ASOS is a UK company that sells clothing online. They have customers throughout the world but have large followings primarily in the US, UK, Russia, and many other European countries.

Rank Chart
ASOS Logo
Average
28 days
7.1

Their website has 21.3 million customers per month, as well as 7.1 million customers from over 160 countries. We also found that in addition to the 850 brands that they carry online, they have carried around 50,000 branded and ASOS.com branded products.

ASOS used to have a feature on their Facebook page that let customers order without having to leave the Facebook site. However, that feature of the Facebook page now leads directly to the ASOS landing page.

Recently, ASOS has been a sponsor of a Formula One racing team, the McLaren Formula One team. Even though this was supposed to be a short-term partnership, the ASOS logo has been seen on the McLaren Formula One car throughout the 2014 season.

The Good

• Multiple promotions on site
  • Cost-effective shipping policies

ASOS provides their regular, loyal customers with a number of great benefits including:

Multiple Promotions on Site

If you are looking to save money on sticker price clothing items, the ASOS website provides a welcoming and money-saving shopping experience for you. Not only are there promotions run throughout the site, there are also membership opportunities to provide you with even more value. The ASOS Premier membership costs $29 for a three-month membership. This lets users get free standard UPS shipping, pre-sales notices, as well as their catalog, of which ten copies are issued per year. A helpful feature they include on their site to all customers is their Fashion Finder, which tracks clothing industry trends for you. This allows its customer base to stay on top of trends throughout the world as well as keeping them apprised of new releases. It is a simple and easy way for customers to go online and ultimately design their own outfit. With tons of fashionable products to choose from, it is a huge benefit for shoppers to have access to these discounts and promotions while maintaining products of high value.

Cost-effective Shipping Policies

Being an international clothing retailer, ASOS uses a large network of shipping couriers to deliver orders as quickly and cost effectively as possible. If you choose US Standard Shipping, it is free of charge to you as the buyer if the total costs are over $40. Otherwise, shipping costs $4. Items will be delivered typically within 6 business days if you are located inside the continental United States. There is a small caveat to this policy if your order is over $200, where a small customs clearance charge may apply. If you are need of your order faster, you can choose another option for an extra cost. Even these costs for a faster delivery are competitive with other retailers in the industry. The Help Center is also great, as well as their return policy. Customers outside of the United States, while not being able to exchange an item, can get a refund on a product if they return it in its original condition. Also, we found that the ASOS help center was a great resource for customers who were using the website for the first time.

The Bad

• Billing and collection issues
  • Delivery issues

ASOS needs improvement in one particular area:
These problems had a wide range of type including advertising/sales issues, billing/collection issues, delivery issues, and problems with the product/service. Many customers have had problems with ASOS implementing their sound and desirable operations, primarily with their shipping, handling, and refund time frames. As these issues have occurred, it is fair to question their transparency with these and other policies listed online when shopping for clothes on their site. As has already been discussed, ASOS has a large international presence and a customer base that truly reaches around the world. These types of issues would be expected to a certain extent with a company who uses so many different shipping couriers in an attempt to save its customers as much as they can on time and money.

The Bottom Line

There are many pros and cons to a shopping experience with ASOS. Their policies are extremely competitive with other top clothing stores, however, their customer service effectiveness seems to be in question. There are potential reasons for this poor rating and implementation of their policies especially for customers in the United States, such as them being largely based in the UK. They do have a lot of great brands and products available to customers, however, if you don’t like your product it is possible you are going to have a hard time returning it and getting your refund in a timely manner. Most customer complaints mention the slow turnaround time. This should be taken into account since some of these items are being shipped from overseas.

Overall, ASOS has an extremely large selection of quality clothing that is very well-priced due to in large part to helpful promotions. By and large, clients really like the fashionable products they have purchased. If you are purchasing your items from ASOS, you should make sure that the product is a fashion that you know you will like and are not planning on returning. Due to the many promotions, great shipping policy, and fashionable clothing options, we ultimately recommend them as an online clothing store.

Clothing Price and Quality

ASOS offers high-end clothing, which is on the expensive side. The value of the clothing is quite high, with many European designs. There are over 850 brand-name products, for both men and women. They carry brand name clothing, as well as exclusive ASOS “brand” line of clothes. However, they run a number of promotions consistently to make their clothing items more competitively priced.

Membership

ASOS is open to anyone. However, there is a membership option available in the form of ASOS Premier. For a $29 3-month membership, a member gets access to many features, including free standard UPS shipping.

Reviews

ASOS does not have the option of leaving product reviews.

Shipping

If you are an ASOS Premier member, you get free shipping. If you spend more than $40, you get free ground shipping. Mid-tier and Express deliveries are $6 and $12 with some variation.

Selection Size

ASOS has a large and diverse selection size. For women’s shirts, there are over 332 styles.

Sales

ASOS always has brands on sale. It is not uncommon to see tops, accessories and jewelries available for sale at 70% off.

There have been a number of complaints raised against them over the years. There is no chat box, but there is a help email form and a pretty good online FAQ that will help customers place rentals. Trust Pilot only gave ASOS 3 stars (out of 5), commenting on the poor return experience and customer service that customers encountered.

Retail Storefront

ASOS is only an online service in the United States.

Time in Business

According to their website, they have been in business since at least 2000.

Company Contact Information

London UK
NW1 7FB

Fax+44(0)20 7756 1001

Return Policy

Items must be returned in the condition that they were received. Items ordered outside of the UK cannot be exchanged, but customers can get a full refund. There is also free shipping on customer returns.

X close
X close

109 ASOS Reviews

1. Select Your Rating:

0=WORST 10=BEST

2. Subject For This Review*(Select all that apply)

0 characters

3. Review Validation*

or

1. User Score

March 27th, 2017

Frustrated having watched my wife navigate what has turned into a reficulous ordeal.

Owning a business where customer service counts, and after now reading COUNTLESS reviews stating similar frustrated customer experiences, I don’t understand how they are still in business.

Hopefully these reviews catch your eye before spending your money with ASOS. Word to the wise, DON’T!!!

They are BRUTAL!

2. User Score

March 24th, 2017

Today i found asos And was interested in trying the webshop because of a 20% shopping spree. After spending over an hour creating my wishlist i checken out At 11:45. I entered the code And it worked. But i forgot something So i went back Added it and tried again. At this time THE code stoped working. It was about 11:50. So i contacted customer support. After a 45 min chat they told me there is nothing that they could do because THE discount ended At 12:00. I told them i was checking out before that And also that At 00:18 they were still advertising with the messages. But still no service what So ever. I was willing To buy 8 products. But i left THE shop with nothing And over 2 Hours of my time wasted. I have screenshots of THE times advertised. Horrible service

3. User Score

March 19th, 2017 Edited

I placed on order with this company on 3/2/17. At the time the had a discount with unidays offering 20% off instead of the usual 10%. I place my order and the discount somehow did not calculate properly so I contact their customer service immediately through chat. I was told it wasn’t a problem and I would be refunded 16.90. I was fine with that. About an hour goes by I get an email stating the refund was processed and I would see it in 5-10 days. Time goes by about a week I contact customer service again stating I have yet to receive the refund I am then told oh we don’t offer refunds you received the correct discount. I then showed proof of the original conversation and the email stating I was entitled to 16.90. And this was done after dealing with several reps because every time I would respond a different rep seemed to get my emails that alone made me angry. So one of the reps tells me my refund was sent to my credit card manually. So a red flag goes up I paid with PayPal how can you bypass PayPal and refund it to my card I did not have one on file with them! I asked the rep that very question and was told it can be done and to wait the full 10 days. So on 3/15/17 I contacted customer service again because I still have no refund and once again I have to deal with several reps before getting a concrete answer. I am then told by one of the rudest reps there it hasn’t been 10 days only 9. Now I know I can count and I insist it has been sinnce this started in 3/1. He in turn says they are counting from 3/2 and the 10th day is 3/16. He also requested I send my bank statement me for that time period to show I did not get the refund which I thought was odd but I complied. Once I sent proof I was then emailed again oh you have to wait til after 3/16 and if it still isn’t there to contact them again. At this point I’m pissed all this over 16.90 but I was determined to follow this through it has now become about the principle. I then open a transaction error cause with PayPal explaining what’s going on just seeking further assistance in this matter. So I go ahead and wait til 3/17/17 and contact asos customer service again. Before doing so I attempted to log into my account and I get an error message you account has been blocked of course I am now confused. Why would I account be blocked??? I contact customer service through chat and the rep tells me I see it’s blocked but I have to have another rep contact you. I asked well can you at least tell my why the account it blocked? The rep says no. I then contact customer service through email on the same email thread I had been using asking about the refund and the account block. I get and email back stating they are looking into it and that I dont need to send anymore emails. So fast forward to today 3/19/17. I get an email saying the account was closed because I opened the case with PayPal stating fraud and PayPal determined it was fraud and the company took a financial loss because of this. Any orders I place in the future will automatically be canceled with no notice, WTF??? Now I’m livid I check PayPal and the have not determined fraud and have not made a final decision. I was not given a refund for the 16.90 and instead of asos figuring out what was going on they just decided to block me from future purchase. I have never been so disgusted with a company in my life. All this over 16.90. So recap I still don’t have the refund, my asos account is blocked and I am no long allowed to make purchases. Horrific, terrible and most unprofessional company every I would recommend no one ever shop with them again if they can be this petty over 16.90 imagine what they would do over a higher dollar amount.

3/21/17 Update. So my refund saga continues since my last post I was contacted and told they would do an investigation. That was 3/17/17. So today I finally get another email saying they sent a refund to a card that is not active anymore I don’t even know what card it is. The problem here is I paid through PayPal with an active card. So they decided to not use the original payment method and just choose a card they saw on my account. No one contacted me to verify this was ok or which card to use. This right here just shows how terrible their customer service is. And then on top of that told me my account will not be reopened until I close the case with PayPal. Are they serious???? So to sum up I still don’t have the refund, I don’t know what card they sent it to and my account is still not opened. I warn everyone beware of shopping with this company!

4. User Score

March 5th, 2017 Plainfield, VT

I spent two days trying to order a dress for an event. The website would not accept my landline or cell # and would not allow me to bypass it. Thus not allowing me to place my order. The dress was sold out on anthropologie and the only other vendor was asos, otherwise, I would not have wasted the time that I did. ‘Chatted’ with a customer service agent for almost an hour then their website crashed and he asked me to call back in 1 hour. ‘Chatted’ the next day with another agent who, after 45 minutes said she had to send it to IT and they will contact me. Still no word..still no dress. I would agree that this company’s legitimacy is questionable.

5. User Score

February 8th, 2017 Tallahassee, FL

I ordered several (3) pairs of jeans that they advertised as in-stock on the website. They arrived much later than the email notification specified, and then when they did come, two were the wrong style, but correct brand, and the third was not even the right brand. I sent them back and was told that one of the 3 was actually not in stock, and they would send the correct style for the other two. They then sent the EXACT SAME incorrect jeans a second time. I’ve now alerted them to this fact, and it’s been more than two weeks and they still cannot even tell me if “the warehouse” has the correct jeans that they are still advertising as in stock (the ones that I’ve paid for). They will respond to online chat and Twitter DM’s, but everyone says the same thing: we’re waiting to hear back from the warehouse. No action, not helpful. There is zero excuse for a company this size having such poor inventory management and customer service. I will NEVER buy from them again.

6. User Score

February 7th, 2017

I will never order anything from ASOS again. They refused to refund my full amount until I threatened to take legal action.

7. User Score

January 27th, 2017

My first Asos shopping experience was a disaster. Parcel was lost by local courier company, after first delivery atempt. It has been a week now that I don’t get clear response neither from couriers, neither from Asos if and when I will be refunded. Very unprofesional and very poor choise of partners Asos! If I knew standart delivery means getting so much nerves, I would have paid those extra euros for secure delivery. Never more Asos!

8. User Score

January 17th, 2017 Tampa, FL

ASOS customer for past 5 years. They were good until recently, I guess they grew too big to care for customers anymore. My last two orders were lost in transit, I send multiple emails requesting replacement, to which the response was – “We investigate the accident” “please check if the address was correct” “We are sorry, we can’t replace the items” After two weeks of daily emails I just disputed the charges with my bank.

9. User Score

January 12th, 2017

A shockingly bad ASOS movie- Cue lost package, robotic, untrustworthy, strange service

Situation: Sitting in a hotel out of town when I see package has been delivered to my building and I signed for it. Arrive at home days later to see note saying package is in the bin outside of my building, but don’t find package.

Rising Action: Explain to Asos customer service that I was out of town, my signature was forged, neighbours didn’t sign for package, received DPD note saying that package was in the bin outside, and I could’t find the package. Asos customer service say they will thoroughly investigate in 48 hours. I patiently wait for someone to contact me asking for evidence that I was away, and my signature was forged by driver, and my package was left in a bin.

Climax: Asos get back to me about 2 weeks later saying that the drivers GPS shows that the package was delivered and I signed for it. Shocked and outraged, I explain that no one contacted me to ask for the hotel invoice or images of my actual signature that show that I was out of town and my signature was forged. Even stranger, why did the driver leave a note saying that my package was in the bin if I signed for it?

Falling action: Skynet takes over asos customer service, they disregard the actual evidence, and respond to all my questions by saying “We are unable to process this further, the investigation was thorough, the case is closed”

Catastrophe: DPD says asos is responsible and I should raise a claim with them. Bank says they can’t refund me because I paid by debit card. Asos “skynet” says their investigation was “thorough” and the case is closed. My bank account is a few hundred pounds lighter.

Conclusion: At asos, the customer comes last, skynet has taken over asos’s customer service, once a case is closed it has completely vanished from all existence, and Never shop with ASOS !!

P.S. Chat transcripts available.

10. User Score

January 7th, 2017

ASOS is great if everything is going ok. However, if something goes wrong then prepare to fall into a deep pit of the darkest despair. They can only be contacted by email, Facebook or live chat. The only people that can deal with complaints are the call handlers meaning that they just tell you what they can’t do, there’s no way of getting anything but the most basic problems resolved and worse of all, no one takes ownership of a query. I’ve spoken to countless people over several weeks, none of whom read the whole thread before responding and meaning that someone will ask a question, you reply instantly, then need to wait another 48hours (at least) for SOMEONE ELSE to pick it up and ask something totally unrelated as they have not bothered seeing what went before. Their Facebook page is full of people complaining as it’s the only way to get a response and it sounds like a lot of them have it a lot worse than me, but I can assure you it will be the last time I ever use the site.

11. User Score

January 2nd, 2017

I placed an order on 29/10/2016 for an item and selected next day delivery. The item was not delivered to my home, neither was it left with a neighbour or in a safe place. It was signed for by someone I do not know. I contacted asos immediately on 30/10/2016 and was told they would look into this with the courier. I have contacted asos multiple times since and receive the same generic email stating they are still chasing up things with the courier, even NINE WEEKS LATER.
    I was a loyal asos customer who would place orders at least fortnightly and have received appalling and disgraceful customer service. I informed them that I will now be seeking legal advice and received the same generic email, yet again.
    Do not order from this company, or you risk paying for an item you will never receive.

12. User Score

December 23rd, 2016

Not a US based company. TOTALLY MISLEADING. NO WAY TO CONTACT.
    DO NOT USE ASOS!! TELL EVERYONE YOU KNOW. HOPEFULLY TRUMP WILL PUT END TO THIS TYPE OF INTERNATIONAL TRADE SCAM>

1 3

13. User Score

December 23rd, 2016

They never come in contact with you after sending lots of questions to them. Waste of time obviously.

14. User Score

December 22nd, 2016

This company ripped me off! I bought a pair of boots for about £220 which arrived damaged. They had to be returned and I was refunded and given a voucher off my next purchase! I then purchased again using the voucher but was charged delivery which was supposed to be free as I was spending over £100. I called customer service and the adviser agreed I should be refunded the delivery cost, but I was told the manager would not allow this too happen. So my voucher ended up covering my delivery cost which was supposed to be free. I was clearly ripped off and this company is not too be trusted!

15. User Score

December 16th, 2016

Asos is by the WORST website to order from. I placed an order on November 29th and was supposed to arrive December 8th, it is now December 16th and my order has not arrived. The tracking is ridiculous and not dependable. The customer service never respond and evidently do not care about whether or not you obtain your order. This is my 1st and last time ordering from this website. DO NOT order from this site you’ll waste your time and money!!

16. User Score

December 9th, 2016

MF’ER!!! All that needds to be said!!! STAY AWAY!!!! You have been warned!!!!

17. User Score

December 7th, 2016

Late delivery and Non existent customer service team. Rang 7 times at different times and not once did someone answer the phone! Each time I left the phone ringing for approx 10mins! Shocking! Never again will I spend a penny or recommend this site! Worst experience ever!

18. User Score

December 7th, 2016 Hartford, CT

i sent two items back a few weeks ago and last week I noticed on the refund email Asos only credited me for one. I have been in touch with chat and regular customer service email (convieniently no phone?) and have gotton nowhere. I am told to send them back order info, which I had already provided, and then they don’t contact me back. If I don’t hear an answer within the next few days I will dispute thru my credit card, SMH

19. User Score

December 5th, 2016

I have ordered several things from ASOS and this is the second time they mess up my order. I moved months ago and they sent my last order to my previous address even though my default address is my current address. When I received an email update from UPS with the destination, I contacted immediately. The first person ended my chat conversation abruptly after I told them that I was talking to them though my phone screen and couldn’t change the browser to provide the order number. The second person also stopped responding after they told me that there was nothing they could do and I would only be refunded if the package is returned to them from the address they incorrectly sent it to. Since ASOS can’t handle their mistakes, I contacted my credit card company and they disputed the charge. That’s the last time I order anything on ASOS.

20. User Score

November 28th, 2016 Dallas, TX

Delivered incorrect product then my actual product was out of stock when they finally returned my email. Will never purchase from ASOS again BUYER BEWARE