Turo Logo

Key Details

• Airbnb Model for Car Rental
  • Availability in 300+ Airports and 4,500+ Cities
  • Rent a Unique Car from a Local Owner

Summary

Turo, formerly Relay Rides, is a peer-to-peer car sharing company that started in San Francisco, California in 2009. Similar to the Airbnb model, local car owners advertise and rent their vehicles to drivers who would prefer to avoid the standard rental car experience.

The company launched nationally in March of 2012 and is currently available in over 4,500 cities and over 300 airports throughout the United States. Turo is supported by top-tier investors, including August Capital, Google Ventures, Shasta Ventures, Canaan Partners, and Trinity Ventures.

Keep reading for the pros and cons of Turo car rental or skip to the Turo reviews from real customers.

Uber Logo
#1 Uber chevron_right
Lyft Logo
#3 Lyft chevron_right
4.0

The Good

• Variety of Vehicles Available
  • Simple Sharing Process
  • Rental Prices and Fees
  • Insurance Coverage

Variety of Vehicles Available

To cater to individual preferences, the company offers over 800 different car models to choose from. Renters can choose from cars, SUVs, minivans, trucks, convertibles, hybrids, and vans. One can also filter by rental period for long-term rentals, the vehicle make, features like all-wheel drives, and more.

Simple Sharing Process

Turo has an easy, user-friendly, and customizable rental sign-up. In order to sign up for car sharing, create a Turo account by simply signing in to your Facebook or email account.

The first time you sign up for a car, all you have to do is enter some general information, choose a car, rental date, and time. You can either decline additional insurance or purchase the Basic or Premium option, each with varying physical damage and liability protection.

In order to get the car and the keys, all the renter needs to do is meet the Turo host and show them their driver's license. Some owners will even deliver the car right to the renter. Returning the car is simple, as the renter just needs to return the car with a tank full of gas to where it was initially picked up.

Rental Prices and Fees

Turo rents vehicles priced approximately 35 percent lower than other car rental options. The price ranges depending on what car one gets. There is no membership fee and cars generally go for a flat rate of $40 per day.

In addition to rental fees, buyers may be charged fees for additional miles, parking tickets, and cleaning fees. To get the car's trip price, one must multiply the relevant trip rate advertised on the vehicle by the duration. There are also the following fees:

• Trip Fee — 10% of trip price
  • Protection Fee — varies by if one chooses a premium (40% of car's rate), basic (15% of car's rate), or the decline option
  • Young Driver Fee — 20% fee of the trip price for people under age 25
  • Delivery Fee — varies based on owner's settings
  • Airport Fee — 10% fee of trip price if the rented vehicle is involved in the Turo Airport Lot program

It should also be noted that payment information, including debit card and credit card payments, is made through the Turo app or website, not the rental host.

Insurance Coverage

With Turo, there are private and commercial hosts. When it comes to Turo's insurance, owners can either use Turo's policies or decline coverage to be eligible for a commercial, third-party insurance policy.

When owners decline Turo's insurance coverage, they are considered a Commercial Host. As such, they must have their commercial rental insurance policy verified by Turo prior to renting any of their vehicles.

Turo's originally offered three different tiers of protection for owners to choose from. The Premium, Standard, and Basic plans (available before July 1, 2020). All three plans came with $1 million in liability coverage and physical damage protection that covers the value of the car, up to $125,000. From there, the plans differ in host deductible, cost, and other amenities.

As of July 1, 2020 Turo offers five vehicle protection plans: the 60 Plan, 70 Plan, 75 Plan, 80 Plan, and the 85 Plan.

All five plans provide up to $750,000 in third-party liability insurance (offered by Liberty Mutual) and varying levels of contractual reimbursement (reflected in the plan names) from Turo for physical damage and theft. However, bear in mind that the level of available reimbursement will vary depending on the chosen plan.

We recommend consumers thoroughly read Turo's detailed terms and conditions for more information regarding Turo's car insurance.

Guest Protection

Just as you would when you rent a car with other rental car companies, before you complete your booking, you have to choose which protection plan you want for your trip.

If you choose a commercial host, then the host will provide you with options. None of the guest plans cover mechanical or interior damage.

If you already have personal insurance, Turo's coverage will supplement your existing coverage. Policies differ in the amount of liability insurance, deductible payment required, and damage protection. We recommend you refer to the company's website for detailed information on each plan.

The Bad

• Car Retrieval
  • Variable Restrictions
  • Availability Limitations
  • Caring for the Car

Car Retrieval

Since Turo does not operate with clients out of a specific agency, it utilizes car owners that do not use their cars on an everyday basis. Renters must meet the car owner personally in order to pick up the car. Renters may have to go out of their way to retrieve the car if there is not a Turo already at the airport.

Additionally, each renter must show the car owner his or her driver's license, which does have personal information that people may not feel comfortable sharing with a random person.

Variable Restrictions

Since Turo does not own the cars, rules and regulations are inconsistent. Some owners allow renters to drive 200 miles a day, while others allow only 100. Each owner has his or her own set of restrictions, so Turo does not have an overall list of rules for the available cars.

Availability Limitations

Turo does not offer cars in New York. People under 21 years of age cannot rent a car, and people under age 25 have to pay additional fees.

In fact, people under 25 may need to demonstrate at least two years of current U.S. licensed driving history, and potentially can only rent out certain cars because they are considered "high-risk."

Caring for the Car

One thing that is different about the Turo experience is that guests are expected to care for the car as if it were their own. So, if the exterior of the car is significantly dirtier or if it has junk food crumbles inside from a road trip, you have to take it through a car wash and vacuum it out before returning it. If not, you may be charged a cleaning fee between $30 and $250. This is a big difference between standard car rental companies and renting a car with Turo.

The Bottom Line

Travelers who want a cheap or out-of-the-ordinary rental vehicle will be satisfied with Turo's offerings. Users can choose the car model, location, and Turo host.

Finding a unique rental vehicle, on the low or high-end is made easier through Turo's growing community, where owners can use this portal to the sharing economy to make some extra money.

However, keep in mind that service is not available in New York or to potential customers under age 21, and people under age 25 must pay extra fees while renting.

Have you used Turo? Would you recommend it to a friend? Let us know by leaving a review below.

View Best Car Sharing Companies

3.8

Heideh Farahmand Anchorage, AK

Worst decision I’ve ever made was to use Turo! I wish I had never heard of them. My first and only time using Turo I rented an 8 year old car for a week in Alaska. Upon return I got a “smoking charge” of over $250, plus got banned from the app. I have never smoked in my life, and had no passengers in the car at all. According to Turo I cannot appeal this.

1 day ago

Robin Oclassen Tucson, AZ

I was referred to Turo thru a friend. I decided to create an account to book a rental for an upcoming event I had scheduled. I submitted all the required information and received a notice that my account was under review. I was immediately curious as to why since I had checked the requirements before applying and found that I met all the criteria. Two days later- I was still under review so I decided to chat and find out more information, The agent had no information to give me and only forwarded my account to another department. I was told I would get a 2 hour response time. The next day I heard nothing so I once again reached out to chat support. I was told once again that they would send my account for review and I will be contacted. I was interested in finding out why an account would be restricted. No one would tell me. When I looked into the process for being approved it simply said a valid license and 18 years or older, I surely did not expect to be treated so rudely and unprofessionally. Finally, after 5 days I received a response via email saying I was restricted and my account was revoked for *Failed background check- (the website doesn't list that as a requirement. plus my background is over 8 years old and hasn't prevented me from renting vehicles elsewhere, *A high risk flagg from Turo's internal department- (I can't even get an explaination as to what the high risk is or was.) *One or more Driving violations ( I had gotten a meter ticket this years but that was paid in full) I haven't had anything on my driving record for the past 7 years.) *Violation of Turo's terms and conditions (which is completely absurd. My account not only was denied but it was REVOKED and Blocked from ever registering again. I am completely appalled by the process in which they approve their guests and feel that they handled my account completely unprofessional . Customer Service goes a long way and I will be telling others about my experience so that in the future Turo's can re evaluate their approval process. This company has crappy customer service and no respect for it's account members.

Hooked OnTronics Huddleston, VA

Dragana M. is an awful host who left my family and I stranded in Las vegas. We arrived late at night from traveling all day from the East coast. We booked several times before with turo, and always had a great experience. For this trip, we were scheduled for 11 days and about $170 a day for an Audi. We located the vehicle in the parking garage, but we could not get the vehicle opened using the Toro Go app. We reached out to The Host, Dragana M. who never apologized, said I'm sorry, let me see what's going on, etc. Instead, Dragana M. only messaged using the app and said to contact Turo. When we try calling, the number didn't work, and I advise that I was trying to reach out to her, but she replied, she only talks using the messenger app. So here we were, stranded late at night in the Las Vegas parking garage, with no vehicle, and no offer of assistance. My family, including the child were stranded and Dragana M in Las Vegas could care less. I couldn't believe it, I've had great experience with hosts, and we were nervous, given it so late at night, we didn't know how we would get a vehicle to use for our trip. Ultimately, the staff at Turo help this out. They noted how unprofessional Dragana M. was as a host. Obviously there was not much they can do with Dragana M. at that moment. They offered roadside assistance, and sent someone to unlock the vehicle. But that was going to take a while, and so they offered to put us in another vehicle and we found a host late at night who was willing to personally drop off a vehicle. The price was more expensive, but Turo gave us a credit for the difference. Turo is 5 Stars, but they need to suspend Dragana M. for at least a month. Turo is only as good as it's hosts, and Dragana M was horrific to say the least. No doubt about it, if I was the CEO of Turo, and I had that experience, she'd be banned for life. I would never want any customer to go through what we went through. Budget car rental would have been a far better experience. Ultimately, everything worked out, and we had a good trip with a great host. We will continue to use Turo, but this did almost sabotage any future rentals with Turo. Dragana M. Las Vegas is the worst host by far. I don't know if anything could be worse. There are plenty of other great hosts in Las Vegas, and Dragana M it's not one of them. Ultimately the reviews for Dragana M. Are not accurate, because our trip was canceled through her as a host, and therefore we were unable to review her. Dragana M. horrible host and human being. Shameful!

April Ferguson Franklin, TN

Turo is trash and are thieves. I rented a car for one day. I received the car filthy inside and out, I didn’t know I had to take pictures of dirt. I had an incident with the car cosmetically a (scratch). When Turo owner submitted the pictures he tried to show some type of dirt which they are calling ashes and say I smoked in the car. Owner stated that he had to submit thorough pictures of everything just cause. I am not a smoker of any kind might I add and speaking with the owner I asked him to please contact Turo and let them know that I was not the one to do that, he stated he did and that it was out of his hands and left up to Turo. Turo stated I still violated the terms and would not regress the violation instead they will charge me 300. I told them I’m not paying so they deleted my account and want to put it in collections. Never deal with Turo they are cooks and liars and thieves!

Erin Young Daly City, CA

I just bought a used 2015 Honda CRV in Feb and started hosting Turo in April. I got really booked on the first day all the way til September. My price was only $35 a day. I did the 75% protection plan. Everything was going good up until my 7th guest. I got a last minute cancellation in May but I got another booking that same day. I felt kind of weird about it. My guest arrived at the airport and assumed I was going to pick him up there?? He did not see the location was 20 min away from the airport. He finally arrived and took the keys, I just kept having a funny feeling. Sure enough I get a call from him a few days later saying he drove over a rock and hit the oil pan and needed a tow truck. My heart just dropped. My car was towed to my mechanic but the mechanic said he won’t be able to fix it. It looked bad! I reported the claim on the same day. An associate spoke to me and said everything would be taken care of. You don’t have to worry. I just need a diagnostic report from your mechanic. Now it’s 4 weeks later and still NO HELP from Turo. Communication is TERRIBLE!!! I’ve gotten emails and phone calls from my mechanic and he sent us the diagnostic report about a week ago. Turo says they didn’t receive it yet!?!? How come? I’ve sent all the emails to [email protected] But nothing, no respond. Days go by and she still replies, I’m still waiting for a diagnostic report. What is going on?? What is so hard? Check your emails and reply! So frustrating!! Really Bad customer service. I lost my income, and out a vehicle. I had to cancel all my trips for the rest of the year. My car is totaled and I just want to get a new car or the payment for the value of the car. I’m never being a Turo host again.

Jane Buffalo Grove, IL

I had been a happy guest for Turo for several trips, until a recent trip changed my opinion. I had no issues on car damages and always kept the host’s cars clean after use. But we met a host who made a sudden location change and lack of communication issue. After communicating with Turo customer service back and forth through emails, I summarized their host biased policy: 1. If host listed a service that he/she could not provide and did not inform guests before the 2 days before the trip starts, and you checked in the trip, nothing will happen to the host. Turo will just kindly "remind" the host to correct her/his listings for the future. 2. If hosts cancel the trip, they get $25 (more than 24 hours) or $50 (within 24 hours) punishment. If guest cancels the trip within 25 hours before the trip starts, guests pay 0.5 day (<2 days trip) or 1 day’s trip price + half of any delivery fee. For cleaning, disinfecting, airline interruptions, death or hospitalization of family member, natural disaster et al caused issues, you need to call customer service immediately before checking in to get full refund. Toru policy did not say if they will fully refund you if you cancel the booking within 24 hours due to sudden location changes made by the host. 3. Hosts and guests will leave reviews blindly after the trip, but cannot change after reviews are published. Hosts have the privilege to response/comment on guest’s reviews, but you cannot comment back what host said about you as a guest.

I’llrentyacar North Richland Hills, TX

As a host I have a mixed review… these renters who say they get charged $150 for a cleaning fee and all they had was a little dog hair or smoke in the car and lie about it and get charged $250 know the rules. the renter is usually fully aware of the no pets and no smoking policy and usually are told of the policy again when they are checked into the car. We charge because the next person who rents the car might be allergic to dog hair or smoke and will leave a horrible review and so we usually have to have it professionally cleaned which is easily $150… also, we have to take pics before and after the rental to prove that the customers mess is worth the charge. Turo reps make the decision based on pictures so usually the renter really didn’t give a crap and did what they wanted. as far as customer service… it is horrible on both ends. Hosts and guests. You can’t understand the person you are talking to when and if you do get someone on the phone and usually their hands seem to be tied on any help you may need. The coverage for the host is a joke. It’s not insurance, but coverage…. If you get my drift. Their insurance description is so vague that if something happens to the car you are worried sick until it’s resolved.

Konstantinos Demenagas Moires, 91

I used the app last month during my vacation in the US. Rented a car in Las Vegas. Returned it only to find out that the host of the car RAYMOND T. had accused us of smoking in the car, only in order to collect the 285 non smoking policy fee. We are both all life NON SMOKERS and is funny that we were accused of smoking. Two weeks later the host receives another review from another guest with the same problem. Apparently this is a scam and TURO will do nothing about it. I hope everyone reads this and be extra careful, because we got scammed and there is nothing we can do about it.

ANNACLAIREATHOME Isaak Houston, TX

DO NOT USE TURO outside of your own country! With reputable car rental companies normal wear and tear is assumed and overlooked. I got washer was the equivalent of a door ding and the host wants to charge me 588pounds for something that in America would be fixed for the price of a good detail job. The car was also handed over to me filthy. Now the host is harassing me and Turo is not being helpful. NEVER AGAIN!

KatCruise Portland, OR

** Registration and Insurance not in the Vehicle! Police Involved** I rented a Prius last January in Oregon. Three days before returning after three weeks, I was pulled over for expired tags. I opened glove box for proof of registration and insurance per request but the box was empty! Police denied accepting rental insurance purchased WITH rental or my personal. Proof of primary registration or insurance was found on the app. Police cited me SR 22 and no registration. I needed to bring primary registration and insurance to the court. I returned the car early. Host only apologized but never offered proof of ownership or insurance. The host had been great to work with until I was pulled over. I rented in good faith the vehicle was registered and current. *Turo website states multiple times all vehicles must follow state laws regarding licensing. ** I do not understand why the host was not obligated to show proof of current registration. I rented from another host the following week. I expressed my reluctance because of what happened, they showed me " Produce on demand " laminated document in glove box of Camry. Turo Support has not been a good since I was pulled over. I was told car was in my possession and Turo is not liable. Car in my possession never was the issue! This situation would be worse if I had been in an accident! I have waited FIVE months for any resolution. This should have been resolved within a month, max! I was in the middle of moving to Ohio and this has caused a lot of unnecessary stress, lack of sleep, and strain on finances staying in Oregon for legal reasons. I know many people have had positive experiences with Turo. After this experience and excessive time to resolve, I have no intention of renting from Turo again.

Cyrus Edmonton, AB

"""Windshield chipped and cracked""" Terrible management and greedy people operating this business. I have used Turo about 5 or 6 times, but the last time I got bit because something went wrong during the trip, My windshield got chipped and cracked by dirt on the road falling off other vehicles. When i told the host about it, he said no problem last time i changed it for $490. The vehicle I rented was a 2014 Mercedes benz ML, I did not choose any insurance options for the trip as I had my own personal insurance which would cover rentals, and my deductible is $500 for the claim, so i was like its better i just have the host change it for me so i dont have to go through the hassle, but then i was like maybe Turo cover it for me since it's really not my fault, or at least host's insurance would pay for it. So I asked the host to open a claim with Turo and it seemed like the host didn't know much either, so Turo said its the guests responsibility to pay for the damage and told the host to take the car to a shop they work with for a quote on replacement, So I was waiting to see if it will be cheaper at least, and if not I can just have the host change it for me, but surprisingly I received an invoice from turo for $1,400. So i called the host, he said they already changed it and that's the price. So turo paid for the host and just forwarded the bill to me. Now i have to pay $1,400 for a $490 job. and they even restricted my account so i cant book any other cars before i pay full amount. imagine being on a long business travel and you can't book any other cars while you're trying to figure out what happened, and good luck trying to reach customer service to get a proper answer. So after sending numerous emails to Turo to see how i can put this claim on my personal insurance no one replied back to my emails, then I called my own insurance to get some help and they told me to get a subrogation package from them, then after spending hours and hours i finally got a customer service and asked for it, and they said we will send it to your insurance and it will take about 90 days to resolve the issue, so then i asked how can i continue booking cars? she said only way is to pay the full balance and then once your insurance paid us back we will refund the money to you. so i did and then i still was not able to book the car, again spent 30 minutes to get through customer service and they said you need to verify your account and your identity, I was like I'm already your customer and had done many trips! why should i do this, and the agent replied just like a bot "sir I'm just following the rules" and they want government id with your address on it but don't even want your drivers license or bank statement nor your phone bills, imagine being away from home and you have to find a document other than those! super frustrating. so then i had to contact them again after i downloaded my hydro bill and went through all the wait times and sent the picture of the bill but the agent said i cant verify it, you would have to email us the pdf version of it and then wait for the specialized team to review it!!! hahaha wow guys what joke this Turo is. horrible management and greedy owners who want to take as much as they can, they charge the host 30% of the rental after i talked to my host and this is the kind of customer service they provide. The windshield chips should not be the responsibility of the guests, and Turo should cover it for the sake of both parties when they are making that much money with no effort from their side.

Nana Ama Akowuah San Francisco, CA

Terrible experience. Horrible customer service. 3 days after I picked up my rental, I found out I was being tracked with an airtag by the host without my consent. I was living alone in a new place and this scared me. This man had access to all of my information. Where I went, how much time I spent in each location etc. I let turo know and they promised to send a replacement vehicle. After 6 hours on the phone with them they changed their minds, and decided that airtags are now allowed without consent so my reason for replacement was not valid and refused to give me a full refund. Note that California law explicitly states this is illegal. Not only have they compromised my safety but showed no remorse for it. I am still as we speak fighting for a full refund. I would not recommend their service and know that if something goes wrong they will not have your back.

Dave Elgin West Des Moines, IA

I did Turo once. I signed up for a car and got a discount because I did it far in advance of my trip. Somehow, either Turo's fault, my error or the car owner's error the pick up time was put down as 3AM instead of 3PM. The car owner caught the problem and said to go in and change the time - NO PROBLEM! So I changed the time - 12 HOURS LESS TIME - and Turo said that I changed the contract so they charged me $81 for 12 hours of less time. After some hassle, I finally got the right supervisor and he fixed the problem. Everything with the car went great - I would have given a 5 star rating if it wasn't for the $81 charge that had to be corrected.

Jones & Julia Lee Riverside, CA

Worst experience ever. My trip was canceled and requested for a refund. They declined it because they only let the host decide but treat the guest (renter) as second class citizens. The customer service sent threatening email when I filed a dispute to my credit company. I will never used this service again and I advice you not to do to. Turo stands for Total Uncontrolled Rental Oblivion.

Jennifer Stephan MI

8/6/2020 My husband and I were on our motorcycle and were hit by a man driving a TURO rental. We were injured quite badly. TURO did not get this driver, who we found out didn’t have a vehicle or insurance because of a prior accident. TURO only required him to obtain 75k In insurance, which barely covers cost of medical bills, none of lost wages, or treatment I’m still getting 2 years later! I will be suing you soon!

Wil Utsey Crofton, MD

Turo is trash. My first and last experience was terrible as I had an accident within hours of the rental, which left the car undrivable. Unlike traditional rental companies, the first problem is that you don't get a replacement car, so my family trip was canceled. Make sure you read their insurance options carefully. They are much different than traditional car rental companies. I think they are very sketchy. To make it clear, I'm speaking about the issues with the Turo App company and not the hosts that rent the cars. I will never use this service again.

Dorothea Denver, CO

I booked a rental and the address they sent me to was an open field with no buildings. So I call the host and she kept saying um um I did not see the reservation um um I am not sure where the van is. She finally said she was canceling. Which left me with no way to get to work. I was told I would be refunded and I was NOT refunded. Now I have a dispute pending with the bank. I am out the money for the rental and may be fired for not being able to get to work and no one will communicate from Turo. STAY AWAY they are very shaddy and will rip you off.

Sea 2 Sky Yoga Nidra Vancouver, BC

My Turo host was scheduled to pick me up at the airport as indicated in my trip booking. My host related he was unable to pick me up as it was illegal he then referred to me as rude when I directed him to my booking which clearly indicated an airport pick up. The host stated the car would be locked up in a garage over night so if I couldnt get an uber to the car before the garage closed I'd have to pick the car up the next day.Turo was difficult to get a hold of and the agent was unable to resolve the issue. The supervisor who was supposed to call and address the issue never did. I have used turo before and it's great if all goes well but if you encounter a problem there is no support.

Brown, E. McDonough, GA

The Host Nicholas is a fraud and liar who rented me a vehicle that had no bolts or fasteners securing the underbody cover to the vehicle. The underbody cover became dislodged while I was driving which could have caused severe injury to myself and others. Him and TURO are SCAMMERS who charged my charge card almost $900 for damage to the underbody cover after I disputed their false claim. I also paid $10.80 per day for the additional insurance recommended by TURO only to discover that there was a $3000 deductible attached to it; therefore, the cost of the vehicle's underbody cover was not covered. Another RIP OFF!! TURO works with the Host in getting all of the money out of you that they can and take the word of the lying Host. They disregard any and all supporting evidence, photos and documents that you submit to them towards their claim and favors the Host's claim and lies. Renters BEWARE!! Ask for proof of a clean, complete vehicle check up prior to renting. I will never rent a personal vehicle from TURO ever again; nor will I ever recommend them to anyone. Again, RENTERS BEWARE!!!!

Charles Williams Dallas, TX

I had rented a car for my marriage proposal in Austin, Texas. I live in Dallas. My partner has been talking a lot about wanting an electric car. I decided to rent a tesla for the weekend trip for us. 2 hours before the departure of the trip, the host canceled because he needed his car to move. There was an option to rebook but it was 2.5 hours later at the earliest which was going to make us 1.5 hours late for our engagement event. Needless to say, I ended up driving my car, and they gave me $50 credit plus my refund. I was on the phone for an hour plus with customer service. Which is not worth the trouble. This was my first and last opportunity using the app. Just be weary of this if you have no flexibility.

Carlotta Ohara Benito Juarez, ROO

BUYER BEWARE!!!! I rented a 2014 Nissan for two days in May. It appeared to be Reasonably priced, all good. Then I extended the rental thru Turo which was difficult as the App didn’t show my reservation amd the host was unable to do it so after many texts and calls and I was finally able to talk to a human who took care of it. So I had picked up the car at 10 am and was supposed to return it at 2 pm the following day. When I went to extend the rental by one day I was told the only way to do it was to put 7 pm as the return time, which I did. I returned the car at 4 pm. So when I returned my $42 a day rental it suddenly had jumped up to $63 a day after all the added charges. My ongoing correspondence with them was via texts and emails which constantly redirected me to the App which never worked, not only could I not extend on the app but I couldn’t see the details of the exorbitant additional charges and not only that but my trip never even showed up on the App. Hmmm???? So Customer Service, via email, only was my only recourse. They responded slowly, it has now taken three days. Initially the story was that they charged me $188 I instead of $125 because I returned the car late (4pm when I was told by them I had a 7 pm return time) . When I contested the additional charges as a late charge , which it wasn’t. I was finally sent a detailed invoice of the charges that conveniently came to $188. They had completely changed their tune as to why the charges came to that. No longer did they claim I returned it late. Really???? Bottom line I will never ever use Turo again. They are not up front about the actual charges. you do not have the guarantees of a legitimate car rental agency. NO I don’t recommend TURO. Plus you cannot talk to a human person. Not satisfied.

Saahil Lakhani Bucharest, B

I booked a car for 2 days from Dragana in Las Vegas from Turo. The pickup was great and very easy, the car was in great condition and very clean and the drop off was straightforward. My issue happened after the car was returned - I got a bill for over $250 for supposedly smoking in the car. The pictures of the “proof” that were sent were of some sand and dirt in the car - unavoidable from having walked around in some national parks on our trip and not excessive dirt at all. After contacting Turo to try and resolve the situation, explaining that I am a non-smoker and that they pictures were very clearly not ash from cigarettes but some dirt and sand, they removed my account and insisted the decision was final without letting me appeal properly. I will continue to fight this with Turo but I highly recommend you avoid using them if you want to avoid additional costs. I feel like I’ve been scammed and it’s made more disappointing by the fact that without this ridiculous charge, this could’ve been a 5-star review.

Shawn Sydney, NSW

Warning! Turo values hosts over customers and will not reverse erroneous invoices! I rented a Tesla through Turo for pickup at 6:30pm on the 4th of April in Miami. I had just flown in from Sydney on a 27 hour flight. The car was not available when I arrived and I had to wait 15 min. Upon picking up the car, it was charged to 80%. I drove straight to the hotel for some sleep. Over a month after my trip, I received an invoice for the use of a supercharger on the 4th. I explained to Turo that I did not charge the car on the 4th and requested they ask for the trip history from the host, as this would prove I did not visit a charger after picking up the car. They refused to ask for this documentation and instead trusted the host's word. Simple logic would tell you that being invoiced for charging a car that you didn't pick up until 6:45pm doesn't make sense. If I did charge it, then that means the car wasn't charged at pickup, and I shouldn't be responsible. Either way, it's not right. The bigger issue is how they immediately took the hosts word over the customer. They clearly have no desire to protect the customer and I am thankful I'm only out $12. What if the host had submitted an invoice for thousands of dollars? DO NOT TRUST THIS COMPANY!

Natasha Lozada Hollywood, FL

I have used Turo plenty This time it was an awful experience at the very end- decided to take my payment and not give me my extension / and had to speak with 10 agents literally to finally be given the supervisor- this cost my time and money at my work- since I’m self- employed- also anxiety attacks continuously - the customer service agents are not well-informed- and they only Open a dispute and investigate after you yell and scream to tears- horrible experience! Turo even called host and said I was protected under their Turo code of law- that was a huge lie! Some told me they saw payments other said they did not- even the supervisor did not know what he was talking about- if a class lawsuit is started I want in!

Anita Houshidari Toronto, ON

I was a customer of Turo and used their services 3-4 times. I received 5 stars as a customer from the people I rented cars from. Turo provides greater rental options but the customer service agents are pretty clueless and dealing with them is frustrating as they keep giving inconsistent information and making mistakes. However, the reason I'm writing this review is to share my experience about having my account "restricted", ie, not being able to use the service at all, for a totally ridiculous and nonsensical reason. The reason being: there was an unauthorized purchase by a third party fraudster on my credit card and I reported it to the bank. Turo sent me an email saying they've been notified of this transaction and are therefore "restricting my account", aka... booting me out of Turo. I told them that I had reported this to the bank and that it was a third party charge having nothing to do with Turo and that I would update my card with a new one before I use their service again. Nevertheless, my account continued to be restricted. This makes absolutely no sense as a) I have no control over an unauthorized purchase on my account and b) the unauthorized purchase had nothing to do with Turo, Turo's fees, my account, etc. It was a third party purchase of an item from another third party. When I wanted to use their service again recently, I went to log into my account and I couldn't even log in. I followed up with them and they emailed me saying they've "restricted"...ahem, booted me out and "We wish you the best of luck in your endeavors, but this is a final decision on our part." So, there is no due process or opportunity for me to ask any questions. I responded to them saying I don't believe it is good ethical practice, nor does it make good business sense to throw out customers like this for something that is not their fault. Just wanted to share my experience as I believe companies should be held accountable for how they treat customers.

CRU Fort Collins, CO

Turo seemed like a good alternative to rental car companies until you actually book. My first Turo host would only allow pick up at their home. No alternative location or delivery option available. Then 10 days after booking the trip the host cancelled because they sold the car. So, I figure one bad host. The second host offered delivery options and was an All Start Host. So, I booked the trip and then suddenly they weren't around on those days. The issue here is really consistency and professional behavior. Turo Host are individuals. They do not have a common set of rules or practices. The web site is specifically designed to prevent Guests from performing any type of prep work. You have to book the trip prior to contacting the host. Turo processes your payment upon booking. Only airlines do this. Rental car companies do not. They do not disclose booking fees or insurance fees prior to booking. To see the total cost you have to commit to a booking. You cannot review Turo if your trip isn't completed. So, all the issues with actually booking a trip are not shown on site reviews. I thought Turo was a great idea until I actually used it. Now, not so much.

Lisa Shipley Atlanta, GA

I had a dispute with Host who wanted me to pay $166 to vacuum the driver side floor board ONLY. The car was spotless but evidently the host expected me to detail the car before returning. I disputed this with Turo who clearly did not have the long email string I had with another rep. I am a seasoned world traveler and clearly Turos clear customer is the HOST. NOT YOU. Thank GOD for chargeback rights with at least their fees going up from excessive disputes/ chargeback fees being imposed on the company.

Garth S Canton, GA

I am finding the price for one particular vehicle changes every time I open the app. It changes at least three times when starting the booking process. This is very misleading. I find the car I want to book, it shows 66 per day. I tap on it to book, it changes to 78 per day. Then it changes again to $78.50 per day. This practice is very misleading and confusing.

Colleen Kerr GA

If there was a negative star rating that is what I would give. Do not rent from this company. Rented a car and it was keyed on both sides. I reported it to the owner and sent pictures. I am now down 1800 dollars and still 6 months later are still putting charges on my credit card. The concept is great but unfortunately the way they deal with damages should be illegal. You don't need to authorize they will wait a month or two and send you a random email that they are charging your credit card.

Gail BRAUN Bonita Springs, FL

I leased through Turo three times. Unfortunately one lease the car was keyed...most likely at a hotel. The Turo host/owner of vehicle was extremely unprofessional about the minor exterior damage, attempted to rip me off by settling with him first thus charging 4 times the actual repair. Once brought to Turo's attention, Turo did not care, Turo's representatives are as disingenuous and misleading at the vehicle owner. It is a poorly run company and the hosts are not bonified or screened because this particular host was also tracking my every move and texting me to keep the vehicle clean and not allow children in the vehicle. I would not recommend Turo.

John L. Union City, CA

You will not believe that when you have any dispute with them, they don't communicate with you but send your bill to collection company to impair your credit. If you rent from them and everything go smoothly, good for you. Otherwise, I can tell you from my experience that this company does not care about you. They will care about going IPO. They skirt so much regulation that you will have no consumer protection and you can hardly get them. Trust me, it is not worth saving just few bucks to rent from them. Their rental used to be alot cheaper but not anymore. Don't be a fool. If you rent from them, you are helping the executives and big investors to cash out their money only. THEY REALLY DON'T CARE ABOUT CUSTOMERS.

Thomas North Port, FL

Turo cancelled my reservation, marked it that I cancelled it, all to allow a host to charge double to rent the car to someone else. We made a reservation months ahead of time to get a good car at a good rate. We paid for the rental and communicated with the host. Then all of a sudden, when car rental rates rise, the host discovers "errors" in our reservation. Turo marks the reservation as cancelled, by me, then sends me an email telling me if I pay another $400 I can have the same car for the same dates. Our reservation was paid for and made in good faith, Turo should have held the host to the terms of our deal. Instead they fraudulently marked the reservation as renter cancelled, to allow them and the host to make more money. Turo's attempt to help me find a replacement was a comedy of errors. The first host did not respond. The second host asked me to pay him directly a $350 damage waiver, Turo said this was fraud. The third host messaged me before he approved my rental that he wanted to call me to "walk me through the process". Turo also said this was fraud. My rental was to be $450, now, so much closer to my trip, rentals for the same dates and same pick up location are $1200. Beware of scammers and do not trust Turo or the host to honor your reservation, if they can figure out a way to make more money. Unfortunately with regular rental car companies charging astronomical rates, there is not much choice. Just be careful and make back up plans in case your reservation gets cancelled on you.

Meanna King Fayetteville, NC

I have rented with TURO twice and when I tried to rent again for another trip in Florida, the site told me I wasn't able to rent. So I decided to contact support as to why and they told me all they can do is do an appeal. I said okay and I had to wait a couple days for a response trough email. So when I received the email TURO said the decision was final and I wasn't able to rent through them WITHOUT reasoning or explanation. I had NO previous issues from prior rentals or complaints. I want to speak to the CEO and let him or her tell me the reasoning because I'm lost. Also if it was an issue prior why let me rent then come to this conclusion.

Sherrie Winston Atlanta, GA

The hosts are amazing. You find really nice/high end cars compared to rental companies. But, the trip fees are way too high. They say it's 10% of the trip fee, but that's not true. It's usually from 50% to 100% of the rental itself. And, I've taken about 9 trips with Turo.

Geza Verik Westfield, IN

Man who picked us up had clearly been smoking in the car, had terrible BO and had his buttcrack completely exposed when he stood up which meant I had to drive the whole trip on the remnants of that. I didn’t raise a stink, but when I returned the car they charged me $154 cleaning fee because there was some sand on the back mats. He said it took him 2 hours to clean…please ugh. That would have been like me shoveling sand in the back seat and it was literally the remnants of some sand that didn’t come off at the beach. I dropped it off early with a full tank. He left me a 5 star review so the charge was a terrible surprise. Never using Turo again.

Eugene Albuquerque, NM

Horrible. Definately in the category of if it seems too good to be true, it is. Rented a car in Orlando from 'Snardy', Genesis G80. I landed at the airport and he didn't answer my text for a half hour. After my trip he had Turo charge me for a 'smoking violation'. I've never smoked a day in my life, any smoke was there before I had the car or he planted it. Spent hours trying to straighten out this fraudulent charge to no avail. Incredibly, when I complained, Turo banned me. Good riddance. Have never had anything like that happen in 40 years of business travel. Another shady host tried to get me to send her $300 by Zelle for a 'security deposit', completely against Turo rules. If you like renting high end cars, if you're in a bigger city ask the rental car company if they have any, they ususally do and are willing to negotiate on price, without the drama and harrassment I got from Turo.

John Brunnings Honolulu, HI

Turo offers an insurance program when renting out through them which is paid for by keeping a percentage of rental income. They claim their 40% income.share covers wear & tear of the exterior. However they refuse to honor claims of wear & tear without an excessive burden of proof of when the damage occurred. The coverage is to include scratches smaller than 3 inches in length and yet they require photographic evidence of a lack of the scratch before it occurred, which is a nearly impossible record to produce. Essentially they constructed a scam to build confidence in sharing 100s or 1000s of dollars of income that you would not otherwise choose to share if you knew they had no intention of actually providing the wear & tear coverage they're promising!

C Peanut Bakersfield, CA

We rented a car for 5 days in Kauai, Hawaii. It was contactless pick up and drop off. We parked the car at the airport. Everything look good and clean but we made a mistake of not taking pictures. Hours after we dropped off the car, the host sent a message saying that there was a scratch on ‘top of the car’ and it needs to be fixed. So the next day, he sent a message again saying that the body shop estimated $200 to fix it. Then i asked him to send a proof of estimate. The next day he sent an estimate and now the fee became $250+tax. I asked why and he said because the body shop has to type the estimate and now they want to add $50 more. The body shop on the estimate didnt even have a real physical address. It was PO box. This whole thing is so shady. I don’t know how many customers has this host has ‘scammed’ literally. The claim amount is small so he can just go under radar because Turo’s only help is to ask you to settle with the host. I guess this is lesson learned and will not use Turo again.

abeer dabbah Gainesville, VA

Terrible customer service, no one to speak with. I was transferred 5 times everytime I chat with them. It has been two weeks since I tried to list my car on Turo, no email and no one contacted me to explain why my account is restricted.

Joy Smith FL

Worst experience ever!!! The car was dirty, smelly, and all kinds of damage took lots of pictures and I contacted owner and told him it was very hesitant to start of course he said it was my fault thar his 2017 Hyundai Atlanta was un perfect condition it was not! Do not rent a car from Kris or this company. Worse ever!!! Did not deserve one star

Forrest Stavish Black Mountain, NC

The worst customer service ever! I have spent hours trying to get them to issue me a refund which they promised and still have yet to receive anything. I just reported them to the California's Attorney Generals customer complaint.

Lenke Kalmár Indianapolis, IN

Awful costumer service. I’m waiting for my refund for more than a month now, and after the 3rd time calling they still say there is no claim put under my name. They have no idea what they are doing. Never using them ever again!

Autumn Kossuth Turtle Creek, PA

The keys to the van I rented got locked in. The owner didn’t have a spare. I had to pay for for the locksmith AND convinces fees. Customer service would not listen to me and kept telling me “it’s policy” over and over again. I will never use turo again.

Zoe Lansdale, PA

Attempted to Rent* But the deal was way to good to be true because it turned out to be a scammer. Turo offered me 15$ off, but that does nothing to the fees. I did get all of my money back (trip was scheduled for July) but I just did not have a good experience at all. Never have used, nor will I ever be using Turo.

Amber New Port Richey, FL

I had booked a car and realized after I payed almost $700 that I could not drive in the county I needed to drive for work so I cancelled 10 minutes after booking they said they gave me my refund of $174 meanwhile I did not receive and they also couldn't explain why I was only receiving 173 out of 700. They told me I needed to talk to my bank to see why I didn't get my 173 because they refunded it and basically shrugged it off like

Caitlin Clausen Stone Mountain, GA

Horrible experience. I rented from Turo one time and it will be the last! The car smelled like rotting garbage. Turo did absolutely NOTHING to help me with the issue, other than waste my time referring me back and forth to phone numbers and chat boxes and offering zero assistance with the problem. This company is awful stick with a professional car rental company.

Julie Anshasi Lincoln, NE

My trip has not yet begun, but already I am forced to leave a negative review. I rented a car, and the amount charged to my credit card was much higher than the advertised price. No one would correct this, so I canceled the reservation and made a new reservation. Same story. It seems Turo hooks people in by advertising a lower price, then jacks the price up once you enter your credit card information. This company is very dishonest - avoid them.

CSM JR Denver, CO

Worst customer service I have ever experienced aside from Robinhood. They do not listen, do not read the issues at hand, they respond from a general alias and are nearly impossible to reach by phone. Their call line is a joke and will hang up on you at any moment. DO NOT WORK WITH TURO. They take a huge fee and provide almost no assistance. Their timeline for damage reports are too short and they do not look at pre and post pictures of your car.

NO Denton, TX

Tried to rent a car from them however the Website and host post one price but when you try to book it there is a higher price all together. Calling customer service is a JOKE they don't speak English very well and wont let you reach out to the host until AFTER you pay for the rental. Scam on pricing last time we rented from them the vehicle we rented had been wrecked, smoked in and no working AC though we would try them again. HARD PASS

Hannah Arlington, VA

Shady business practices. They rip off customers and the car owner! They trick you into purchasing insurance (which the vehicles already have anyway!) then charge your card for any issues that were not even your fault but had an old car with issues. They are not even paying the dues you pay to Liberty Mutual. I reported them to the California Attorney General’s office until I finally got the refund for an unauthorized and illegitimate charge, since their customer service is the worst aimed to be deceptive and they don’t even respond to complains filed on Better Business Bureau. So I suggest you take your complaints to the California Attorney General’s website to address them!