Turo, formerly Relay Rides is a car rental company that started in San Francisco, CA in 2009. The company nationally launched in March of 2012, and has built a community similar to a car version of Air BNB. Car owners can rent out their vehicles to people looking to rent.

Rank Chart
#7
turo
$25-$150
$500-$3,000

The Good

Turo rents vehicles priced approximately 40% lower than other car rental options. They are supported by top-tier investors, including: August Capital, Google Ventures, Shasta Ventures, Canaan Partners, and Trinity Ventures. Turo is currently available in over 2,500 cities, and over 300 airports throughout the United States. To cater to one’s individual preferences, the company offers over 800 different car models to choose from.

In order to sign up for a car, it is as simple as signing into one’s Facebook or email account. The first time one signs up for a car, all they have to do is plug in some general information, choose a car, rental date, and time. One can either decline additional insurance, or purchase the Basic or Premium option, each with varying physical damage and liability protection.

The price ranges depending on what car one gets. In addition to these fees, buyers may be charged fees for additional miles, parking tickets and cleaning fees. To get the car’s trip price, one must multiply the relevant trip rate advertised on the vehicle by the duration. There are also the following fees:

• Trip Fee – 10% of trip price
  • Protection Fee – varies by if one chooses a premium (40% of car’s rate), basic (15% of car’s rate), or the decline option
  • Young Driver Fee-20% fee of the trip price for people under age 25
  • Delivery Fee-varies based on owner’s settings
  • Airport Fee-10% fee of trip price if the rented vehicle is involved in the Turo Airport Lot program

In order to get the car and the keys, all the renter needs to do is meet the owner and show them their license. Some owners will even deliver the car right to the renter. Returning the car is simple, as the renter just needs to return the car with a tank full of gas to where it was initially picked up. Other benefits of using Turo include:

• Turo has an easy, user-friendly, and customizable rental sign up.
  • Cars available to rent in more than 2,500 cities.
  • There is no membership fee, and cars run for a flat rate of $40 a day.
  • All cars covered by Turo’s fleet-wide insurance policy.

Renters can choose from cars, SUVs, minivans, trucks, convertibles, hybrids and vans. One can also filter by long term rentals, vehicle make, all-wheel drives, and more. There are more than 800 models and makes to choose from.

The Bad

Since Turo does not operate with clients out of a specific agency, they utilize car owners that do not use their cars on an everyday basis. One has to meet the car owner, personally, in order to pick up the car. Renters may have to go out of their way to retrieve the car if there is not a Turo at the airport one flew into.

Having the cars all owned by people rather than an agency creates the possibility of inconsistency. Some owners may allow renters to drive 200 miles a day, while other may allow 100. Each owner has their own set of restrictions, so Turo does not have an overall list of rules for the available cars. Each renter must show the owner their driver’s license, which does have personal information that people may not feel comfortable giving out to a random person. The downside to using Turo includes the following drawbacks:

• Since Turo does not own the cars, rules and regulations are inconsistent.
  • Turo does not offer cars in New York.
  • People under 21 years of age cannot rent a car, and people under age 25 have to pay additional fees. In fact, people under 25 may need to demonstrate at least two years of current US licensed driving history, and potentially can only rent out certain cars because they are considered “high-risk.”

Insurance is also available to renters. There areseveral different packages each with varying physical damage and liability protection. There is $1 million in liability insurance on every rental. Their Premium package has a $500 deductible, and their basic package has a $3,000 deductible.

The Bottom Line

Turo is an affordable way to rent a car, and is a great option for people over age 25 to look into if one needs a vehicle. The whole process is customizable from start to finish. People can choose the car model, location, and owner that they do business with. Because Turo has cars in almost every city, it is likely one can find a rental vehicle when they need it. While it may be a safer bet to go with a more established company, Turo’s a good option for people looking for an adventure, and want a cheaper rental car.

1. Turo has over 800 models of cars for people to choose from, and has options available in over 2,500 cities.
  2. The rules are inconsistent, and a lot of the regulations like mileage and allotted time are up to the owner.
  3. Service is not available in New York, or for people under age 21. People under age 25 pay extra fees.
  4. In order to get the keys and the car, one must meet the car owner, and show them their driver license.
  5. There is no membership fee. Cars run for a flat rate of $40 a day.
  6. Turo’s website is helpful and thorough.

Number and Place of the Locations

Turo has rental cars available for people all across the country, in a variety of cities. The company, however, does not cater to New York. Turo has rental cars in more than 2,500 cities, and caters to more than 300 airports. Cities with cars available: https://turo.com/all-cities

Price

Turo does not offer different rates per city. Instead, cars run for a flat rate of $40 per day, and renters fill the cars up with gas during use.

A.) Cost Per Mile: This varies. Prices run by the day. For additional miles, one must pay $0.75 per day, regardless of city and state.

B.) Cost Per Minute: Turo does not run by the minute. Renters are responsible for gas and pay for the car by the day.

C.) Service Fees: Depends on circumstance.

Price ranges depending on what car one gets. To get the car’s trip price, one must multiply the relevant trip rate advertised on the vehicle by the duration. There are also the following fees:

• Trip Fee – 10% of trip price

Includes Roadside Assistance: Yes

Incar Customer Care: No

Any Others: Depends on the owner and the car

Type of Insurance Offered & Deductible:

Several different packages each with varying physical damage and liability protection. There is $1 million in liability insurance on every rental.

Late Fee

$50/hour up to $200, not including the admin. fee of $25. Owner share is 75%.

Car Options

Max Time

A.) Maximum Miles Per Day: Varies (may be as low as 150, may be as high as 300+)

B.) Cost Per Each Exceeded Mile: $0.75

C.) Maximum # Of Rental Days: This varies. Before submitting a request to the owner for one’s trip, they must specify the length of the trip, etc.

X close
X close

9 Turo Reviews

1. Select Your Rating:

0=WORST 10=BEST

2. Subject For This Review*(Select all that apply)

0 characters

3. Review Validation*

or

1. User Score

December 1st, 2016 Castle Rock, CO

Turo only reimburses for tickets of damages if you find it out within 30 days of trip. I received a ticket for $30 from county 35 days from the trip. This is not my fault that I did not receive the ticket from county in time and if Turo does not re-emburse then it is a worst company. They paid me $26 for the trip and I ended up paying $30 so I am in loss. One other driver changed a tire and replaced it with wrong tire and I did not expect anyone to change tire and not let us know when we went to service the car we were told about it. So loss is more than gain with Turo. If anyone want to protect their car then don’t rent it on Turo. You will loose your car value with all these issue. Also there is a chip on my windshield. So my car is totally destroyed.

2. User Score

October 27th, 2016 Salt Lake City, UT

They denied my application before I was even finished with the process, then wouldn’t even tell me why! Don’t waste your time!

3. User Score

October 14th, 2016

Please take my word that this company does not deserve a nickle of your hard earned money. You are far better off renting from a real rental company. In my one experience with Turo I had a hit and run while renting. After 6 months of insurance companies going back and fourth Turo took it upon themselves to unjustly charge my card TWICE. The first time a snotty claims representative returned the amount knowing they were clearly in the wrong. The second time I was told I had 48 hours before the remainder would be charged. Regardless of my reply email stating that I would like to pursue another option, Turo went ahead and charged my card the full amount anyway. This happened hours after the same snotty representative offered a payment plan, which they quickly revoked. This charge ended up overdrafting my debit card. When I asked why it is that the payment plan cannot be utilized I was given dead end answers. AVOID AVOID AVOID

4. User Score

September 28th, 2016 Homer Glen, IL

I decided to save some money with TURO because prices looked pretty attractive. But it appeared there is a DARK side with that portion. I can’t talk about all rental cars on TURO’s website, but this Dodge was in pretty bad shape. I was pretty much risking not only my own life, but my kids and my parents lives as well since we decided to take a Western US tour with this rental. Brakes were bad. Very bad. In a video if you make your speakers louder you can see not only my hand shaking when I’m trying to slower this car but there is big noise and vibrations inside the car. You simply can not stop this car quicly if you want to. Period. Oil change was past due, wipers were worn. Out of 4 tires on this car 3 were completely different brand and tread. Is this legal in CA? At least I know it is not SAFE for sure. Front tires sides were completely worn, close to bold. Headlight’s were working, but pretty much worthless since you can not even see if they are ON or OFF unless there is white or yellow line marks on the road.
    There is not a lot of rain in Western US part, but unfortunately we had to drive this car in the rain and in the dark since that was our long time planned trip with my parents who flew all over from Europe to explore LA, Vegas and Arizona’s parks. Would you drive this car with your family and kids?
    The conversations with this owner were not pleasant at all as well. This guy needs to take some classes to learn how to speak with your customers. When I complained about the problems, he acted like he did not care at all. He even threatened me few times with me being arrested, so that was really unprofessional.

5. User Score

August 14th, 2016 Dallas, TX

I became a renter on Turo. My disappointed was that Turo suspended my account without telling me any reasons while I was scheduled to use the car in Dallas. I have a perfect rating from the 3 car rental that I have used the service before I allowed my 50 employees to use the Turo service for future business booking trip in the area where Turo provide service. When I wrote to them for answered on why my account being suspended -nobody at the department could comment back to me for suspending my account. I am disappointed in how they treat their member on their site plus how they interacted with complaints on their suspension policy.

6. User Score

August 2nd, 2016 Baltimore, MD

Ive been trying to get my damaged car fixed by Turo’s damage claims department for over 2 weeks now. Basically have not got any response from them other than forms to fill. Thier claims department leaved you hanging.. They dont let you call them directly leaving emails as the only means of communication..emails which basically get ignored. I managed to get the phone # of my claims person and call everyday for the last 2 weeks only to get a voicemail or even worse yet a full voice mail box message.

My claims person is Lauren Williams and she just cant do her job… So far no resolution of the damage. The company just leaves their customers hanging.. Would not recommend using the service if you are trying to rent your car out. So help you if your car gets damaged.

7. User Score

July 26th, 2016 New Rochelle, NY

Renting from Turo has been one of the most negative experiences I’ve ever had with a travel company.

I rented from them for five days and on my way to return the car, got a chip in the windshield. I reported the damage and fully expected to pay about $350 for a new windshield. A few days after I reported it, I got an email from them saying there were going to charge me $500 towards the damage initially and follow up once they received an estimate. Than I got an email saying the estimate was $1000 (for a new windshield) and they were going to automatically charge my credit card.

I called their customer service and they gave me a number direct to the claim agent. Not surprisingly, her mailbox was full, she never answered and every time I called, she was “in a meeting”. Included in the damage estimate was $150 worth of processing costs- seriously?!

I will never use Turo again under any circumstances and would advise anyone against using them. So disappointing.

8. User Score

May 29th, 2016 Houston, TX

They are crook! They charged me for damage without showing any evidence. Do not trust them, use famous websites for renting a car.

9. User Score

May 17th, 2016 West Palm Beach, FL

Have you asked yourself, What would happen if the car reserved has mechanical problems?
    Those fortunate enough to reserve a car mechanically safe and working should be considered lucky. That wasn’t our case!!
    We reserved a car using Turo and immediately noticed the car unsafely shaking extremely hard, called the owner within 30 minutes of picking up the car and we were told “You got what you paid for, sorry I am busy right now, I can’t help you”. We had to wait on our 1st day vacation in an unknown city, 5000 miles away from home almost 4 hours for Turo to send a towing truck to pick up the car. Later, they refused to refund us the initial reservation alleging that the unsafe shake of a the car is normal and Turo told us that we were suppose to take the car to a mechanical shop when we realized the mechanical failure, yes you read right !! take the car in our vacation and using our money to a mechanical shop to get a third party opinion.
    Please make your own conclusion after reading our review, but my most sincere opinion is that the $20 to $50 savings compared to a regular car rental company are just not worth a nightmare to follow if you car fails mechanically.