T-Mobile

T-Mobile

T-Mobile is located in Bellevue, WA. It is the United States-based operating arm of T-Mobile International AG, providing wireless voice & messaging services and data services. The company operates some of the largest networks in the United States, with a market of over 45 million customers and over $20 billion in revenues every year. Its network reaches 96 percent of all Americans. Also, JD Power and Associates has ranked T-Mobile as being outstanding in customer satisfaction four years consecutively, as well as giving T-Mobile superior marks for customer care for two years in a row. T-Mobile was founded in 1991 and as of 2013 has been traded publicly on the New York stock exchange.

The Good

• Great services and plans
  • Phone financing options
  • Great customer service

A majority of customers appreciate the simplicity of T-Mobile's services and plans. There are ten up-to-date phones to choose from, and clients can also chose from previously owned phones that are certified. This means that the phone is in perfect working order and will last a long time for a new customer.

T-Mobile has two straight forward and easy-to-use plans that do not involve a contract. The customer can either pay for their services in advance or they can pay as they go. This makes the credit check nightmare of a contract plan obsolete.

There are some credit-based possibilities for covering the price of a new phone. If a
customer cannot afford one of the more expensive phones up front but can pass a credit check, they can pay for the phone in installments. If a customer, under this agreement, decides that they no longer want service through T-Mobile, they are responsible for the remaining balance on the phone.

T-Mobile for the past four years have been the best customer service provider within the cellular industry with JD Power and Associates. They are also recognized for their outstanding care in the customer care category.

thumbnail

T-Mobile is also known for their reasonable prices. Their service, while not a contract phone, offers similar data plans that are more affordable than similar plans with other contract providers. Customers are never charged overage fees because they simply cannot use their data after they have reached their monthly quota.

With most no-contract carriers, there is no unlimited data pricing paradigms in their data plans with the exception of T-Mobile. Also, the unlimited data plan from T-Mobile was significantly cheaper than the 100 GB plans offered through US Cellular and Verizon. Current customers have experienced instances though where T-Mobile has throttled back the speed, but it happens rarely.

T-Mobile also has extensive international service. In fact, they were one of the few wireless providers that included international data and texting at no additional cost, a far cry from many of the contract providers operating in the industry.

Customers can access their account easily, speak with an online customer care representative, or use their text messaging to monitor their monthly service as well.

The Bad

• Limited phone options
  • Phones are expensive
  • Equipment installment program

Even with the strong selling points, there are limitations to the T-Mobile service. For example, they do not offer a wide range of phones to their customer base. The phones available from T-Mobile only include a few of the most popular brands. Particularly lacking was the Windows phone. T-Mobile, at this time, only offers one Windows phone. There are no BlackBerry phones. While BlackBerry is no longer a popular phone operating system, some clients prefer it for business email, voice, and data.

Another absent service from T-Mobile is a pricing paradigm that reduced the overall price of the phone. T-Mobile phones are expensive. There are no incentives for T-Mobile customers to purchase a particular phone. It is also hard to add multiple phones to the family plans if you cannot pass a credit check. Other companies had more phones to choose from, especially more lower-end phones. It makes it expensive to get started with T-Mobile.

Something else to point out is the policy regarding the Equipment Installment Program. If a customer chooses to discontinue their service with T-Mobile, they are responsible for the remaining cost of the phone if it was purchased under and Equipment Installment Program. In some ways, this is a force tactic to keep customers on T-Mobile's service without forcing a contract.

Current customers have also expressed a pattern of certain complaints. Some had experiences where they purchased a phone, soon to be discontinued, and it became obsolete after a major manufacturer rolled out a new product. Others have expressed that there is a lack of other wireless services and accessories. With other contract and no-contract providers, customers were often able to find wireless modems for installation on a laptop or computer. With T-Mobile, customers can only use tablets with data capability that can be converted into a hot spot. These maxed out at 11 GB of data per month, and would not easily suit the needs of a customer who got online frequently using their tablet as a hot spot for a laptop computer or other device.

The Bottom Line

T-Mobile is a strong carrier for those hoping to avoid long-term contracts or hidden fees. T-Mobile is known for their lower prices, no overage fees, and other controls in place that keep the cost simple for the customer. Prospective customers can expect the following with T-Mobile:

• Straight forward plans
  • No long-term contracts
  • Limited device selection
  • Unlimited features
  • Installment programs

55 T-Mobile Reviews

1. Select Your Rating:

2. Subject For This Review * (Select all that apply)

0 characters

3. Review Validation*

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Next Step: Verify your email

We have sent a verification email to the following email address:

June 13th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I have been using T Mobile for a couple of years now. Their cellular service is great and their cost is affordable. I'm not a fan of their customer service. When I go to the local store the employees there are not as helpful as they should be.

June 12th, 2017 Orem, UT

not the greatest coverage but good value for the money, only real problem for me was hard sell i really over spent and the insurance definitely did not pay off

May 31st, 2017

T-Mobile has been incredible , fast and friendly to resolve all my issues and resolutions were beyond expectations

May 31st, 2017

They have always been helpful to me since I joined them a couple years ago. I would share their business to anyone I meet when they need a reliable mobile phone carrier.

May 26th, 2017 Memphis, TN

Customer Service folks are second to none. Great people. 10/10. Service for me and my family has been great. 9/10. Website is ridiculous. Does not show a breakdown of credits/payments/charges that happen mid-cycle, you have to wait until next bill to see them. 1/10. Once that happens, you have to contact support and start all over again. 0/10. 2 months of bills so far and not one of them has been right - sure, they correct them with credits, but that's time I have to spend chatting/tweeting/etc to get it right. I should be able to bill them an hourly rate for my time to apply against my bill.

May 26th, 2017

I liked my service plan with T mobile, but I switched carriers because I could get a better phone and monthly payment plan with a different carrier. They changed their plans after I had allready switched. I had good coverage on T-mobile.

May 24th, 2017

Thank you for making me feel like we have always been family. John Legere the CEO of T-Mobile has inspired me more than he knows. At a very dark time in my life just recently John's videos and tweets helped bring me back to life you could say. I'm playing guitar more than ever now after stopping for many years due to some challenges during my military service and after I got out. John retweeted a guitar video I sent him live on Twitter using #tweetjohn that boosted my spirits and I've learned to strengthen my faith and this might sound weird but all I want to do is help anyone I can. There is good in everyone and sometimes when people are doing bad all it takes is one person to reach out, hey or how are you? Even smiling at someone could change someone's day or life. You never know. T-Mobile is dedicated not because they feel obligated but because they care in truly addressing your needs and concerns and doing everything it takes to not only fix the problem, but also makes sure you are satisfied with everything before finishing the Call! #TeamMagenta

May 24th, 2017 Casselton, ND

Always quick to respond, courteous, empathetic, and very knowledgeable! GREAT service!

May 8th, 2017

TOTAL LIARS!!!!! NOTHING PROMISED WAS DELIVERED!!!!!!

October 13th, 2016

Their website and customer service are terrible. I was trying to sign up for the $3/month minimum service, automatically renewed monthly. The website begins by blocking the page with a large window for feedback; but it's blocking the page that would allow you to do anything. Then I couldn't get the website to change from a $25/month plan to the $3/month plan, so I called customer service, which is an infuriating robot which doesn't answer any questions. Finally I got a human being, but she gave me what seemed to be inaccurate information, saying that there is no such thing as a simple $3/month rate; rather, it is $15 + per month, even though the website says $3/month plus what appears to be a one-time opening fee of $10. The human was really no more responsive than the robot. All this took over an hour of frustrating time. Finally I went back to the website, where at least the $3 option had been entered. I chose that, but wonder what I will actually be charged. All this makes me hate them - when a small amount of care in constructing their website and phone service could have made this easy and non-hatred-inducing.

August 4th, 2016 Provo, UT

T-Mobile is great! The price has been pretty good over the years. The coverage hasn't always been the greatest, but it has improved over the last few years. T-Mobile also has features that no other carrier offers such as free music, video, and Pokemon-Go data. The T-Mobile Tuesdays app is also a great way to get free stuff. So far, I've been able to get a free movie ticket, a free frosty, a free pizza, and a $20 gift card to the MLB store. All of this just for being a customer. I don't think I'll be switching providers any time soon. Thanks T-Mobile!

June 12th, 2016 Brooklyn, NY

Have had T-Mobile for over 10 years with sporadic times using other carriers and T-Mobile is hands down the best. I currently have 4 lines all unlimited LTE and it's very fast. Speed test show 15-25mps for LTE and even when I use older 3G phone it's still 5 MPS. And they even gave me 7 GB hotspot per line. My bill is usually around $240 which is not bad. Customer service is not perfect but it's leaps and bounds above other carriers.

July 31st, 2015 Milwaukee, WI

Do you know that without MY consent, T mobile paid a bill with MY credit card for my cousin because we are on the same plan....... NOT OK!

July 29th, 2015 Houston, TX

I love the simplicity of T-mobile, although not perfect but always considerate and reasonable with their pricing policy.

July 28th, 2015 Covington, GA

terrible coverage area and lied to me about data usage. There are lots better options

July 28th, 2015 Amherst, OH

Recently purchased 3 LG G4 phones for me and my family while upgrading services. The help we received at the store was great. Saved us money on our rate plan while getting an upgrade. Also, was able to get all 3 phones for 0 money down!!!!! T-Mobile.....setting the standard for cell phone providers everywhere!!!1

July 28th, 2015 Littleton, CO

I have been with TMobile for almost 11 years. Their coverage isn't the greatest but I only travel a few times per year and generally it's to major markets or overseas where my cellphone wouldn't be working anyway so I was willing to live with that. Recently I had an experience at a store that is making me shop around. My Iphone stopped working. I PAY for an extended warranty for full replacement but they wouldn't give me a phone they said they had to have one shipped. I was ok with that because it was going to be overnighted. Two days later the phone didn't come so I called the store to find out what was going on. I was told they couldn't tell me anything over the phone, I had to come in or call the 800 number. The 800 number said they couldn't accept my call at that time so to call a retail store. I'm not sure if it was because I was calling from Skype because I had no phone. So I call the store back and the person on the other end named Jordan literally hangs up on me. So I drive all the way down to the store and Jeremy says "its in procesing" and walks away from me. What does that mean? He says "that it hasn't shipped yet" I ask him why and he rudely says "I have no idea, I can have the manager call you" Call me on WHAT? I have NO PHONE!! So he begrudgingly hands me the store phone so that I can call the 800 number and I find out that the phone is back ordered. The manager on the phone asks to speak to the store associate so I tell Jeremy that the manager wants to speak to him to find out the number of their store. He throws the phone down on the counter and writes it on a post it note and refuses to pick up the phone. I have never been treated that rudely especially not where I have been a ten year customer. There are better companies out there and don't buy a warranty because it's only honored at their convenience.

July 28th, 2015 Louisville, KY

My experience with T-Mobile was poor. I didn't have signal outside of the city limits, bill was very high, and when I decided to leave. My last bill was automatically sent to collections? "I have to admit!" This left a sour taste in my mouth and probably will not go back!

July 25th, 2015 Rosemead, CA

5 bars. 72Mbps download & 27Mbps upload with 4LGTE. Jump plan for only $2 more than standard insurance. Small monthly payment if you want a flagship phone. I add $20 to my bill for unlimited 4LGTE service as I burn through 14-20 GB data every month. Sure, I'm not paying $30-50 a month for service. But to get my features on your carrier you'll be spending just as much if not more.

July 24th, 2015 Worcester, MA

very good not a problem yet