Founded in March 2009, Uber is one of the big names in the new field of peer-to-peer ride-sharing. With an easy-to-use app and huge coverage areas, Uber allows users to get a ride at any time with a few clicks on a smartphone.

Uber has grown to offer services throughout the United States and in 58 countries worldwide, helping to change the way we view the ride-sharing business model. It also has fed the craving for customized service that is so prevalent today.

Below, we look at some of the main concerns about Uber’s ride-sharing services, including price, speed, safety, and user-friendliness. Keep reading for pros and cons, plus Uber reviews from real customers.

#1 Turo chevron_right
4.1
#2 Enterprise CarShare chevron_right
3.7

The Good

• Availability
  • Price Estimates
  • Usability

Availability

Uber is undoubtedly one of the most widespread ride-sharing services, meaning that users can rely on Uber offers in more locations than other services. Uber is available in 58 countries and more than 260 US cities. Additionally, that the mobile app is easy to use, and riders have more control over the type and size of vehicle that picks them up. Here is a breakdown of different fare options:

• uberBLACK: Private high-end black car rides for 1-4 passengers, with professional drivers.
  • uberPOOL: Uber's carpool matching option. You can carpool with other riders going in the same direction for a cheaper fare.
  • uberSELECT: Private high-end luxury rides for 1 to 4 passengers with high-rated drivers.
  • uberSUV: Private luxury SUV rides with professional drivers for up to 6 people.
  • uberTAXI: Private rides in local taxi cabs.
  • uberX: Private rides for 1-4 passengers in a comfortable sedan. The basic Uber ride option.
  • uberXL: Private SUV or van rides for up to 6 passengers.
  • uberWAV: Private rides in wheel-chair accessible vehicles with drivers who are certified to safely assist people with disabilities. Currently testing in Chicago, Washington DC, New York City, and Philadelphia.

Price Estimates

While prices fluctuate by location, time, and car preference, Uber always allows you to get price estimates before you commit to your trip. These estimates are based on the expected time and distance of your ride. Tipping is also available through the app, but there is no required tipping fee. On average, the cost to use a basic car (UberX) is as follows:

• Cost per mile of $1.48
  • Min. Ride fee of $1.70
  • Safe Rides Fee of $1.00
  • Cancellation fee of $10

Usability

Uber is designed for usability. Since reservations, ride information, payment, and reviews are all in the app, riders have a hassle-free experience. Additionally, the app now offers a "Split Fare" option, making riding with others easy. To use Uber, download the app on your device and register. After registration, simply open the app and enter in your destination to request a ride. Users can also choose their preferred driver and car. When a driver arrives, users will get a notification on their device. After the ride, pay in-app and review the experience. On average, Uber riders wait 4 minutes and 16 seconds for their driver to pick them up. When reserving a ride, users receive an Estimated Time of Arrival for their convenience. Uber has a reasonable wait time (an average of about four minutes) and all payment, driver rating, etc. is available through the app. With such convenience, it's no wonder more and more people are choosing Uber over traditional taxicab services.

The Bad

• Surge Pricing
  • Independent Contractors

Surge Pricing

Of course, with the good comes some bad. Uber is notorious for their surge pricing, which raises the fare for rides at certain times of the day or during periods of high demand. While this is good for Uber drivers, who are independent contractors, it can be inconvenient for riders looking for a cheap lift.

Independent Contractors

There have been riders who have complained about their driver and their qualifications. It is also important to remember that users have the ability to rate and view the ratings of their drivers. As of Spring 2016, all drivers were independent contractors rather than direct employees. As such, Uber reviews applicants for the following:

• DUI or other drug related driving violations or severe infractions
  • History of reckless driving
  • Fatal accidents
  • Sexual offenses
  • Violent crimes
  • Hit and runs
  • Resisting or evading arrest
  • Gun related violations
  • Driving without insurance or suspended license charge in the past 3 years

During the screening process, the following tools are used:

• National Sex Offender Registry screen
  • Social Security Trace (a lifetime-long record)
  • County courthouse records going back 7 years for every county of residence
  • Federal courthouse records going back 7 years
  • Multi-State Criminal Database going back 7 years
  • Motor Vehicle Records (past and present)

The Bottom Line

Whether you live in one of the cities Uber covers or you are just visiting, you can enjoy fast pick-up times and cheap rates.

The widespread availability and the customizable user experience have helped the Uber app to become one of the big names in ridesharing, offering customers an alternative to the pricey and inconvenient taxi industry. Users can choose a ride that emphasizes their needs: number of seats, cheaper price, or luxury experience.

View Best Car Sharing Companies

taleb awad
August 20th, 2019 DETAILS

We experienced an awful organized crime (with gun shooting threats and robbing) that happened to us while riding the uber service during our visit to South Africa. We ordered an uber from our hotel to “catch a meeting” in the airport at on 31st-07-2019 at 14:48hrs, 1- half way to our destination on the highway a civilian car drove beside us and asked the uber driver to pull over 2- the uber driver parked aside 3- three gunned men came out of their vehicle and approached our car 4- Searched the glove compartment and the car trunk but they surprised that we have no luggage “because they expected that we are leaving the country so we will have all the belongings and won’t even have time to report the incident to the police because we will have a flight that we would rather catch” 5- The approached our windows and threatened to shoot us if we didn’t give up all we have 6- They took 800USD and left away Having the above said, we consider uber solely responsible for this incident as we were under their chastity and they should have their safety and security measures and standards which shall compensate us for the risk and terrible experience we had and the money we lost but they have not done any action so far although we have reported to them the full details. We are currently back to Dubai/UAE and we trust in your international neutral standard when it comes to life treats and peoples’ safety in taking the issue up with them Please find attached the police reports and the uber trip details

Christine Curcio
August 13th, 2019 Casselberry, FL DETAILS

Let's talk about how badly Uber sucks Lyft is so much better. It'll say one price and then you look at your account information and all of a sudden your ride that you just took went up 60-something signs a dollar something you write them and they go around the question and don't even answer you correctly it's like pulling a tooth from a lion trying to get a reimbursement from them or a credit out of them they're very quick to charge a cancellation fee even if it's not your fault or your cancellation which is like $5.75 or something like that the app lags a lot it'll say that your ride is 9 minutes away and it'll stay like that and I'll come out of the app and go back in and it'll still say 9 minutes away but in fact the drivers really like 2 minutes away and then boom you get hit with a cancellation fee because you're not expecting the car to be there yet or it'll send it to a house around the corner from your actual address and then hit you with the cancellation fee if you live in a complex perfect example this morning I got 50% off of my rides because I take it a lot cuz I needed to get back and forth to work and my ride said it was going to be $3.68 but when I look at my credit statement and my Uber receipt on the account on the app it says my ride was $4 in 40 something cents so where did the extra something cents come in Supply that I wasn't aware of that you charged me anyway not to mention the app said my driver was 2 minutes away for 15 whole minutes which made me late for work I try to write about it and they go around the question and they say we're sorry for what has happened and that they're working on the problem and hopefully my next experience is better and that's it no compensation no credit for their mess up no reimbursement as if I charge them a cancellation fee of $5.75 nope totally unsatisfactory the other day I had a uber Rider and the smell in her car was so strong that it was turning my stomach I put up with it for as long as I could stand it and then I open the window and I said I'm sorry I need to open the window and she said always there a problem and I said I can't take the smell in the car it's too strong for me and she said oh what's the smell and I said it's like a menthol and she said oh perfect and then had an attitude the rest of the ride and was talking on the phone with whoever called her throughout the whole ride and this is supposed to be okay

Tracy Womack
August 8th, 2019 Cedar City, UT DETAILS

I love Uber! It is so easy to use and they have the best car sharing service out there.

Emma Jimenez
July 25th, 2019 Austin, TX DETAILS

I needed an emergency ride at 12am and for my surprise i never really used uber and they literally got to place in 5 minutes. I haven't been able to ride because my license has expired, but knowing that I can rely on Uber its awesome.

Micael James Pontillo
July 22nd, 2019 Atlanta, GA DETAILS

The app has double charged me multiple times (twice), and I don't find out until I see my bank statements at the end of the month. Really annoying since it isn't detected by their system, and if I don't reach out then nothing really happens.

Mazi Marcel Womack
July 22nd, 2019 Cedar City, UT DETAILS

I love using Uber. It is so easy to use with the app and the drivers are always so professional

Keeli Hansen
July 15th, 2019 San Jose, CA DETAILS

Uber is a great service that takes you almost anywhere. They arrive right at your doorstep in no time

Ursula
July 11th, 2019 Chula Vista, CA DETAILS

We really like Uber but don’t ever leave anything behind in the drivers car you will never see it again . . . . .and it is impossible to get in touch with anybody to help you , customer service does not exist,

Haley Baldwin
July 10th, 2019 DETAILS

Uber has been a life saver. I thought it only worked in the US, but I’ve been out of country for the summer and it works awesome here. It’s one of the cheapest ways to get around and it’s so easy to use!

Josie and Gordon Buck
July 8th, 2019 DETAILS

We wanted everyone to know what happened to us in New Orleans With Uber, and they did nothing about it . We went on vacation to New Orleans to take a cruise. We arrived the day before, The suggestion from our travel agent, just to make sure that nothing went wrong.
We are new to Uber and our ride from the Comfort Inn Suites at the New Orleans airport to the Port of New Orleans on Feb 7 was the first time using Uber.  This was at the suggestion of the Comfort Inn Suite and we were happy with the service that was provided to the Port of New Orleans. Mileage of 14.34 and drive time of 36 minutes as recorded with a value of $21.78. On our travel from the Best Western Plus on St Charles Ave to the Louis Armstrong airport on Feb 19 was a total of 15.77 miles and a trip time of 31 minutes and with a fare charge of (adjusted by Uber from $44.11) $39.07 is still $17.29 more than our first ride with only a difference of 1.43 miles and 5 minutes.

It took two weeks to get a response back from Uber. This is unprofessional.  We had explained in detail on the cost of all three of our trips with Uber, and the last trip, we where over charged, due to the driver taking a longer route. Plus the driver was on the phone with his wife when driving.  In Louisiana, law prohibits talking on your phone while driving, that is called "Distracted Driving" and the driver put us in harms way and insurance companies like to hear about this when it comes to distracted drivers.

We said that I will call both Hotels, and complain, we also said that I will get a hold of Uber Head Office, plus go on social media, and do a negative review, plus do a negative review on the Uber app.  My husband and I are very upset on how this has been handled, with the Uber company in New Orleans to a point that they stop returning emails, even with the Uber app.

That is a very expensive 1.43 miles and 5 minute ride. The first refund proposed by Uber was $.29 we find to be a joke and totally inadequate and we were hoping that Uber would reconsider a more substantial refund.  They have refunded us so far around $10.  When checking the distance to the airport it should’ve been $28.00.  Since then we have not heard from Uber. Specially with the last email asking for the email for head office.

So we are done with the games, will be posting this note on all social media to let everybody know be aware of Uber ripping customers off and for their safety. Plus we will also be placing this on the website of the hotels that we were staying at.

This could’ve been prevented if they communicated with us and reimbursed us the difference which they did not I guess money is more important than having a customer base. Josie and Gordon

David Shore
July 8th, 2019 DETAILS

Used the order in advance service yesterday for a short trip from my hotel in Miami to the airport, was given a price of $88.99, I set the pick up time for 5am to get me to the airport. When I got out at the airport, I was charged $173 by Uber, what a rip off. Don’t use the Uber advance service, they just use it to gouge you on price, without any warning, used Lyft at LAX today, checked the Uber price and it was far more expensive, will be using Lyft in future.

Robert
July 8th, 2019 Brookhaven, PA DETAILS

Customer service is absolutely terrible. I have recently been locked out due to some background check. In the middle of a fair mind you. I recently relocated to a different state and have a different drivers license. The old state drivers license was still active in my account but due to it no longer being a valid license, and I supplied the new one, the background check failed and now I have to wait 7-15 days for a resolution.

Chloe Adams
July 2nd, 2019 Morgan, UT DETAILS

I use Uber daily. The new app is clean, the drivers are better, and the communication is great. One thing I’d like to see on Uber is a translator because most of the time I don’t speak the same language as my driver.

Braden Stanko
June 27th, 2019 Smithfield, UT DETAILS

Great business! Easy and efficient. Doesn’t cost an arm and a leg to get around. Drivers are nice. Just always make sure you are with the right driver. And in the right car

Ben Crisp
June 27th, 2019 Temecula, CA DETAILS

Uber is so convenient and I love it. It makes getting around so easy and cheap. Even when I’m traveling to other countries Uber is always just the best option to go with.

Jason
June 24th, 2019 Draper, UT DETAILS

I feel like Uber is my go-to transportation. I use it all the time and I like how the rating system works.

Shanae Boully
June 24th, 2019 Kaysville, UT DETAILS

I have used Uber a couple times and everything went well. I have not had any issues.

Courtney Eames
June 24th, 2019 Kaysville, UT DETAILS

Uber is a great way to get around for super cheap. I love that Uber cars are nice and you always feel safe.

Tammy
June 21st, 2019 Midway, GA DETAILS

I think that You uber needs to tell the Ryder not only with Uber is charging but what their paying Uber driver that's from my experience I'm short trips Uber charges us $6.15as a minimum charge and only pays the driver $2.62Uber's and then tonight on a long ride it took 1 hour and was 46 miles long and they charged a $10surge fee total for Ryder was $84 and Uber driver. 49dollars Uber made $30 and off the ride how are they suppose 2know what 2tip if they think we making all that money

Kaitlin Ashcroft
June 20th, 2019 Mesa, AZ DETAILS

I have used uber in the weekends and have loved it. It’s so nice not worrying about driving and being able to go from one place to another quick and not worry about parking. I have always had great experiences with Uber.

Tracy Hill
June 20th, 2019 Draper, UT

I love using Uber because they are easier to take than taxis and I like that you pay before you get in. I also like the rating system

Rachel Ellsworth
June 19th, 2019 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

Uber is definitely a great way to get around. It is super cheap, super easy, and very safe! I have used Uber in multiple states and even used it numerous times while I am living in the Dominican Republic for the summer. It is safe, affordable, and reliable all over the world!

Jennifer
June 18th, 2019 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

I can’t say enough good things about Uber. I’ve used their service in California, London and Paris. Never had any trouble with them and their drivers have been polite and helpful.

Ken Francis
June 11th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

I appreciate how easy it is to use this service. They charged me $20 for me being 5 minutes late for my ride. Pretty frustrating. I didn't get a notice beforehand at all.

Sierra Beck
June 10th, 2019 Herriman, UT DETAILS

I just used Uber for the first time while on vacation in the Dominican Republic and I have been very impressed. The app is very easy to use and my favorite part when getting then Uber is how much information they give you about the car and the driver because it is easier to stay safe when you know exactly what the car should look like. I also like the set price determined before the ride.

Isaac
June 10th, 2019 Kaysville, UT DETAILS

On my last vacation I was in a different county and it said there was Uber close I could use but the app kept not working which meant we couldn’t find a driver and so we had to use the taxis there.

Megan trauba
June 10th, 2019 Draper, UT DETAILS

I don't have my own car, so I've used Uber a lot and it's been really helpful. It's so much cheaper than taxis are and the cars are usually really nice and clean.

Rebecca
June 10th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

So easy to use. The drivers have always been kind and helpful when I am in a new city.

Kyle Gardner
June 10th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

Uber is one of the safest methods of travel when traveling in Buenos Aires, especially at night. When I was a missionary for my church there, my family came to visit and we wanted to visit some people in some less safe non-touristy areas. Americans are a big target for robbing in these areas, so I recommend uber, even though it is more expensive than other travel methods like the bus.

Brenda
June 10th, 2019 Spanish Fork, UT DETAILS

I haven't found anything exceptional about Uber. They seem to be a little more expensive than Lyft. Other than that they get me to where I need to go and the drivers are always friendly.

Anne Sainsbury
June 10th, 2019 Payson, UT DETAILS

Uber was amazing! I was visiting Denver for a business conference and didn't know my way around, so I downloaded the Uber app and used it to get around! Great price, and great drivers, great service! Love it!

Kimberly LeBaron
June 6th, 2019 Delta, UT DETAILS

Uber is so handy to have. It’s way cheaper than taxis, and available pretty much everywhere I’ve been. Reviews keep both drivers and passengers accountable, so I’ve always felt safe. Easy app to use as well.

Grant Lofgreen
June 5th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

Uber always is there when I need it. More drivers would always be appreciated but the idea works great and is very helpful. Paying automatically through the phone is very handy.

Beth Farmer
June 4th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Overall, I thought the app was pretty easy to use and self-explanatory. But, the driver took way longer to arrive than the estimated time. I don't know if this is the app's fault or the driver's fault but it was very frustrating. I have avoided Uber since then because my first experience wasn't great. The driver was nice and safe, but not apologetic about being late.

Amy Farmer
June 4th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

Uber is awesome! I think they offer a good service for a reasonable price. I just wish they had an option to cancel your ride without charge if it’s done within a reasonable amount of time from ordering it, like maybe 5 minutes or something.

Alicia Roddin
June 4th, 2019 Sandy, UT DETAILS

Uber has been very helpful to use while traveling. Straightforward to figure out their app and how the service works. I have had mostly good experiences with the drivers.

Rylie Crandall
June 3rd, 2019 Draper, UT DETAILS

I only use Uber when I am traveling abroad because it tends to be cheaper than taxis and other forms of transportation in the places I’ve travelled. I am always pleased with them

Nicole LeBaron
June 3rd, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

I love Uber! Currently I’m currently living abroad and don’t have a car and Uber has been the cheapest way to get around for me. It has saved me a lot of money!

Jeremy
June 3rd, 2019 Springville, UT DETAILS

All drivers I have used thus far have been great. Most are friendly and chat with you while you ride.

Brittany Bray
May 31st, 2019 Springville, UT

Uber has saved me from time to time. It’s so nice in vacation we don’t have to rent a car . Such an amazing service!

Jeff
May 31st, 2019 Vancouver, WA

First time Rider On May 17 2019 I set up a ride in advance for May 22 2019 For a pick up for my wife and I to go to the Airport for vacation. I logged in the morning of our departure saw it was scheduled for pick window 4:30 to 4:45. I saw a Uber car on the map just down the street from us. At 4:25 I looked again and saw it was canceled. I got on and scheduled another pick up and it sent a message pick up scheduled. I waited 10 min logged on to see the status it was also canceled. It was now 4:45 I had to call a friend to come and take us to the air port. Running late put a stress on the beginning of what should have been a stress free vacation. I will never use Uber again. Waiting to cancel a pickup just 5 minutes before pick up time very unprofessional. I will go back to using CABS!!

Claudia Soto
May 31st, 2019 Park City, UT DETAILS

Uber is a great service! I never have issues requesting a ride or getting in contact with a driver. The price is set and the route given, which takes away the stress from hiring general taxi companies. Uber is my go-to form of transportation when travelling.

Jaylene
May 31st, 2019 Holcomb, NY DETAILS

Uber is a lifesaver, and that’s just a fact. Being that I am a lifelong world traveler, I have had many encounters with getting trapped in situations with no ride. Uber has saved me countless times. It’s very easy to navigate the app, and my drivers always arrive promptly. This driving service is very reliable, I’ve never had a bad encounter with an Uber driver. In addition to that, the cost of Uber is usually very cheap!! It is always cheaper than a taxi.

Michael Perez
May 30th, 2019 Glenshaw, PA DETAILS

I've yet to have a bad experience with Uber. My drivers are always courteous, on time, and good at reading if I'm in the mood to talk or not. Some days you just don't want to talk to people and it's nice that they don't push it on you.

Bridget
May 29th, 2019 Egg Harbor, NJ DETAILS

I booked an Uber hours before I needed to go to work. They never showed up. Most unprofessional business I’ve ever encountered. Will never book an Uber again.

Sarah
May 29th, 2019 Kaysville, UT DETAILS

I was so scared to use Uber for the first time. But I did it and it was great and way cheaper than a taxi and the driver was nice and communicated well.

Alyssa skinner
May 28th, 2019 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

I’ve used Uber multiple times and have always had a good experience. My drivers has always been good and I never felt unsafe. Will be using them again!

Naomi
May 28th, 2019 Colorado Springs, CO DETAILS

I love taking Ubers when I travel. They are a terrific app for getting you where you need to go if you don't have access to your own vehicle.

Jacob Shaner
May 28th, 2019 DETAILS

I have used Uber a lot when traveling. There have always been friendly, prompt drivers and I have wanted to give them a tip. So I did! I also like that they just have a sticker instead of a glowing sign like Lyft on the car. The app is straightforward and easy to use. Highly recommend. My payments have always been processwd correctly.

Stephanie
May 17th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

I have used Uber many times and everytime has been a great experience. I like not having to worry about finding ways around when I am out of town. Try Uber if you haven't.