Uber

Uber Logo

Uber

Hail a ride with this ride-sharing company available in 260+ U.S. cities, with options for nearly everyone

Founded in March 2009, Uber is one of the big names in the new field of peer-to-peer ride-sharing. With an easy-to-use app and huge coverage areas, Uber allows users to get a ride at any time with a few clicks on a smartphone.

Uber has grown to offer services throughout the United States and in 58 countries worldwide, helping to change the way we view the ride-sharing business model. It also has fed the craving for customized service that is so prevalent today.

Below, we look at some of the main concerns about Uber’s ride-sharing services, including price, speed, safety, and user-friendliness. Keep reading for pros and cons, plus Uber reviews from real customers.

View Best Car Sharing Companies

The Good

• Availability
  • Price Estimates
  • Usability

Availability

Uber is undoubtedly one of the most widespread ride-sharing services, meaning that users can rely on Uber offers in more locations than other services. Uber is available in 58 countries and more than 260 US cities. Additionally, that the mobile app is easy to use, and riders have more control over the type and size of vehicle that picks them up. Here is a breakdown of different fare options:

• uberBLACK: Private high-end black car rides for 1-4 passengers, with professional drivers.
  • uberPOOL: Uber's carpool matching option. You can carpool with other riders going in the same direction for a cheaper fare.
  • uberSELECT: Private high-end luxury rides for 1 to 4 passengers with high-rated drivers.
  • uberSUV: Private luxury SUV rides with professional drivers for up to 6 people.
  • uberTAXI: Private rides in local taxi cabs.
  • uberX: Private rides for 1-4 passengers in a comfortable sedan. The basic Uber ride option.
  • uberXL: Private SUV or van rides for up to 6 passengers.
  • uberWAV: Private rides in wheel-chair accessible vehicles with drivers who are certified to safely assist people with disabilities. Currently testing in Chicago, Washington DC, New York City, and Philadelphia.

Price Estimates

While prices fluctuate by location, time, and car preference, Uber always allows you to get price estimates before you commit to your trip. These estimates are based on the expected time and distance of your ride. Tipping is also available through the app, but there is no required tipping fee. On average, the cost to use a basic car (UberX) is as follows:

• Cost per mile of $1.48
  • Min. Ride fee of $1.70
  • Safe Rides Fee of $1.00
  • Cancellation fee of $10

Usability

Uber is designed for usability. Since reservations, ride information, payment, and reviews are all in the app, riders have a hassle-free experience. Additionally, the app now offers a "Split Fare" option, making riding with others easy. To use Uber, download the app on your device and register. After registration, simply open the app and enter in your destination to request a ride. Users can also choose their preferred driver and car. When a driver arrives, users will get a notification on their device. After the ride, pay in-app and review the experience. On average, Uber riders wait 4 minutes and 16 seconds for their driver to pick them up. When reserving a ride, users receive an Estimated Time of Arrival for their convenience. Uber has a reasonable wait time (an average of about four minutes) and all payment, driver rating, etc. is available through the app. With such convenience, it's no wonder more and more people are choosing Uber over traditional taxicab services.

The Bad

• Surge Pricing
  • Independent Contractors

Surge Pricing

Of course, with the good comes some bad. Uber is notorious for their surge pricing, which raises the fare for rides at certain times of the day or during periods of high demand. While this is good for Uber drivers, who are independent contractors, it can be inconvenient for riders looking for a cheap lift.

Independent Contractors

There have been riders who have complained about their driver and their qualifications. It is also important to remember that users have the ability to rate and view the ratings of their drivers. As of Spring 2016, all drivers were independent contractors rather than direct employees. As such, Uber reviews applicants for the following:

• DUI or other drug related driving violations or severe infractions
  • History of reckless driving
  • Fatal accidents
  • Sexual offenses
  • Violent crimes
  • Hit and runs
  • Resisting or evading arrest
  • Gun related violations
  • Driving without insurance or suspended license charge in the past 3 years

During the screening process, the following tools are used:

• National Sex Offender Registry screen
  • Social Security Trace (a lifetime-long record)
  • County courthouse records going back 7 years for every county of residence
  • Federal courthouse records going back 7 years
  • Multi-State Criminal Database going back 7 years
  • Motor Vehicle Records (past and present)

The Bottom Line

Whether you live in one of the cities Uber covers or you are just visiting, you can enjoy fast pick-up times and cheap rates.

The widespread availability and the customizable user experience have helped the Uber app to become one of the big names in ridesharing, offering customers an alternative to the pricey and inconvenient taxi industry. Users can choose a ride that emphasizes their needs: number of seats, cheaper price, or luxury experience.

View Best Car Sharing Companies

Stephanie
May 17th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

I have used Uber many times and everytime has been a great experience. I like not having to worry about finding ways around when I am out of town. Try Uber if you haven't.

Allyce Jones
May 17th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I only use Uber when I travel and it has been safe and effective every time. The drivers that I have all been with are positive and make you feel comfortable. The cost is cheaper then taxi's and is easier to get one with a simple app on your phone. This is the only way to travel without a rental car.

Scott
May 15th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

Uber is the ONLY ride sharing service I will use. Uber makes it so easy to get around when you are out of town or just in a bind locally. The price is great and it is so convenient to use. Uber has done a great job keeping their drivers happy which makes it a better experience for the user.

Karrie
May 15th, 2019 Ogden, UT DETAILS

Uber has always been a great option for me and my family when we are in need of a random ride. We have used Uber to avoid parking at events and airport visits. I will continue to use Uber for the convenience and the quality of drivers we have had.

Craig
May 15th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

I love Uber! Everytime I am out of town on business I use Uber multiple times a day. I have always had a great experience with the drivers and results. The prices are low compared to cabs and it is a much better experience!

Mallory
May 14th, 2019 Mesa, AZ DETAILS

My car came quickly and my driver was respectful and helpful. The car was clean and neat.

Jeremy
May 14th, 2019 Mesa, AZ DETAILS

A solid service that doesn’t have any issues due to carefully made and executed policy.

Dean
May 14th, 2019 Ogden, UT DETAILS

I have used Uber many times and I have had a couple bad experiences but that was due more to the drivers than actually being a problem of Uber. The app is great and pick up times are very reliable. I still use them after those couple bad experiences so that has to say something about Uber.

Jennifer
May 13th, 2019 Ogden, UT DETAILS

I love Uber!!! Whenever I am out of town I always you Uber to get around. I have found the drivers to be very knowledgeable and kind. I have yet to get a driver that I don't like and I have used the service many times. If you haven't used Uber do yourself a favor and check them out!!

Rita B
May 9th, 2019 DETAILS

I’ve been using uber for a year now and since then I have I’ve seen a steady decline in the quality of drivers, hidden fees (upfront pricing is a thing of the past), redundant promotions, and cut&paste customer service. Was very loyal customer and advocate but my last trip experience on May 8, 2019 with über and their customer service was the last straw. Save yourself the headaches and use a different ride share - you’ll be contesting every trip with über.

Reese
May 9th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Used Uber on my last business trip and they are a very good price, quick and easy to come to me and their app is easy to use. very professional and easy to use.

Ashley
May 7th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

My first experience was this year in Denver Colorado using Uber. I cannot believe I have never used this service before. The cars were always clean and the drivers friendly. It was easy using the App and I even received discounts that week trying Ubereats because I used Uber. My life has changed forever!! I felt totally safe and stress free getting to my appointments on time. It was hassle free and very inexpensive.

J N
May 7th, 2019 Chappaqua, NY DETAILS

An Uber driver picked me up at Yankee Stadium last night to take me to Westchester. The app showed a fare of $119. When I got to my destination, the fare was over $400. Uber said this was because it was a time of hwavy traffic - which it was - but the ride still was only an hour. Uber reduced fare by 25% but still seeks to charge me 2X what the app said. Class action coming...

Rob Whipple
May 6th, 2019 Mesa, AZ DETAILS

Just starting to use this service. It is nice to be able to watch the progress of my car coming and have detailed info about the car and driver before I get in. Nice to be able to pay through my phone and not have to exchange any money directly.

Calista Huber
May 6th, 2019 Mesa, AZ DETAILS

My mom and I used an Uber two different times while we were traveling and it was interesting! One driver was so kind and quiet and one driver was chatty and had been up all day and night driving. He was addicted to doing "just one more ride" and honestly I was worried we'd crash! But overall, Uber service was nice and easy to use!

Shannon Ramay
April 24th, 2019 Las Vegas, NV DETAILS

My cars in the shop but i still needed to take my daughter to school and i have to work. i scheduled for a ride the night before for the next morning. However, when you schedule for a ride, you can't add stops. Although, the app does say just to tell the driver where u want to go. So i did! The driver wasn't as friendly or talkative.I wanted to go to McD's before dropping off my daughter so she could have breakfast. All he told me was i had to put in the locations myself. So he says OK. Then we drop off my daughter at her school. I still needed to head home but still needed water and food for later. So i ask him to drive me to the closest gas station. He then finally says I had to put it in, OK. If i had known that was going to be last stop, i would have said take me home from there but he just OK. at the gas station he said this is where you're last stop is? Yet, the app said i still had one more stop, but every time i tried to put in my home address it said error sorry try again. The app is useless to add stops while in the car. Or for scheduled rides with multiple stops. there was no one to contact customer service- very easily. So he dumped me at the gas station. i contacted their competitor lyft, who are more friendly and communicative and who will put in stops on their end. who help people when they are scared and don't do this kind of thing!

Kristina Freytiz-Collazo
April 23rd, 2019 Reading, PA DETAILS

They charged me and the Uber driver never showed up ! He cancelled my ride when he was 2 minutes away now I reached out to Uber the guy said he’s going to transfer me to the riders team but never did instead he stayed quite (I could hear the other people in the background talking) and then hung up when I kept saying hello . Now they say they have no number for that department when I called back . I am extremely upset ! I never had an issue before this but this is crazy ! Just give me my money back . I guess I will need to switch to lift .

Abby Driggs
March 28th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

Great customer service. Drivers are very quick to pick you up when you request it because it is based off who is closest to your area. The app is also super helpful and makes it easy to track how far away your driver is.

Mimi Jones
March 28th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

Uber has saved my life. They are on time and affordable. I can trust their drivers. I love how I also need to be accountable so that I can have a good customer rating. I think this is a genius company and I want to continue supporting them.

Brett Wonsch
March 22nd, 2019 Quincy, FL DETAILS

I wish there was a way to give zero stars times infinity who charges someone's card twice for 37.87 equaling up to 75 and some change and cant find them a ride yet you took the money and we the customer can't get in touch with anyone because there are no phone numbers to call and now I have to wait a week to get my money back and I'm still out 200 because I can't get to my car rental screw uber you suck

Lauren
March 13th, 2019 Greenville, NC DETAILS

I have used Uber for years now and never had any problem until last week. I was charged an absurd amount of money for cleaning, and they were not even able to back up these charges when asked for the reasoning. I would much rather talk to someone on the phone and get things figured out, but they do not even have a customer service number. They will only talk to you via the app. No company should be allowed to charge ridiculous amounts of money without giving the ability to deny the charges. Switching to Lyft.

LaWanda
February 26th, 2019 Albany, NY DETAILS

I have driven for Uber and I've been a customer. As a customer I found that Uber was charging me a late fee when the Uber app told the driver that I was at a different location. The drivers were being told to stop around the corner from my actual house. When I contacted Uber I was told that I couldn't get the late fees back that I has been charged. I will use Lyft from now on, at least their GPS is correct.

wayne sanders
February 13th, 2019 Valley Center, CA DETAILS

car sharing is convenient because the times that I have used it I was able to access a car at anytime, not just business hours. I have also found that car sharing is a bit more economical for me rather that renting a car. often I have only needed the car for a limited time frame so its nice to only pay for that time. I have also shared with a fellow employee and other than adding just a few minutes extra to drop my co-worker off on the way to my location it was very convenient for both of us and saved us each a few dollars.

Michelle De Oliveira
February 13th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

I have not had much luck with Uber. Their employees always seem to be in a bad mood and hate their job. I try to avoid using them if I can and prefer to use other options if available. They are in more areas of the world though, so that makes them more convenient in that regards.

Londyn Berrett
February 13th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

We have used Uber while traveling in different parts of the US. The app is really easy to use. We always felt safe. It is very convenient and simple to use. Recommended!

Lexbigelow
February 13th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

I’ve used Uber in several states and have had great drivers and experiences over all.

Jonas De Olveira
February 13th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

I travel a lot for business and frequently use Uber to get to and from the airport. It is cheaper and easier than dealing with a car rental. There always seems to be an Uber within minutes of wherever I am, even when traveling out of the country. I would recommend using their services.

Christy Suguturaga
February 13th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

I can’t imagine life before Uber. It’s amazing. Anywhere you go, if you need a ride anywhere. It’s the best. Saves so much money and time and worry. Makes traveling less stressful. I really can’t remember what life was like without it. Safer for people who drink. Safer on the roads. I’ve told my kids if they ever need a ride out of a bad situation just call on Uber. Great peace of mind! Just great for everyone.

Anthony
February 13th, 2019 Lindon, UT DETAILS

Clean cars, friendly driver, and on time service are a few things that come to mind about my experience with Uber. I always use them when I’m traveling or as my second car. You can not go wrong with Uber.

Abigail De Oliveira
February 13th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

Uber was okay, I really liked Lyft better. They are kinder and also better drivers. The drivers seemed more like a new york taxi driver.

Jen Paxman
February 13th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS

I was recently in Chicago with some friends, and that was my first experience using Uber. It was so convenient. The app was easy to use and there were always cars in the area for quick pickup. I was impressed with the drivers. They were always kind and professional. I have heard of other ride share apps but I will stay with Uber because first impressions are everything.

Sarah Wright
February 12th, 2019 DETAILS

Uber was super easy to use and was more convenient than trying to get a cab. This is far better in todays world.

S Suguturaga
February 12th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

It was easy to sign up and I like the quick response to ride requests at any time of the day.

Noriko Johnson
February 12th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

When we went to NYC we got to use Uber. It was very convenient and made our travel nice and easy.The driver was very nice so I would use them again.

Nicole Garrett
February 12th, 2019 Lehi, UT

Some drivers are a little bizarre but I've had mostly good experiences using this service.

Nate
February 12th, 2019 American Fork, UT

Uber gets you where you need to go and is super useful while traveling or quick errands around town

Lindsey B
February 12th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

Reliable, easy to use and friendly drivers. That is what sums it up for me. I have always had a positive experience when it comes to dealing with Uber. The app is great and easy to navigate. Top notch service!

Katie Young
February 12th, 2019 Charlottesville, VA DETAILS

All my experiences with Uber have been great. The drivers know where they're going and are friendly with clean cars. Uber is always very slightly cheaper than Lyft in my current city.

JR Suguturaga
February 12th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

Easy to use and very convenient when you need to get places. Prices are comparable

Jenna Nakaahiki
February 12th, 2019 Kapaa, HI DETAILS

I use Uber all the time. It’s convenient. They arrived on time & driver was friendly.

James Larson
February 12th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

In general , I like Uber. Their prices go up and down a lot and there is no way to contact the home office (if they even have one). You have to pay when the drivers get their directions mixed up and take you to the wrong place. If YOU cancel, you get charged, but if the drivers don't show up, there is no recompense. Other than these problems, it works well.

Ericka Bergstrom
February 12th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS

Uber is awesome. Such a convenient mode of transportation while traveling and much cheaper than a taxi!

Cristiana
February 12th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

Uber changed my life. Before Uber we paid so much more for taxis and now we have affordable way. Uber is a brilliant idea I love to see how this changed so many life, people that were unemployment now have a job.

Brennan
February 12th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

I love Uber! I have used it many times and am happy everytime. The app is easy to use and the service is dependable. Drivers are kind and respectful and often help when you are from out of town. I would recommend using Uber to anyone in need.

Brandie Rudy
February 12th, 2019 West Jordan, UT DETAILS

Uber is a lifesaver. I use Uber whenever I travel to larger cities that I am unfamiliar with. My drivers are always courteous and respectful. I trust them to drive myself and my family and I have never been disappointed with the service or the cost of a trip.

Andrea
February 12th, 2019 Orangevale, CA DETAILS

Most of experience with Uber has been positive. I am disappointed that they can triple your rate after you are already riding in the car because of peak times. I had requested an Uber for $24 and was later charged $68 because of this.

Amanda Olsen
February 12th, 2019 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS

Great experience using Uber. The driver was there when expected and helpful with my luggage. Clean car and respectful driver. They were able to get me to my appointment t in a timely manner.

Alissa hill
February 11th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS

I think uber is so great. I use UBER Weekly. I have used it for rides to the Airport, rides home from late night parties and also to deliver my lunch. super reliabel and friendly drivers.

Tracey Hazel
February 11th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

We had the opportunity to use Uber while we were on a trip in Mexico! It was great having a reliable source of transportation in an area we weren’t super familiar with. I love that they continue to update features and safety items

Sophie
February 11th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

Good service with good drivers. Nicer than cabs and cab drivers. Good method of transportation.