Best Company Guarantee Verizon Logo

Verizon

9.0

LAST UPDATED: December 1st, 2021

Verizon Wireless is the largest service provider of wireless telecommunications in the United States with over 150 million subscribers nationwide. In business since 2000, the company was originally a merger of Bell Atlantic and GTE, and over the last several years it has picked up several smaller regional carriers to build the largest wireless network in the United States.

Verizon has a wide variety of products and services to offer customers, including wireless phone service, basic phones, smartphones, tablets, wireless Internet, cloud storage for photos, videos, and other media. Verizon is one of the few companies that allows customers to integrate their Internet devices and cloud media.

Regarding Verizon's quality as a cell phone provider, there are several pros and cons worthy of consideration in addition to the 700+ Verizon reviews below.

The Good

• Devices Available
  • Plans Offered
  • Top Features
  • Smart Family
  • Deals

Devices Available

Verizon has the best selection of phones, including all of the latest Android and Apple devices, including ASUS, Google, LG, Motorola, Palm, Apple, and Samsung brands. Notable recent models include:

• Apple iPhone Xs
  • Apple iPhone Xs Max
  • Apple iPhone Xr
  • Samsung Galaxy S10
  • Samsung Galaxy S10 plus
  • Samsung Galaxy S10e
  • Samsung Galaxy Note9
  • Google Pixel 4

Customers also have the option of device trade-ins or bringing their current phone. In fact, when you switch to Verizon with your current phone, you get a $250 PrePaid Mastercard in addition to a free SIM card when you order one online and pick it up in the store.

In addition, the Verizon store has basic phones (Kyocera, LG, and Sonim brands), certified pre-owned phones, pre-paid phones, and phone accessories like the Apple watch, other wearable tech, HD security cameras, voice-activated wireless speakers, and charging pads.

Plans Offered

Verizon offers a broad variety of plans in order to suit a range of customer needs. Plans include:

• Unlimited ($35-$60 per line per month with autopay)
  • Shared data plans ($35-$70 per month total for an individual or family)
  • Prepaid plans ($30+ per month)
  • International plans (options for travel, prepaid international services, or talk and text from the U.S.)
  • Connected device plans (for tablets, hotspots, and connected devices)
  • Single device plans (for basic phones requiring only talk and text, or a tablet or hotspot requiring minimal data)
  • Business plans for 5+ lines

Top Features

Verizon's premium plan, the AboveUnlimited plan, you pay $60/line per month plus taxes and fees, but you get several unique perks. Here's what you get:

• 75 GB data at 4G LTE speeds
  • Unlimited talk and text
  • HD-quality streaming (720p upload speeds)
  • Unlimited mobile hotspot (20 GB at 4G LTE)
  • Verizon Up Rewards
  • Talk, text, and data to Mexico and Canada
  • 5 TravelPasses per month to use in 185+ countries
  • 500 GB Verizon Cloud
  • Apple Music account

The GoUnlimited and BeyondUnlimited include some of the above features, (including some mobile hotspot data, limited-time Apple Music account, unlimited data, unlimited calls, and unlimited texting) but not all.

Smart Family

Verizon has an in-carrier parental control system that works with the Smart Family app, which costs $9.99/month after a 30-day trial. The app has content filters for apps and websites, location tracking, the ability to pause the internet, and contact blocking capabilities. If you don't want the location tracking feature, you only pay $4.99/month.

Deals

The carrier is continually providing promotional discounts for new phones and new customers but also consistently offers exclusive deals to military and veteran-status personnel, first responders (firefighters, police, EMS workers, retirees, and volunteers), and employees.

The Bad

• Customer Complaints
  • Pricing

Customer Complaints

Customer reviews give insight into some of the challenges customers can face despite the strengths of the provider. Some customers report that they did not like the original phone that they received and had to wait for an extended period of time to get a Verizon credit so that they could move over to a new device.

There are also customers who have experienced long wait times or failure to get their questions answered by tech support. In this case, the popularity of the carrier can be a detriment to the customer service experience.

Pricing

Verizon's reputation as the carrier with the best network coverage comes at a price. Prices for Verizon's unlimited plans start at $35/line per month and cost up to $60/line per month. Other carriers are generally more affordable. However, you usually get what you pay for.

Per Verizon's terms and conditions, if you cancel a line of service after 14 days of signing a contract, you must pay an early termination fee.

The Bottom Line

Verizon offers one of the most complete cell phone service packages available on the market, excellent network coverage, and it has strong overall customer reviews despite the occasional negative feedback.

Customers who decide to go with Verizon as their cell phone provider can expect the following:

• Extensive phone selection: Verizon has all phones in high demand and offers financing
  • Unlimited talk and text: this is standard with all packages
  • Unique perks: an Apple music account is included with the unlimited plans
  • Easy to expand service: add lines or set up a business account with ease
  • Billing features: customers can text in to inquire about their account usage status for that billing cycle
  • Parental controls: the Smart Family app gives parents phone monitoring tools

bestcompany guarantee

Learn More

4.0

John B Scottsdale, AZ

The actual phone service quality might be solid, but their call in support is TERRIBLE! I have had a Verizon corporate account for over 20 years and anything to do with their phone support has been bottom of the barrel. In store support is the way to go, when you can manage that. In the last 22 years, I have made one or two payment errors and they have ZERO cooperation for resolution. I was out of town and they actually (supposedly) terminated service on our lines. After paying with a credit card immediately, to regain service, they charged an additional $208.00 to "reconnect" the service on our 8 phone lines. I have been on hold for 45 minutes now to speak with a representative. I wont bore you with the rest of the details. This is NOT how I treat any of my customers. Big time FAIL!

Dale Dunfield Rockville, CT

After being a longtime Verizon customer (including all the former companies that ultimately became Verizon), I made the mistake of changing to a different company. It took me less than one week to realize my error. On 11/16/2021, I went to Verizon, 90 Buckland Rd, South Windsor CT. I met Candice, a Verizon specialist, who proceeded to spend almost two hours to return the excellent service I once had with Verizon. She helped me with a new plan, a new phone and best of all captured my original Verizon cell phone number. I can't say enough about her. What a stellar Verizon employee !!

Kaylee Gay Chicago, IL

I love how much coverage Verizon provides as well as the flexibility in plans and customizable family options. They make it so easy to find the perfect plan for you. I felt like Verizon covered a wide range of areas to where I was still reaching coverage on top of one of the Rocky Mountains. I also love Verizon's warranty protection and customer service. Their employees are always so ready to help you and they definitely take care of their customers. I don't see me switching anytime soon!

Mamie S Atlanta, GA

Don't ever buy a phone from Verizon. I just bought a phone a week ago bc my old one (only a year old) kept looping and would not charge or turn on. When I bought the phone, I asked if I was locked into their service or anything, and the employee (kind of new) said no, they don't do that anymore. I explained that my dad retired and was cancelling our family plan, so I would have to switch services soon, as well. I was not told about any 60 day lock policy on new phones. I paid for my phone in FULL PRICE. Yesterday morning, I finally started to set up my new Mint Mobile service, put in the SIM card... and found out the phone was locked into Verizon. I couldn't (and have not been able to since then) make/receive calls or texts. Ugh--I waited on the phone for 30 min, then gave up and went in the store and then spent another 30-45 min on the phone. Finally, someone sent in an unlock appeal... I waited 24 hours--all the find out this morning that the appeal was denied! I have not been able to use my phone, and I spent $400 and so much of my time (buying the phone and trying to unlock it) on this. :( Verizon is a big company with all the power, and all they are interested in is power and control. I can't believe that I paid for my phone in full, and I can't even use it, and they are not helping me. I feel powerless as a customer and consumer. I just know that I am NEVER buying a phone from Verizon again, and I will think long and hard before ever using them as my service provider again.

Suzie DeKerlegand Lynnwood, WA

I have been a Verizon Wireless customer for over 15 years. I was switching to T-Mobile because they had a very good sounding offer. T-Mobile was one of the worse business experiences I've had in my 50+ years!! Moral of the story; You get what you pay for!! Verizon might be more expensive, but their customer service has always been honest, my calls don't drop and T-Mobile when transferring me to a manager - hung up on me. Verizon has never blatantly hung up on me. Stick with Verizon people!!

Chris Raum Goose Creek, SC

I have never had any issues with Verizon after using them for several years. I only use their mobile service/data and have been able to handle most everything over the browser with ease, so have had little experience with their customer service. The service has always been excellent, and while there are occasional dead zones, it is by far the most reliable carrier I have used. My wife uses another carrier, and she often loses service and data while I do not, and it is very rare that the opposite happens, but this is likely affected by location, so you're mileage may vary.

Pseudo Nym Henrico, VA

Customer service is honestly the worst I've ever received from any company other than Microsoft. It is maddening just trying to get someone on the phone as they constantly push you to their online chat which is barely functional and constantly disconnects. If you do get through, they can only answer simple questions and lack any competence regarding the products and services offered by Verizon. Even worse they will outright lie to you because they assume you don't know any better.

Jeff Schneberg Naperville, IL

I have been with Verizon for many years, but now checking into other carriers. They once had good service; however, the service has gotten progressively worse over the last few years. It is now so bad that they don't even bother to try to help, all they try is to sell more products. Verision has gone from the top to where they are now at the slimmy bottom.

Michael Carroll Walton, NY

Horrid company one agent will tell you one thing another something totally different. The chat agents have zero power, and don’t do anything. They are all fine getting you phones of sales, but as soon as troubles come up like rebates, and their gift cards you are out of luck. I came from T-Mobile which does have worse service, but their customer service makes Verizon’s look like drugged out junkies. I had Verizon twice now, once was before unlimited plans, I had 30 gbs and I was fine with it, they tricked me into going unlimited, assured me it really was, than banned my USB modem and hot spot, and expected me to keep paying them for them. I had satellite at the time, and canceled that due too thinking Verizon wasn’t shady. This second time I ordered 4000 worth of phones, because they told me if I switched from T-Mobile they would give me gift cards of 500. Than they told me I missed the 1000 dollar gift cards by a day. The second person on the phone when I ported told me i would get it, the third on the phone tired to scam me into trading in devices, and told me there was no gift cards. The 4th after I told them to cancel my account tried to scam me into thinking their were gift cards again, I don’t how you guys tolerate this level of shady people. If you do business with these scum make sure you can take a hit to your score, if you already have good credit I don’t know why you would buy a phone from these people, when you can buy unlocked and switch when ever, or use straight talk on Verizon for a fraction of the price. Verizon customers and sales remind me of a brainwashed cult. They even say garbage like welcome to the family. These people are sick.

Trenton Carlson Philadelphia, PA

I have been a verizon customer from when it was still Bell Atlantic. I have had many years of good reliable service. I think the were the best for cell phone carrier for most of that time. Over the past year they have gone so far down hill. I completely lose data all the time I lose me phone completely and get a message that I can only make emergency calls. Now they have shut off hot spots built in phones. So my plan was for unlimited everything including my hot spot and without notice it is just eliminated. Customer service is impossible to get a hold of. Now they try to send customer service and tech support calls to a text bot that normally does not work. I can't imagine they will stay in business much longer like this. I am going to switch. No other service could possibly be worst.

Bob Weir Cañon City, CO

promised 900 dollars in rebates that i never received. Would not have bought the phones for full prices feel ripped off, UPDATE verizon did a 180 and issued my credit

Mike Schader Anchorage, AK

Verizon coverage was getting sketchy and I signed up with another carrier. Called Verizon and told them I was dropping/cancelling my account with them immediately and to send me a final bill. Paid the bill in full when it came. Got another bill from them and paid it in full again figuring maybe there were residual charges after canceling. Called Verizon again to verify I canceled/was canceling account. Note: I did not owe any money for a phone or anything. Apparently Verizon will not let you go as they continued to bill me, even after notifying me that they were disconnecting me for not paying any more bills. All this time I was using a different carrier. I am a little stubborn when it comes to extortion. They turned me over to a collection agency and of course this affected my credit rating. Some online research reveals this to normal practice for Verizon. Prologue: After a long time I get notices from that they "want me back"! It will be a cold day in (an evil place) before I ever deal or recommend Verizon.

Robert W Eighmy Henderson, NV

I have been with Verizon for over 20 years and have always had reliable service with competent help when needed. I have 6 phones on the service and have no plans to change.

Elizabeth Schleisman NC

I started using this service about 6 months ago. Compared to my previous service, I'm paying 3 times more $$, which is absolutely redic. I changed to Verizon due to needed USA wide coverage due to traveling. If I didn't have to travel, I would definitely change to another service due to the cost being so high.

Lorie Valrico, FL

I have always had good reception with Verizon and not so much with some other companies from what my friends tell me. I probably could get a cheaper plan, but I stay with them for their dependability.

Lenora Francis Brookline, MA

Verizon, is the best company to have a cell phone account with. There are no dropped calls ever, as that only happens from other cellular phones if that person doesn’t have Verizon at the other end who you are speaking to.

LP ID Rexburg, ID

YES, they are more expensive, but they have the best coverage in rural America. Living in places like Montana and Idaho, you have to pay more to get better coverage. If that wasn't an issue, I would go with a different company.

Pauline Abernathy Tucker, GA

They provide the wifi in my car and on a tablet. I have only had to call with an inquiry 3 times in the last two years! I absolutely love how they handle all my calls with complete confidence.

Stephen Foltz Gresham, OR

Excellent cell phone coverage, good customer communication, and support services are very good. However, theyhave tended to change pricing plans toward families to the extent that single user plans do not qualigy for better pricing. Data plans start too high for someone like myself, who uses WiFi for most of my data streaming. I rarely need or use more than 2 GB per months.

Yael Fort Myers, FL

I have been a paying customer with Verizon for years now and hands down they have the best service, phone selections and customer service on the planet. They offer great deals and pricing weekly, my military discount saves me hundreds monthly and much much more! I will never switch again to another cell phone carrier as they have my back always!

J.A. Fort Lauderdale, FL

Service- PERFECTION Price- INSANE I have had LEGIT $750+ bills EVERY month since COVID-19. NO assistance, No break- just "Pay it or lose your service". I pay it, and I cannot wait to get out of it in March! They late fee everything. They credited my account almost $500 the first outrageous bill... Then it got taken back. CLEARED with NO EXISTANCE! Customer Service is A JOKE! In-Stores are mainly NOT CORPORATE so they cannot pull up this information and CORPORATE stores managers do not even know what to say. They shut phone off twice in one month after they took away the credit. AND CHARGED ME $60 TWICW that month for doing it. THIS IS FOR 3 LINES. IPHONE 11 PRO MAX IPHONE 11 PRO BS MIFI that I got scammed into buying without them mentioning a monthly contracted service fee for the service on it.

Ann Horst San Antonio, TX

I absolutely love my Prepaid Verizon Cell phone service. After three months they brought the price down $5 per month which is so helpful. And it's still coming down. And one month, I ran out of data because I forgot to use wifi, and I was able to just add $10 worth of data super easily. Love my plan. I don't want to leave them even if I find it cheaper elsewhere because it's Verizon and I trust their service.

Jay La Marque, TX

After being a customer for 6 years I started to notice other cell service companies on commercials advertising less than have as much as Verizon did. Customer service or rather attempting to contact them is always difficult and nothing ever gets resolved. I'd never recommend Verizon to anyone because that do with slot of companies do it's all sunshine and promises until they get you on the hook then they are very difficult to deal with

life is amazing West Valley City, UT

If I could give them -10 stars I would. I know this review won’t make a difference cuz I haven’t seen a single response from Verizon. But I traded in my brand new iPhone 11 for the iPhone 12 and switched from t-mobile. I was supposed to get 700$ off the 12 but they are charging me for buying the 12 without giving them a brand new iPhone. They said that the equipment was included but apparently they charged $500 for that too. I switched from t mobile for this. The coverage is a little bit better, but not worth a brand new iPhone 11 just given away. I’m so close to switching back to t-mobile.

Art Reno, NV

I was with AT&T with a family plan. Verizon was more expensive - $40 per month - but had better coverage. Our 3 phones on AT&T on two different time lines. When we moved to Verizon, I wanted to consolidate the time. In the store, the Verizon rep assured me I could bring over the third phone 3months later and add it to the plan and all 3 would be on the same time line. My wife and daughter got new phones from Verizon - the exact same phone. My wife's had no problems, but daughters kept dropping calls. We went to the store and they said the phone needed a software update, which they did right there. We returned two more times, but the problem persisted. On the fourth visit, I insisted on a replacement. The rep said it was over 90 days and we would have to pay for the replacement. - $250. I pointed out we had been in there 3 times within the 90 days to fix it, but Verizon claimed they had no record of that. I had to pay because the early termination fee was outrageous. When the contract expired after two years, I jumped back to AT&T. Three months later, I received a $750 bill for the third phone early termination. Hello! All three phones were on the same contract and I paid cash up front for the third phone, no time payments. I, of course refused to pay it, and Verizon dinged my credit. I had to write a rebuttal to restore my credit. Fortunately, I had receipts, but I will never do business with Verizon again and I recommend against them every chance I get.

Ike Ballard Des Moines, IA

The service was pretty good. I would probably rate this service with 4 or 5 stars if it weren't for the process of changing to a new service for work. They require a transfer PIN (no other major carrier does). An automated Transfer PIN request generates a link to a website, which displays an attractive two lines of error code. The Customer Service line puts you on hold to speak to a representative, offers to help you 'skip the line' by chatting with a robot that doesn't know anything, and hangs up if you do anything but initiate the pointless chat. In short, there is no path to talking to a Service Representative. They may not even staff them. Both I and the T-mobile rep in their store were at a loss about what to do to get around Verizon's straight incompetency in customer service. Having worked an IT job for five years, I can say with decent authority that Verizon is a load of hogwash.

K. Mcintyre Riverview, FL

Cell service has always been excellent compared to the service that friends and family have received from other carriers when compared at the same locations.

Shane Salrin

Really nothing to compare it to but land line. Never had a reception problem. But I do believe they really aren't interested in business. I get better responses from individual owned Verizon stores than Verizon owned stores. This has not always been the case. You can sit forever to buy a new phone. People do like to shop in person and when you set up a shop for that purpose, then you should make it the best available. Online help not bad. I like the app and the freezer kickbacks jeeps my daughter drowning in Starbucks. So three stars because the brick and mortar sucks.

Susan Taylor Milwaukee, WI

I have been a Verizon customer for years! They have the best customer service and network! We never have”dropped calls” and have never Ben without a signal! If your on the fence, jump in with both feet!

D Stephen Bothell, WA

The worst, scum bags wont ever let you reach a supervisor. they billed for months after my account was closed and now are impossible. You simply must take them to court.

Blaine Stiegelmeyer Virginia Beach, VA

Verizon has been my choice in cell phone companies for many years. I have been able to get service in many areas my friends, who have other services, have not. Whenever l have had a problem they have been able to fix it quickly, many times at no cost.

Sara Schroeder Warren, MI

I've been with Verizon ever since I got my first cell phone and phone number 20 years ago. If there is ever an issue or if I have a question about new plans or products, I always receive the best service over the phone or in the store. Thank you Verizon!

Andrea Thomas Bellevue, WA

I don’t know why I left Verizon for the 7 years because the 12 years of being with them and now being back for under a year, I LOVE their customer service, their services are always working, and I’m happy. I won’t ever leave them again, even for a super big deal. I highly recommend Verizon.

Lisa C Smyrna, DE

Pricey; but, the best service ever. No dropped calls and I've had cell service since it was Bell Atlantic. When cell phones were out during 9-11, Verizon was working, I even allowed people to call their landlines from my cell to let their families know they we ok.

Esther Haynie Dallas, TX

When I had Verizon a few years ago and traveled from TX to NY I was the only one of my friends that did not hit any dead spots while everyone with different carriers other than Verizon did. This is not true now. I left Verizon for a while due to price hike and then my daughter offered to put me on her plan to save money. Overall disappointed in current service due to dead spots and internet and maps not working unless I connect to cellular data.

KimDugan Kailua, HI

Their customer service is efficient and when you call for help, they typically route you to a local branch. This means you will not have to deal with foreign call centers and issue with lack of internet resources on the other end. Additionally, many functions for billing and parental controls are available in-app. My only critique here is that the security measures can be a bit of a pain if you have a family plan and some members are temporarily or long-term located away from whoever started the account. There is limited access for other members of the family plan and this can complicate things like changing your part of the plan, a device, or running an upgrade. Aside from that, I have had only positive experiences with Verizon!

Penny Jackson, TN

Jz! Where do I even start with the goodness of Verizon! I have been a customer for over 10 years and I don't have anything bad to say about this phone company. I keep saving money every month with Verizon and even better is their visa card. I get cash back from using the visa card for purchases, plus many other discounts offered by Verizon. In fact, with all the discounts and rewards sometimes I pay less than $50 for my monthly bill. I recommended Verizon to friends and family and they are also enjoying the services.

Dennis K Spokane, WA

Verizon has been and still is the elite cell phone provider, there is no question about that, excellent service, customer service, broadband speed, and selection of phones/tablets for sale, that’s why they are also the elite when it comes to the price of monthly service . What you pay is what you get though, however I think that I can get great cell phone service around my city as well for much less then what it costs with Verizon.

Tracey Robinson Capitol Heights, MD

I got Verizon 7/4 for my business and I have ha bad service and bad customer service and I can’t do business with this poor service and Verizon doesn’t care🤬when I’m on a call the person can’t hear me and if I’m trying to look at a app the internet doesn’t work and I’ve been to the store several times and have called and that’s just some of my issues 👎🏼 Please don’t waste your time or money because it’s not worth it💔

Richard Kellogg Kirkland, WA

Best coverage in a difficult area. They sent me a booster at no cost to improve my signal. Neighbors have other providers and very poor service.

Queen Smyrna, GA

I have been a customer for many years and used Verizon even when overseas. They offered a great international plan when I traveled so I would not have a huge phone bill.

HC Brana Sanford, FL

I would give it a 5 star if it would not be so expensive. We are 5 lines and their prices were almost double of t mobil and the rest. Their service was great while we had them.

Emma Reading, PA

I've been with Verizon about 20 yrs. I have never received good service from them. The customer support is a major hassle to contact. I could call them today with an issue, and I would get an answer however true or false. I could call tomorrow and ask the same question, have the same issue, to the same department and get a different answer, non of which I found to be helpful. I think the appearance of their customer service located at malls is deplorable and so is the behavior. So one might ask, why do you stay with them so long. I stay with them because I've been with them for so long, I'm too lazy to change, but eventually something will not set right with me and I will walk away as quickly as I signed up with them.

John Bell Danville, KY

exceptional coverage throughout the country, and most foreign countries I have visited. Have remined consistent with my pricing, a little higher that others, but I feel i have better coverage than with other companies.

K.M. P. Charlotte, NC

They were expensive & really restrictive when it came to phones that you could use. I felt like by the time you paid off your phone, it would need to be replaced or wouldn't work properly. Didn't feel like I got good service & it would always take forever to get help at the storefront.

Andrea Wheaton, IL

I recently switched to Verizon because their rates are finally more competitive! Shocking really since they are often the most expensive. The service has been fantastic. I no longer have dropped calls and the 5G is AMAZING. Its faster than the wifi at my work. I'm a huge fan of Verizon these days!

Arden Lincoln, NE

Pretty fast and pretty reliable. My call quality is usually good, even traveling and out in rural areas. The rural coverage isn't as comprehensive as it is for some other carriers, but Verizon also won't try to put a stranglehold on your wallet like AT&T so I can't complain too much. Also seems to be a good choice for lots of lines. My dad carries my aunt on our plan because she struggles to afford it, and we all have unlimited data.

pencraftco Portland, OR

Reliable. On the few occasions I have had an issue, the customer service reps are knowledgeable and helpful. I have never had a coverage issue. It has been easy to sign up for travel plans when I have gone overseas. No complaints from me!

Ahmed Brooklyn, NY

Best company in NYC and probably all over the USA I’ve been to Florida, New Jersey , Virginia , North Carolina and upstate New York and virtually always have been able to have a great signal and clear reception on the phone. Great deals with the unlimited plans. Highly recommended.

Donna G Schultz Grove, OK

Great phone company in our rural area. They are the only mobile phone that will work in our area. They're reasonably priced and their equipment is quality. They're always ready to help you if you have a problem whether it's by phone, Chat or if you walk into their store.