JCPenny opened its first set of doors back in 1902 and today there are over 1,000 stores nationwide. Children's clothing can be found here, in addition to styles for the whole family and home furnishings. In addition to their stores, they also have the JCPenny outlet stores as well as their well-rounded website.

Old Navy chevron_right
3.8
Kohl's chevron_right

The Good

• Great styles and designs
  • Website is easy to navigate
  • Advanced search options

When it comes to kids' clothing options, JCPenny offers today's hottest styles, colors and designs in dresses and dress wear, shorts and shirts and swimwear. Similarly, they have the top brand names in footwear, such as Converse, Nike and Reebok.

Their website makes it easy to find that perfect item. Search boxes on the right allow to find the perfect color, size, brand and style. Customers can select as many specifics as they would like to find the exact item they are searching.

For clothing searches, break down the hunt by gender, size, color and style. This is ideal when your daughter needs a purple polka dot dress, or your little boy needs a yellow pin-striped short sleeved dress shirt. Let the ease of JCPenny's website be your personal shopping assistant.

The Bad

• Customer complaints
  • Customer service issues

There are plenty of complaints on review sites on the internet. These complaints were mostly about customer service. A small number of complaints about customer service is nothing to worry about because that could just be a customer or employee having a bad day but when complaints start to pile up about customer service we start to worry about the companies culture and reputation.

The Bottom Line

I recommend shopping at JCPenny, but also recommend the old adage, "buyers beware". Arizona brand seems to be a solid choice, but before purchasing clothes for the kids in your life, be sure to take a minute and glance over the stitchery on the shirts, seam lines on jeans, etc.

3.5

Christina Diaz-Rigg
December 12th, 2019 Chesterton, IN DETAILS

At the Porters Vale JCPenney in Valparaiso, IN I came in for an exchange since the boots I bought online were too small. Unfortunately because I got them at an awesome sale price, they didn’t have the same styles anymore. Jacqueline went above and beyond to help me find those styles online, reordered them and I even got them at the same price!! She was so sweet and friendly to me and my 1 year old daughter. I really appreciated her excellent customer service and just genuine friendly personality. I will definitely be back!!

Patricia Daniels
December 4th, 2019 Boise, ID DETAILS

The 5 stars are for Deb ONLY. I made a purchase today, and Deb (lady with black hair, who was helping us in the men’s dept.) was exceptional!!!! Her service was very friendly, accurate, friendly and fast, AND she knows how to use the computer/cash register!!! Great employee!

Allison
December 3rd, 2019 Danville, VA DETAILS

I purchased a massage chair and love it. Love all the features.

Aly y
December 3rd, 2019 Ruskin, FL DETAILS

POOR SERVICE: I was very excited to purchase a play kitchen for my grandchildren at the Black Friday sale. When I opened it, it was significantly damaged and clearly not new. So I returned it and was happy to find they had one left. The Associate and I opened it to check for damage before buying. When I opened the second kitchen- it too was damaged and dirty. Clearly used. There were even hairs on it. I told them I would still purchase it, as I had promised it to my grandkids but that I would not pay the new price as it was clearly used. I asked for an additional percentage off. The manager initially told me she would give me 30% off the original price- but I told her that would be MORE than the current sale price! I told her I would take it for 30% off the current sale price - which had dropped another $10 from the day before. She wanted to offer it to me for a percentage off the previous day’s price. Not reasonable. I wanted a discount on the price that day for a clearly used item. She wouldn’t make eye contact and wasn’t helpful. There are so many stores out there today- all offering kids kitchens. I told her I wanted to shop at JCP but that with such poor customer service she lost a Penney’s customer for good. She didn’t even care. I’m the end, they lost a lifelong shopper over what amounted to just $6.

Unhappy lost customer
November 25th, 2019 Jacksonville, FL DETAILS

If I could give a -5 stars I would. Customer service is terrible. Website is terrible. I put in a request to have the store manager at Regency call me. He sent me an email requesting the best time. I gave it to him and never heard from him after that. This was my first experience ordering online with them and haven’t visited a store in probably 20 years. I will never ever do with them again. They do not care about customers receiving their items ordered at all.

sbalchandani
October 15th, 2019 Chandler, AZ DETAILS

I ordered online for pick up in store, I ordered 2 sweaters for my dad. one maroon and one black When I went to pick up my order first of all there was no packaging my order bag was completely open and I only received 1 correct sweater after waiting for like 10 days for my order. I only received maroon sweater and instead of the black sweater they sent me something completely weird and red. The guy at the pick up reception was completely help less and didn't know what to do and he was like yes this is definitely what you order after pulling up my order online. This is so unacceptable.

Raul Romero
September 18th, 2019 Sacramento, CA DETAILS

Terrible customer service. Received box with correct packing slip but wrong items. Called online customer service, told the fastest way to fix the issue was to return to store. This was an online purchase, if I want to mail back it would take 5 to 6 weeks for credit and reorder and they wouldn’t guarantee sale prices... just amazingly horrible service...

Jo
August 13th, 2019 Cedar Rapids, IA DETAILS

Do NOT use they order to store option. I was charged for an item that has taken almost 3 weeks to arrive at the store, and I cannot cancel the order or receive a refund until the item is received at the store. No one is willing to help, or do anything about it. Why can’t a customer get a refund?? Because the product hasn’t been received, remember this is coming from the warehouse. So it’s being shipped from the JCP warehouse to a JCP store, I am charged but can’t get a refund because it hasn’t been received. Makes ABSOLUTELY no sense, this is the definition of business prevention and NO customer service. JCP dropped the ball, and as the customer I have to clean it up to get my refund. Call the store when the item arrives, I have to do that. Or wait 10 days they will hold it until then, if you don’t pick it up they send it back and refund you the money. Which would be approximately 5 weeks from the time of order... absolutely terrible service. Actually it’s not even service, business prevention at its finest and the saddest example of service I’ve seen in years.

Becca
July 31st, 2019 Bozeman, MT DETAILS

It was great! I was helped by a gal named Kayla in the Bozeman Gallatin valley mall. She was very helpful and friendly!

Dorsey Rebillard
June 27th, 2019 Taylor, PA DETAILS

I bought my Homecoming dress at JCPenneys in November of 2018. That dress made my entire night memorable and left an impressionable mark on the people who greeted me. There is one employee in particular, Katrina C, that has made my experience even greater. This employee has shown great salesperson skills, including the directory of clothing and the confidence of a passionate employee, and she also shows wonderful leadership skills, where she doesn’t let down a challenge. Although others will doubt her, she has great skills with sales and online order, although recently she had forgotten how to do a cash order from online. She never backs down when things are hard. This employee has many social skills and emphasizes the importance of appearance and elegance. She has fashion skills and she has the skills to make any outfit look amazing. I would highly recommend this employee to anyone looking for a beautiful or business outfit. She has shown very polite manners and always greets with a smile.

AnneJSH
June 20th, 2019 Chagrin Falls, OH DETAILS

I was extremely happy with the ordering process of my products from JCPenney‘s. I was extremely unhappy with the return of two of the five items. I sent my two items to the Columbus Scarborough address. After four weeks of waiting for a refund to show up on my credit card, I finally called. The 800 number for JCPenney‘s Does even have a return menu item to choose. I therefore had to pretend I was placing a new order to finally get an agent. Because I had tracking information on the receipt of my items at the Scarborough return center, and because I knew my original order number and the item numbers of the return, The gentleman in customer service immediately gave me a credit on to my credit card. My issues with Penny was not about my money. It was the fact that I had to spend the time to follow through with them to get any kind of credit. It was so nice of the gentleman to give me my refund, but when I suggested that something be done about their system he didn’t care at all. He was only going to do exactly what he was told without considering the bigger picture of how JCPenney is treating its customers. I have given JCPenney at two because the items were‘s received in a timely manner and are of good quality. I was also dissatisfied that while I ordered replacement items for the two items I returned, I paid full price because the online set up was such that I couldn’t find the discount very easily. I think JCPenney had better do something about their service.

Amy Weir
May 22nd, 2019 Bentonville, AR DETAILS

I got an email yesterday saying that my online order had been canceled, and when I called today they said that there just wasn't enough inventory to send me the six shirts I ordered, even though the website said there were six shirts available when I placed the order. They also couldn't give me back the $20 coupon I'd used. I'm very very very annoyed with JC Penney, I'll never shop there again.

Tyion Lamaster
May 13th, 2019 Kansas City, MO DETAILS

A lady name Sandi was so sweet she deserves a raise for the good help -Tyion Lamaster

Michelle Burnett
May 9th, 2019 Thayer, MO DETAILS

I bought a pair of Nike Tanjun boys shoes last month and they are falling apart already. The ends- on the toe, are coming off and there is a tear in them. He's worn them like 15 times, the soles are still clean.

Nikki Smith
May 6th, 2019 Belleville, IL DETAILS

I lovvvveeeeeee JC Penney's the customer service representatives are always friendly and knowledgeable and personable

SAUNDRA Harper
April 1st, 2019 Durham, NC

Worse store t deal with if you have a legal matter. In addition poor quality in all areas. Their insurance company do not investigate report of injuries. Decisions are made based on their information. What about seeing what the client’s proof? Their insurance company confict you without a trail, proof etc. The people representing them has no morals, integrity. I hope and pray the ones who passed the decisions not to hold JC Penny liable for their mistake. And one of their love ones do not have to go thru what I am experiencing. Whether I lose or win, I will always teach my children, friends,etc to be honest and stand up for your rights.

Madhu
March 13th, 2019 Tempe, AZ

I got JCP reward cards of $32, expiry date was 2/19. But JCPenny didn’t accept these card they said they are expired though they are not. I have lost 32$.

trina
February 21st, 2019 Hyattsville, MD DETAILS

if i could give no stars i would worst experience ever, first the store in woodmore i went to buy boots and necklace that where on sale and the cashiers couldnt get coupon to scan so i can get the sale price so i said forget it and and left the store and ordered the items online on feb 9th so on the delivery suppose to have been for the 15th, and today is the 20th still not there so upset because the customer service dont know anything but it has been shipped to the store call the store no answer called back and spoke with someone that didnt know any thing but just it not here.......where is my order never again!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sucks

Jen Paxman
February 13th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS

JCPenney is one of my favorite sites to buy clothes. They have an endless amount of affordable options... especially on Black Friday. The clothes was and wear well for my kids. I like that if I don't like anything, it is very simple to return it to a store. They always have great customer service as well and their sales representatives are always willing to help.

Aaron Paxman
February 13th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS

I ordered shoes online and I was able to get the shoes shipped to a local store for free. Their online customer service was fast and very efficient. Quality of the shoe was outstanding and very comfortable.

Haley
February 1st, 2019 North Richland Hills, TX DETAILS

I called ahead of time to make sure they could help me with what I needed. I needed extra watch links for a watch I bought there. I called and gave specific brand information and was told me they could help. I showed up and was told that they in fact could not help me and basically told me too bad I don’t know what to tell you. Didn’t offer me any kind of alternative whatsoever.

Patty Jenkins
January 31st, 2019 Akron, OH DETAILS

I have to say I was just in the store today and they have the ugliest clothes. So cheap-looking! Very disappointed.

Kayla
January 29th, 2019 Cleveland, OH DETAILS

The only reason I am leaving one star is because zero is not an option. I have been shopping at JCPenney for too many years to count and the last 2 weeks they have given me the worst customer service I have ever seen. I had an issue about a sale price in North Olmsted, Ohio and the manager absolutely refused to help me or to even look at the sign that was by the product. She told me she would do it after I left and would not help me. They then overcharged my credit card after I repeatedly asked them not to and then were mean and disrespectful to me when doing so. I had ordered an online item and over a week after it was delivered, the Parma, Ohio store was unable to help me in finding my order and told me that I had only ordered one item instead of two even though I was charged for multiple. I had talked to the online store and the actual store and no one was able to help me. I spent almost 2 hours in the store with a manager while talking the the online store. And over a week after it was "delivered", I still have not gotten my money back or my products. All of these issues have been in 2 weeks. I will be canceling my credit card with them and taking my business elsewhere. I have never seen poor customer service like this in my life.

Paula Henrie
August 28th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

JCPenney has a good range of styles and so many options that come in many sizes. All of there clothing has a great price and they even have occasional sales happening.

Thomas Hullinger
August 27th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

JCPenney is always keeping up with the latest styles and always at a great price. I love the Big and Tall Section even for my children.

Brooke Hester
June 5th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

Super cheap clothes that i love!! So easy to find things too!!

Joanna Hester
June 5th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

Whenever one of my girls need a dress I always go to online JCPenney. They have the best selection and prices!

Sadie Scoville
June 5th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

My friends always have the cutest shoes and they are always from JCPenney!

Amelia Gibson
June 1st, 2018 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

I like that this company has alot of choices.

Kristin
May 31st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Every time I go to check out at JC Penney’s I have to wait in a long line.

Avery Fowler
May 31st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I have enjoyed the clothes we have purchased from JCPenney. The styles can look a little dated at times, but the quality is great!

Bella Houtz
May 29th, 2018 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

We love jc penny it has great customer service. We there is a huge variety of good clothing!

Bella Houtz
May 29th, 2018 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

JCPenny is a great place to shop. It has a great variety of anything you need!

H Moore
May 29th, 2018 Lehi, UT DETAILS

We love JC Penney, and I've taken my kids there for years for portraits as well.

Ashley
May 25th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Great quality children’s clothing . Usually you can find a sale every weekend.

Schon
May 1st, 2018 Smithfield, UT DETAILS

We have shopped here for many years. There is nothing special about this store compared to others but they have good clothes at decent prices.

RJ
April 30th, 2018 Provo, UT DETAILS

They have had a great selection at reasonable prices.

Anne Marie Milne
April 17th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS

I've always loved the JCPenney's. I still remember this day very vividly. I went into the store to try on jeans. I've been watching my weight and exercising after I had my second baby and I fit into a size 8 jeans ( yay ) it was the happiest day of my life!!!! I stayed at a size 8 for 20-plus years until I got in a car wreck 4 years ago now I'm struggling a little bit with keeping that balance but I will one day get in that size 8 again. I absolutely love there customer service. Amazing people there are so beyond helpful they will do anything for you!!!! One of my favorite stores.

Tera
April 17th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS

I enjoy shopping at JCPenneys the things that I shop for there are shoes and makeup perfume. I enjoy going to the makeup counter to find new colors and makeup. The people there are very helpful and helping me know what's right for my right coloring. They seem to have some good sales to.

P. Palmer
April 17th, 2018 El Paso, TX DETAILS

I love pennys! I can always find cute clothes for me and my kiddo at a good price.

Michael
April 16th, 2018 Ogden, UT DETAILS

Great store. Sad to see so many closing

Landon Robison
April 9th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS

They have great quality clothing but they are pretty high in price. I would not recommend if you are on a budget.

Becky Stiggins
December 14th, 2017 Provo, UT DETAILS

Penney's is not a store I shop at that frequently, but when I do, I am always happy with their pricing and their products.

Amanda Davis
August 7th, 2017 GA

Customer service was excellent evertime I entered the store everyone was friendly and helpful

Susan Stewart
June 13th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

JCPenney has been around forever, and it's because they have great products at great prices. I have used them when redecorating my bathrooms, and for clothes for everyone in my family. They have great selection and really great sales.

Denise Huber
June 2nd, 2017 Mona, UT

JCPenney has great sales and promotions. I also like that they offer a wide variety of products.