Turo, formerly Relay Rides, is a peer-to-peer car sharing company that started in San Francisco, CA in 2009. Similar to the Airbnb model, local car owners advertise and rent out their vehicles to drivers who would prefer to avoid the standard rental car experience.

The company launched nationally in March of 2012 and is currently available in over 4,500 cities and over 300 airports throughout the United States. Turo is supported by top-tier investors, including August Capital, Google Ventures, Shasta Ventures, Canaan Partners, and Trinity Ventures.

Keep reading for pros and cons, plus Turo reviews from real customers.

#1 Turo chevron_right
4.1
#2 Enterprise CarShare chevron_right
3.7
#3 Uber chevron_right

The Good

• Variety of Vehicles Available
  • Simple Sharing Process
  • Rental Prices and Fees
  • Insurance Coverage

Variety of Vehicles Available

To cater to individual preferences, the company offers over 800 different car models to choose from. Renters can choose from cars, SUVs, minivans, trucks, convertibles, hybrids and vans. One can also filter by rental period for long-term rentals, the vehicle make, features like all-wheel drives, and more.

Simple Sharing Process

Turo has an easy, user-friendly, and customizable rental sign up. In order to sign up for car sharing, create a Turo account by simply signing into your Facebook or email account.

The first time you sign up for a car, all you have to do is enter some general information, choose a car, rental date, and time. You can either decline additional insurance or purchase the Basic or Premium option, each with varying physical damage and liability protection.

In order to get the car and the keys, all the renter needs to do is meet the owner and show them their driver's license. Some owners will even deliver the car right to the renter. Returning the car is simple, as the renter just needs to return the car with a tank full of gas to where it was initially picked up.

Rental Prices and Fees

Turo rents vehicles priced approximately 35% lower than other car rental options. The price ranges depending on what car one gets. There is no membership fee and cars generally go for a flat rate of $40 a day.

In addition to rental fees, buyers may be charged fees for additional miles, parking tickets and cleaning fees. To get the car's trip price, one must multiply the relevant trip rate advertised on the vehicle by the duration. There are also the following fees:

• Trip Fee - 10% of trip price
  • Protection Fee - varies by if one chooses a premium (40% of car's rate), basic (15% of car's rate), or the decline option
  • Young Driver Fee-20% fee of the trip price for people under age 25
  • Delivery Fee-varies based on owner's settings
  • Airport Fee-10% fee of trip price if the rented vehicle is involved in the Turo Airport Lot program

It should also be noted that payment information, including debit card and credit card payments, are made through the Turo app or website, not the rental host.

Insurance Coverage

Owner Protection

With Turo, there are private and commercial hosts. When it comes to Turo’s insurance, owners can either use Turo’s policies or decline coverage to be eligible for a commercial, third-party insurance policy.

Declining coverage: Owners can decline Turo’s insurance coverage. This makes them considered a Commercial Host. As such, they must have their policy verified by Turo prior to renting out any of their vehicles.

Turo’s insurance offers three different tiers of protection for owners to choose from. All three plans come with $1 million in liability coverage and physical damage protection that covers the value of the car, up to $125,000. From there, the plans differ in host deductible, cost, and other amenities.

Premium Package:

• Host deductible for damage to the car: $0
  • Replacement vehicle provided during repairs: Up to $30/day for 10 days
  • Exterior wear and tear coverage
  • Loss of rental income coverage
  • Cost to owner: 35% of trip price

Standard Package:

• Host deductible for damage to the car: $0
  • Replacement vehicle provided during repairs: Up to $30/day for 10 days
  • Cost to owner: 25% of trip price

Basic Package:

• Host deductible for damage to car: Up to $3,000—Turo pays 20% for the first $3,750, then above that they pay up to the $125,000 limit
  • Cost to owner: 15% of trip price

Guest Protection

Just as you would when you rent a car with other rental car companies, before you complete your booking, you have to choose which protection plan you want for your trip.

If you choose a commercial host, then the host will provide you with options. None of the guest plans cover mechanical or interior damage.

If you already have personal insurance, Turo’s coverage will supplement your existing coverage. Policies differ in the amount of liability insurance, deductible payment required, and damage protection.

Supreme Package:

Decline coverage:

• Liability coverage: Minimum for the state where the car is registered
  • Deductible: The full cost of damage
  • No physical damage protection

Roadside assistance is available 24/7 for guests driving a vehicle covered by a Turo protection plan; however, depending on your plan, you may be charged.

Turo will pay for the dispatch fee and there is no charge for tows shorter than 15 miles in the US.

Beyond that, the party that caused the need for a tow will have to pay. Basically, if the car you are renting has a mechanical problem or an issue due to improper maintenance, the owner will have to pay, while locking the keys out or killing the battery by leaving the lights on will leave you, the renter, at fault.

The Bad

• Car Retrieval
  • Restrictions Are Variable
  • Availability Limitations
  • Caring for the Car

Car Retrieval

Since Turo does not operate with clients out of a specific agency, it utilizes car owners that do not use their cars on an everyday basis. Renters must meet the car owner personally in order to pick up the car. Renters may have to go out of their way to retrieve the car if there is not a Turo already at the airport.

Additionally, each renter must show the car owner his or her driver's license, which does have personal information that people may not feel comfortable sharing with a random person.

Restrictions Are Variable

Since Turo does not own the cars, rules and regulations are inconsistent. Some owners allow renters to drive 200 miles a day, while others allow only 100.

Each owner has his or her own set of restrictions, so Turo does not have an overall list of rules for the available cars.

Availability Limitations

Turo does not offer cars in New York. People under 21 years of age cannot rent a car, and people under age 25 have to pay additional fees.

In fact, people under 25 may need to demonstrate at least two years of current US licensed driving history, and potentially can only rent out certain cars because they are considered "high-risk."

Caring for the Car

One thing that is different about the Turo experience is that guests are expected to care for the car as if it were their own. So, if the exterior of the car is significantly dirtier or if it has junk food crumbles inside from a road trip, you have to take it through a car wash and vacuum it out before returning it. If not, you may be charged a cleaning fee between $30 and $250. This is a big differentiator between standard car rental companies and renting a car with Turo.

The Bottom Line

Travelers who want a cheap or out of the ordinary rental vehicle will be satisfied with Turo's offerings. Users can choose the car model, location, and owner.

Finding a unique rental vehicle, on the low or high-end is made easier through Turo's growing community, where owners can use this portal to the sharing economy to make some extra money.

However, keep in mind that service is not available in New York or to potential customers under age 21, and people under age 25 must pay extra fees while renting.

View Best Car Sharing Companies

4.1

Shannon Scott
December 8th, 2017 Savannah, GA DETAILS

TURO users beware! As independent business owner who supports the likes of AirBnB, UBER, Lyft, etc, I sadly presumed this company to be on the up and up. It was not. At first I rented a car no problem with the usual requests of a driver's license number, CC, insurance, etc. However, when I went to rent a 2nd car the same day I was returning a first, as they had no ability to do that online, and they do not have phone customer service, I simply thought what any consumer might, "create a 2nd account," same informations. Well this turned into a nightmare and I started to see the sham that TURO is and where all of its weak spots were. Firstly, they have no continental customer service. Its all outsourced. BTW, the 2nd account or 2nd car wasn't an issue as they simply asked me to upload a copy of my driver's license to which I did and then as the "review process" never finished, I started to inquire. Next thing I know is that they've restricted my account, albeit at first, not jeopardizing the one reservation already in place, and then they started asking for more copies of my Driver's License, a picture of me holding it up, a picture of the original credit card and then when that wasn't good enough? And keep in mind, this is hours and days going by nearing my original trip, they wanted copies of my insurance card, a utility bill, proof of employment and on and on and on. The end of this story is that they cancelled my account, they cancelled my original reservation and gave no explanation as to why after supplying basics, I was now not allowed to rent cars. The moral of this story? I went online and rented not one, but 2 cars from Enterprise is 5 minutes.

Bradley Nusbaum
December 1st, 2017 Miami, FL DETAILS

The renter they gave my car to was unverifed and they had no contact info for him to contact him at after he kept my car for almost a week. Had to track car down myself. Car had thousands in damage that Turo refuses to cover after they sold me an insurance policy to cover it. This company will rip you off and stick you with the bill fpr damages caused by their renters!

Amy McMaugh
November 28th, 2017 Harleysville, PA DETAILS

Don't become their next victim. DO NOT USE TURO and DO NOT USE ZACH for your next car rental. They do not care about you or your safety. They delivered a car to us with a nearly flat tire at the busy Denver airport. We were unaware and had no choice but to drive out of the airport as the police were literally yelling at us to stop blocking traffic. Who thinks to check tire pressure before accepting a rental car? Soon after exiting the airport it was clear that something was wrong with the car. It drove like a car with low tire pressure. I thought it was just windy out. We were on a busy highway, in unfamiliar territory, at 10 o'clock at night, and we were not about to pull over. We got to our destination and saw that the rear passenger tire was low. The fact is they delivered this car with a damaged tire. We have it all documented, including photos, and we saved the tire as proof. I texted at least three different numbers first thing in the morning, with no response. I left messages with their valet service and told them I was tired of this and asked what am I supposed to do. When they finally called back I was told they were going to come get the car, and what was my address. I wasn't comfortable doing that without talking to the owner or Turo so I called both. It is impossible to talk to a human being at Turo. Its all text/email crap. Then I finally got through to the emergency line and they said they can't do anything until I get the owner's approval, and that I needed to text/call the owner, Zach. When I finally reached Zach his immediate response was to reprimand me for driving the car for thirty minutes on a "flat" tire. SERIOUSLY?? Then his solution was that he was going to have it TOWED thirty miles away to "Discount Tires" at a cost of $250 for which we would be responsible to pay. In addition we were expected to accompany the car and pay for the repairs. Incidentally there was a "Discount Tires" store less that two miles from where we were staying. I cancelled the tow and got yelled at for that as well, and they threatened to charge us a tow-cancellation fee. We ended up taking the car to Discount Tires ourselves and paid $200+ to replace the tire. Apparently the tire was damaged in a spot on the tire that could not be plugged. So instead of being concerned for us and our safety and taking proper responsibility, they choose to respond with hostility, threats, and contract mumbo jumbo about the contract we signed. We contracted for a car in good condition that was safe to drive and they DID NOTdeliver. The owner, Zach and Turo owes us $200+ for that tire. I'm quite sure we will never see it. I don't care if I get a bad review from them as I will never use Turo again. I have used Turo several times in the past and my reviews have all been good. That is over. Zach and Turo ruined it. DO NOT USE TURO. DO NOT USE ZACH. Edit

Hash
November 27th, 2017 Katy, TX DETAILS

We tried it on Thanksgivings for a last minute trip planned and because almost all other rental services were closed. We didn’t want to drive to nearest airport to rent as it was bit far and explored Turo. I must it say it was a bad decision. We rented 2015 Honda Odyssey and it costed us total of $350 for 2 days. Rental price was $82 per day before app service fees and taxes, but the catch was that it allowed only 150 miles maximum each day and each additional mile was charged at the rate of $0.75 per mile. We had to drive close to 170 miles additional and it costed us nicely. Every rental car Company would give you unlimited miles but not Turo! Yes, we knew of these charges while renting the car but we had to rent as their was no other rental option available to us. Rent from Turo only if price is not a concern or no other option is available. Bottomline, they are extremely uncompetitive and i’d not recommend them unless case of emergency.

Y. W.
November 20th, 2017 Temple City, CA DETAILS

Do not ever ever rent from this company. You'll truly regret it. We had gotten into a car accident and it turns out the tire was rotten. We tried to argue that we shouldn't be paying any out of pocket expenses because it's the owner's fault for not taking care of their car and tires. We could have almost died due to the rot on the tires. We had proof and a tire inspection done as well. However, Turo didn't even listen to our side of the story and charged us right away for the damages. The owner himself didn't even care that we almost lost our lives due to his carelessness. AVOID THIS COMPANY AT ALL COSTS.

Arndt
November 13th, 2017 Louisville, KY DETAILS

I can only warn everyone NOT to use Turo and avoid a similarly horrible service experience that I have undergone!! For a trivial service incident, that is changing the name of the person to pick up a rental car in Santa Monica from me to my adult son, Turo requested, in no less than 10 mails from 4 different "service" agents, a copy of my original mail with the rental contract, a copy of my passport, a picture of me holding this passport, a copy of my drivers license (front and back), a picture of me holding this license, a copy of my credit card, a copy of my son's passport, a picture of him holding this passport, a copy of his drivers license (front and back), a picture of him holding this license. But guess what: Even though we sent all this stuff, they still did not get it done. Not in three days. But it gets worse: In a long phone call, yet another "service" agent asked for us to cancel the first booking, free of charge, and re-book it under a separate name - which we did. Yesterday, three weeks later, I find both debits on my credit card account. Needless to say, again there is noone in charge, noone with decision making authority, just a bunch of bedlams in the call center who are as incompetent as friendly. I have now asked the credit card company to simply return the debit. My conclusion: Stay clear of booking with Turo...!

Rupesh Kumar
November 7th, 2017 Atlanta, GA DETAILS

Turo has worst system, they rely on the car owner's decision, if the car owner complain they fine, without giving any warning. And some of the car owner plays double standard, they communicate to renter something and turo something else. I used just 4-5 Gallon gas in CAR and filled with 8-9 Gallon of gas and the car owner Francis and turo together, without giving any information charged huge amount from me. In turo Car owner can do whatever, and turo would listen to car owner. I was unneccesorily charged 75$.

ward harrison
November 6th, 2017 Tulsa, OK DETAILS

I signed up with TURO and leased my Audoi A8L within 2 days for the weekend. I received this message from the person whom I received a confirmation on thru TURO and gladly said he could pick it up early, within an hour of hime picking it up TURo sent me a cancellation. Needless to say that TURo hosed me on the 2 day rental even though i called them 6 times to make sure everything was cool. Hi, Ward. I was trying to book this through the app yesterday but was having a lot of difficulty with it. I was trying to see if I can get the car by 1 PM today if possible? But the app is now telling me that I need to give you at least 12 hours notice ? would it be possible to pick it up before 4:30 PM and around 1:00am today? Because that is when I will be arriving at the airport today. Please call or text me thank you. (202) 569-0266. GD V.Friday, October 20, 4:51 AM CDT GD V. Member since October 2017 GD V. Phone number verified Email verified RESERVATION #2354619 DO NOT Trust TURO or any of their representitives.

Ken Brokaw
November 2nd, 2017 Charlotte, NC DETAILS

I usually don't leave reviews but this has by far been the worst experience. I used to rent out my vehicle with Turo and had 3 claims in a row due to accidents. They didn't want to cover half of the damages done to the vehicle and their support team consists of third parties and people with lack of caring to help anyone. I also rented from them as well and the experience was terrible. Do not use this company as they are a SCAM!

igor Vatsko
October 27th, 2017 West Palm Beach, FL DETAILS

Telling this story hope you read before you think it’s a good idea to rent your car true turo. I have been renting my car true turo since January 2017 till August when my car was stolen by guy name Christian. Christian didn’t have valid drivers license, I guess turo doesn’t care about that, when Police recover the car I found damage on my car in interior multiple cut on the leather exterior dents and scratches mechanically car piling to the right side. So I summited the damage and turo got back to me saying that they will pay only for one dent on back of my car but not for the rest of the damage.. To fix my car is $19000 they offer me $726. And one more thing read the terms and conditions you can’t take TURO to court only arbitration I know that now. So now they not going to pay and I stack with damaged car and no I can’t take that guy to court cos he is junky. Hopefully that will change your mind renting your car true turo.

Cheri Ashcraft
October 20th, 2017

Got a car for trip with 4 bad tires. Spent my vacation in Big O. Safety and maintenance should be a priority. I could have been hurt!

Robert Borman
October 17th, 2017

I drove one of their cars from San Francisco to Sonoma for a wedding. The clutch failed on my way back across the Golden gate Bridge. They are now charging me over 2000 dollars because I broke the clutch!! I did not abuse the car in any way. I actually owned 2 minis both with manual transmissions and drove them over 200,000 miles between them and never had to replace a clutch. But with Turo if it breaks while you are driving it.....you are on the hook! Maybe you should have your mechanic run thru the car before you risk renting from this scam operation. I wish I had gone thru a real company. Lesson learned

Vince C
October 11th, 2017 West Chester, PA

Totally love Turo! Makes renting out my cars a breeze! Always meeting new people is certainly a plus... it’s jusy so much nicer than your regular big box rental company

Cassandra D.
October 4th, 2017 San Jose, CA

Good in theory, but not so great when you start using it. The cancellation policy is ridiculous. The app is confusing and not at all user-friendly. Luckily I had a great experience with the driver that picked up my car. When I called customer service, I kept getting different information every time. This is the biggest frustration I have. Being charged for cancellation fees for things you didn't do is really frustrating.

DMN
October 2nd, 2017 Reston, VA

Stay away! I registered with Turo and received a welcome, reserved a car and received confirmation using my credit card with the charges made. Then I received an email notifying me that my reservation had been cancelled. I contacted the owner of the car by phone, who was very pleasant and indicated that he had not cancelled so to call Turo Customer support. I then received an email saying that my account had been "deactivated", and after a call and two emails, was in effect told that they had the right to cancel and could not disclose why. I have not had a driving violation, my credit is excellent and I have no idea why it was deactivated after processing my payment. Now I await a credit within 3-5 days. A friend had the same experience. We are both over 60, which I hope is not an issue, but TURO lost two customers and I would strongly advise against using this company.

David D
October 2nd, 2017 Takoma Park, MD

Owner did not show up on time. Cancelled and they charged me. Figured I’d call customer service to resolve but there is no recourse if the owner doesn’t show up on time. You can’t cancel. Cost me $151.

Mike Wasby
September 29th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

It has been 3 weeks and Turo is yet to help me set up an account. I have been passed around between 5 different costumer representatives with each of them parroting the demands of the previous one and not a single one of them actually took the time to read up on what was taking place earlier. A bunch of lazy and unprofessional representatives who just spit out what they are told and have no capacity to think for their own. Worst costumer support of the month.

Timberly
September 28th, 2017

Worst customer service I have dealt with in a very long time. I was stranded and walking, my account was up for verification. They couldn't tell me a time frame, couldn't connect me to the verification Dept., And there was no supervisor I could speak with. Absolutely horrible!!!!

SMoin
September 14th, 2017

Totally unethical company with bad customer service. First they provided the membership and when I tried to book the car and waiting to hear back from the owner, they suddenly deactivate the membership. They don't even tell you the reason. I have completely clean driving record, got high-end insurance and their response is: "Thanks for reaching out. We have carefully reviewed your case and our decision is final. Per Turo policy, mentioned in our previous email, we are not able or obligated to release the details of our review process. Please note that further communications from you will be read, but not responded to. Best, Turo Verification Team

Jacquelyn Son
August 29th, 2017

Very bad first impression! Booked a car, owner did not respond in a timely manner so we had to cancel. A refund was received but was over $70 short because of the difference in exchange rate. We paid with a Canadian card and the amount was in USD. However, no mention in the policies about not accounting for differences in exchange rates or else we could have acted differently (paid with a USD card). Customer service couldn't do anything, offered credit but we will not be using site again. They offered to talk to someone to put policy on site but didn't help our current situation. Very disappointed.

Jennie Rosio
August 24th, 2017

I could not even get a question answered. All I wanted to know was: Can you rent a car in one location, and return it to a different one? They emailed back 6 hours later with three unrelated articles to sit down and read (e.g., "Cleaning your car before you return it," and two others). These articles were followed by a question. "Does this answer your question?" Hitting reply generated a return email. In a chipper and upbeat tone, the letter informed me that there is basically no easy way to reach any human being with Turo.

Anon
August 17th, 2017

Was told that I am unable to rent with the company. I emailed asking why, and was only told that I don't fit the requirements for renting. Emailed them again asking if there was something I could do in order to fit said requirements, and was denied an answer. The only answer their customer support could give me was: "Thanks for reaching out. We have carefully reviewed your case and our decision is final. Per Turo policy, mentioned in our previous email, we are not able or obligated to release the details of our review process. Please note that further communications from you will be read, but not responded to." I'm assuming they can pick and choose who rents, because I was told they are not able to release their review process. Bad enough they don't tell you how you can become an eligible renter. What a load of crap.

Erica M Ruyle
August 15th, 2017 WI

I reserved two cars for my upcoming business trip. 3 days before my trip, the owner cancelled my car. No biggie right? I got a message from Turo saying it was cancelled but they were there to help! Just respond to the email with the car you want and they'd get it worked out on your behalf. I did that and heard nothing.. 1 day goes by...nothing. Day 2, still nothing so I call. The customer service agent was not at all helpful. Took my phone number and told me that a reservation agent would call me. That NEVER happened. They are supposed to refund me the money and I can't rent something else until they do. Worst customer service ever and it''s not worth the anxiety!

tanman
August 14th, 2017 San Jose, CA

BE Very careful about using this company over other rental services as what happened to me. I had rented a car a month in advance for a trip, then a few days before the trip, I get a message that my car has been canceled. The owners reason because car needed maintenance., This really messed up my situation as all rental cars were not available at the time because of a special event in that city. Turo doesnt hold the person renting vehicle out accountable, but i read that the renter is fined if they cancel, " what bull is that". Stay away if you can, better and more reliable options out there.

yan
July 26th, 2017

Although I understand that some circumstances may occur so a rental cannot be delivered as paid and agreed upon, the customer service that followed the last minute cancellation from Turo is totally unacceptable. My girlfriend and I arrived at the airport at 4pm and since we had not heard from the car owner we tried to contact him one more time without success. We then call Turo so they could also try to contact the owner but they were also unsuccessful. All they offered us is a refund, a $50 credit (originally $30) and 3 alternative rental options (received by email later when we had no access to internet) that were not only much more expensive or completely unacceptable but required us to wait at least 3 more hours (past 8pm) when we already only had 4 days vacation and none were available for the full period required. The customer representative showed no understanding or will in solving our situation. All he said is that the best he could do was to give us the credit and he forced the conversation to end. We then had to fall back on the car rental from the airport and most companies were sold out. Only 2 companies had some car left, the first one quoted us for $700 USD plus taxes and fees (as opposed to the original $120 booked) for a Chevrolet Aveo, that is how compromising and costly it is to rely on a rental from Turo and having to revert to last minute option. After waiting many more hours, we were able to secure a car for over $500 CAD for a 4 days rental. At the very least, Turo should offer fair and safe options for customers especially when they are traveling in another country. This seem like the only reasonable business model to succeed in such a market.

Rita N
July 17th, 2017

So, I tried to rent a truck from Turo for my daughter's SuperCon trip next week. I'm on crunch time so I'm desperate to get this over with already. I tried, whenever I had some downtime, to rent from them, either a truck or a mini van to transport all of her artwork and all of her equipment via their mobile app. I continued to get an error message from their app stating that I should call customer service. Well, finally, when I had a little bit of downtime to contact customer service, I was told by their automated system that I couldn't speak to a representative and that I would have to communicate via text. Another bummer. I did as I was told by the automated system and I texted a phone number they gave me. I texted them with my concerns and I let them know that their application was consistently crashing. I did get a response back but the only response I got was that they would not be able to rent me a vehicle through their company. Of course, naturally, I became upset because I have never rented from them before and I was wondering what basis they had for determining that they could not provide me with service. I expressed to them via text that I was insulted and that I wanted to speak to a supervisor. I still could not wrap my head around why they wouldn't rent me a vehicle. I explained to them that I wanted to speak with a supervisor. After a couple minutes they responded that all determinations that are made by their team are final and that they would not be responding to any future text messages from me. I've never been so insulted in my life. What kind of customer service is this? I will be writing as many reviews as possible to share my experience. Went on their FB page to write a review and low and behold... no reviews section. How convenient.

david
July 13th, 2017 Los Angeles, CA

over an hour on hold when needed immediate help, then rude and unhelpful help. owner was horrible to deal with. would not recommend turo in any way . IF any money saved not worth the experience.

Joshua Virkler
June 27th, 2017 Kissimmee, FL

I created an account on Turo, and rented a car. Several hours later I was notified by email that they had cancelled my reservation and closed my account. I wrote back and forth several times with them, and they refused to provide a reason or allow me to make any changes in order to comply with their secret policies. It took me a lot of correspondence with them, and asking to have my account reviewed by a manager, but finally I was able to submit additional verification of my identity and have my account reinstated.

Mariah Christine
June 22nd, 2017 Baltimore, MD

I am in owner of multiple vehicles I rent out in the Baltimore area. I use multiple platforms but Turo is the best. They are fast when it comes to claims, which I have had to use twice. They are helpful on the emergency line. They get back to your emails within 2 days. The only thing that I don't like is there is not enough notice and dissemination of policy changes! I pay close attention to my money and I rent out cars multiple times per week and sometimes multiple times per day. Therefore, I know immediately when something has changed. I'll go on facebook or twitter and check my email and there will be no mention of the change. Then when I reach out to customer service, they will act like idk what I'm talking about until I press the issue and show them proof that policies have changed that affect my bottom line. If they make that small change and stay the way they are otherwise, I would give them a 10 rating. I felt compelled to write because I'm seeing a lot of disgruntled drivers (not owners) giving bad reviews. If you treat the car the way you would want your car to be treated, you would most likely not have any issues. Now if you do have issues because I'm sure not all owners are truthful or care about customer service, your problem still would have most likely be resolved with adequate documentation on your part such as taking pictures on your own, recording mileage, keeping track of how much you drive, communicating within the app, etc.

Marcus Wulliams
June 21st, 2017 Chicago, IL

I listed my car on this site to rent. The person who rented it trashed my car. I filed a claim and the claim supervisor could of cared less. He told me to have fun suing because they're not going to pay a dime. This is literally the worst ride sharing company & customer service I've ever witnessed. It's just a giant scam.

Alex Bilbao
June 19th, 2017

I have used this app 3 times and it has never convinced me. - The customer service is very inconsistent and does not resolve anything. - The communications with the owners can be difficult and the service is too informal. When evrything goes ok no problem...when you have any issue good luck: you are on your own. - I thought the service was a good deal in the market but after done a better research I've realized that more serious and traditional rental car services have same or even better prices. - That said I dont see a real benefit using this app, I am very dissapointed

Tercio Borba Filho
June 1st, 2017

After renting a Ford Mustang with Turo app during my stay in the USA, there were an entire list of unauthorized charges on my credit card account with diverse excuses. Ihave reached out to the support team whom have decided to resolve the issue in favour of the renter, Ms. Jackie. Though my experience with the car was great, the app gave the owner access to debiting my card whenever they wanted for whatever they felt appropriate. I have now contacted Mastercard who will take care of the Charge Back and resolve this issue directly. As a customer of Turo, whom I have handed my security details (Credit Card and Personal information), a terrible customer service and no safety of trade in this platform. Will continue using official and trustworthy car rental companies. Don't recommend this service to anyone who wants to travel with peace of mind. Thank you. Regards, Tercio Borba

Richard R. Brant
May 23rd, 2017

I was prohibited from renting from Turo after one rent. The car owner was very happy. Turo said I used the car for business purposes because I took it to a place where I needed to do business. I questioned this and Turo support said I was OK to rent again but they never lifted the ban. Turo support is impossible to reach and only sends out form letters (E-mails) to questions after a several day delay. I have sent them copies or THEIR E-mails but they don't take any action on my problem. You can NEVER contact a live person for help. It is kind of scary. What if you rented a car and something went really wrong and needed to get some help?

Nicolas Vandenberghe
May 22nd, 2017

HIDDEN TERMS - HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE Turo is a great idea, I've rented with them several times and have loved the opportunity to drive different types of cars. However I just had the worst customer experience with them. I rented a car under the terms "Delivery & Pick up Los Angeles International Airport". When came the time to get my car, I was told that I need to send a text message to a service that would send a shuttle to LAX and take me to a nearby parking lot. I told them this was not acceptable to me as I had a tight time commitment. I asked for a refund since this is an essential change of term and it should have been disclosed in the offer. Their response was to tell me I had no choice and to hang up on me.

guido krombacher
May 17th, 2017

turo support is a mess. the damage was visible in the before photos already, I still got charged USD 500.-. I'm waiting to get refunded for TWO MONTHS now. terrible and disrespectful service.

Lee Kurisu
May 12th, 2017 Los Angeles, CA

I lost the car key, and was happy to pay the owner to replace it. What i was not happy about is the $100 service fee the Turo charged me to "process" this payment. I was shocked by this amount, and they refused to reduce it, even to $50.

Weiqing Li
May 11th, 2017

Beware of Turo! I listed a car that I do not normally use and had a few smooth trips and Turo handsomely get their 25% cut. However, when issues happen, Turo stopped being handsome or helpful. The traveler who rented my car was stuck in traffic in city and cannot return the car in time. I, in a hurry to catch a plane, chose to be nice and told the traveler just to park the car back to where he picked up. Unfortunately, the traveler parked the car on other people's driveway due to negligence I presume. The owner of that house was nice and waited 2 days before seeing nothing was happening and called police and have it being towed. I, being out of the country, was unaware of the situation until I got back. I went through quite a bit of trouble getting the car back and reported the incident to Turo. However, it is just the start. Instead of trying to resolve the issue, the escalation lead I am dealing with, Luke, was trying everything to deny any responsibility and refuse to reimburse me. I provided all kinds of documents: tickets, receipts, registrations. What I got back after days of back and forth is cannot help. Main reason being it is not within the 24 hour time frame, which is the company policy. I am deeply disappointed. Within 24 hour or not, it is not my responsibility that cause the vehicle being towed. When we rent the car out on Turo, we form a contract with Turo. Instead of hold their end of contract, Turo is just denying of any responsibility. We trusted Turo and share our car on Turo when we do not need them. When things are well, it works well. However, if something like this happens, as an individual, we cannot mitigate the loss and is just screwed. I am here recommending all my friend and people beware. It is a big risk to list your car on Turo. The platform, contrary to what you might think, takes not responsibility.

John Stemmerman
May 8th, 2017

I was a happy Turo user until my close friend, who I convinced to rent his Dodge Ram on here had his vehicle stolen while using the app and they're not taking responsibility. They cancelled the trip after he rented it because the driver was not approved to drive. The vehicle has not been returned and they did nothing. I am a witness to this transaction as it happened at our office and I believe they're at fault here. I hope they realize that their business is based on vehicle owners and if you don't protect them you will have no business. I will no longer rent my Corvette and Mercedes on this app until Turo starts backing the owners. Update... it looks Turo is stepping up to the play now. I'll keep you posted.

Brittany Bigsbee
May 1st, 2017 Miami, FL

I have rented from Turo before in the past, and never had an issue. I went to rent again and received a message that I was unable to rent. I sent a message to customer service and they advised that they have to take additional steps to verify my identity and for me to send a picture of my license, a picture of myself holing my license and a picture of my debit card. I thought that process was weird, but I did so to verify my identity. After 3 days of not hearing back from anyone in customer service I followed up and I received an email that my membership was denied I replied back to the email, and asked the lady Paula Alcasid why was I being denied after reading the qualifications on their website, and I meet all of the criteria I have a valid license, Full coverage insurance, and over 25. She was very rude and advised that "Turo does not release the details of our review process as doing so would compromise its effectiveness". I then explained to her that this is not making sense, and that I would like to know what the qualifications are based off of since what the website states I meet, and at this point I sent her all of my identity information and clearly from the picture she could see that I am Black she came back again and stated that "We have carefully reviewed your case and our decision is final. Per Turo policy, mentioned in our previous email, we are not able or obligated to release the details of our review process. Please note that further communications from you will be read, but not responded to". I stressed back to her that I feel discriminated against, because there is no reason for me to be denied based on the qualifications listed on her website and the fact that they had me send pictures to verify my identity made me feel like this was a common case of discrimination. Also from reading renting a car through here is to the discretion of the owner of the vehicle and if that owner chooses to cancel the trip one hour before the trip they can do so which is unprofessional and unreliable.

Cara Bates
April 25th, 2017

If anything goes wrong, you are screwed. I actually caused some damage when backing out of a parking garage on the car I was renting. My fault, I know. So I had to go through their claims department, which was a complete disaster and cost me thousands of dollars, despite the damage being very minor. 3 months after the incident, I was shown an estimate that included parts of the vehicle that were not at all related to the damage I caused, which can be proven by comparing the estimate to the documented photos (for example, $500 worth of glass, when the damage wasn't even close to any glass parts of the car; front passenger side work, when the damage was on the drivers rear side). Yet, ten minutes after I received the request for payment, I got a second email threatening to send the issue to a collections agency due to "several attempts to contact me," though I had clearly received the final payment request that day. Though it was clear that damage on the estimate did not match the photos of the damage I caused, I paid the balance right away ($2,200!!!!) due to the immediate threat of this being sent a collections agency and damaging my credit permanently. The false claim by Turo that they had "attempted to contact me several times," and therefore had a reason to send this to a collections agency, was a grossly obvious attempt to get me to pay an unfair balance without the opportunity to dispute it. A collections agency, of course, cannot deal with disputes of this nature. Once it's in the hands of a third party, disputes about payment cannot be resolved. So, good job, Turo, you got me to pay over $2,000 for 2 small scratches by purposefully denying my rights as a driver and consumer. What's the commission Turo gets from renters screwing over their customers? Hope it was worth it.

Marissa Comstock
April 24th, 2017 Berkeley, CA

I created an account and had a temporary Drivers License from the DMV. They suspended my account and said I had to have the actual license and they don't accept temporary licenses. That's fine. I got my California Drivers License in the mail a few days later and emailed their support team to ask them to reinstate my account and attached a photo of my drivers license. I then got an email back that I did not meet their qualifications and they were officially revoking my account. ??? I can't sign in. There's no other information. They asked for my Drivers License, I gave it to them. They declined my account? How does that make any sense at all??

Mark Treston
April 19th, 2017

Renter crashed my car and Turo was unwilling to fix it and has been dragging their feet for months while I don't have my car. The renter and myself have both been paying insurance to Turo. They double dip on by charging both the renter and owner for insurance but then do not even deliver.

Ricardo Morales
April 17th, 2017 Brooklyn, NY

if you own a nice luxury/exotic vehicle do not rent with these people. Last person to rent my own BMW 335 gave it back to me with scratched rims, broken Rear-Passenger tire, and also popped the F-Passenger tire and replaced it with a tire of a different cheaper brand than the one it previously had. Its been two months already, and although I have records of texts received from the renter the day prior to scheduled return admitting what he had done to my car. The agent I got made me go through a bunch of loopholes at first and then banished on me. She doesn't reply to the emails. I managed to get her number after calling support on the ResolveAClaim App and have been calling for the last 3 days and shes never on the phone; I've left voice mails but she doesn't get back. It is insane to think they already charged the renter 3 weeks ago $500 from his card which I assume was his deductible but yet haven't even gotten in contact with me. I also have Premium giving TURO 35% of my earnings in case something like this happened but its completely a rip off! As they do not seem to care for when these kind of situations take place and us owners are screwed. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY IF YOU CARE ABOUT YOUR CAR. Good articles are most like paid advertisement by these people to get you to think your car is safe with them.

Cynthia
April 12th, 2017 San Francisco, CA

Everything is great about this place until something goes wrong or the owner of the car claims damage. I rented 2 cars with the company with great reviews from both owners. Then the third car I rented all the sudden had a scuff on it, which I know I did not cause. My $50 a day rental turned into $1100, which was drafted immediately from my account with no follow up. Next they closed my account, providing 0 reason or notification. They do not make phone calls, give you warning about what and when they will drafting money, or provide options for how to contest the claim. It has been an absolute nightmare because of a scuff. Now I may not be able to pay school this semester, I am investigating small claims court and filing a claim against them with National Insurance Claim Bureau. This company is only looking out for themselves. Do not give them your account information. Go buy your own car instead. This company is design to scam money out of people.

Scott
April 3rd, 2017

Had a guy rent my truck. Hit something with the front, scratching off paint in quite a large area. Dented the back chrome bumper, ripped up a chunk in one of my door panels. Turo says the rear bumper is normal wear and tear even though it was right at 3 inches. It was on the step piece under the license plate which is only 3/4 of an inch thick vertically and the dent was creased 3 inches horizontally (like he backed into a pole). Backing into something is "normal wear and tear"??? Scratches I understand, to dent a chrome bumper is pretty evident of misuse. I took pictures of everything on at least 3 different occasions, while being bounced back and forth between claims agents, (one set of pics are the bunch I uploaded after the trip of all the damage),for some reason, the Turo claims rep(s) cannot access them. I was completely ghosted for exactly a month( I wrote everything down), Called and called and called. They always say that they have messaged the claims department and they will reach out. I did this 2-3 times a week for 4 weeks, and nothing back. Finally someone from a third party company calls me after I threatened to go to court. They are with a company out of San Diego (where I live) that is subcontracted to do the estimates. They asked me to send pictures..... I'd mentioned to the gentleman how long I have been waiting to hear back from someone and he said that the notice just came through 15 min prior to us speaking. I Sent over the pictures via the app that they had me download, and in three days, got an estimate. (Back up a little: I got estimates for $1680, $1750 and $ 2050.) They sent me an estimate to fix the paint in the front and up until I got the estimate, I didn't even know what they were even going to rule out. The rear bumper alone without being installed is $350. They Gave me an estimate to be all of $437, sent me a quick link to collect the cash and that was it. They must think that if they wave cash in front of peoples faces that they will just take it and run. Their labor rate was estimated at $40 an hour. WHAT? Since when? 10 years ago?!! I told them fine, Ill take my truck to where the prices are that low ( waisting MORE of MY time)... Nothing, complete silence. Here I sit, back to calling them again, being told that I will be contacted by this Dianna lady, and since then the site to collect my stingy $437 has timed out & I cant even collect that. On a side note: I just rented a car up in northern Ca, and the guy was telling me that a renter smashed his windshield on one occasion. He went through Turo with the claim, got $80 bucks out of the deal & after talking with the renter, he mentioned that he got charged $500. Wasn't even enough to cover the windshield, and Turo raked in some money on the deal. Turo has such a good thing going, wont be long before someone else sweeps in and shows a little more common courtesy to customers. You can see the good reviews right on this page are written by people they hire to do it. Just by the way they are worded. I mean c'mon...

channa coop
April 3rd, 2017 Arlington, TX

This will be my first time renting from here and I am sad to say I am very very disappointed. As a previous reviewer stated if it too good to be true it mostly likely is. My husband and I booked a trip, we had to meet him to get the car, cool no problem. We called him the night before, we messaged and no response. The phone kept going to voicemail. Now to get to customer service was so annoying. They weren't open, I sent a email, auto response. Then we finally had to contact the emergency line to get to speak to anyone. The rep. called him no response, she wanted us to wait a little longer hmmmm no we have to be somewhere at 8:30 a.m. It is now 8:05 like come on. She said okay she understands, she will refund it. Happy ok good, we tried to get her name and reference number just in case something else goes wrong.She gave her first name, then she said there is no reference number but she will send a email. (no reference number to me is weird) then we asked for her last name nope she can't give us that and then she started rushing us off the phone. Received the email later and it has her FULL NAME ON IT, so what's the point of denying what we asked for in the first place?! Overall I'm just frustrated and annoyed. Never booking with them again. 2 stars because she did help, if I don't receive my money within the time frame I'm supposed to get it back this will go down to a 0.

Ugh srsly
March 23rd, 2017 Redondo Beach, CA

As an owner with 400 rentals, I can promise you that Turo does not have your back. One recent example, I was 19 minutes late delivering a car 20 miles across town in LA traffic and the guy bailed on me. Rented a car from the Long Beach airport curb with no consideration for myself despite this being a community by all accounts and specifically according to Turo and he was allowed to even though I had already gotten there. The guy, Edward Levin of NYC is clearly not the kind of guy you want in this community but they are absolving him of the rental contract because I was more than 15 minutes late. I cannot believe that at the 16th minute all money and time spent on washing the car, driving in 40 miles roundtrip in LA traffic and all other scheduling and prep work goes away so long as the renter chooses to be a jerk. I also had a car stolen and they are purposely dragging out the loss claims process even though I'm still paying the car note and insurance. Also, I buried the lead, YOU DON'T MAKE A PROFIT. LOL. Largely due to their sizable fees for everything but also because the competition is brutal, which isn't their fault. Wish I'd never become an Owner on their platform.

Vanessa Gail Jenkins
March 20th, 2017

I would strongly discourage anyone from using this service. They are asking for trouble with all of their practices. It reminds me of the old saying, "if it's too good to be true, it usually is". The number one problem, is the fact they charge your card, before you even pick up the car. And the book instantly option is a joke. To make a long story short, I have been unable to pick up the vehicle twice. Either the car had not been returned by the renter, the owner did not know when it would be returned. Basically, one thing or the other. But, keep in mind, they already have my money. After the latest incident, just yesterday, 03/17/17, I called my bank, to file a claim for a refund. If you are in the Tacoma, WA area, I would steer clear of car owner Shantale G. She is not serious about business. I don't know what kind of scams they have going on. The only reason I even give them a 1 rating, is because Customer Service was very helpful, during the first incident, and processed my refund, with a 10.00 credit. But even that is not enough. They really need to shut this company down. Once they popularity catches on, there are going to be an increase in serious issues, such as car theft, etc.

Christopher
March 15th, 2017 San Francisco, CA

Loved that my host delivered curbside and appreciated their customer service team going above and beyond to help me out when another host wasn't able to be reached

Amanda
March 13th, 2017

I was very excited to use this new service to rent a car for my family's trip to Disneyland. The day of our trip, the car owner, Ivan, said he couldn't pick us up in the car at the airport so we would have to use the Turo valet service. That "service" meant that we would arrive at the airport at 9:45pm with two young children and wait for over an hour for their shuttle to take us to the off site parking lot which was 10 minutes away. When I expressed my frustration to him about this he cancelled our ride completely. This happened while we were on the way to the airport. Turo customer service was completely unhelpful. I will NEVER use this service again.