Turo, formerly Relay Rides, is a peer-to-peer car sharing company that started in San Francisco, CA in 2009. Similar to the Airbnb model, local car owners advertise and rent out their vehicles to drivers who would prefer to avoid the standard rental car experience.

The company launched nationally in March of 2012 and is currently available in over 4,500 cities and over 300 airports throughout the United States. Turo is supported by top-tier investors, including August Capital, Google Ventures, Shasta Ventures, Canaan Partners, and Trinity Ventures.

Keep reading for pros and cons, plus Turo reviews from real customers.

#1 Turo chevron_right
4.1
#2 Enterprise CarShare chevron_right
3.7
#3 Uber chevron_right

The Good

• Variety of Vehicles Available
  • Simple Sharing Process
  • Rental Prices and Fees
  • Insurance Coverage

Variety of Vehicles Available

To cater to individual preferences, the company offers over 800 different car models to choose from. Renters can choose from cars, SUVs, minivans, trucks, convertibles, hybrids and vans. One can also filter by rental period for long-term rentals, the vehicle make, features like all-wheel drives, and more.

Simple Sharing Process

Turo has an easy, user-friendly, and customizable rental sign up. In order to sign up for car sharing, create a Turo account by simply signing into your Facebook or email account.

The first time you sign up for a car, all you have to do is enter some general information, choose a car, rental date, and time. You can either decline additional insurance or purchase the Basic or Premium option, each with varying physical damage and liability protection.

In order to get the car and the keys, all the renter needs to do is meet the owner and show them their driver's license. Some owners will even deliver the car right to the renter. Returning the car is simple, as the renter just needs to return the car with a tank full of gas to where it was initially picked up.

Rental Prices and Fees

Turo rents vehicles priced approximately 35% lower than other car rental options. The price ranges depending on what car one gets. There is no membership fee and cars generally go for a flat rate of $40 a day.

In addition to rental fees, buyers may be charged fees for additional miles, parking tickets and cleaning fees. To get the car's trip price, one must multiply the relevant trip rate advertised on the vehicle by the duration. There are also the following fees:

• Trip Fee - 10% of trip price
  • Protection Fee - varies by if one chooses a premium (40% of car's rate), basic (15% of car's rate), or the decline option
  • Young Driver Fee-20% fee of the trip price for people under age 25
  • Delivery Fee-varies based on owner's settings
  • Airport Fee-10% fee of trip price if the rented vehicle is involved in the Turo Airport Lot program

It should also be noted that payment information, including debit card and credit card payments, are made through the Turo app or website, not the rental host.

Insurance Coverage

Owner Protection

With Turo, there are private and commercial hosts. When it comes to Turo’s insurance, owners can either use Turo’s policies or decline coverage to be eligible for a commercial, third-party insurance policy.

Declining coverage: Owners can decline Turo’s insurance coverage. This makes them considered a Commercial Host. As such, they must have their policy verified by Turo prior to renting out any of their vehicles.

Turo’s insurance offers three different tiers of protection for owners to choose from. All three plans come with $1 million in liability coverage and physical damage protection that covers the value of the car, up to $125,000. From there, the plans differ in host deductible, cost, and other amenities.

Premium Package:

• Host deductible for damage to the car: $0
  • Replacement vehicle provided during repairs: Up to $30/day for 10 days
  • Exterior wear and tear coverage
  • Loss of rental income coverage
  • Cost to owner: 35% of trip price

Standard Package:

• Host deductible for damage to the car: $0
  • Replacement vehicle provided during repairs: Up to $30/day for 10 days
  • Cost to owner: 25% of trip price

Basic Package:

• Host deductible for damage to car: Up to $3,000—Turo pays 20% for the first $3,750, then above that they pay up to the $125,000 limit
  • Cost to owner: 15% of trip price

Guest Protection

Just as you would when you rent a car with other rental car companies, before you complete your booking, you have to choose which protection plan you want for your trip.

If you choose a commercial host, then the host will provide you with options. None of the guest plans cover mechanical or interior damage.

If you already have personal insurance, Turo’s coverage will supplement your existing coverage. Policies differ in the amount of liability insurance, deductible payment required, and damage protection.

Supreme Package:

Decline coverage:

• Liability coverage: Minimum for the state where the car is registered
  • Deductible: The full cost of damage
  • No physical damage protection

Roadside assistance is available 24/7 for guests driving a vehicle covered by a Turo protection plan; however, depending on your plan, you may be charged.

Turo will pay for the dispatch fee and there is no charge for tows shorter than 15 miles in the US.

Beyond that, the party that caused the need for a tow will have to pay. Basically, if the car you are renting has a mechanical problem or an issue due to improper maintenance, the owner will have to pay, while locking the keys out or killing the battery by leaving the lights on will leave you, the renter, at fault.

The Bad

• Car Retrieval
  • Restrictions Are Variable
  • Availability Limitations
  • Caring for the Car

Car Retrieval

Since Turo does not operate with clients out of a specific agency, it utilizes car owners that do not use their cars on an everyday basis. Renters must meet the car owner personally in order to pick up the car. Renters may have to go out of their way to retrieve the car if there is not a Turo already at the airport.

Additionally, each renter must show the car owner his or her driver's license, which does have personal information that people may not feel comfortable sharing with a random person.

Restrictions Are Variable

Since Turo does not own the cars, rules and regulations are inconsistent. Some owners allow renters to drive 200 miles a day, while others allow only 100.

Each owner has his or her own set of restrictions, so Turo does not have an overall list of rules for the available cars.

Availability Limitations

Turo does not offer cars in New York. People under 21 years of age cannot rent a car, and people under age 25 have to pay additional fees.

In fact, people under 25 may need to demonstrate at least two years of current US licensed driving history, and potentially can only rent out certain cars because they are considered "high-risk."

Caring for the Car

One thing that is different about the Turo experience is that guests are expected to care for the car as if it were their own. So, if the exterior of the car is significantly dirtier or if it has junk food crumbles inside from a road trip, you have to take it through a car wash and vacuum it out before returning it. If not, you may be charged a cleaning fee between $30 and $250. This is a big differentiator between standard car rental companies and renting a car with Turo.

The Bottom Line

Travelers who want a cheap or out of the ordinary rental vehicle will be satisfied with Turo's offerings. Users can choose the car model, location, and owner.

Finding a unique rental vehicle, on the low or high-end is made easier through Turo's growing community, where owners can use this portal to the sharing economy to make some extra money.

However, keep in mind that service is not available in New York or to potential customers under age 21, and people under age 25 must pay extra fees while renting.

View Best Car Sharing Companies

4.1

Becky Erdahl
August 11th, 2019 Minneapolis, MN DETAILS

I've rented from Turo twice both times were good, the most recent particularly terrific. We rented a car at the Salt Lake City Airport, it was in the parking lot close to the exit so super easy to get it and drop it off the same way. I will use Turo whenever I can.

Stephanie Davis
August 11th, 2019 Yukon, OK

Using Turo was so easy and so convenient. To be able to pick which car I wanted and to have it exactly were I needed it to be was awesome.

Trevor
August 11th, 2019 Portland, OR DETAILS

Love being able to rent unique and interesting cars. Especially with a manual transmission!!

Ange M
August 11th, 2019 Concord, CA DETAILS

Turo was convenient and easy to use. I will definitely use them again and highly recommend giving Turo a try.

Tiffianee Brewer
August 11th, 2019 Houston, TX DETAILS

Turo is a rip off they took my money then sent me an email saying my trip had been cancelled I’m going out of my way to make sure your business will not be up and running very long I promise you that mark my words

Fardad
August 11th, 2019 DETAILS

The fees are getting too high, i liked Turo much better last year when the rates were lower. But anything else is fine

Jason Moore
August 11th, 2019 Lincoln, NE DETAILS

Turo is great! I rented a luxury vehicle at competitive pricing. Every aspect of the rental exceeded my expectations. I will never rent from the big rental companies again as long as Turo is around.

Jamie Angel Gutierrez
August 11th, 2019 Downey, CA DETAILS

It was a very easy to use app and the experience went well

Yatish
August 11th, 2019 Kissimmee, FL DETAILS

Overall great experience. Convenient and reliable

V
August 8th, 2019 San Gabriel, CA DETAILS

I don’t now if I will use Turo again. The car I used had issues with the AC blowing out hot air instead of cold air. The dash board for the radio/music did not work therefore you could not change the channels correctly.

DC
August 7th, 2019 Colorado Springs, CO DETAILS

TURO absolutely RIPS OFF their hosts, and renters. I have 3 cars including an economy car and 2 luxury cars that I rent on the side, not full time, and those are 3 of 5 cars I own. 5-star host with 60 trips. TURO's customer service is mediocre at best. I have talked to one maybe 2 reps who don't have an attitude. One representative in the "escalation" department, named Ashley M, told me "you've been talking for like 10 minutes, is it my turn?!" TURO's "insurance" is worthless. They mark up everything, hide fees on the renter's side, and takes full advantage of their Hosts. Their take is way more than just 25% of the trips (or whatever they say they are taking based on your selection). In fact, I have had trips where I've seen the guests total and Turo takes more than double the trip fees I get. Things like underage drivers, they collect a fee for these high-risk drivers, and keep the fee without sharing any of it with Hosts who take all the risk renting to younger drivers. When I have rented, I have been disappointed to get into cars that have mechanical issues, that are dirty, and that smell bad. I keep my cars immaculate, which I know from experience is not the norm for most other hosts. Bottom line, TURO is a company that takes blatant advantage of people wanting to rent a vehicle. Most just don't realize it yet.

Carol Crowley
August 7th, 2019 Parker, CO DETAILS

I recently had rented a car through Turo. Due to unforeseen circumstances, I had to cancel. I reached out to the owner of the car to let him know, as well as Turo, and explained everything. While the owner said he would authorize a full refund, I have yet to hear a word from Turo. I have tried emailing several different time, all with not even an acknowledgment. This doesn't exactly make me want to rent from them again.

Michelle
August 6th, 2019 Palm Bay, FL

Turo had charged my card before my trip basically when I booked it when it clearly stated that my card would NOT be charged until my trip ( or maybe it was after). It was not stated "at the time of booking". Also it would have been nice that when I picked up the car that I would have been forewarned it was going to cost 15.00 to get out of the parking lot. The owner was very communicative except about the 15.00 parking charge. I was told to wash and vacuum the car which probably should be the job of the owner. I actually had to vacuum up other people's messes. I felt like I had to keep checking to make sure I still had it rented because i saw alot of reviews that said the owner cancelled the rental leaving the renter high and dry. There should be some financial guarantee that this does not happen as it would be alot more expensive to rent a car for the renter of the car. When the person who owns the car for what ever reason they cancelled the scheduled rental. Maybe it was a better paying rental who knows but there should be some financial compensation to the person renting the car if this happens so the person who owns the car doesn't cancel unless some unforeseen event like the car was in an repairable accident or something then they would have to supply proof Your question below have I ever been a paying customer of turo. This a weird question because I would not be filling out this survey if I had not been a paying customer of turo. I just paid turo . Does this count as a paying customer? I did not get the car for free. This was my first time renting. So maybe your question should be not counting this rental have I previously rented from turo. That answer would be this was my first rental. So i am marking no for that reason.

Tiffany Phelps
August 6th, 2019 Westlake, LA DETAILS

I am so upset that this is what I spent my money on as a birthday present to my boyfriend. He’s always wanted to drive a Porche so I took all my money I saved to spend on vacation and rented a Porsche for him to drive. It was nothing short of a disaster of a car. It started out with small things ... horrible windshield wipers, a speaker that rattled to the point we couldn’t listen to music...within 10 minutes on the interstate it was evident there were more serious issues. My boyfriend is a mechanic and he said the degree to which it was pulling to the right indicated something badly needing fixed under the car. We’d been driving an hour and the oil pressure light came on. Before the end of the night, the fuel cap light and check engine light had joined the oil pressure light. The back driver door did not open from the outside and two different valet drivers reported issues with the car starting! I will stick to renting from chain rental companies if this is the quality I get when I pay over $200 a day to drive a nice car! Saddest part? When we got back in our MAZDA we both agreed it was a 10 times nicer ride than that of the poorly maintained Porsche I spent my entire vacation spending money on to give my boyfriend something special.

JBee
August 6th, 2019 San Pablo, CA DETAILS

I had two poor experiences with Turo - both rentals were canceled by the host the day of. The second rental was when I arrived at the airport for a vacation and the car was not where the owner said it would be. Customer service instructed me to rent a ‘third party car’, only to find out (weeks later) that they would only reimburse me up to $300. Now I’m left with a bill 3 times higher than what I originally reserved via Turo. Customer service was patient, but told me they were making it right my refunding my original payment and covering $300 of my 3rd party rental—I don’t agree. Of course same day rentals are expensive, that’s why I booked beforehand!

Tovah
August 6th, 2019 New Britain, CT DETAILS

Turo charged me for an alleged toll that I owed while driving one of their cars. They refused to send me proof of the toll, yet charged me when I asked for proof. The representative that I spoke to was very rude and hung up when I asked to speak with a manager. I have never been hung up on and I wasn’t cursing or yelling just asking for a manager. Some of the worse customer service I’ve experienced and I will never use their services again. I’d rather use a reputable company like enterprise or hertz for my next trip requiring a rental vehicle!!!!

Nakia
August 5th, 2019 Washington, DC DETAILS

Best rental car experience ever. Easy sign up, great selection of vehicles to choose from and even better prices.

Misty
August 5th, 2019 Norwalk, IA DETAILS

The vehicle and pickup were perfect. The customer service for IT assistance was a huge hassle. I ordered in the weekend and because TURO is based in California my credit union rejected the transaction. I had to wait until Monday to fix this and wait in hold for hours to get ahold of someone who actually knew how to add my promo codes back becayse they had been"used" although the transaction never processed. Two simple things can fix this because apparently this is a common issue cards being rejected. Making a note to inform customers to inform their bank that a transaction coming from California or out of state will be processed from Turo and that it is approved. Or changing the system so that when a transaction does not process that the promo codes stay applicable. Or both. Or even better allowing the transaction to wait and be attempted again once our bank approves it. It made me start a whole new transaction and was a huge hassle most would just give up and use a rental car company.

Teresa
August 5th, 2019 North Richland Hills, TX DETAILS

So much easier to use and rent instead of going through a rental car company. Super nice people to deal with.

David Langsner
August 5th, 2019 Fallbrook, CA DETAILS

Easy booking, easy rental, great experience!!

Jessica
August 5th, 2019 DETAILS

WAS HARASSED BY OWNER OF CAR UPON PICK UP! OWNER LIED AND SAID CANNOT PICK UP AT LAX AS SAID ON RENTAL APP! INSTEAD MADE ME TAKE UBER TO DARK PARKING GARAGE WHERE HE HARASSED ME!! I LEFT WITH CAR AND PARKED IT GOR THE ENTIRE TRIP AS TURO INSTRUCTED ME TO DO! THEY REFUNDED CHARGES ONLY TO CHARGE MY CARD 3 MONTHS LATER FOR MORE THEN THR RENTAL SAYING I DUDNT RETURN THE CAR!!!! THIS SERVICE IS NOT SAFE AND OTHER 5 STAR REVIEWS ARE FAKE!!! HORRIBLE COMPANY!!! REFUSING TO REFUND ANYTHING NOW!!!!!!

Vicki Pyne
August 5th, 2019 Las Vegas, NV DETAILS

Great rental experience. Turo app works seamlessly. The car owner, Jordan, was gracious and easy to work with. His car ran perfectly. Looking forward to my next trip through Turo!

Benjamin
August 5th, 2019 St Louis, MO DETAILS

On my first time using turo, I had an issue with the car I rented, after some run around from turo, they took made the issue right, Elijah at Turo did an amazing job, great customer service !

Tan Johnson
August 5th, 2019 Miami, FL DETAILS

The Tesla was great. The owner was very responsive. And I will most definitely use Turo again.

Mike H.
August 5th, 2019 Stanhope, NJ DETAILS

What an amazing concept, Maurice was an extremely nice and efficient host. The app is amazing and I’ll be using it again soon!!!

Terry T.
August 5th, 2019 Anchorage, AK DETAILS

The pickup at the Salt Lake City airport was great. No waiting and process was easy. The Nissan Sentra was exceptional with excellent gas milage. I recommend using this way of renting a car to to get the best bang for the dollar. Large selection of vehicles in many types and makes. Thank you Tim

Laura
August 5th, 2019 Los Angeles, CA DETAILS

Easy fun fast affordable. My experience was great. Thank You

Andy
August 5th, 2019 Castle Rock, CO

Every aspect was perfect. Communication, pickup and return easy; price fair for NJ.

Christopher Kashap
August 5th, 2019 San Carlos, CA DETAILS

What a great service, app, interaction, and person to person transaction. Love that I'm supporting a private car owner instead of a rental car company.

Dani from TX
August 5th, 2019 Abilene, TX DETAILS

I wasn't overly happy with the car owner but I was really happy with the App and the service y'all provide. I really appreciated the alternative to renting a car from the big companies and I LOVED the savings to my pocketbook!

Bill Wegesend
August 2nd, 2019 Happy Valley, OR DETAILS

Turo is an excellent option over traditional rental car agencies where you have a better selection to what you really want to drive. In my experience I was able to rent a 2019 Corvette with only a couple thousand miles on it and a 2017 Jaguar F-Type both in immaculate conditions while in Hawaii. At first I was very cautious about using this online service however now I'm sold on it based on my experience. Turo is there for you if you need them but their All Star Hosts are outstanding with reliable beautiful cars. Some with cars you'd never be able to rent at traditional rental car agencies i.e. Telsa, Porchse, Audi. Jaguar, etc. Turo online is quick and easy and highly reccomend it to all. Bill W. from Happy Valley, Oregon

RH
August 2nd, 2019 Royal Oak, MI DETAILS

Filed initial claim with Turo, waited 3 full days just to get a reply back saying no for no reason. Worst company ever! No claim department for customer help. Basically don't deal with any of the claims you might have!

Enzo vecc
August 2nd, 2019 Staten Island, NY DETAILS

Easy to find local vehicles, and super simple to sign up book and contact owners. I was skeptical as a first time user but I was eased and relaxed with how the platforms worked. I wish you had some more options for filtering like make model etc or even vehicle classification but other than that it was a great experience.

Ira
August 1st, 2019 Jericho, NY DETAILS

Incredibly convenient as owner met me at airport (no rental car center bus) and I returned the car the same way. The pickup and drop off was quick and flawless I basically chose the price I wanted to pay and may step up and enjoy a luxury car next time Highly recommend Turo

D L
August 1st, 2019 Portland, OR

Haven't even been able to take advantage of service. I contacted customer support via email, and was told I would be responded to within one day. That didn't happen. I tried calling, and was put on hold twice, and when the "waiting music" stopped, there was nobody speaking. There was just a phone disconnection. This happened twice. I wanted to know what happens if a vehicle breaks down. If this is the level of service you are getting, why would you trust them when you are on the side of the road if the car you rent breaks down?

Pennee Sue
August 1st, 2019 Houston, TX DETAILS

I rented a car to drive from Houston to Galveston so that I could go see the ocean and swim in it for the first time. I had an amazing time I also had a pretty awesome car at a very reasonable price. My host was awesome and very understanding when I made a mistake and didn't properly extend my trip. Turo Customer Support was excellent and right on top of all of my needs.

Alex Vorderman
August 1st, 2019 Fort Wayne, IN DETAILS

Started this whole process on Kayak at my home in Fort Wayne, around 10:30pm the night before I needed a vehicle in Denver the following day around noon. I waited til the last minute so all SUV's from the mainstream rental companies were pricey. I remembered I downloaded the Turo app a couple years ago for fun to see what kind of cars were available here in Fort Wayne. Checked out the app, found not only a Suburban, but a very cool RST version, for less than any of the rental companies large SUV's. Requested it at 11pm, and at 12:04am, Mike, the owner responded and confirmed. He sent his daughter to the airport, right outside baggage claim so I didn't need to get a shuttle to rental companies a couple miles away, and his daughter took an Uber home. At dropoff, we met in the same location. It truly was the most luxurious, seamless transaction with a rental vehicle I've ever had. If all Turo experiences are as good as this was for me, Turo is going to take over the rental industry. I've been describing it to others as "the AirBnB for rental cars." Maybe one day AirBnB will buy out Turo for big $$$$! ; )

Shatara Conner
August 1st, 2019 O'Fallon, IL DETAILS

Very simple and easy process..I find it appealing because it eliminates some of the hassle of renting a car from typical rental companies. Simple easy and very convenient! I love this app and highly recommend.

Ron
August 1st, 2019 Sharpsburg, GA

Jim was terrific! Very helpful with tips for travel, very prompt to messages, just a great experience.

Fran
August 1st, 2019 DETAILS

What a delight to find this app. I was visiting relatives in the USA without a car for several weeks. Prior to finding Turo I rented from three different car rental places. It cost me a FORTUNE. And then came Turo with it's wonderful choices. I rented an older vehicle that wasn't as expensive from a responsive and helpful person. I'll be back!

Jackie
August 1st, 2019 Brooklyn, NY

This experience was amazing. Alex made it very easy to pickup and drop off the car. It was impeccably clean and fit our party of 7 comfortably. Thank you for this easy experience!

Alwx
July 31st, 2019 York, PA DETAILS

Awesome experience ! Had horrible experience with rental car company and Turo was there to bail me out !

Matt E
July 31st, 2019 Addison, TX

Invested lots of time shopping for the right car and scheduling my pickup only to be told I couldn’t use the app for no reason. Right before my engagement trip, I had to deal with that crap and I didn’t get any service. By the time they did this, it was too late to get a nice car elsewhere I complained and they were unwilling to help. Not right, man. Don’t work with these people.

David Ehlers
July 31st, 2019 Peoria, IL

My experience was five-star plus. The communication that was provided was excellent. Customer service was fantastic. I would highly highly recommend them for running your vehicle. I am a small business owner and I definitely appreciated how they handle their business.

Bonnie
July 30th, 2019 Falls Church, VA DETAILS

Turo customer service was amazing. They immediately contacted me when the car I reserved was not available and arranged for a replacement.

Brandon Kopack
July 30th, 2019 Freehold, NJ DETAILS

Great experience using turo twice both trips were in Los Angeles and both trips were smooth and easy. First trip we picked up the car at the turo lot right by the airport and dropped off in same location. Second trip we picked up the car from the car owners place also right by the airport and dropped off at the turo lot by LAX. Over all great experience using this app. Much better renting through Turo rather then a car rental at the airport because of how quick and easy the process is. Get the car keys, take pictures to document how the car looks when picking up, then drive away. Super easy and get to rent awesome cars. Thanks Turo!

Julie
July 29th, 2019 Olathe, KS DETAILS

Very supportive and made sure our trip went well. We love Turo

Joyce
July 29th, 2019 Davis, CA DETAILS

2nd time using Turo and I like it. Easy to book, check in and vomplete out trip (except for the part where I did not remember the email address I used).

Jo
July 29th, 2019 Charlotte, NC DETAILS

It was so easy to use Turo. I met some nice people and drove a great car. No hidden fees or sneaky extra charges. What you see is what you get. Exactly what I needed for this trip!

ROBERT BURROWS
July 29th, 2019 Indio, CA DETAILS

Communication with Turo has consistently been prompt and responsive since I joined in June.