Uber Logo

5.3

LAST UPDATED: December 6th, 2021

Founded in March 2009, Uber is one of the big names in the new field of peer-to-peer ride-sharing. With an easy-to-use app and huge coverage areas, Uber allows users to get a ride at any time with a few clicks on a smartphone.

Uber has grown to offer services throughout the United States and in 58 countries worldwide, helping to change the way we view the ride-sharing business model. It also has fed the craving for customized service that is so prevalent today.

Below, we look at some of the main concerns about Uber’s ride-sharing services, including price, speed, safety, and user-friendliness. Keep reading for pros and cons, plus Uber reviews from real customers.

Turo Logo
#1 Turo chevron_right
3.9
Lyft Logo
#4 Lyft chevron_right
4.0

The Good

• Availability
  • Price Estimates
  • Usability

Availability

Uber is undoubtedly one of the most widespread ride-sharing services, meaning that users can rely on Uber offers in more locations than other services. Uber is available in 58 countries and more than 260 US cities. Additionally, that the mobile app is easy to use, and riders have more control over the type and size of vehicle that picks them up. Here is a breakdown of different fare options:

• uberBLACK: Private high-end black car rides for 1-4 passengers, with professional drivers.
  • uberPOOL: Uber's carpool matching option. You can carpool with other riders going in the same direction for a cheaper fare.
  • uberSELECT: Private high-end luxury rides for 1 to 4 passengers with high-rated drivers.
  • uberSUV: Private luxury SUV rides with professional drivers for up to 6 people.
  • uberTAXI: Private rides in local taxi cabs.
  • uberX: Private rides for 1-4 passengers in a comfortable sedan. The basic Uber ride option.
  • uberXL: Private SUV or van rides for up to 6 passengers.
  • uberWAV: Private rides in wheel-chair accessible vehicles with drivers who are certified to safely assist people with disabilities. Currently testing in Chicago, Washington DC, New York City, and Philadelphia.

Price Estimates

While prices fluctuate by location, time, and car preference, Uber always allows you to get price estimates before you commit to your trip. These estimates are based on the expected time and distance of your ride. Tipping is also available through the app, but there is no required tipping fee. On average, the cost to use a basic car (UberX) is as follows:

• Cost per mile of $1.48
  • Min. Ride fee of $1.70
  • Safe Rides Fee of $1.00
  • Cancellation fee of $10

Usability

Uber is designed for usability. Since reservations, ride information, payment, and reviews are all in the app, riders have a hassle-free experience. Additionally, the app now offers a "Split Fare" option, making riding with others easy. To use Uber, download the app on your device and register. After registration, simply open the app and enter in your destination to request a ride. Users can also choose their preferred driver and car. When a driver arrives, users will get a notification on their device. After the ride, pay in-app and review the experience. On average, Uber riders wait 4 minutes and 16 seconds for their driver to pick them up. When reserving a ride, users receive an Estimated Time of Arrival for their convenience. Uber has a reasonable wait time (an average of about four minutes) and all payment, driver rating, etc. is available through the app. With such convenience, it's no wonder more and more people are choosing Uber over traditional taxicab services.

The Bad

• Surge Pricing
  • Independent Contractors

Surge Pricing

Of course, with the good comes some bad. Uber is notorious for their surge pricing, which raises the fare for rides at certain times of the day or during periods of high demand. While this is good for Uber drivers, who are independent contractors, it can be inconvenient for riders looking for a cheap lift.

Independent Contractors

There have been riders who have complained about their driver and their qualifications. It is also important to remember that users have the ability to rate and view the ratings of their drivers. As of Spring 2016, all drivers were independent contractors rather than direct employees. As such, Uber reviews applicants for the following:

• DUI or other drug related driving violations or severe infractions
  • History of reckless driving
  • Fatal accidents
  • Sexual offenses
  • Violent crimes
  • Hit and runs
  • Resisting or evading arrest
  • Gun related violations
  • Driving without insurance or suspended license charge in the past 3 years

During the screening process, the following tools are used:

• National Sex Offender Registry screen
  • Social Security Trace (a lifetime-long record)
  • County courthouse records going back 7 years for every county of residence
  • Federal courthouse records going back 7 years
  • Multi-State Criminal Database going back 7 years
  • Motor Vehicle Records (past and present)

The Bottom Line

Whether you live in one of the cities Uber covers or you are just visiting, you can enjoy fast pick-up times and cheap rates.

The widespread availability and the customizable user experience have helped the Uber app to become one of the big names in ridesharing, offering customers an alternative to the pricey and inconvenient taxi industry. Users can choose a ride that emphasizes their needs: number of seats, cheaper price, or luxury experience.

View Best Car Sharing Companies

Morgan Elijah Tallahassee, FL

I think that overall I have had positive experiences with uber, I love the mask policy that requires both passengers and uber drivers to wear their masks. This gives me a wonderful peace of mind that I am safe while traveling. I do think that background checks should be required because as a woman uber can be scary especially when you are by yourself.

Hijah Smith Tallahassee, FL

I love that Uber is easy and quick to use, especially when you need to get a ride somewhere. My friends and I have always used Uber to travel, and it has been nothing but a good experience.

23 hours ago

Kaylee Gay Chicago, IL

I love how convenient Uber is because you can get around to different places and not even rent a car. As well as they are always going throughout all hours of the night, which means that you aren't limited on when you need to get back. However, your overall experience really depends on the driver. Some drivers are absolutely amazing and go above and beyond, but other times they can be rude. However Uber overall is a good company to use to get around.

Jec Canby, OR

I've only used it once, while out of town. It took me a while to figure out how it worked so it was actually the second time I tried that I used it. It was a great option when the bus we'd arrived on never showed up for our return trip. The driver was very nice.

roberto arcia Columbia, MO

I have been using Uber for over five years now. They are a great option to get from place A to place B, while not having to worry about your personal vehicle in the process. They have short wait times and always arrive on time. I will continue to use Uber in the near future as they are such an inexpensive option for ride-sharing.

Kayla M. Tallahassee, FL

Uber has become a little bit costly, but I have never had issues with the drivers and I can get from point A to point B without issues

1 day ago

rohanna meikle Tallahassee, FL

I have an excellent experience with Uber . I love Uber!! The customer service team is helpful and the app is good qaulity.

LeAnn Baytown, TX

I used Uber in Houston to go from our hotel to the Astros game. The driver showed up in timely manner and was very nice. He also offered us bottled water, which was awesome in this Houston heat. I will totally use Uber again. We actually saved $15 by not having to park at the game! Yeah!

Zariah Tallahassee, FL

Uber has always provided me with a great driver to take me to and from areas around the city, especially since I am a college student and I don’t have my vehicle. My drivers were all safe.

Sierra Thomas Tallahassee, FL

At times they can be pricey but they always come in handy. The service is good and the drivers are skilled and usually have great communication. They come quickly and have drivers out almost at all times in the day which is great.

Andriana Cesaire Tallahassee, FL

Uber is a safe and cost efficient choice, especially for a college student. I also like that I can split up the fare for the ride easily through the app. Communication through the app to the driver is very user friendly.

Luke Swierczynski Troy, MI

Would give a higher score but in my area it's next to impossible to find one unless I schedule it multiple days in advance. Even then they've been unable to find drivers before.

Aiyana Brown Tallahassee, FL

As someone who is currently without a car, Uber has been my best friend in this first year of college. The only think is that after a while it does get a bit pricey but for its convenience I think it makes up for it.

Mercy Minor Tallahassee, FL

I use Uber whenever I need to car share and I have not had a bad experience yet. 4 stars because sometimes I would like a quiet ride and the drivers talk too much or try to get too personal.

Melissa Castillo Baytown, TX

I've always had a good experience with Uber. I use it mostly when traveling and staying in larger cities when I need transportation. I find it to be a safe, reliable source of travel when I don't have my own vehicle.

The Bean Spiller Provo, UT

I've had some pretty good experiences riding with Uber. I like how they show how much they care about the customer with their COVID-19 rules and their promotions. However, it really isn't worth using Uber without having a promotion cause it's just so expensive. Sure, it's better than a cab, but there's also other ride share companies out there. They also send so many emails, which are annoying

Anya Lee Jacksonville, FL

The prices for Uber rides are pretty expensive. I remember when I first started using this ride share service and the prices were not as high as they are now.

amari sims Windermere, FL

Uber has been so good to me when I have been in a bad situation needing a last-minute ride!I like that I can request a specific style vehicle.

Destini Ferguson Tallahassee, FL

You'll make it to your destination, however the drivers can sometimes be very inquisitive. There's been numerous times I've felt pressured into saying where I'm going and why. Maybe they consider that to be friendly? Also, the Uber drivers usually take longer than expected to arrive which is inconvenient.

Omara Obas Tallahassee, FL

My experiences with uber have been well. I rarely use it but when I do, I've always given a tip. The drivers I've encountered are great.

Zharia Allums Tallahassee, FL

Uber is probably the fastest service. However, there is a discrepancy of who requires masks and it needs to be addressed. Also sometimes. the prices are insanely high.

Cindy R Tallahassee, FL

I think that tuber showing the plate number is useful. There have been times when I’ve gotten really rude drivers so the part where I can rate the driver is useful.

Sydney Charleston South Jordan, UT

Simple, easy and I love the app. I can't live without it. Much easier than trying to find a normal cab. Uber is fairly cheap, and the drivers are always so kind.

Cris Balmanno Riverton, UT

Didn't like that drivers could accept our ride request, then cancel it at the last second leaving us on the side of the road and we couldn't leave negative driver reviews. Stuck trying to get a ride for 2 hours with no recourse. This only happened once, but it sticks with you...

Gabe Burton Riverton, UT

I mean, it's easy and convenient, except when you have to car share or wait 45 minutes for someone to pick you up. I do like that it tracks your location, it's nice to know if I'm murdered or kidnapped or something by a random driver, Uber will know where I am. Pretty expensive though

Makayla Holland Gaithersburg, MD

My experience with Uber was great you make the account they gives you amazing deals, we you type in you destination you automatically get an Uber and they are never that far away. The service is always good, the prices are always good.

Doug Foerch Libertyville, IL

Decent price compared to other transportations, but they also have had issues with find good workers.

Holly Parrish Atlanta, GA

Uber is very reliable and always arrives with 3-5 minutes at the most. The majority of the drivers are all long time Uber drivers and drive full time. They know their way around town. Uber also has expanded features for safety and even the famous UberEats food delivery options as well. Overall Uber is the best service provider on a consistent basis. I am a full time user if rideshare services and public transit. I have used both Uber & Lyft almost daily for the past 18 months since I made the decision to give up personal car ownership due to the massive traffic issueswithin my city of Atlanta.

Ryan Pleasant Grove, UT

I had a great experience with Uber. Last Spring my wife and I traveled to Europe. For the last two days of the trip we were in Amsterdam without a rental car. I had heard about Uber and decided now would be the perfect time to test it. Everything worked great. The drivers all spoke English and were very kind. The app is amazing! It shows in real time how close the driver is so you know exactly when they will arrive. It has you submit your credit card information when you launch the app. This makes payment seamless. Once the ride is over, it automatically pays the driver for you. The app also makes the drivers very competitive. The higher their score (rated by customers) the more likely people will use them. Because of this, we had drivers offer us water, help with everything, etc... It was super fun!

Erna Valcin Tallahassee, FL

Really beneficial if you are traveling or are new to a city. They are a bit pricey however and you would need to plan time ahead to order.

kip petrykowski Charlotte, NC

Driver was late, didn't respond to text asking why he was not going to be on time. No number to reach out to Uber to discuss, they gave me a credit for another ride after I complained in the ap (no human to speak with), I want my money back, I don't want to use them again, what does the credit do for me nothing!

Tyrane Sargeant Tallahassee, FL

Never had an issue with Uber. Always great services with the drivers. My go to when I need a ride somewhere quickly!

Tomi Onikeku Tallahassee, FL

I haven’t had a bad experience with any of the drivers. The app is easy to navigate and convenient.

Jodianna Tallahassee, FL

I like how I can easily access my phone to request a ride and I can see details about the driver before my trip. I do not like how expensive the rides have gotten.

RobSin43 Surrey, BC

What a joke of a company. Uber sucks most as a "taxi" company, but also with UberEats. Use any other ride share and order food from anyone other than Uber Eats. After having used Uber extensively for both, I have become much smarter and realized how horrible Uber truly is. It's their billing. It is an absolute nightmare. If I wasnt careful and didnt review my statements thoroughly, Uber would have profited a substantial amount of money from me. They invoice, refund, refill, refund, refill refill. I caught one transaction I was charged in the end for 3 times. I dont know if they are intentionally stealing, or their antiquated system cant figure things out, but I wont take a chance anymore. These multiple billings happened more than once to me. And I know from others I have spoken to, there are many more of us who can vent about our frustrations. It won't let me leave zero or negative stars

JZ Lisle, IL

A few years ago, Uber was reasonably priced and reliable. Now they are neither. I was in Chicago and searched on Uber to see what the cost of a ride to my destination would be. Though it was unreasonably high based on my experience with Uber months before, I decided to go with it since I was in a hurry. About 2 minutes later I went to book the ride and it was $10 more. I felt I had no choice so I booked it. For no reason or explanation, the driver cancelled my ride 2 minutes before she was to pick me up – I had already waited 12 minutes for her to arrive. I was in a rush so I hailed a cab. To my surprise, the cab’s cost was 50% LESS than Uber. Over the past 30 days 2 of my children and 2 friends had the same experience as me – high cost and last-minute cancellations. If you book an Uber and get screwed it’s your fault after reading this and other similar reviews.

Steve Ashby Portland, OR

I'm a big fan of Uber. I've used the service in several different countries and had great experiences. I used it in Brazil for about 6 months almost every day when I was on assignment from work. Several times I had to track down a lost phone or bag and was very pleased with getting things back quickly.

Scott A. Johnson Orem, UT

Uber is frequently cheaper than a cab, plus you are usually supporting an entrepreneur rather than a major company. Drivers are local and so they know the area and can navigate to your desired location. The app is easy to use and convenient. They have multiple car levels and a few people can share one car. Just confirm the driver and license plate as many scammers are out their.

BROOKE SUMMERS Nashville, TN

Uber seems to be pretty great although I think people who are riders need to turn on their location that way the Uber drivers have an exact location even if you put in a different pick-up location the driver will know exactly where you are on arrival instead of going to the wrong address I've had this issue several times being a driver for Uber also so if they happen to put in the wrong address the driver can contact them and pick them up in a timely manner. I too have also felt uncomfortable getting an Uber driver that does not speak English and then it makes it hard to get where I need to go when they don't understand. Maybe the driver should have to get those portable translators that you can get online they're kind of expensive but they might actually work to help the Uber driver and the Uber Riders to have a better experience

Jen Paxman Lehi, UT

I was recently in Chicago with some friends, and that was my first experience using Uber. It was so convenient. The app was easy to use and there were always cars in the area for quick pickup. I was impressed with the drivers. They were always kind and professional. I have heard of other ride share apps but I will stay with Uber because first impressions are everything.

taismine joseph Tallahassee, FL

Safest taxi company I have known so far. Great customer service.

Shannon Biassou Tallahassee, FL

Uber is a great way to get rides when you need it. It can however be a bit pricey.

DyevencaM Tallahassee, FL

Excellent car service that gets people to point A and point B quickly.

Linda Walker

If I could I'd give Uber a zero!!! Today was my first & last experience w/Uber. It was arranged thru our mechanic shop for a ride home & back again. Ride home was what we expected. But pick up to return for our vehicle was a frustrating & terrible experience. I will never pay w/my money for Uber sevice.

seanth57 Columbus, GA

My family has been using Uber, regularly, we know they are on time, and reliable, the prices are reasonable with good drivers.

Me Winter Haven, FL

#1 I don't like the fact you cannot call a support line and speak with someone( they tell you to go to your app under the help option on your app and there would be a blue phone or an option to speak with someone..... On my end there is not. I spoke with a chris via web chat... He has to be a robot he never answered any question... My question is.. is there anyone I can personally speak to and not a computer? I uber to go to work(mind you it's a half a mile from my house( I can't walk that distance because I have a heart condition and neuropathy. My strength needs saved for work to pay bills). The past few weeks I've had nothing but trouble either uber has no driver and I can pay $30- $46 to go a half a mile( I've even done it at least 2 hours in advance.) I tip EVERY TIME. If they find me someone they don't know where they are going to get to me (or it showed a driver was on there way to get me... He got further and further away until I messaged him and asked for someone else. They found someone that could be toe in 35 minutes mind you I requested a ride prior and with the new driver it would put me 20minutes late to work. I cancelled and just walked to work and was still charged for a ride I did not receive... Or should I say a cancellation fee.

Miriam Timmer-Hackert Iowa City, IA

So I wanted to drive for Uber, but someone hacked into my account, recorded a huge tip, then cashed it all out. I asked Uber for help, concerned someone was money laundering or using stolen credit cards that now had my name associated with it. I could not get a response from Uber until they just closed my account stating I had violated the terms of service. I reported this to my local police and they said they weren’t surprised I couldn’t get help from Uber, they have a reputation as not being helpful to law enforcement apparently. So that’s crazy. I understand it’s a handy platform and I enjoyed driving for Lyft for awhile but avoid driving for Uber if you can.

Lindsay Dee North Vancouver, BC

I was charged for a ride I didn’t take and when I messaged them to request a reversal of the charge (because their setup does not allow for telephone contact) I was told they wouldn’t be looking into it. I was checking fares in my area and did not hit “confirm” on any of the rides offered because the fares had more than doubled in a matter of minutes. My husband drove me in our family car to my destination and because I ended up where I planned to go, Uber would not believe I hadn’t accepted a ride, even though a simple check of the purported driver’s locations vs mine that evening would not have had overlap. Uber carried on, gaslighting me, apologizing that “someone else” had accessed my account and had taken my ride (???!), and refused to investigate or consider issuing a refund. They are a nightmare to deal with so if you choose to use them, pray you never have an issue because they will not help you.

CoasterRider Show Low, AZ

Uber is a fantastic service for those like me who need a ride to or from the airport on occasion or around towns I am visiting. The drivers were always friendly and the vehicles were clean and comfortable.

Stephanie Byrd Miami, FL

I Uber everywhere! Uber is a super reliable transportation service. I have always had a friendly and time efficient driver. Despite misconceptions about transportation services Uber is safe and allows you to share your trip stays with your loved ones! Amazing !!