For my money, their online website is intuitive, giving a great sense of personal style. Helping you stay young and fresh with the best brands!

Stephanie Byrd Tallahassee, FL

H&M is the perfect spot for an occasional or even last minute outfit. This is one clothing store that has high end products without the high end price. The quality of their fabrics are unmatched and long lasting. I highly recommend for others to shop there regularly.

Lucia Demarco Wilmington, DE

I ordered from them , reluctantly as I read many very bad reviews. I tried anyway, and I was VERY pleasantly surprised. The quality of the clothing is great , I got exactly what I ordered each time , in a timely fashion.The only thing I can say my last order went to the wrong address, that was usps fault though.

Natasha Klimovych Rathdrum, ID

I love h&m , love the clothes and how you cam get a good deal. But i absolutely hate when ordering online and your items have arrived but they tend to always not send 1-3 items. Like there out of stock when in fact there not and i have to reorder those items. It pisses me off so bad and im waisting my time and money!!! I would give a 2 star but because the clothes are great and so are the prices its a 4.

Hannah Pleasant Grove, UT

I love H&M. Their prices are affordable, and their styles are so cute (and sometimes a little weird, but it's fine). Some of my favorite tops are from H&M! The only con I've found is that their clothes usually fit a little tall & skinny.

Nichole Davidson Sandy, UT

Fun atmosphere with great prices. Comparable to Old Navy in price level but better executed and more trends and options. Easy to find whatever it is you want or have an idea of - their selection is wide and you always walk out happy. Quality isn't great, but I'd rather spend little money on trendy clothing/accessories that aren't going to stay in style.

Ericka

Steve & Skylar at the Carolina Place Mall H&M. Show me exemplary customer service today Steven went above and beyond to help me with a purchase and I am very grateful. sincerely Erica C Thanks for a wonderful shopping experience.

Brianne sisca

Took almost 3 weeks for a delivery!!! That has never happened at any other site I ordered from. I called and got some $ off of price, but that didn't not make up for not having gift on time for job X-mas party. I shop online for 98% of gifts. Glad they tried to make it right and I know S--- happens. BTW, I was on hold nearly 60 minutes to remedy the issue! That was also a first they need to address.

R Jones Gilbert, AZ

While I love the style and selection at this store, not to mention price, I am thoroughly disappointed that H&M does not offer product reviews on their website. I do not have an H&M in my city, so online is the only way I have access to that store. Reviews help me figure out if an item is worth buying. I don't like taking blind risks with my money. Anyone who has ever bought a dress online, only to find the stitching is off or the color does not match the picture online knows the struggle. Sure, I could send it back. But I shouldn't have to. Please H&M, add product reviews to your website. It would benefit you and your customers.

Vampire

We want you to know that we are very pleased with the quality of service your company provides. We sincerely appreciate your polite and the efficient way your employee conduct the service. We have recommended your company to others because of our satisfaction with your service and your product. We look forward to buy your product again.

Jane Cathrine Tablizo East Orange, NJ

I Always buy clothes for my family at h&m, especially for my 4yr old daughter. I love h&M but I hope that cashiers will do their job a little faster coz they're really slow and a lot of customers are like having a bad day bcoz of it. I actually went to h&M at 59 columbus, told the lady cashier nicely "I'm sorry I'm kinda late alrdy", coz she was just so slow and talking with the other cashier and there's a long line. Then she told me that that's the fastest she can do (but she was really slow), then she was not being nice and arguing with me. Just really ruined my day

anupam sumessur Lorton, VA

Fashionble clothes at decent prices. My goto place every weekend.

Jacks Friend Riverton, UT

Great deals at H&M. I love their little kids clothes, especially when I get them on clearance!

Tami Allen Gilbert, AZ

I love shopping at H&M because there is truly something for everyone, no matter your age. They have a wide selection of products for different types of men and women, and their wide range of sizes reflect that everyone is different. I love that I can go there with my teenage girls and find just as much to buy as they do. I also love the fact that they keep prices low, even though their clothes are a little bit higher end. My clothes I've bought there have been high quality, and have stood up to numerous washings.

Grace Citrus Heights, CA

What I like most about H&M is I can find casual or professional attire at a great price, and the clothes will be stylist and put together well.

Ashley Nicole Jacksonville, FL

This store has really unique items and there is a section for everyone. The sale section is broken into smaller sections to allow for options. I really enjoy shopping here.

Julianne Geddes Palo Alto, CA

Terrible experience with their online shipping. Ordered a flannel and hoodie for my son's birthday, only to have both be shipped to a warehouse and sit there for weeks. I called H & M to ask why it was taking so long. They said to be patient, that they'd get to me even though my son's birthday was long gone by now. THEN, a week later I get an email telling me the order was returned!!!! Without my knowledge. Completely insane. I called today to complain, and they told me I'd have to reorder the items. SO RIDICULOUS.

Nyla C. Edison, NJ

H&M has had discriminatory ads back in the day that really hurt its chances for potential customers. Another issue I have with H&M is that though they offer decent clothes, the prices can be a little intimidating. I also noticed that their sizes tend to be off as well.

Mary Hardy Charlotte, NC

Super cute trendy clothes for an awesome price! Wish they had 1 more size up... Most items only upto a Large! Basics for $10 a piece!! Got a cute jersey knit dress for $10...Gonna have it monogrammed!

Brooklyn Bishop Los Angeles, CA

H&M is such a good clothing store. All their clothing is fashionable and in style. The pricing and quality is amazing, and there are sizes for everyone. I would totally recommend!

Ben Denver Buffalo, NY

Cool shop. Large assortment of goods. Low price for quality clothing. The assortment of the store is quickly updated, there are many great discounts. Fast and pleasant service.

Ioana Asiata Herriman, UT

H&M has the cutest selection of clothes. From women to children styles they're all affordable and in style. Their shoe selection isn't very large but always has some cute stuff! The stores are usually packed with very little cashiers so lines are usually long.