JCPenney Logo
LAST UPDATED: April 29th, 2021

JCPenny opened its first set of doors back in 1902 and today there are over 1,000 stores nationwide. Children's clothing can be found here, in addition to styles for the whole family and home furnishings. In addition to their stores, they also have the JCPenny outlet stores as well as their well-rounded website.

The Good

• Great styles and designs
  • Website is easy to navigate
  • Advanced search options

When it comes to kids' clothing options, JCPenny offers today's hottest styles, colors and designs in dresses and dress wear, shorts and shirts and swimwear. Similarly, they have the top brand names in footwear, such as Converse, Nike and Reebok.

Their website makes it easy to find that perfect item. Search boxes on the right allow to find the perfect color, size, brand and style. Customers can select as many specifics as they would like to find the exact item they are searching.

For clothing searches, break down the hunt by gender, size, color and style. This is ideal when your daughter needs a purple polka dot dress, or your little boy needs a yellow pin-striped short sleeved dress shirt. Let the ease of JCPenny's website be your personal shopping assistant.

The Bad

• Customer complaints
  • Customer service issues

There are plenty of complaints on review sites on the internet. These complaints were mostly about customer service. A small number of complaints about customer service is nothing to worry about because that could just be a customer or employee having a bad day but when complaints start to pile up about customer service we start to worry about the companies culture and reputation.

The Bottom Line

I recommend shopping at JCPenny, but also recommend the old adage, "buyers beware". Arizona brand seems to be a solid choice, but before purchasing clothes for the kids in your life, be sure to take a minute and glance over the stitchery on the shirts, seam lines on jeans, etc.

3.1

John M. Dickson Jr Washington, DC

4/29/21 the manager in the men's clothing department exhibited attributes of character akin to nobility. I deemed it most important to convey that to his corporate superiors. He is truly an asset to the larger corporation. In a very simple matter where wrong could have been done he did the right thing and for that I am terribly grateful in a society where that does not always happen. Mr. John Malcolm Dickson Jr. He is truly amazing.

Dorsey Rebillard Taylor, PA

I bought my Homecoming dress at JCPenneys in November of 2018. That dress made my entire night memorable and left an impressionable mark on the people who greeted me. There is one employee in particular, Katrina C, that has made my experience even greater. This employee has shown great salesperson skills, including the directory of clothing and the confidence of a passionate employee, and she also shows wonderful leadership skills, where she doesn’t let down a challenge. Although others will doubt her, she has great skills with sales and online order, although recently she had forgotten how to do a cash order from online. She never backs down when things are hard. This employee has many social skills and emphasizes the importance of appearance and elegance. She has fashion skills and she has the skills to make any outfit look amazing. I would highly recommend this employee to anyone looking for a beautiful or business outfit. She has shown very polite manners and always greets with a smile.

Robyn Mount Pleasant, MI

Tiffany in the Alma Michigan store was such a help, my father & I have spent 3 days trying to get the right curtains for his odd shaped windows. Many purchases & returns. We were returning a purchase we made & Tiffany was helping then mentioned she was knowledgable in this area... long of it she was extremely!! She explained, recommended & even placed a order for us as the store didn't have the volume we needed. I'm so Thankful....Thank you Again Tiffany Robyn

Christina Diaz-Rigg Chesterton, IN

At the Porters Vale JCPenney in Valparaiso, IN I came in for an exchange since the boots I bought online were too small. Unfortunately because I got them at an awesome sale price, they didn’t have the same styles anymore. Jacqueline went above and beyond to help me find those styles online, reordered them and I even got them at the same price!! She was so sweet and friendly to me and my 1 year old daughter. I really appreciated her excellent customer service and just genuine friendly personality. I will definitely be back!!

Anne Marie Milne Layton, UT

I've always loved the JCPenney's. I still remember this day very vividly. I went into the store to try on jeans. I've been watching my weight and exercising after I had my second baby and I fit into a size 8 jeans ( yay ) it was the happiest day of my life!!!! I stayed at a size 8 for 20-plus years until I got in a car wreck 4 years ago now I'm struggling a little bit with keeping that balance but I will one day get in that size 8 again. I absolutely love there customer service. Amazing people there are so beyond helpful they will do anything for you!!!! One of my favorite stores.

Debbie Bozeman, MT

I received a $50 gift card. Even though I paid for shipping I never received my order. They sent it without my apartment number so USPS would not leave the package. JC Penny refunded $27.86! Apparently they charged me for the discount I was given at checkout AND the shipping even though it was their fault I never received the package! This was a straight up rip off of $22.14! And their customer service number is a joke! They try to sell you or sign you up for a bunch of other services, but you never get to speak to an actual person! I had to call my local store, EVEN though the order was placed online! I will never do business with them again and have told family & friends to NEVER give me one of their gift cards ever again!

Joseph Giordano Edison, NJ

On February 4, 2021 I placed a order in store for a delivery to the store. On February 18th, received a email, my order was canceled for failure to pick up. I called customer service and the undertrained customer service, offered no solution to my canceled ordered. I explained I never received any email or text my order was ready and available for pick up. Following day, I received a email saying sorry you failed to pick up your order. We would be more than happy to honor the price you paid if you'd like to order the item. No accountability or anything for failure on their part. I ordered somewhere else and now waiting for my refund. I will never shop at Jc Penny!!!!!

Coral ,

On the 3/3/2020 went to JC Penney in Quaker Bridge Mall. Received outstanding customer service by Eileen. Because of her I returned the next day and made other purchases. She was one of three cashiers I encountered that day.. I usually shop nearest to me in PA . But that has changed . Kudos to Elieen.

Patricia Daniels Boise, ID

The 5 stars are for Deb ONLY. I made a purchase today, and Deb (lady with black hair, who was helping us in the men’s dept.) was exceptional!!!! Her service was very friendly, accurate, friendly and fast, AND she knows how to use the computer/cash register!!! Great employee!

Jen Paxman Lehi, UT

JCPenney is one of my favorite sites to buy clothes. They have an endless amount of affordable options... especially on Black Friday. The clothes was and wear well for my kids. I like that if I don't like anything, it is very simple to return it to a store. They always have great customer service as well and their sales representatives are always willing to help.

Elaine Rizzo ,

Never buy from them! I can truly see why JC Penney's is going out of business!!! I was on the website just checking items out. It seemed to have good discount prices so I placed an order. My fault I was in a hurry and rushed through the order. Shorty after placing the order I had time to review it. All of the items that I purchased had a discount attached to them...BUT WAIT....YOU CAN ONLY PICK ONE DISCOUNT!!!! THEREFORE I PAID FULL PRICE FOR ALL OF THE OTHER ITEMS....I would have NEVER ordered these items if they were not on sale because there are so many other stores that have the same items for less. Shame on you Penny's for getting over on new customers. I will never order from you again and when my order comes in...I will take it all back to your store! Worst experience ever not to mention it took me 30 minutes to get in touch with someone and when I did...she was absolutely the worst customer service representative ever...a lot like the website....if you want to know why you are going out of business...just read this

Pekeiydra Williams Tallahassee, FL

I always shop here for my mom, aunt and grandmothers gifts for holidays. I love JCPenny because they have a variety of options to choose from. The staff are always friendly and knowledgeable.

Matthew Hall Jackson, MS

JCPenny is a wonderful brand in that they work with Child Protective Services to keep children in need clothed. They have great clothing. Ad growing up some of their clothes have definitely lasted some growth.

AnneJSH Chagrin Falls, OH

I was extremely happy with the ordering process of my products from JCPenney‘s. I was extremely unhappy with the return of two of the five items. I sent my two items to the Columbus Scarborough address. After four weeks of waiting for a refund to show up on my credit card, I finally called. The 800 number for JCPenney‘s Does even have a return menu item to choose. I therefore had to pretend I was placing a new order to finally get an agent. Because I had tracking information on the receipt of my items at the Scarborough return center, and because I knew my original order number and the item numbers of the return, The gentleman in customer service immediately gave me a credit on to my credit card. My issues with Penny was not about my money. It was the fact that I had to spend the time to follow through with them to get any kind of credit. It was so nice of the gentleman to give me my refund, but when I suggested that something be done about their system he didn’t care at all. He was only going to do exactly what he was told without considering the bigger picture of how JCPenney is treating its customers. I have given JCPenney at two because the items were‘s received in a timely manner and are of good quality. I was also dissatisfied that while I ordered replacement items for the two items I returned, I paid full price because the online set up was such that I couldn’t find the discount very easily. I think JCPenney had better do something about their service.

Aaron Paxman Lehi, UT

I ordered shoes online and I was able to get the shoes shipped to a local store for free. Their online customer service was fast and very efficient. Quality of the shoe was outstanding and very comfortable.

Susan Stewart Salt Lake City, UT

JCPenney has been around forever, and it's because they have great products at great prices. I have used them when redecorating my bathrooms, and for clothes for everyone in my family. They have great selection and really great sales.

Tera Layton, UT

I enjoy shopping at JCPenneys the things that I shop for there are shoes and makeup perfume. I enjoy going to the makeup counter to find new colors and makeup. The people there are very helpful and helping me know what's right for my right coloring. They seem to have some good sales to.

Reann Ryneer Miami, FL

I was online looking for shoes an shirts. I found everything i wanted an checked out. Not even a min later I canceled the order. NOW they took the money from my card ive called they said theres no record so im out 138 dollars. This is BS.

Sicely Lyn Russell Show Low, AZ

I had quite a bit of clothes from JC Penny's when I was a kid. I've loved their jeans and their swimsuits!

Jennifer Marzouk Alexandria, VA

What a joke order items back in November on December 6 package said it was delivered never was. After going back and forth in emails and phone calls and being told to wait 2 weeks and now it’s 2 days before Xmas they tell my items were out of stock this entire time. Will never do business with them again glad there going out of business customer service sucks

Marleen Cohran Prattville, AL

I ordered online 4 pairs of Alfred Dunner ladies pants. I didn't like the fabric one pair was made out of, they were too long and I wanted to return the one pair. There was no return label included in my order so I called customer service @ 1-800-322-1189 to request a return label as instructed online. I called this number and the guy that answered asked me if they had come to me damaged and I said no that the problem was I just didn't like the fabric and I wouldn't wear them. He refused to give me a return label because he said the only reason that I could return them is if they arrived damaged or I could take them to a JC Penney store . I am nearly 73 years old, I can't drive and that is why I order my clothing online. I have never been refused a return label from any store even though I have to pay for the return shipping cost. JC Penney use to be a first class store but I will no longer be doing any shopping with them if this is how they treat their customers. I would have given it a minus number rating if it was available. I will use my right to tell everyone I come in contact with, if the name JC Penny comes up, to not order anything from them because they may find themselves stuck with a product that they don't like.

carolyn clanton Duluth, GA

I recently spoke with a manager regarding having a good faith removal off of my credit report. There were two mad in the year that I owned two homes and it was a struggle. The reaprensentative that I had spoken with was very rude and because I got upset at what she said and stated that I was going to close my account that is what she did. Never once did I ask her to close my account now. Some people don't deserve the jobs that they have right now. There are so many people looking for jobs that would love to try and help people but this person did not have this goal In mind. Service sucked.

Laura Cinert ,

If I could choose zero stars I would. I have been a loyal customer of JC Penney’s for YEARS. In March I made an online purchase and had to return two items that didn’t fit. I sent the items back and contacted them immediately and told them that the refund couldn’t be put back on the card I used as it was a gift card and had since been thrown away. I contacted them three times to tell them and all they told me was it would take 3 weeks to process. Well it’s been two months and I finally got a response. Guess what. They put the refund on the gift card and told me I’m out of luck and to call the gift card company. Worst customer service ever and I will NEVER be shopping at JC Penney’s again. (By the way, I never leave reviews.)

Natalia Correa MDTribe Tallahassee, FL

JCPenney has a lot of great options for children's clothing. They also have lots of different styles to choose from! Good quality and great deals too!

Lexus3 Corona, CA

So I’m honestly very angry and disappointed. I bought a $65 pair of high heels from JCPenneys, not to mention I’m an out of towner and back where I live we have no JCPenneys, I have a very important event to go to early in the morning and as I’m getting dressed and ready to put my new shoes on, I find out that you guys gave me 2 different size shoes and 2 left feet. It’s honestly ridiculous. Nobody checked my shoes as they were scanning them like they do in most stores so they specifically avoid situations like this. It’s very hard to find my tiny foot size and cute heels with it. I’m beyond mad and will NEVER shop there again. Do better JCP. You’re already going out of business.

Ray W. New Albany, IN

Bad store, awful prices, unknowledgeable employees. Never, never shop here. They are all about the money. They dont care about you; they just care about your money. I got a JcPenny guff card for Christmas and wanted to return it because I don't ger out that way often enough to use it (especially 'not' there), and they told me they dont di 'returns' on gift cards or allow you to purchase gift cards in the store to other places you'll actually shop. They say they'll lose money. Again, only caring about money. 1) you got the money guaranteed from the person who initially bought the card and 2) you surely make some commission on selling other restaurants gift cards in your store, otherwise...why are they in the store. Overall opinion and experiences: they care only about money, are greedy, don't care about customer satisfaction as long as they got paid, and unwilling to assist customers to ensure repeat customers. I would have considered shipping here, but this store has many flaws. My family will shop at other stores from here on out. We'll never be returning to jcpenny.

Deb Cassville, MO

I was shopping and a women came up to us telling us are hair looked damaged. We had split ends. Bla bla bla. I am there to shop not to be insulted by someone who works in the Jc Penney Salon. I am very sure all the other shoppers she insulted didn’t like either. If this happens to me again. I will not shop there again. It was very Rude!!!

Zach Kondraski Wilkes-Barre, PA

12/29/19-Margiee in the jewelry department in the Wyoming Valley Mall in Wilkes-Barre Pennsylvania is the meanest, rudest woman in that entire store. She should not be working with the public at all. She disrespected me multiple times she slammed the pen down in front of me and she kept disrespecting me from behind the counter. I bought a watch there and it broke 4 times. I spent over $100 on that watch and it keeps breaking. I will NEVER EVER spend another dollar in that store. She needs to be fired. She is the most unhelpful rudest woman and I work with the public every single day and I have never ever been so disrespected by somebody in my life.

Aly y Ruskin, FL

POOR SERVICE: I was very excited to purchase a play kitchen for my grandchildren at the Black Friday sale. When I opened it, it was significantly damaged and clearly not new. So I returned it and was happy to find they had one left. The Associate and I opened it to check for damage before buying. When I opened the second kitchen- it too was damaged and dirty. Clearly used. There were even hairs on it. I told them I would still purchase it, as I had promised it to my grandkids but that I would not pay the new price as it was clearly used. I asked for an additional percentage off. The manager initially told me she would give me 30% off the original price- but I told her that would be MORE than the current sale price! I told her I would take it for 30% off the current sale price - which had dropped another $10 from the day before. She wanted to offer it to me for a percentage off the previous day’s price. Not reasonable. I wanted a discount on the price that day for a clearly used item. She wouldn’t make eye contact and wasn’t helpful. There are so many stores out there today- all offering kids kitchens. I told her I wanted to shop at JCP but that with such poor customer service she lost a Penney’s customer for good. She didn’t even care. I’m the end, they lost a lifelong shopper over what amounted to just $6.

Jo Cedar Rapids, IA

Do NOT use they order to store option. I was charged for an item that has taken almost 3 weeks to arrive at the store, and I cannot cancel the order or receive a refund until the item is received at the store. No one is willing to help, or do anything about it. Why can’t a customer get a refund?? Because the product hasn’t been received, remember this is coming from the warehouse. So it’s being shipped from the JCP warehouse to a JCP store, I am charged but can’t get a refund because it hasn’t been received. Makes ABSOLUTELY no sense, this is the definition of business prevention and NO customer service. JCP dropped the ball, and as the customer I have to clean it up to get my refund. Call the store when the item arrives, I have to do that. Or wait 10 days they will hold it until then, if you don’t pick it up they send it back and refund you the money. Which would be approximately 5 weeks from the time of order... absolutely terrible service. Actually it’s not even service, business prevention at its finest and the saddest example of service I’ve seen in years.

SAUNDRA Harper Durham, NC

Worse store t deal with if you have a legal matter. In addition poor quality in all areas. Their insurance company do not investigate report of injuries. Decisions are made based on their information. What about seeing what the client’s proof? Their insurance company confict you without a trail, proof etc. The people representing them has no morals, integrity. I hope and pray the ones who passed the decisions not to hold JC Penny liable for their mistake. And one of their love ones do not have to go thru what I am experiencing. Whether I lose or win, I will always teach my children, friends,etc to be honest and stand up for your rights.

trina Hyattsville, MD

if i could give no stars i would worst experience ever, first the store in woodmore i went to buy boots and necklace that where on sale and the cashiers couldnt get coupon to scan so i can get the sale price so i said forget it and and left the store and ordered the items online on feb 9th so on the delivery suppose to have been for the 15th, and today is the 20th still not there so upset because the customer service dont know anything but it has been shipped to the store call the store no answer called back and spoke with someone that didnt know any thing but just it not here.......where is my order never again!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sucks

Kayla Cleveland, OH

The only reason I am leaving one star is because zero is not an option. I have been shopping at JCPenney for too many years to count and the last 2 weeks they have given me the worst customer service I have ever seen. I had an issue about a sale price in North Olmsted, Ohio and the manager absolutely refused to help me or to even look at the sign that was by the product. She told me she would do it after I left and would not help me. They then overcharged my credit card after I repeatedly asked them not to and then were mean and disrespectful to me when doing so. I had ordered an online item and over a week after it was delivered, the Parma, Ohio store was unable to help me in finding my order and told me that I had only ordered one item instead of two even though I was charged for multiple. I had talked to the online store and the actual store and no one was able to help me. I spent almost 2 hours in the store with a manager while talking the the online store. And over a week after it was "delivered", I still have not gotten my money back or my products. All of these issues have been in 2 weeks. I will be canceling my credit card with them and taking my business elsewhere. I have never seen poor customer service like this in my life.

Victoria San Diego, CA

Paid extra $150 to have my bed delivered and set up. Ryder, who delivered dropped off the bed. No set up. Called and because of COVID, they only deliver. For $150??? So I would have to pay someone else to put it together! AND, they charged me another $152 to restock and return! What poor customer service and scam! I will never shop at JCP again!

Stephanie Smith New York, NY

I found 3 adorable outs fits on the sale table at the JC Penney in Manchester, New Hampshire. I proceeded to the register and found the prices to be incorrect. The CSR followed me to where I found the outfits. The sign didn’t match the clothes. I expected to receive the prices shown for the product. The manager was called and still to no avail. Against my better judgement I purchased them. I will never set foot in this place again!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Angela Vachon Memphis, TN

I placed my first order in many, many years with JCP over the weekend. It was for in store pick up. They order was confirmed. They withdrew the money. Order was supposed to be ready next day within two hours. Nothing happened. Then the next day I get an email saying the order has been cancelled. The item is still in stock but now 5x the price. Terrible service and I understand why they are in danger of closing all stores soon.

Tmorgan1104 Virginia Beach, VA

Literally have been dealing with JCPenney's for over 2 weeks now in regards to a mattress I wanted to purchase but had so many mess up in the process to the point where I canceled it. I have now been charged for the 4th time on a mattress I have not received after calling and speaking to them the PAST 7 DAYS. I just dont get it. Worst service I have ever have. Now I have to wait until 8 so I can call for the 8th time this week to get my money back and explain myself once again. Do better JCPenny. This is ridiculous.

April Ellerbeck ,

I ordered a pair of shoes online through JC Penney. I received the shows but they are just a little bit too small. It took me forever to find out how to actually process a return or exchange. Its very easy to find their Policy but not in how to process it. I finally spoke with a customer service representative and they said I cannot get an exchange over mail. I can only send the shoes back and get a refund and then I would need to make a new order for the bigger pair. I can't go into the stores right now because of the coronavirus. So I am not going to order anything from this company again.

Elizabeth Wallace Kingsport, TN

I just spent two hours on the phone trying to get my package rerouted. It is going to my mailing address rather than my shipping address. Instead of helping, they gave me the run around. Now, not only do I not have the clothes I order but the refused to refund me for product I will never receive. I am going to write a negative review everyday until this is corrected. This is the first problem I've had and I am disappointed in the level of inability to help me. Elizabeth

John Yi Dallas, TX

I guess theres a reason why their closing most of their department stores. The item I ordered online keeps saying shipped ( it's been almost 2 weeks) but never was delivered to the store. Customer service says it takes 2 weeks for a refund. What a joke! This was the first and last purchase from this Company. I wouldn't recommend anything from your company!

Katlyn Hockman Houston, TX

Their prices are amazing and there is always something for everyone for any occasion. Their employees are always helpful whenever help is needed.

stevey shumway Provo, UT

JCPenney is a great store. The clothing in the children's section is affordable and good quality. The section is always well kept and tidy.

Jaci Rhoades Bryant, AR

I live at JCPenney's for my son. They have a wonderful selection for boys (which is hard to find). The prices are extremely fair.

Esther Elizondo Rio Rancho, NM

I purchased a LG dishwasher and it broke 3 or more times in the first year , the mother board kept cracking and wound not work. they replaced mother board but would not let me get a different appliance . A year has past and LG is not insuring it, JC penny warranty is useless and they refused to fix the machine even through I have a 6 year warranty . They are telling me its cosmetic , the mother board is cracked for the 4 time in 18 months.

Unhappy lost customer Jacksonville, FL

If I could give a -5 stars I would. Customer service is terrible. Website is terrible. I put in a request to have the store manager at Regency call me. He sent me an email requesting the best time. I gave it to him and never heard from him after that. This was my first experience ordering online with them and haven’t visited a store in probably 20 years. I will never ever do with them again. They do not care about customers receiving their items ordered at all.

sbalchandani Chandler, AZ

I ordered online for pick up in store, I ordered 2 sweaters for my dad. one maroon and one black When I went to pick up my order first of all there was no packaging my order bag was completely open and I only received 1 correct sweater after waiting for like 10 days for my order. I only received maroon sweater and instead of the black sweater they sent me something completely weird and red. The guy at the pick up reception was completely help less and didn't know what to do and he was like yes this is definitely what you order after pulling up my order online. This is so unacceptable.

Raul Romero Sacramento, CA

Terrible customer service. Received box with correct packing slip but wrong items. Called online customer service, told the fastest way to fix the issue was to return to store. This was an online purchase, if I want to mail back it would take 5 to 6 weeks for credit and reorder and they wouldn’t guarantee sale prices... just amazingly horrible service...

Amy Weir Bentonville, AR

I got an email yesterday saying that my online order had been canceled, and when I called today they said that there just wasn't enough inventory to send me the six shirts I ordered, even though the website said there were six shirts available when I placed the order. They also couldn't give me back the $20 coupon I'd used. I'm very very very annoyed with JC Penney, I'll never shop there again.

Haley North Richland Hills, TX

I called ahead of time to make sure they could help me with what I needed. I needed extra watch links for a watch I bought there. I called and gave specific brand information and was told me they could help. I showed up and was told that they in fact could not help me and basically told me too bad I don’t know what to tell you. Didn’t offer me any kind of alternative whatsoever.

Rome nolastname Strongsville, OH

Worst customer service processing yet. I have been hung up on twice. I believe this is an effort to have customers avoid the survey given at the end of the call.