Uber Logo

5.3

LAST UPDATED: October 27th, 2021

Founded in March 2009, Uber is one of the big names in the new field of peer-to-peer ride-sharing. With an easy-to-use app and huge coverage areas, Uber allows users to get a ride at any time with a few clicks on a smartphone.

Uber has grown to offer services throughout the United States and in 58 countries worldwide, helping to change the way we view the ride-sharing business model. It also has fed the craving for customized service that is so prevalent today.

Below, we look at some of the main concerns about Uber’s ride-sharing services, including price, speed, safety, and user-friendliness. Keep reading for pros and cons, plus Uber reviews from real customers.

Turo Logo
#1 Turo chevron_right
4.0
Lyft Logo
#4 Lyft chevron_right
4.0

The Good

• Availability
  • Price Estimates
  • Usability

Availability

Uber is undoubtedly one of the most widespread ride-sharing services, meaning that users can rely on Uber offers in more locations than other services. Uber is available in 58 countries and more than 260 US cities. Additionally, that the mobile app is easy to use, and riders have more control over the type and size of vehicle that picks them up. Here is a breakdown of different fare options:

• uberBLACK: Private high-end black car rides for 1-4 passengers, with professional drivers.
  • uberPOOL: Uber's carpool matching option. You can carpool with other riders going in the same direction for a cheaper fare.
  • uberSELECT: Private high-end luxury rides for 1 to 4 passengers with high-rated drivers.
  • uberSUV: Private luxury SUV rides with professional drivers for up to 6 people.
  • uberTAXI: Private rides in local taxi cabs.
  • uberX: Private rides for 1-4 passengers in a comfortable sedan. The basic Uber ride option.
  • uberXL: Private SUV or van rides for up to 6 passengers.
  • uberWAV: Private rides in wheel-chair accessible vehicles with drivers who are certified to safely assist people with disabilities. Currently testing in Chicago, Washington DC, New York City, and Philadelphia.

Price Estimates

While prices fluctuate by location, time, and car preference, Uber always allows you to get price estimates before you commit to your trip. These estimates are based on the expected time and distance of your ride. Tipping is also available through the app, but there is no required tipping fee. On average, the cost to use a basic car (UberX) is as follows:

• Cost per mile of $1.48
  • Min. Ride fee of $1.70
  • Safe Rides Fee of $1.00
  • Cancellation fee of $10

Usability

Uber is designed for usability. Since reservations, ride information, payment, and reviews are all in the app, riders have a hassle-free experience. Additionally, the app now offers a "Split Fare" option, making riding with others easy. To use Uber, download the app on your device and register. After registration, simply open the app and enter in your destination to request a ride. Users can also choose their preferred driver and car. When a driver arrives, users will get a notification on their device. After the ride, pay in-app and review the experience. On average, Uber riders wait 4 minutes and 16 seconds for their driver to pick them up. When reserving a ride, users receive an Estimated Time of Arrival for their convenience. Uber has a reasonable wait time (an average of about four minutes) and all payment, driver rating, etc. is available through the app. With such convenience, it's no wonder more and more people are choosing Uber over traditional taxicab services.

The Bad

• Surge Pricing
  • Independent Contractors

Surge Pricing

Of course, with the good comes some bad. Uber is notorious for their surge pricing, which raises the fare for rides at certain times of the day or during periods of high demand. While this is good for Uber drivers, who are independent contractors, it can be inconvenient for riders looking for a cheap lift.

Independent Contractors

There have been riders who have complained about their driver and their qualifications. It is also important to remember that users have the ability to rate and view the ratings of their drivers. As of Spring 2016, all drivers were independent contractors rather than direct employees. As such, Uber reviews applicants for the following:

• DUI or other drug related driving violations or severe infractions
  • History of reckless driving
  • Fatal accidents
  • Sexual offenses
  • Violent crimes
  • Hit and runs
  • Resisting or evading arrest
  • Gun related violations
  • Driving without insurance or suspended license charge in the past 3 years

During the screening process, the following tools are used:

• National Sex Offender Registry screen
  • Social Security Trace (a lifetime-long record)
  • County courthouse records going back 7 years for every county of residence
  • Federal courthouse records going back 7 years
  • Multi-State Criminal Database going back 7 years
  • Motor Vehicle Records (past and present)

The Bottom Line

Whether you live in one of the cities Uber covers or you are just visiting, you can enjoy fast pick-up times and cheap rates.

The widespread availability and the customizable user experience have helped the Uber app to become one of the big names in ridesharing, offering customers an alternative to the pricey and inconvenient taxi industry. Users can choose a ride that emphasizes their needs: number of seats, cheaper price, or luxury experience.

View Best Car Sharing Companies

The Bean Spiller Provo, UT

I've had some pretty good experiences riding with Uber. I like how they show how much they care about the customer with their COVID-19 rules and their promotions. However, it really isn't worth using Uber without having a promotion cause it's just so expensive. Sure, it's better than a cab, but there's also other ride share companies out there. They also send so many emails, which are annoying

Cris Balmanno Riverton, UT

Didn't like that drivers could accept our ride request, then cancel it at the last second leaving us on the side of the road and we couldn't leave negative driver reviews. Stuck trying to get a ride for 2 hours with no recourse. This only happened once, but it sticks with you...

Gabe Burton Riverton, UT

I mean, it's easy and convenient, except when you have to car share or wait 45 minutes for someone to pick you up. I do like that it tracks your location, it's nice to know if I'm murdered or kidnapped or something by a random driver, Uber will know where I am. Pretty expensive though

A'mari Johnson Ocala, FL

Uber is very expensive depending on the time it is booked.

1 day ago

Joy

I have a very bad experience with uber, i came to my work late, the waiting time is so long, it says 13 min, but when it reaches to 10 min, it will go back to 13 min, then when it goes to 8 min, it changes back to 10 min until the waiting time time takes forever. How could you do that? I was supposed to arrive 4 min before my work starts . This happened to me previously, then yesterday & today. I’m so disappointed with you UBER!!!!!

Hannah Pleasant Grove, UT

The concept of Uber is nice if you're in a pinch, but the two biggest issues for me are the inconsistency in drivers and the price. I'd rather not have to pay $50 to get to the airport, especially if the guy's car smells like smoke. However, when we were in Europe this summer it was really nice to have a ride taken care of instead of trying to figure out public transportation ourselves. You win some, you lose some.

Patrick Orem, UT

I have been driving for Uber for 2 years (just got my badge). I like the ability to network with people. Talking with the passengers is super chill. But it is a bit inconsistent. There are days where I love it and some days where Uber sucks. You try hard to get hold of support at Uber but it can be bad. But I would still recommend people become drivers.

Brad S. Orem, UT

I have been a driver with Uber for a year and even had to use the ride share occasionally. Uber has constantly increased the rates for users to book a ride every few months. They don’t have real-time location of users when drivers go to pick them up, leaving drivers to search for riders occasionally. But if you need a quick ride, definitely use it.

Cassidy Gundersen Orem, UT

I used Uber a lot when I lived in Washington DC a couple years ago. I really liked the app, and all of the drivers were pretty nice. They’ve had some negative PR lately and don’t seem to be the most trustworthy company… I know they have a new CEO, but I don’t think I’ll use Uber again until they can show lasting change.

Monica Zurawsky Pittsburgh, PA

I've had several bad experiences with Uber over the last year. During one ride in particular, the car was making a horrible noise and the driver refused to pull over when I asked him to. He finally pulled off to the side of a busy highway and we discovered that he had blown a tire. He had no idea who to call for assistance and I ended up having to request another Uber who had a difficult time finding me on the side of a highway. I did receive a refund.

Beth Farmer Pleasant Grove, UT

Overall, I thought the app was pretty easy to use and self-explanatory. But, the driver took way longer to arrive than the estimated time. I don't know if this is the app's fault or the driver's fault but it was very frustrating. I have avoided Uber since then because my first experience wasn't great. The driver was nice and safe, but not apologetic about being late.

Lindsey A Brown Lehi, UT

Overall I've had mostly positive experiences with Uber and the drivers but also several that I would not give a good review to. Multiple times I've been picked up and the Uber car clearly smelt like marajuna. It was actually a pretty miserable drive for myself as well as the other people that were with me. I also get pretty nervous at just the thought of getting into a car with a complete stranger.

Mezo Uchiha Hamden, CT

Uber is good and all provides a nice way for a side job income however there system needs lots of improvement with driver support

Ursula Chula Vista, CA

We really like Uber but don’t ever leave anything behind in the drivers car you will never see it again . . . . .and it is impossible to get in touch with anybody to help you , customer service does not exist,

Myken Salt Lake City, UT

I have used Uber one time and although booking the transport was easy and the experience was overall convenient, my driver made me feel very uncomfortable and talked about some very personal issues he was going through. I wouldn't feel comfortable using the service again.

Tochica Baptiste Tallahassee, FL

Uber is very helpful for people with no cars, but it can also be pretty scary. I believe uber should put more effort into who they allow driving people. Customer service also sucks I don't believe you can talk to an on the phone representative.

BeauCarl South Jordan, UT

My first experiences with UBER was very positive, however due to its popularity their quality control has gone down significantly, to reserve a decent vehicle you must upgrade, some drivers are merely picking up customers on their way home from work and their cars are not maintained like a Taxi Cab

Amy Boren American Fork, UT

Had a great experience when my daughters and I used them when we met up with my family at disneyland. The girl who took us to our hotel was wonderful but the return trip was in a car that smelled so bad and he got lost! we weren't late but my daughter got car sick because of the smell,

Michelle De Oliveira American Fork, UT

I have not had much luck with Uber. Their employees always seem to be in a bad mood and hate their job. I try to avoid using them if I can and prefer to use other options if available. They are in more areas of the world though, so that makes them more convenient in that regards.

Andrea Orangevale, CA

Most of experience with Uber has been positive. I am disappointed that they can triple your rate after you are already riding in the car because of peak times. I had requested an Uber for $24 and was later charged $68 because of this.

Spencer Scoville American Fork, UT

Terrifying, although its handy to have someone come pick you up from somewhere when you are in a pickle you sometimes get people who have no idea what they are doing and like to chat it up with the stranger in the back. Not really my thing

Measton Gilbert, AZ

Wonderful service especially within populous cities. When looking for an Uber in more rural areas the service has been worse though. I reccomend asking for their name rather than asking “are you ____” there have been instances when people pose as Uber drivers, but otherwise a very safe and helpful business

Cayla Koga Fremont, CA

Personally, I am not a fan. I don't like the unvetted stranger driving me around. However, I know a lot of people who love it and have benefited from the services rendered. It's affordable, on-demand, and apparently has some really nice drivers.

Isaac Lindon, UT

I live in utah where there aren't alot of Uber's where I live so the wait times were long but the drivers are nice and I would consider this a good means of transportation for people without a car. I have a car so I it's not the most affordable. Also if you want to go anywhere remotely far it's very expensive.

Zoe Julian

Uber is a great concept and I had good experiences using it in and around Boston, MA. I did feel nervous every time I rode by myself as I was not guaranteed to be safe but I do think that I received a good service. I hated that they have surge pricing and it was sometimes cheaper to take an actual taxi but it worked out the majority of the time.

Madi Thompson Ogden, UT

I've really enjoyed using Uber to get around to places, especially when I'm traveling. I do wish that they had more of a safety regulations like maybe requiring that the driver has a camera in the car. Also, they don't really have good customer service, they don't have a call center which makes it really difficult to contact them.

Rafael Estrada

Don't know what to say... it all depends on the driver you get.... I've had some seriously crazy driver which I had to report and hope Uber kicked them out.

Nathan Broomfield, CO

While I have enjoyed Uber in the past, recently their prices have been double or triple that of other car sharing services. This has led me to often take my business elsewhere.

R Tallahassee, FL

Uber is so efficent with its navigating site. If only peope knew who was who then random people would not be trying to get into your car because they think you are an uber driver.

Kbr Lahaina, HI

Uber was a great thing until I started checking taxi prices and they are not equal to Ubers a lot of the time. They seem to just be getting more expensive all the time and I feel less safe in cities.

Jacob American Fork, UT

Uber is great for traveling and saving money on car sharing. With rental cars being expensive, especially for students, Uber is a great way to your desired location fast and for a good deal.

Brenda Spanish Fork, UT

I haven't found anything exceptional about Uber. They seem to be a little more expensive than Lyft. Other than that they get me to where I need to go and the drivers are always friendly.

club 801 Lehi, UT

I think uber is so great. I use UBER Weekly. I have used it for rides to the Airport, rides home from late night parties and also to deliver my lunch. super reliabel and friendly drivers.

Justin Alpine, UT

Uber is nice sometimes. I have had some very nice rides to places, but also some very unenjoyable rides because of some bad drivers. But the app is easy to use so that is nice.

Tori smith Mesa, AZ

Uber is convenient with the app, but it seems like they always cancel last minute and it charges your account $2 when there’s a cancellation

Jaida Williams Tallahassee, FL

Uber drivers sometimes fail to pick up on time and have made me late on several occasions. Other than that, I have not had any issues with the company.

Maria Dolet Gaithersburg, MD

I have used Uber in several locations and to be honest with you I prefer .it seems that Uber is not as reliable I always seem to have a difficult time with their app

Zac Marx Brighton, CO

I only use Uber when traveling. It has gotten better of the past few years. I really enjoy the coupons for $5 or $10 off a ride when I havent used it in awhile.

Alexander Johnson Burbank, CA

I’ve not had any issues with the ride share service always quick and easy. It’s the drivers who annoy me though

Rebecca

Good. On time. Nice. Cars always clean. The drivers that picked me up made me feel safe. Timely service.

Phabie Tallahassee, FL

It can be hard to reach customer service directly, but the app itself is well built. Never had a hard time requesting rides.

Wilgens Paul Jacksonville, FL

Uber is cool and all but it’s quite pricy for no reason! I believe that their rates are unreasonably greater than their competitors

Destiny Wyche Tampa, FL

This is not as reliable as the other car services, however the prices are convenient. The drivers are nice and friendly as well.

Zharia Allums Haines City, FL

The arrival time is pretty quick, but compared to other companies that offer the same service, it is relatively expensive.

Nicholas Atkison Tallahassee, FL

A bit overpriced and they pay the workers terribly. I would almost always recommend Lyft over uber, only downside is Lyft has fewer drivers.

Jami Howell Farmington, UT

The price and the service are fine but I have taken multiple rides with them and haven't felt comfortable with the drivers that I have had.

Alicia Lehi, UT

Uber is always a good bet when you need a ride. But you can also waste a ton of money on it. Especially if you are in the city.

Dee Farquharson Washington, DC

Prices are pretty expensive. Whenever I write to customer service for an issue, I never get contacted. I use Lyft more instead.

Dru Scott American Fork, UT

I had some druggie hipster man for my driver and he almost crash about a million times. Decent company needs to run background checks.

Brady Hanson Orem, UT

Uber is a great option if you need a ride fast. I like that I can check-in from my phone and the get immediate service. It is expensive.