Lyft is a transportation network that facilitates peer-to-peer ride-hailing. Using mobile apps, riders can locate drivers in their area and even request a specific driver. When the company first began in 2012, they stood out by putting bright pink, furry mustaches on the grill of their cars. Today, the large fury mustaches have been replaced with official window emblems.

Rideshare companies like Lyft beat public transit when it comes to personal comfort and convenience. It also beats the traditional taxi industry when it comes to average trip price.

The Lyft coverage area now includes 600 US cities, with at least 2 cities covered in all 50 states. Service is available for use 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Keep reading for pros and cons, plus Lyft reviews from real customers.

The Good

• Increased Availability
  • Driver Requirements
  • Economical Pricing
  • User-Friendly Platform & Experience
  • Vehicle Options

Increased Availability

All major cities across the United States are covered by Lyft. So, whether you live in one of these areas or you're visiting, you should always be able to find a ride, even late nights.

Lyft has at least some coverage in all 50 states and Washington D.C. Keep in mind that drivers are available in over 600 cities, but mainly urban areas are covered.

Driver Requirements

Lyft strives to provide quality drivers for its rideshare services.

To work with this company, drivers must have a clean driving record and be 21 years old and pass online background and DMV checks. They must have had a US driver's license for one year and provide proof of insurance.

Background checks go back a minimum of seven years. The following will disqualify applicants:

• Violent crime
  • Sexual offense
  • Disqualifying felony
  • Disqualifying drug-related offense
  • Disqualifying theft or property damage

Lyft added a feature to their app that shows general information on drivers, the number of rides they've given, and a rating. The feature is designed to make users feel more comfortable with drivers. Recently, both Lyft and Uber drivers have been legally seeking to be treated as employees rather than independent contractors.

If you want to start driving for Lyft to make extra money, but you don’t own a car, the company offers a program called Express Drive, with access to short or long term rental cars from Hertz, Flexdrive, and Avis. Renting a car from one of these programs can help you start your new job ASAP.

Economical Pricing

There is no question, ride-sharing saves you money. The Lyft price is less expansive than a traditional taxi service. Lyft has a policy of charging a minimum rate of $1.13 for the use of its services.

Your ride rate isn’t the same every hour of the day. There is a base charge, plus an additional cost per mile. If you get picked up during Prime Time, there is an additional surge pricing percentage charged on top of your city’s base ride amount. Prime Time is similar to rush hour. It is added when there is a surge in demand for rides. It is also dependent on your passenger pickup location. On the plus side, Prime Time is a way to entice more drivers to be on the road to pick up passengers during peak hours, when demand is high.

While Lyft does offer a few different subscription plans, most of them are invitation-only, users can now proactively sign up for the All Access plan.

What is the Lyft All Access subscription plan?

• A $299 subscription pass for 30 rides per month, as long as rides cost less than $15
  • If a ride costs more than $15, the rider pays the difference
  • Starting with the 31st ride of the month, members get a 5% discount

In most cities, there is a $10 fee to pay for canceling a ride. Riders aren't required to leave tips, but it is appreciated and can be paid in the mobile app. In most cities, there is a $10 fee to pay for canceling a ride. Riders aren't required to leave tips, but it is appreciated.

User-Friendly Platform & Experience

Lyft is extremely easy to use. Users can download the app on their mobile device and set up a quick profile. When you want a ride, you open the app and it pulls up your exact location. Next, you enter your destination, and it pulls up drivers in your area that you can choose from. Using the app lets you track your driver's ETA and shows you a picture of their car. When your ride is over, you simply tap to pay. The app saves your credit card information for easy payments.

Another reason why we like the Lyft app for passengers is that you can leave a review for your driver. So if you had a wonderful experience with a driver, you can leave them a good review so others will want to work with him or her. Likewise, if you have a driver who was rude or made you feel uncomfortable, you can let others know.

Lyft is available for use 24/7, in an instant. Because you can immediately schedule a ride, the company does not allow you to reserve drivers in advance.

Vehicle Options

Lyft offers a lot of different vehicle options for you to customize your ride experience. Check out this list:

• Lyft: Standard Lyft ride with a 4 passenger max
  • Shared: Get a discount to share your ride and split the cost with people going in the same direction. Shared rides are similar to a carpool. Previously Lyft Line.
  • Lux: Luxury Lyft ride with a 4 passenger max
  • Lux Black: Premium black car service with leather seats for up to 4 riders
  • Lyft XL: SUV for up to 6 riders
  • Lux Black XL: Premium black SUV with leather seats for up to 6 passengers
  • Car Seat: Vehicle fitted with a child’s car seat
  • Wheelchair Accessible: Set your app to enable accessibility needs

In addition to all of these options, Lyft is working to integrate self-driving cars into its service fleet. As the company is adding self-driving rides in phases, they are currently only available for riders in Las Vegas.

Don’t worry. Users don’t have to use this type of ride. If a customer would prefer to try the experience, they can opt-in through the Lyft app or website. Additionally, self-driving cars will have a well-trained pilot and copilot, both human, at this stage in the process.

The Bad

• Hiring Requirements
  • Availability in Rural Areas

Hiring Requirements

The hiring requirements for Lyft seem to be a little loose. Generally, the background check goes back seven years. The company policy may allow hiring drivers who have DUIs or other major traffic violations on their driving record after seven years. The seven-year policy also applies to those convicted of violent crimes and sexual assault. While we understand that people make mistakes, it seems a little lax to let people who have had a DUI drive you around.

Each Lyft driver uses his or her own car for driving clients, which can limit car make/model options. In most cities, the car must be newer than 10 years old. Other cities have more strict regulations.

Availability in Rural Areas

Like most taxi or peer-to-peer transportation network companies, Lyft is only available in a limited area. It's great if you need to go somewhere in a big city, but isn't a viable option for people living in many small cities.

The Bottom Line

If you live or work in the Lyft coverage area and need a one-time pickup or recurring ride, this is an excellent choice. The mobile app is easy to use. We like that the service shows you how many minutes you have to wait for pickup, and allows users to select a driver. This is especially helpful because you can see each driver's rating. As a Lyft passenger, you are in control of who will be driving you, adding a little more peace of mind.

We also love Lyft's low cost. Although cost changes from city to city, on average, a rider will pay less money for your Lyft than you would for a taxi fare.

View Best Car Sharing Companies

4.1

CoasterRider

February 20th, 2021 Show Low, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Everytime we've used the Lyft service they have been timely and showed up in clean and comfortable cars with adequate space for our people and luggage.

Nia

January 31st, 2021 Beachwood, OH

I use to be a driver for lyft. I have a lot of issues with the app. They kept deactivating my account even tho I submitted all the proper documents and met all the requirements. I sent my pictures of my license and a selfie and they would not activate my account. I am a black young woman and have been discriminated against. Lyft is racist!! and I have friends who this has also happened too. I am very disappointed in the entire lyft staff. especially matt in support. God will take care of Lyft :-)

Steve Ashby

January 21st, 2021 Portland, OR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Only had great experiences with Lyft and I've been using them a lot more lately. Especially when I have to pay out of my own pocket. Drivers seem happier with the company than other rideshare companies.

Ted

November 18th, 2020 Rock Island, IL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I use Lyft whenever I am in a big city. It is convenient and the app is super easy to use. Every ride has been good. The drivers have always been friendly.

kaylie mahar

November 17th, 2020 Springdale, AR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

All of the Lyft drivers that have driven me have been very kind and friendly. I have never felt uncomfortable when in a car or felt like I was in danger.

Moonstone Vibes

October 29th, 2020 Minneapolis, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

If I could give them zero stars I would. This company is a joke! Three times in one month I have had rude, inconsiderate and lazy drivers. This company should train their drivers in customer service. They just basically let anyone drive for them. I have had route issues and pick up location issues in this month alone. I deleted my account it’s not worth the hassle or putting up with their drivers. And I’m sure the good reviews on here are from people who work for this company

Cristine Gonzales

October 29th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Love lyft. Cheaper than uber. COVID has made wait times a lot longer though so sometimes you gotta go with uber

Ann Choi

October 22nd, 2020 New York, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have been using Lyft for about 5 years now in New York City and San Francisco. I cannot recall any issues with the driver, car, or the driver's driving skills. Never had any unsafe encounters either (I am female in her 30's).

Dawnnisa Tubaugh

October 14th, 2020 Austin, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

On October 10, 2020 my foot was ran over by a Lyft driver as I was loading my children into the car. I had contacted the Lyft company immediately and took pictures for their records. The first person I spoke with said they would send me a medical form through email to provide to the hospital if I chose to go. I never received this email. Three days later (which is funny since they conveniently waited until my Lyft Pink subscription was auto-renewed and paid) I received an email from Lyft stating that I would not be refunded for that ride or given any other ride credits as compensation for the incident. Lyft made it very clear, in fact, that they would do nothing to make it right. The only form of reassurance I was given was that they had “appropriately dealt” with the driver – whatever that means. Long story short, one of their drivers caused personal injury and endangered my children yet I was still expected to pay for that ride (meaning the driver still got paid) while Lyft made zero effort in customer service to right the wrongs caused by someone contracted through their service. Because of not being able to afford the medical bills, I avoided a trip to the hospital by spending the next 48hrs with my foot elevated, wrapped, and iced. Thankfully enough, the swelling went down but the area is still bruised with a possible metatarsal fracture. I am glad I didn’t go because it has been made apparent that there is a good chance I wouldn’t have been reimbursed at all. With no medical document provided as promised, and the canned email stating policy and terms in lieu of basic customer service, it seems as though the only way this situation would be made right is through a lawsuit. After reading multiple reviews, it seems like the issue of rider safety is a common occurrence – all with similar results of Lyft still paying the driver in question and providing the injured rider with little to no compensation or peace of mind. I don’t know about you, but I definitely can not condone supporting a company that continues to capitalize while putting their loyal customer’s safety at risk. For the record - I was an Uber Diamond user subscribed to Uber Pass for years. I never had a safety issue like this with Uber, but whenever ANYTHING went wrong I could contact Uber's customer service and they would immediately refund me for the ride and do whatever they could to make it right. I only switched to Lyft for the price (the base Lyft price was cheaper than the discounted Uber price. With Lyft Pink, the service was even cheaper). After this situation, though, I would rather pay the few dollars more to ensure my peace of mind when it comes to my family's safety.

AF

September 15th, 2020 , DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've been happy with my experiences with Lyft. The cars have been clean and the drivers have been nice. I also think the app is easy to use and helpful. The only reason I like Uber more is that it feels like the Lyft drivers push you to tip. Whether I tip or don't tip... I just don't want to feel pressured to do it.

Dave_

September 14th, 2020 Layton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Service has been reliable. I’ve always been able to find my ride quickly with ease and have been taken to my destination quickly and safely.

Dayna

September 12th, 2020 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Lyft has been a good company. I trust my wife and kids to use them on my account when I cannot be with them.

Kevin Liu

September 4th, 2020 Sandy, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love using the Lyft app when I need to travel and plan a ride the night before so it gets there the next day without having to wait

Tiauna Anderson

September 3rd, 2020 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Lyft has always been easy to navigate on the app and the drivers have been helpful and quick. I recommend!

Dre35

September 3rd, 2020 West Valley City, UT

Decent service. Car options aren't as nice as their competitor, but great cheaper option for driving service.

Robert

August 24th, 2020 Houston, TX

Lyft just deactivated my account this morning, as a driver for safety reason due to a passenger lien about my service as a driver. They always agree with the customers and never want to hear what the drivers have to say. I have NEVER been rude to a passenger and my car is always Clean. I don’t drink or do drugs and I also have a 5 star rating. They yet have told me the reason for my account deactivation. They told me they have made the decision final. I used lyft as a part time income. I’ve been with the company for almost 4 years and this is how they treat they drivers.

Alexander Johnson

July 16th, 2020 Burbank, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Way too expensive. Nothing different than Uber. Lyfts are hard to come by and never are in my area without a 20 minute wait

R

May 24th, 2020 Long Island City, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Living in the city, I dont have a car. So I use Uber a lot. It's only a couple of dollars each trip more than Lyft. The difference can be neglected that it can save me so much headache later! I was so much disgusted last few times experience by Lyft customer service not taking any responsibility on any issues when happened. I have given Lyft multiple tries. It really sucks. All they care is grab my trip money and run! On the contrary: Uber customer service is very responsive, fast and always taking care of customers for a good experience! Once I lost/forgot my leather gloves on the car. After the trip at home I messaged Lyft customer service for help. They are cold and not helpful. Not taking any responsibilities.  Second time, me and my friend called a shared Lyft from JFK to Manhattan. I live midtown and she lives up east so it's on the way. However, Lyft matched us with a guy living in Jersey city and to drop him off all the way in NJ first! Oh My...It obviously is a bad route that we wasted so much extra time in the car! Third time, It is the worst experience. I decided I had enough. I will forever ban this company from my life! I am really angry after hours long 4, 5 times transferred to different reps repeating myself the incident and multiple emails later. Both reps replied after 24 hours are only a copied terms and conditions the company takes zero responsibility or insurance for the users (including driver and passenger). Imagine if I was in bigger danger or damages. I can not risk it. The incident was I have a shoulder injury, the driver damaged my large box of grocery. He carelessly dropped it to the floor. My trip was extended double time due to the incident. The grocery are spoiled due to the delay. My back was also hurt because the driver unwilling offering a hand. Neither the driver or the company offered any good gesture or even an apology

Sudakshina Bhatta

April 9th, 2020 Denver, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The drivers always show up at the scheduled time. The cars are clean, which is a plus point for me. I have felt safe being able to commute on a daily basis using lyft.

Sharon Battula

April 8th, 2020 Aurora, CO

This service is very reliable - the driver came promptly and the ride was relatively enjoyable

Matthew Wadley

April 7th, 2020 San Diego, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love using Lyft when going out for dinner or drinks with my wife. Super easy to use and drivers are normally just 5 minutes away. For the most part, every driver is friendly and knows where they are going. Although the cost for a normal ride continues to go up we will still use them to go back and forth to our favorite restaurant and bars. I love getting reduced rates in my email from them and special promo's to keep using them. I recommend Lyft to all of my friends

MattB

April 4th, 2020 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I recently used Lyft to get to the airport and their app makes setting up transport quick and easy. My driver was friendly and it was convenient.

Bryan Jensen

April 1st, 2020 South Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Driver was pleasant, car was clean, got us where we wanted to go safely and cheaper than a cab

Myken

March 22nd, 2020 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I used Lyft to get me to the airport a few months ago and it was easy to book, convenient and an overall good experience. I would use Lyft again if I needed to.

Barbara Matthews

March 17th, 2020 West Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love Lyft. It makes my business trips so much easier. So convenient ... I love that I can pay through the app.

Haley Nemmers

March 16th, 2020 Boulder, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Lyft is a great service and sometimes is cheaper than uber. It's super convenient to have access to this service to get around a new city

Mia miga7440

March 16th, 2020 Littleton, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Lyft is a very reliable company for rides. I’ve always had very polite drivers who always made my ride enjoyable. They’re very safe and I would definitely use them over uber.

Gina

March 15th, 2020 Miami, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I prefer lyft over Uber because they do background checks on employees. Usually better rates too.

Rathan Kumar

March 12th, 2020 Trabuco Canyon, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Lyft has been one of my goto's for getting around the city. Their drivers have always been courteous and efficient.

Amalia AMLU5848

March 11th, 2020 Boulder, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have only had positive experiences with Lyft drivers, but the availability of drivers compared to Uber is low. However, the price of a Lyft is always cheaper than an Uber and most drivers are willing to drive great distances (more than 8 miles) if you request it.

Austin Stelmach

March 11th, 2020 Boulder, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've never really understood the difference between Uber and Lyft, so I usually use both services. I will say, I love the little mustaches that drivers have in their window with lyft. I've always had good experiences with Lyft. It seems to be less busy than Uber as well.

Jeremy Webb

March 11th, 2020 Covington, LA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Lyft is the worst option for transportation. Dirty cars, rude drivers and long wait times. Prices are reasonable but you get what you pay for. Will not be a returning customer.

Kinord C

March 11th, 2020 Westville, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Lyft is the cheaper ride share option a majority of the time and drivers are usually nice and get me to my destination on time

Corey Smith

March 10th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I used this service a lot during my first two years of college. They were sometimes more reliable and more affordable than Uber

Keron Grey

March 10th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love this app for transportation, I use it almost every day to get to class, but sometimes if the ride is too early in the morning, it will take longer for your driver to get to you, other than that, it was fine.

Jasmin Ortega

March 9th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have always liked Lyft more than uber because i find it to be more affordable and trustworthy. The drivers are nice and the wait time usually isnt too long.

Chaveli

March 9th, 2020 Lakeland, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Always great prices, service is great and very friendly people who give the rides.

Karen Torino

March 9th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I like Lyft because of the carpooling option which makes rides cheaper and also because they have cheaper prices overall. It’s a great way to get around. However, I feel like the company is not as involved in their drivers.

Morgan Elijah

March 9th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Lyft is hands down the most inexpensive ride sharing app. When I was in Orlando and had car troubles my Lyft driver informed me of all things to do in Orlando and how to get the best bang for your buck. He made great conversation and drove very safely I would really recommend Lyft!

Nicole Jones

March 9th, 2020 Sandy, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

While some experiences are better than others, I've never had a bad experience with Lyft. I actually prefer car sharing over renting a car when I travel, and utilize Lyft whenever it's available. It's a thrifty way to get to where I need, and for a fair price.

Pekeiydra Williams

March 9th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Lyft is very reliable and safe! I appreciate the precaution they take to ensure the safety of their passengers.

Phabie

March 9th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They typically offer great pricing even in surges! Ive been riding with them for over 4 years now and they have good customer service when I have a ride issue.

Lizzy Puentes

March 8th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have never had any problems with Lyft, the company or its drivers. The app is very simple to use and the wait to get a ride is never longer than 10 minutes. I love how convenient the app is because there are drivers 24/7 so you can get a ride at any time without a problem. The drivers are always nice and don't drive hectic or anything.

Katlyn Hockman

March 8th, 2020 Houston, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They arent as reliable as uber but they have nice drivers and have great prices for their service. Always better than a taxi.

Seth Boudoin

March 8th, 2020 Long Beach, MS

Took a while for drivers to show up and sometimes they cancel and I have to start the process all over again.

Nora Holland

March 8th, 2020 Long Beach, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I rode Lyft a few weeks ago when I went out of town. They got me where I needed to be in a timely manner!

keiontai henry

March 8th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Very convenient and safe! It takes me less than 10 minutes to find a ride and get going to my destination.

Toni Hasson

March 7th, 2020 Salem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have used this service for my daughter and myself, always prompt and the app is great when I’m tracking where my daughter is going!

Janie Dennis

March 7th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Lyft is such a great alternative to Uber and the taxi companies. If you cannot find an uber driver right away, you can always call a lyft driver and vice versa. Sometimes better rates than Uber and safe drivers!

Cole Bailey

March 7th, 2020 Houston, TX

I used Lyft when I could not get coverage for an Uber. They’re really similar, my ride was enjoyable it was just quiet and a bit awkward.