Turo, formerly Relay Rides, is a peer-to-peer car sharing company that started in San Francisco, California in 2009. Similar to the Airbnb model, local car owners advertise and rent their vehicles to drivers who would prefer to avoid the standard rental car experience.

The company launched nationally in March of 2012 and is currently available in over 4,500 cities and over 300 airports throughout the United States. Turo is supported by top-tier investors, including August Capital, Google Ventures, Shasta Ventures, Canaan Partners, and Trinity Ventures.

Keep reading for pros and cons, plus Turo reviews from real customers.

#2 Enterprise CarShare chevron_right
#3 Uber chevron_right

The Good

• Variety of Vehicles Available
  • Simple Sharing Process
  • Rental Prices and Fees
  • Insurance Coverage

Variety of Vehicles Available

To cater to individual preferences, the company offers over 800 different car models to choose from. Renters can choose from cars, SUVs, minivans, trucks, convertibles, hybrids and vans. One can also filter by rental period for long-term rentals, the vehicle make, features like all-wheel drives, and more.

Simple Sharing Process

Turo has an easy, user-friendly, and customizable rental sign up. In order to sign up for car sharing, create a Turo account by simply signing into your Facebook or email account.

The first time you sign up for a car, all you have to do is enter some general information, choose a car, rental date, and time. You can either decline additional insurance or purchase the Basic or Premium option, each with varying physical damage and liability protection.

In order to get the car and the keys, all the renter needs to do is meet the owner and show them their driver's license. Some owners will even deliver the car right to the renter. Returning the car is simple, as the renter just needs to return the car with a tank full of gas to where it was initially picked up.

Rental Prices and Fees

Turo rents vehicles priced approximately 35 percent lower than other car rental options. The price ranges depending on what car one gets. There is no membership fee and cars generally go for a flat rate of $40 per day.

In addition to rental fees, buyers may be charged fees for additional miles, parking tickets and cleaning fees. To get the car's trip price, one must multiply the relevant trip rate advertised on the vehicle by the duration. There are also the following fees:

• Trip Fee — 10% of trip price
  • Protection Fee — varies by if one chooses a premium (40% of car's rate), basic (15% of car's rate), or the decline option
  • Young Driver Fee — 20% fee of the trip price for people under age 25
  • Delivery Fee — varies based on owner's settings
  • Airport Fee — 10% fee of trip price if the rented vehicle is involved in the Turo Airport Lot program

It should also be noted that payment information, including debit card and credit card payments, are made through the Turo app or website, not the rental host.

Insurance Coverage

With Turo, there are private and commercial hosts. When it comes to Turo’s insurance, owners can either use Turo’s policies or decline coverage to be eligible for a commercial, third-party insurance policy.

When owners decline Turo’s insurance coverage, they are considered a Commercial Host. As such, they must have their policy verified by Turo prior to renting any of their vehicles.

Turo’s originally offered three different tiers of protection for owners to choose from. The Premium, Standard, and Basic plans (available before July 1, 2020).  All three plans came with $1 million in liability coverage and physical damage protection that covers the value of the car, up to $125,000. From there, the plans differ in host deductible, cost, and other amenities.

As of July 1, 2020 Turo offers five vehicle protection plans: the 60 Plan, 70 Plan, 75 Plan, 80 Plan, and the 85 Plan.

All five plans provide up to $750,000 in third-party liability insurance (offered by Liberty Mutual) and varying levels of contractual reimbursement (reflected in the plan names) from Turo for physical damage and theft. However, bear in mind that the level of available reimbursement will vary depending on the chosen plan.

We recommend consumers thoroughly read Turo’s detailed terms and conditions for more information regarding Turo’s host protection plans.

Guest Protection

Just as you would when you rent a car with other rental car companies, before you complete your booking, you have to choose which protection plan you want for your trip.

If you choose a commercial host, then the host will provide you with options. None of the guest plans cover mechanical or interior damage.

If you already have personal insurance, Turo’s coverage will supplement your existing coverage. Policies differ in the amount of liability insurance, deductible payment required, and damage protection. We recommend you refer to the company's website for detailed information on each plan.

The Bad

• Car Retrieval
  • Variable Restrictions
  • Availability Limitations
  • Caring for the Car

Car Retrieval

Since Turo does not operate with clients out of a specific agency, it utilizes car owners that do not use their cars on an everyday basis. Renters must meet the car owner personally in order to pick up the car. Renters may have to go out of their way to retrieve the car if there is not a Turo already at the airport.

Additionally, each renter must show the car owner his or her driver's license, which does have personal information that people may not feel comfortable sharing with a random person.

Variable Restrictions

Since Turo does not own the cars, rules and regulations are inconsistent. Some owners allow renters to drive 200 miles a day, while others allow only 100. Each owner has his or her own set of restrictions, so Turo does not have an overall list of rules for the available cars.

Availability Limitations

Turo does not offer cars in New York. People under 21 years of age cannot rent a car, and people under age 25 have to pay additional fees.

In fact, people under 25 may need to demonstrate at least two years of current U.S. licensed driving history, and potentially can only rent out certain cars because they are considered "high-risk."

Caring for the Car

One thing that is different about the Turo experience is that guests are expected to care for the car as if it were their own. So, if the exterior of the car is significantly dirtier or if it has junk food crumbles inside from a road trip, you have to take it through a car wash and vacuum it out before returning it. If not, you may be charged a cleaning fee between $30 and $250. This is a big difference between standard car rental companies and renting a car with Turo.

The Bottom Line

Travelers who want a cheap or out of the ordinary rental vehicle will be satisfied with Turo's offerings. Users can choose the car model, location, and owner.

Finding a unique rental vehicle, on the low or high-end is made easier through Turo's growing community, where owners can use this portal to the sharing economy to make some extra money.

However, keep in mind that service is not available in New York or to potential customers under age 21, and people under age 25 must pay extra fees while renting.

View Best Car Sharing Companies

4.1

Very Unsatisfied Customer

February 24th, 2021 Portland, OR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I had a very negative experience with Turo. I would caution those that are considering Turo as they are a very small, new company and are therefore more reactive to sensitive situations more than proactive. Also, they have a certain host, Christopher, who I would caution about as well. He seems nice enough, but he cannot be confided in and will stab you in the back if given the opportunity to suit his needs.

Kharabela Rout

February 22nd, 2021 , DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They are a total scam.Stay away from them. My vehicle is damaged and they are not replying.

Nick Jahanian

February 19th, 2021 Katy, TX

Terrible unresponsive company. Don’t use them. Stay away

NEB Designs

February 18th, 2021 Brooklyn, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I was very disappointed and dissatisfied with Megan’s assistance. As a customer of Turo, I requested a copy of the ticket that I was reimbursing the host. She refused to request that of the host and did the bare minimum or nothing at all in retrieving it. The only thing that is uploaded is a copy of a receipt which isn’t the ticket. This is insufficient evidence for a ticket. Anyone can upload a copy of a receipt or photoshop a receipt but no can falsify an actual parking ticket. I highly recommend reviewing your required documents for reimbursement. It is very sketchy. I also did not authorize the payment because my Amex card was removed back in October 2020 from my account prior to being charged in February 2021 for reimbursement of a parking ticket -_-. In addition, they allowed the host to upload a ticket that was issued a month prior to us renting it and expected me to pay for it! This is unacceptable, unprofessional and unreliable. I will never use Turo again.

Mohamed Attia

February 18th, 2021 Springfield, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Terrible support. I rented a car and found out that the check engine light is on, I returned the car to the host after 30 minutes and the seller still charged me. I contacted support and they sided with the host!! because he has 16 cars on Turo

James Roberts

February 15th, 2021 Wheat Ridge, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Beware. The TL;DR is the vehicle we rented had 2 very unsafe tires. The belt on one blew on the highway, and one had less than 2/32" of tread. Both were verified by experts in writing at Goodyear. We were forced to replace both tires on our dime -- and now both Turo and the owner refuse to repay us. Turo's support org. is the worst we've ever experienced at a tech company by far and is genuinely unhelpful. We provided Turo extensive documentation on all of this but they would not rectify the situation in the first 10 attempts, and never even got an apology.

Keri Christensen

February 6th, 2021 Washington, DC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Extremely poor customer experience from phone support and host. Hosts car was damaged prior to our rental date and they asked us to swap to another car. Ended up costing us over 60 dollars more which wasn’t disclosed up front. They did the run around of ‘the host needs to fix it call them’ and ‘turo needs to fix it call them’. After over three hours of trying we gave up but we’ll never rent from this company or host again-buyer beware. After over a year of successfully renting from them multiple times they didn’t even offer a good faith credit for a future rental. We’ll use Getaround from now on.

Tanya Rizzo

January 17th, 2021 Katy, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Horrible experience renting from Ryan L via Turo. The AC in the vehicle did not work which is a BIG deal in AZ on an 80 temp day. No disclaimer of this or credit provided. Also needed to cancel the trip after 30 minutes of use due to COVID exposure and frankly wanting to keep the car safe. Asked for a credit for the 3rd day (willing to still pay the 2-day minimum) and they refused. Horrible response time of these issues and unwilling to work on a solution for both parties. Strongly urge you to research the cars recently and the owners. Horrible experience and would not suggest this app to anyone. Worth the few extra $$ to rent a car from someone reliable and with better customer care.

John

January 16th, 2021 Harrow, HRW DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Beware. In case of claims for damage or accident Turo will charge unreal fees and send immediately to collection agents damaging your credit score. I have been charged $800 for roadside recovery in the city. Now they ask for 2000 more. Nightmare and lots of legal expenses. Not worth.

Sarah Meyer

December 29th, 2020 Broken Arrow, OK DETAILS arrow_drop_down

HORRIBLE. Dont let anything happen to the rental because the fees Turo charge are almost as much as insurance deductible. I will never use Turo again.

Pedro Pablo Fernández

December 25th, 2020 Pompano Beach, FL

I have rented cars from TURO many times as my records demonstrate and I have never had any problems until the last time. On my last reservation I was scammed and it has been impossible to contact TURO for an answer. When I arrived to pick up the car, the host told me that I had to pay for an insurance that was not included in any part of my reservation. My own insurance covers me when I rent a car. Typically, I just have to inform the insurance company in advance and give them the car information. I asked the host to provide proof that the insurance was required by law and he answered: "If you are not going to pay the insurance you can leave the office now." He was just trying to rob me. It took me an hour to get to the pick up place only to leave without the car, which ruined my plans for Christmas with my family. TURO send me this message: “You cancelled this trip. Your original trip cost was $60.00. Based on our cancellation policy, your refund of $30.00 was initiated on Dec 24. It typically takes 3-5 business days to show up on your payment method. Travel credit is refunded immediately. Our support team will reach out about the issue with your host”. According to TURO’s cancellation policy, I was refunded in the form of travel credit 50% of my trip. My trip wouldn’t have been cancelled if it weren’t for the host’s lack of proper customer service. I should have not been charged any amount of money and would like the entirety of my $60 refunded. TURO´s host attempted to scam me. I would like to know what TURO is going to do about it. The person who rents the car calls herself Karina. It is actually an agency that rents many cars next to the Miami International Airport. The host of this location should be banned from dealing with TURO’s customers given that he only attempts to scam them for his own benefit. I want an immediate answer from TURO.

host

December 21st, 2020 ,

DON'T RENT YOUR CAR ON TURO My vehicle was stolen by a guest. It was found 16 days later by the police and the car was water damaged. Turo never answer my calls after that and after 20 days someone from the claim department called me to tell me they will not cover my vehicle. THIS IS THE MOST REDICULUS THING I HAVE NEVER HEARDS. Thank God I have my personal insurance.

Jax0924

December 3rd, 2020 Fort Lauderdale, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The worst ever! Over charged and was charged a young driver fee even though I’m 41 and when I requesting a refund they gave me a ridiculous excuse for not refunding me. Customer service was not helpful at all. I was also charged $40 for being slightly under in the gas upon returning vehicle. Super unhappy. First and last time.

Alexis

December 2nd, 2020 Berkeley, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I'm only giving 1 star in order to leave this review. DO NOT rent a Turo car. I prefer paying the same amount through a company such as Hertz. They have terrible customer service. You can't contact anyone via a phone call. Everything is through an app that gives you automated responses to issues. We were told everything was good when we retuned our car but were then charged a $150 cleaning fee for pet hair (that was only on the floor of the passenger side because of our dog which the owner of the car was fine with). We were disappointed with this fee because the we received the car, it was dirty. We felt bad addressing this with Turo and the owner and since we are in a pandemic, we decided to just hand clean the car ourselves. We didn't dispute this or bring it up until being charged an extra $150 for a cleaning fee that was very unfair. When trying to connect with Turo customer service, all they did was give us the run around via email and different chats. No one has yet reached out to us via a phone and when we asked to speak to a manger, they said they couldn't connect us with one. Never heard of a company that can't connect you with a manager. Please never order from this fraudulent company. We were trying to help someone during the pandemic by renting their car but in return received a nightmare. Not worth the few buck YOU MAY save. Rent from a reputable company.

Asiia

December 1st, 2020 ,

Turo SUCKS. Their customer representatives are ridiculous. Unprofessional. They’re not fair, and they all seem to be slow. Every time I call, I get the run around. They don’t know how to do their job. They can’t help with anything. I WOULD GIVE THEM ZERO STARS IF I COULD.

Heather Sluter

November 23rd, 2020 South Deerfield, MA

I was a host. Once. I choose the highest amount of insurance I could, but then when my guest booked my car, I had noticed it had moved itself down one tier, so I moved it back up to full coverage, and though all was ok. My FIRST guest got in an accident, and it took me 4 days to get Turo to get my car back to me. Then I had to find a mechanic to fix a significant collision, and because of the pandemic, no one could for 2 weeks. So I got it to the mechanic in two weeks, then I got a estimate from Turo for $1900.00. My garage laughed, and said it would be at least double that. And it was. Turo did pay the garage through me, but now I owe a $250.00 deductible, though I absolutely know I choose the highest tier of insurance, twice in fact. Then, you are supposed to get a $30 driving fee for loss of income, but whomever made the claim, said it would take 4 days to fix. 4 days! I've been without my car for over a month. And I'll maybe get $120 because the idiot who did the claim said it would take 4 days to fix! In a pandemic. So now I'm out a month without a car, have to pay $250 deductible, and only get $120. ( maybe, I haven't seen anything yet) now my car has been in an accident, it depreciating in value. Never, ever, ever again. Turo is great until there is an issue, then you get completely screwed.

Craig Buchanan

November 19th, 2020 Peoria, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Beware of becoming a Turo host. They talk a good story and I was getting decent income from renting my car on their site, BUT when a renter wrecked my car they have weaseled out of paying my claim . I'm left with a wrecked car on which they collected insurance from me and the renter but won't pay the claim. The sales rep who was courting me now says he won't help, they won't communicate with me and now I research it I find out that this is pretty common behavior on their part. NOT WORTH IT!!!

Mimi

November 11th, 2020 Columbus, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I booked a car through Turo about 4 weeks ago. I planned on extending the stay, but was unable to because my bank froze my card. I wasn’t able to return the car that night and did not expect my bank to freeze my car cause me to not be able to extended the trip, so I contacted the host and told them the situation and that I would would fix the card issue first thing in the morning when I spoke with my bank and pay for the extended time. The host said it was fine. They then report the vehicle as late the next morning which is fine they were just doing what they were supposed to do and following Turo regulations. My account was then suspended while they investigate or whatever they needed to do to verify everything. I did everything that was needed of me from Turo to clear my account to be able to book again with them. A few weeks ago I tried to login and my account went from restricted to terminated. I have called their customer service and chatted with various of their verification team members multiple times through the day throughout the week for about a month now and nothing have been resolved or nobody has got back with me on fixing the issue like they said they would. I keep getting told that my case was recommended to their special team and someone from that department would get in touch with me via email and nobody has for the last 4 weeks. So, I am not sure when or if I will ever be getting my account back. It was an overall good experience as far as booking and car rental goes. Just don’t encounter any problems with them because it will never get fix.

Deanna Faison

October 23rd, 2020 Capitol Heights, MD DETAILS arrow_drop_down

App was very easy to use. Claude A was a great host and very flexible.

Walter Perc

October 22nd, 2020 Ottawa, ON DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We were given an extremely unsafe vehicle from Turo. The tires were worn out to the point that it made the vehicle dangerous to manoever and caused one of our tires to fall apart while driving on the highway where I narrowly avoided a serious crash. Submitting a claim through Turo has been a horrible process as well as I have just been getting the runaround from there support who claims that there is little they can do for us. Overall I would highly recommend that you do NOT rent through Turo and save yourself the trouble and just rent through a normal car rental agency. I for sure will not be using Turo again

Sabrina Orama

October 19th, 2020 Sanford, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This company doesn't even deserve a star. Rented 2 months ago, host rented me a vehicle with 2 damaged tires, knowingnly. Was stranded had to rent a room and spent $200.00 + con tires. And am tired of calling and writing with no response or refund. HORRIBLE customer service and will be filing with BBB.

Amy Cutler

October 11th, 2020 Midvale, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Seems easy right? It was until the end when I was an hour late returning the car because I got caught in construction traffic. I texted the owner and told him I would be late, stuck in construction traffic. I called customer service rather then pull over on the highway to extend my trip. The customer service rep told me I was an hour late for the return and I should have extended the trip through the app. I told her I was going 80 mph on the highway and am calling because I didn't want to pull over just to get on the app. I didn't know I had to extended the trip while I was enroute and when the owner told me to do that while I was driving I called immediately to extend. The rep told me to just respond to the email when I deliver the car safely back to the owner. Then it happened... This company not only charged me another $165 for returning the car one hour late, overuse and over miles. They tack on extra cost and fees and their answer when I refuse to pay this is "we have policies". DO NOT USE Turo as it is so much more expensive then just renting a car. The owner of the car got extra money, this company is demanding extra money just because I was stuck in traffic. I'll never use turo again because of their undisclosed, greedy, money-,making tricks again.

Amelia Cook

October 9th, 2020 San Francisco, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have been emailing Turo for over a month trying to understand why they are charging me for a small dink in the windshield that was the result of simply driving on the highway (i.e. not a result of an accident or third party damage). I have had rental cars with this problem and they have never tried to charge me for a replacement windshield. I purchased their standard insurance policy with a $500 deductible. The basics are: 1) We were driving on the highway when a rock hit the windshield (a small rock, the crack is about as long as a fingernail as evidenced in photos). 2) The owner of the vehicle messaged me after the car was returned and said that I could pay the $340 to get it fixed or try to go through Turo's claims process, although he cautioned against this as he knew of people being held liable for the $500 deductible from previous incidents and said they charge for administration fees without detailing those. 3) I contacted their customer service line before submitting a claim and spoke to someone who assured me it would be covered so I should go ahead with their claims process (I have the call reference # if they wanted to check). 4) The claims process comes back with a these following "details" and a bill for $500 per the insurance policy: "Breakdown of claim costs: The total cost of this claim is: $723.61 Damage amount: $623.61 Processing fees: $100.00" 5) I have asked repeatedly for an explanation of their wear and tear policy seeing as my understanding before purchasing the insurance was that something like this would be under their wear and tear as stated on their website. All inquiries regarding more specific language have resulted in me being repeatedly sent back to their website that states "Exterior Wear and Tear is any dings, dents, cracks, or scratches to the exterior body of the vehicle that are 3 inches in diameter or less. It includes, but isn’t limited to rims, wheels, hubcaps, any painted or textured area for the body of the vehicle, and moldings." This obviously does not mention windshields but the damage caused by a rock flying up during driving is well below the 3 inch diameter. I have asked numerous times to see the language as to why the windshield is not covered with just the most recent email saying that it is not covered under the definition of the body of the car. No official language from the company, just representatives saying this is what it is. Obviously, with first being told it was covered and now this flip flop saying it isn't, I am not trusting a representative's word without seeing how they are characterizing the damage. However, they refuse to be more specific. 6) The owner of the car purchased premium insurance and I purchased their standard insurance. It has not been explained to me why both policies do not cover a complete coincidence (a rock hitting a windshield, vs. something like and accident) and why I am paying out of pocket if the repair is already covered by his insurance. 7) I have read online about Turo's previous behavior concerning claims similar to mine and they seem to do this regularly. Apparently the only way to get these charges dropped is to go to small claims court. The following is an excerpt of the latest email (edited for clarity) that I have sent which is a representation of my repeated inquiries and frustrations with the company. "Again, to reiterate this to the point of exhaustion, I am asking for a concrete (PDF), detailed version of your legal language concerning this [wear and tear policy regarding windshields] and a copy of the administrative report from this claim detailing how the admin charges were calculated. I would like to see in this policy where the windshield is positively classified as non-body, or a separate entity from the body on the vehicle, and, additionally, an explanation for why a WINDSHIELD is not mentioned in your EXTERIOR wear and tear policy. If you insist that this charge is valid, and tell me you would like to explain the charges, then please do explain them fully. I am not taking quotes that you have internally generated by whatever policies you have (that I apparently am not allowed to read as evidenced by the incredible amount of pushback I've had with getting this language to read for myself) as an explanation in any way. Moreover, to repeat myself again, an individual told me it would be covered over the phone. I believed her without asking for the language of the policy (my mistake, clearly. The call reference number is XXXXXXX). I cannot take your word in good faith seeing as a representative apparently checked your policy for me and, seeing as she told me over the phone explicitly that I would be covered, did not relay the correct information about what I would actually be on the hook for. Therefore, I refuse to take anyone's word on this seeing as it is not clear to me that any specific representative I am talking to knows what the actual policy is apart from some vague language on your website. Furthermore, please explain: 1) Why I am being charged twice the rate the owner gave me for a replacement windshield. If he gets it replaced for $340 (as he quoted me- I have a screenshot), why would I pay twice that for a fix up that didn't actually cost that much? 2) Why I am paying for your standard insurance when the owner also has premium insurance - if his car is covered by your premium insurance what's the point in me purchasing insurance at all?" To conclude, the company seems to be intentionally vague both before purchasing insurance and now when I am asking for the details of why I am being charged. I believe they think I will give up and pay out of frustration, not because they will detail why I am being charged what I am being charged.

Kraig Nicolls

October 8th, 2020 Coronado, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Turo started off strong and now has switched to unethical business practices. After renting a car that had a part fail and the owner agreed it was no fault of mine. Turo decided to open a claim and come after me for close to $1500. They blocked my contact on Turo app from the owner of the vehicle. They have also buried online reviews calling them out.

Manuel Morera

October 4th, 2020 Franklinton, LA

Do not do it. We were left on the middle of the road. They town the van due to a gas leak. No give us new car, costumer services were less the pleasant. We spend much more money and a horrible experience. They did not even care to put our lives at risk. Just stay away!

Nate Dickson

October 2nd, 2020 Toronto, ON

This morning I attempted to register for Turo. My drivers license as I was the driver. and my partner was putting her credit card on the file. We provided my license a picture of my face and all my personal sensitive information. We also provided her cc number and personal info. A copy of her drivers license and a photo of her holding the cc and drivers license beside her face. I spoke with 6 people over a 3.5 hour period. I provided to each of them the sensitive information and still was unable to have their registration department register me. I feel violated and scammed. I feel like my privacy has been compromised. I have worked in the auto motive retail world for a decade. Reaching general manager status. I could have withdrawn cash from my account and walked and bought a new car in this period of time. I couldnt get a manager on the phone regardless of asking to escalate to that level multiple times with multiple people. I tried to spend my hard earned money on this supposed highly regarded platform and they made it impossible and intolerable to do so. So after 3 plus hours of hard efforts and losing money from my day job by missing these valuable hours. I cancelled my account with turo and have gone elsewhere and I suggest all who read this do the same. Zero accountability, 100% abuse of sensitive information and in the end I couldn't even use the app, book a car when i needed one, or spend my money with the company. That isnt a company. They dont have a business model. They have zero management structures or strategic methods of operations. BE VERY AWARE AND RUN!

Chevalisa Bruzzone

September 26th, 2020 Santa Cruz, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I worked with Mike and Melissa in the Boulder, CO area and I found them to be friendly, caring and professional. And the car was almost-new tidy, smell free and one tank took me seven hours at 70 MPG to deplete! Would absolutely recommend these folks.

beyour freedom

September 26th, 2020 Portland, OR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Dishonest and Worst customer service, Trip went perfect and host was great, Issue started when there was a small gas cap damage, these crooks denied the insurance claim of Host,(I have pictures) . Then charged me 324$ for damage with no detailed information. when i called them about on this to get the detailed information on damage cost breakdown and after confronting them about host being denied reimbursement. they said they are going to take the damage cost because they couldn’t find the estimate and send me confirmation email after the call. I waited for hours and didn’t get confirmation email. Then after 2 days later , they generated a fake estimate from non local area with wrong milage and number of the car. (they just created made up cost amount with pictures) then justified the charge with 178$ for repair, 75 for appraisal fee, 75$ processing fee. Turo is Totally fraud and shady app if something goes wrong. i am unable to understand and comprehend how any company can do it in day light. i have successful rents before this happened and loved it before. it totally works if and when there is no company involvement.

SKM

September 24th, 2020 Surrey, BC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Do NOT make an account with Turo. Do not put up any personal information on your account. It is a scam. I had used Turo once, over a year ago, the experience was fine, however a year later, my account got hacked and Turo has done nothing to help me out. The first time my I was charged $800USD, they refunded my the money, minus the exchange rate, therefore still lost out on $100. They told me they would completely deactivate my account, get rid of any of my personal information, including banking information, so the next time I was to use the app, I would be creating a new account all together. Yet, 2 months after that experience, the same account information had been used and charged $150USD to my account. And now, since my account has been compromised, their "team" doesn't know where to start or how to figure out how to actually help me here. Their trust & safety team is absouletly useless, they don't get back to you for over a week at a time and when they do, are of no help. When you call Turo customer service, they had random people speaking to you with no information that will actually help you. They don't have a real customer service team therefore could care less about what you've been experiencing. I am now out about $250, and Turo has done nothing to help me get this sorted. No one to call, and no one to email. Completely disappointed, and now I am left having to change all my banking information since the company itself doesn't seem to care about unauthorized account activity.

Johan Perez

September 23rd, 2020 Los Angeles, CA

I never used Turo in my life, and they decided to block me from the platform. I'm VERY interested to know why as I have been driving for more than 10 years with zero accident. here is the message I just received: Hi Johan, Thank you for your interest in Turo. Unfortunately, after reviewing your information, we have confirmed the decision to restrict your account. Turo considers many factors when determining eligibility and we reserve the right to undertake screenings, checks, and processes designed to help verify the identities and/or backgrounds of our Turo users. Although we do not disclose specific details of our internal review process, our decision to deactivate your account was based off one or more of the following: * Failed background screening * Risk flags triggered by Turo’s internal system * One or more motor vehicle record violations * Violation of Turo’s [Terms of Service] We wish you the best of luck in your endeavors, but this is a final decision on our part. Thank you again for your interest in Turo. Regards, Turo Verification Team

Fight For The Little Guy

September 13th, 2020 Detroit, MI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Not Even Sure how Turo verifies licenses, keep getting renters who live in my state with way out of state licenses with just questionable aspects that appear fake. Third customer gets into a accident and I had the top tier 60 plan. Nothing major just a cracked tail light and A small dent in the bumper, mind you my car is a brand new 2019 vehicle. Damage came out to $700 and Turo says that they will only cover $100 of it since there appeared to be a small scratch already on the complete opposite side! Are you kidding me? What kind of crap insurance do we get as host? If someone totals my car does Turo you give me less than the amount owed because my tire had minimal wear or because my hood had a previous ding.

Michael Brody

September 9th, 2020 Flower Mound, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've been a Turo Host for 18 months, and I keep getting subjected to higher fees and less coverage. "Owner Protection" (basic commission) has increased from 25% (Standard) to 30% and now 35% to keep roughly the same "benefits". NOW, even despite the pandemic, they have added a $250 "deductible" - Hosts have to PAY this out of pocket whenever a Guest damages a car! Beyond absurd!! The only way to escape that charge is to fork over 35% to Turo. They also take a cut of EVERYTHING except tolls - that must be illegal. Guest gets and Extras like unlimited mileage, airport delivery, cleaning, whatever - Turo takes a big chunk. They also reduced other coverages or increased their fees for ALL coverage levels. And they reduced their liability coverage from $1 million to $750K. AND worst of all, they started mandating ridiculous daily mileage allowances AND reduced the per-mile overage charges to mere pennies. A Host could rent out a car at 200 miles/day included - since there's no other limits - and accrue an astonishing 73,000 miles on a car in a single year, without collecting one penny in mileage charges. They are truly pricing many Turo Hosts completely out of the market, and any who survive will suffer worn out cars within just a couple of years, while paying on a loan for 4, 5, or even 6 years. It's like buying $100K in casino chips, then the casino unexpectedly devalues them by 25% or 30%. And you're completely stuck because you have car payments on your whole fleet. Customer service is virtually non-existent, for Guest OR for Host. And heaven help you when you have a claim - after you surrender $250 out-of-pocket toward repair, you'll have to fight and fight if you get a claim approved at all. Then you have to endure an inflexible payment system where you either have to have PayPal or the like, or you'll get your claim payment on a prepaid debit card. Ridiculous.

Ashley Ulibarri

September 3rd, 2020 Herriman, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We love using Turo! The convenience of dropping off and picking up is one of my favorite reasons for using it. I also love the you can look for cars that have a delivery option. My husbands favorite is definitely the selection of cars to choose from. We are always renting Tesla’s when we rent from Turo.

Dre35

September 3rd, 2020 West Valley City, UT

Love this! AirBnb for cars! We used this service on a recent trip, and the car was clean and worked great! owner of the car even got me a drink. Will definitely use this service again!

Korn Smith

August 30th, 2020 San Francisco, CA

Excellent variety and prices. Easy to do checkout. Awesome customer service & host communication

Jaymi Thompson

August 29th, 2020 Portland, OR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I was hung up on, transferred and neglected multiple times by multiple people here at Turo. The worst experience I've had in my life at any customer service. I do not recommend this app if anything I recommend a lawsuit. I got a rock chip in a windshield and the $25 a day "insurance" or "protection" plan did not cover it. They were trying to charge me $500 on top of the $700 I paid for the vehicle $150 I paid for the "insurance" and another $120 I paid personally to the host for the unavoidable act if anything I would give it 0 stars. Never going through this company again. Telling everyone not to either.

Dmitry B

August 28th, 2020 Arlington, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I like Turo. All was smoothly and convenient. But the only thing was dissapointed to me, After my first car booking "Turo support" starting ask me to send them ID photo and credt card photo. For understanding, I already did it right after registration before my first booking. So I almost sure that was SCAM. Be careful! They writes from toro.com domain and it seems very fishily and suspicious.

Alexey Galetskiy

August 27th, 2020 Flushing, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Didnt expect Turo to be this good! Heard about this app from my friend and downloaded it for an upcoming trip! Great prices!! And many vehicles to choose from. Totally recommend!

Pedro gomez

August 27th, 2020 ,

Awesome experience will do it again in near future the people I dealt with were nice and courteous

Sara Ramirez Montes

August 26th, 2020 ,

It was perfect!. Nathan was great!. He answered all my questions right away and made it super easy for me!. I will for sure rent from him again next month when in Minnesota. Make sure to check all the car options he has!. He has all sorts of options!

Brooke Day

August 26th, 2020 Washington, DC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have used them about 5 times. Each time was a smooth transaction. Very convenient!

Kelly

August 26th, 2020 West Bloomfield, MI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

It was my First time using Turo and I was more than pleased with the ease of the process, The friendliness of Ryan, and the cleanliness of the vehicle. It was honestly, a better Experience than other car rentals used in the past. Thank you Ryan!!

Tay

August 25th, 2020 Louisville, KY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Availability of cars where the biggest problem. I had a good experience with the app overall.

Patrick Cotnoir

August 24th, 2020 Lancaster, NY

The app was easy to use. I was happy that I didn't need a credit card. My host Jeff was great!

Fedor Nikolaev

August 21st, 2020 Detroit, MI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I enjoyed my trip. The car was great, and my host was very considering.

Cornell Ford

August 20th, 2020 Aurora, CO

The reservation was very smooth. No issues.

tanesha jackson

August 20th, 2020 Antioch, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My experience was good. I only had one problem with the vehicle the air conditioning didnt work and we went on a family trip with kids and my mom so that part was a bummer

21plustax

August 20th, 2020 Hopewell, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I really like this business model! I've already recommended this app to anyone who will listen.

David Schmitt

August 19th, 2020 Racine, WI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Turo is a great, cheap means of car rental that gives you all the amenities of big car rental services in a much cheaper and more personable manner.

Mallory_B

August 18th, 2020 Bedford, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Easy check in and out, and a nice clean vehicle. My only complaint is that when booking the vehicle months in advance it was supposed to be for pick up/drop off at the airport...I messaged the owner days before to let him know the flight changed by 30 min and he informed me that I made reservations before they changed it to an extra $120 for airport drop off? I think I should have been told about this, the Uber ride there and back was $60...I would have chosen a different vehicle. Oh well, something to look out for next time.