Banana Republic Logo

Banana Republic

7.4

Banana Republic is part of the GAP family of brands, including Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic, Athleta, and Hill City. All five brands share an online checkout, although they very much operate independently with distinct brand experiences in their retail brick and mortar stores.

Founded in 1978, Banana Republic was bought five years later by GAP. In comparison to the other two mainstream clothing brands, Old Navy and GAP, Banana Republic is widely considered to be a higher price point and higher quality than big box chain stores like Target, and slightly lower price than J.Crew and higher fashion/couture lines like Gucci.

The Good

• Contemporary Look for Professionals
  • Ecommerce with GAP Family of Brands
  • Personal Styling, Clothing Rental, Gift Cards
  • Give Back Initiatives

Contemporary Look for Professionals

Banana Republic offers a contemporary look for modern, professional-minded women and men, has a wide retail reach in stores and shopping centers across the United States.

Ecommerce with GAP Family of Brands

In addition to retail shopping, Banana Republic has a seamless online platform for ecommerce, and partners with the GAP family of brands to be able to shop five stores in one; items from all stores may be purchased together without using separate checkout carts.

Personal Styling, Clothing Rental, Gift Cards

Banana Republic also offers personal styling in store, clothing rental through its Style Passport program, and gift cards.

Give Back Initiatives

Banana Republic has taken the initiative to participate in give back and charitable initiatives, such as clothing donations, cash donations, clothing recycling, and other measures.

The Bad

• Higher Price
  • No Children’s and Baby Clothing
  • Shipping Limitations

Higher Price

The price point for Banana Republic is higher than other comparable clothing lines: by comparison, Old Navy offers pants in the $20–$40 range, GAP in the $40–$80 range, and Banana Republic in the $80–$150 range. It could be argued for double the price, the quality of clothing may not be twice as good.

No Children’s and Baby Clothing

Banana Republic does not offer children’s and baby clothing lines, although some testing and initial development has begun in recent years — unlike Old Navy, Gap, Macy’s and J.C. Penney, which are known for family-friendly shopping. This puts Banana Republic at a major disadvantage for shoppers wanting to shop for or style the entire family utilizing one location or brand.

Shipping Limitations

Shipping is not available for international and non-continental U.S. states and territories. In addition, free shipping is only available after $50 or more in purchases.

The Bottom Line

If you fit into the target demographic — modern, professional, semi-affluent men and women — and have the available funds and inclination to invest in a higher-end wardrobe, Banana Republic is a reasonably priced and stylish venue, with supportive personal stylists in store to help.

The clothing is quality and if cared for, will provide a worthwhile investment. Compared to other lower-quality or lower-end fashion chains, you can’t beat the look, durability, and classic nature of Banana Republic’s women’s and men’s lines.

Elizabeth Klemm Tallahassee, FL

I buy a lot of my professional clothing at Banana Republic. As a kid I used to watch my mother buy clothing here and now as an adult I do the same. Our family loves and trusts the brand, they have great quality, stylish clothing.

take7 Sandy, UT

Classic clothing. I like to search their clothing for work clothing. They are basic but dressed up and comfortable. They are stylish and the price isn't bad when you can find sales and deals. It's one of those never go out of style clothing stores.

Shannon B Salt Lake City, UT

Banana Republic is a shopping staple for me! Their clothing is high quality, fits right, and I love how they have so many classy and unique pieces to choose from. If I ever have a special event or something I want to look and feel really great for, I shop at Banana Republic first.

Michelle W Coraopolis, PA

The website is bright and light. It makes it easy to shop for clothes being user friendly as well as atheistically pleasing. Banana has such amazing quality for clothes, while a bit on the pricey side, you can always find a coupon to help with that! Totally worth it.

I wish I had a local store, but the online store does carry all there styles in all there sizes, while it may take more then one order to get the right size in different outfits for some reason the ladies clothing numbers and cuts are not always the same. Though I do live the summer 👗

Anne Sainsbury Payson, UT

I browse Banana Republic on a regular basis. The only reason I haven't bought from them yet is because they are pricy, but as far as the website organization goes it is great! I've always been able to make my way around the website in an easy and organized fashion and find exactly what I'm looking for!

Chase H Provo, UT

I am obsessed with Banana Republic... mostly the factory store with the crazy low prices. I have gotten extremely nice dress clothes from B.R. for ridiculously cheap prices. Highly recommend. Also, you CAN stack discounts. Search hard for promo codes!

Annie Chow Tallahassee, FL

Their website is well organized and easy to maneuver so I'd highly recommend it to anybody who fancies their clothing. Their style wasn't something I had in mind when I initially visited their website though so I didn't buy anything.

Mandi Smith American Fork, UT

Banana Republic has great quality but I think that it is just a little bit pricey. The clothing there fits every body type so well! I 100% recommend them.

Hayley Lambdin Orem, UT

Banana Republic has very nice clothing and a great fragrance collection. However, I get frustrated with their prices sometimes and the customer service. Some of their merchandise is waaaaay over priced.

Valentino Chanel South Jordan, UT

I’ve been a regular customer at br and they’ve never disappointed. It seems like they’re a good transitioning store (from early 20’s to older ages). I still have some shoes tops and dresses ive purchased over the years. Good quality

mccandless24 Kaysville, UT

I love the quality of clothing you can get here but it does come at a price. I also would only request that they do more for Mens Tall sizes. I have only been able to find options online and wish I could find them in the store near where we live.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Banana Republic is a hip clothing store and its access online is superb. I love the popular brands and modern styling of their clothes online. Plenty of variety and selection. I love their classic styling and fun leisure clothing too. Their website is just impressive!

Michelle Schow Saratoga Springs, UT

Banana Republic has options for business wear that are also in style and fashionable. The price point tends to be higher than other online stores, but the quality is also higher.

Cooper Thompson Pleasant Grove, UT

Super classy, well made clothing. Everything they sell is on trend but sophisticated. Banana Republic has lots to offer in store as well as online and customer service is always the best!

Desi Pleasant Grove, UT

Banana Republic has really good style. The clothes make you feel confident and a bit powerful. Lot of the clothes are professionally casual and they're really cute to wear anywhere you go.

Ellen Morris Potomac, MD

Banana Republic is reliable and I can always count on BR to have timeless business professional clothing. They also have great simple pieces and this is what I wear most often.

Terra Stanko Hyrum, UT

Just like sister store Old Navy, but more expensive. The customer service is a little better then Old Navy. But the clothing is a good quality, just more expensive. Online is easy to navigate and check out is super fast and simple.

Joanna Hester Gilbert, AZ

My son only wears basketball shorts and t-shirts. For his last year in high school, I ordered lots of clothes from Banana Republic in an attempt to update his wardrobe. Amazingly, he liked the clothes and is periodically wearing them instead of his usual attire. Total win in my book!

H Moore Lehi, UT

Banana Republic has great quality clothing, and I still have a jacket I bought there about ten years ago. We go to their sales at the outlets by our home. The store is clean, and they always have new product.

Audrey Mitchell Managua, MN

If you are looking for business clothing for good prices, then Banana Republic is the place to go. The locations are clean and have great selections for men and women.

Suzanna Wootton Springville, UT

I think clothes from banana republic are adorable. The only reason I don't shop here is because of the price and I feel like the clothes are too fancy for what I need.

William South Jordan, UT

I think this store is over priced, and poor quality. I used to like this store, but the last several years they have gone down hill. I don't like the ways the employees treat the customer either.

Lindsey Newman American Fork, UT

I love shopping at banana republic for my husband because he is very long torso'd and they offer talls in the mens shirts. They are also so classy looking and stay nice after washing when you lay them flat to dry

Erika Shumway Managua, MN

Banana Republic is very expensive and not worth my money. Their clothes are simple and not worth the extra price. One good thing is that their clothes are very good quality and last a long time. It’s good for business clothes, but that’s about it.

Cam McClellan Draper, UT

I don't love clothes from Banana Republic. I feel like the dress level is the same as Gap, but their prices are substantially higher. It doesn't make sense to pay more for the same quality pant.

Nathan D. Warrendale, PA

Banana Republic is like the older brother of Old Navy and The Gap - you can find a great selection of dressier clothing options such as button-downs for men, dress slacks and ties.

Kathryn Robinson Riverton, UT

Banana Republic has a lot of nice, business casual clothing options for men and women. I like the look, style and quality of their clothing. Their prices are on the higher end, so I usually shop the sales rack.

Tony Riverton, UT

Banana Republic is one of my favorite stores to visit...fantastic staff, easing browsing and the clothing is high quality. Pricing is the only downside, as it's rare to find a bargain.

Jaime American Fork, UT

I love the quality of Banana Republic clothes. They have great styles, and they last. My teenagers really like their graph t-shirts, and I love their jewelry!

Haley Baldwin

I’ve shopped here a few times but their product selection is definitely aimed at older women. They have high prices but good quality products. I’m sure I’ll shop more here as I get older!

Nicole LeBaron Provo, UT

Banana Republic is great! I really like their formal casual wear like their dresses and skirts. They last a long time and are great for multiple occasions.

Brette Draper, UT

This company has always stayed classy through all style changes, you can never go wrong with Banana Republic. Their clothes last forever and the styles always stay relevant

Natalia Correa MDTribe Tallahassee, FL

Banana Republic has amazing professional clothing. It can be a little more expensive but the quality is great!

Roshandra Jones Tallahassee, FL

Excellent. They offer a size many companies don't. The quality is great and the selection is great as well.

Rocio Diaz Tallahassee, FL

The quality is splendid and the prices are amazing. I buy most of my business attire from here. Very classy and worth every penny.

cb Thibodaux, LA

good quality to their clothing but not very comfortable in my opinion. Prices are very friendly to consumers tho. Banana Republic always has friendly staff and they are very helpful!

Adria Riverton, UT

Very stylish. Love getting my husband nice s from here. Got a super nice shirt and nice trendy pants. Kinda classy looking. Love it

Erin Farnsworth Pleasant Grove, UT

Clothes can be pricey. But almost every article of clothing I have purchased, has lasted me forever. I have owned some things for almost ten years now and still wear them!

Asia Bui Gulfport, MS

For christmas I got a bunch of cute and comfortable clothes from Banana Republic because they were on sale. They are very nice and I wear them a lot

Jami Howell Farmington, UT

quality is better than gap and old navy but its basically a more expensive old navy. I've liked everything I've bought, washes up nice and keeps its vibrance

Amy Boren American Fork, UT

Their quality of clothes are great and so easy to find what you are looking for on their web site. They also offer great sales so what could be better!

Madison Scott Pleasant Grove, UT

I love Banana Republic! However, my eyes always go to the sale items because I can't afford much else! But every purchase I have made at this store as never been regretted.

Breanne Stanko Logan, UT

Top store of the 2 other sister chains, Gap and Old Navy. Similar clothing to both of them just more expensive. The customer service is a lot better and nicer. Good quality.

Paige Baldwin Wellsville, UT

Banana Republic is a good company. You can usually find what you’re looking for, however sometimes the products seem a little out of style. It can also be pricey

Rachel Ellsworth Gilbert, AZ

Banana Republic has a lot of cute clothes, but sometimes they can be a bit overpriced. If I had all the money in the world then I would definitely shop here more often!

Kaitlin Ashcroft Mesa, AZ

At banana republic I feel like you don’t lose quality or style for a good price. They have a great mix of casual clothing and professional clothing that has lasted me months.

Marissa Redwood Falls, MN

Really nice clothing, but I'm not willing to pay what they are asking. I've never bought something directly from the store, but I've found some of their clothing at thrift stores and love them!

Beth Farmer Pleasant Grove, UT

I love finding quality clothes when Banana Republic has sales! Beautiful clothes and when they mark down you can really find some steals!

Sadie Scoville Pleasant Grove, UT

I really like the swimming suits at banana republic. I like that they are great quality and they always have a great variety of swimming suits.