Turo Logo

Key Details

• Airbnb Model for Car Rental
  • Availability in 300+ Airports and 4,500+ Cities
  • Rent a Unique Car from a Local Owner

Summary

Turo, formerly Relay Rides, is a peer-to-peer car sharing company that started in San Francisco, California in 2009. Similar to the Airbnb model, local car owners advertise and rent their vehicles to drivers who would prefer to avoid the standard rental car experience.

The company launched nationally in March of 2012 and is currently available in over 4,500 cities and over 300 airports throughout the United States. Turo is supported by top-tier investors, including August Capital, Google Ventures, Shasta Ventures, Canaan Partners, and Trinity Ventures.

Keep reading for the pros and cons of Turo car rental or skip to the Turo reviews from real customers.

Uber Logo
#3 Uber chevron_right
Lyft Logo
#4 Lyft chevron_right
4.0

The Good

• Variety of Vehicles Available
  • Simple Sharing Process
  • Rental Prices and Fees
  • Insurance Coverage

Variety of Vehicles Available

To cater to individual preferences, the company offers over 800 different car models to choose from. Renters can choose from cars, SUVs, minivans, trucks, convertibles, hybrids, and vans. One can also filter by rental period for long-term rentals, the vehicle make, features like all-wheel drives, and more.

Simple Sharing Process

Turo has an easy, user-friendly, and customizable rental sign-up. In order to sign up for car sharing, create a Turo account by simply signing in to your Facebook or email account.

The first time you sign up for a car, all you have to do is enter some general information, choose a car, rental date, and time. You can either decline additional insurance or purchase the Basic or Premium option, each with varying physical damage and liability protection.

In order to get the car and the keys, all the renter needs to do is meet the Turo host and show them their driver's license. Some owners will even deliver the car right to the renter. Returning the car is simple, as the renter just needs to return the car with a tank full of gas to where it was initially picked up.

Rental Prices and Fees

Turo rents vehicles priced approximately 35 percent lower than other car rental options. The price ranges depending on what car one gets. There is no membership fee and cars generally go for a flat rate of $40 per day.

In addition to rental fees, buyers may be charged fees for additional miles, parking tickets, and cleaning fees. To get the car's trip price, one must multiply the relevant trip rate advertised on the vehicle by the duration. There are also the following fees:

• Trip Fee — 10% of trip price
  • Protection Fee — varies by if one chooses a premium (40% of car's rate), basic (15% of car's rate), or the decline option
  • Young Driver Fee — 20% fee of the trip price for people under age 25
  • Delivery Fee — varies based on owner's settings
  • Airport Fee — 10% fee of trip price if the rented vehicle is involved in the Turo Airport Lot program

It should also be noted that payment information, including debit card and credit card payments, is made through the Turo app or website, not the rental host.

Insurance Coverage

With Turo, there are private and commercial hosts. When it comes to Turo's insurance, owners can either use Turo's policies or decline coverage to be eligible for a commercial, third-party insurance policy.

When owners decline Turo's insurance coverage, they are considered a Commercial Host. As such, they must have their commercial rental insurance policy verified by Turo prior to renting any of their vehicles.

Turo's originally offered three different tiers of protection for owners to choose from. The Premium, Standard, and Basic plans (available before July 1, 2020). All three plans came with $1 million in liability coverage and physical damage protection that covers the value of the car, up to $125,000. From there, the plans differ in host deductible, cost, and other amenities.

As of July 1, 2020 Turo offers five vehicle protection plans: the 60 Plan, 70 Plan, 75 Plan, 80 Plan, and the 85 Plan.

All five plans provide up to $750,000 in third-party liability insurance (offered by Liberty Mutual) and varying levels of contractual reimbursement (reflected in the plan names) from Turo for physical damage and theft. However, bear in mind that the level of available reimbursement will vary depending on the chosen plan.

We recommend consumers thoroughly read Turo's detailed terms and conditions for more information regarding Turo's car insurance.

Guest Protection

Just as you would when you rent a car with other rental car companies, before you complete your booking, you have to choose which protection plan you want for your trip.

If you choose a commercial host, then the host will provide you with options. None of the guest plans cover mechanical or interior damage.

If you already have personal insurance, Turo's coverage will supplement your existing coverage. Policies differ in the amount of liability insurance, deductible payment required, and damage protection. We recommend you refer to the company's website for detailed information on each plan.

The Bad

• Car Retrieval
  • Variable Restrictions
  • Availability Limitations
  • Caring for the Car

Car Retrieval

Since Turo does not operate with clients out of a specific agency, it utilizes car owners that do not use their cars on an everyday basis. Renters must meet the car owner personally in order to pick up the car. Renters may have to go out of their way to retrieve the car if there is not a Turo already at the airport.

Additionally, each renter must show the car owner his or her driver's license, which does have personal information that people may not feel comfortable sharing with a random person.

Variable Restrictions

Since Turo does not own the cars, rules and regulations are inconsistent. Some owners allow renters to drive 200 miles a day, while others allow only 100. Each owner has his or her own set of restrictions, so Turo does not have an overall list of rules for the available cars.

Availability Limitations

Turo does not offer cars in New York. People under 21 years of age cannot rent a car, and people under age 25 have to pay additional fees.

In fact, people under 25 may need to demonstrate at least two years of current U.S. licensed driving history, and potentially can only rent out certain cars because they are considered "high-risk."

Caring for the Car

One thing that is different about the Turo experience is that guests are expected to care for the car as if it were their own. So, if the exterior of the car is significantly dirtier or if it has junk food crumbles inside from a road trip, you have to take it through a car wash and vacuum it out before returning it. If not, you may be charged a cleaning fee between $30 and $250. This is a big difference between standard car rental companies and renting a car with Turo.

The Bottom Line

Travelers who want a cheap or out-of-the-ordinary rental vehicle will be satisfied with Turo's offerings. Users can choose the car model, location, and Turo host.

Finding a unique rental vehicle, on the low or high-end is made easier through Turo's growing community, where owners can use this portal to the sharing economy to make some extra money.

However, keep in mind that service is not available in New York or to potential customers under age 21, and people under age 25 must pay extra fees while renting.

Have you used Turo? Would you recommend it to a friend? Let us know by leaving a review below.

View Best Car Sharing Companies

4.0

Scale Life Farmington, MI

Unethical scam artist! They’ll lie to you and anything else to get you to pay their INFLATED fees then leave you stranded! We were taken advantage of by a seller who wanted new tires, they canceled our insurance on the car & charged us double what they’ll cost and closed the amount until we paid it. We then paid it after personally getting confirmation that our account we gain full access again after payment and they closed the account soon as we paid. Nobody can be trusted, they’re all pawns used to lie to you for a single person behind a computer to screw anyone who expects fairness. I wouldn’t recommend them if it was FREE

17 hours ago

Ronald Moore Tacoma, WA

I’m done with Turo. The first time I booked a Yukon and rented this specific vehicle so my 3 and 5 year old could watch their Disney DVDs during the long road trip. When I picked the car up, “it didn’t have one” for some reason. The photos of the vehicle were of another vehicle. The second time I used Turo I booked a 2010 Ford Escape with “Amjad” in Columbus, OH. The car was a piece of crap! When I started it, warning lights flashed, the fan belt whined LOUDLY, it had dents, it had rust spots, bald tires and STAINS inside!!! When I asked for another vehicle I was told there weren’t any (it was a used car lot). The vehicle didn’t even have a permanent license plate. It had “temporary tabs” taped inside the tinted rear window. I drove the car a couple of times and returned it TWO FULL days before I was planning on returning my Turo rental. However, Turo kept ONE FULL day of my rental payment with no explanation as to why!! TERRIBLE COMPANY!! DO NOT USE THEM!!

A Zand Mission Viejo, CA

I rented my Tesla Model 3 on Turo. Had a renter who did not return it, ran it until there was 1 mile left on it without charging, didn’t answer my messages. Turo tried to contact them and they used a fake license and phone number. They told me I need to wait 48-hours. They do nothing to get your car back. Police do nothing because they say you voluntarily rented your car out. Renters beware if someone chooses not to return your car Turo does nothing about it. Oh the worst part, the person didn’t even get their account suspended after Turo customer service admitted to me they used a fake ID and phone number.

Dan S

This was my first time using Turo and I’ll never use Turo again. The host canceled my reservation 2 days before my trip. I understand things happen BUT it was the third time this host has canceled reservations. According to Turo’s own review the host had canceled the previous reservation just 2 hours before pick up time. When I called Turo all they said was, “Sorry for the inconvenience.” Then Turo’s representative proceeded to tell me it could take up to 10 days to get my refund. I would not recommend the service to anyone. Very unreliable. Stick with rental companies that actually have backup vehicles if needed.

Melron Estes South Jordan, UT

DO NOT RENT FROM TURO! I used Turo as my car rental company because pricing was much cheaper. However after the first day I called to add me as a driver and maybe not have my wife as a driver. After 6 hours and talking to five departments and several managers in a different country Turo ended up cancelling my reservations and then charging me an additional $790.00 to get back the original reservation. They then blamed me for the error stating it was I who called them and requested the cancellation. Aside from costing me an unwanted $800 it also made me miss the activities we had planned on Sunday and put me in a foul mood for my vacation. What I found out from this experience (aside from never use Turo) is that the way they have structured their company is that they have all customer service and account management handled in a foreign country where they are poorly trained in how to run and navigate their systems and the managers are only authorized to offer a maximum of $30.00 to correct problems or errors and cannot make changes outside a set perimeters of the programming. Hopefully this will save others from having to deal with the same expensive frustration I did.

Paul Donovan Windermere, FL

I will never rent through Turo again and I encourage you to never do so either. For the first time ever, I rented a car through Turo for a week in Arizona. We had plans to see Sedona, Flagstaff etc during our time there. The third day we had the car we were driving from Phoenix to Sedona when we had a tire blow out on the highway. Pull over to the side of the road prepared to change the tire and there is no spare tire in the car. A little more inconvenient but no huge problem because we will call for Turo roadside assistance. Unfortunately, where the tire blew out has no cell service whatsoever. We tried my phone with no service, my wife's phone (different carrier) which had no service. So , now we are out in the middle of the desert where it is 101 degrees with no way to contact anybody for assistance. I get out of the car and after about 5 minutes am able to wave somebody down to hopefully assist. Of course, they have no cell service but they promise to call the highway patrol as soon as they do. A guy with an 18 wheeler also stops. Again, no cell phone service and his CB radio is non operational. Just as we were preparing to take a ride into the next town (Black Canyon City) to try to get a wrecker the highway patrol showed up. Of course, he has no cell service and his computer can't connect to the internet. However, he did have a radio and did call a wrecker for us. We had to pay $215.00 to tow the car to the nearest tire store and then another $133 for a new tire. Turo refuses to reimburse us anything for this added expense saying I was at fault! Somehow, I am at fault because a fairly new tire (4 months old) must have been defective and blew out the sidewall while I was driving on the highway. Somehow, I am at fault because there was no spare tire in the car. Somehow, I was at fault because I had no cell phone service and had to wave down help in the middle of a 101 degree desert. Somehow I am at fault because I had the car towed without contacting Turo ! This is the kind of risk you are taking when you rent through Turo. Never agsin!

mohamed farhadaa Mississauga, ON

I booked a car with 7 seats to pick up my friend and his wife and 2 kids and 6 luggage at 7am. I booked it a month in advance to make sure I have it ready. On the day before the booking at 11 pm I got a call that this car is not available. I could not find any other 7 seaters on that day as it was very short notice. I booked a smaller car and had many trouble of going the trip back and forth and I called other friend to help us out. After all this trouble, support did not do anything except giving me 20$ back saying this is the maximum out of 150$. Moreover, they did not allow me to speak to their manager as the case is not "that serious". Please think many times before booking with them.

Tiera Henry Saint Augustine, FL

In July we rented a vehicle through Turo while visiting Colorado. At first the experience was great, we met with the owner’s son at the airport and went on our way towards Estes Park. The next afternoon we drove the vehicle to Bear’s Lake and after walking around we went to return to the vehicle and we’re unable to get it started. We first thought the key fob had died but after a few short minutes the entire vehicle was dead. We were able to have someone jump us. Upon doing so warning lights came on to “check engine”, “check all wheel drive” and to contact a dealership. Given our location we were forced to drive the vehicle to the entrance of the park so that we would have service to contact the owner. Upon driving the vehicle it began to lurch violently so we pulled off at the first point we could do so safely (not even 1/4 of a mile from our original parking lot). We were able to contact the owner and the owners son regarding the situation and it was decided that the vehicle would be towed. We were guaranteed a full refund of our costs with the agreement that we’d pay what we had used in gas. We were then left in a National Park, with three young children, with a thunderstorm coming and no means of transportation. Luckily we were able to get transportation from the park to our condo and the next day had to find transportation to Boulder to obtain a new rental car. After our trip we received a refund of not even 1/3 of our total costs. When we inquired with the owner he stated he had told Turo what had happened and it should’ve been a full refund. When we contacted Turo regarding such we were informed that because the owner of the vehicle chose not to profit from our trip we were limited in what could be refunded. When I explained the situation leading up to and the difficulties it caused us they then stated that they would reduce the “trip cost” as we benefited from a full day use and their investigation resulted in that the vehicle was safe to operate and we could have done so. Their price reduction was then what they would normally charge for a “day trip”. I then sent videos of the vehicle’s condition showing that it was in no condition to drive and stated I would pay 1/5 of our total original fee (given the one day use and ignoring the fact we ended up having to pay more for another rental car) but they have been unwilling to assist. In response they stated that they’d provide us with a $30 credit to be used for the future. Not only am I disappointed in the way this was handled by the owner and Turo I’m concerned with that Turo allowed the vehicle to be operated and attempted to state that it was safe for us to continue driving that day.

Gabe Burton Riverton, UT

The people who I rented the car from charged me extra for mileage. I don't have a problem with that, but the mileage was too short of a distance. I live in Southern California and rented the car for a weekend trip. Unless you stay 1 hour away, it's pretty much impossible to keep the car under a certain mileage.

Kelly Stanley Herriman, UT

Turo is so nice because it is cheaper than renting a car. Sometimes it’s inconvenient to go to the car and it can cost a lot to have it delivered. But it’s mostly just great

Larry Blachut CA

My Turo host from Scottsdale AZ was great. The previous renters turned in the car with a cracked windshield. Scottie called me and told me that he would not have enough time to replace it. I asked if it was drivable and when he said yes I said no problem. He documented the crack with pictures and I was off. Good service, good car and great rate. Thus was my first time using Turo and I would do it again , especially through Scottie and his partner.

Ajanaee x Tallahassee, FL

Turo is a great app that connects you to several rental vehicles in your area. The app is user-friendly but Turo should offer better rates for individuals who are under the typical rental age.

Brit Curry Ellicott City, MD

Absolutely Ridiculous. Horrible company. Rented a car (for 4 days) that broke down 3 hours after I got it leaving us stranded in the middle of nowhere for 5hours. Had to rent another car, then after all said and done they only refunded me back for 2 days. BS!!!!! Will never use again, and will definitely be telling everyone I meet to never use this service!

Deb Harvey Waterford, WI

I have been trying to rent a vehicle in Anchorage, AK for next summer (2022). My first reservation cancelled on me as they indicated the price I reserved was too low and they weren't taking bookings until next year. So, why did their website indicate differently. My second attempt and the host never responded to my request. The third and fourth requests cancelled for personal reasons (going on vacation and selling car at the end of summer). I contacted Turo and they indicated hosts should be honoring their pricing/availability. I tried one more time and booked a reservation only to have it cancelled within hours. The host indicated "Too soon to book, I haven't set prices to match likely demand." I suggested they updated their website so others won't be able to make any reservations and I also indicated I had 4 previous cancellations. His response - "When four different people tell you the same thing, it might be an indication you're the one who's being unreasonable, not them." I will tell all my friends to stay far away from Turo.

Hayley Coppola Hoboken, NJ

I had my first experience with Turo this past weekend. When I went to pickup the car, the host was not there for me to ask any questions on the 2011 Nissan Maxima, instead I had to get the keys from a coworker. Upon turning the car on there were lights on the dashboard (traction control and no air bags). Not knowing if this was faulty since there was no host and I had to get on the road I proceeded with the trip. About an hour into the trip water from the air conditioning started leaking into the footwells to the point where if you stomped your foot you could visibly see splashing. On the way back from the trip, low tire pressure notifications kept popping up from a cracked rim every hour after refilling with air. Eventually, I was stuck in the middle of nowhere in Ohio far away from tire shops and civilization to get this issue fixed. There was no towing nearby, and this cracked rim issue caused a delay of 5 hours in the trip. It turns out the rim was an awkward size and different local tire shops would need a replacement order that wouldn't come for a couple of days. What I ended up having to do is go to a local welder and WELD the rim back shut, then proceed to get a new tire as well since the cracked rim was ripping up the tires inside. Once the wheel was repaired, the stability control light had gotten turned off, meaning the car was given with a wheel that was causing the light to turn on in the first place. This 5 hour delay in the trip caused me to have to take an additional day off of work as well as push the ""return date"" for the car (an additional item I was charged). Eventually I made it back home to NJ and dropped off the car (once again the host was not here for the drop off). Thinking at the bare minimum it would be reasonable for Turo to refund the unexpected costs due to the unsafe car they rented me, I reached out to Customer Support multiple times on the matter. Their response is that the refund is up to the discretion of the host, who clearly wasn't acting in good faith since the beginning of my trip. So why would he refund me in the first place? This is a situation Turo needs to take into their own hands and they are refusing to do so. I am extremely concerned that they are ok with this car continuing to be listed on their site due to the level of seriousness they took my inquiry - they gave me a $50 credit to use on my next Turo trip thinking that would resolve the matter. The responses were also copied and pasted canned statements, with broken english sprinkled in (they refuse to get on the phone with you, they only let you talk to them through chat and email). That credit is going to go to waste, and I highly recommend anyone reading this to stick with a proper Enterprise, Avis, anyone else who takes full ownership of the maintenance policies they have in place.

Heather Goetz Peoria, AZ

We had a terrible experience. Car was not as advertised and we drove around for a week with air that did not work. Furthermore after we left possession of car we were told no matter what happens we are responsible for damage for 24 hrs later. So if they total it after we leave it with them. We are liable. There was a scratch after they moved it and even though we had pics proving it wasn't there they charged us over 1100 dollars. Big scam and they won't even respond to concerns etc. Waiting on the day they lose in court when they try blaming someone for something when they aren't even in the same state at the time it happens. Use a reputable company. Even if your cc company covers rentals. They even know better and won't cover turo due to the shady business practices. Buyer beware.

Sophia Tristan Sacramento, CA

I rented a vehicle from Turo only once because after my first rental, the company ran a background check on me that I apparently didn’t pass. They do this after you agree to things that you click on to process the rental. That was the reason given to me after I contacted customer service to inquire as to why I could not login again to my account to shop for a second rental. Are people who have records but have paid for their crimes to society still going to be punished forever? This company is too judgmental and frankly want to be picky about whose money they are willing to accept. That’s the truth.

Mrs Nurse Honolulu, HI

First of all, I want you, readers, to know that I started my trip with an open mind and happy about my vacation in Honolulu. Let start by saying that the price was very low, but not without its problems. The first problem was that I had to pay $70 for the car to be dropped at the airport. A friend recently put her car on this site, and she said that the vehicle is left in the airport garage, and she leaves money for her customers to pay for the parking when they leave the parking site. Anyways, I started walking towards where the car was supposed to be, but I hit the freeway and walking with three children at 11 pm probably not a great idea, so I called a cab that charged me $10 to get me to the rental, which was in a very dark street in the middle of nowhere. I was exhausted, so I drove to my Airbnb in a car that was very almost asphyxiating due to the smell of gas. The next day we visited museums with the windows open; I barely used the car all day. The following day, we took a more extended trip to the beach, and we saw cockroaches. There were coming from everywhere in the car. I communicated with the owner because in the Turo website is the first thing they ask you to do. Well, I sent him this "I'm disappointed with the state of the car. First, there is a strong smell of gas or similar that is overpowering, and we have to travel with open windows, and second, your car has cockroaches. I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but it is very ..." (disgusting, sickening, unsanitary, well add your adjective). " It is too late for me to find another car, but I'm not happy about all these problems." He said he would exchange it and asked someone to bring a car and take the filthy one. The friend said, "I'll be there at 8:30 pm," but at 8:30 pm, she said she'll be late. I didn't make a big deal about it; besides, I just wanted for the car to be gone. During the day, two big cockroaches walked through my legs, and another one fell practically on my daughter's mouth when she was drinking water, but that is not all; my son killed around ten cockroaches in 20 minutes. She called and said that she was downstairs waiting; when I drove the car, the tire was flat, and when I went to get the spare instead of a tire, there was garbage. I asked her for her spare, and she said she didn't have one, so I communicated with the owner, who said to call Turo. I was not in any rush, and I could have waited until the next day to change the tire, but he told me to call Turo's roadside assistant. I waited until 1 am for the car to get picked up, and I could not move. To make this story shorter. I called Turo, but they said that they could not talk to me and just text with me about any problem. I texted them, and I told them about the cockroaches. I sent them the pictures. I told them about the state of the car and all the bad things that happened. They said I am sorry we can't help you. You didn't call us the first day. I said I got to the car almost at midnight, and the only thing in my mind was to sleep. Besides, in your rules, it says contact your host, and that is what I did, and they said "Well, we are sorry, we can't help you" I have been without a car for two days. Turo billed me for over $200 for towing that was not my idea, and denied me my money back because they don't know how long the cockroaches were there. The cheated rises dearly, and now I have to rent a real car for double what I paid in Turo and pay Turo's roadside fees. This company doesn't care about the guest; it just looks out for the host, so be aware. They don't look for solutions; they just give you the runaround, and then there are the car owners who rent trash in bad tires.

Emilie Nault Vaudreuil-Dorion, QC

An unresponsive host cancelled our reservation 2 days prior to our vacation. As the rates had dramatically increased since our booking 4 months prior, Turo offered to help with a compensation. We were told usual compensation was 80$, but they would release 140$ for our trouble (and the fact that we now had to pay triple the initial price). The compensation never came, the replacement booking was never made, I spent 7 hours on the phone with multiple agents and rude supervisors to be told they would perhaps get back to me by email within 24h. I received a compensation of 53$ - will never use them again. Disrespectful, not trustworthy! A big 0 for this company.

porter Davis, CA

I had an issue telling the app I was returning a car early. After speaking to a rep on the phone who assured me I would get my 110$ refund, I found no such refund had arrived. After getting in touch with multiple chat reps, none of whom had any knowledge of what I had told another, they informed me that I was not going to get a refund because my host had denied that I returned early. When I left a review for my trip explaining all of this on the Turo site, it stayed up for about a day before the company deleted it. So beware if a driver has more "trips" than reviews, it could be that the company just deleted any bad ones to save face

Jayne Moore New York, NY

Turo is absolutely brilliant, and I will never rent a car the old fashioned way again! How they have made this function I have no idea, but it's excellent. You have a large choice of great cars, you can get as fancy or as chill as you wish, you are fully insured, and the app allows you to photographically record any scuff and marks or damages on the vehicle when you receive it, so every thing is documented beginning to end. I've had some where I have picked them up from peoples homes, and had some scoop me up at the airport, and all have worked so well. Brilliant app.

Farinaz Vafai Alameda, CA

horrible service! they took my money and never gave it back to me after the car had dead battery and I had to return it the host. basically they never gave back my money for the last 4 days that I didn't have the car due to dead battery. never trust this company, there would be zero customer service and support in middle of your vacation!

Eric Montreal, QC

Things might be good, unless you was caught in an accident, no matter you are at fault or not, EVEN IF you purchased a PROTECTION PLAN from Turo, as they states : "The primary Guest is financially responsible for ALL Physical Damage or theft to the Vehicle, as well as Related Costs. The primary Guest is financially responsible REGARDLESS of who is found to be at fault for the damage. "

Beverly Taylor Tallahassee, FL

BEWARE! Turo requires an absurd amount of money on top of your host fees and deposit. The trip fee is ridiculous and this makes renting with Turo very expensive. There is no way to speak to anyone on the phone. All billing questions are done by chatting messages. If your host cancels hours before then you out that money until its refunded up to 80 hours later. This is a horrible company.

Vic Cast Spring, TX

DO NOT RENT FROM TURO!! I rented a car in Florida.. 3hours into 3 day trip back wheel tire blew and shreeded! NO ONE would touch car or had tire to replace it.. due to Maserati GrandTourismo... it was towed back to host. They had the nerve to charge me a full days fee 230.00+.. it cost me more to get a replacement car and ride near Key Largo!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNDED! AND THEY WANT ME TO PAY 220.00+ FOR REPLACEMENT TIRE!

Bittermac Lawndale, CA

WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER!!! HORRIBLE BUSINESS PRACTICES!!! I used the service about 3 times while visiting family in Oregon. Not issues. Worked as promised. Went to use it again and got an error that my account had been closed. Lifetime ban. Called their call center 4 times. Total of 71 minutes on hold. Finally called with my registered cell and got an email address to protest account closure. Emailed and 1 week later got a reply from Megan saying that my account was a dupe account by a car owner for fake reviews. I replied that I was not fake and what proof would she require. I got a reply several days later that she reviewed it and I am a liar. You truly find out who you are dealing with when there is a problem. Used Getaround.com and had no issues. Better customer service too.

Will Wray Johns Island, SC

A host flaked on me and canceled a reservation 45 minutes after it was supposed to start (so I was standing there and waiting). Then they canceled so I had to go to a rental car agency and pay extra for no advance reservation. All of this is arguably fair because Turo functions like a middleman. They can’t guarantee all cars (unlike rental car companies, which do). However, what concerned me here is that Turo did not permit me to write a review for the host, who still has a 5 star rating. Instead they left an automatic unrated note that doesn’t affect the host’s score. So don’t believe what you see on that app: they block and censor reviews.

Sue Collins Wakefield, MA

Don't walk away RUN....THEY NAILED US FOR $600 TOWING FEE NOT EVEN FOR THE CAR WE RENTED!!!!!! TURO was no help and sided with the scammer. We were just scammed in FL, got a different car than was listed but same model/make thought nothing of it. No one met us at delivery, cars left in car, car open, at end of the week we dropped car off at parking garage at airport, instructed to do the same, leave keys in car and unlocked, many hours later get a call from lady, where is my car, told her exactly where car was parked, more hours go by, she threatens to call police, so we immediately do and tell her so...moments later, states car was towed for illegally parked, then changes it to abandonment, then damage on rear light....next day, tries to stick us with a $600 towing charge, and then says car was towed mid week and we abandoned it!! We had car entire week, car towed was one we were suppose to receive and didn't, Tuto sided with her and changed our acct $600, we have videos of the car being driven different dash etc. They sided with her prior to us being able to deliver any pertinent information we had. DO YOUR SELF A FAVOR STICK WITH HERTZ, ALAMO ETC, they may be more money but won't scam you they are a reputable company unlike Turo!!! Top it off the lady we did get car from had good reviews, I suppose those were fake too! BEWARE things on TURU are not what they appear to be FAKE reviews, scam artist ETC. makes it tough or the legit ppl trying to rent their vehicles and customers. CUSTOMER SERVICE IS HORRIBLE

Queen Nene Omaha, NE

Worst experience ever!!!!!! I rented a vehicle from them for one day. They charge me $400 with hidden fee once I returned the vehicle. Scammers alert they are the true definition of scammers and rip-off don’t ever use them

elona ganchenko Honolulu, HI

Horrible customer service. Their insurance is a scam. I rented a car and as I was driving a rock flew out and cracked the windshield. So I had to pay: 145 insurance 575 deductible And then 740 for the “damages” So stupid! Their protection plan is a scam!

tim forrest Nashville, TN

Horrible company, terrible customer service and unfriendly hosts. I rented a Jeep for 4 days and returned it 4 hours early. They charged me foran extra day and a $20 late fee! A very terrible experience to say the least. Consumers - stay away, you have many other more reasonable alternatives.

James Shelby, NC

BEWARE!!!!Turo charged me double what the total was supposed to be. They also charged me $100 extra for picking the vehicle up 12 min early and they always find a rwason to keep your deposit. You WON'T ever get tour deposit back and there is nobody you can talk to. Support will only email you but wint work out anything. STAY AWAY...

Mike G Richmond Hill, ON

Dont waste your money and time. SCAM SCAM Company!!!! Charge double my VISA for the same booking. On the phone with Turo over 1 hr, no one can tell me why I get charge double. You can found cheaper prices for the same type of cars on another rental company's with no any surprises with additional charges and fees like on TURO.

Chris Kennedy Roslindale, MA

Extreme issues with the Turo host’s canceling at the last minute! You think you have a car booked and then NO CAR when you go to pick it up. I complained, customer service was horrible and disrespectful to me. After hours on hold and weeks worth of being on hold they decided I was out of line and canceled my membership 😳! WHAT?!?!?

Rebecca Phillips Raleigh, NC

Watch out folks, Turo is a scam waiting to happen. Don’t even think they will follow their own policies and procedures, beware beware beware!! There is a reason the Better Business Bureau has rated them an F. They will try to charge you for a ledge damage to the car no matter how many pictures you take that show that there was no damage. I will never rent from this car company again and would advise you all to do the same.

jen vertone Jackson, WY

For a short time I was a host on Turo. Had a bad experience with a renter whom returned my vehicle in horrible condition. I’d reached out to Turo to have the renter pay an additional $30 cleaning fee and follow their requests with providing over 60 clear before and after pictures depicting the issue. They denied saying I did not provide any evidence of the issue.

Lhundup Thonden Toronto, ON

I give Turo no stars after I spend… I give Turo no stars after I spend hours texting them for the account issues. First they have information about my last year trip and now when I want to rent the vehicle I need to go through series of verification process over the internet. After providing my drivers license and photo they want my credit card info. I asked for the manager and agent refused and said she can send me an email so I can send my cc info but after end of the text, there was nothing from her. This company has no credibility. I give no stars and I am out!

jennifer bell West Yellowstone, MT

Please don't use this company. It is a scam. I was traveling to Hawaii and rented a truck and paid for my reservation in advance. One hour before I landed the host texted me " the car is broke". I called host and he said needed new tires and I need to cancel reservation and find new truck. I tried to find another truck but none was available. Turo offered to rent me the same truck but for $ 4,500. this was $ 3,100 more than I agreed and paid for. They offered to take 20% off the new amount but still $2,200.00 more than agreed upon amount. The company knew there were no more trucks andt ripped me off, ruined my vacation. Crooks!

101blacksails Jacksonville, FL

I received a confirmation for a rental, only to find out that the day I needed the rental at the airport, that it did not go through because Turo requires your driver's license, birthdate, etc. I didn't find out about this until the day of my rental need! I finally got verified after calling Turo for 2 hours. THEN, I go to look for other cars, and when I go to check out, they are all UNAVAILABLE. This happened on 8 different vehicles that were apparently 'AVAILABLE' for my dates/times, all up until I go to check out, and then Turo customer service tells me that they are 'WORKING' on the site glitches that allows cars to show up that ARE NOT AVAILABLE FOR RENTAL. I will NEVER USE THEM AGAIN, it is not worth the hassle, and you don't save any money at all because they charge Turo Fees, you HAVE to buy INSURANCE, and then the taxes and FEES, and then there is NO GUARANTEE that you will actually get the car!! I don't have time to post this stuff but they wasted so much of my time, that I actually lost valuable WORK TIME. Don't waste your time on this, save your time and worth and just do the traditional auto rental until a GOOD SITE shows up that can actually be better than the traditional auto rental places. MAYBE START one yourself!

David Cheuk Edison, NJ

Rented a car through Turo for a 3 day weekend trip. Check engine light came on (during day 1). Turo/host offered no help. The host blamed me for check engine light failure, and told me it was my responsibility to return the car in it's original state (whatever that means). Meanwhile, I tried to have the car towed, but Turo's "Roadside Assistance" kept directing me to take the car to a dealership to have it repaired. As a result of the faulty check engine light, we wasted nearly a half a day, driving from dealership to dealership, to assess what was wrong with the car. Not only did Turo not give back any refund or concessions, they allowed owner to tack on an additional $54 at the end of trip in reported "excessive cleaning" fees, which is a complete joke. They also managed to take this from my credit card account without any prior approval. Host made up bogus claims that we left "sticky film" in the car, which is total BS. Our group of 4 adults only had bottled water in the car, and did not eat any food, drinks or snacks in the car besides our water. As evidence of the excessive dirtiness, Turo literally provided a picture of the floor carpet which had some dirt, some gum wrappers in a cup holder, and empty water bottle on the floor, and some dried grass which somehow wound up in the trunk space. Turo's own cleaning policy says you don't have to vacuum the carpets, unless it's excessively dirty. This company is a joke. Their prices are cheaper than more reputable car rentals, but steer clear and avoid the headache. They find anyway to nickel and dime you, and you get no support whatsoever if your car breaks down. It took us 9 hours to drive back from Virginia Beach because we had to take several breaks so that the car would not overheat. This will be my first and last time I use Turo to rent a vehicle, and I am disputing this entire transaction with my credit card. It should also be noted that I tried leaving the host (Jigar S) a one star review, with my honest opinion, on Turo's website. For some reason, the review is not showing up on their website, so I believe Turo may be manipulating the reviews by intentionally screening off the bad reviews.

Jeyk Janish Anaheim, CA

I have been an all star host with Turo for three years. I had my Scion tC, and recently my Tesla on there. I really had a good experience with them, up until recently. The last trip, the guest took my car, caused an incredible amount of damage to the vehicle, and took it to Los Vegas where they were involved in a hit and run accident. You would think a company like this would take care of its hosts, and do everything in its power to make them whole again? Wrong! They put a cap on the amount that I can request from the renter on supercharging costs (of $200) which I sent them proof of the actual costs being much more than that. The renter had smoked and had his dog in the vehicle which was against my hosting policy... which I have video proof of and they still refuse to compensate, and my center console is broken, but since they didn’t have “before” pictures of the latch, are refusing to fix it. How can they expect a user to take a picture of a latch? So I lost money, and am being refused a copy of my police report since I was not actually in the vehicle... but I own it? Also when you call, everyone is outsourced, and reading off a script, and doesn’t feel like they are genuinely trying to help. Some departments you can’t even reach via phone, (which is a long process) and have to talk to via email. I wouldn’t put your car on here unless you don’t care about it.

John Atlanta, GA

Stay away from this app! We used it once and swear by God that we will never use it again. Everything went super well for us at the beginning. The host seemed very nice and accommodating. It was our first time using Turo so we made sure that the car was thoroughly cleaned and returned in the same condition when it was delivered. We met with the host when she came to pick up the car and waited for her to check everything before we gave her back the keys. There was a charge of $40 for not refueling. We gladly paid for it because it was our fault. The story should have ended right there. But the nightmare began two days later. We received an email from Turo that the host submitted an interior damage claim without specifying the damage. I asked for the specifics but Turo rep simply said that they are investigating. What was really crazy was that Turo rep said the damage coverage we paid for will not cover this damage and I have to deposit $500. How can a damage coverage not cover interior damage? Also, why should I deposit $500 when Turo is "investigating" the claim and has not been able to determine the cause of the damage? At this point, Turo is behaving more like a mafia trying to extract money by making bogus claims and using predatory tactics. So I decided to reach out to the host and found that the "problem" was simply minor scratches near the ignition. These scratches can easily be repaired for a fraction of what Turo tried to charge me. Turo is clearly overcharging the renter for these so-called "claims" and keeping the majority of the payment. The host ends up with a fraction of the payment.

IEllner Daytona Beach, FL

Turo can not help you if the vehicle you rent breaks down. You end up stranded to figure out your own transportation. You will no longer be near a rental agency and will have to pay more to rent with separate drop off and pickup locations. Turo will not let you rent another vehicle untill the breakdown vehicle is returned. They do not talk to you everything is chat box. The owner chatted with them that he was taking possession of vehicle and I have not been released to rent a new one. So the chat ended with Estaban chatting he will elevate to a supervisor. That does not help me get to my destination tomorrow. Trapped with no transportation because the owners car has a breakdown. No service just a chat bubble to nowhere

Roman Casey Denver, CO

The host charged a $150.00 cleaning charge for a pet. I don’t own a pet. Turo customer service is a joke. Would never recommend Turo to anyone.

rochelle demello San Jose, CA

I had a great experience on my trip. Chun K is a great host. He picked us up at the airport and drop off was just as worry free. I was kind of skeptical of using Turo for my first time but Not any more I will rent from Turo from now instead of the rental car agencies. The only problem I had was I wanted to cancel the insurance that I added for my trip and tried to get a hold of customer service before my trip began after finding out my insurance would cover me 100% there was no phone number to call customer service and every time I tried to send an email it kept say address unknown. That’s probably something I did wrong but now I know better. All in all it was pretty perfect vacation.

Adam T Newport Beach, CA

In an age where everyone wants to be able to control everything with their mobile device it was only a matter of time before personal car rentals became a thing. Renting exotic cars from mainstream agencies was a hassle and with so many liabilities and extra charges you never felt comfortable driving on the road. The whole experience with Turo was completely different. Looking for specific cars was a fun process and the filters were useful in narrowing down the list. We had a specific car in mind, including colour, so went searching straight for that. Everything was self explanatory and easy to follow. Having 2 different options for insurance type was nice too. Unfortunately, Turo depends on ‘non-employees’ to make sure your experience is seamless which I can imagine sometimes doesn’t happen but our experiences have been great and we’d certainly use the app and our lenders again!

Charles Hoffman Estates, IL

Went to Phoenix/Scottsdale, AZ to spend some time at a Hip Hop Convention and some time relaxing with the family. I've always wanted to drive a Tesla and see how feasible it would be to have one of my own. After searching Tesla rentals, Turo was the first site to come up. I was a bit skeptical at first but started reading reviews from customers because I've never heard of Turo before. I thought I'd give it a try. Turo is the AirBnB for cars. I rented a Tesla Model S from a Tesla owner. He dropped the car off at the airport where we met. He showed me everything I needed to know to drive the vehicle and made sure I was comfortable and good to go before he left since I've never say in a Tesla before. I'm now shopping for one and plan on purchasing a Tesla within the next year.

Jen Davie Sanford, ME

We are a family of six who recently traveled to Salt Lake City, UT from Maine. When shopping for a rental car, we were unable to find a deal online, as we were sized out of the standard sedan option (due to the sixth passenger). I was chatting with my mom about our situation, and she remembered a friend using Turo in Salt Lake City previously. I contacted her friend to hear about her experience and decided to give Turo a try! I am so happy that we used Turo as our rental car option! We saved a ton of money and had a great ride while visiting Utah. The person we rented from was amazing and went above in beyond to ensure that our rental experience was fantastic! I will definitely use Turo again in the future when traveling!

Bill Wegesend Happy Valley, OR

Turo is an excellent option over traditional rental car agencies where you have a better selection to what you really want to drive. In my experience I was able to rent a 2019 Corvette with only a couple thousand miles on it and a 2017 Jaguar F-Type both in immaculate conditions while in Hawaii. At first I was very cautious about using this online service however now I'm sold on it based on my experience. Turo is there for you if you need them but their All Star Hosts are outstanding with reliable beautiful cars. Some with cars you'd never be able to rent at traditional rental car agencies i.e. Telsa, Porchse, Audi. Jaguar, etc. Turo online is quick and easy and highly reccomend it to all. Bill W. from Happy Valley, Oregon

Alex Vorderman Fort Wayne, IN

Started this whole process on Kayak at my home in Fort Wayne, around 10:30pm the night before I needed a vehicle in Denver the following day around noon. I waited til the last minute so all SUV's from the mainstream rental companies were pricey. I remembered I downloaded the Turo app a couple years ago for fun to see what kind of cars were available here in Fort Wayne. Checked out the app, found not only a Suburban, but a very cool RST version, for less than any of the rental companies large SUV's. Requested it at 11pm, and at 12:04am, Mike, the owner responded and confirmed. He sent his daughter to the airport, right outside baggage claim so I didn't need to get a shuttle to rental companies a couple miles away, and his daughter took an Uber home. At dropoff, we met in the same location. It truly was the most luxurious, seamless transaction with a rental vehicle I've ever had. If all Turo experiences are as good as this was for me, Turo is going to take over the rental industry. I've been describing it to others as "the AirBnB for rental cars." Maybe one day AirBnB will buy out Turo for big $$$$! ; )