Turo

Turo

Turo, formerly Relay Rides is a car rental company that started in San Francisco, CA in 2009. The company nationally launched in March of 2012, and has built a community similar to a car version of Air BNB. Car owners can rent out their vehicles to people looking to rent.

The Good

• Availability
  • Simple process
  • Vehicle options

Turo rents vehicles priced approximately 40% lower than other car rental options. They are supported by top-tier investors, including: August Capital, Google Ventures, Shasta Ventures, Canaan Partners, and Trinity Ventures. Turo is currently available in over 2,500 cities, and over 300 airports throughout the United States. To cater to one's individual preferences, the company offers over 800 different car models to choose from.

In order to sign up for a car, it is as simple as signing into one's Facebook or email account. The first time one signs up for a car, all they have to do is plug in some general information, choose a car, rental date, and time. One can either decline additional insurance, or purchase the Basic or Premium option, each with varying physical damage and liability protection.

The price ranges depending on what car one gets. In addition to these fees, buyers may be charged fees for additional miles, parking tickets and cleaning fees. To get the car's trip price, one must multiply the relevant trip rate advertised on the vehicle by the duration. There are also the following fees:

• Trip Fee - 10% of trip price
  • Protection Fee - varies by if one chooses a premium (40% of car's rate), basic (15% of car's rate), or the decline option
  • Young Driver Fee-20% fee of the trip price for people under age 25
  • Delivery Fee-varies based on owner's settings
  • Airport Fee-10% fee of trip price if the rented vehicle is involved in the Turo Airport Lot program

In order to get the car and the keys, all the renter needs to do is meet the owner and show them their license. Some owners will even deliver the car right to the renter. Returning the car is simple, as the renter just needs to return the car with a tank full of gas to where it was initially picked up. Other benefits of using Turo include:

• Turo has an easy, user-friendly, and customizable rental sign up.
  • Cars available to rent in more than 2,500 cities.
  • There is no membership fee, and cars run for a flat rate of $40 a day.
  • All cars covered by Turo's fleet-wide insurance policy.

Renters can choose from cars, SUVs, minivans, trucks, convertibles, hybrids and vans. One can also filter by long term rentals, vehicle make, all-wheel drives, and more. There are more than 800 models and makes to choose from.

The Bad

• Car retrieval
  • Inconsistencies
  • Limitations

Since Turo does not operate with clients out of a specific agency, they utilize car owners that do not use their cars on an everyday basis. One has to meet the car owner, personally, in order to pick up the car. Renters may have to go out of their way to retrieve the car if there is not a Turo at the airport one flew into.

Having the cars all owned by people rather than an agency creates the possibility of inconsistency. Some owners may allow renters to drive 200 miles a day, while other may allow 100. Each owner has their own set of restrictions, so Turo does not have an overall list of rules for the available cars. Each renter must show the owner their driver's license, which does have personal information that people may not feel comfortable giving out to a random person. The downside to using Turo includes the following drawbacks:

• Since Turo does not own the cars, rules and regulations are inconsistent.
  • Turo does not offer cars in New York.
  • People under 21 years of age cannot rent a car, and people under age 25 have to pay additional fees. In fact, people under 25 may need to demonstrate at least two years of current US licensed driving history, and potentially can only rent out certain cars because they are considered "high-risk."

Insurance is also available to renters. There are several different packages each with varying physical damage and liability protection. There is $1 million in liability insurance on every rental. Their Premium package has a $500 deductible, and their basic package has a $3,000 deductible.

The Bottom Line

Turo is an affordable way to rent a car, and is a great option for people over age 25 to look into if one needs a vehicle. The whole process is customizable from start to finish. People can choose the car model, location, and owner that they do business with. Because Turo has cars in almost every city, it is likely one can find a rental vehicle when they need it. While it may be a safer bet to go with a more established company, Turo's a good option for people looking for an adventure, and want a cheaper rental car.

1. Turo has over 800 models of cars for people to choose from, and has options available in over 2,500 cities.
  2. The rules are inconsistent, and a lot of the regulations like mileage and allotted time are up to the owner.
  3. Service is not available in New York, or for people under age 21. People under age 25 pay extra fees.
  4. In order to get the keys and the car, one must meet the car owner, and show them their driver license.
  5. There is no membership fee. Cars run for a flat rate of $40 a day.
  6. Turo's website is helpful and thorough.

43 Turo Reviews

1. Select Your Rating

2. Subject For This Review * (Select all that apply)

0 characters

3. Review Validation*

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Next Step: Verify your email

We have sent a verification email to the following email address:

August 17th, 2017

Was told that I am unable to rent with the company. I emailed asking why, and was only told that I don't fit the requirements for renting. Emailed them again asking if there was something I could do in order to fit said requirements, and was denied an answer. The only answer their customer support could give me was: "Thanks for reaching out. We have carefully reviewed your case and our decision is final. Per Turo policy, mentioned in our previous email, we are not able or obligated to release the details of our review process. Please note that further communications from you will be read, but not responded to." I'm assuming they can pick and choose who rents, because I was told they are not able to release their review process. Bad enough they don't tell you how you can become an eligible renter. What a load of crap.

August 15th, 2017 WI

I reserved two cars for my upcoming business trip. 3 days before my trip, the owner cancelled my car. No biggie right? I got a message from Turo saying it was cancelled but they were there to help! Just respond to the email with the car you want and they'd get it worked out on your behalf. I did that and heard nothing.. 1 day goes by...nothing. Day 2, still nothing so I call. The customer service agent was not at all helpful. Took my phone number and told me that a reservation agent would call me. That NEVER happened. They are supposed to refund me the money and I can't rent something else until they do. Worst customer service ever and it''s not worth the anxiety!

August 12th, 2017 San Jose, CA

BE Very careful about using this company over other rental services as what happened to me. I had rented a car a month in advance for a trip, then a few days before the trip, I get a message that my car has been canceled. The owners reason because car needed maintenance., This really messed up my situation as all rental cars were not available at the time because of a special event in that city. Turo doesnt hold the person renting vehicle out accountable, but i read that the renter is fined if they cancel, " what bull is that". Stay away if you can, better and more reliable options out there.

July 26th, 2017

Although I understand that some circumstances may occur so a rental cannot be delivered as paid and agreed upon, the customer service that followed the last minute cancellation from Turo is totally unacceptable. My girlfriend and I arrived at the airport at 4pm and since we had not heard from the car owner we tried to contact him one more time without success. We then call Turo so they could also try to contact the owner but they were also unsuccessful. All they offered us is a refund, a $50 credit (originally $30) and 3 alternative rental options (received by email later when we had no access to internet) that were not only much more expensive or completely unacceptable but required us to wait at least 3 more hours (past 8pm) when we already only had 4 days vacation and none were available for the full period required. The customer representative showed no understanding or will in solving our situation. All he said is that the best he could do was to give us the credit and he forced the conversation to end. We then had to fall back on the car rental from the airport and most companies were sold out. Only 2 companies had some car left, the first one quoted us for $700 USD plus taxes and fees (as opposed to the original $120 booked) for a Chevrolet Aveo, that is how compromising and costly it is to rely on a rental from Turo and having to revert to last minute option. After waiting many more hours, we were able to secure a car for over $500 CAD for a 4 days rental. At the very least, Turo should offer fair and safe options for customers especially when they are traveling in another country. This seem like the only reasonable business model to succeed in such a market.

July 14th, 2017

So, I tried to rent a truck from Turo for my daughter's SuperCon trip next week. I'm on crunch time so I'm desperate to get this over with already. I tried, whenever I had some downtime, to rent from them, either a truck or a mini van to transport all of her artwork and all of her equipment via their mobile app. I continued to get an error message from their app stating that I should call customer service. Well, finally, when I had a little bit of downtime to contact customer service, I was told by their automated system that I couldn't speak to a representative and that I would have to communicate via text. Another bummer. I did as I was told by the automated system and I texted a phone number they gave me. I texted them with my concerns and I let them know that their application was consistently crashing. I did get a response back but the only response I got was that they would not be able to rent me a vehicle through their company. Of course, naturally, I became upset because I have never rented from them before and I was wondering what basis they had for determining that they could not provide me with service. I expressed to them via text that I was insulted and that I wanted to speak to a supervisor. I still could not wrap my head around why they wouldn't rent me a vehicle. I explained to them that I wanted to speak with a supervisor. After a couple minutes they responded that all determinations that are made by their team are final and that they would not be responding to any future text messages from me. I've never been so insulted in my life. What kind of customer service is this? I will be writing as many reviews as possible to share my experience. Went on their FB page to write a review and low and behold... no reviews section. How convenient.

5 0

July 12th, 2017 Los Angeles, CA

over an hour on hold when needed immediate help, then rude and unhelpful help. owner was horrible to deal with. would not recommend turo in any way . IF any money saved not worth the experience.

4 0

June 27th, 2017 Kissimmee, FL

I created an account on Turo, and rented a car. Several hours later I was notified by email that they had cancelled my reservation and closed my account. I wrote back and forth several times with them, and they refused to provide a reason or allow me to make any changes in order to comply with their secret policies. It took me a lot of correspondence with them, and asking to have my account reviewed by a manager, but finally I was able to submit additional verification of my identity and have my account reinstated.

3 0

June 22nd, 2017 Baltimore, MD

I am in owner of multiple vehicles I rent out in the Baltimore area. I use multiple platforms but Turo is the best. They are fast when it comes to claims, which I have had to use twice. They are helpful on the emergency line. They get back to your emails within 2 days. The only thing that I don't like is there is not enough notice and dissemination of policy changes! I pay close attention to my money and I rent out cars multiple times per week and sometimes multiple times per day. Therefore, I know immediately when something has changed. I'll go on facebook or twitter and check my email and there will be no mention of the change. Then when I reach out to customer service, they will act like idk what I'm talking about until I press the issue and show them proof that policies have changed that affect my bottom line. If they make that small change and stay the way they are otherwise, I would give them a 10 rating. I felt compelled to write because I'm seeing a lot of disgruntled drivers (not owners) giving bad reviews. If you treat the car the way you would want your car to be treated, you would most likely not have any issues. Now if you do have issues because I'm sure not all owners are truthful or care about customer service, your problem still would have most likely be resolved with adequate documentation on your part such as taking pictures on your own, recording mileage, keeping track of how much you drive, communicating within the app, etc.

1 0

June 21st, 2017 Chicago, IL

I listed my car on this site to rent. The person who rented it trashed my car. I filed a claim and the claim supervisor could of cared less. He told me to have fun suing because they're not going to pay a dime. This is literally the worst ride sharing company & customer service I've ever witnessed. It's just a giant scam.

June 19th, 2017

I have used this app 3 times and it has never convinced me. - The customer service is very inconsistent and does not resolve anything. - The communications with the owners can be difficult and the service is too informal. When evrything goes ok no problem...when you have any issue good luck: you are on your own. - I thought the service was a good deal in the market but after done a better research I've realized that more serious and traditional rental car services have same or even better prices. - That said I dont see a real benefit using this app, I am very dissapointed

May 25th, 2017

After renting a Ford Mustang with Turo app during my stay in the USA, there were an entire list of unauthorized charges on my credit card account with diverse excuses. Ihave reached out to the support team whom have decided to resolve the issue in favour of the renter, Ms. Jackie. Though my experience with the car was great, the app gave the owner access to debiting my card whenever they wanted for whatever they felt appropriate. I have now contacted Mastercard who will take care of the Charge Back and resolve this issue directly. As a customer of Turo, whom I have handed my security details (Credit Card and Personal information), a terrible customer service and no safety of trade in this platform. Will continue using official and trustworthy car rental companies. Don't recommend this service to anyone who wants to travel with peace of mind. Thank you. Regards, Tercio Borba

3 1

May 22nd, 2017

I was prohibited from renting from Turo after one rent. The car owner was very happy. Turo said I used the car for business purposes because I took it to a place where I needed to do business. I questioned this and Turo support said I was OK to rent again but they never lifted the ban. Turo support is impossible to reach and only sends out form letters (E-mails) to questions after a several day delay. I have sent them copies or THEIR E-mails but they don't take any action on my problem. You can NEVER contact a live person for help. It is kind of scary. What if you rented a car and something went really wrong and needed to get some help?

May 21st, 2017

HIDDEN TERMS - HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE Turo is a great idea, I've rented with them several times and have loved the opportunity to drive different types of cars. However I just had the worst customer experience with them. I rented a car under the terms "Delivery & Pick up Los Angeles International Airport". When came the time to get my car, I was told that I need to send a text message to a service that would send a shuttle to LAX and take me to a nearby parking lot. I told them this was not acceptable to me as I had a tight time commitment. I asked for a refund since this is an essential change of term and it should have been disclosed in the offer. Their response was to tell me I had no choice and to hang up on me.

May 17th, 2017

turo support is a mess. the damage was visible in the before photos already, I still got charged USD 500.-. I'm waiting to get refunded for TWO MONTHS now. terrible and disrespectful service.

May 11th, 2017 Los Angeles, CA

I lost the car key, and was happy to pay the owner to replace it. What i was not happy about is the $100 service fee the Turo charged me to "process" this payment. I was shocked by this amount, and they refused to reduce it, even to $50.

May 10th, 2017

Beware of Turo! I listed a car that I do not normally use and had a few smooth trips and Turo handsomely get their 25% cut. However, when issues happen, Turo stopped being handsome or helpful. The traveler who rented my car was stuck in traffic in city and cannot return the car in time. I, in a hurry to catch a plane, chose to be nice and told the traveler just to park the car back to where he picked up. Unfortunately, the traveler parked the car on other people's driveway due to negligence I presume. The owner of that house was nice and waited 2 days before seeing nothing was happening and called police and have it being towed. I, being out of the country, was unaware of the situation until I got back. I went through quite a bit of trouble getting the car back and reported the incident to Turo. However, it is just the start. Instead of trying to resolve the issue, the escalation lead I am dealing with, Luke, was trying everything to deny any responsibility and refuse to reimburse me. I provided all kinds of documents: tickets, receipts, registrations. What I got back after days of back and forth is cannot help. Main reason being it is not within the 24 hour time frame, which is the company policy. I am deeply disappointed. Within 24 hour or not, it is not my responsibility that cause the vehicle being towed. When we rent the car out on Turo, we form a contract with Turo. Instead of hold their end of contract, Turo is just denying of any responsibility. We trusted Turo and share our car on Turo when we do not need them. When things are well, it works well. However, if something like this happens, as an individual, we cannot mitigate the loss and is just screwed. I am here recommending all my friend and people beware. It is a big risk to list your car on Turo. The platform, contrary to what you might think, takes not responsibility.

May 5th, 2017

I was a happy Turo user until my close friend, who I convinced to rent his Dodge Ram on here had his vehicle stolen while using the app and they're not taking responsibility. They cancelled the trip after he rented it because the driver was not approved to drive. The vehicle has not been returned and they did nothing. I am a witness to this transaction as it happened at our office and I believe they're at fault here. I hope they realize that their business is based on vehicle owners and if you don't protect them you will have no business. I will no longer rent my Corvette and Mercedes on this app until Turo starts backing the owners. Update... it looks Turo is stepping up to the play now. I'll keep you posted.

May 1st, 2017 Miami, FL

I have rented from Turo before in the past, and never had an issue. I went to rent again and received a message that I was unable to rent. I sent a message to customer service and they advised that they have to take additional steps to verify my identity and for me to send a picture of my license, a picture of myself holing my license and a picture of my debit card. I thought that process was weird, but I did so to verify my identity. After 3 days of not hearing back from anyone in customer service I followed up and I received an email that my membership was denied I replied back to the email, and asked the lady Paula Alcasid why was I being denied after reading the qualifications on their website, and I meet all of the criteria I have a valid license, Full coverage insurance, and over 25. She was very rude and advised that "Turo does not release the details of our review process as doing so would compromise its effectiveness". I then explained to her that this is not making sense, and that I would like to know what the qualifications are based off of since what the website states I meet, and at this point I sent her all of my identity information and clearly from the picture she could see that I am Black she came back again and stated that "We have carefully reviewed your case and our decision is final. Per Turo policy, mentioned in our previous email, we are not able or obligated to release the details of our review process. Please note that further communications from you will be read, but not responded to". I stressed back to her that I feel discriminated against, because there is no reason for me to be denied based on the qualifications listed on her website and the fact that they had me send pictures to verify my identity made me feel like this was a common case of discrimination. Also from reading renting a car through here is to the discretion of the owner of the vehicle and if that owner chooses to cancel the trip one hour before the trip they can do so which is unprofessional and unreliable.

April 25th, 2017

If anything goes wrong, you are screwed. I actually caused some damage when backing out of a parking garage on the car I was renting. My fault, I know. So I had to go through their claims department, which was a complete disaster and cost me thousands of dollars, despite the damage being very minor. 3 months after the incident, I was shown an estimate that included parts of the vehicle that were not at all related to the damage I caused, which can be proven by comparing the estimate to the documented photos (for example, $500 worth of glass, when the damage wasn't even close to any glass parts of the car; front passenger side work, when the damage was on the drivers rear side). Yet, ten minutes after I received the request for payment, I got a second email threatening to send the issue to a collections agency due to "several attempts to contact me," though I had clearly received the final payment request that day. Though it was clear that damage on the estimate did not match the photos of the damage I caused, I paid the balance right away ($2,200!!!!) due to the immediate threat of this being sent a collections agency and damaging my credit permanently. The false claim by Turo that they had "attempted to contact me several times," and therefore had a reason to send this to a collections agency, was a grossly obvious attempt to get me to pay an unfair balance without the opportunity to dispute it. A collections agency, of course, cannot deal with disputes of this nature. Once it's in the hands of a third party, disputes about payment cannot be resolved. So, good job, Turo, you got me to pay over $2,000 for 2 small scratches by purposefully denying my rights as a driver and consumer. What's the commission Turo gets from renters screwing over their customers? Hope it was worth it.

April 21st, 2017 Berkeley, CA

I created an account and had a temporary Drivers License from the DMV. They suspended my account and said I had to have the actual license and they don't accept temporary licenses. That's fine. I got my California Drivers License in the mail a few days later and emailed their support team to ask them to reinstate my account and attached a photo of my drivers license. I then got an email back that I did not meet their qualifications and they were officially revoking my account. ??? I can't sign in. There's no other information. They asked for my Drivers License, I gave it to them. They declined my account? How does that make any sense at all??