Turo Logo

Key Details

• Airbnb Model for Car Rental
  • Availability in 300+ Airports and 4,500+ Cities
  • Rent a Unique Car from a Local Owner

Summary

Turo, formerly Relay Rides, is a peer-to-peer car sharing company that started in San Francisco, California in 2009. Similar to the Airbnb model, local car owners advertise and rent their vehicles to drivers who would prefer to avoid the standard rental car experience.

The company launched nationally in March of 2012 and is currently available in over 4,500 cities and over 300 airports throughout the United States. Turo is supported by top-tier investors, including August Capital, Google Ventures, Shasta Ventures, Canaan Partners, and Trinity Ventures.

Keep reading for the pros and cons of Turo car rental or skip to the Turo reviews from real customers.

Uber Logo
#3 Uber chevron_right
Lyft Logo
#4 Lyft chevron_right
4.0

The Good

• Variety of Vehicles Available
  • Simple Sharing Process
  • Rental Prices and Fees
  • Insurance Coverage

Variety of Vehicles Available

To cater to individual preferences, the company offers over 800 different car models to choose from. Renters can choose from cars, SUVs, minivans, trucks, convertibles, hybrids, and vans. One can also filter by rental period for long-term rentals, the vehicle make, features like all-wheel drives, and more.

Simple Sharing Process

Turo has an easy, user-friendly, and customizable rental sign-up. In order to sign up for car sharing, create a Turo account by simply signing in to your Facebook or email account.

The first time you sign up for a car, all you have to do is enter some general information, choose a car, rental date, and time. You can either decline additional insurance or purchase the Basic or Premium option, each with varying physical damage and liability protection.

In order to get the car and the keys, all the renter needs to do is meet the Turo host and show them their driver's license. Some owners will even deliver the car right to the renter. Returning the car is simple, as the renter just needs to return the car with a tank full of gas to where it was initially picked up.

Rental Prices and Fees

Turo rents vehicles priced approximately 35 percent lower than other car rental options. The price ranges depending on what car one gets. There is no membership fee and cars generally go for a flat rate of $40 per day.

In addition to rental fees, buyers may be charged fees for additional miles, parking tickets, and cleaning fees. To get the car's trip price, one must multiply the relevant trip rate advertised on the vehicle by the duration. There are also the following fees:

• Trip Fee — 10% of trip price
  • Protection Fee — varies by if one chooses a premium (40% of car's rate), basic (15% of car's rate), or the decline option
  • Young Driver Fee — 20% fee of the trip price for people under age 25
  • Delivery Fee — varies based on owner's settings
  • Airport Fee — 10% fee of trip price if the rented vehicle is involved in the Turo Airport Lot program

It should also be noted that payment information, including debit card and credit card payments, is made through the Turo app or website, not the rental host.

Insurance Coverage

With Turo, there are private and commercial hosts. When it comes to Turo's insurance, owners can either use Turo's policies or decline coverage to be eligible for a commercial, third-party insurance policy.

When owners decline Turo's insurance coverage, they are considered a Commercial Host. As such, they must have their commercial rental insurance policy verified by Turo prior to renting any of their vehicles.

Turo's originally offered three different tiers of protection for owners to choose from. The Premium, Standard, and Basic plans (available before July 1, 2020). All three plans came with $1 million in liability coverage and physical damage protection that covers the value of the car, up to $125,000. From there, the plans differ in host deductible, cost, and other amenities.

As of July 1, 2020 Turo offers five vehicle protection plans: the 60 Plan, 70 Plan, 75 Plan, 80 Plan, and the 85 Plan.

All five plans provide up to $750,000 in third-party liability insurance (offered by Liberty Mutual) and varying levels of contractual reimbursement (reflected in the plan names) from Turo for physical damage and theft. However, bear in mind that the level of available reimbursement will vary depending on the chosen plan.

We recommend consumers thoroughly read Turo's detailed terms and conditions for more information regarding Turo's car insurance.

Guest Protection

Just as you would when you rent a car with other rental car companies, before you complete your booking, you have to choose which protection plan you want for your trip.

If you choose a commercial host, then the host will provide you with options. None of the guest plans cover mechanical or interior damage.

If you already have personal insurance, Turo's coverage will supplement your existing coverage. Policies differ in the amount of liability insurance, deductible payment required, and damage protection. We recommend you refer to the company's website for detailed information on each plan.

The Bad

• Car Retrieval
  • Variable Restrictions
  • Availability Limitations
  • Caring for the Car

Car Retrieval

Since Turo does not operate with clients out of a specific agency, it utilizes car owners that do not use their cars on an everyday basis. Renters must meet the car owner personally in order to pick up the car. Renters may have to go out of their way to retrieve the car if there is not a Turo already at the airport.

Additionally, each renter must show the car owner his or her driver's license, which does have personal information that people may not feel comfortable sharing with a random person.

Variable Restrictions

Since Turo does not own the cars, rules and regulations are inconsistent. Some owners allow renters to drive 200 miles a day, while others allow only 100. Each owner has his or her own set of restrictions, so Turo does not have an overall list of rules for the available cars.

Availability Limitations

Turo does not offer cars in New York. People under 21 years of age cannot rent a car, and people under age 25 have to pay additional fees.

In fact, people under 25 may need to demonstrate at least two years of current U.S. licensed driving history, and potentially can only rent out certain cars because they are considered "high-risk."

Caring for the Car

One thing that is different about the Turo experience is that guests are expected to care for the car as if it were their own. So, if the exterior of the car is significantly dirtier or if it has junk food crumbles inside from a road trip, you have to take it through a car wash and vacuum it out before returning it. If not, you may be charged a cleaning fee between $30 and $250. This is a big difference between standard car rental companies and renting a car with Turo.

The Bottom Line

Travelers who want a cheap or out-of-the-ordinary rental vehicle will be satisfied with Turo's offerings. Users can choose the car model, location, and Turo host.

Finding a unique rental vehicle, on the low or high-end is made easier through Turo's growing community, where owners can use this portal to the sharing economy to make some extra money.

However, keep in mind that service is not available in New York or to potential customers under age 21, and people under age 25 must pay extra fees while renting.

Have you used Turo? Would you recommend it to a friend? Let us know by leaving a review below.

View Best Car Sharing Companies

4.0

Vishnu Rajan Jersey City, NJ

As a host (renter), renting out on Turo is profitable ONLY if you know the ropes - only rent out an old low value car. There are many hidden costs to renting out, especially the fact that Turo insurance comes with fine print - all plans except the '60' plan are only good as catastrophic insurance. They don't reimburse you if the guest dents your car or causes scratches smaller than 3 inches. A renter returned my car with 10-20 scratches (each about 0.5 inches), and Turo refused to compensate me for the significant cost to repair ($3000?) because each gash was less than 3 inches! Not worth the $100 I earned for the trip, not to mention the time spent cleaning the car, and inspecting it etc. So it's only worth listing an old $4,000 value car.

juan esteban galindo Herndon, VA

you guys should allow people over 18 years old to rent out cars or what's the point of having a license? very disappointed with your policies and as I customer I wouldn't rent a car on the platform knowing that not all adults can use it.

porter Davis, CA

I had an issue telling the app I was returning a car early. After speaking to a rep on the phone who assured me I would get my 110$ refund, I found no such refund had arrived. After getting in touch with multiple chat reps, none of whom had any knowledge of what I had told another, they informed me that I was not going to get a refund because my host had denied that I returned early. When I left a review for my trip explaining all of this on the Turo site, it stayed up for about a day before the company deleted it. So beware if a driver has more "trips" than reviews, it could be that the company just deleted any bad ones to save face

Keri Christensen Washington, DC

Extremely poor customer experience from phone support and host. Hosts car was damaged prior to our rental date and they asked us to swap to another car. Ended up costing us over 60 dollars more which wasn’t disclosed up front. They did the run around of ‘the host needs to fix it call them’ and ‘turo needs to fix it call them’. After over three hours of trying we gave up but we’ll never rent from this company or host again-buyer beware. After over a year of successfully renting from them multiple times they didn’t even offer a good faith credit for a future rental. We’ll use Getaround from now on.

Michael Merolla Hawthorne, NJ

I am a host on Turo with 2 cars and >20 trips for the past few years. It's clear in several ways that Turo only looks to minimize their costs and risk at the expensive of their guests and hosts, particularly the hosts. They boast a few different insurance options for damage to the interior and exterior. I don't have experience with this. However, mechanical damage is much less secure. If the vehicle is a manual 'stick' transmission and a guest ruins a clutch (this happened), there are two options. All damage has to be declared within 24h of the trip. That means you have to take it to tow it to a mechanic and have them demonstrate that the last driver is at fault for the clutch failure, and then send this to Turo for them to approve the repair. They do *not* pay for the *whole* repair. They prorate their reimbursement based on miles on the clutch divided by 75 thousand miles, an arbitrary life they selected for the clutch. My car was about 35k so they would have paid half, at most, if I was lucky. If the clutch is > 5 years old, they don't pay *nothing*. I cannot post the link, however it's at the top when googling 'Turo clutch policy'. I fortunately dealt with someone that was responsible and offered to pay for the job on their own. I expect most individuals to be less decent about accepting responsibility for their damages. If other mechanical issues arise, there is little way to demonstrate that a guest directly caused the issue. Their insurance policies do not cover your mechanical issues. You will foot the bill. Their insurance policies are shady. The host can select any level of coverage, let's say a 'standard' policy, pays a 25% fee, has a $500 deductible and otherwise no out of pocket for interior / exterior collision damage. The guest also selects their level of coverage, (premium, standard, basic, or none). They may select none, which Turo suggests they have their own insurance. They do not need to demonstrate proof that they have valid car insurance, let alone one that covers damages for driving another vehicle. Additionally, the cost is much more expensive when selecting any insurance for the guest. Turo collects takes anywhere from 20-35% from the host and charges up to double to the guest for taking the highest insurance. I spoke with several people at Turo about this confusion in how hosts can choose one level and guests choose another, or none. They had no way of explaining the mixed liability of damages. They had no explanation for how they would hold someone responsible for damages in the event of a collision and they don't actually have car insurance, and much less the subsequent burden to the host. If you let your guest use your E-Zpass and submit the screenshot of your E-Zpass log as the proof to request reimbursement, they do not accept this. The proof needs to include the license plate, and not the E-Zpass tag which is what's listed on the E-Zpass log. You will get wronged out of toll reimbursements. Many other reviews include instances where damages were assessed based on a much lower vehicle value than KBB or other fair pricing, and thus reimbursement was a fraction of what was owed to the owner. There are several other reviews where drivers and hosts describe being wronged by Turo and losing significant amounts of money. If you are a host, you are taking on significant risk lending your vehicle. They attempt to cover most bases, but there are plenty of ways things go wrong and shirk responsibility and costs. When they know their acting according to their policy, they make no exceptions nor apologies for shifting the costs onto the owner.

KPT Irving, TX

Given that this was my first experience with Turo, I can’t compare it to much, but it was a terrible first experience. I left a review for the owner, and, I thought, a separate review for Turo, but here I go again in the hopes that someone will reach out to me this time. In short, here were my biggest issues: 1) The car was not ready when I arrived. Not only was it not ready, but it took 20 minutes to even get the owner to respond to me when I called/messaged that I was at the pickup spot. Pickup ended up being 40 minutes late because the car wasn’t clean (spoiler, it still wasn’t clean when I picked it up). 2) The car was dirty, and smelled like marijuana. Gross, and very uncool. 3) There were a few warning lights on in the vehicle. This gave the impression that the vehicle needed work or at least maintenance, and was potentially unsafe to drive. 4) When I arrived early for drop off (after being assured the owner would be home all evening), I once again COULD NOT GET AHOLD OF THE OWNER. My goodness. I called, I messaged, but nothing. In a final effort, my husband knocked on the door and delivered the keys. Overall, this was a very negative experience. The car was in bad shape, even had it not been dirty and smelly and maybe broken. It was not as pictured. More than that, the pickup and drop off experience was terrible. With the car not even being ready on time, I believe I should be entitled to a partial refund. The owner told me that would be up to Turo, so I’m hoping that someone will reach out to me before these owners receive all of the money for only doing part of the work on their end.

Benjamin Espinosa Denton, TX

I hear it's a great service, but I'll never know, because something in my picture of myself got my application revoked. I went through the checkout process before being told: "You are not approved You’re currently unable to rent cars on Turo. If you believe there has been an error, please contact customer support." So I contacted Support. They verified my identity by asking my name, date of birth, and email. They then said that my approval needed additional review. They told me they would need a picture of my driver's license, a picture of me holding my driver's license, 7 years of my driving history, and proof of insurance. I said the 7 years of history might take some time for me to get, and the agent told me not to worry about it for now, that we could start with just the pictures. When I'd uploaded the picture of myself and my ID, he told me that no other identification was needed, that he would start the approval process and that he could do it faster if we ended the chat and he emailed me in 10 - 20 minutes. I offered my proof of insurance as I had it ready to send and he said not to worry, that he had everything he needed. I never fully agreed to end the chat, but he did anyway. Almost immediately I was sent a message from the agent, saying: "Unfortunately, we’re not able to approve you to participate in the Turo marketplace. Please note that this is our final decision." I returned to customer support assuming there must have been some mistake, explaining that all I provided to them was a picture of my Driver's License (which they had the number of on file, already) and a picture of myself. Logically, if the issue was in information they had before (including my driver's license information), they didn't need anything new from me. If the issue was a lack of information, I was willing to provide whatever they needed. The only thing that had changed was a picture of myself and I didn't want to assume any kind of discrimination was going on. This, second, support agent gave me the run-around for a while, then tried to explain that my driver's license and the picture of me were to validate my identity, not to grant me approval. There are two problems with this explanation: 1) They didn't ask for them with the account verification information (my name and date of birth and email), they asked for it along with my driving history and proof of insurance (clearly needed approval information) 2) It directly contradicts the email I was sent, which says "We have carefully reviewed your account, along with the additional documentation you submitted." (the "documentation" in question is how they referred to the pictures I sent them)

Tina Lemay Leominster, MA

While most of the features are great, it wasn't user friendly. The app shut down on me every time I wanted to check in both of the vehicles I've rented. I was unable to upload the necessary photos. I had to email them to myself and upload from my laptop. Every time I tried to sign out of the app, to try to fix my problem, it required to send me a new code and to reset my password. On the desktop, there is not an easy place to LOG IN. I had to use a link through my email. It was very inconvenient for me. The actual pick up and drop off was easy and convenient, prices are fair, but that was the ONLY positive part of my 2 Turo experiences.

Ron F. Sarasota, FL

The price was right ,but not worth the aggravation Took over 30 minutes to get picked up from airport. Took over 30 minutes to get back to airport after dropping off car. Finding the car was an adventure.The inside of the car was a joke. Torn seat covers etc. The instructions for all things related to the rental were sketchy. Having to take 8-10 pix of the inside and outside of the car in the rain was a royal PIA. Hidden charges applied at conclusion of rental. Customer service was zero when I complained and in fact when the Turo representative(Michael) in Phila. became aware of my negative review, he told me he wrote a negative review about me. Another joke. NEVER AGAIN. PAY THE EXTRA MONEY.

Bryan Portland, OR

Turo was a total hassle in every way! From the insane signup process ripe with fraud opportunities to the arbitrary designation of vehicles and the vetting process of what vehicles you are allowed to rent. The support and live chat is absolutely terrible. The only way I was able to get answers was to message the CEO via LinkedIn. The cars are cool, but there is no way to tell the condition. I rented a Jaguar F-Type R Convertible, which was 3 years old and was $130k when new, I paid $1150 for the rental and the car was completely falling apart. Even guests at the hotel made comments about the poor condition, it was Incredibly embarrassing. I doubt I will use Turo again. And I don’t recommend you do either!

Ryan New York, NY

I chose turo because i had a great experience the first time i used it. the owner met me at arrivals with the car and i drove off. very easy and seemed to be the whole reason to use turo. no waiting, no hertz desk etc. this time with turo was not a good experience. i was charged a 120 dollar "delivery fee", but nothing was delivered to me. instead i had to take an uber to a parking lot where there was a turo "outdoor office". this then turned into your typical experience with budget, avis etc. except it was out side in a parking lot. i had to wait 45 minutes to get help as there was a long line of people waiting for their cars. then they were unable to find my car. they eventually did find it, but overall the experience was not good. then i called turo customer service and the representative deflected most responsibility to the 3rd part that ran the kiosk and the car owner. classic startup story - "were not responsible". won't be using turo again and will not recommend it again. thanks ryan

Kai Wang Richmond, VA

This is my third time using Turo. And the first time that an accident has happened. It was a hit and run in the parking lot where the rental car was lightly scratched up. There is a very low level of support from Turo in this scenario. I felt vulnerable and not protected as a customer. I have yet to speak to a human being, except receiving documents of policies and an invoice for repair. People often say you can tell the true character of someone in the worst of times. I believe I have seen that with Turo in this scenario, and it deters me to use the service in the future. When it comes to monetary and/or properties, you should not take them lightly, and Turo does not seem to be doing enough to make you feel secured during the experience.

Sabrina Haroon Niles, IL

My first time using turo and it was ok. The customer service is HORRIBLE! you can’t ever get anyone in the phone and the live chat is useless and their email response time is the worst. I input all the data in my reservation and entered all the details including driver details and license details and when the booking was made everything was wrong. The driver info was not correct it defaulted to my name when it was all my husbands info... the pick up and drop off also defaulted to something different. Even the amount charged should the amount without the $25 first time credit. It was frustrating to see all these mistakes and for 5 days nobody was able to correct it. On top of all that, customer service was requesting really shady things like me holding up my drivers license to my face and asking to see a physical pic of my credit card. Really weird just to simply switch primary driver info. Rental went well overall but turo itself was problematic.

nate stein Minneapolis, MN

It would have been nice to know more details. The car was owned by a dog owner and was covered in dog hair, so everything we wore was to, made valentines dinner a little less romantic finding dog hair transfer from clothes to food. Also the windshield had a giant crack in it, which meant the car was illegal to drive so we didn't drive it as much as we would have.

Allison Atlanta, GA

Horrible! I paid for a car for one week turo canceled at the last minute and said I needed to do a verification. I had to send in pictures of myself and my aunt holding the credit card and DL since it was her card from 09:00 until now 11:16 pm I went back and forth with different people on a chat and kept giving me the run around my first and last time ever using them!

Kent Charette Bellingham, WA

First the car I rented wasn't available the day of my arrival, called Turo to get my car replaced and waited on hold for almost 40 minutes then I was disconnected and no one called me back. Was forced to rent a car I didn't want because I couldn't wait any longer for Turo to try and get me a replacement. Supposedly I was told I would get a 25% refund and still have not seen that from the guy who I rented the card from and Turo was suppose to give me a 50 credit I havn't seen yet either.

Misha

I love the idea of doing everything on the app. My frustration was that when the a/c in the car didn't work, I took it back. It worked for all of 10 minutes and then it stopped again. By that time, I had to leave for work. There was no other car I could have and no one offered anything for the inconvenience. I feel like mechanical issues should be addressed before renting a vehicle to someone and if things happen, find a way to compensate renters for their trouble.

Thomas Ferrer Lawrenceville, GA

1st time using the app... The app must have changed my pick up / drop off address. I noticed 15 minutes before my time that I was 9 miles away from where the car was and ended up having to take a Lyft for $11.71... was not in my budget. The owner of the car said it would be $120 to change the location of the car drop off / pick up... He was nice, but I was not really satisfied by this experience.

Keval Patel Miami, FL

Very bad customer service. If you use your spouse’s credit card they put you in a 24 hour purgatory of verification even if it’s the same number as yours. Then I tried to pick up the car as a named second driver and would not give me the car even with owner approval. Cost me 125 for an Uber and now have to find a way to get a car tomorrow. Awful customer service

Grace Okhiulu Conyers, GA

The car owner I give a 10. Great guy with equally great cars and service from him. I'm a long-standing Turo customer with no issues nor have I had an accident or ticket in years. I have been very patient with their App malfunctions. So I did not appreciate them suddenly charging me $100 deposits for each trip. They have no respect for repeat business so I am taking my business elsewhere.

George C. Seattle, WA

Most of my experiences using Turo have been positive. That being said, my recent rental did not go well. The owner claimed damage to his vehicle, although photos indicated scratches were done prior to my rental. Turo didn’t even contact be to get my opinion; without advance notice, just 24 hours after my rental,Turo took almost 1K out of my bank account. Over inflated repair cost for damage I didn’t do. Someone is getting a kickback. They have lost a previously happy customer.

Christy Victoria BC

I personally will never use Turo again. It’s just the idea that you can book your car then your flights to that location and your hotels etc spend all that money for a vacation. Then all of a sudden the host canceled the vehicle !! Suddenly you have no vehicle and unlike a car rental there is no back up car. So you are scrambling trying to find a new vehicle!! By this time there are very few cars available to rent and the prices are crazy!! I will never take this risk again! I will stick with proper rental companies who won’t cancel on me .

Joshua Virkler Kissimmee, FL

I created an account on Turo, and rented a car. Several hours later I was notified by email that they had cancelled my reservation and closed my account. I wrote back and forth several times with them, and they refused to provide a reason or allow me to make any changes in order to comply with their secret policies. It took me a lot of correspondence with them, and asking to have my account reviewed by a manager, but finally I was able to submit additional verification of my identity and have my account reinstated.

Ty Williams Norwalk, CA

Turo is convenient & it's a good app to use in an emergency, however the fact that I only get a few miles on a 4 day trip is very inconvenient. I'm dissatisfied with the fact that I have to pay almost 200 for my current trip because they only gave me 300 miles on a 4day trip which is very stupid.

Toni Kansas City, MO

Y’all had me messed up. It took forever to get a call back from the escalation team. The experience show definitely be more flexible when it comes to pick up time. I shouldn’t be waiting around all day for a call back . We should definitely be beyond that.

Nickc Burbank, CA

It was good. Nothing spectacular. Car had the tags expired at the beginning of the year and thats also what the registration said. I let the owner know and he said someone stole the tags and I've got old paperwork. Who knows

Pierre Francois Methuen, MA

Not good, my first time using this app I got overcharged by a host for a sugar package and 4 post cards left in vehicle. I was charged a cleaning fee and charged for smoking that the host provided no proof of.

Zach grumet Denver, CO

I returned the car at 1pm rather then 12 and turo charged me $75 extra. I only paid $150 for the entire rental to begin with. Very unfair business practice, I will not be renting again!

Savagerh Love Tampa, FL

Bad Experience The Owner Of The Car Accused Me Of Smoking Because Of A Piece Of Black A Mild Paper Found Car Never Smelled Like Smoke But Still Gave Me A Smoking Fee

JR Irvine, CA

The app is great, except that it is hit or miss with the cars themselves. The car we rented was not maintained well and had several issues.

Gabriel morales Panorama City, CA

Do not rent cars that require Bluetooth if you need to take cars into areas with poor or no cell reception

Aliza Henline Provo, UT

I have never actually used this- but I didn't use it because the website was so confusing and I felt unable to use it! Wish it was a little easier!