Turo, formerly Relay Rides is a car rental company that started in San Francisco, CA in 2009. The company nationally launched in March of 2012, and has built a community similar to a car version of Air BNB. Car owners can rent out their vehicles to people looking to rent.

Rank Chart
turo
$25-$150
$500-$3,000
5.1

The Good

• Availability
  • Simple process
  • Vehicle options

Turo rents vehicles priced approximately 40% lower than other car rental options. They are supported by top-tier investors, including: August Capital, Google Ventures, Shasta Ventures, Canaan Partners, and Trinity Ventures. Turo is currently available in over 2,500 cities, and over 300 airports throughout the United States. To cater to one’s individual preferences, the company offers over 800 different car models to choose from.

In order to sign up for a car, it is as simple as signing into one’s Facebook or email account. The first time one signs up for a car, all they have to do is plug in some general information, choose a car, rental date, and time. One can either decline additional insurance, or purchase the Basic or Premium option, each with varying physical damage and liability protection.

The price ranges depending on what car one gets. In addition to these fees, buyers may be charged fees for additional miles, parking tickets and cleaning fees. To get the car’s trip price, one must multiply the relevant trip rate advertised on the vehicle by the duration. There are also the following fees:

• Trip Fee – 10% of trip price
  • Protection Fee – varies by if one chooses a premium (40% of car’s rate), basic (15% of car’s rate), or the decline option
  • Young Driver Fee-20% fee of the trip price for people under age 25
  • Delivery Fee-varies based on owner’s settings
  • Airport Fee-10% fee of trip price if the rented vehicle is involved in the Turo Airport Lot program

In order to get the car and the keys, all the renter needs to do is meet the owner and show them their license. Some owners will even deliver the car right to the renter. Returning the car is simple, as the renter just needs to return the car with a tank full of gas to where it was initially picked up. Other benefits of using Turo include:

• Turo has an easy, user-friendly, and customizable rental sign up.
  • Cars available to rent in more than 2,500 cities.
  • There is no membership fee, and cars run for a flat rate of $40 a day.
  • All cars covered by Turo’s fleet-wide insurance policy.

Renters can choose from cars, SUVs, minivans, trucks, convertibles, hybrids and vans. One can also filter by long term rentals, vehicle make, all-wheel drives, and more. There are more than 800 models and makes to choose from.

The Bad

• Car retrieval
  • Inconsistencies
  • Limitations

Since Turo does not operate with clients out of a specific agency, they utilize car owners that do not use their cars on an everyday basis. One has to meet the car owner, personally, in order to pick up the car. Renters may have to go out of their way to retrieve the car if there is not a Turo at the airport one flew into.

Having the cars all owned by people rather than an agency creates the possibility of inconsistency. Some owners may allow renters to drive 200 miles a day, while other may allow 100. Each owner has their own set of restrictions, so Turo does not have an overall list of rules for the available cars. Each renter must show the owner their driver’s license, which does have personal information that people may not feel comfortable giving out to a random person. The downside to using Turo includes the following drawbacks:

• Since Turo does not own the cars, rules and regulations are inconsistent.
  • Turo does not offer cars in New York.
  • People under 21 years of age cannot rent a car, and people under age 25 have to pay additional fees. In fact, people under 25 may need to demonstrate at least two years of current US licensed driving history, and potentially can only rent out certain cars because they are considered “high-risk.”

Insurance is also available to renters. There are several different packages each with varying physical damage and liability protection. There is $1 million in liability insurance on every rental. Their Premium package has a $500 deductible, and their basic package has a $3,000 deductible.

The Bottom Line

Turo is an affordable way to rent a car, and is a great option for people over age 25 to look into if one needs a vehicle. The whole process is customizable from start to finish. People can choose the car model, location, and owner that they do business with. Because Turo has cars in almost every city, it is likely one can find a rental vehicle when they need it. While it may be a safer bet to go with a more established company, Turo’s a good option for people looking for an adventure, and want a cheaper rental car.

1. Turo has over 800 models of cars for people to choose from, and has options available in over 2,500 cities.
  2. The rules are inconsistent, and a lot of the regulations like mileage and allotted time are up to the owner.
  3. Service is not available in New York, or for people under age 21. People under age 25 pay extra fees.
  4. In order to get the keys and the car, one must meet the car owner, and show them their driver license.
  5. There is no membership fee. Cars run for a flat rate of $40 a day.
  6. Turo’s website is helpful and thorough.

Number and Place of the Locations

Turo has rental cars available for people all across the country, in a variety of cities. The company, however, does not cater to New York. Turo has rental cars in more than 2,500 cities, and caters to more than 300 airports. Cities with cars available: https://turo.com/all-cities

Price

Turo does not offer different rates per city. Instead, cars run for a flat rate of $40 per day, and renters fill the cars up with gas during use.

A.) Cost Per Mile: This varies. Prices run by the day. For additional miles, one must pay $0.75 per day, regardless of city and state.

B.) Cost Per Minute: Turo does not run by the minute. Renters are responsible for gas and pay for the car by the day.

C.) Service Fees: Depends on circumstance.

Price ranges depending on what car one gets. To get the car’s trip price, one must multiply the relevant trip rate advertised on the vehicle by the duration. There are also the following fees:

• Trip Fee – 10% of trip price

Includes Roadside Assistance: Yes

Incar Customer Care: No

Any Others: Depends on the owner and the car

Type of Insurance Offered & Deductible:

Several different packages each with varying physical damage and liability protection. There is $1 million in liability insurance on every rental.

Late Fee

$50/hour up to $200, not including the admin. fee of $25. Owner share is 75%.

Car Options

Max Time

A.) Maximum Miles Per Day: Varies (may be as low as 150, may be as high as 300+)

B.) Cost Per Each Exceeded Mile: $0.75

C.) Maximum # Of Rental Days: This varies. Before submitting a request to the owner for one’s trip, they must specify the length of the trip, etc.

X close
X close

36 Turo Reviews

1. Select Your Rating:

0=WORST 10=BEST

2. Subject For This Review*(Select all that apply)

0 characters

3. Review Validation*

or

1. User Score

June 22nd, 2017 Baltimore, MD

I am in owner of multiple vehicles I rent out in the Baltimore area. I use multiple platforms but Turo is the best. They are fast when it comes to claims, which I have had to use twice. They are helpful on the emergency line. They get back to your emails within 2 days. The only thing that I don’t like is there is not enough notice and dissemination of policy changes! I pay close attention to my money and I rent out cars multiple times per week and sometimes multiple times per day. Therefore, I know immediately when something has changed. I’ll go on facebook or twitter and check my email and there will be no mention of the change. Then when I reach out to customer service, they will act like idk what I’m talking about until I press the issue and show them proof that policies have changed that affect my bottom line.

If they make that small change and stay the way they are otherwise, I would give them a 10 rating. I felt compelled to write because I’m seeing a lot of disgruntled drivers (not owners) giving bad reviews. If you treat the car the way you would want your car to be treated, you would most likely not have any issues. Now if you do have issues because I’m sure not all owners are truthful or care about customer service, your problem still would have most likely be resolved with adequate documentation on your part such as taking pictures on your own, recording mileage, keeping track of how much you drive, communicating within the app, etc.

2. User Score

June 20th, 2017 Chicago, IL

I listed my car on this site to rent. The person who rented it trashed my car. I filed a claim and the claim supervisor could of cared less. He told me to have fun suing because they’re not going to pay a dime. This is literally the worst ride sharing company & customer service I’ve ever witnessed. It’s just a giant scam.

3. User Score

June 19th, 2017

I have used this app 3 times and it has never convinced me.
    – The customer service is very inconsistent and does not resolve anything. – The communications with the owners can be difficult and the service is too informal. When evrything goes ok no problem…when you have any issue good luck: you are on your own. – I thought the service was a good deal in the market but after done a better research I’ve realized that more serious and traditional rental car services have same or even better prices. – That said I dont see a real benefit using this app, I am very dissapointed

4. User Score

May 25th, 2017

After renting a Ford Mustang with Turo app during my stay in the USA, there were an entire list of unauthorized charges on my credit card account with diverse excuses. Ihave reached out to the support team whom have decided to resolve the issue in favour of the renter, Ms. Jackie.

Though my experience with the car was great, the app gave the owner access to debiting my card whenever they wanted for whatever they felt appropriate.

I have now contacted Mastercard who will take care of the Charge Back and resolve this issue directly.

As a customer of Turo, whom I have handed my security details (Credit Card and Personal information), a terrible customer service and no safety of trade in this platform.

Will continue using official and trustworthy car rental companies.

Don’t recommend this service to anyone who wants to travel with peace of mind.

Thank you.

Regards,

Tercio Borba

5. User Score

May 22nd, 2017

I was prohibited from renting from Turo after one rent. The car owner was very happy. Turo said I used the car for business purposes because I took it to a place where I needed to do business. I questioned this and Turo support said I was OK to rent again but they never lifted the ban. Turo support is impossible to reach and only sends out form letters (E-mails) to questions after a several day delay. I have sent them copies or THEIR E-mails but they don’t take any action on my problem.
    You can NEVER contact a live person for help. It is kind of scary. What if you rented a car and something went really wrong and needed to get some help?

6. User Score

May 21st, 2017

HIDDEN TERMS – HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE
    Turo is a great idea, I’ve rented with them several times and have loved the opportunity to drive different types of cars. However I just had the worst customer experience with them. I rented a car under the terms “Delivery & Pick up Los Angeles International Airport”. When came the time to get my car, I was told that I need to send a text message to a service that would send a shuttle to LAX and take me to a nearby parking lot. I told them this was not acceptable to me as I had a tight time commitment. I asked for a refund since this is an essential change of term and it should have been disclosed in the offer. Their response was to tell me I had no choice and to hang up on me.

2 1

7. User Score

May 17th, 2017

turo support is a mess.
    the damage was visible in the before photos already, I still got charged USD 500.-. I’m waiting to get refunded for TWO MONTHS now. terrible and disrespectful service.

8. User Score

May 11th, 2017 Los Angeles, CA

I lost the car key, and was happy to pay the owner to replace it. What i was not happy about is the $100 service fee the Turo charged me to “process” this payment. I was shocked by this amount, and they refused to reduce it, even to $50.

9. User Score

May 9th, 2017

Beware of Turo!

I listed a car that I do not normally use and had a few smooth trips and Turo handsomely get their 25% cut. However, when issues happen, Turo stopped being handsome or helpful.

The traveler who rented my car was stuck in traffic in city and cannot return the car in time. I, in a hurry to catch a plane, chose to be nice and told the traveler just to park the car back to where he picked up. Unfortunately, the traveler parked the car on other people’s driveway due to negligence I presume. The owner of that house was nice and waited 2 days before seeing nothing was happening and called police and have it being towed. I, being out of the country, was unaware of the situation until I got back. I went through quite a bit of trouble getting the car back and reported the incident to Turo.

However, it is just the start. Instead of trying to resolve the issue, the escalation lead I am dealing with, Luke, was trying everything to deny any responsibility and refuse to reimburse me. I provided all kinds of documents: tickets, receipts, registrations. What I got back after days of back and forth is cannot help. Main reason being it is not within the 24 hour time frame, which is the company policy.

I am deeply disappointed. Within 24 hour or not, it is not my responsibility that cause the vehicle being towed. When we rent the car out on Turo, we form a contract with Turo. Instead of hold their end of contract, Turo is just denying of any responsibility. We trusted Turo and share our car on Turo when we do not need them. When things are well, it works well. However, if something like this happens, as an individual, we cannot mitigate the loss and is just screwed.

I am here recommending all my friend and people beware. It is a big risk to list your car on Turo. The platform, contrary to what you might think, takes not responsibility.

2 2

10. User Score

May 5th, 2017 Edited

I was a happy Turo user until my close friend, who I convinced to rent his Dodge Ram on here had his vehicle stolen while using the app and they’re not taking responsibility. They cancelled the trip after he rented it because the driver was not approved to drive. The vehicle has not been returned and they did nothing. I am a witness to this transaction as it happened at our office and I believe they’re at fault here.

I hope they realize that their business is based on vehicle owners and if you don’t protect them you will have no business.

I will no longer rent my Corvette and Mercedes on this app until Turo starts backing the owners.

Update… it looks Turo is stepping up to the play now. I’ll keep you posted.

3 2

11. User Score

May 1st, 2017 Miami, FL

I have rented from Turo before in the past, and never had an issue. I went to rent again and received a message that I was unable to rent. I sent a message to customer service and they advised that they have to take additional steps to verify my identity and for me to send a picture of my license, a picture of myself holing my license and a picture of my debit card. I thought that process was weird, but I did so to verify my identity. After 3 days of not hearing back from anyone in customer service I followed up and I received an email that my membership was denied I replied back to the email, and asked the lady Paula Alcasid why was I being denied after reading the qualifications on their website, and I meet all of the criteria I have a valid license, Full coverage insurance, and over 25. She was very rude and advised that “Turo does not release the details of our review process as doing so would compromise its effectiveness”. I then explained to her that this is not making sense, and that I would like to know what the qualifications are based off of since what the website states I meet, and at this point I sent her all of my identity information and clearly from the picture she could see that I am Black she came back again and stated that “We have carefully reviewed your case and our decision is final. Per Turo policy, mentioned in our previous email, we are not able or obligated to release the details of our review process.
    Please note that further communications from you will be read, but not responded to”. I stressed back to her that I feel discriminated against, because there is no reason for me to be denied based on the qualifications listed on her website and the fact that they had me send pictures to verify my identity made me feel like this was a common case of discrimination. Also from reading renting a car through here is to the discretion of the owner of the vehicle and if that owner chooses to cancel the trip one hour before the trip they can do so which is unprofessional and unreliable.

5 1

12. User Score

April 25th, 2017

If anything goes wrong, you are screwed. I actually caused some damage when backing out of a parking garage on the car I was renting. My fault, I know. So I had to go through their claims department, which was a complete disaster and cost me thousands of dollars, despite the damage being very minor. 3 months after the incident, I was shown an estimate that included parts of the vehicle that were not at all related to the damage I caused, which can be proven by comparing the estimate to the documented photos (for example, $500 worth of glass, when the damage wasn’t even close to any glass parts of the car; front passenger side work, when the damage was on the drivers rear side). Yet, ten minutes after I received the request for payment, I got a second email threatening to send the issue to a collections agency due to “several attempts to contact me,” though I had clearly received the final payment request that day. Though it was clear that damage on the estimate did not match the photos of the damage I caused, I paid the balance right away ($2,200!!!!) due to the immediate threat of this being sent a collections agency and damaging my credit permanently. The false claim by Turo that they had “attempted to contact me several times,” and therefore had a reason to send this to a collections agency, was a grossly obvious attempt to get me to pay an unfair balance without the opportunity to dispute it. A collections agency, of course, cannot deal with disputes of this nature. Once it’s in the hands of a third party, disputes about payment cannot be resolved. So, good job, Turo, you got me to pay over $2,000 for 2 small scratches by purposefully denying my rights as a driver and consumer. What’s the commission Turo gets from renters screwing over their customers? Hope it was worth it.

13. User Score

April 21st, 2017 Berkeley, CA

I created an account and had a temporary Drivers License from the DMV. They suspended my account and said I had to have the actual license and they don’t accept temporary licenses. That’s fine. I got my California Drivers License in the mail a few days later and emailed their support team to ask them to reinstate my account and attached a photo of my drivers license. I then got an email back that I did not meet their qualifications and they were officially revoking my account.

??? I can’t sign in. There’s no other information. They asked for my Drivers License, I gave it to them. They declined my account? How does that make any sense at all??

14. User Score

April 18th, 2017

Renter crashed my car and Turo was unwilling to fix it and has been dragging their feet for months while I don’t have my car. The renter and myself have both been paying insurance to Turo. They double dip on by charging both the renter and owner for insurance but then do not even deliver.

15. User Score

April 14th, 2017 Brooklyn, NY

if you own a nice luxury/exotic vehicle do not rent with these people. Last person to rent my own BMW 335 gave it back to me with scratched rims, broken Rear-Passenger tire, and also popped the F-Passenger tire and replaced it with a tire of a different cheaper brand than the one it previously had. Its been two months already, and although I have records of texts received from the renter the day prior to scheduled return admitting what he had done to my car. The agent I got made me go through a bunch of loopholes at first and then banished on me. She doesn’t reply to the emails. I managed to get her number after calling support on the ResolveAClaim App and have been calling for the last 3 days and shes never on the phone; I’ve left voice mails but she doesn’t get back. It is insane to think they already charged the renter 3 weeks ago $500 from his card which I assume was his deductible but yet haven’t even gotten in contact with me. I also have Premium giving TURO 35% of my earnings in case something like this happened but its completely a rip off! As they do not seem to care for when these kind of situations take place and us owners are screwed. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY IF YOU CARE ABOUT YOUR CAR. Good articles are most like paid advertisement by these people to get you to think your car is safe with them.

16. User Score

April 11th, 2017 San Francisco, CA

Everything is great about this place until something goes wrong or the owner of the car claims damage. I rented 2 cars with the company with great reviews from both owners. Then the third car I rented all the sudden had a scuff on it, which I know I did not cause. My $50 a day rental turned into $1100, which was drafted immediately from my account with no follow up. Next they closed my account, providing 0 reason or notification. They do not make phone calls, give you warning about what and when they will drafting money, or provide options for how to contest the claim. It has been an absolute nightmare because of a scuff. Now I may not be able to pay school this semester, I am investigating small claims court and filing a claim against them with National Insurance Claim Bureau. This company is only looking out for themselves. Do not give them your account information. Go buy your own car instead. This company is design to scam money out of people.

17. User Score

April 2nd, 2017

Had a guy rent my truck. Hit something with the front, scratching off paint in quite a large area. Dented the back chrome bumper, ripped up a chunk in one of my door panels.

Turo says the rear bumper is normal wear and tear even though it was right at 3 inches. It was on the step piece under the license plate which is only 3/4 of an inch thick vertically and the dent was creased 3 inches horizontally (like he backed into a pole). Backing into something is “normal wear and tear”??? Scratches I understand, to dent a chrome bumper is pretty evident of misuse.

I took pictures of everything on at least 3 different occasions, while being bounced back and forth between claims agents, (one set of pics are the bunch I uploaded after the trip of all the damage),for some reason, the Turo claims rep(s) cannot access them.
    I was completely ghosted for exactly a month( I wrote everything down), Called and called and called. They always say that they have messaged the claims department and they will reach out.
    I did this 2-3 times a week for 4 weeks, and nothing back.
    Finally someone from a third party company calls me after I threatened to go to court. They are with a company out of San Diego (where I live) that is subcontracted to do the estimates. They asked me to send pictures…..
    I’d mentioned to the gentleman how long I have been waiting to hear back from someone and he said that the notice just came through 15 min prior to us speaking.
    I Sent over the pictures via the app that they had me download, and in three days, got an estimate.
    (Back up a little: I got estimates for $1680, $1750 and $ 2050.)
    They sent me an estimate to fix the paint in the front and up until I got the estimate, I didn’t even know what they were even going to rule out.
    The rear bumper alone without being installed is $350.

They Gave me an estimate to be all of $437, sent me a quick link to collect the cash and that was it. They must think that if they wave cash in front of peoples faces that they will just take it and run.

Their labor rate was estimated at $40 an hour. WHAT? Since when? 10 years ago?!!
    I told them fine, Ill take my truck to where the prices are that low ( waisting MORE of MY time)… Nothing, complete silence. Here I sit, back to calling them again, being told that I will be contacted by this Dianna lady, and since then the site to collect my stingy $437 has timed out & I cant even collect that.

On a side note: I just rented a car up in northern Ca, and the guy was telling me that a renter smashed his windshield on one occasion. He went through Turo with the claim, got $80 bucks out of the deal & after talking with the renter, he mentioned that he got charged $500.
    Wasn’t even enough to cover the windshield, and Turo raked in some money on the deal.

Turo has such a good thing going, wont be long before someone else sweeps in and shows a little more common courtesy to customers.

You can see the good reviews right on this page are written by people they hire to do it. Just by the way they are worded. I mean c’mon…

18. User Score

April 1st, 2017 Arlington, TX

This will be my first time renting from here and I am sad to say I am very very disappointed. As a previous reviewer stated if it too good to be true it mostly likely is. My husband and I booked a trip, we had to meet him to get the car, cool no problem. We called him the night before, we messaged and no response. The phone kept going to voicemail.

Now to get to customer service was so annoying. They weren’t open, I sent a email, auto response. Then we finally had to contact the emergency line to get to speak to anyone. The rep. called him no response, she wanted us to wait a little longer hmmmm no we have to be somewhere at 8:30 a.m. It is now 8:05 like come on.

She said okay she understands, she will refund it. Happy ok good, we tried to get her name and reference number just in case something else goes wrong.She gave her first name, then she said there is no reference number but she will send a email. (no reference number to me is weird) then we asked for her last name nope she can’t give us that and then she started rushing us off the phone.

Received the email later and it has her FULL NAME ON IT, so what’s the point of denying what we asked for in the first place?!

Overall I’m just frustrated and annoyed. Never booking with them again.

2 stars because she did help, if I don’t receive my money within the time frame I’m supposed to get it back this will go down to a 0.

19. User Score

March 22nd, 2017 Redondo Beach, CA

As an owner with 400 rentals, I can promise you that Turo does not have your back. One recent example, I was 19 minutes late delivering a car 20 miles across town in LA traffic and the guy bailed on me. Rented a car from the Long Beach airport curb with no consideration for myself despite this being a community by all accounts and specifically according to Turo and he was allowed to even though I had already gotten there. The guy, Edward Levin of NYC is clearly not the kind of guy you want in this community but they are absolving him of the rental contract because I was more than 15 minutes late. I cannot believe that at the 16th minute all money and time spent on washing the car, driving in 40 miles roundtrip in LA traffic and all other scheduling and prep work goes away so long as the renter chooses to be a jerk. I also had a car stolen and they are purposely dragging out the loss claims process even though I’m still paying the car note and insurance. Also, I buried the lead, YOU DON’T MAKE A PROFIT. LOL. Largely due to their sizable fees for everything but also because the competition is brutal, which isn’t their fault. Wish I’d never become an Owner on their platform.

20. User Score

March 18th, 2017

I would strongly discourage anyone from using this service. They are asking for trouble with all of their practices. It reminds me of the old saying, “if it’s too good to be true, it usually is”. The number one problem, is the fact they charge your card, before you even pick up the car. And the book instantly option is a joke. To make a long story short, I have been unable to pick up the vehicle twice. Either the car had not been returned by the renter, the owner did not know when it would be returned. Basically, one thing or the other. But, keep in mind, they already have my money. After the latest incident, just yesterday, 03/17/17, I called my bank, to file a claim for a refund. If you are in the Tacoma, WA area, I would steer clear of car owner Shantale G. She is not serious about business. I don’t know what kind of scams they have going on. The only reason I even give them a 1 rating, is because Customer Service was very helpful, during the first incident, and processed my refund, with a 10.00 credit. But even that is not enough. They really need to shut this company down. Once they popularity catches on, there are going to be an increase in serious issues, such as car theft, etc.