Uber Logo

7.1

LAST UPDATED: January 26th, 2022

Founded in March 2009, Uber is one of the big names in the new field of peer-to-peer ride-sharing. With an easy-to-use app and huge coverage areas, Uber allows users to get a ride at any time with a few clicks on a smartphone.

Uber has grown to offer services throughout the United States and in 58 countries worldwide, helping to change the way we view the ride-sharing business model. It also has fed the craving for customized service that is so prevalent today.

Below, we look at some of the main concerns about Uber’s ride-sharing services, including price, speed, safety, and user-friendliness. Keep reading for pros and cons, plus Uber reviews from real customers.

Lyft Logo
#2 Lyft chevron_right
4.0
Turo Logo
#3 Turo chevron_right
3.9

The Good

• Availability
  • Price Estimates
  • Usability

Availability

Uber is undoubtedly one of the most widespread ride-sharing services, meaning that users can rely on Uber offers in more locations than other services. Uber is available in 58 countries and more than 260 US cities. Additionally, that the mobile app is easy to use, and riders have more control over the type and size of vehicle that picks them up. Here is a breakdown of different fare options:

• uberBLACK: Private high-end black car rides for 1-4 passengers, with professional drivers.
  • uberPOOL: Uber's carpool matching option. You can carpool with other riders going in the same direction for a cheaper fare.
  • uberSELECT: Private high-end luxury rides for 1 to 4 passengers with high-rated drivers.
  • uberSUV: Private luxury SUV rides with professional drivers for up to 6 people.
  • uberTAXI: Private rides in local taxi cabs.
  • uberX: Private rides for 1-4 passengers in a comfortable sedan. The basic Uber ride option.
  • uberXL: Private SUV or van rides for up to 6 passengers.
  • uberWAV: Private rides in wheel-chair accessible vehicles with drivers who are certified to safely assist people with disabilities. Currently testing in Chicago, Washington DC, New York City, and Philadelphia.

Price Estimates

While prices fluctuate by location, time, and car preference, Uber always allows you to get price estimates before you commit to your trip. These estimates are based on the expected time and distance of your ride. Tipping is also available through the app, but there is no required tipping fee. On average, the cost to use a basic car (UberX) is as follows:

• Cost per mile of $1.48
  • Min. Ride fee of $1.70
  • Safe Rides Fee of $1.00
  • Cancellation fee of $10

Usability

Uber is designed for usability. Since reservations, ride information, payment, and reviews are all in the app, riders have a hassle-free experience. Additionally, the app now offers a "Split Fare" option, making riding with others easy. To use Uber, download the app on your device and register. After registration, simply open the app and enter in your destination to request a ride. Users can also choose their preferred driver and car. When a driver arrives, users will get a notification on their device. After the ride, pay in-app and review the experience. On average, Uber riders wait 4 minutes and 16 seconds for their driver to pick them up. When reserving a ride, users receive an Estimated Time of Arrival for their convenience. Uber has a reasonable wait time (an average of about four minutes) and all payment, driver rating, etc. is available through the app. With such convenience, it's no wonder more and more people are choosing Uber over traditional taxicab services.

The Bad

• Surge Pricing
  • Independent Contractors

Surge Pricing

Of course, with the good comes some bad. Uber is notorious for their surge pricing, which raises the fare for rides at certain times of the day or during periods of high demand. While this is good for Uber drivers, who are independent contractors, it can be inconvenient for riders looking for a cheap lift.

Independent Contractors

There have been riders who have complained about their driver and their qualifications. It is also important to remember that users have the ability to rate and view the ratings of their drivers. As of Spring 2016, all drivers were independent contractors rather than direct employees. As such, Uber reviews applicants for the following:

• DUI or other drug related driving violations or severe infractions
  • History of reckless driving
  • Fatal accidents
  • Sexual offenses
  • Violent crimes
  • Hit and runs
  • Resisting or evading arrest
  • Gun related violations
  • Driving without insurance or suspended license charge in the past 3 years

During the screening process, the following tools are used:

• National Sex Offender Registry screen
  • Social Security Trace (a lifetime-long record)
  • County courthouse records going back 7 years for every county of residence
  • Federal courthouse records going back 7 years
  • Multi-State Criminal Database going back 7 years
  • Motor Vehicle Records (past and present)

The Bottom Line

Whether you live in one of the cities Uber covers or you are just visiting, you can enjoy fast pick-up times and cheap rates.

The widespread availability and the customizable user experience have helped the Uber app to become one of the big names in ridesharing, offering customers an alternative to the pricey and inconvenient taxi industry. Users can choose a ride that emphasizes their needs: number of seats, cheaper price, or luxury experience.

View Best Car Sharing Companies

Brent Thurgood Spanish Fork, UT

I have not been one to use a ride service before but my wife and I decided to take an Uber from the Orange County airport to our hotel. It was so convenient to be picked up and dropped off right at the door. I didn't miss the car rental lines.

Bryan Peterson Herriman, UT

Getting an Uber is super simple! Download the app, create and account, request a ride! I love being able to share the ride cost with others, and the drivers have all been great! I love that you know the cost of your trip before you go

M. Nielsen South Bend, IN

Had an issue with someone stealing my paypal payment information and setting up an account with Uber in their own name using my bank account. I tried to contact someone at UBER. They do not have a customer service dept or anyone that you can talk to period. These crooks used my acct to purchase over $100 in Uber eats and rides, If it is happening to me its happening to others . I just wanted to give them all the info I had so that they could investigate. Obviously they only care about the mighty $ and not their reputation as a company. I reached out thru their Facebook as well , they have scripted auto responses that never led to a human. Just be aware they don't really care

Ceri Marie Day Plano, TX

We only had one bad experience where the car that came couldn't fit us and all our luggage from the airport. We still got charged a fee. Cars coming to airports should expect luggage.

Heather Riverton, UT

I had a great experience with Uber. They came right away when I needed the ride. The driver was very friendly and a safe driver. They got me where I needed to go on time.

Brian Cowley Riverton, UT

Uber is more expensive, however they seem to a better instant ride network. Was able to get a driver at the end of a game when I couldn't get anything from the companies. And the drivers have always been nice.

Laurel Dalton West Jordan, UT

I used Uber when in Arizona while traveling on a business trip. We used Uber a few times at the beginning of the trip and found it to be useful, but after a few days, it was made evident that Lyft was better at accommodating our large group and also had a lower price. I would highly recommend Uber for smaller groups, however.

Noa Ranoa Vista, CA

Incredible. The app and service is always incredible. I've had one driver cancel on me, but all the other times have been great. The app is fast and works 24/7. That's what it takes for me to LIKE you.... speed and it works.

Terrah Anderson Herriman, UT

Super helpful for getting around Boston on our mother-daughter trip. Especially liked being able to schedule rides ahead of time.

Shopman Herriman, UT

Most of my experiences with Uber have been good. A couple have left me feeling nervous for my safety. I like how quickly I can be picked up and the options for choosing a ride that is right for me.

Kaylee Gay Chicago, IL

I love how convenient Uber is because you can get around to different places and not even rent a car. As well as they are always going throughout all hours of the night, which means that you aren't limited on when you need to get back. However, your overall experience really depends on the driver. Some drivers are absolutely amazing and go above and beyond, but other times they can be rude. However Uber overall is a good company to use to get around.

keiontai henry Tallahassee, FL

I love using uber when I am in a rush and need a reliable ride, recently my roommates and I have been sharing transportation and whenever I need to get to work, I know I ca find a friendly and reliable driver within 15 minutes.

Morgan Elijah Tallahassee, FL

I think that overall I have had positive experiences with uber, I love the mask policy that requires both passengers and uber drivers to wear their masks. This gives me a wonderful peace of mind that I am safe while traveling. I do think that background checks should be required because as a woman uber can be scary especially when you are by yourself.

Gaju Shrestha Provo, UT

Has used Uber service few times. Most of the drivers were very friendly and made my travel very comfortable and enjoying.

22 hours ago

Brett Los Angeles, CA

I enjoy this service. Always have been reliable even I’ve used it. Sometimes can be expensive but usually worth the free extra dollars

Pat McMullin South Jordan, UT

Responsive and friendly drivers, however some cars are not the cleanest and some drivers are a little scary with their driving

Luke M Herriman, UT

Uber is super convenient when you need to get somewhere. You can just use the app and a ride will come very quickly.

Glenn Dalton Salt Lake City, UT

only used service once but my driver was late, dirty car and marginal personal grooming. Probably a good service and the price was reasonable but I'd only use it in an emergency going forward.

Noureddine Lalami Brentwood, CA

Pros: quick and easy to use. Available around the world. Cons: a bit expensive. Also, Uber seems to sometimes have a bad reputation in the way it treats its people.

me burch Columbia, SC

Uber rides left me high and driver all the way across USA when my SON was dying. ph app used many times with Uber gift card cash properly loaded in wallet. Wallet shows $141 balance. tried using in Colorado only to be told INVALID payment. This was CRISIS situation where Uber had an epic fail. Now with funeral coming up, I did a one block test today. Wallet still has $141 in it and yet still INVALID payment method! Wont trust uber for the funeral. Have successfully used Uber with wallet gift cards in CT, SC, FL this is NOT a user error. I won't post my email or phone, don't want everyone to have them. So Uber, the "brain trust" of rides find my account by the balance in wallet of $141.64 and then send it by check and USPS. I'm not giving Uber my bank acct or credit card numbers, that is why I buy gift cards. If there ever was an email and/or password I don't have it, and have no idea what it could be, check 2 email accounts -nothing. account since 2018 or before.

Hijah Smith Tallahassee, FL

I love that Uber is easy and quick to use, especially when you need to get a ride somewhere. My friends and I have always used Uber to travel, and it has been nothing but a good experience.

Anoushka Ahuja Berlin, CT

Very reliable even though I called for it at 4:00 am uber showed up

Emily Guareno Tallahassee, FL

Very reliable car sharing app. Lets you know the license plate of the car, so one does not get confused and get in any random car. They try to be as safe as possible. Only bad thing, the prices fluctuate a lot, especially on big holidays or events.

Hailee Coleman Columbia, MO

Living in a college town with many trips to the bar is the reason Uber is fantastic. Most of the drivers are friendly and genuinely want the best for you in the experience. The only reason I gave 4 stars instead of 5 is because sometimes, the prices are way too high for me. However, that is understandable because it depends on the amount of Uber drivers in the area as well as the amount of online traffic Uber is experiencing at the time.

roberto arcia Columbia, MO

I have been using Uber for over five years now. They are a great option to get from place A to place B, while not having to worry about your personal vehicle in the process. They have short wait times and always arrive on time. I will continue to use Uber in the near future as they are such an inexpensive option for ride-sharing.

J B Sandy, UT

Uber cured me from Taxi use. I love the app, easy to use, and they're everywhere.

Jec Canby, OR

I've only used it once, while out of town. It took me a while to figure out how it worked so it was actually the second time I tried that I used it. It was a great option when the bus we'd arrived on never showed up for our return trip. The driver was very nice.

Zariah Tallahassee, FL

Uber has always provided me with a great driver to take me to and from areas around the city, especially since I am a college student and I don’t have my vehicle. My drivers were all safe.

Sierra Thomas Tallahassee, FL

At times they can be pricey but they always come in handy. The service is good and the drivers are skilled and usually have great communication. They come quickly and have drivers out almost at all times in the day which is great.

LBurr96 Salt Lake City, UT

They have gotten to a lot of places that I need to be and I have met a lot of interesting people.

SG Herriman, UT

Easy to get a ride but a little confusing now with all the different ride options.

Amy N Sandy, UT

It's so convenient to use Uber while traveling in unfamiliar cities.

Lori Thurgoood Spanish Fork, UT

We have used Uber a couple of times and loved it! very convenient

Jeff Thurgood Draper, UT

It's amazing how much prices fluctuate. It's impossible to plan when they change so drastically in the same location.

Ramona Kiffing Chapel Hill, NC

The variety of options Uber offers its customers has always been appealing to me. However, the application is beginning to become expensive.

rohanna meikle Tallahassee, FL

I have an excellent experience with Uber . I love Uber!! The customer service team is helpful and the app is good qaulity.

Aiyana Brown Tallahassee, FL

As someone who is currently without a car, Uber has been my best friend in this first year of college. The only think is that after a while it does get a bit pricey but for its convenience I think it makes up for it.

LeAnn Baytown, TX

I used Uber in Houston to go from our hotel to the Astros game. The driver showed up in timely manner and was very nice. He also offered us bottled water, which was awesome in this Houston heat. I will totally use Uber again. We actually saved $15 by not having to park at the game! Yeah!

Melissa Castillo Baytown, TX

I've always had a good experience with Uber. I use it mostly when traveling and staying in larger cities when I need transportation. I find it to be a safe, reliable source of travel when I don't have my own vehicle.

Andriana Cesaire Tallahassee, FL

Uber is a safe and cost efficient choice, especially for a college student. I also like that I can split up the fare for the ride easily through the app. Communication through the app to the driver is very user friendly.

Makayla Holland Gaithersburg, MD

My experience with Uber was great you make the account they gives you amazing deals, we you type in you destination you automatically get an Uber and they are never that far away. The service is always good, the prices are always good.

Devin McClellan Eagle Mountain, UT

This is so much better than getting a taxi.

emblair Herriman, UT

Great drivers and great service. Thanks, Uber!

Beverly Ramsey ID

In Australia we ordered an Uber and were charged twice the going rate. We were very disappointed and have lack of trust now.

Holly Parrish Atlanta, GA

Uber is very reliable and always arrives with 3-5 minutes at the most. The majority of the drivers are all long time Uber drivers and drive full time. They know their way around town. Uber also has expanded features for safety and even the famous UberEats food delivery options as well. Overall Uber is the best service provider on a consistent basis. I am a full time user if rideshare services and public transit. I have used both Uber & Lyft almost daily for the past 18 months since I made the decision to give up personal car ownership due to the massive traffic issueswithin my city of Atlanta.

Ryan Pleasant Grove, UT

I had a great experience with Uber. Last Spring my wife and I traveled to Europe. For the last two days of the trip we were in Amsterdam without a rental car. I had heard about Uber and decided now would be the perfect time to test it. Everything worked great. The drivers all spoke English and were very kind. The app is amazing! It shows in real time how close the driver is so you know exactly when they will arrive. It has you submit your credit card information when you launch the app. This makes payment seamless. Once the ride is over, it automatically pays the driver for you. The app also makes the drivers very competitive. The higher their score (rated by customers) the more likely people will use them. Because of this, we had drivers offer us water, help with everything, etc... It was super fun!

Danielle Luma Tallahassee, FL

Uber used to be one of my favorite transportation apps, but I noticed that I would get fraudulent activity from outside of the country through this app. Also, the rates have gone up a significant amount even for short rides.

Kayla M. Tallahassee, FL

Uber has become a little bit costly, but I have never had issues with the drivers and I can get from point A to point B without issues

Luke Swierczynski Troy, MI

Would give a higher score but in my area it's next to impossible to find one unless I schedule it multiple days in advance. Even then they've been unable to find drivers before.

Rose Chevelon Tallahassee, FL

Uber is such an amazing app whenever it comes to me needing a ride. The people driving me are so friendly and no issues at all with them.