Turo, formerly Relay Rides, is a peer-to-peer car sharing company that started in San Francisco, CA in 2009. Similar to the Airbnb model, local car owners advertise and rent out their vehicles to drivers who would prefer to avoid the standard rental car experience.

The company launched nationally in March of 2012 and is currently available in over 4,500 cities and over 300 airports throughout the United States. Turo is supported by top-tier investors, including August Capital, Google Ventures, Shasta Ventures, Canaan Partners, and Trinity Ventures.

Keep reading for pros and cons, plus Turo reviews from real customers.

#1 Turo chevron_right
4.1
#2 Enterprise CarShare chevron_right
3.7
#3 Uber chevron_right

The Good

• Variety of Vehicles Available
  • Simple Sharing Process
  • Rental Prices and Fees
  • Insurance Coverage

Variety of Vehicles Available

To cater to individual preferences, the company offers over 800 different car models to choose from. Renters can choose from cars, SUVs, minivans, trucks, convertibles, hybrids and vans. One can also filter by rental period for long-term rentals, the vehicle make, features like all-wheel drives, and more.

Simple Sharing Process

Turo has an easy, user-friendly, and customizable rental sign up. In order to sign up for car sharing, create a Turo account by simply signing into your Facebook or email account.

The first time you sign up for a car, all you have to do is enter some general information, choose a car, rental date, and time. You can either decline additional insurance or purchase the Basic or Premium option, each with varying physical damage and liability protection.

In order to get the car and the keys, all the renter needs to do is meet the owner and show them their driver's license. Some owners will even deliver the car right to the renter. Returning the car is simple, as the renter just needs to return the car with a tank full of gas to where it was initially picked up.

Rental Prices and Fees

Turo rents vehicles priced approximately 35% lower than other car rental options. The price ranges depending on what car one gets. There is no membership fee and cars generally go for a flat rate of $40 a day.

In addition to rental fees, buyers may be charged fees for additional miles, parking tickets and cleaning fees. To get the car's trip price, one must multiply the relevant trip rate advertised on the vehicle by the duration. There are also the following fees:

• Trip Fee - 10% of trip price
  • Protection Fee - varies by if one chooses a premium (40% of car's rate), basic (15% of car's rate), or the decline option
  • Young Driver Fee-20% fee of the trip price for people under age 25
  • Delivery Fee-varies based on owner's settings
  • Airport Fee-10% fee of trip price if the rented vehicle is involved in the Turo Airport Lot program

It should also be noted that payment information, including debit card and credit card payments, are made through the Turo app or website, not the rental host.

Insurance Coverage

Owner Protection

With Turo, there are private and commercial hosts. When it comes to Turo’s insurance, owners can either use Turo’s policies or decline coverage to be eligible for a commercial, third-party insurance policy.

Declining coverage: Owners can decline Turo’s insurance coverage. This makes them considered a Commercial Host. As such, they must have their policy verified by Turo prior to renting out any of their vehicles.

Turo’s insurance offers three different tiers of protection for owners to choose from. All three plans come with $1 million in liability coverage and physical damage protection that covers the value of the car, up to $125,000. From there, the plans differ in host deductible, cost, and other amenities.

Premium Package:

• Host deductible for damage to the car: $0
  • Replacement vehicle provided during repairs: Up to $30/day for 10 days
  • Exterior wear and tear coverage
  • Loss of rental income coverage
  • Cost to owner: 35% of trip price

Standard Package:

• Host deductible for damage to the car: $0
  • Replacement vehicle provided during repairs: Up to $30/day for 10 days
  • Cost to owner: 25% of trip price

Basic Package:

• Host deductible for damage to car: Up to $3,000—Turo pays 20% for the first $3,750, then above that they pay up to the $125,000 limit
  • Cost to owner: 15% of trip price

Guest Protection

Just as you would when you rent a car with other rental car companies, before you complete your booking, you have to choose which protection plan you want for your trip.

If you choose a commercial host, then the host will provide you with options. None of the guest plans cover mechanical or interior damage.

If you already have personal insurance, Turo’s coverage will supplement your existing coverage. Policies differ in the amount of liability insurance, deductible payment required, and damage protection.

Supreme Package:

Decline coverage:

• Liability coverage: Minimum for the state where the car is registered
  • Deductible: The full cost of damage
  • No physical damage protection

Roadside assistance is available 24/7 for guests driving a vehicle covered by a Turo protection plan; however, depending on your plan, you may be charged.

Turo will pay for the dispatch fee and there is no charge for tows shorter than 15 miles in the US.

Beyond that, the party that caused the need for a tow will have to pay. Basically, if the car you are renting has a mechanical problem or an issue due to improper maintenance, the owner will have to pay, while locking the keys out or killing the battery by leaving the lights on will leave you, the renter, at fault.

The Bad

• Car Retrieval
  • Restrictions Are Variable
  • Availability Limitations
  • Caring for the Car

Car Retrieval

Since Turo does not operate with clients out of a specific agency, it utilizes car owners that do not use their cars on an everyday basis. Renters must meet the car owner personally in order to pick up the car. Renters may have to go out of their way to retrieve the car if there is not a Turo already at the airport.

Additionally, each renter must show the car owner his or her driver's license, which does have personal information that people may not feel comfortable sharing with a random person.

Restrictions Are Variable

Since Turo does not own the cars, rules and regulations are inconsistent. Some owners allow renters to drive 200 miles a day, while others allow only 100.

Each owner has his or her own set of restrictions, so Turo does not have an overall list of rules for the available cars.

Availability Limitations

Turo does not offer cars in New York. People under 21 years of age cannot rent a car, and people under age 25 have to pay additional fees.

In fact, people under 25 may need to demonstrate at least two years of current US licensed driving history, and potentially can only rent out certain cars because they are considered "high-risk."

Caring for the Car

One thing that is different about the Turo experience is that guests are expected to care for the car as if it were their own. So, if the exterior of the car is significantly dirtier or if it has junk food crumbles inside from a road trip, you have to take it through a car wash and vacuum it out before returning it. If not, you may be charged a cleaning fee between $30 and $250. This is a big differentiator between standard car rental companies and renting a car with Turo.

The Bottom Line

Travelers who want a cheap or out of the ordinary rental vehicle will be satisfied with Turo's offerings. Users can choose the car model, location, and owner.

Finding a unique rental vehicle, on the low or high-end is made easier through Turo's growing community, where owners can use this portal to the sharing economy to make some extra money.

However, keep in mind that service is not available in New York or to potential customers under age 21, and people under age 25 must pay extra fees while renting.

View Best Car Sharing Companies

4.1

JR
July 29th, 2019 Irvine, CA DETAILS

The app is great, except that it is hit or miss with the cars themselves. The car we rented was not maintained well and had several issues.

DyJuan
July 26th, 2019 Toledo, OH

The car I rented was very nice and convenient for my trip. I enjoy it and will most likely use Turo in the future.

KECYA Deshelle THURMAN
July 25th, 2019 Chicago, IL DETAILS

Car was clean person of contact was get and helpful

WILLIAM STANTON
July 25th, 2019 Seminole, FL DETAILS

Everything worked out very well. Sam was very accommodating.

Eric David Smith
July 25th, 2019 Tulsa, OK DETAILS

I've rented my car with turo for about 6 months the last people that lease my car hit something with the underneath side and drugged out did $1,800 worth of damage and turo is completely denying everything on me because they say I didn't take adequate pictures before the vehicle was taken and I took all the pictures that they demand to take at the beginning of the trip does not make any sense dumping turo for sure

Chelsea
July 25th, 2019 Lansing, MI DETAILS

I was able to complete my booking easily online, and acquired my rental car at my destination. There were well placed signs that made it easy to see where I needed to go. Communication through the app was simple and straightforward. I truly had no issues or complications with my reservation.

JEFF GARDNER
July 25th, 2019 Giddings, TX

GREAT PERSON TO DO BUSINESS WITH! GREAT CAR TO RENT, GREAT GAS MILEAGE, RECOMMEND TO ALL RENTERS! VERY CLEAN VEHICAL...

Jalalis1
July 25th, 2019 Fallbrook, CA DETAILS

Great way to drive your dream for a reasonable cost. Best experience ever renting anything!

Mike
July 25th, 2019 Tustin, CA DETAILS

We got a very nice BMW 4238i convertible for a weeks visit to Nashville and Memphis. The owner provided great customer service, was very flexible (we changed pick-up to the airport). The whole process was extremely easy and there was great communication at every step. Turo is always my first consideration for a car when traveling.

Lynn G.
July 25th, 2019 Chandler, AZ DETAILS

Easy to use. Great rates. I like that I could purchase affordable insurance. My car owner kept me informed of everything, including the fact that A/C was broken in the car. My only request is that owners need to be upfront about additional charges (i.e. toll roads). My car owner and I worked something out beforehand, but this should also be disclosed.

Vick
July 25th, 2019 Woodland Hills, CA DETAILS

I have been a host on Turo renting my 2 vehicles out for the last 10 months or so. I can very comfortabley say that they are a huge fraud when it comes to coverage and claims. I have always opted in to their premium insurance coverage which is technically supposed to cover any and all damage over 3 inches on your vehicle during a guests trip. Unfortunately this is a complete sham, lie, and outright false advertising. On several claims that I have opened to be reimbursed for damages they have denied them leaving me to pay out of pocket making the whole business venture a complete waste of time. They always respond to a damage claim by stating it was already there or "pre existing damage". So basically if you have some dirt or debris on your bumper let's say and a guest goes and clips your bumper on a steep driveway or hits some thing, they will send you photos of this dirt/ debris from your archived photos that does not even come close to the new damage and tell you the bumper was already damaged and that your claim is denied. It's sickening and outright rediculous! Their claims department is run by a bunch of incompetent and inexperienced people who are trained to say no and deny you of their advertised policy. In my case these 10 months worth of earnings are now going to my vehicle damage repairs that they denied thus making me a guinea pig for their operation. They use and abuse hosts. Do not be fooled by these people, they are making million s off of us hosts who end up spending our earnings from them on repairing damages that they are legally responsible for. I smell a class action lawsuit very soon. I am disgusted by how they are still in business.

Darsha
July 25th, 2019 Oklahoma City, OK

Awesome experience and very easy to use!

Renee in DC
July 25th, 2019 Washington, DC DETAILS

This is a great car sharing service. I was apprehensive at first but after completing several trips in different parts of the country I am not longer worried. My only wish was that there were more requirements placed on those renting their cars to be sure they are in tip top working order. Tires, lights, wipers etc all working. Some owners try and just rent beaters and don’t take care of them. Do your homework and only rent from those with good reviews;).

Laura Williams
July 22nd, 2019 Allen, TX DETAILS

I recently used Turo to rent a vehicle from Boston L after my adult son told me about Turo and the good experience he had using it. I found the website to be easy to navigate. I was looking for a car that would be mechanically sound and older, as securing a low price for my 11 day rental was important. When I first used the Turo app expensive rentals showed up first, but I set a filter on the app for my price range and found several vehicles to chose from. I was happy with the vehicle I picked. It was a 2010 Toyota that ran fine, had fantastic A/C, and plenty of included miles. The owner that I rented from responded to messages quickly and was easy to work with. He was also courteous. I had no problems during my rental period, so there was no need to contact him then, as I returned the vehicle as arranged, washed and vacuumed, since I got sand in it. So, 5 stars from me: The app was easy to navigate, liability insurance is included at no extra cost, I found a vehicle that fit my budget, my expectations were reasonable for a vehicle 9 years old, and the owner was honest and the car was fine. Don’t hesitate! Try Turo!

Debra L Black
July 22nd, 2019 Midland, NC DETAILS

My experience was great!!! So convenient to have the car delivered to me and picked up from me. You made it so easy!!

Debora
July 22nd, 2019 Euless, TX DETAILS

Brandon was great to work with and his car was in a one condition.

Luiz
July 22nd, 2019 Orlando, FL

It was easy to log in find a car and set up the price and everything

Gwennie
July 22nd, 2019 Burlington, NJ DETAILS

All in all, Turo was a good experience. Reservation was easy to make. Logging on is easy on the app. And our overall experience went well. One of the two things that went wrong was that we were billed for a day we did not use, and I have not figured out how to address it. Our flight was cancelled, which delayed our trip, so I needed to delay the overall trip after it was supposed to begin, due to circumstances with the airline. Canceling was easy, but I was billed for one day. (Not good!). The other snafu was that my car owner forgot to set his car in the driveway, and we had difficulty picking up. (Through no fault of Turo). Those two things have ya a little I’ll feeling about the whole experience.

Davidben2
July 22nd, 2019 Roselle, NJ DETAILS

Fast easy and simple for picking up and dropping off the vehicle

Rich G
July 22nd, 2019 DETAILS

I'd like to see them make it easier to contact a person by chat or phone

Jane
July 19th, 2019 Halstead, KS DETAILS

If you do not need to use Customer Support for Turo, you might be fine...but if you do, it is awful. First, we had a terrible time getting my husband as an approved driver. I did fill out the form wrong, but after 2 weeks of talking to Customer Support and sending photos, we were still no closer to getting him approved. The car owner finally intervened on our behalf and he was approved only a few hours before our rental began. The owner of the car mentioned a rattling sound with the A/C, but she had it checked out and it was "nothing to worry about". Five days into a 10 day rental, the noise became louder. We contacted her and told her. My husband has a degree in auto mechanics and has worked as one. He was worried about the serpentine belt breaking and we mentioned that possibility to the owner. She told us not to worry and to keep driving it unless "the light comes on". Three days later, the A/C stopped working and soon after that, the car started to smoke under the hood. We called Turo and they asked if the car was still "drivable"? Well, yes it was and no light was on, so rather than stopping on the side of the road, we continued on to our destination at a hotel. Once we stopped there, the serpentine belt did break. We also contacted the owner and she agreed to have the car towed back to where she lived. She also told us that the Turo representative promised that they would deliver a car to us for the remaining three days....never happened. In fact, when I called Customer Service, they told me that they couldn't do that but they could give me a 50 credit toward the rental of another Turo car....but who would want to rent us their car just to have it dropped off at a far off location? We ended up wasting 4 hours of our vacation time getting another car from an established rental firm. Also, the Customer Care representatives are VERY difficult to understand and lack common sense. One told me "No worries" but it would take 3 hours to 3 days to approve my husband for rental when we were 4 hours from picking up the car. Another one told me to "document" that the A/C was not working by taking a picture of it.???? I will never use them again!

Alicia Ann Eason
July 19th, 2019 Houston, TX DETAILS

Berlin City Nissan and Aleksandar G were so very accommodating and prompt the Nissan I had was brand new and it was a wonderful rental:) Perfect marks for Alex and BC Nissan and Turo have already told several friends about TURO!!

Bruce CT
July 19th, 2019 Westport, CT DETAILS

Easy to book. Pricing good. Easy to get/return car.

Amanda G McCarty
July 19th, 2019 Houston, TX DETAILS

It was quick and easy to book and most of the people that I rented from we're very friendly

Yeison rodriguez
July 19th, 2019 The Bronx, NY DETAILS

GREAT! Experience cant complain about anything. Would love to do it again soon.

Sam Youssef
July 19th, 2019 Troy, MI DETAILS

It was my first experience with Turo and it was wonderful experience. It wouldn’t be my last. I would recommend it to everyone.

David
July 17th, 2019 Los Angeles, CA DETAILS

Turo is Absolutely the worst car-share company that I know! My car destroyed by the renter and Turo is rejecting to fix my car! THIS IS RIDICULOUS! DO NOT SHARE YOUR CAR! Other renters will destroy your car and Turo will do nothing to fix it! Also, if you cancel your reservation Turo will charge you $50 ABSOLUTLEY MONOPOLY OF THEIR OWN!!

Tameka M
July 16th, 2019 Charlotte, NC DETAILS

This was my first time renting using Turo. I absolutely love being able to pick out the exact car I want. The pricing is fair and the selection is good. I'll definitely use this service again!

Jennifer
July 16th, 2019 Leesville, SC DETAILS

Turo was easy to find a vehicle and payment was secure. I had no issue picking up or dropping off. So much easier than a corporate car rental. The price was the same or even cheaper than a corporate car rentals. The vehicle we rented was perfectly taken care of. I would totally recommend using Turo over others.

Janis
July 15th, 2019 Fort Worth, TX DETAILS

Very pleased with Turo and I have rented vehicles twice on vacation . The app and entire process is seamless and I will definitely use them again !

UnhappyCustomer3455
July 15th, 2019 Lexington, MA DETAILS

I tired making an account and it took over 2 weeks. The support sucks and supposedly they verify you legit to drive with your license, but they don't verify anything. I'd be worried if there's ever an accident. 1) Verify: they never solved the problem as to why I couldn't fill in my driver's licence number to get approved (below) so to try something random I changed my issuing country from USA to USA outlying islands. It worked. I'm from Massachusetts..... Got the idea because entering my state caused my ID number to be invalid. But the other countries didn't require as much info as USA. Even the "USA outlying islands" option didn't need me to specify where I came from. So they don't verify anything. Totally able to lie about everything on the site. I'm not sure i trust them or insurance. 2) Support: The website wouldn't let me input my driver's licence number. I've been emailing and calling turo but no help. First, contacted support on the website and he asked for pictures if myself, my licence, and my credit card (all with the numbers covered). Then no response. No response to follow up email. Tried website support again and no response. Only phone number I could find was from other reviews on Google and they send me to a text help service (first text response came after 1 week). I called Canada support number and they got me to an actual person in the USA. He was nice and said he expected my problem and gave me the verification team email. Said wait 48 hrs for reply. I did and nothing. Emailed verification again and nothing. Text help got back to me today and useless info.

Bethany Rupe
July 15th, 2019 Zephyrhills, FL

Though there were a few complications during pickup and drop off, the overall experience was good. I loved being able to instantly book a rental without jumping through a bunch of hoops. I was able to book instantly without a major credit card, a round trip flight, or a perfect credit score.

Gary Spitnale
July 15th, 2019 Fort Lauderdale, FL DETAILS

My First time and not my last , Very well run program. Jason was excellent in walking me through the Turo process , I would highly recommend them I’ve the commercial car rentals👍

Ariel
July 15th, 2019 Freeport, NY DETAILS

It was a good experience. Didn’t like that i had to wash the car myself and the limited miles..never have to do that with commercial car rental.

Crystal Carrillo
July 15th, 2019 Seattle, WA

First time using Turo and so glad I went with Shamsulh's vehicle. He's very professional, organized and prompt with his responses. He asked for our flight info in order for them to track our flight for a smooth curbside pickup. Derek (Shamsulh's associate) picked us up outside of baggage claim within 10 minutes. We dropped Derek off at the pickup/dropoff location which was 5 minutes from the airport. We ended up renting two beach chairs and an umbrella from them which came in handy. The vehicle was clean, ran well and has AC! I would recommend renting a vehicle from Shamsulh to my family and friends.

Sidney Ung
July 15th, 2019 Long Beach, CA DETAILS

I love turo! They’re conveniently available and prices are great.

Steve Stillman
July 12th, 2019 Canutillo, TX DETAILS

Great service Jamie was there when we arrived van was clean and well maintained. Thank you Jamie and Turo for a great experience. Until next time Steve

Joy
July 12th, 2019 Minneapolis, MN DETAILS

Quick, Painless, Convenient, and overall Great experience.

Denville Thomas
July 12th, 2019 Saint Albans, NY DETAILS

The car was amazing Turo did a fantastic job thank u turo

Shawntae Tumblin
July 12th, 2019 San Pablo, CA

Turo is amazing! Beautiful selection of cars. Top of the line Customer Service. Convenient method to rent; pick up; and drop of your car. Awesome rental rates. Overall, I’ll be using Turo from here on and out. I love it!

Chris Cox
July 12th, 2019 Seymour, TN DETAILS

All went well, with one exception. National parks do not have WiFi! Without a key/fod, you will loose Bluetooth lock/unlock access to car. Cost us three hours finding a way to access the car. Owner/Ken was super helpful. Crisis averted!

Jo
July 11th, 2019 Harrisburg, OR DETAILS

Very accommodating in delivery and pickup of vehicle. Car was clean and comfortable.

Jay Davis
July 11th, 2019 Nashville, TN DETAILS

Great rates that beat the top corporate agencies, and convenience of picking up and dropping of locally. Great service that was much needed.

Ray Esparza
July 11th, 2019 San Jose, CA DETAILS

It was so easy to just pick up the car Hugo everything was claimed not the windows but I could Overlook that I was great on gas and returning it was just as easy I will definitely be using the shop again in the very near future to get another car

Carissa Blair Chatmon
July 11th, 2019 Lancaster, TX DETAILS

Great customer service...great,first time experience...easy,user-friendly app ....overall,highly satisfied & would book again, if need be!!

Akshar Gupta
July 11th, 2019 Seattle, WA DETAILS

I am a host at Turo. A customer rented my car and when he returned , it had a very strong weed smoking smell inside the car. The car also had scratches in the inside near the door , a place that is rarely covered in the any of the pictures. Turo support is the worst as they took 3 days to reply to any sort of communication. Every reply came 2-3 days after my question. They do not have a phone support hat you can reach easily and their support works for a small number of hours everyday. Their policies are extremely biased. I was told that the maximum fine for smoking is $150 and that is IF I CAN PROVE USING PICTURES THAT THE CAR WAS SMOKED IN. How do take pictures of a smell. I asked them to come and small the car if they want. I am never hosting with them again

Gary
July 11th, 2019 Leavenworth, WA

Easy to use. Everything was as advertised. I will use Turo again.

Enuolare Ngofa-Obiaya
July 11th, 2019 Silver Spring, MD DETAILS

There is a lag in customer service communication by email. It took days to get replies from Turo.

Matthew K
July 10th, 2019 Los Angeles, CA DETAILS

BEWARE! I rented a car through turo, documented photographs after picking up and dropping off. The car was damage-free when returned, and the pictures I uploaded reflect that. Host checked the car as well at the time of return and gave me a good review. 16 hours later, hos claims that I caused damages to the car. I have been going back and forth with Turo for 6 months now to tell them that they're not making any attempt to make a fair decision about this claim and we have gotten NOWHERE! The rep that I've been emailing back and forth just tells me to call turo. I made 5 calls politely asking for help with this case - they hung up on me 3 times, the other 2 said "supervisor will call you within 24 hours" but no one ever called me. They're just playing monkey in the middle with me now and I will be contacting the attorney general.

Aimee Lerman
July 10th, 2019 Austin, TX DETAILS

I had a fantastic first experience with Turo. The car owner was quick to communicate and the car was immaculate. There was some small confusion when my arriving flight was late and I received an automated email from Turo threatening to cancel my reservation, but I was able to quickly confirm with the car owner that there was no need to worry. I think Turo is a great (and less expensive) alternative to the traditional car rental agencies and I would definitely use the app again.