Square Logo
LAST UPDATED: October 29th, 2021
Square is located in San Francisco, California. Square thinks everyone should be able to start and run a business, so they build tools to make that possible. The simple design of their reader and app have made them a popular company. Square lets customers sign up in minutes. They let businesses accept every major card for the same rate. In addition, they have used their popularity to help in the fight against aids. 97.25% of the $10 donation amount that is used to buy a SQUA(RED) Reader goes to the Global Fund to fight AIDS.

The Good

• User-Friendly
  • No Hidden Fees
  • Customer Support

User-Friendly

Simplicity would be the one word to describe what is best about Square. The simplicity of Square starts with their hardware. Square offers two readers, one that plugs into your smartphone for mag stripe cards, and a new reader (for chip cards and mobile payments) that connects via bluetooth and fits on your counter or in your pocket. Many customers enjoy the convenience of using the tiny reader, but some complain that the reader swivels when accepting payments. Additionally, their free software keep tracks of all your sales, lets you create reports, give employees customized permission levels for access, and sends you alerts when inventory gets low.

No Hidden Fees

The simplicity of square extends beyond the design of their reader to their fees. There are no monthly or startup fees. Square users only pay when they process a transaction and their fees are a standard fee for most mobile reader companies.

Customer Support

Square has a lot of different customer support options (phone, e-mail, Twitter, YouTube videos, and an online community). On the Square website, customers can give feedback and input about problems they think they've discovered. Square takes care of PCI compliance, a helpful advantage for businesses.  Square's security complies with industry standards, including advanced fraud detection and dispute assistance. They are committed to protecting your information and the information of your customers. Additionally, they offer $250 in chargeback protection per month for qualified charges.

The Bad

Phone Support

Square's phone support is fairly new and is still sub par. Before Square had their own phone support they resolved problems through e-mail and social media, which was frustrating for people unfamiliar with using those support channels. Now Square has their own phone support but there have been a lot of complaints about how long it takes to get a response from Square.

The Bottom Line

The simple design of Square and straightforward fees make it a popular product. Square may be a great fit for many customers, especially those who do not accept a high volume of credit card payments. However, their lack of a great phone support may be disadvantageous for businesses who accept larger quantities of credit card payments.

Luke Swierczynski Troy, MI

Love how simple they are when I go shopping at local fairs or road shows. Simple and quick, and once you use it with one vendor it remembers you and your preferences with others.

Cassidy Gundersen Orem, UT

Square is so easy and convenient! I use it for a lot of my business transactions. It is so nice to be able to take it on and off and utilize everything about the transactions in one app. It is customer friendly and their support team has always been easy to work with.

Lindsey American Fork, UT

I really like the interfacing of this product. I refer it over PayPal - but only if the customers have their credit or debit card available to swipe. I've used this a ton for my small business and would definitely recommend it.

Jaicee Roden Smithfield, UT

We use a Square for our concessions stand and gate fees at events. It is convenient for customers to be able to use a card especially since most people don't carry cash. It was particularly great during the COVID-19 pandemic when cash was eliminated due to spreading of germs. Using a square really created a way for us to continue to profit financially.

Jesse Rice Biloxi, MS

My wife and I are absolutely impressed with Square. We attended the greater Mobile Alabama Home and Garden shop and it allowed us to take payment for goods and services faster and easer than cash pay.

Tanner Cook Gilbert, AZ

As a personal trainer, the ability to take credit card payments on my phone has been vital for my success. Square allows me to collect payment easier for my clients, and it makes it very easy to track the income coming in.

Isabelle Hong Pleasant Grove, UT

My family uses square for our teriyaki chicken booth every year. It has always worked pretty well. Sometimes it gets a little glitchy, but with the new chip card readers it works better. It has great features to help keep track of employees' hours and what's been purchased. It's incredibly useful for small businesses.

Morgan Knight Salt Lake City, UT

Square has been so amazing for our small business! During the pandemic we have been able to ring up people more socially distant because of square! Super easy to use and a must for our buisness!

Mackenize Jorgensen Los Angeles, CA

We used Square for are volleyball program it was super easy and very efficient for so many people. It especially was helpful during the Covid-19 Pandemic because we didn't have to handle money or toach other people's card. It helped stop the spread of germs.

Taylor Larson Nakhon Sawan, 60

I love the Square credit card reader because it is simple and easy to use which makes the fees worth it.

Anne Sainsbury Salt Lake City, UT

I've used Square anytime I work with a small company! I love the small screen, and the receipt that is sent to my email (if I choose)!

Sicely Lyn Russell Mesa, AZ

My soda shop company used Square and I loved it. It was easy to use and it worked fast! It was easy to put items into categories.

frederick bennett jr Seattle, WA

I Can't tell you how frustrated I am with Square now! I own and run a jewelry shop across from Seattle Seahawks stadium. I purchased a FULL POS System from Square and installed in my store. Used it for about a year with NO PROBLEMS OR Fraudulent activity when I receive an email out of nowhere saying due to ARTICLE 3 or 4 my account has been PERMANENTLY TERMINATED?? No call or anything just closed my account. So do I get my money back for purchasing the POS SYSTEM?????? NO!!!!!! Horrible way Square treats it's clients! Not even a call to explain why my account was Terminated! I didn't get a chance!!!!

Sandra Dubas Salt Lake City, UT

I used Square when I was working for a retail business. Their app is really simple and convenient. My favorite is the forecasting you can do, as well as graphs you can see on their apps based on the sales you have made during the day, week, month, or a year.

Ronald logan

All of my stress related to Work has been directly related to Square. My account has been deactivated for over 90 days now. They have also been holding over $3k for the same 90 days. Although to some this may seem like a small amount but for a small business owner this is a great deal. Or should I say for me as a business owner this is a great deal. I have started several businesses at a young age and I finally get to a place to start a business that I love and my dream is being ruined. I don't understand how a company can continue to send the same "canned emails". We cannot reverse our decision on closing your account. I don't want you to reverse your decision I want you to release my funds that you are now deciding to hold for an additional 60 days. Not to mention you send me this notice the day the funds were to be released. I can't call anyone on your team. No one on your team has reached out to me. Maybe I'll get a response via social media. I doubt it since I have yet to receive a response for my cries for help of twitter.

Mason Allen Provo, UT

Square has a such a good mobile credit card reader. There have been a handful of times where the reader glitches but usually it takes a small reset and then works again. Also very stylish.

Kyle Provo, UT

I've only used it as a customer but oh my goodness it makes shopping at local stalls and stands sooo easy. I rarely carry cash so Square is a lifesaver.

Nate Ashby Provo, UT

Lots of businesses I've used have used square. It seems like a pretty seamless way to use smart phones and credit cards all together. It's pretty neat technology.

Karson Greenburg Salt Lake City, UT

I like the simplicity of the software, it made running my seasonal business very easy. Customer service was great most of the time and was willing to help in a moments notice.

Emily Harrison Pleasant Grove, UT

At the place I used to work we used square and it was always very straight forward and always worked smoothly in the employee-customer interactions. It's a simple way to manage payment for a business

Tiffany Vollmer Midvale, UT

Square is a great service for business. I love the convenience and options it gives to run your business smoothly and efficiently. The reports it generates saves a lot of time.

Tyler Strieby Lehi, UT

The company that I work for uses Square when we travel. Often, we go to events in which we sell our product. Square is a convenient way for us to make sales while on the go, maintaining all the records we need and making it easy for our customers to purchase our products. It was an easy system to learn and they are constantly improving on it.

Amber P. Lehi, UT

I haves it as treasurer of PTA. Easy to set up, easy to transfer each year, easy to get reports, and taking credit cards increases ease of paying. I have also had gift cards that work with square but not other terminals.

Breanna Jones Salt Lake City, UT

Every time I use square, it take about 10 times for it to actually read my card. It never works on the first time. I hardly ever use it anymore because of all the other money transfer services that are free and don't charge me a fee to use. Square was great when it first came out because there wasn't anything like it but now there are better services that I use more than Square.

Jessica Smith Parker Logan, UT

I love using Square for my business it is so efficient and easy to use. The funds are available super quick, and that is so important when running a business.

Olivia Davis Smithfield, UT

Square is soooo convenient! It has been so handy during this pandemic! Especially since we are working to eliminate the use of cash, it has been so handy!

Michael Taylor Long Beach, MS

Easy to use, ok equipment price, and decent rates. We use the system for a small concession stand. The software is easy to use and we receive quick emails the next day with our deposit totals.

Kate Lillywhite American Fork, UT

No cash? No problem! I sigh a deep breath of relief when I need to pay with a credit card, and the company has a square! Safe to use and a receipt emailed to you!

Shante Reeder Ogden, UT

Having personally used Square for business, I can say it does exactly what it needs to! It makes payment through phone so simple for the owner and the user!

Natalia Correa MDTribe Tallahassee, FL

Super convenient to use especially for start ups. I love this little app. It is a great option and alternative to cash!

Corinne Craig Eagle Mountain, UT

Loved how easy square is to use, but as a small business owner I didn’t love all the fees. I felt like i could just use Venmo instead and save the money.

Madison Kneiss Gulfport, MS

Super easy to use for my business and for the job I work for on weekends. It’s quick a and simple.

Whitney Wilkins West Valley City, UT

I love that it's small and easy to take anywhere. It is so easy to use and such a great mobile credit card reader.

Jolene Pleasant Grove, UT

Square makes it easy to make credit card purchases at different locations. I am glad that I can use my credit card. Vendors can use square and I can make my purchases.

Heather Milke Olney, MD

I know my transaction is safe when I see that someone is using Square.

Jadon Barre ,

My employees love how convenient it is to use the square. Square makes transactions easier.

OwenE. Norcross, GA

This is a great product. It makes setting up merchandising booths quick and easy.

Anya Lee Tallahassee, FL

I really like the simplicity and moof Square! I also like that the receipts are sent to my email.

Joannetta Jarman Secaucus, NJ

We use the square all the time for our public events. They have great rates for their merchants.

Kbb Avondale, AZ

I use this daily for my small business. It was very user friendly easy to learn and navigate.

Sandy Ogden, UT

I'm a cosmetologist and have used this for 10 years. It's been great, easy pay just swipe and it's there.

Katie Lewis Eagle Mountain, UT

This is very easy to use and convenient but they charge after so much in sales which other are cheaper

Melissa Giddings Logan, UT

This was a lifesaver when I had a garage sale. I was able to make more money and sales havin this option.

Cdavid St Louis, MO

Square is so easy to use. It will automatically recognize me and email me a receipt.

Tony Riverton, UT

Awesome hardware. App is easy to use too. The only downfall is it's a little on the expensive side.

Dre35 West Valley City, UT

We love using square, especially with apple pay. Love the device, and rates for vendors are decent!