Turo, formerly Relay Rides, is a peer-to-peer car sharing company that started in San Francisco, CA in 2009. Similar to the Airbnb model, local car owners advertise and rent out their vehicles to drivers who would prefer to avoid the standard rental car experience.

The company launched nationally in March of 2012 and is currently available in over 4,500 cities and over 300 airports throughout the United States. Turo is supported by top-tier investors, including August Capital, Google Ventures, Shasta Ventures, Canaan Partners, and Trinity Ventures.

Keep reading for pros and cons, plus Turo reviews from real customers.

#1 Turo chevron_right
4.1
#2 Enterprise CarShare chevron_right
3.7
#3 Uber chevron_right

The Good

• Variety of Vehicles Available
  • Simple Sharing Process
  • Rental Prices and Fees
  • Insurance Coverage

Variety of Vehicles Available

To cater to individual preferences, the company offers over 800 different car models to choose from. Renters can choose from cars, SUVs, minivans, trucks, convertibles, hybrids and vans. One can also filter by rental period for long-term rentals, the vehicle make, features like all-wheel drives, and more.

Simple Sharing Process

Turo has an easy, user-friendly, and customizable rental sign up. In order to sign up for car sharing, create a Turo account by simply signing into your Facebook or email account.

The first time you sign up for a car, all you have to do is enter some general information, choose a car, rental date, and time. You can either decline additional insurance or purchase the Basic or Premium option, each with varying physical damage and liability protection.

In order to get the car and the keys, all the renter needs to do is meet the owner and show them their driver's license. Some owners will even deliver the car right to the renter. Returning the car is simple, as the renter just needs to return the car with a tank full of gas to where it was initially picked up.

Rental Prices and Fees

Turo rents vehicles priced approximately 35% lower than other car rental options. The price ranges depending on what car one gets. There is no membership fee and cars generally go for a flat rate of $40 a day.

In addition to rental fees, buyers may be charged fees for additional miles, parking tickets and cleaning fees. To get the car's trip price, one must multiply the relevant trip rate advertised on the vehicle by the duration. There are also the following fees:

• Trip Fee - 10% of trip price
  • Protection Fee - varies by if one chooses a premium (40% of car's rate), basic (15% of car's rate), or the decline option
  • Young Driver Fee-20% fee of the trip price for people under age 25
  • Delivery Fee-varies based on owner's settings
  • Airport Fee-10% fee of trip price if the rented vehicle is involved in the Turo Airport Lot program

It should also be noted that payment information, including debit card and credit card payments, are made through the Turo app or website, not the rental host.

Insurance Coverage

Owner Protection

With Turo, there are private and commercial hosts. When it comes to Turo’s insurance, owners can either use Turo’s policies or decline coverage to be eligible for a commercial, third-party insurance policy.

Declining coverage: Owners can decline Turo’s insurance coverage. This makes them considered a Commercial Host. As such, they must have their policy verified by Turo prior to renting out any of their vehicles.

Turo’s insurance offers three different tiers of protection for owners to choose from. All three plans come with $1 million in liability coverage and physical damage protection that covers the value of the car, up to $125,000. From there, the plans differ in host deductible, cost, and other amenities.

Premium Package:

• Host deductible for damage to the car: $0
  • Replacement vehicle provided during repairs: Up to $30/day for 10 days
  • Exterior wear and tear coverage
  • Loss of rental income coverage
  • Cost to owner: 35% of trip price

Standard Package:

• Host deductible for damage to the car: $0
  • Replacement vehicle provided during repairs: Up to $30/day for 10 days
  • Cost to owner: 25% of trip price

Basic Package:

• Host deductible for damage to car: Up to $3,000—Turo pays 20% for the first $3,750, then above that they pay up to the $125,000 limit
  • Cost to owner: 15% of trip price

Guest Protection

Just as you would when you rent a car with other rental car companies, before you complete your booking, you have to choose which protection plan you want for your trip.

If you choose a commercial host, then the host will provide you with options. None of the guest plans cover mechanical or interior damage.

If you already have personal insurance, Turo’s coverage will supplement your existing coverage. Policies differ in the amount of liability insurance, deductible payment required, and damage protection.

Supreme Package:

Decline coverage:

• Liability coverage: Minimum for the state where the car is registered
  • Deductible: The full cost of damage
  • No physical damage protection

Roadside assistance is available 24/7 for guests driving a vehicle covered by a Turo protection plan; however, depending on your plan, you may be charged.

Turo will pay for the dispatch fee and there is no charge for tows shorter than 15 miles in the US.

Beyond that, the party that caused the need for a tow will have to pay. Basically, if the car you are renting has a mechanical problem or an issue due to improper maintenance, the owner will have to pay, while locking the keys out or killing the battery by leaving the lights on will leave you, the renter, at fault.

The Bad

• Car Retrieval
  • Restrictions Are Variable
  • Availability Limitations
  • Caring for the Car

Car Retrieval

Since Turo does not operate with clients out of a specific agency, it utilizes car owners that do not use their cars on an everyday basis. Renters must meet the car owner personally in order to pick up the car. Renters may have to go out of their way to retrieve the car if there is not a Turo already at the airport.

Additionally, each renter must show the car owner his or her driver's license, which does have personal information that people may not feel comfortable sharing with a random person.

Restrictions Are Variable

Since Turo does not own the cars, rules and regulations are inconsistent. Some owners allow renters to drive 200 miles a day, while others allow only 100.

Each owner has his or her own set of restrictions, so Turo does not have an overall list of rules for the available cars.

Availability Limitations

Turo does not offer cars in New York. People under 21 years of age cannot rent a car, and people under age 25 have to pay additional fees.

In fact, people under 25 may need to demonstrate at least two years of current US licensed driving history, and potentially can only rent out certain cars because they are considered "high-risk."

Caring for the Car

One thing that is different about the Turo experience is that guests are expected to care for the car as if it were their own. So, if the exterior of the car is significantly dirtier or if it has junk food crumbles inside from a road trip, you have to take it through a car wash and vacuum it out before returning it. If not, you may be charged a cleaning fee between $30 and $250. This is a big differentiator between standard car rental companies and renting a car with Turo.

The Bottom Line

Travelers who want a cheap or out of the ordinary rental vehicle will be satisfied with Turo's offerings. Users can choose the car model, location, and owner.

Finding a unique rental vehicle, on the low or high-end is made easier through Turo's growing community, where owners can use this portal to the sharing economy to make some extra money.

However, keep in mind that service is not available in New York or to potential customers under age 21, and people under age 25 must pay extra fees while renting.

View Best Car Sharing Companies

4.1

Marlina Othman
June 19th, 2019 Perris, CA DETAILS

I had a wonderful experience using Turo! I rented a 15 passenger Ford Transit Wagon to take my family to a Dodgers vs Angels game . The owner was informative and kind. I will definitely rent it again or another vehicle. The price was good and insurance is perfect. Thank You Marlina Othman

RJ
June 19th, 2019 San Diego, CA DETAILS

Had a great experience with my host, and just Turo in general. Loved the concept, the simplicity of my host, and how easy it was to pick up the car.

Philip Carter
June 19th, 2019 Richmond, VA DETAILS

I went on vacation and had a great host that was extremely helpful and flexible.

Simon
June 19th, 2019 Covington, GA DETAILS

Great customer service..great experience I would recommend to anyone who wants to rent a car on turo.....the owners are fantastic very professional....thank you for a wonderful luxury car I loved it.....

Laura
June 12th, 2019 Pearland, TX DETAILS

So convenient. Very easy to use. There’s a variety in selection and there’s a detailed information of the owner and vehicle.

EM
June 12th, 2019 Cypress, TX DETAILS

Enjoyed every moment,driving my dream car at pennies to the $

Erica
June 12th, 2019 Southfield, MI DETAILS

I had read the negative reviews, specifically alluding to money-hungry/shady owners and Turo having little.to no resolve for customer service. I should have listened. I have been trying to resolve a dispute for damage claimed after the 24 hr period within their policy, and I have yet to receive a call from a representative and have been ignored after setting up calls and responding to correspondences twice. BEWARE! Do not utilize this company unless necessary. Oh and insurance is a joke!

Peter Gaglio
June 12th, 2019 Wantagh, NY

Excellent first experience with Turo. It couldn't be any easier. Owner was responsive to messages, car was as advertised

Cristian martinez
June 12th, 2019 San Diego, CA

Awesome easy experience and the host was great and communicative.

Sandy Jones
June 12th, 2019 Helper, UT DETAILS

Was the best rental experience yet! Pickup and delivery were both done at curb, made it so convenient.

Bill
June 12th, 2019 Renton, WA DETAILS

It was my very first experience hosting my car on Turo. The guest seemed experienced and very friendly. It was all going smoothly until I entered the car after it was returned. It was clear the guest had been smoking (a violation of Turo's no-smoking policy). To make matters worse, there was an obvious burn mark on the passenger seat the same diameter as a cigarette. But, thankfully I opted for Turo's Standard Vehicle Protection Policy, which includes a $0 deductible for damage due to abuse or misuse. I contacted Turo about the burn mark, assuming that if anything would be considered "abuse and misuse" smoking and burning a seat would be. To my dismay, the response I got was a short "claim denied" message with a reference to the protection agreement that mentions normal wear and tear on the exterior of the vehicle less than a certain size are excluded from the agreement. I was confused as this damage was neither on the exterior of the vehicle nor was it normal wear and tear. So, I had to dig into the protection agreement and send a response referencing multiple sections of the agreement that proved my claim was indeed valid. The second response was another short message saying that he sent me $20 to buy a repair kit and that I could fix it myself. After about 4 additional email exchanges that were growing exceedingly saturated with sarcasm and condescension, I gave up hope they would reconsider. In summary, a guest burned my seat which warranted a repair as per the protection policy. Turo's initial response was to incorrectly deny my claim (which I'd wager the majority of hosts would not contest). Then, when proven wrong, they sent money to buy a cheap repair kit with the expectation that I would spend my own time and money to repair it. Due to initially incorrectly denying an obvious claim like this, then attempting to brush it aside with a negligible reimbursement, and doing so with a general lack of respect or understanding, I don't believe my experience with Turo deserves any more than a single star.

Miguel
June 12th, 2019 Delray Beach, FL DETAILS

Great car, clean and amazing service provided by Jasnone. I extended with her for another week!

Jason C
June 12th, 2019 Lebanon, TN DETAILS

My wife and I have used Turo three times now and all three went perfectly. Very smooth pickups and returns of vehicles made travel a breeze and reduced stress. The cost saving as compared to renting from the major rental agencies is significant. So far very pleased with the communication of the people we have rented from. The app is good too, definitely will use again next time we need to rent a car!

Leon Bowden
June 12th, 2019 Pittsburgh, PA DETAILS

Quick, easy, and trustworthy! I wouldn’t had believed it until I tried it. Much easier route to use then typical car renting. I’ve already recommended Turo to family, and friends! I plan to use Turo again soon.

John
June 12th, 2019 Orange, CA DETAILS

The car I rented was very nice and in good repair. The Owner was delightful to deal with and very accommodating. I found the website and the communication to be better than the normal Rental Car Companies. Best of all the car I picked is the car I got. Not the normal I rented a Cadillac but all we have for you is a Chevy line the rental car companies sell. I recommend Turo to anyone who doesn't want the same old same old experience.

Braiden
June 12th, 2019 Spokane, WA DETAILS

I rented a car through Turo and it was an amazing and smooth experience. So glad I wasn’t a sucker for the car rental companies.

Ken Francis
June 12th, 2019 Provo, UT

I was disappointed when I found out tat they have extra fees if you are under 25. I had thought that I had heard thatthis company was one of the only car companies that doesn't charge extra for being under 25 but I guess it was false advertising.

Jennifer Smith
June 11th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT

Turo is a genius site. I wish that it had been around more. I found out about turo about 2 years ago when my daughter visited Hawaii and told us about their rental car. She used Turo to find it and I actually went on today to find a care for our vacation in July. I don't think that you are going to find better prices! I would recommend Turo to anyone and everyone!

Jessica Bjorling
June 10th, 2019 Eldridge, IA DETAILS

We were a little hesitant to use Turo since it was still newer, but we had a great experience!

Craig C.
June 7th, 2019 Williamsburg, VA DETAILS

Great first time experience. I. Always a skeptic but I will use Turo again. The app made communication so easy.

Phyllis
June 7th, 2019 Wellesley Hills, MA

It took me a while as a first time user to figure out that I needed to find a car near my hotel for easy pick up and that I should choose by map v. list. I cancelled the first car because it was to far but that was easy to do. Overall, it was easy and convenient! The host responded quickly, had a great car and was flexible about return times so that helped.

Hitch
June 7th, 2019 Glenside, PA DETAILS

It was a little hard setting up the app once it was done checking out the cars was easy once I decided on which car I wanted that process was also easy pick up and delivery went smoothly

Evee
June 7th, 2019 El Cerrito, CA DETAILS

Fast & effective it was a great experience and easy to use. A lot cheaper than rental car companies also. When one person cancelled the company had many other options waiting for me. I’ll definitely recommend to others.

Tasha jackson
June 5th, 2019 Oklahoma City, OK DETAILS

Great communication with the owner of the car and with the Turo company. They both replied within a timely manor when questions arises and resolved all concerns. The transition was sealmless and wonderful. So much better than a rental co. I would definitely use them again

angela hansen
June 5th, 2019 Mesa, AZ DETAILS

We have only used Turo twice. Its a good alternative to all the other rentals out there. We only use it if its cheeper or more convenient. We fly standby and this last trip we decided to change our plans. We contacted the car owner and he was great to work with. We had an issue with extending our vehicle directly with turo. They couldn't do anything else to help us.

Phucien
June 5th, 2019 Woodstock, GA

It was a great experience renting with turo. I didn't even have to meet the owner of the car. He left it in his driveway with the key inside. I just had to inspect the car before i drove off. The only minor issue was the fact that i had to take the car for détail before driving to my évent Dropping off the car still i didn't meet the owner. I parked it where i got from and my wife was drove another car to take me home

Nick Montagner
June 5th, 2019 Paris, OH

This was my first adventure with Turo. I would say it was very satisfactory. Our ride was ready on arrival and we were on our way quickly.

Nickc
June 3rd, 2019 Burbank, CA DETAILS

It was good. Nothing spectacular. Car had the tags expired at the beginning of the year and thats also what the registration said. I let the owner know and he said someone stole the tags and I've got old paperwork. Who knows

Min
June 3rd, 2019 Ellicott City, MD

We have rented our New Camaro on Turo and some damaged have happened to the body. Turo is responsible to pay for the damages but they sent us an email today that they would not pay for the accidents happened to our car! Don’t trust this website , we earned good money but now we have to pay all the money or more for the damages caused by people and it’s like we earned nothing!

Andrew
June 3rd, 2019 San Jose, CA

This is my first time trying to use Turo but is all disappointed. I've spent many hours to look at different cars and their requirement and mileage allowance. Finally, I find a car that I like and meet my budget and mileage. So I went for it by entering all my personal information and credit card. I was hesitated to provide my personal information. The owner reply to some days was not available. But I must have a car for my whole trip. Why Toru do not have a calendar for owners to enter what is available or not. I do not know what they are thinking, This seem to be very basis thing to do. What I should spent my time on is to read the reviews first. This forum show a lot of bad reviews that I agree. With this experience I do not recommend using Toru at all.

Ness
June 3rd, 2019 Sacramento, CA DETAILS

After a few of my friends recommending this app to me, I tried out turo to get a same day rental as they mentioned it had great cars for a great rate and was better than car rental companies. Since we needed two cars, we found one for $35 a day that I covered and another for $40 per day that my friend got (who referred me). I have travel protection on my card and rental coverage so I declined every option I could but was offered nearly $200 for a 3 day rental after I checked out (instead of the original ~135) ! The experience was extremely weird for both of us as my driver was not even there to drop off the car and drove another person drove us to some remote area to pick up the car ($50 fee), and my friends car was missing plates and was also ubered 20 minutes away (to his own cost) to pick up the car and was not sure if he even spoke to the owner of the car. The car rental itself was nice, car was in good state and we took care of it on the trip. My driver mentioned ahead of time to vacuum and car wash the car before turning it in or it'd be another $50 fee, not including gas. Painless return and the owner walked me through the check in process with taking tons of pictures and after checking it was good to go, I was still pissed over the additional $85 fees but I let it go as part of it was my fault for selecting an option incorrectly. I get back to my destination and I see another $50 dollars added to my statement and it's taken me over 3 days to get a response to support to see what it's about. I saved pictures of the odometer and the gas receipt and car wash just in case, as my friend was charged an additional $50 because they claimed my friend never filled the tank when we both were at the same station with our cars doing all of the steps together. Additionally his driver was not available to drive him to the airport after he drove 30 minutes to drop off his car car mechanics garage, so he had to uber there as I had already been dropped off. Overall this is very sketchy, high risk, and prone to hidden fees with no itemized receipt, way less cost efficient, and poor support. For a 35 per day car, I ended up paying over 250 for 3 days! As much as a headache that car rentals are, I'll stick to an agency.

J.A. Powers
June 3rd, 2019 Hopewell, VA DETAILS

Easy to use. There is a good variety of vehicles to choose from. Communication with owners of vehicles is easy.

Peter
June 3rd, 2019 Clayton, NC DETAILS

Great app easy to use. Rules are clearly laid out. Would definitely use TURO again

Anne Sainsbury
June 3rd, 2019 Payson, UT DETAILS

I am new to Turo car lending, but I am a huge advocate of it! I am getting married in about a month and my fiancé and I are going to be renting a car from someone in the local area when we arrive. The price is much more manageable and we feel like we got a great deal!

Jacobh21
May 31st, 2019 Irvine, CA DETAILS

Convenient, awesome, easy to navigate, all around the application is awesome. Thanks

Ctrain
May 31st, 2019 Port Saint Lucie, FL DETAILS

Thought the requirements were a bit too much. In the past I have photographed the vehicle in the spot it was left for me and in the spot I left vehicle at end of trip. I had to take over 30 photos for this reservation. The time it took to get all this done did not make it worth my time to have not rented from Enterprise.

Benjamin Swanson
May 31st, 2019 Brentwood, TN DETAILS

I rented car one time. The renter destroyed my car to the tune of 10k of damage. Turo denied my claim for a frivolous reason. Avoid like the plague.

Camille
May 31st, 2019 Irvine, CA DETAILS

Turo is easy to use and provides a variety of options to choose from. Definitely much more affordable than renting through rental car companies.

richard dancy
May 31st, 2019 Homer, LA DETAILS

Oscar was great to deal with and the vehicle worked out great.

Michael
May 31st, 2019 The Bronx, NY DETAILS

Communication was very easy and simple with my host - made sure I had everything I needed to enjoy my trip !

Kenya Mcgrady
May 31st, 2019 Detroit, MI DETAILS

Everything was great I enjoyed everything that the person I rented from he did help me out of streamly the service was wonderful

A Young
May 31st, 2019 Chicago, IL DETAILS

beware policies that they have that you don't know about. there are policies on their site that you wouldn't even see until they have a situation whereby they need to extort money from you. look online and you'll see many similar stories.

Kristoffer Jones
May 31st, 2019 Findlay, OH DETAILS

The car rental process was very affordable but i wish there was more notice to the trip and notified before that photos of the car should be taken. i didn't know until after i got the car and it was too late.

Disapponted
May 31st, 2019 Rogue River, OR

First of all I did not get the Auto I was suppose to get. When I got my Auto was very disappointing it was very dirty in and out. It says to have the Auto car wash before returning we refuse to do. Then we had trouble with this Auto the front was coming off so they replace it with another Auto got also dirty in and out. Return auto with full tank but no car wash. So with all the trouble we had the owner gave me $10 refund. This was our first experience. Hope you will make it better. You have good prices. Thank you

Shianne Durham
May 31st, 2019 San Diego, CA DETAILS

Running a vehicle for memorial day for $60. Touro charged me $240. Which left me with no money on memorial day weekend. Thank you Turo. When trying to find out why I have these charges. Customer service told me we don’t see that charge. I don’t know. Poor poor poor customer service

Chelsey
May 31st, 2019 Kaneohe, HI DETAILS

It was so easy to pick up a car that I needed for two days. Hassle free and the transaction was clean and organized. The app made payment and searching simple. Thank you!

Claudia Soto
May 31st, 2019 Park City, UT DETAILS

Turo is a very convenient and great product. It takes the stress away compared to major rental companies. There is more variety and convenience, as well as less hidden fees and more value!

Ed
May 29th, 2019 Dana Point, CA DETAILS

Overall, a great experience. The one issue I had was related to the destination pick up and drop off. I wanted to pick the car up at one location and drop it off at a different location. The app couldn’t accommodate my request. However, I was able to resolve the issue with the host.

Juanita Smith
May 29th, 2019 Atlanta, GA DETAILS

Worst trip EVER!!! This was my first time ever renting a car from Turo. I decided to give it a try for my brother in law wedding day. I met with the host and took over 22 pictures PLUS a video. Advise the host that I would return his car first thing in the morning before heading back to my home state. I get to my brother in law wedding and everything was going great. The groomsmen took lots of pictures by the vehicle which was the whole purpose of renting the vehicle. After the wedding was over, my sister and I got back into the vehicle to head back to the hotel. We must have been on the road no more than 5 minutes when we noticed the cops started driving behind us. My sister asked me what was that all about? I of course stated that it couldn't be anything and not to worry, because we wasn't doing anything illegal nor did I drink any alcohol at the wedding. Well needless to say, the cop pulled us over. He stated that the reason he stopped the vehicle is because it showed that our tags were expired. I explained I was renting this vehicle from Turo website and showed him our paperwork. I then explained that I was leaving a wedding and didn't have anything to drink. He had us get out the car and go to the back to look at the tags and the tags read December 2018!!! He stated that I should contact Turo to get my money back, because legally he was suppose to impound the car. I was very upset to say the least. When we were 12 mins away from our hotel, yet again "ANOTHER" cop flashed his lights and pulled us over. He too stated that my tags were expired. Now this is the good part. When I contacted the host he act as if he knew nothing about the tags but yet his reviews showed that he had rented this same vehicle 11 different times since December 2018. I asked him to either work out a reimbursement for this situation or else I was contacting Turo to report this fraudulent transaction. So the next morning when I turn the vehicle back in I took more pictures, again including the tags (didn't notice it the 1st time) and I even took another video walk thru of the vehicle. When I return home I inbox my host regarding reimbursement or at least a percentage of a refund. Now here is where it gets really good!!! In return the host sent Turo a "DAMAGE CLAIM" stating that I scratched up his vehicle bumper and now wants ME to pay for repairs!!! I was now furious. I mean the nerve of this guy even conducting a fraudulent transaction in the first place. I rebutted his false claim and showed Turo my before and after pictures along with my before and after videos as proof of no damages. My case is currently pending investigation. My recommendations for anyone would be to look carefully at the person tags on their vehicle. Please don't be in such a hurry to leave without asking plenty of additional questions. Shame on this host.

Jakaira Johnson
May 29th, 2019 Los Angeles, CA DETAILS

Easy. Trustworthy. Fun. I love Turo so much!