Square

Square

Square is located in San Francisco, California. Square thinks everyone should be able to start and run a business, so they build tools to make that possible. The simple design of their reader and app have made them a popular company. Square lets customers sign up in minutes. They let businesses accept every major card for the same rate. In addition, they have used their popularity to help in the fight against aids. 97.25% of the $10 donation amount that is used to buy a SQUA(RED) Reader goes to the Global Fund to fight AIDS.

The Good

• User-Friendly
  • No Hidden Fees
  • Customer Support

User-Friendly

Simplicity would be the one word to describe what is best about Square. The simplicity of Square starts with their hardware. Square offers two readers, one that plugs into your smartphone for mag stripe cards, and a new reader (for chip cards and mobile payments) that connects via bluetooth and fits on your counter or in your pocket. Many customers enjoy the convenience of using the tiny reader, but some complain that the reader swivels when accepting payments.

Additionally, their free software keep tracks of all your sales, lets you create reports, give employees customized permission levels for access, and sends you alerts when inventory gets low.

No Hidden Fees

The simplicity of square extends beyond the design of their reader to their fees. There are no monthly or startup fees. Square users only pay when they process a transaction and their fees are a standard fee for most mobile reader companies.

Customer Support

Square has a lot of different customer support options (phone, e-mail, Twitter, YouTube videos, and an online community). On the Square website, customers can give feedback and input about problems they think they've discovered.

Square takes care of PCI compliance, a helpful advantage for businesses.  Square's security complies with industry standards, including advanced fraud detection and dispute assistance. They are committed to protecting your information and the information of your customers. Additionally, they offer $250 in chargeback protection per month for qualified charges.

The Bad

Phone Support

Square's phone support is fairly new and is still sub par. Before Square had their own phone support they resolved problems through e-mail and social media, which was frustrating for people unfamiliar with using those support channels. Now Square has their own phone support but there have been a lot of complaints about how long it takes to get a response from Square.

The Bottom Line

The simple design of Square and straightforward fees make it a popular product. Square may be a great fit for many customers, especially those who do not accept a high volume of credit card payments. However, their lack of a great phone support may be disadvantageous for businesses who accept larger quantities of credit card payments.

3 Square Reviews

1. Select Your Rating:

2. Subject For This Review * (Select all that apply)

0 characters

3. Review Validation*

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Next Step: Verify your email

We have sent a verification email to the following email address:

June 12th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I used Square when I was working for a retail business. Their app is really simple and convenient. My favorite is the forecasting you can do, as well as graphs you can see on their apps based on the sales you have made during the day, week, month, or a year.

June 2nd, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

Every time I use square, it take about 10 times for it to actually read my card. It never works on the first time. I hardly ever use it anymore because of all the other money transfer services that are free and don't charge me a fee to use. Square was great when it first came out because there wasn't anything like it but now there are better services that I use more than Square.

May 10th, 2017

All of my stress related to Work has been directly related to Square. My account has been deactivated for over 90 days now. They have also been holding over $3k for the same 90 days. Although to some this may seem like a small amount but for a small business owner this is a great deal. Or should I say for me as a business owner this is a great deal. I have started several businesses at a young age and I finally get to a place to start a business that I love and my dream is being ruined. I don't understand how a company can continue to send the same "canned emails". We cannot reverse our decision on closing your account. I don't want you to reverse your decision I want you to release my funds that you are now deciding to hold for an additional 60 days. Not to mention you send me this notice the day the funds were to be released. I can't call anyone on your team. No one on your team has reached out to me. Maybe I'll get a response via social media. I doubt it since I have yet to receive a response for my cries for help of twitter.