Uber Logo

5.3

LAST UPDATED: November 15th, 2021

Founded in March 2009, Uber is one of the big names in the new field of peer-to-peer ride-sharing. With an easy-to-use app and huge coverage areas, Uber allows users to get a ride at any time with a few clicks on a smartphone.

Uber has grown to offer services throughout the United States and in 58 countries worldwide, helping to change the way we view the ride-sharing business model. It also has fed the craving for customized service that is so prevalent today.

Below, we look at some of the main concerns about Uber’s ride-sharing services, including price, speed, safety, and user-friendliness. Keep reading for pros and cons, plus Uber reviews from real customers.

Turo Logo
#1 Turo chevron_right
4.0
Lyft Logo
#4 Lyft chevron_right
4.0

The Good

• Availability
  • Price Estimates
  • Usability

Availability

Uber is undoubtedly one of the most widespread ride-sharing services, meaning that users can rely on Uber offers in more locations than other services. Uber is available in 58 countries and more than 260 US cities. Additionally, that the mobile app is easy to use, and riders have more control over the type and size of vehicle that picks them up. Here is a breakdown of different fare options:

• uberBLACK: Private high-end black car rides for 1-4 passengers, with professional drivers.
  • uberPOOL: Uber's carpool matching option. You can carpool with other riders going in the same direction for a cheaper fare.
  • uberSELECT: Private high-end luxury rides for 1 to 4 passengers with high-rated drivers.
  • uberSUV: Private luxury SUV rides with professional drivers for up to 6 people.
  • uberTAXI: Private rides in local taxi cabs.
  • uberX: Private rides for 1-4 passengers in a comfortable sedan. The basic Uber ride option.
  • uberXL: Private SUV or van rides for up to 6 passengers.
  • uberWAV: Private rides in wheel-chair accessible vehicles with drivers who are certified to safely assist people with disabilities. Currently testing in Chicago, Washington DC, New York City, and Philadelphia.

Price Estimates

While prices fluctuate by location, time, and car preference, Uber always allows you to get price estimates before you commit to your trip. These estimates are based on the expected time and distance of your ride. Tipping is also available through the app, but there is no required tipping fee. On average, the cost to use a basic car (UberX) is as follows:

• Cost per mile of $1.48
  • Min. Ride fee of $1.70
  • Safe Rides Fee of $1.00
  • Cancellation fee of $10

Usability

Uber is designed for usability. Since reservations, ride information, payment, and reviews are all in the app, riders have a hassle-free experience. Additionally, the app now offers a "Split Fare" option, making riding with others easy. To use Uber, download the app on your device and register. After registration, simply open the app and enter in your destination to request a ride. Users can also choose their preferred driver and car. When a driver arrives, users will get a notification on their device. After the ride, pay in-app and review the experience. On average, Uber riders wait 4 minutes and 16 seconds for their driver to pick them up. When reserving a ride, users receive an Estimated Time of Arrival for their convenience. Uber has a reasonable wait time (an average of about four minutes) and all payment, driver rating, etc. is available through the app. With such convenience, it's no wonder more and more people are choosing Uber over traditional taxicab services.

The Bad

• Surge Pricing
  • Independent Contractors

Surge Pricing

Of course, with the good comes some bad. Uber is notorious for their surge pricing, which raises the fare for rides at certain times of the day or during periods of high demand. While this is good for Uber drivers, who are independent contractors, it can be inconvenient for riders looking for a cheap lift.

Independent Contractors

There have been riders who have complained about their driver and their qualifications. It is also important to remember that users have the ability to rate and view the ratings of their drivers. As of Spring 2016, all drivers were independent contractors rather than direct employees. As such, Uber reviews applicants for the following:

• DUI or other drug related driving violations or severe infractions
  • History of reckless driving
  • Fatal accidents
  • Sexual offenses
  • Violent crimes
  • Hit and runs
  • Resisting or evading arrest
  • Gun related violations
  • Driving without insurance or suspended license charge in the past 3 years

During the screening process, the following tools are used:

• National Sex Offender Registry screen
  • Social Security Trace (a lifetime-long record)
  • County courthouse records going back 7 years for every county of residence
  • Federal courthouse records going back 7 years
  • Multi-State Criminal Database going back 7 years
  • Motor Vehicle Records (past and present)

The Bottom Line

Whether you live in one of the cities Uber covers or you are just visiting, you can enjoy fast pick-up times and cheap rates.

The widespread availability and the customizable user experience have helped the Uber app to become one of the big names in ridesharing, offering customers an alternative to the pricey and inconvenient taxi industry. Users can choose a ride that emphasizes their needs: number of seats, cheaper price, or luxury experience.

View Best Car Sharing Companies

Kaylee Gay Chicago, IL

I love how convenient Uber is because you can get around to different places and not even rent a car. As well as they are always going throughout all hours of the night, which means that you aren't limited on when you need to get back. However, your overall experience really depends on the driver. Some drivers are absolutely amazing and go above and beyond, but other times they can be rude. However Uber overall is a good company to use to get around.

Hailee Coleman Columbia, MO

Living in a college town with many trips to the bar is the reason Uber is fantastic. Most of the drivers are friendly and genuinely want the best for you in the experience. The only reason I gave 4 stars instead of 5 is because sometimes, the prices are way too high for me. However, that is understandable because it depends on the amount of Uber drivers in the area as well as the amount of online traffic Uber is experiencing at the time.

Jec Canby, OR

I've only used it once, while out of town. It took me a while to figure out how it worked so it was actually the second time I tried that I used it. It was a great option when the bus we'd arrived on never showed up for our return trip. The driver was very nice.

Sierra Thomas Tallahassee, FL

At times they can be pricey but they always come in handy. The service is good and the drivers are skilled and usually have great communication. They come quickly and have drivers out almost at all times in the day which is great.

Aiyana Brown Tallahassee, FL

As someone who is currently without a car, Uber has been my best friend in this first year of college. The only think is that after a while it does get a bit pricey but for its convenience I think it makes up for it.

LeAnn Baytown, TX

I used Uber in Houston to go from our hotel to the Astros game. The driver showed up in timely manner and was very nice. He also offered us bottled water, which was awesome in this Houston heat. I will totally use Uber again. We actually saved $15 by not having to park at the game! Yeah!

Mercy Minor Tallahassee, FL

I use Uber whenever I need to car share and I have not had a bad experience yet. 4 stars because sometimes I would like a quiet ride and the drivers talk too much or try to get too personal.

Zharia Allums Tallahassee, FL

Uber is probably the fastest service. However, there is a discrepancy of who requires masks and it needs to be addressed. Also sometimes. the prices are insanely high.

Cindy R Tallahassee, FL

I think that tuber showing the plate number is useful. There have been times when I’ve gotten really rude drivers so the part where I can rate the driver is useful.

Doug Foerch Libertyville, IL

Decent price compared to other transportations, but they also have had issues with find good workers.

BROOKE SUMMERS Nashville, TN

Uber seems to be pretty great although I think people who are riders need to turn on their location that way the Uber drivers have an exact location even if you put in a different pick-up location the driver will know exactly where you are on arrival instead of going to the wrong address I've had this issue several times being a driver for Uber also so if they happen to put in the wrong address the driver can contact them and pick them up in a timely manner. I too have also felt uncomfortable getting an Uber driver that does not speak English and then it makes it hard to get where I need to go when they don't understand. Maybe the driver should have to get those portable translators that you can get online they're kind of expensive but they might actually work to help the Uber driver and the Uber Riders to have a better experience

Shannon Biassou Tallahassee, FL

Uber is a great way to get rides when you need it. It can however be a bit pricey.

Kajsa Kirby Denver, CO

I love Uber! I've had some faulty drivers but Uber is normally pretty reliable. One thing that infuriates me is how I left my AirPods in an uber the day I bought them and I said I thought they may be mine (didn't mean to bring them) but then my uber driver said that if I contacted them and they really were mine I could easily get them back. Once i realized that they were mine I contacted them and went multiple times to Uber customer service but they would not help me at all and said it was up to the driver. Never got them back.. and they were a Christmas present to me from my mother :(

AF ,

I really like this service. The drivers have been overall very good (picking up on social cues like if you don't want to chat or if you want to chat, they've been friendly). The cars have mostly been really clean and nice. I also like the app -- it's nice to be able to see which tier I want to go in and follow your driver to see where he/she is. The payment is also given before hand so there aren't any surprises.

debbie Pleasant Grove, UT

I enjoy using Uber and have been able to ride with Uber everywhere I have traveled throughout the world. I appreciate knowing that the drivers have background checks and their information is known and traceable. It gives some added safety. I have only had one negative experience, which I reported to Uber. All my other drivers have been friendly.

Breanna Jones Salt Lake City, UT

I always am a little nervous getting into a car with a complete stranger but I have had a pleasant experience every time. Every driver has been super nice and cars have bean clean. It is a little annoying when the price changes based on busy times, so I have had a couple of expensive rides but besides that, it is definitely my first choice over taking a taxi.

Keren Tallahassee, FL

Affordable ridesharing. Downside are sometimes you get creepy drivers.

Jazmyne Tallahassee, FL

Fast service and very convenient service with reasonable rates most of the time .

Laila Hayes Tallahassee, FL

I love Uber! Although it may be pricey, it's obvious that they care about clients.

Theodore Niemann Boulder, CO

Uber is amazing for college towns. In this day and age, there should be no excuse for drinking and driving as car services like this one are so available. I love that I can go out to the bars and not have to worry about how I am going to get back home. Sometimes, they can be pricey on weekend nights, but riding with friends makes it worth it.

GB O'Fallon, MO

I am new user, Only complaint was initial description of car was gold and car was black which caused time delay that was charged to me which I felt was unfair. phone call from driver cleared up confusion but several minutes wait time was added to my bill

Emma Jimenez Austin, TX

I needed an emergency ride at 12am and for my surprise i never really used uber and they literally got to place in 5 minutes. I haven't been able to ride because my license has expired, but knowing that I can rely on Uber its awesome.

Blake Wilcox Salt Lake City, UT

I was just in California with my fiance and we used uber from airport to our hotel. The car was there on time, the driver was dressed in nice clothing and his car was clean. We had a wonderful experience. And the price was much cheaper than using other services.

bmc2z7 Columbia, MO

Uber has helped me feel safe and I feel like I can rely on their service.

David Stickles West Jordan, UT

Great way to get around but highly dependent on your area. As far as city travel the app is a must.

Abby Wallin Denver, CO

I use uber as my primary source of transport, as I cannot afford to have my own car right now. I love how easy it is and that it is available in many foreign countries. Uber has definitely gotten me out of some sticky situations! There have been a few instances where I didn't feel safe in the car, but them adding the safety button really helps with that.

Robert Wilson Rockville, MD

I used Uber extensively when I traveled in in Portugal (Lisbon) and Spain(Madrid and Granada) over the Summer of 2019. The riders availability was usually less than five minutes and they always had decent cars to ride in. It is nice to not have to worry about driving in an unfamiliar city where it can be very confusing to follow new traffic signals. Setting up and using the Uber app on a Samsung phone was very easy. I have since extended my app to my sons and daughters phones so they can have a ride available when I cannot pick them up.

Braylyn Linford Lehi, UT

I recently have used Uber once I was in Las Vegas and it was nice the timing was fantastic was very easy very quick I had the app on my phone it was nice I was able to ask for a car and was able to get right in within a few minutes of each time of the Uber drivers I’ve had I’ve been very friendly I am is it cost-effective yeah probably not but once again if you’re in need of that service I think it’s a fantastic service to offer

Mariana Linares , NC

Uber has change the way I travel, as I use Uber more than I use my car. The app is extremely convenient, and the new rewards program makes it more worth while. I have experienced the occasional problem with the App, but the drivers have been very thoughtful and easy to work with to remediate the situation. I also have lost an item in an Uber, and while it was retrieved, I was not pleased that there was a $15 fee associated with retrieving the item.

Megan A McEvoy Tallahassee, FL

Uber has always been pretty great for me. As a college student I frequently take ubers after going out and I have not had a very poor experience. I have actually had some pretty memorable conversations with uber drivers before, and its conversations like those that really make a night out even better. It does get expensive, however, at times to always take an uber, but that is my only complaint.

Ellen Morris Potomac, MD

Uber is great and I have never had a bad experience with a driver. But from a technology perspective on their app, I wish their algorithm more accurately predicted when I would reach my destination before I even order the Uber, it often miscalculates for the number of cars in my area and doesn't accurately account for how long it will take for the car to pick me up. I wish this was better programmed.

Kyle Gardner Provo, UT

Uber is one of the safest methods of travel when traveling in Buenos Aires, especially at night. When I was a missionary for my church there, my family came to visit and we wanted to visit some people in some less safe non-touristy areas. Americans are a big target for robbing in these areas, so I recommend uber, even though it is more expensive than other travel methods like the bus.

wayne sanders Valley Center, CA

car sharing is convenient because the times that I have used it I was able to access a car at anytime, not just business hours. I have also found that car sharing is a bit more economical for me rather that renting a car. often I have only needed the car for a limited time frame so its nice to only pay for that time. I have also shared with a fellow employee and other than adding just a few minutes extra to drop my co-worker off on the way to my location it was very convenient for both of us and saved us each a few dollars.

James Larson Pleasant Grove, UT

In general , I like Uber. Their prices go up and down a lot and there is no way to contact the home office (if they even have one). You have to pay when the drivers get their directions mixed up and take you to the wrong place. If YOU cancel, you get charged, but if the drivers don't show up, there is no recompense. Other than these problems, it works well.

Starski Cene Vienna, VA

Was once the gold standard but Lyft has caught up. Pros: - Can find a driver most times of the day and in most places - Ride scheduling - Carpool option to save cost - Dispute process (based on the route taken by the driver) is easy, and they block the driver, so you don't get them again Cons: - Ads, Ads, Ads, I understand the need for it, but they have flooded the app with ads, and now the app is entirely bloated - Still don't understand peak time, surge pricing, it use to be a simple multiplier but that has changed

Amber C Frey San Diego, CA

I've used Uber a number of times and have yet to have any issues. The drivers so far have always been pretty courteous. Every ride has showed up on time. There was only one incident after a concert where we couldn't find our driver for a while but that was because of the chaos and confusion of hundreds of people trying to find their Uber driver after a large concert.

Hownowbrowncow Hattiesburg, MS

For a safe and fast ride wherever you need to go, Uber usually always has cars around even if it’s in a smaller city. The app sometimes crashes but it works fine most of the time.

Jass Tallahassee, FL

The Uber drivers I’ve had have been very friendly and accommodating. They make me feel safe and have no problem taking suggestions that’ll make the experience better for me.

Gary Press Fort Lauderdale, FL

Sometimes drivers don't show up. Mostly good though. I have been charged when a driver did not show up and did not have time to call them and explain so I was charged for nothing.

david jones Pleasant Grove, UT

Uber has been super convenient. I think people that criticize these services have forgotten what it was like before they existed. Arriving in a city and not having to wait in line to get a cab is refreshing.

Shelbi Griggs Houston, TX

Very easy service. Sometimes the hidden charges are a surprise but it’s okay

Nathalie Lakeland, FL

Easy to help get around to places. Some of the Uber drivers will do extra and have chargers, snacks, waters, and wait extra time for you if you need a minute to get to the car. The prices are sometimes over the top and unreasonable.

lani tuihalamaka Cheyenne, WY

Majority of rides have been perfect with a few exceptions. One in particular my husband and I were in Boston for a football game and ordered an uber for a ride to Gillette stadium. The driver showed up with a friend of his, we did not order the uber pool, and was on his phone the whole time. Not ok.

Lethia Johnson Tallahassee, FL

I have only had to use uber when traveling, but I have always had a great experience with it. All the drivers I have had have been nice, accommodating, and really helpful in cities that I am not as comfortable in! Would recommend for travel.

Michelle Rios Ogden, UT

We used Uber to get around in Tahoe when we were there a few years ago. It was a simple process to order a ride and we used it frequently to get around. We travelled with 2-6 people and were always able to get what we needed. The prices were fair and the drivers were courteous. We would use them again.

Mark falkner Riverton, UT

Uber is great. What a fantastic idea. Much cheaper than a cab, way nicer cars than a cab, more reliable and more info at your fingertips. Super convenient. Although they totally rip off their drivers. Uber should only take 10% if the fare not the 40%-50% they do for doing mostly nothing.

Bob Muench Sandy, UT

I used Uber for the first time when I went to a conference recently. Normally I drive anywhere I need to go, but this was a rare situation. The driver's GPS was off by 50 yards, and I had to go to him, but otherwise, it was a great experience. The return trip was smooth and uneventful.

B Bartholomew Provo, UT

I’ve always had a decent experience with using Uber. I prefer it to using a taxi but have sometimes had to deal with drivers that smoke which is always a little uncomfortable even though they don’t smoke while driving me.

Kayla Roecklein Gulfport, MS

I have used this a couples times cause i cant drive but its overall okay the trip usually depends on the driver cause i usually don't wan to hear his life story but whenever its just a nice ride with my music and myself its nice

Ariyana Miller Riverview, FL

Uber is usually good and has great drivers, but the only thing I don’t like is the fee to split fares. It is understandable, but the process isn’t the best as it can allow people to not split the fares. Overall a very great app with great service and drivers.