Gilt Logo

LAST UPDATED: January 29th, 2021
Gilt is an online company that started offering women's clothing in 2007 and men's clothing in 2008. Their website is aimed at providing customers access to new products that are on sale for a fixed period of time, usually a few days, before new items are introduced. Another aspect of Gilt is social media and mobile phone shopping. Their Facebook page let's customers shop for items, as do their apps for Android and iPhone. Another unique feature is their "by-invitation only" feature. One needs to sign up to be able to purchase from Gilt's website. The Gilt Founders, in 2007, saw the promise for the idea of online "flash" sales, where new items are introduced at an affordable price, allowing customers to keep up current trends and styles.

Nike Logo
#2 Nike chevron_right
Target Logo
#3 Target chevron_right

The Good

• Great sales and deals
  • Region selector
  • Competitive prices
Overall, it is easy to like the equal emphasis on both men and women's clothing. There are a lot of items equally spread between the two categories. Their sales are typically overlapping, giving its shoppers consistent access to great deals. Some items had just gone on sale while others had been on sale for a few days. This makes items affordable and easy to get for customers. Gilt also has a region selector. Even though there is not a storefront presence, there are different locations available in the United States based upon your city. With the location tool, it is possible to find style trends and designers based upon your locale. Once again, this is a specialized area of the site that ranks products by your locale and is not a separate store website. The price ranges available through Gilt are competitive to low. For example, you may find Steinhausen watches on sale for $45 and $65, marked down considerably from hundred-dollar price ranges. You may also see suits, shirts, coats, and other items for men, as well as sale items for women's clothing. The idea of "flash sales" provides a ton of value for shoppers. When Gilt sells out of a particular item, they get new merchandise, often a different product or a different line of clothing. This keeps the products on the website trendy, fashionable, and affordable while guaranteeing "hot items" in an auction-like kind of setting for customers. The issues that arose ranged between problems with product/service, guarantee/warranty issues, delivery issues, billing/collection issues, and advertising/sales issues. While most online clothing stores will have similar issues, the bottom line is these customer issues were responded to in a timely manner. This should give extra confidence to shoppers considering using them as their clothing retailer.

The Bad

• Return policy varies by situation
  • No free shipping policy
It can be difficult determining what a "final sale" item is. When one shops online through their site, most items are on sale at a discounted price from a retailer. Therefore, this means it is going to be hard for them to accept returns on some merchandise. They often give online gift credit if a client has to return something. We had mixed feelings on the items that were available from Gilt. Overall, the idea of getting expensive merchandise at sale items is desirable, however, we didn't like the sense that it was difficult to return it and get a refund. It can be fairly difficult to find FAQs and detailed answers on the Gilt website. When scrolling down the screen, more sale items typically load. Although this is a benefit as you search for more deals, it can be frustrating when trying to get questions answered. You are able to get to the customer support option at the bottom of the screen by using the "find" feature of the Internet browser. There is currently no free shipping option available at this time. They do offer four domestic shipping options. These include 30 Day Gilt Unlimited,  Standard, Expedited (2-Day), and Overnight. The 30 Day Gilt Unlimited costs $9.95, the Standard costs $7.95, the Expedited costs $15.95, and overnight costs $24.95. Most orders will ship via USPS. There are situations where, because of the weight of the order, there may be surcharges added in addition to the costs already mentioned. Gilt does offer an international option. They charge $9.95 flat-rate shipping to a large number of countries around the world.

The Bottom Line

We recommend Gilt for the savvy, thrifty fashion shopper. We found that although we don't favor "members only" shopping sites, Guilt's membership option has some great features for customers. We felt like customers were truly given the best deals in the industry. While Gilt doesn't carry the number of items as Nordstrom's or JC Penny's, we felt like they had some of the best prices for high-quality items. Another thing that we liked about Gilt was the selection of items for babies and around the home. There are furniture items, bedding, bath, fragrances, and children's items that are available for a very reasonable price for customers. Overall, Gilt is a good online clothing - just not the best. Their high quality items are priced well, but only if you are a member. They are also missing a few important features like free shipping and individual item reviews. Their selection size is very small, but the pricing may make it worth it in the end.

1.5

Lisa Li St. Catharines, ON

cheating. the 24k gold mask is gold looking from the package , and clear gel with some yellow sparkle dots in it. used it as instruction, after 20 minutes , my face feels dry nut smooth, what do I expected? something wrong from opening the mask, irritating fragrance and watery or nothing on the gelly mask, it did not become thinner as it descript. I have to say I waited my money .

Aryan & Alisha Irving, TX

Before you shop at Gilt, there are few things you must know. Shipping is not free, and neither are returns. There is a $ 30 fee if you want unlimited free shipping for the whole year but then again if you return you will have to pay $ 9 per return. If you are multiple items and if its being shipped by multiple suppliers, then it will be shipped separately and returned separately as well, and each return will cost you 9 bucks. So, when they say this item is returnable don’t get fooled, U will be paying for the return. Above all they make it very hard on their website to return any items, U will experience multiple times there will be error either with the website or time out.

Fiona Wang Jersey City, NJ

I wish I could give it ZERO star! I have purchased a voucher on May and didn't use it until the end of July. (The voucher expired on August 3rd.) When I logged in to my account the website showed no results for any order placed before July. Then I called customer service they gave me a voucher number. It turned out INVALID! I called again they promised me to send me another one and they didn't. After several calls they FINALLY agreed to refund me. It has been a month now I still haven't got my money back! I will never use Gilt and Gilt City again! They just get your money and don't care about the customers at all! Very bad experience!

Ryan

I have worked in the retail sector for the past 15 years and for many years studied/worked in the legal industry in Australia (including consumer law). In all my years I have never seem such deception of consumers trust as I have experienced with Gilt. With the background I have I can surely appreciate the notion of mark-ups and retailers having this as their source of gross profit; however, to have such blatant and misleading practises on this point is outside the scope of what is reasonable and fair. The consumer should be able to trust that the retailer is giving them fair value for a product and not out to rip them off I purchased a 'Kate Spade' Branded brangle for USD $89 marked down from USD $168 on the Gilt site, only to find inside the package a hangtag with a suggested retail from the original designer was USD $58. I sent a complaint and Gilt stated they only price match with ourselves and not competitors. This provides absolutely no accountability especially on a product that they are on-selling as a middleman. They marketed it as a Kate Spade product (which it is as the hangtag in my package shows) and as such should be held accountable to the suggested retail pricing as that is FAIR VALUE of the product they are selling Further and even more concerning they should definitely not inflate the suggested retail price to over 280% (their suggested retail of USD $168) while marketing themselves as a designer discounted company. The company then tried to palm of the blame as a mistaken tag in the package and the product being something differnt yet provided no evidence that it was besides their word. Clear skirting of responsibility. This is completely disgusting behaviour from a retailer and I hope the appropriate ombusman in whatever country Gilt is registered shuts them down!

Gio Campora Los Angeles, CA

Gilt Where do I start! This website is a total scam. They took one picture of the watch and said that it was a man's watch. The picture wasn't even taken from their website they probably got it off of Google images. I finally received the watch that by the way,  took FOREVER! And noticed that the band was defective. I tried it on anyway and it didn't fit my wrist! When I called to complain they said "well, it's a unisex watch, it's for men and women". The customer service was terrible. I was treated very disrespectfully. I wanted to return the watch and they wouldn't take it back. I even had to go as far as to complain with the BBB (better business bureau). So now I'm stuck with a $3,200.00 watch that has a broken wrist band and doesn't even fit me!!

H Moore Lehi, UT

I love the selection of Gilt because you have the variety of a department store and can shop for your whole family. I always check out their warehouse deals section first, and can find some great deals.

smbddy Edmonton, AB

I really don't know how this online shop is still survives... I order an item from their online shop, not checking their review. Lesson learnt... after 16hrs I got an email saying that my order is cancelled.... called customer service to find out the reason, I was told the price has changed and they gave me option of paying more or cancel.

Catherine Gomez Phoenix, AZ

Spoke to Customer Service Representative and Supervisor. About to place a Tom Ford belt. The app is charging a sales tax - which is incorrect as Minnesota don’t charge sales tax on this belt. They keep on insisting that this should be taxed. Even the revenue.state.mn.us says so of the tax exemption. When I placed orders from Neiman, Saks, Nike, Nordstrom they all honor that. I hope that their business is doing well as they lose a loyal customer from me. 30 mins time wasted.

geevee Walnut Creek, CA

Things changed and I will not be shopping with Gilt anymore, wrong cheaper item sent, no accountability, unable to send correct item to fix things. Further insult - processing a regular return, which will take a while, no quick refund (I'm out of 1K for 2 weeks already, now 2 more at least?!!) or an apology for not fulfilling the order. There are better vendors out there, Gilt's discounted and very questionable authenticity products are not worth your money, time and trouble. Never again, Gilt - shame on you

Ginny L San Ramon, CA

I bought a men's Versace scarf from Gilt.com a couple of years ago and recently discovered it is a knockoff, after attempting to resell it on a consignment website. I contacted Gilt and they will not take it back or give me a refund even though their website states, "Gilt stands by the authenticity of every product sold on our site!" Please share so that others are not scammed like I was! Very disappointed!

Stefani glaser

I ordered a gorgeous gold velvet designer sofa from Gilt. Not only did they lose it and I was shuffled around for weeks, it was finally delivered at 10 PM one weeknight. It was NOT gold but rather Taupe. Cheapest piece of furniture I ever purchased. Gilt gave me 10% refund for my inconvenience. Disgusting and I would NEVER recommend this site for furniture.

Jen Baltimore, MD

They take your money and then cancel the order saying it was out of stock. I have one order only get cancelled after a month of it going missing and me reaching out to them to find out what was going on. Very unreliable and unprofessional company

Tass

henever… When big items are purchased whenever they offer free international delivery they cancel the order after you follow them up asking a month later why it has not been delivered. Them they say it wasn't available for international delivery. What is obvious is that they don't want to wear the delivery cost when they agreed to cover it

Amanda Warrendale, PA

Gilt will have some pretty good sales, but the prices a bit higher than I like to spend. I like that they sell for women + men though!

Irina Velichko New York, NY

Gilt can't sell such stuff!!!!!!!!!! They sell horrible product with no option to return! Stay away!