Lyft

verified
Ride-sharing platform that offers you an economical way to travel

Lyft is a transportation network that facilitates peer-to-peer ride-hailing. Using mobile apps, riders can locate drivers in their area and even request a specific driver. When the company first began in 2012, they stood out by putting bright pink, furry mustaches on the grill of their cars. Today, the large fury mustaches have been replaced with official window emblems.

Rideshare companies like Lyft beat public transit when it comes to personal comfort and convenience. It also beats the traditional taxi industry when it comes to average trip price.

The Lyft coverage area now includes 600 US cities, with at least 2 cities covered in all 50 states. Service is available for use 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Keep reading for pros and cons, plus Lyft reviews from real customers.

View Best Car Sharing Companies

The Good

• Increased Availability
  • Driver Requirements
  • Economical Pricing
  • User-Friendly Platform & Experience
  • Vehicle Options

Increased Availability

All major cities across the United States are covered by Lyft. So, whether you live in one of these areas or you're visiting, you should always be able to find a ride, even late nights.

Lyft has at least some coverage in all 50 states and Washington D.C. Keep in mind that drivers are available in over 600 cities, but mainly urban areas are covered.

Driver Requirements

Lyft strives to provide quality drivers for its rideshare services.

To work with this company, drivers must have a clean driving record and be 21 years old and pass online background and DMV checks. They must have had a US driver's license for one year and provide proof of insurance.

Background checks go back a minimum of seven years. The following will disqualify applicants:

• Violent crime
  • Sexual offense
  • Disqualifying felony
  • Disqualifying drug-related offense
  • Disqualifying theft or property damage

Lyft added a feature to their app that shows general information on drivers, the number of rides they've given, and a rating. The feature is designed to make users feel more comfortable with drivers. Recently, both Lyft and Uber drivers have been legally seeking to be treated as employees rather than independent contractors.

If you want to start driving for Lyft to make extra money, but you don’t own a car, the company offers a program called Express Drive, with access to short or long term rental cars from Hertz, Flexdrive, and Avis. Renting a car from one of these programs can help you start your new job ASAP.

Economical Pricing

There is no question, ride-sharing saves you money. The Lyft price is less expansive than a traditional taxi service. Lyft has a policy of charging a minimum rate of $1.13 for the use of its services.

Your ride rate isn’t the same every hour of the day. There is a base charge, plus an additional cost per mile. If you get picked up during Prime Time, there is an additional surge pricing percentage charged on top of your city’s base ride amount. Prime Time is similar to rush hour. It is added when there is a surge in demand for rides. It is also dependent on your passenger pickup location. On the plus side, Prime Time is a way to entice more drivers to be on the road to pick up passengers during peak hours, when demand is high.

While Lyft does offer a few different subscription plans, most of them are invitation-only, users can now proactively sign up for the All Access plan.

What is the Lyft All Access subscription plan?

• A $299 subscription pass for 30 rides per month, as long as rides cost less than $15
  • If a ride costs more than $15, the rider pays the difference
  • Starting with the 31st ride of the month, members get a 5% discount

In most cities, there is a $10 fee to pay for canceling a ride. Riders aren't required to leave tips, but it is appreciated and can be paid in the mobile app. In most cities, there is a $10 fee to pay for canceling a ride. Riders aren't required to leave tips, but it is appreciated.

User-Friendly Platform & Experience

Lyft is extremely easy to use. Users can download the app on their mobile device and set up a quick profile. When you want a ride, you open the app and it pulls up your exact location. Next, you enter your destination, and it pulls up drivers in your area that you can choose from. Using the app lets you track your driver's ETA and shows you a picture of their car. When your ride is over, you simply tap to pay. The app saves your credit card information for easy payments.

Another reason why we like the Lyft app for passengers is that you can leave a review for your driver. So if you had a wonderful experience with a driver, you can leave them a good review so others will want to work with him or her. Likewise, if you have a driver who was rude or made you feel uncomfortable, you can let others know.

Lyft is available for use 24/7, in an instant. Because you can immediately schedule a ride, the company does not allow you to reserve drivers in advance.

Vehicle Options

Lyft offers a lot of different vehicle options for you to customize your ride experience. Check out this list:

• Lyft: Standard Lyft ride with a 4 passenger max
  • Shared: Get a discount to share your ride and split the cost with people going in the same direction. Shared rides are similar to a carpool. Previously Lyft Line.
  • Lux: Luxury Lyft ride with a 4 passenger max
  • Lux Black: Premium black car service with leather seats for up to 4 riders
  • Lyft XL: SUV for up to 6 riders
  • Lux Black XL: Premium black SUV with leather seats for up to 6 passengers
  • Car Seat: Vehicle fitted with a child’s car seat
  • Wheelchair Accessible: Set your app to enable accessibility needs

In addition to all of these options, Lyft is working to integrate self-driving cars into its service fleet. As the company is adding self-driving rides in phases, they are currently only available for riders in Las Vegas.

Don’t worry. Users don’t have to use this type of ride. If a customer would prefer to try the experience, they can opt-in through the Lyft app or website. Additionally, self-driving cars will have a well-trained pilot and copilot, both human, at this stage in the process.

The Bad

• Hiring Requirements
  • Availability in Rural Areas

Hiring Requirements

The hiring requirements for Lyft seem to be a little loose. Generally, the background check goes back seven years. The company policy may allow hiring drivers who have DUIs or other major traffic violations on their driving record after seven years. The seven-year policy also applies to those convicted of violent crimes and sexual assault. While we understand that people make mistakes, it seems a little lax to let people who have had a DUI drive you around.

Each Lyft driver uses his or her own car for driving clients, which can limit car make/model options. In most cities, the car must be newer than 10 years old. Other cities have more strict regulations.

Availability in Rural Areas

Like most taxi or peer-to-peer transportation network companies, Lyft is only available in a limited area. It's great if you need to go somewhere in a big city, but isn't a viable option for people living in many small cities.

The Bottom Line

If you live or work in the Lyft coverage area and need a one-time pickup or recurring ride, this is an excellent choice. The mobile app is easy to use. We like that the service shows you how many minutes you have to wait for pickup, and allows users to select a driver. This is especially helpful because you can see each driver's rating. As a Lyft passenger, you are in control of who will be driving you, adding a little more peace of mind.

We also love Lyft's low cost. Although cost changes from city to city, on average, a rider will pay less money for your Lyft than you would for a taxi fare.

View Best Car Sharing Companies

3.9

Elisa Vakapuna
May 20th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

Lyft we’ve used at least 2 times and thought it was very convenient! We enjoyed the service

Lori
May 17th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

I have used Lyft three separate times and each of them we for different circumstances. Each time I was very happy with the service and the driver. The prices have been better than I would have imagined.

Craig
May 15th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

Lyft is great! I love the app and the fairs are affordable. I have always had a great experience while getting a ride with Lyft. I love that their cars are immediately noticeable when getting picked up.

Jeremy
May 14th, 2019 Mesa, AZ DETAILS

A good reliable service that helps you feel safe the way it’s set up and gets the job done.

Dean
May 14th, 2019 Ogden, UT DETAILS

I have always had good experiences with Lyft. I feel like the drivers I get are always very nice and willing to go out of their way for me and my family. It makes it nice to be able to go on vacation and know that you don't have to constantly look for taxis to get around. Their app is also very easy to navigate and use.

Jennifer
May 13th, 2019 Ogden, UT DETAILS

I have used Lyft a number of times when another ride sharing service isn't available. I have always been happy with their service. Drivers have been on time and very nice and helpful. The app is very easy to use and reliable.

Reese
May 9th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Lyft offers so much value to the traveler. They are everywhere and I never had a long wait for them to come. They have professional drivers and well maintained vehicles where I felt comfortable and safe every time.

Ashley
May 7th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

My first experience using Lyft was from the airport in Minneapolis, Minnesota. It was a stress free easy way to see which vehicle I needed for my luggage and what kind of car I wanted. Being a first time user I even got a $5 discount for the first 2 times using Lyft. I would highly recommend using this service instead of going through the hassle of renting a car. I am a Lyft fan forever!

Disappointed
May 2nd, 2019 Auburn, CA DETAILS

On April 19 around 3:30 pm I requested my first ride with Lyft, for myself, my two children along with a friend of mine and her two kids. At first everything was going great, our driver, Kevin showed up in a clean Suburban dressed in a suit and tie. At the start of our ride things were very professional. We were leaving Anaheim (near Disneyland) and headed to the Ontario Airport to go home from our vacation. About 35 minutes into our ride, our driver’s phone started ringing several time. After about 5 calls he finally answered it. By his tone, it did not sound like a good conversation. Unfortunately, it was in a language I could not understand, so I’m not sure what was being said, except there was some type of confrontation or disagreement. After he hung up the phone, things changed. He started driving very aggressively, driving into oncoming traffic in a non-passing lane to pass cars, flying through intersections when it was not his turn, running red lights and going way above the speed limit in Las Angeles traffic. By speeding, I’m talking about 80-90 mph. We were terrified to say the least. When we were about 15 minutes away from the airport, he turned around and started taking us in the wrong direction, back where we just came from! We watched this on our maps and could not understand what was happening. When we asked him what he was doing he would not clarify his plan. When we would inform him that we are going away from the airport he just kept saying “I know I’m going this way” or “I’m taking the road” to which I believe he meant side roads? Even then, they were still in the opposite direction. As he kept driving we were getting further and further away from the airport. At this point our map was telling us there was no possible way we were making our flight. It was showing us arriving at the airport at the time our flight was going to depart, which was 6:55pm. When we were at our closest point to the airport, it was about 5:10 (we had sat in sow moving traffic for a good portion of our ride) and we were showing we were less 15 minutes away. Before the driver turned around and started driving in the wrong direction we would have been at the airport with plenty of time to catch our flight. This resulted in us having to stay a another night and book new flights for the following day, as there were no flights we could make that night. We finally demanded to be dropped off at a chick Filet, as we were going farther and farther from our agreed upon location. This was not just convenient, but scary, so unprofessional, and completely uncalled for. All we wanted was for our ride to be completed as scheduled. Not only did he put two women and four children in extremely uncomfortable and unsafe driving conditions, he also put us in a situation to scramble to find a safe and reliable ride to another city and to find a hotel and new flight. I reached out to Lyft and they just said a manager will be in contact with us.... but we STILL have not heard back from them and just keep getting the run around.

Bernardine Salsman
April 17th, 2019 Jordan, MN DETAILS

Terrible security usage of credit cards. My credit card was stolen and some guy used it to buy 3 - $100.00 Lyft cards by just saying he was an acquaintance of mine. The guy by the name of John used my card with my name on it and Lyft issued him the cards. REALLY! ?

Eliza Anne Jones
April 15th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

The Lyft app is easy to use and the service is highly convenient. There has been a time or two that our driver has not shown up which is frustrating, but overall the service is high quality.

ceej269
April 8th, 2019 College Station, TX DETAILS

My issue with Lyft relates to the experience that I had a couple of nights ago. I needed a ride to the store on the corner. It is less than a mile and normally I would walk. But it was raining and I needed some medicine. When the driver picked me up, his stereo was up very loud. I take a seat and immediately saw that his windshield was shattered. This wasn't a crack...it was a spiderweb shatter in the center spanning out over the entire windshield. This worried me that not only was his view obstructed but also that it was dangerous. On top of that, he was texting while driving checking for his next fare I assume (glancing up and down through the cracked windshield while driving in the rain). This short 2 block dangerous ride was still $7. I contacted Lyft who responded they "take reports like this very seriously but do not offer refunds". They might be very slightly cheaper than Uber but at least Uber would have communicated better and offered a refund or credit for the next ride. I used Lyft 3 times this week and this was my only complaint due to safety and they emailed a generic copy/paste response and told me that I should have requested another ride. However I was standing in the rain, was unaware of the windshield/loud music until I sat down, and did not know he would be staring at his phone while driving. Some would say that I should have brought my concerns to the driver's attention. I tried...but the driver did not speak English. He just nodded, smiled, and laughed.

Chad
April 8th, 2019 Madison, SD DETAILS

Driver was friendly. Picked me up on time too. Would more than likely ride with Lyft again.

Joi J
February 26th, 2019 Garland, TX DETAILS

My experience has been pretty good. The drivers have been on time and gotten me to my destination on time. Cleanliness of the cars.

wayne sanders
February 13th, 2019 Valley Center, CA DETAILS

I have only had the need to use a car sharing service such as Lyft once but it feel like it worked out well. I wasn't quite sure what to expect but by sharing it made the cost a bit lower plus it just seemed logical if more than one person is headed in the same direction that they share a ride and it was only a few minutes extra dropping off the other passenger. ill definitely try Lyft again if I need a car sharing service.

Tim Berrett
February 13th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

Used Lyft several times in different cities across the united states. The app is easy to use as a rider and the service was consistent and the drivers were friendly for the most part

Michelle De Oliveira
February 13th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

I have never had a bad experience with Lyft! We use them most often as a family to transfer to and from hotels when we travel. The cars are always clean and the drivers have always been very polite and helpful. They are knowledgable about the area and give tips and hints for our vacation.

Kilee De Oliveira
February 13th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

This is a really great way to get where you need to go if you don't have another mode of transportation. All of the drivers I have had are so respectful and create an enjoyable driving experience.

Jonas De Olveira
February 13th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

I really like Lyft and use them as often as I can when I need a ride. I travel often for work, so I use these services a lot. I just wish that Lyft was in more places. When I travel internationally I am usually limited to Uber.

Anthony
February 13th, 2019 Lindon, UT DETAILS

I was stranded during a snowstorm in Chicago one time. And like a knight in shining armor, my Lyft driver Havier showed up and saved me. I trust Lyft that they will be there and get me to where I need to be on time. They have never let me down.

Abigail De Oliveira
February 13th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

They drivers of all the Lyfts I've gone on are amazing. The drivers have been nice, and safe. They also have been good at knowing when to have conversation and when to let me work. I love that I do not have to do a cash tip.

marlene bennett
February 12th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

Of all the independent ride services we trust Lyft much more than Uber because of their screening and tracking process.

Katie Young
February 12th, 2019 Charlottesville, VA DETAILS

I usually like Lyft more than Uber, but I've been having some pretty bad experiences in my current city. The customer support has usually been fine but the drivers in Charlottesville, VA are not the best and at times down right dishonest.

JR Suguturaga
February 12th, 2019 Orem, UT

Very convenient and comparable pricing to competitors. Easy access to product.

James Larson
February 12th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

In my opinion, the app isn't all that convenient and useful. Lyft works well if their GPS system is functioning. Sometimes they will have me waiting at a location nearby but the driver won't see me in time, which causes problems when you only have 1 minute to connect with each other.

Cristiana
February 12th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

I really prefer Uber. A car selection from Lift is not the best and also I think they do not training the drivers as Uber does.

Brennan
February 12th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

I like Lyft when I don't have other options. Drivers are nice but the app isn't great.

H Moore
February 11th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS

I started using Lyft in 2018 when I went on several business trips. When I was in Minneapolis in December, I was traveling with a group of people. We would both open our Lyft and Uber apps, and check the prices for the same destination. Every time, Lyft was $5-$10 cheaper, so we continued booking Lyft over Uber.

JAKE
February 8th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

I have used Lyft a couple times before and liked it. It was easy to use and the driver was nice and courteous. You never know what you are going to get with random drivers but both times the drivers were good drivers and nice people. I would recommend Lyft to others.

AD
February 6th, 2019 Morristown, NJ DETAILS

I went with a group of friends to a NJ Devils vs NY Rangers game at Prudential Center in Newark, NJ. After the game, we requested a LyftXL. We were told a driver named Rishi (driving a black Toyota Highlander) was 2 minutes away. Over the next 15-20 minutes, however, he did not get any closer, and when we called him (more than once) to try to organize a more convenient pick-up location for him, he continued to say that he couldn't get to us because roads were blocked. However, we were standing at a major intersection of unblocked roads, and moved to various street corners in hopes of making the ride more convenient for him. He continued to argue with us saying he couldn't get to us, so we canceled the ride. We then tried to get another XL from another one of our accounts, and Rishi ended up accepting this ride as well. However, the same issue ensued, and this time he even told us that he was outside at the location we chose although he was not. He, again, argued with us incessantly, using foul language to three of us who each got on the phone trying to help direct him to the location. While this was all happening (over the course of about 45 minutes between the two Lyft attempts), his location on the map was not moving, and we could hear people in the background of his phone laughing. It was clear that he was not trying to get to us. We again had to cancel the ride, and again request an XL, which at this point was surcharged to over $100, a $30-40 increase from the original price. This incident not only cost us an additional $30-40, but also cost us 45 minutes of our time on a week night as we tried to return home for work the next morning, as well as undue stress as we roamed around the streets of Newark in freezing temperatures at 11pm. It is clear that the driver was accepting rides with no intention of picking up passengers, so that he could collect $5 cancellation fees from various customers without leaving his apartment. Since the incident, I have spoken with other Lyft costumers who have had the same experience with other drivers. It is clear that Lyft is not vetting their drivers well (if at all), nor are they holding them accountable. After reaching out to Lyft various times about the incident, no action was taken against the driver, and our money was not refunded. I have never had an issue like this with Lyft's competitors. It goes without saying, I will not use Lyft again.

janalee sanders
February 6th, 2019 Valley Center, CA DETAILS

I only used Lyft one time because it was a subpar experience. the driver was 20 minutes late and had a questionable personality. I didn't feel uncomfortable but he was just bit odd, which is fine. maybe it wouldn't have bugged me so much if the car had been in better condition. I just feel like if your job is to transport people that you should make sure your vehicle is in pretty good condition or at least very clean.

CRISTINA DAVIS
February 6th, 2019 Midvale, UT DETAILS

Lyft is my go-to ride service for nights out. They are always so quick to pick up and always friendly. The coupons they send me are always a welcome bonus as well!

Kent
February 5th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS

I used Lyft for the first time in Atlanta last month. I was traveling with other business people that were using another ride service. I found that Lyft was faster and the more cost effective. Thanks Lyft

Nancy Mackay
February 5th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS

My experience has been awesome! I was getting a ride after a sporting event and the Lyft lot had representatives there to help me with the app and make suggestions so my driver could find me. They even gave me a code for a discount.

Lauren Jorgensen
February 5th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

I love the Lyft concept. It's so user friendly and every driver is so nice. the app is very simple. I live in a big city and so I've never waited more then a few minutes for an available driver.

August Moulton
February 5th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS

Every Lyft experience I have had has been awesome. In many cases it has been cheaper than Uber.

Valarie Heaps
February 4th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS

We used Lyft while we were back east last summer and they were great to work with. Super kind and helpful.

kerry perez
February 4th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

I've used Lyft at times, their competitor uber is also there, same services. I find Lyft cars a little better and nicer that Uber, pricing are also a little better!

Jeff Blackett
February 4th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

Lyft isn't my favorite service but I will however use them if necessary. I feel like they could make changes to their app for ease of use. Didn't have a great experience with their customer service to address one of my issues as well.

Whitney Powell
January 31st, 2019 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

For the longest time i relied on lyft to take me all over because i couldn’t drive and i had no ride. was always saved by someone and had a comfortable ride home.

Jj Lambie
January 30th, 2019 Roseville, CA DETAILS

While on vacation, I received an email from Lyft offering me 50% off my next ride. Being new to this whole ride alternative, I figured I'd give it a try. I have no complaints about my driver. He was awesome! But when requesting my ride, I never received a rate quote. When I mentioned it to my driver, he said to just contact customer service and they would help. Their service is great, he said. It took two days to hear from customer service. After several emails back and forth I got my quote, but there was no discount? Another string of emails, only to find out I had a duplicate account and that the discount didn't apply to the account I used for my ride. Duplicate discount? I'm a new user, so that didn't make any sense to me. And even if that were true, how hard would it be to apply my discount to the proper account? Sorry, they said. We can't help, they said. I call BS. Told them my first ride with Lyft would be my last. I received an email asking if I'd like to discuss this by phone and I agreed to that, but never did receive a call. It's just as well. I won't be back. Five stars for my driver Steve! Zero for Lyft and their pathetic service. See ya!

Shaylee
January 16th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

Lyft is a great application to find quick rides from place to place when you don't have a car. Employees keep their car clean and are prompt with their service. The application is easy to use and share your location with all of the different drivers.

Shayla Hankins
January 16th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS

Lyft is my go to car service, the drivers are friendly and the prices are cheap. I have never had a problem when using Lyft because the drivers always show up and drop off on time with no problems at all.

Sarah
January 16th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

Every time I have used lyft I have felt completely safe from who my driver is and how he/she drives. From my experience my lyft drivers have always arrived on time, as well as delivered me to my destination on time.

Cayla robinson
January 16th, 2019 Sandy, UT

I can’t describe how many times I’ve been stranded in the middle of the night but Lytton is always there to the rescue! It is safe and very reliable! Absolutely love them !

Annie Orr
January 16th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

I've used Lyft multiple times and have had only good experiences. From getting a ride to the airport, to a restaurant or a meeting lyft always worked out great! All of the drivers were very nice and respectful too!

Kymberlee Yack
January 15th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

lyft is one of the best things to ever be invented! i traveled to AZ 2 weekends ago with no way to get around, and lyft made it so convenient! plus it only cost me a couple dollars every ride so it's so affordable! and all my drivers were so nice and very clean cars.

Magaly De Avila
January 9th, 2019 Provo, UT

I've have a lot of great experiences with lyft! They do a very good job of choosing and hiring great drivers. And when there is an issue with anything customer service is also available to help and solve the problem!

Hailey Nilson
January 7th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

Every experience I have with Lyft drivers is amazing. They pick me up on time, they are always super friendly, and the overall quality of the ride is amazing for how the prices are.

Connie Lu
January 2nd, 2019 Minneapolis, MN DETAILS

Fraudulent charges from Lyft appeared on our credit card. We disputed several charges and credit card company returned the money. Unknowingly, I got banned by Lyft. Found out as I was trying to catch a Lyft to the airport, and my payments didn't work. In panic, called their customer service... they do not call/talk and will only email. Will go back to Uber.