Best Company Guarantee Verizon Logo

Verizon

9.0

LAST UPDATED: November 24th, 2021

Verizon Wireless is the largest service provider of wireless telecommunications in the United States with over 150 million subscribers nationwide. In business since 2000, the company was originally a merger of Bell Atlantic and GTE, and over the last several years it has picked up several smaller regional carriers to build the largest wireless network in the United States.

Verizon has a wide variety of products and services to offer customers, including wireless phone service, basic phones, smartphones, tablets, wireless Internet, cloud storage for photos, videos, and other media. Verizon is one of the few companies that allows customers to integrate their Internet devices and cloud media.

Regarding Verizon's quality as a cell phone provider, there are several pros and cons worthy of consideration in addition to the 700+ Verizon reviews below.

The Good

• Devices Available
  • Plans Offered
  • Top Features
  • Smart Family
  • Deals

Devices Available

Verizon has the best selection of phones, including all of the latest Android and Apple devices, including ASUS, Google, LG, Motorola, Palm, Apple, and Samsung brands. Notable recent models include:

• Apple iPhone Xs
  • Apple iPhone Xs Max
  • Apple iPhone Xr
  • Samsung Galaxy S10
  • Samsung Galaxy S10 plus
  • Samsung Galaxy S10e
  • Samsung Galaxy Note9
  • Google Pixel 4

Customers also have the option of device trade-ins or bringing their current phone. In fact, when you switch to Verizon with your current phone, you get a $250 PrePaid Mastercard in addition to a free SIM card when you order one online and pick it up in the store.

In addition, the Verizon store has basic phones (Kyocera, LG, and Sonim brands), certified pre-owned phones, pre-paid phones, and phone accessories like the Apple watch, other wearable tech, HD security cameras, voice-activated wireless speakers, and charging pads.

Plans Offered

Verizon offers a broad variety of plans in order to suit a range of customer needs. Plans include:

• Unlimited ($35-$60 per line per month with autopay)
  • Shared data plans ($35-$70 per month total for an individual or family)
  • Prepaid plans ($30+ per month)
  • International plans (options for travel, prepaid international services, or talk and text from the U.S.)
  • Connected device plans (for tablets, hotspots, and connected devices)
  • Single device plans (for basic phones requiring only talk and text, or a tablet or hotspot requiring minimal data)
  • Business plans for 5+ lines

Top Features

Verizon's premium plan, the AboveUnlimited plan, you pay $60/line per month plus taxes and fees, but you get several unique perks. Here's what you get:

• 75 GB data at 4G LTE speeds
  • Unlimited talk and text
  • HD-quality streaming (720p upload speeds)
  • Unlimited mobile hotspot (20 GB at 4G LTE)
  • Verizon Up Rewards
  • Talk, text, and data to Mexico and Canada
  • 5 TravelPasses per month to use in 185+ countries
  • 500 GB Verizon Cloud
  • Apple Music account

The GoUnlimited and BeyondUnlimited include some of the above features, (including some mobile hotspot data, limited-time Apple Music account, unlimited data, unlimited calls, and unlimited texting) but not all.

Smart Family

Verizon has an in-carrier parental control system that works with the Smart Family app, which costs $9.99/month after a 30-day trial. The app has content filters for apps and websites, location tracking, the ability to pause the internet, and contact blocking capabilities. If you don't want the location tracking feature, you only pay $4.99/month.

Deals

The carrier is continually providing promotional discounts for new phones and new customers but also consistently offers exclusive deals to military and veteran-status personnel, first responders (firefighters, police, EMS workers, retirees, and volunteers), and employees.

The Bad

• Customer Complaints
  • Pricing

Customer Complaints

Customer reviews give insight into some of the challenges customers can face despite the strengths of the provider. Some customers report that they did not like the original phone that they received and had to wait for an extended period of time to get a Verizon credit so that they could move over to a new device.

There are also customers who have experienced long wait times or failure to get their questions answered by tech support. In this case, the popularity of the carrier can be a detriment to the customer service experience.

Pricing

Verizon's reputation as the carrier with the best network coverage comes at a price. Prices for Verizon's unlimited plans start at $35/line per month and cost up to $60/line per month. Other carriers are generally more affordable. However, you usually get what you pay for.

Per Verizon's terms and conditions, if you cancel a line of service after 14 days of signing a contract, you must pay an early termination fee.

The Bottom Line

Verizon offers one of the most complete cell phone service packages available on the market, excellent network coverage, and it has strong overall customer reviews despite the occasional negative feedback.

Customers who decide to go with Verizon as their cell phone provider can expect the following:

• Extensive phone selection: Verizon has all phones in high demand and offers financing
  • Unlimited talk and text: this is standard with all packages
  • Unique perks: an Apple music account is included with the unlimited plans
  • Easy to expand service: add lines or set up a business account with ease
  • Billing features: customers can text in to inquire about their account usage status for that billing cycle
  • Parental controls: the Smart Family app gives parents phone monitoring tools

bestcompany guarantee

Learn More

4.0

Dale Dunfield Rockville, CT

After being a longtime Verizon customer (including all the former companies that ultimately became Verizon), I made the mistake of changing to a different company. It took me less than one week to realize my error. On 11/16/2021, I went to Verizon, 90 Buckland Rd, South Windsor CT. I met Candice, a Verizon specialist, who proceeded to spend almost two hours to return the excellent service I once had with Verizon. She helped me with a new plan, a new phone and best of all captured my original Verizon cell phone number. I can't say enough about her. What a stellar Verizon employee !!

Kaylee Gay Chicago, IL

I love how much coverage Verizon provides as well as the flexibility in plans and customizable family options. They make it so easy to find the perfect plan for you. I felt like Verizon covered a wide range of areas to where I was still reaching coverage on top of one of the Rocky Mountains. I also love Verizon's warranty protection and customer service. Their employees are always so ready to help you and they definitely take care of their customers. I don't see me switching anytime soon!

Suzie DeKerlegand Lynnwood, WA

I have been a Verizon Wireless customer for over 15 years. I was switching to T-Mobile because they had a very good sounding offer. T-Mobile was one of the worse business experiences I've had in my 50+ years!! Moral of the story; You get what you pay for!! Verizon might be more expensive, but their customer service has always been honest, my calls don't drop and T-Mobile when transferring me to a manager - hung up on me. Verizon has never blatantly hung up on me. Stick with Verizon people!!

Chris Raum Goose Creek, SC

I have never had any issues with Verizon after using them for several years. I only use their mobile service/data and have been able to handle most everything over the browser with ease, so have had little experience with their customer service. The service has always been excellent, and while there are occasional dead zones, it is by far the most reliable carrier I have used. My wife uses another carrier, and she often loses service and data while I do not, and it is very rare that the opposite happens, but this is likely affected by location, so you're mileage may vary.

Bob Weir Cañon City, CO

promised 900 dollars in rebates that i never received. Would not have bought the phones for full prices feel ripped off, UPDATE verizon did a 180 and issued my credit

Robert W Eighmy Henderson, NV

I have been with Verizon for over 20 years and have always had reliable service with competent help when needed. I have 6 phones on the service and have no plans to change.

Lorie Valrico, FL

I have always had good reception with Verizon and not so much with some other companies from what my friends tell me. I probably could get a cheaper plan, but I stay with them for their dependability.

Lenora Francis Brookline, MA

Verizon, is the best company to have a cell phone account with. There are no dropped calls ever, as that only happens from other cellular phones if that person doesn’t have Verizon at the other end who you are speaking to.

Pauline Abernathy Tucker, GA

They provide the wifi in my car and on a tablet. I have only had to call with an inquiry 3 times in the last two years! I absolutely love how they handle all my calls with complete confidence.

Yael Fort Myers, FL

I have been a paying customer with Verizon for years now and hands down they have the best service, phone selections and customer service on the planet. They offer great deals and pricing weekly, my military discount saves me hundreds monthly and much much more! I will never switch again to another cell phone carrier as they have my back always!

Ann Horst San Antonio, TX

I absolutely love my Prepaid Verizon Cell phone service. After three months they brought the price down $5 per month which is so helpful. And it's still coming down. And one month, I ran out of data because I forgot to use wifi, and I was able to just add $10 worth of data super easily. Love my plan. I don't want to leave them even if I find it cheaper elsewhere because it's Verizon and I trust their service.

K. Mcintyre Riverview, FL

Cell service has always been excellent compared to the service that friends and family have received from other carriers when compared at the same locations.

Queen Smyrna, GA

I have been a customer for many years and used Verizon even when overseas. They offered a great international plan when I traveled so I would not have a huge phone bill.

Susan Taylor Milwaukee, WI

I have been a Verizon customer for years! They have the best customer service and network! We never have”dropped calls” and have never Ben without a signal! If your on the fence, jump in with both feet!

Blaine Stiegelmeyer Virginia Beach, VA

Verizon has been my choice in cell phone companies for many years. I have been able to get service in many areas my friends, who have other services, have not. Whenever l have had a problem they have been able to fix it quickly, many times at no cost.

Sara Schroeder Warren, MI

I've been with Verizon ever since I got my first cell phone and phone number 20 years ago. If there is ever an issue or if I have a question about new plans or products, I always receive the best service over the phone or in the store. Thank you Verizon!

Andrea Thomas Bellevue, WA

I don’t know why I left Verizon for the 7 years because the 12 years of being with them and now being back for under a year, I LOVE their customer service, their services are always working, and I’m happy. I won’t ever leave them again, even for a super big deal. I highly recommend Verizon.

Lisa C Smyrna, DE

Pricey; but, the best service ever. No dropped calls and I've had cell service since it was Bell Atlantic. When cell phones were out during 9-11, Verizon was working, I even allowed people to call their landlines from my cell to let their families know they we ok.

Penny Jackson, TN

Jz! Where do I even start with the goodness of Verizon! I have been a customer for over 10 years and I don't have anything bad to say about this phone company. I keep saving money every month with Verizon and even better is their visa card. I get cash back from using the visa card for purchases, plus many other discounts offered by Verizon. In fact, with all the discounts and rewards sometimes I pay less than $50 for my monthly bill. I recommended Verizon to friends and family and they are also enjoying the services.

Dennis K Spokane, WA

Verizon has been and still is the elite cell phone provider, there is no question about that, excellent service, customer service, broadband speed, and selection of phones/tablets for sale, that’s why they are also the elite when it comes to the price of monthly service . What you pay is what you get though, however I think that I can get great cell phone service around my city as well for much less then what it costs with Verizon.

Richard Kellogg Kirkland, WA

Best coverage in a difficult area. They sent me a booster at no cost to improve my signal. Neighbors have other providers and very poor service.

Andrea Wheaton, IL

I recently switched to Verizon because their rates are finally more competitive! Shocking really since they are often the most expensive. The service has been fantastic. I no longer have dropped calls and the 5G is AMAZING. Its faster than the wifi at my work. I'm a huge fan of Verizon these days!

pencraftco Portland, OR

Reliable. On the few occasions I have had an issue, the customer service reps are knowledgeable and helpful. I have never had a coverage issue. It has been easy to sign up for travel plans when I have gone overseas. No complaints from me!

Ahmed Brooklyn, NY

Best company in NYC and probably all over the USA I’ve been to Florida, New Jersey , Virginia , North Carolina and upstate New York and virtually always have been able to have a great signal and clear reception on the phone. Great deals with the unlimited plans. Highly recommended.

Donna G Schultz Grove, OK

Great phone company in our rural area. They are the only mobile phone that will work in our area. They're reasonably priced and their equipment is quality. They're always ready to help you if you have a problem whether it's by phone, Chat or if you walk into their store.

Diana Armes Wallace Batesville, AR

We have been customers of Verizon for more than 12 years. Until this past year, my husband was a truck driver and Verizon is the company that has the best phone service throughout the US. Now that he’s retired, we will keep Verizon because of their dependability.

Kathy Vinski Cape Coral, FL

Love my service, very rarely do I have service issues. There offers for phones however are not the best most of the time. I have had Verizon for over ten years. I would like to see better phone offers on new phones for upgrades

Michelle Thomason Daphne, AL

We’ve had Verizon for several years, after not getting good reception at our home from a previous provider. When our service was spotty, they offered to put a booster on our home which helped a lot. They have always been very responsive and good to work with.

COLLEEN STARKE Lithonia, GA

VERIZON WIRELESS HAS ALWAYS BEEN DEPENDABLE FOR ME. I CAN COUNT ON THEM TO SOLVE MY PHONE PROBLEMS WHEN THEY ARISE AND OF COURSE I GET THE BEST SERVICE THROUGH VERIZON. I DO HAVE OTHER CELL PHONE CARRIERS AND MY VERIZON HARDLY EVER GIVES ME BAD SERVICE NO MATTER WHERE I AM.

William Koryciak Clarkston, MI

I’ve always liked the service and the selection. Shuffle years ago I was at the Statue of Liberty in New York, when the Park service began evacuating us from the island. Everybody was beating their telephones trying to get them to work! I picked up my Verizon flip phone, and saw that I had five bars, so I called my aunt and Clint Michigan and asked her what was going on. Well it appeared at that point in time that most of the eastern seaboard was blacked out and Verizon was the only satyrs company that was operational at that time!

Angela Ward Chicago, IL

Outstanding customer service. Patient, knowledgeable and tolerant for those of us who are not tech savvy. The Sales Rep stayed with me until the very end, to make sure that my transaction for an phone upgrade, and the the purchase was completed. Although there was a "systems glitch", the Agent knew how to over ride it so that our transaction would be completed with success. She never gave up. Verizon's customer service is the best!

Lesa Burgess Pleasant Grove, UT

I've been a Verizon account holder for my cell phone for almost 10 years now. I am on a family plan that has unlimited data, talking & texting. I love the customer service at retail stores in my area here in Utah. They are very helpful & knowledgeable in their dealings with me, the account holder. My daughters phone was not working properly and when we took it into the retail store, they explained some options & have the best thing for me to do with my daughters phone. After sending the phone in because of the Verizon protection service I have, I received a new refurbished phone with in 48 hours.

Jjones Atkinson, NH

The service is the best I’ve had. I’ve never had a problem with customer service.

Samf Tampa, FL

Switched from Sprint to Verizon In Florida and have 5g service. I am very happy with the coverage and service.

Stacy Carter Red Cliff, CO

I've had great experience with Verizon. They seem to be one of the few companies left that has their customer service in the USA.

harry vince Lahore, PB

It's one of the best mobile company in the USA . Its Features are amazing. very easy to use. I am using it for a very long time.It's highly recommended

Marissa Mitchell Hobbs, NM

I have been with Verizon for over 17 years and have never had an issue with service in very remote areas. I have always had excellent customer service throughout all the years of random issues one would encounter!

Mike Ashurst, Sr Prattville, AL

Price is somewhat on the high side but the service coverage is outstanding. 5G rollout is kind of slow but it's coming! Switched from T-Mobile to Verizon some five or six years ago.

Dale L Davis

Easy to work with plans to fit everybody

Cruz Jimenez San Antonio, TX

I am always late paying my bill and have never had my service disconnected. I completely understand the multiple messages they send me that my payment is late. Coverage is fantastic on the many long stretches of open highway in Texas.

Diane Dieter Allentown, PA

I am a loyal Verizon Customer. I am a senior citizen and receive a discount. I have never had a problem with the service. If there are any questions, Verizon always takes time to answer them. They have very knowledgeable people in their stores. Thank you Verizon, Diane Dieter

Heidi V Las Vegas, NV

I've been with Verizon for at least 20+ years. Other offers can look enticing but the amount of dropped calls or minimal coverage areas or poor reception is not worth making a change. As a professional, I need dependable service and that's Verizon.

Razel Levine Puyallup, WA

This review is in praise of the employee, Christian, who helped me at the Verizon store in Sumner, WA on August 27th. He was cheerful, polite, and very knowledgeable. He quickly and easily fixed my Moto phone problem, which I very much appreciated. Update: needed to get phone looked at again on August 28th, and different employees insisted I wear a mask (which is unhealthy for me). I told them I couldn't, and they said they wouldn't help me, company orders. I left.

Karen Jorgensen Washington, UT

We've had Verizon for over 10 years now and they have always been very helpful and knowledgeable and reliable. We can have a team member help us in person at any time, upgrade our phones, give us info on new phone, pros and cons, and help us get the most for our money. I appreciate that they are considerate of the fact that we work hard for our money and don't want to waste it. We are never without service and it's a comfort knowing we will have service no matter where we go.

Whitney Stanko Smithfield, UT

I absolutely love Verizon! Great coverage everywhere I went. Never had a problem with my phone service. Whenever I went in they were always willing to help me as much as they could without my mothers pin to access account. Sad when I had to switch carriers because my self was broke and I had to find something cheaper that only I could afford when not being on a family plan.

Miguel Figueroa Provo, UT

Can be more expensive than some of the competitors, but in my opinion, you get what you pay for. I’ve had my service go out twice, once in the middle of nowhere in a hike and again in drive between Cali and Utah. I’ve done that drive several times since then and haven’t lost service again. Great speeds everywhere we go, which is are the two things that matter to me as I travel with my wife. You should never have to worry about your cellphone service, and that’s what I get with Verizon.

Diana vaiano West Babylon, NY

Well I like Verzion been with them a very long time today I called to apply for 55 older discount which they said I was approved then I get an email stating that 55 older is only applied in other regions than NY well I hit the ceiling finally spoke to manger he said the same thing but he was able to lower my plan by switching my plan so my bill was reduced by $30 so therefore I’m still a happy customer I was almost ready to change carriers but now I’m happy again thx Dianav

IDA MCDAVITT FRESSILLI

I switched to Verizon mainly for the coverage. I am in real estate, so I need to know that I have a reliable phone. Customer service has always been helpful. We also have our internet service with Verizon. We have unlimited service, but once a certain amount is used, we go into slow mode. When that happens, I try to do most of my internet work during non prime times. We are fortunate to have a Verizon store close to where we live. They are always helpful.

Anne Kimball Salt Lake City, UT

Their cell service is almost always available when others aren't. They are just unbeatable in that regard. They are a little on the pricier end as far as cell phone companies go, but the reception is superior in my experience. I had to cancel my service because I was switching on to my husband's family plan, and when I cancelled it was actually super easy. I waited until I had paid off my phone and then they didn't charge me anything to cancel.

Bruce Fischler Pompano Beach, FL

I was with Nextel/Sprint almost 30 years. Enough. I went to the Verizon store in Pompano Beach Florida and spent quality time with Will. I traded in 2 Note 5s and got a S9 and S9+. Everything is perfect. I even had the pleasure of speaking to a tower 2 rep who got everything explained to me. Nothing but codis to all. Great phones. Great service (unlike my previous carrier), and the store around the corner. Go Verizon.