Lyft Logo

Lyft

5.1

Lyft is a transportation network that facilitates peer-to-peer ride-hailing. Using mobile apps, riders can locate drivers in their area and even request a specific driver. When the company first began in 2012, they stood out by putting bright pink, furry mustaches on the grill of their cars. Today, the large fury mustaches have been replaced with official window emblems.

Rideshare companies like Lyft beat public transit when it comes to personal comfort and convenience. It also beats the traditional taxi industry when it comes to average trip price.

The Lyft coverage area now includes 600 US cities, with at least 2 cities covered in all 50 states. Service is available for use 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Keep reading for pros and cons, plus Lyft reviews from real customers.

The Good

• Increased Availability
  • Driver Requirements
  • Economical Pricing
  • User-Friendly Platform & Experience
  • Vehicle Options

Increased Availability

All major cities across the United States are covered by Lyft. So, whether you live in one of these areas or you're visiting, you should always be able to find a ride, even late nights.

Lyft has at least some coverage in all 50 states and Washington D.C. Keep in mind that drivers are available in over 600 cities, but mainly urban areas are covered.

Driver Requirements

Lyft strives to provide quality drivers for its rideshare services.

To work with this company, drivers must have a clean driving record and be 21 years old and pass online background and DMV checks. They must have had a US driver's license for one year and provide proof of insurance.

Background checks go back a minimum of seven years. The following will disqualify applicants:

• Violent crime
  • Sexual offense
  • Disqualifying felony
  • Disqualifying drug-related offense
  • Disqualifying theft or property damage

Lyft added a feature to their app that shows general information on drivers, the number of rides they've given, and a rating. The feature is designed to make users feel more comfortable with drivers. Recently, both Lyft and Uber drivers have been legally seeking to be treated as employees rather than independent contractors.

If you want to start driving for Lyft to make extra money, but you don’t own a car, the company offers a program called Express Drive, with access to short or long term rental cars from Hertz, Flexdrive, and Avis. Renting a car from one of these programs can help you start your new job ASAP.

Economical Pricing

There is no question, ride-sharing saves you money. The Lyft price is less expansive than a traditional taxi service. Lyft has a policy of charging a minimum rate of $1.13 for the use of its services.

Your ride rate isn’t the same every hour of the day. There is a base charge, plus an additional cost per mile. If you get picked up during Prime Time, there is an additional surge pricing percentage charged on top of your city’s base ride amount. Prime Time is similar to rush hour. It is added when there is a surge in demand for rides. It is also dependent on your passenger pickup location. On the plus side, Prime Time is a way to entice more drivers to be on the road to pick up passengers during peak hours, when demand is high.

While Lyft does offer a few different subscription plans, most of them are invitation-only, users can now proactively sign up for the All Access plan.

What is the Lyft All Access subscription plan?

• A $299 subscription pass for 30 rides per month, as long as rides cost less than $15
  • If a ride costs more than $15, the rider pays the difference
  • Starting with the 31st ride of the month, members get a 5% discount

In most cities, there is a $10 fee to pay for canceling a ride. Riders aren't required to leave tips, but it is appreciated and can be paid in the mobile app. In most cities, there is a $10 fee to pay for canceling a ride. Riders aren't required to leave tips, but it is appreciated.

User-Friendly Platform & Experience

Lyft is extremely easy to use. Users can download the app on their mobile device and set up a quick profile. When you want a ride, you open the app and it pulls up your exact location. Next, you enter your destination, and it pulls up drivers in your area that you can choose from. Using the app lets you track your driver's ETA and shows you a picture of their car. When your ride is over, you simply tap to pay. The app saves your credit card information for easy payments.

Another reason why we like the Lyft app for passengers is that you can leave a review for your driver. So if you had a wonderful experience with a driver, you can leave them a good review so others will want to work with him or her. Likewise, if you have a driver who was rude or made you feel uncomfortable, you can let others know.

Lyft is available for use 24/7, in an instant. Because you can immediately schedule a ride, the company does not allow you to reserve drivers in advance.

Vehicle Options

Lyft offers a lot of different vehicle options for you to customize your ride experience. Check out this list:

• Lyft: Standard Lyft ride with a 4 passenger max
  • Shared: Get a discount to share your ride and split the cost with people going in the same direction. Shared rides are similar to a carpool. Previously Lyft Line.
  • Lux: Luxury Lyft ride with a 4 passenger max
  • Lux Black: Premium black car service with leather seats for up to 4 riders
  • Lyft XL: SUV for up to 6 riders
  • Lux Black XL: Premium black SUV with leather seats for up to 6 passengers
  • Car Seat: Vehicle fitted with a child’s car seat
  • Wheelchair Accessible: Set your app to enable accessibility needs

In addition to all of these options, Lyft is working to integrate self-driving cars into its service fleet. As the company is adding self-driving rides in phases, they are currently only available for riders in Las Vegas.

Don’t worry. Users don’t have to use this type of ride. If a customer would prefer to try the experience, they can opt-in through the Lyft app or website. Additionally, self-driving cars will have a well-trained pilot and copilot, both human, at this stage in the process.

The Bad

• Hiring Requirements
  • Availability in Rural Areas

Hiring Requirements

The hiring requirements for Lyft seem to be a little loose. Generally, the background check goes back seven years. The company policy may allow hiring drivers who have DUIs or other major traffic violations on their driving record after seven years. The seven-year policy also applies to those convicted of violent crimes and sexual assault. While we understand that people make mistakes, it seems a little lax to let people who have had a DUI drive you around.

Each Lyft driver uses his or her own car for driving clients, which can limit car make/model options. In most cities, the car must be newer than 10 years old. Other cities have more strict regulations.

Availability in Rural Areas

Like most taxi or peer-to-peer transportation network companies, Lyft is only available in a limited area. It's great if you need to go somewhere in a big city, but isn't a viable option for people living in many small cities.

The Bottom Line

If you live or work in the Lyft coverage area and need a one-time pickup or recurring ride, this is an excellent choice. The mobile app is easy to use. We like that the service shows you how many minutes you have to wait for pickup, and allows users to select a driver. This is especially helpful because you can see each driver's rating. As a Lyft passenger, you are in control of who will be driving you, adding a little more peace of mind.

We also love Lyft's low cost. Although cost changes from city to city, on average, a rider will pay less money for your Lyft than you would for a taxi fare.

View Best Car Sharing Companies

4.1

Rhonda Homan Fort Worth, TX

I used Lyft for the first and last time today. It was suppose to be a round trip, instead I got left at my 1st stop the bank. I then had to wait for another ride for about 30 minutes. I told that driver when I got in that I needed to make 2 quick stops before returning home. She said she couldn't do that and I should have entered the stops when I requested the ride. Well all I saw was pick up and destination, nowhere to enter multiple stops. I requested to be let out at my 2nd stop and ended up walking the rest of the way home. I'm close to 50 and I can't believe that you have drivers leaving a paying customer with no care or concern for there well being. Never again will I use your service.

jscharm7 Cherry Hill, NJ

Lyft has some of the cleanest cars and nicest drivers. Lyft is also much cheaper than other transportation options. I have never had a bad ride with Lyft since they always help me find a ride so quickly.

CoasterRider Show Low, AZ

Everytime we've used the Lyft service they have been timely and showed up in clean and comfortable cars with adequate space for our people and luggage.

Steve Ashby Portland, OR

Only had great experiences with Lyft and I've been using them a lot more lately. Especially when I have to pay out of my own pocket. Drivers seem happier with the company than other rideshare companies.

Ann Choi New York, NY

I have been using Lyft for about 5 years now in New York City and San Francisco. I cannot recall any issues with the driver, car, or the driver's driving skills. Never had any unsafe encounters either (I am female in her 30's).

Nia Beachwood, OH

I use to be a driver for lyft. I have a lot of issues with the app. They kept deactivating my account even tho I submitted all the proper documents and met all the requirements. I sent my pictures of my license and a selfie and they would not activate my account. I am a black young woman and have been discriminated against. Lyft is racist!! and I have friends who this has also happened too. I am very disappointed in the entire lyft staff. especially matt in support. God will take care of Lyft :-)

Ted Rock Island, IL

I use Lyft whenever I am in a big city. It is convenient and the app is super easy to use. Every ride has been good. The drivers have always been friendly.

AF ,

I've been happy with my experiences with Lyft. The cars have been clean and the drivers have been nice. I also think the app is easy to use and helpful. The only reason I like Uber more is that it feels like the Lyft drivers push you to tip. Whether I tip or don't tip... I just don't want to feel pressured to do it.

G. Goodrich

I love Lyft. The drivers have been great and very attentive to my comfort and safety. On a rare occasion where I was not picked up by a driver, Lyft made it right with a very generous credit to my account immediately and an apology. I had an over-billing issue with a competing ride-share company and it took several days of frustration and emails to finally get the issue resolved. Lyft is always my first choice.

Derrian Tallahassee, FL

I have always felt safe with Lyft and this is the only ride sharing comapny I use. I recently went on a trip to Las Vegas and the drivers were very polite and very organized when they were trying to pick us up from the resort we were staying at. Lyft takes alot of precaution with their drivers and looks into the background of them so the passengers are able to feel as comfortable as possible. With all of the recent events in the world, I wouldn't recommend any other company but Lyft! They also have promo codes frequently for new riders, and on holidays, which is great for riders to save a little money.

kaylie mahar Springdale, AR

All of the Lyft drivers that have driven me have been very kind and friendly. I have never felt uncomfortable when in a car or felt like I was in danger.

Dawnnisa Tubaugh Austin, TX

On October 10, 2020 my foot was ran over by a Lyft driver as I was loading my children into the car. I had contacted the Lyft company immediately and took pictures for their records. The first person I spoke with said they would send me a medical form through email to provide to the hospital if I chose to go. I never received this email. Three days later (which is funny since they conveniently waited until my Lyft Pink subscription was auto-renewed and paid) I received an email from Lyft stating that I would not be refunded for that ride or given any other ride credits as compensation for the incident. Lyft made it very clear, in fact, that they would do nothing to make it right. The only form of reassurance I was given was that they had “appropriately dealt” with the driver – whatever that means. Long story short, one of their drivers caused personal injury and endangered my children yet I was still expected to pay for that ride (meaning the driver still got paid) while Lyft made zero effort in customer service to right the wrongs caused by someone contracted through their service. Because of not being able to afford the medical bills, I avoided a trip to the hospital by spending the next 48hrs with my foot elevated, wrapped, and iced. Thankfully enough, the swelling went down but the area is still bruised with a possible metatarsal fracture. I am glad I didn’t go because it has been made apparent that there is a good chance I wouldn’t have been reimbursed at all. With no medical document provided as promised, and the canned email stating policy and terms in lieu of basic customer service, it seems as though the only way this situation would be made right is through a lawsuit. After reading multiple reviews, it seems like the issue of rider safety is a common occurrence – all with similar results of Lyft still paying the driver in question and providing the injured rider with little to no compensation or peace of mind. I don’t know about you, but I definitely can not condone supporting a company that continues to capitalize while putting their loyal customer’s safety at risk. For the record - I was an Uber Diamond user subscribed to Uber Pass for years. I never had a safety issue like this with Uber, but whenever ANYTHING went wrong I could contact Uber's customer service and they would immediately refund me for the ride and do whatever they could to make it right. I only switched to Lyft for the price (the base Lyft price was cheaper than the discounted Uber price. With Lyft Pink, the service was even cheaper). After this situation, though, I would rather pay the few dollars more to ensure my peace of mind when it comes to my family's safety.

amycray Bangor, ME

Lyft is always there with speedy service

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Lyft is great at getting you where you want to be. Their drivers are courteous, they drive safely and the whole experience is top notch. I love the app and its so easy to navigate all the options. Payments are simple and service is always their first priority. Would definitely recommend Lyft to any daily ride share person.

Zac Cannon Long Beach, MS

I am a driver and rider with Lyft. I enjoy driving for the company to help put some extra change in my pocket, but they are also easy to ride with when you're in a big city like New Orleans and don't want to drive all over to get to certain destinations or when you are out of town and do not have a car. I recommend it to both riders and drivers!

debbie Pleasant Grove, UT

We really enjoy using Lyft. When it is available, we tend to use it more than other services because cars are generally more available. It is fun to talk to the drivers and get to meet people from all over. I have never felt unsafe, and the service has always been positive.

Suzanne Long Beach, CA

Sometimes mistakes happen. Lyft is very good about trying to make things right for their customers. There’s another problem though: Most people don’t like having to complain at all. Some people don’t know how to complain about a problem with the ride. Most millennial’s will not complain because they have better things to do than complain. With that being said, most experienced drivers are very nice very friendly very helpful and experiences are great but there are new drivers that don’t know what they’re doing they are people that are unsafe drivers in general and then you have them doing a Lyft and they’re even more dangerous these are things that all of us worry about and that’s just what we have to worry about when we get in a ride with a stranger. I don’t know if I should say this is a good thing or a bad thing it’s just your luck.

Travis Burroughs Salt Lake City, UT

I love Lyft! I have never waited more than a few short minutes, the drivers have all been great, super fun people to talk to. you can tell that they are happy and excited about what they are doing. not to mention Lyft is all about community I love that about them!

xw justin American Fork, UT

it’s good sometimes the eta is inaccurate i think the prices are fair and it’s pretty easy to use

Destini Ferguson

Lyft is very helpful if transportation is limited for you. The pricing is also reasonable and much cheaper in comparison to other car share companies. I feel safe with all my drivers because i am able to see who is driving, the car, the license plate, and the route the driver is following. Riders are also able to rate the drivers, and you can change drivers if you feel the need too.

ave Pleasant Grove, UT

I have loved my experience with Lyft. They offer discount every once in awhile so I don't have to pay full price every time I catch a ride with one of their drivers. They also are reliable and the drivers are close by, so I haven't had to wait very long for a ride. I love the app and how it shows where the driver is and who it is, so you can feel reassured of who you are getting a ride from.

kristin Gneiting Pleasant Grove, UT

The best part using Lyft is the confidence to know that all their drivers are given a background check. I used Lyft for the first time in Atlanta, Georgia. I like Lyft because the app is easy to use and you actually see the cars driving around close to you and you get to pick which kind of car you want to use. It has changed how people get around big cities. I feel safe and confident in recommending Lyft to all my friends.

Jaylene Holcomb, NY

My experience with Lyft has been slightly above average. Living in a college town as a student with no car, it’s oftentimes difficult to travel. I have oftentimes turned around Lyft when I need to go somewhere fast. Although the app is sometimes difficult to navigate, it get’s the job done. My drivers have always been kind and courteous, and they always arrive within minutes. I am always impressed with the efficiency of this app!!! One time, I ordered a Lyft driver to come pick me up, but then I changed my mind and didn’t need a ride anymore. It was very simple and easy to cancel the request, and at no extra charge.

Ashley Pleasant Grove, UT

My first experience using Lyft was from the airport in Minneapolis, Minnesota. It was a stress free easy way to see which vehicle I needed for my luggage and what kind of car I wanted. Being a first time user I even got a $5 discount for the first 2 times using Lyft. I would highly recommend using this service instead of going through the hassle of renting a car. I am a Lyft fan forever!

Starski Cene Vienna, VA

Keeping it simple is sometimes best, and Lyft has done that! Pros: - The app is clean and simple to use (no overabundance of ads and self-promotion) - Surge pricing is usually better than Uber - Customer service is top notch, and its a small sample size but in my opinion their drivers are a lot happier than Ubers Cons: - Not as many drivers as Uber so in rural areas, Lyft might not be available

Anne Kimball Salt Lake City, UT

We used Lyft especially when we are in the city. Often times we will want to avoid dealing with parking so we will all Lyft into the city together and it just makes the evening seamless. And we end up having a lot more time because we get dropped exactly where we need to be! The drivers have always been super good and helpful and will call if we are having trouble connecting. It's a great service.

Moonstone Vibes Minneapolis, MN

If I could give them zero stars I would. This company is a joke! Three times in one month I have had rude, inconsiderate and lazy drivers. This company should train their drivers in customer service. They just basically let anyone drive for them. I have had route issues and pick up location issues in this month alone. I deleted my account it’s not worth the hassle or putting up with their drivers. And I’m sure the good reviews on here are from people who work for this company

Robert Houston, TX

Lyft just deactivated my account this morning, as a driver for safety reason due to a passenger lien about my service as a driver. They always agree with the customers and never want to hear what the drivers have to say. I have NEVER been rude to a passenger and my car is always Clean. I don’t drink or do drugs and I also have a 5 star rating. They yet have told me the reason for my account deactivation. They told me they have made the decision final. I used lyft as a part time income. I’ve been with the company for almost 4 years and this is how they treat they drivers.

R Long Island City, NY

Living in the city, I dont have a car. So I use Uber a lot. It's only a couple of dollars each trip more than Lyft. The difference can be neglected that it can save me so much headache later! I was so much disgusted last few times experience by Lyft customer service not taking any responsibility on any issues when happened. I have given Lyft multiple tries. It really sucks. All they care is grab my trip money and run! On the contrary: Uber customer service is very responsive, fast and always taking care of customers for a good experience! Once I lost/forgot my leather gloves on the car. After the trip at home I messaged Lyft customer service for help. They are cold and not helpful. Not taking any responsibilities.  Second time, me and my friend called a shared Lyft from JFK to Manhattan. I live midtown and she lives up east so it's on the way. However, Lyft matched us with a guy living in Jersey city and to drop him off all the way in NJ first! Oh My...It obviously is a bad route that we wasted so much extra time in the car! Third time, It is the worst experience. I decided I had enough. I will forever ban this company from my life! I am really angry after hours long 4, 5 times transferred to different reps repeating myself the incident and multiple emails later. Both reps replied after 24 hours are only a copied terms and conditions the company takes zero responsibility or insurance for the users (including driver and passenger). Imagine if I was in bigger danger or damages. I can not risk it. The incident was I have a shoulder injury, the driver damaged my large box of grocery. He carelessly dropped it to the floor. My trip was extended double time due to the incident. The grocery are spoiled due to the delay. My back was also hurt because the driver unwilling offering a hand. Neither the driver or the company offered any good gesture or even an apology

Matthew Wadley San Diego, CA

I love using Lyft when going out for dinner or drinks with my wife. Super easy to use and drivers are normally just 5 minutes away. For the most part, every driver is friendly and knows where they are going. Although the cost for a normal ride continues to go up we will still use them to go back and forth to our favorite restaurant and bars. I love getting reduced rates in my email from them and special promo's to keep using them. I recommend Lyft to all of my friends

Jadon Barre Dallas, TX

Lyft is a cheap and easy way to get place to place. The app is easy to navigate and I connected to my driver on an emotional level. I consider my driver Matt now as one of my close and personal friends.

Mandi Smith American Fork, UT

Lyft is very reliable and very safe. The drivers always get me where I need to go and never let me down. Lyft is comfortable and the drivers are always very nice and welcoming.

Cade Boudreaux , FL

I used Lyft once in New Orleans last year. My driver was late and I didn’t get to where I needed to get to in time. I personally would choose another driving service if I needed a ride.

Chris Plato

My phone was stolen and the thieves ordered car service for themselves and friends. I reported the fraudulent charges and had them close my account. But when I asked Lyft, to whom I was loyal, to reverse the charges they told me "tough luck" and that I should be more careful. I tried for weeks to get escalated to a manager but they refused. My emails were never read in their entirety and I was rudely responded to. Even when I had my credit card reverse the charges, Lyft fought back and insisted they be honored. I've become a valued Uber rider now.

Shari Evers Lehi, UT

Lyft has been an amazing car service to turn to. I’ve only had great experiences while using Lyft! Great drivers, clean cars, my husband decided to drive for them because they are a great company!

Ann Riverview, FL

Overall they had provided excellent service. Only one occasion, while in New York, had one guy for some reasons, refused to give me and my family a ride??! Do not know what's going on, oh then still charging me for that ride, on top of the penalty fee for not using him. It's weird.

Lesa Burgess Pleasant Grove, UT

Recently used Lyft and was impressed with their pricing. It was cheaper than their other competitors so when I was in a big city like San Francisco, I used Lyft services most of the time. I highly recommend Lyft! Drivers were friendly and prompt with picking me up and dropping me off.

Joe H III

Lyft is dependable and more economical than Uber, but I've had two drivers ask me to cancel the ride because they did not want to take me to the drop off location. There is no process/allowance to report this unbecoming behavior.

Kathleen Watts

Always a great experience. Rides are on time Ms drivers are pleasant. I don't like that they charge for a ride when the ride is cancelled and charged through no fault of mine.

Terri Bey

Lyft has great drivers for the most part, and their drivers are helpful and friendly. I wish passengers with pets didn't have to play a guessing game as to which driver will take them and their pets. The cancellation window needs to be longer than 2 minutes, as well.

Pam Coleman

I am a customer, as well as a driver. As a customer, their pricing is very fair especially when compared to the local cab companies. As a driver, there has been a shift in the earnings for a local ride, which many drivers are not agreeing with.

Steven Mercurio

I use Lyft for both business and personal. App helps me keep them separate and has tools to make expense reports easy. A lot of great drivers and very responsive when I do have an issue.

Cassidy Gundersen Orem, UT

I used Lyft a few times while living in Washington DC. It was cheaper than Uber at the time, but some of the cars that picked me up were kind of trashy. My husband has used them more recently and said that his rides were really good. I think that Lyft is a better company overall than Uber because they haven’t had any negative PR like Uber has.

Brad S. Orem, UT

Lyft provides live rider location for drivers to know exactly where to pick up at. The tips in app and review drivers is good. There aren’t as many drivers so pickup takes longer. Drivers are nice.

Breanna Jones Salt Lake City, UT

I got a $20 off coupon to try Lyft and it was a great experience. I had about a 40 minute card ride and had a very pleasant drive with a nice older gentleman. He helped me with my bags and took me right to my terminal. App was very easy to use and I was picked up within minutes of requesting a ride.

Morgan Elijah Tallahassee, FL

Lyft is hands down the most inexpensive ride sharing app. When I was in Orlando and had car troubles my Lyft driver informed me of all things to do in Orlando and how to get the best bang for your buck. He made great conversation and drove very safely I would really recommend Lyft!

Nicole Jones Sandy, UT

While some experiences are better than others, I've never had a bad experience with Lyft. I actually prefer car sharing over renting a car when I travel, and utilize Lyft whenever it's available. It's a thrifty way to get to where I need, and for a fair price.

take7 Sandy, UT

We haven’t had any problems with rides but sometimes the app isn’t working right. It won’t let you search your local area and availability. Usually when I need a Lyft I need to get somewhere quickly so I don’t have time to figure out the app. You lose my business when that happens. When we need bigger cars we’ve been able to get one and it’s clean and driver professional.

Maria Dolet Gaithersburg, MD

I have been using Lyft for a while I mostly use it to help out my family when they need a ride and I cannot get to them they have been very trustworthy and the drivers always seem very nice and I will definitely use them.I prefer them over Uber

Wendy Liu Bethesda, MD

Lyft drivers arrive on time and get me to my destinations safely. They generally use the highway which somehow feels safer to me. Most drivers are very friendly and chatty while others stay focused on the road and only say hello and sometimes goodbye. Every Lyft driver I have encountered have clean vehicles which tells me that they are diligent about their work.