Turo Logo

Key Details

• Airbnb Model for Car Rental
  • Availability in 300+ Airports and 4,500+ Cities
  • Rent a Unique Car from a Local Owner

Summary

Turo, formerly Relay Rides, is a peer-to-peer car sharing company that started in San Francisco, California in 2009. Similar to the Airbnb model, local car owners advertise and rent their vehicles to drivers who would prefer to avoid the standard rental car experience.

The company launched nationally in March of 2012 and is currently available in over 4,500 cities and over 300 airports throughout the United States. Turo is supported by top-tier investors, including August Capital, Google Ventures, Shasta Ventures, Canaan Partners, and Trinity Ventures.

Keep reading for the pros and cons of Turo car rental or skip to the Turo reviews from real customers.

Uber Logo
#3 Uber chevron_right
Lyft Logo
#4 Lyft chevron_right
4.0

The Good

• Variety of Vehicles Available
  • Simple Sharing Process
  • Rental Prices and Fees
  • Insurance Coverage

Variety of Vehicles Available

To cater to individual preferences, the company offers over 800 different car models to choose from. Renters can choose from cars, SUVs, minivans, trucks, convertibles, hybrids, and vans. One can also filter by rental period for long-term rentals, the vehicle make, features like all-wheel drives, and more.

Simple Sharing Process

Turo has an easy, user-friendly, and customizable rental sign-up. In order to sign up for car sharing, create a Turo account by simply signing in to your Facebook or email account.

The first time you sign up for a car, all you have to do is enter some general information, choose a car, rental date, and time. You can either decline additional insurance or purchase the Basic or Premium option, each with varying physical damage and liability protection.

In order to get the car and the keys, all the renter needs to do is meet the Turo host and show them their driver's license. Some owners will even deliver the car right to the renter. Returning the car is simple, as the renter just needs to return the car with a tank full of gas to where it was initially picked up.

Rental Prices and Fees

Turo rents vehicles priced approximately 35 percent lower than other car rental options. The price ranges depending on what car one gets. There is no membership fee and cars generally go for a flat rate of $40 per day.

In addition to rental fees, buyers may be charged fees for additional miles, parking tickets, and cleaning fees. To get the car's trip price, one must multiply the relevant trip rate advertised on the vehicle by the duration. There are also the following fees:

• Trip Fee — 10% of trip price
  • Protection Fee — varies by if one chooses a premium (40% of car's rate), basic (15% of car's rate), or the decline option
  • Young Driver Fee — 20% fee of the trip price for people under age 25
  • Delivery Fee — varies based on owner's settings
  • Airport Fee — 10% fee of trip price if the rented vehicle is involved in the Turo Airport Lot program

It should also be noted that payment information, including debit card and credit card payments, is made through the Turo app or website, not the rental host.

Insurance Coverage

With Turo, there are private and commercial hosts. When it comes to Turo's insurance, owners can either use Turo's policies or decline coverage to be eligible for a commercial, third-party insurance policy.

When owners decline Turo's insurance coverage, they are considered a Commercial Host. As such, they must have their commercial rental insurance policy verified by Turo prior to renting any of their vehicles.

Turo's originally offered three different tiers of protection for owners to choose from. The Premium, Standard, and Basic plans (available before July 1, 2020). All three plans came with $1 million in liability coverage and physical damage protection that covers the value of the car, up to $125,000. From there, the plans differ in host deductible, cost, and other amenities.

As of July 1, 2020 Turo offers five vehicle protection plans: the 60 Plan, 70 Plan, 75 Plan, 80 Plan, and the 85 Plan.

All five plans provide up to $750,000 in third-party liability insurance (offered by Liberty Mutual) and varying levels of contractual reimbursement (reflected in the plan names) from Turo for physical damage and theft. However, bear in mind that the level of available reimbursement will vary depending on the chosen plan.

We recommend consumers thoroughly read Turo's detailed terms and conditions for more information regarding Turo's car insurance.

Guest Protection

Just as you would when you rent a car with other rental car companies, before you complete your booking, you have to choose which protection plan you want for your trip.

If you choose a commercial host, then the host will provide you with options. None of the guest plans cover mechanical or interior damage.

If you already have personal insurance, Turo's coverage will supplement your existing coverage. Policies differ in the amount of liability insurance, deductible payment required, and damage protection. We recommend you refer to the company's website for detailed information on each plan.

The Bad

• Car Retrieval
  • Variable Restrictions
  • Availability Limitations
  • Caring for the Car

Car Retrieval

Since Turo does not operate with clients out of a specific agency, it utilizes car owners that do not use their cars on an everyday basis. Renters must meet the car owner personally in order to pick up the car. Renters may have to go out of their way to retrieve the car if there is not a Turo already at the airport.

Additionally, each renter must show the car owner his or her driver's license, which does have personal information that people may not feel comfortable sharing with a random person.

Variable Restrictions

Since Turo does not own the cars, rules and regulations are inconsistent. Some owners allow renters to drive 200 miles a day, while others allow only 100. Each owner has his or her own set of restrictions, so Turo does not have an overall list of rules for the available cars.

Availability Limitations

Turo does not offer cars in New York. People under 21 years of age cannot rent a car, and people under age 25 have to pay additional fees.

In fact, people under 25 may need to demonstrate at least two years of current U.S. licensed driving history, and potentially can only rent out certain cars because they are considered "high-risk."

Caring for the Car

One thing that is different about the Turo experience is that guests are expected to care for the car as if it were their own. So, if the exterior of the car is significantly dirtier or if it has junk food crumbles inside from a road trip, you have to take it through a car wash and vacuum it out before returning it. If not, you may be charged a cleaning fee between $30 and $250. This is a big difference between standard car rental companies and renting a car with Turo.

The Bottom Line

Travelers who want a cheap or out-of-the-ordinary rental vehicle will be satisfied with Turo's offerings. Users can choose the car model, location, and Turo host.

Finding a unique rental vehicle, on the low or high-end is made easier through Turo's growing community, where owners can use this portal to the sharing economy to make some extra money.

However, keep in mind that service is not available in New York or to potential customers under age 21, and people under age 25 must pay extra fees while renting.

Have you used Turo? Would you recommend it to a friend? Let us know by leaving a review below.

View Best Car Sharing Companies

4.0

Betty Mississauga, ON

First time trying to rent a car and get this message. I have good credit score, no accidents, no criminal past and still this crap and they say they don't give out any reason it's their authoritative right to say I am banned for life but no reason .. this is exactly communism mindset. Don't ever use them or support such people or companies "Thank you for your interest in Turo. Unfortunately, after reviewing your information, we have confirmed the decision to restrict your account. Turo considers many factors when determining eligibility and we reserve the right to undertake screenings, checks, and processes designed to help verify the identities and/or backgrounds of our Turo users. Although we do not disclose specific details of our internal review process, our decision to deactivate your account was based off one or more of the following: * Failed background screening * Risk flags triggered by Turo’s internal system * One or more motor vehicle record violations * Violation of Turo’s [Terms of Service] We wish you the best of luck in your endeavors, but this is a final decision on our part. Thank you again for your interest in Turo. Regards, Turo Verification Team"

Deb Hunter Seguin, TX

If I could give negative stars, I would, like 1,000. Horrible business. I created an account a few days ago, got a rental confirmed for the end of December and everything, even messaged with the host we were renting from and it was all set and no issues, then yesterday, I get a notification that one of my drivers was denied (no reason they should have been denied as they have a clean record, etc.). Not 20 minutes later, I got a notification that my account was banned and rental had been cancelled and no specific reasoning as to why this would happen. I've tried to call and email to get answers and keep getting the run around with generic answers and saying they can give specifics. That's a bunch of CRAP. So really what they are saying is they actually have no grounds for doing this AT ALL! I have a clear record, great credit, etc. I rent from rental car places as I travel for work a lot. At least I see that I am getting my full refund, but now I'm concerned that they have all my information and I feel like they could be potential scammers. Seems fishy, sneaky, underhanded and suspicious this would happen all of a sudden with no indication as to why. HORRIBLE business and we were even referred by someone who is a host. I hope they don't get scammed like us. No we are out a specific vehicle we needed to travel during a time frame it is hard to find something in general or even reasonably priced.

Mark Myland Orlando, FL

11/20/2021 - We have friends that use Turo when traveling. We decided to try it. My wife went on their website and reserved a Chevy SUV from Michael M in Tampa Florida. We live in San Diego. Got up at 3am to catch our flight, had a layover in Houston, got to Tampa at 6pm. My wife had been in contact with Michael a couple of times letting him know when we were going to be picking it up. The day we flew in, we could not get a hold of him. He did not answer our texts nor return our phone calls. It costs us $35 ($30 Lyft ride + $5 tip) to get from the airport to his place. He was nowhere to be found, it was now 7pm and it was not the safest neighborhood. If my wife were by herself, it would not have been a good situation. We called Turo, they couldn't get a hold of him and now we were at the mercy of the "Legit" car rental companies to hopefully get a rental. My wife called Lyft and back to the airport (another $35) we went. Was able to get a rental from Thrifty (BIG THANK YOU to THIRFTY) and headed to our hotel in Clearwater. Turo said they will reimburse us for the rental (really, I'd hope so, they were talking about giving us a credit for future rides, HAHAHAHA) and $50 more toward the Lyft charges. We wanted to leave a review about Michael M on their website so the next person would know, but there is NO place on the Turo website to do that. We even called Turo the next day inquiring how to warn others; we were told there is no way. Bottom Line: if you use Turo, you have no idea who you are actually renting from or what area you are going to be picking it up from or even if they are going to show. If it weren't for Thrifty we would have been in a real crisis; renting from Turo costs us two extra hours of an already long day and (as long as they follow through with reimbursements) $20 in Lyft charges (they would only reimburse $50).

Shannon Adkins Tampa, FL

Turo RENTER BEWARE! I rented a car 11/11/21 from Columbus OH. Got a flat due to debris on the road from an accident that had just happened on 11/11/21 South of Washington Court House on 71 South at 5:15pm The host was amazing the car was great the Corporate Company is AWFUL! Based out of California and their employees do not care that a family of 4 is sitting on the side of the highway in the rain for 3 1/2 hours it is not their problem! We finally found an amazing Tow Truck company to come help us and it was $556 I have tried for DAYS to get to speak to someone to be reimbursed, their solution it is the hosts problem go to the host! I paid for the additional insurance they do not care. The next person I spoke to said sorry the claim needed to be thru them the date of accident/damage I said I spoke to 5 people no one would help us his solution was go thru the host! AirBNB stands behind their Hosts and if an issue arises they take care of it Turo will not doesn't care. This company will not remain in business as I have since seen many complaints like mine! So RENTER BEWARE the Corporate Company will not help you at all.

Steve Dortch Bedford, TX

My host promised to refund one day’s rental due to a maintenance issue. After they didn’t do that, I contested the charge with my credit card. Turo notified me that was against their policies and suspended my account, even though there is clear evidence in my message thread with the host of the promised refund. I won the credit card dispute but still Turo won’t reinstate my account, Their business practices are very underhanded. I suggest avoiding renting from them at all costs.

Wendy Q San Carlos, CA

When we discovered on the last day of our trip that the insides of the two front tires on the car we had rented via Turo.com were bald with the steel belt showing, we felt thankful to still be here and couldn't believe we were in this situation. The host of the car had been on the Turo site for a long time and had rented his car out many times...maybe too many times. We drove over 1,000 miles on steep grade highways with limited shoulders to pull off onto and few guardrails for safety throughout the state of Colorado. We also took scenic byways with sheer drop-offs, such as the Million Dollar Highway. Our trip ended by rerouting to a larger highway in order to locate a tire store. Finally, 5 tire stores and half the day later, we spoke with the assistant manager of a Discount Tire store. He advised us that the two front tires could blow out at any time and that the two rear tires were in the red danger zone, according to Colorado state law. We were able to get in touch with the host who paid for 4 new tires to be installed right then. The host offered to give us a discount on our rental for our trouble, but did not. We contacted Turo, but their only offer was to give us a $50. credit toward our next rental on Turo.com, which we have no desire to do. It is clear to us that policy and regulations need a good makeover. Please be aware that each host on the Turo.com site operates independently and may or may not take the full responsibility of renting out their car to the public with the best safety precautions. Be smart, stay safe.

Rebecca Solheim Washington, DC

I would give Turo a zero if I could. Turo came highly recommended by one of my husband’s colleagues, so we decided to try it for a special wedding anniversary trip - renting a Jaguar convertible from Tampa airport and driving the Gulf Coast for five days. On the day of our flight in October 2021, we woke at 3.30am to head to the airport for our flight to Tampa, only to receive an email from our Turo “host” canceling the car at the last minute. PANIC! How to get ANY other car during Covid-era rental shortages at this late stage in Tampa to get to hotel #1 in St Pete’s and then on to the other hotels along the coast we had booked? So much for our vacation… Thankfully, after much stressful online searching and a few early-morning calls, traditional car-rental company Sixt (the BEST company, BTW) pulled through and found us a BMW 8 series convertible, so a better car and at roughly the same price as Turo, Turo did give us a full refund after leaving us totally stranded without the contracted car, but we will NEVER attempt to use Turo again…

Joel Hunter Kelowna, BC

The rental portion went well, fortunately I had a great car owner, very nice man. The problem arose when I had to claim on the insurance because while parked in a parking garage the vehicle next to me opened its door and scratched one panel. Turo charged $1500 to my credit card and won't answer emails, phone calls or messages. Even the owner of the vehicle agrees this is 4 x higher than it should be. Be warned turo claims department is terrible to deal with

Heather Welch Simpsonville, SC

I had an extremely unsettling experience my 1st time using Turo & will never attempt to use this service again. The couple I tried to book a car with advertised “unlimited miles.” Long story short, when they discovered I was renting a car to go from SC to Ohio, they attempted to charge me more. I simply told them no thanks, suggested they should not false advertise & wished them well. My message was that simple. They proceed to send me LONG messages, telling me no need to be rude, that it’s their car & they can do what they want. My response was “I’m a businesswoman & simply providing feedback.” That was it. They continued to send me messages attacking me, telling me to save my “criticism,” “keep my emotions out of it & my snide little comment.” I was dumbfounded w/ their aggressiveness. I had to ask them to “please stop sending me messages.” Well they didn’t. They proceed to send me ANOTHER message after that, making smart, nasty comments & I could see they were still typing yet ANOTHER message, so I literally had to close my Turo account to get them to stop. I looked at their ad on Turo after I deleted my acct and they had changed their “unlimited mileage” to charge for miles over 600. They did not handle the constructive feedback well & will ultimately result in Turo losing quality customers going forward. Sorry about this long post, but the experience really was unsettling. (**This was a white 2016 bmw 3 series, under the name Patrick, near Greenville, SC. He has 5 star reviews, but these were only from the ppl who rented the car locally. You cannot leave a review of the host if they decline you, as in my situation, even though I was approved by Turo. He knew once he declined me that I could not leave a review on his page, which is why he proceeded to harass me after that. It was truly unbelievable & I sent screenshots of the exchange to Turo Customer Service). I would have booked another car through someone else on Turo. However, this experience was so unsettling, that I will go through a rental car company from now on.

Martin Palo Alto, CA

I would give 0 stars if I could. I was falsely accused of damages I did not make. I am still fighting this $1.4k damage claim. The host claimed 1 hour after I dropped the car off in a parking lot per the host's request that I damaged the rear bumper. I had already uploaded photos after the trip clearly showing I didn't commit these damages. They also are trying to charge me for previous damages in which I have provided close up screenshots. As well, some agents are saying you can't clearly see the damages but I am held liable, and some are saying you can clearly see it, but when asked for photos of it, they cannot provide any and just say the damage is there, even though the picture has no damage. They just take your money to avoid a setback from the host.

Mark Jones Miami, FL

Hosts beware! Hosts beware! I rented my Chevy Express for 3 days. When it was returned, the renter exceeded the mileage limit by over 300 miles and the interior was completely trashed. I submitted an additional invoice to the renter per Turo’s instructions. The deadline came and went and the renter simply ignored it so the claim was “elevated” by Turo. This morning, I received a notice that Turo denied my claim because I did not submit pictures PRIOR to the rental. I sent before and after pics of the odometer but neglected to take before pics of the interior. (I didn’t think the interior pics were needed since the van was new. Besides, no one would have accepted the van in the condition it was when it was returned.) Nevertheless, Turo denied the claim for a second time. So, I’m out the $53 cleaning fee but I thought I would get reimbursed for the mileage portion- NOPE! They didn’t even give an explanation for the SECOND denial! If it’s THIS hard to get reimbursed for excess mileage and a cleaning fee, imagine what would happen if the renter had an accident.

Brian Peterson Eagle Mountain, UT

I found TURO to be not significantly cheaper than standard rental companies AND customer service was poor. A deer hit the car mirror and our credit card insurance wouldn’t cover TURO (we are American expats living in Europe). Our oversight was not verifying insurance before. The car owner was fine; we paid the full repair bill ($1200 - would’ve been covered by American Express if it were Hertz, Avis, etc. But not TURO). My issue with TURO is their total “inability” to help us out after the incident (no claim was filed). Their “policy” was inflexible (I wanted to get insurance to at least drive it legally to the Toyota dealer and have it repaired). They were NOT helpful. Hours later, after chats and speaking with multiple individuals, they provided no useful options. Too bad, so sad, you’re screwed. Needless to say, I will never use their service again.

redbird1992 Portland, OR

Can I give zero stars? Car broke down on us, ruined our plans, almost made us miss our flight and Turo made me manage all the towing and all the towing companies were calling me, Turo gave them a nonexistent address to tow it to, they were driving this person's car all over SF, and then Turo would call me asking where the car was. WHAT?? I was the renter. The host was never updated where their car was. Turo left us stranded on the side of the highway, had to bribe a Lyft to get us. Now I'm getting calls and messages all the next day, and have to file a claims for "damages" within 24 hours. Talk about the least relaxing weekend away I could have ever dreamed. Was on the phone with Turo and towing for 4+ hours straight during the incident. What a nightmare. Stay away.

Tonya Jennings Paris, TN

I've used Turo 3 times but will never use them again! Take lots of detailed pictures before and after! The host can claim damage up to 24 after they accept the vehicle back. I took, what I thought, were good pictures before and after (the vehicle had previous damage which I documented in the pictures). I turned the car in to the host in person and he inspected and accepted the car on the spot with no problems. Hours after the trip ended the host, who took no before pictures as required by Turo, reported damaged (the previous damage that I documented in photos). Turo would not work with my insurance company. My insurance company found no fault on my part so they denied the claim. I corresponded with Turo through both phone and email and I never spoke to the same person twice while they frequently contradicted themselves. After I disputed the damage, trying to prove there was already documented previous damage, Turo sided with the host and charged my card on file over $1100 after I gave them written notice I did not authorize any additional charges and froze my card. Apparently, the before pictures i posted in the app when I picked up the car were not enough to prove I was not at fault even though the host took no before pictures to reference. Beware and take LOTS of detailed pictures.

LaToya Morris Tulsa, OK

Booked car 3hrs in advance. Ended up without vehicle and $94.14 removed from my bank account. Extremely disappointed and would not ever recommend Turo to anyone but the BBB and the Police Dept. Your company is obviously a scam. Especially from the conversation with your support team who did nothing but blame the host. They tried to get me to book another Vehicle without any resolution or accommodations to my 1st problem. I still would've had to wait AGAIN another 3hrs to book a vehicle while being skeptical about being scammed AGAIN. WARNING...DONT DI IT! STRAIGHT SCAM ARTIST'S... BEWARE! You're not worth Stars or People time. Please remove 1star since I'm not allowed to remove it (falsely represented). I give zero STARS here.

Olivia Greco Bolton, ON

I rented a car on Turo in Vancouver. Immediately upon driving the car we noticed that when turning right, the front left wheel would loudly squeak. When we brought it back the owner claims we scratched his rim which we did not, the rims had all kinds of scratches. He proceeded to tell us that it would be $200 to fix so asked us to pay cash. We asked for him to have a mechanic invoice (even though we didn’t agree with the whole situation and felt we were being scammed). He sent an invoice an hour later stating exactly $200+tax. We found it really sketchy that considering he said he’s never rented his car before or had this issue, knew exactly how much to the dollar, what it would cost to fix a scratched alloy rim. We thought it was weird so we decided to let the claim go through Turo instead. To our absolute surprise we got an invoice from Turo for $1013!! For a scratch on a rim, even though we clearly have the first mechanic invoice stating $200. We tried to ask many times why the sharp increase in price, there was no answer other than a detailed invoice with a million different charges adding up to $1013. 5x the price from the first invoice and anyone with common sense knows a scratch on a rim is NOT that price. You can replace all the rims for that price especially considering the rims were super cheap and flimsy to begin with. The customer service was HORRIBLE. No one was able to help us and everyone was SO rude. They charged the amount without any consent right off of our credit card. Complete disaster. Please don’t use this App.

Scale Life Farmington, MI

Unethical scam artist! They’ll lie to you and anything else to get you to pay their INFLATED fees then leave you stranded! We were taken advantage of by a seller who wanted new tires, they canceled our insurance on the car & charged us double what they’ll cost and closed the amount until we paid it. We then paid it after personally getting confirmation that our account we gain full access again after payment and they closed the account soon as we paid. Nobody can be trusted, they’re all pawns used to lie to you for a single person behind a computer to screw anyone who expects fairness. I wouldn’t recommend them if it was FREE

Ronald Moore Tacoma, WA

I’m done with Turo. The first time I booked a Yukon and rented this specific vehicle so my 3 and 5 year old could watch their Disney DVDs during the long road trip. When I picked the car up, “it didn’t have one” for some reason. The photos of the vehicle were of another vehicle. The second time I used Turo I booked a 2010 Ford Escape with “Amjad” in Columbus, OH. The car was a piece of crap! When I started it, warning lights flashed, the fan belt whined LOUDLY, it had dents, it had rust spots, bald tires and STAINS inside!!! When I asked for another vehicle I was told there weren’t any (it was a used car lot). The vehicle didn’t even have a permanent license plate. It had “temporary tabs” taped inside the tinted rear window. I drove the car a couple of times and returned it TWO FULL days before I was planning on returning my Turo rental. However, Turo kept ONE FULL day of my rental payment with no explanation as to why!! TERRIBLE COMPANY!! DO NOT USE THEM!!

A Zand Mission Viejo, CA

I rented my Tesla Model 3 on Turo. Had a renter who did not return it, ran it until there was 1 mile left on it without charging, didn’t answer my messages. Turo tried to contact them and they used a fake license and phone number. They told me I need to wait 48-hours. They do nothing to get your car back. Police do nothing because they say you voluntarily rented your car out. Renters beware if someone chooses not to return your car Turo does nothing about it. Oh the worst part, the person didn’t even get their account suspended after Turo customer service admitted to me they used a fake ID and phone number.

Dan S

This was my first time using Turo and I’ll never use Turo again. The host canceled my reservation 2 days before my trip. I understand things happen BUT it was the third time this host has canceled reservations. According to Turo’s own review the host had canceled the previous reservation just 2 hours before pick up time. When I called Turo all they said was, “Sorry for the inconvenience.” Then Turo’s representative proceeded to tell me it could take up to 10 days to get my refund. I would not recommend the service to anyone. Very unreliable. Stick with rental companies that actually have backup vehicles if needed.

Melron Estes South Jordan, UT

DO NOT RENT FROM TURO! I used Turo as my car rental company because pricing was much cheaper. However after the first day I called to add me as a driver and maybe not have my wife as a driver. After 6 hours and talking to five departments and several managers in a different country Turo ended up cancelling my reservations and then charging me an additional $790.00 to get back the original reservation. They then blamed me for the error stating it was I who called them and requested the cancellation. Aside from costing me an unwanted $800 it also made me miss the activities we had planned on Sunday and put me in a foul mood for my vacation. What I found out from this experience (aside from never use Turo) is that the way they have structured their company is that they have all customer service and account management handled in a foreign country where they are poorly trained in how to run and navigate their systems and the managers are only authorized to offer a maximum of $30.00 to correct problems or errors and cannot make changes outside a set perimeters of the programming. Hopefully this will save others from having to deal with the same expensive frustration I did.

Paul Donovan Windermere, FL

I will never rent through Turo again and I encourage you to never do so either. For the first time ever, I rented a car through Turo for a week in Arizona. We had plans to see Sedona, Flagstaff etc during our time there. The third day we had the car we were driving from Phoenix to Sedona when we had a tire blow out on the highway. Pull over to the side of the road prepared to change the tire and there is no spare tire in the car. A little more inconvenient but no huge problem because we will call for Turo roadside assistance. Unfortunately, where the tire blew out has no cell service whatsoever. We tried my phone with no service, my wife's phone (different carrier) which had no service. So , now we are out in the middle of the desert where it is 101 degrees with no way to contact anybody for assistance. I get out of the car and after about 5 minutes am able to wave somebody down to hopefully assist. Of course, they have no cell service but they promise to call the highway patrol as soon as they do. A guy with an 18 wheeler also stops. Again, no cell phone service and his CB radio is non operational. Just as we were preparing to take a ride into the next town (Black Canyon City) to try to get a wrecker the highway patrol showed up. Of course, he has no cell service and his computer can't connect to the internet. However, he did have a radio and did call a wrecker for us. We had to pay $215.00 to tow the car to the nearest tire store and then another $133 for a new tire. Turo refuses to reimburse us anything for this added expense saying I was at fault! Somehow, I am at fault because a fairly new tire (4 months old) must have been defective and blew out the sidewall while I was driving on the highway. Somehow, I am at fault because there was no spare tire in the car. Somehow, I was at fault because I had no cell phone service and had to wave down help in the middle of a 101 degree desert. Somehow I am at fault because I had the car towed without contacting Turo ! This is the kind of risk you are taking when you rent through Turo. Never agsin!

Nina Pompano Beach, FL

I’ve been a host and guest customer service is horrible and the fees we have to pay from both prospectives is astronomical!

Q Kelly Hallandale, FL

I rented my 2019 vehicle with 60k miles on it. Turo will not enforce any rules you put for your vehicle. Also I charge a $75 smoking fee. Turo threatened to charge me and then only charged the renter $50. The customer service is a joke! RENT WITH A REAL RENTAL COMPANY DO NOT PUT YOUR VEHICLE ON THIS SITE!!!

mohamed farhadaa Mississauga, ON

I booked a car with 7 seats to pick up my friend and his wife and 2 kids and 6 luggage at 7am. I booked it a month in advance to make sure I have it ready. On the day before the booking at 11 pm I got a call that this car is not available. I could not find any other 7 seaters on that day as it was very short notice. I booked a smaller car and had many trouble of going the trip back and forth and I called other friend to help us out. After all this trouble, support did not do anything except giving me 20$ back saying this is the maximum out of 150$. Moreover, they did not allow me to speak to their manager as the case is not "that serious". Please think many times before booking with them.

Tiera Henry Saint Augustine, FL

In July we rented a vehicle through Turo while visiting Colorado. At first the experience was great, we met with the owner’s son at the airport and went on our way towards Estes Park. The next afternoon we drove the vehicle to Bear’s Lake and after walking around we went to return to the vehicle and we’re unable to get it started. We first thought the key fob had died but after a few short minutes the entire vehicle was dead. We were able to have someone jump us. Upon doing so warning lights came on to “check engine”, “check all wheel drive” and to contact a dealership. Given our location we were forced to drive the vehicle to the entrance of the park so that we would have service to contact the owner. Upon driving the vehicle it began to lurch violently so we pulled off at the first point we could do so safely (not even 1/4 of a mile from our original parking lot). We were able to contact the owner and the owners son regarding the situation and it was decided that the vehicle would be towed. We were guaranteed a full refund of our costs with the agreement that we’d pay what we had used in gas. We were then left in a National Park, with three young children, with a thunderstorm coming and no means of transportation. Luckily we were able to get transportation from the park to our condo and the next day had to find transportation to Boulder to obtain a new rental car. After our trip we received a refund of not even 1/3 of our total costs. When we inquired with the owner he stated he had told Turo what had happened and it should’ve been a full refund. When we contacted Turo regarding such we were informed that because the owner of the vehicle chose not to profit from our trip we were limited in what could be refunded. When I explained the situation leading up to and the difficulties it caused us they then stated that they would reduce the “trip cost” as we benefited from a full day use and their investigation resulted in that the vehicle was safe to operate and we could have done so. Their price reduction was then what they would normally charge for a “day trip”. I then sent videos of the vehicle’s condition showing that it was in no condition to drive and stated I would pay 1/5 of our total original fee (given the one day use and ignoring the fact we ended up having to pay more for another rental car) but they have been unwilling to assist. In response they stated that they’d provide us with a $30 credit to be used for the future. Not only am I disappointed in the way this was handled by the owner and Turo I’m concerned with that Turo allowed the vehicle to be operated and attempted to state that it was safe for us to continue driving that day.

Deb Harvey Waterford, WI

I have been trying to rent a vehicle in Anchorage, AK for next summer (2022). My first reservation cancelled on me as they indicated the price I reserved was too low and they weren't taking bookings until next year. So, why did their website indicate differently. My second attempt and the host never responded to my request. The third and fourth requests cancelled for personal reasons (going on vacation and selling car at the end of summer). I contacted Turo and they indicated hosts should be honoring their pricing/availability. I tried one more time and booked a reservation only to have it cancelled within hours. The host indicated "Too soon to book, I haven't set prices to match likely demand." I suggested they updated their website so others won't be able to make any reservations and I also indicated I had 4 previous cancellations. His response - "When four different people tell you the same thing, it might be an indication you're the one who's being unreasonable, not them." I will tell all my friends to stay far away from Turo.

Hayley Coppola Hoboken, NJ

I had my first experience with Turo this past weekend. When I went to pickup the car, the host was not there for me to ask any questions on the 2011 Nissan Maxima, instead I had to get the keys from a coworker. Upon turning the car on there were lights on the dashboard (traction control and no air bags). Not knowing if this was faulty since there was no host and I had to get on the road I proceeded with the trip. About an hour into the trip water from the air conditioning started leaking into the footwells to the point where if you stomped your foot you could visibly see splashing. On the way back from the trip, low tire pressure notifications kept popping up from a cracked rim every hour after refilling with air. Eventually, I was stuck in the middle of nowhere in Ohio far away from tire shops and civilization to get this issue fixed. There was no towing nearby, and this cracked rim issue caused a delay of 5 hours in the trip. It turns out the rim was an awkward size and different local tire shops would need a replacement order that wouldn't come for a couple of days. What I ended up having to do is go to a local welder and WELD the rim back shut, then proceed to get a new tire as well since the cracked rim was ripping up the tires inside. Once the wheel was repaired, the stability control light had gotten turned off, meaning the car was given with a wheel that was causing the light to turn on in the first place. This 5 hour delay in the trip caused me to have to take an additional day off of work as well as push the ""return date"" for the car (an additional item I was charged). Eventually I made it back home to NJ and dropped off the car (once again the host was not here for the drop off). Thinking at the bare minimum it would be reasonable for Turo to refund the unexpected costs due to the unsafe car they rented me, I reached out to Customer Support multiple times on the matter. Their response is that the refund is up to the discretion of the host, who clearly wasn't acting in good faith since the beginning of my trip. So why would he refund me in the first place? This is a situation Turo needs to take into their own hands and they are refusing to do so. I am extremely concerned that they are ok with this car continuing to be listed on their site due to the level of seriousness they took my inquiry - they gave me a $50 credit to use on my next Turo trip thinking that would resolve the matter. The responses were also copied and pasted canned statements, with broken english sprinkled in (they refuse to get on the phone with you, they only let you talk to them through chat and email). That credit is going to go to waste, and I highly recommend anyone reading this to stick with a proper Enterprise, Avis, anyone else who takes full ownership of the maintenance policies they have in place.

Heather Goetz Peoria, AZ

We had a terrible experience. Car was not as advertised and we drove around for a week with air that did not work. Furthermore after we left possession of car we were told no matter what happens we are responsible for damage for 24 hrs later. So if they total it after we leave it with them. We are liable. There was a scratch after they moved it and even though we had pics proving it wasn't there they charged us over 1100 dollars. Big scam and they won't even respond to concerns etc. Waiting on the day they lose in court when they try blaming someone for something when they aren't even in the same state at the time it happens. Use a reputable company. Even if your cc company covers rentals. They even know better and won't cover turo due to the shady business practices. Buyer beware.

Sophia Tristan Sacramento, CA

I rented a vehicle from Turo only once because after my first rental, the company ran a background check on me that I apparently didn’t pass. They do this after you agree to things that you click on to process the rental. That was the reason given to me after I contacted customer service to inquire as to why I could not login again to my account to shop for a second rental. Are people who have records but have paid for their crimes to society still going to be punished forever? This company is too judgmental and frankly want to be picky about whose money they are willing to accept. That’s the truth.

James Sivard Leesburg, VA

TerI tried for HOURS to rent a vehicle in my area. The website nd app for this company are full of bugs and crash frequently. when I tried to contact customer support ( that was a rible, unprofessional company

Brit Curry Ellicott City, MD

Absolutely Ridiculous. Horrible company. Rented a car (for 4 days) that broke down 3 hours after I got it leaving us stranded in the middle of nowhere for 5hours. Had to rent another car, then after all said and done they only refunded me back for 2 days. BS!!!!! Will never use again, and will definitely be telling everyone I meet to never use this service!

Eric Montreal, QC

Things might be good, unless you was caught in an accident, no matter you are at fault or not, EVEN IF you purchased a PROTECTION PLAN from Turo, as they states : "The primary Guest is financially responsible for ALL Physical Damage or theft to the Vehicle, as well as Related Costs. The primary Guest is financially responsible REGARDLESS of who is found to be at fault for the damage. "

Emilie Nault Vaudreuil-Dorion, QC

An unresponsive host cancelled our reservation 2 days prior to our vacation. As the rates had dramatically increased since our booking 4 months prior, Turo offered to help with a compensation. We were told usual compensation was 80$, but they would release 140$ for our trouble (and the fact that we now had to pay triple the initial price). The compensation never came, the replacement booking was never made, I spent 7 hours on the phone with multiple agents and rude supervisors to be told they would perhaps get back to me by email within 24h. I received a compensation of 53$ - will never use them again. Disrespectful, not trustworthy! A big 0 for this company.

Bittermac Lawndale, CA

WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER!!! HORRIBLE BUSINESS PRACTICES!!! I used the service about 3 times while visiting family in Oregon. Not issues. Worked as promised. Went to use it again and got an error that my account had been closed. Lifetime ban. Called their call center 4 times. Total of 71 minutes on hold. Finally called with my registered cell and got an email address to protest account closure. Emailed and 1 week later got a reply from Megan saying that my account was a dupe account by a car owner for fake reviews. I replied that I was not fake and what proof would she require. I got a reply several days later that she reviewed it and I am a liar. You truly find out who you are dealing with when there is a problem. Used Getaround.com and had no issues. Better customer service too.

Will Wray Johns Island, SC

A host flaked on me and canceled a reservation 45 minutes after it was supposed to start (so I was standing there and waiting). Then they canceled so I had to go to a rental car agency and pay extra for no advance reservation. All of this is arguably fair because Turo functions like a middleman. They can’t guarantee all cars (unlike rental car companies, which do). However, what concerned me here is that Turo did not permit me to write a review for the host, who still has a 5 star rating. Instead they left an automatic unrated note that doesn’t affect the host’s score. So don’t believe what you see on that app: they block and censor reviews.

Sue Collins Wakefield, MA

Don't walk away RUN....THEY NAILED US FOR $600 TOWING FEE NOT EVEN FOR THE CAR WE RENTED!!!!!! TURO was no help and sided with the scammer. We were just scammed in FL, got a different car than was listed but same model/make thought nothing of it. No one met us at delivery, cars left in car, car open, at end of the week we dropped car off at parking garage at airport, instructed to do the same, leave keys in car and unlocked, many hours later get a call from lady, where is my car, told her exactly where car was parked, more hours go by, she threatens to call police, so we immediately do and tell her so...moments later, states car was towed for illegally parked, then changes it to abandonment, then damage on rear light....next day, tries to stick us with a $600 towing charge, and then says car was towed mid week and we abandoned it!! We had car entire week, car towed was one we were suppose to receive and didn't, Tuto sided with her and changed our acct $600, we have videos of the car being driven different dash etc. They sided with her prior to us being able to deliver any pertinent information we had. DO YOUR SELF A FAVOR STICK WITH HERTZ, ALAMO ETC, they may be more money but won't scam you they are a reputable company unlike Turo!!! Top it off the lady we did get car from had good reviews, I suppose those were fake too! BEWARE things on TURU are not what they appear to be FAKE reviews, scam artist ETC. makes it tough or the legit ppl trying to rent their vehicles and customers. CUSTOMER SERVICE IS HORRIBLE

jennifer bell West Yellowstone, MT

Please don't use this company. It is a scam. I was traveling to Hawaii and rented a truck and paid for my reservation in advance. One hour before I landed the host texted me " the car is broke". I called host and he said needed new tires and I need to cancel reservation and find new truck. I tried to find another truck but none was available. Turo offered to rent me the same truck but for $ 4,500. this was $ 3,100 more than I agreed and paid for. They offered to take 20% off the new amount but still $2,200.00 more than agreed upon amount. The company knew there were no more trucks andt ripped me off, ruined my vacation. Crooks!

101blacksails Jacksonville, FL

I received a confirmation for a rental, only to find out that the day I needed the rental at the airport, that it did not go through because Turo requires your driver's license, birthdate, etc. I didn't find out about this until the day of my rental need! I finally got verified after calling Turo for 2 hours. THEN, I go to look for other cars, and when I go to check out, they are all UNAVAILABLE. This happened on 8 different vehicles that were apparently 'AVAILABLE' for my dates/times, all up until I go to check out, and then Turo customer service tells me that they are 'WORKING' on the site glitches that allows cars to show up that ARE NOT AVAILABLE FOR RENTAL. I will NEVER USE THEM AGAIN, it is not worth the hassle, and you don't save any money at all because they charge Turo Fees, you HAVE to buy INSURANCE, and then the taxes and FEES, and then there is NO GUARANTEE that you will actually get the car!! I don't have time to post this stuff but they wasted so much of my time, that I actually lost valuable WORK TIME. Don't waste your time on this, save your time and worth and just do the traditional auto rental until a GOOD SITE shows up that can actually be better than the traditional auto rental places. MAYBE START one yourself!

Farinaz Vafai Alameda, CA

horrible service! they took my money and never gave it back to me after the car had dead battery and I had to return it the host. basically they never gave back my money for the last 4 days that I didn't have the car due to dead battery. never trust this company, there would be zero customer service and support in middle of your vacation!

elona ganchenko Honolulu, HI

Horrible customer service. Their insurance is a scam. I rented a car and as I was driving a rock flew out and cracked the windshield. So I had to pay: 145 insurance 575 deductible And then 740 for the “damages” So stupid! Their protection plan is a scam!

tim forrest Nashville, TN

Horrible company, terrible customer service and unfriendly hosts. I rented a Jeep for 4 days and returned it 4 hours early. They charged me foran extra day and a $20 late fee! A very terrible experience to say the least. Consumers - stay away, you have many other more reasonable alternatives.

James Shelby, NC

BEWARE!!!!Turo charged me double what the total was supposed to be. They also charged me $100 extra for picking the vehicle up 12 min early and they always find a rwason to keep your deposit. You WON'T ever get tour deposit back and there is nobody you can talk to. Support will only email you but wint work out anything. STAY AWAY...

Beverly Taylor Tallahassee, FL

BEWARE! Turo requires an absurd amount of money on top of your host fees and deposit. The trip fee is ridiculous and this makes renting with Turo very expensive. There is no way to speak to anyone on the phone. All billing questions are done by chatting messages. If your host cancels hours before then you out that money until its refunded up to 80 hours later. This is a horrible company.

Vic Cast Spring, TX

DO NOT RENT FROM TURO!! I rented a car in Florida.. 3hours into 3 day trip back wheel tire blew and shreeded! NO ONE would touch car or had tire to replace it.. due to Maserati GrandTourismo... it was towed back to host. They had the nerve to charge me a full days fee 230.00+.. it cost me more to get a replacement car and ride near Key Largo!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNDED! AND THEY WANT ME TO PAY 220.00+ FOR REPLACEMENT TIRE!

Rebecca Phillips Raleigh, NC

Watch out folks, Turo is a scam waiting to happen. Don’t even think they will follow their own policies and procedures, beware beware beware!! There is a reason the Better Business Bureau has rated them an F. They will try to charge you for a ledge damage to the car no matter how many pictures you take that show that there was no damage. I will never rent from this car company again and would advise you all to do the same.

jen vertone Jackson, WY

For a short time I was a host on Turo. Had a bad experience with a renter whom returned my vehicle in horrible condition. I’d reached out to Turo to have the renter pay an additional $30 cleaning fee and follow their requests with providing over 60 clear before and after pictures depicting the issue. They denied saying I did not provide any evidence of the issue.

Lhundup Thonden Toronto, ON

I give Turo no stars after I spend… I give Turo no stars after I spend hours texting them for the account issues. First they have information about my last year trip and now when I want to rent the vehicle I need to go through series of verification process over the internet. After providing my drivers license and photo they want my credit card info. I asked for the manager and agent refused and said she can send me an email so I can send my cc info but after end of the text, there was nothing from her. This company has no credibility. I give no stars and I am out!

David Cheuk Edison, NJ

Rented a car through Turo for a 3 day weekend trip. Check engine light came on (during day 1). Turo/host offered no help. The host blamed me for check engine light failure, and told me it was my responsibility to return the car in it's original state (whatever that means). Meanwhile, I tried to have the car towed, but Turo's "Roadside Assistance" kept directing me to take the car to a dealership to have it repaired. As a result of the faulty check engine light, we wasted nearly a half a day, driving from dealership to dealership, to assess what was wrong with the car. Not only did Turo not give back any refund or concessions, they allowed owner to tack on an additional $54 at the end of trip in reported "excessive cleaning" fees, which is a complete joke. They also managed to take this from my credit card account without any prior approval. Host made up bogus claims that we left "sticky film" in the car, which is total BS. Our group of 4 adults only had bottled water in the car, and did not eat any food, drinks or snacks in the car besides our water. As evidence of the excessive dirtiness, Turo literally provided a picture of the floor carpet which had some dirt, some gum wrappers in a cup holder, and empty water bottle on the floor, and some dried grass which somehow wound up in the trunk space. Turo's own cleaning policy says you don't have to vacuum the carpets, unless it's excessively dirty. This company is a joke. Their prices are cheaper than more reputable car rentals, but steer clear and avoid the headache. They find anyway to nickel and dime you, and you get no support whatsoever if your car breaks down. It took us 9 hours to drive back from Virginia Beach because we had to take several breaks so that the car would not overheat. This will be my first and last time I use Turo to rent a vehicle, and I am disputing this entire transaction with my credit card. It should also be noted that I tried leaving the host (Jigar S) a one star review, with my honest opinion, on Turo's website. For some reason, the review is not showing up on their website, so I believe Turo may be manipulating the reviews by intentionally screening off the bad reviews.

Jeyk Janish Anaheim, CA

I have been an all star host with Turo for three years. I had my Scion tC, and recently my Tesla on there. I really had a good experience with them, up until recently. The last trip, the guest took my car, caused an incredible amount of damage to the vehicle, and took it to Los Vegas where they were involved in a hit and run accident. You would think a company like this would take care of its hosts, and do everything in its power to make them whole again? Wrong! They put a cap on the amount that I can request from the renter on supercharging costs (of $200) which I sent them proof of the actual costs being much more than that. The renter had smoked and had his dog in the vehicle which was against my hosting policy... which I have video proof of and they still refuse to compensate, and my center console is broken, but since they didn’t have “before” pictures of the latch, are refusing to fix it. How can they expect a user to take a picture of a latch? So I lost money, and am being refused a copy of my police report since I was not actually in the vehicle... but I own it? Also when you call, everyone is outsourced, and reading off a script, and doesn’t feel like they are genuinely trying to help. Some departments you can’t even reach via phone, (which is a long process) and have to talk to via email. I wouldn’t put your car on here unless you don’t care about it.