Gig Car Share Logo
star star_half star_border star_border star_border

2.0

LAST UPDATED: August 16th, 2021

Gig Car Share is an AAA-owned car-sharing service with hybrid and electric cars. Services are free-floating, meaning that users don’t have to return the car to the same place they found it, although they do need to stick to the service’s designated HomeZone.

Eligibility requirements include the following:

• At least 18 years old
  • Valid debit or credit card
  • Valid U.S. license that hasn't had any issues
  • Proper driving history

If are eligible and wish to apply, you can simply download the iOS or Android app, enter your info, scan a payment card and driver’s license, and take a selfie. Once accepted, you will be able to find, reserve, and unlock cars (via Bluetooth) with your mobile phone. You also get a Gig Card to lock and unlock the car if you have poor cell phone service or don’t have a smartphone.

Fees include the following:

• Insurance
  • Gas—If you need to refuel on a longer trip, there is a fuel card in the glove box.
  • Parking in HomeZone
  • Maintenance
  • 24/7 customer support
  • AAA roadside assistance

The car service uses a colored windshield light to show availability. A green light indicates that a car is available, and an orange light means that the vehicle is reserved. Drivers can go anywhere within the United States, but can only start and end a trip in the designated HomeZone. Members can drive max 250 miles per trip. After that, there is a $0.45 per mile + tax charge.

Turo Logo
#1 Turo chevron_right
4.0
Uber Logo
#3 Uber chevron_right

The Good

• Flexible Pricing
  • Green Vehicles
  • Discounts and Rewards
  • No Membership Fees

Flexible Pricing

Gig doesn’t charge any signup or ongoing membership fees. With Gig, you can pay per mile, hour, or day. You are automatically charged the lowest amount according to your usage.

Here is a breakdown of the prices:

• Per Mile: $2.50
  • Per Hour (1-6 Hours): $15.00
  • Per Day (6-24 Hours): $85.00

The minimum trip fee is $2.50 and short trips that last less than one hour are charged $0.30 per minute.

Members are responsible for paying tolls, but they will just automatically be added to your account for payment.

Green Vehicles

Gig Car Share only uses green vehicles: Prius hybrids in the Bay Area and all-electric Chevy Bolts in the new Sacramento-based program.

For the already established fleets in Oakland and Berkeley, all cars are 5-seater Toyota Prius C hybrids with two Thule® bike racks.

When looking for an available car to reserve, you can see them in the app, but you also get to see the license plate number, current fuel level, and an estimate of how far you can go on the gas in the tank. This is really helpful. No one wants to get to a car, only to find that they aren’t able to make it to their destination without getting gas, or a charge.

Discounts and Rewards

Gigs with a gold pin on the map have a discounted rate. Look for these when selecting a car to drive.

If you refer a friend with your unique link, they get a $15 credit. Additionally, after they take their first ride, you get a $15 credit to your account.

AAA members get 10 percent discount on every trip’s fees.

The Bad

• Limited Territory
  • Hold on Card and Fees
  • Insurance Policy
  • Reservations

Limited Territory

Gig Car Share is currently available in a limited number of markets, and all of them are in California. It is available in Alameda, Albany, Oakland, and Berkeley; and will soon bring an all-electric fleet to Sacramento.

Hold on Card and Fees

When you apply as a member or make a reservation with Gig Car Share, the company puts a hold on your credit or debit card.

As with most car rentals, you need to take care of the vehicle. You can’t just treat it like your own car. There are fees for most things that would be inconvenient to other members:

• Abandoned car: $50 + $5/mile outside of HomeZone
  • All fees subject to $25 processing fee and taxes
  • Declined credit or debit card fee: $25
  • Drained battery: $100
  • Excessive cleaning: $100
  • Lost car documents: $20
  • Parking and driving violation tickets: face value of tickets
  • Smoking in the car: $100
  • Surcharge after 250 miles driven in one trip: $0.45/mile
  • Towed vehicles: $150 + tow fees
  • Unauthorized parking: $100
  • Unauthorized use of the car by Third Party: $150
  • Unlocked car: $100

Insurance Policy

Gig provides third-party liability insurance. This coverage is for bodily injury and property damage, but doesn’t cover damage to the car. Regardless of who is at fault. It is meant to work together with your insurance that you already have.

If you don’t have insurance, here is a breakdown of the insurance coverage:

Bodily injury liability: Up to $100,000 per person and $300,000 per accident
Damage liability: Up to $50,000
Uninsured/underinsured motorist bodily injury: Up to $15,000  per person and $30,000 per accident

You cannot purchase a damage waiver.

The max you will be responsible for is $750 for damage to the car and $250 if you are an AAA member.

Reservations

Users can only reserve a ride thirty minutes in advance. This is a negative if you are looking to make solid plans. Additionally, there is a penalty if you reserve a car and don’t get to it on time. If you don’t reach your reserved Gig car within 30 minutes of reservation, you can’t just log on and re-book it. You won’t be able to book that same car for two hours.

The Bottom Line

Gig Car Share service is a green, flexible car sharing program from AAA that is currently only available for people in a limited number of California communities.

There are no membership fees and the program has a flexible pay-as-you-go pricing plan.

Although most functions can be done through a mobile phone, you are able to join and use the service without a mobile device, for those smartphone holdouts who still wish to take advantage of this environmentally friendly car-sharing program.

AAA members get to rent at discounted rates and all Gig Car Share members benefit from a variety of amenities including fuel, insurance, parking, and 24/7 roadside assistance included in their pay-as-you-go prices.

View Best Car Sharing Companies

1.7

star star_half star_border star_border star_border

Janaye Calvin San Francisco, CA

In the beginning it was a good reasonable way to get to work with ease. For some reason now Im aways getting stuck with a dead car!!! (Battery Problem) find myself waiting on AAA to give the car a jump knowing it takes at least a hr to 2 for someone to even come out. Also when something like that happens you have to stay with the vehicle and your getting charged the whole wait!! It’s becoming a epic problem but someone told me that the cars get looked at everyday I’m confused then why is the battery dead and maintenance is required lights come on. My time is money and I don’t get paid to do the next person job!! Please Just get it together the idea isn’t bad just service on the car and y’all shouldn’t have people on the road like this.

Gabby O. Seattle, WA

The service is convenient and mostly straightforward. Customer service used to be the same way, now it’s awful. I had to wait over 40 min to talk to someone as the car was not turning on, while paying for the car. Had to update my drivers license and again, over 40 min wait when I was told my waiting time was 15 min. Not a reliable customer support, have it in mind before renting the car. They also tried to charge me 150 bucks for excessive cleaning, claiming there was as chicken poop and chicken food all over the car, when it was clean after I dropped it. I talked to an agent and the agent gave me an attitude, basically assuming I was as lying about it. I’ve never carried a living chicken in my life, that was a funny surprise. At last, they dropped the charge. While it’s convenient, it might be best to go to a car rental for longer trips and Uber or Lift for shorter rides to avoid dealing with crap like that.

HippieLifeEnt Sacramento, CA

Terrible , Avoid GIG! They make my card “decline” everyday cause me to pay the authorization fee OVER AND OVER! I keep getting stranded due to this as well, i had to walk TWO hours the other day and they refused to roll up the window for me while I walked to add my card. I truly hate this companies customer service. Oh and don’t get me started on gas! I have yet to be reimbursed!! They always say refund is on the way but I’ve never received it!

Michael Pettingill Layton, UT

Using GIG has allowed me to get around Seattle when visiting, much better than dealing with car rental companies. They have bundles that allow me to use the car for multiple days, which helps me out even more. I’ve only had one small problem, and the customer service rep was extremely helpful. I was up and going in no time. I’m thankful this service is available here.

John & Lisa Rauliuk Seattle, WA

You better make sure there is plenty of gas in the car. They will not reimburse you if you foot the bill and ask for reimbursement per their requirements. The credit card in the glove box is useless if there is one.

GN Seattle, WA

The idea of Gig Car Share is great and has been around before, however, this particular service, powered by AAA, is the worst implementation I have tried. Here's why: 1. Smoking is not allowed in the cars, but the first car I reserved reeked of cigarette smoke and was filthy. 2. They say that vehicles should be fueled and ready to "Get In and Go", but if the car is in need of fuel, you are instructed to pay out of pocket and fill out a form to get reimbursed on your card on file within three business days (https://gigcarshare.com/fuel/). Not true. I had to fill up the tank during my trip (by the way, you are still on the clock, paying for the Gig service by the minute, while you refuel their vehicle for them) and submitted my receipt for a reimbursement. It's been over a week now of back and forth with customer service as they did not provide reimbursement to my credit card on file. Instead, they insist on "reimbursing" me for the fuel expense via Gig car credits that expire in 2 months! No thank you. 3. During COVID, Gig states that hand sanitizer will be available in vehicles to help keep members safe. Again, not true: there was no hand sanitizer found in the vehicle. 4. The app itself was mostly easy to use, except when trying to end the trip, it took me several tries and a few extra minutes until I was finally able to stop the clock. The error I kept getting was that the engine was still running, which is was not. 5. If you have a AAA membership, you can get a 10% discount on Gig trips, however, when I called in to ask about this, the agent had no idea what I was talking about. Overall, the service is still rough around the edges, but it's the poor customer service and support that really needs to be improved. For now at least, there are many other better options out there.

Swedish Pa Lynnwood, WA

Attempted to use promo code 10/24 less than 24 hours after receiving 10/23 and told it is “invalid” even though expiration date is tomorrow 10/25. HORRIBLE!! why even bother offering something your company has no intention of offering. Definitely builds bad feelings.

Keith Sacramento, CA

I use Gig in Sacramento all the time and I love it. Forty cents per minute, rarely does my ride cost more than $5. Most of their cars are electric, Chevy Volts I think.

Windy Sacramento, CA

I picked up the car in what I thought was part of the home zone because the app allowed me to reserve and book it. When returning the car to the exact same spot the app says it’s out of the home zone. I call and am told it’s a tech error that allowed me to reserve it in that location. I’m now forced to drive to an area that is a 40 min walk from my home late at night. The rep (Dante) was condescending because he didn’t like the tone of my voice. He’s not the one with a 40 min walk from home at 10pm!!!! Basically they wanted me to fix their error or some other driver’s. Not using this service again. The cars should be available city wide. We should not be parking them in a Residential area that already has limited parking and is out of the way for those most likely to use it.

Devon Meyers San Jose, CA

DONT RENT GIGCAR! Having been a AAA member for many years and receiving excellent customer service I was very very disappointed in the poor quality of service from GigCar. The car had an issue on a drive I was on, so the nice support agent offered to get me a tow, the tow was taking forever so they offered a ride back to my home. The issue with the car was that it was not starting or unlocked. Items of value were in there including an irreplaceable jacket I owned, but I was assured by the agent on the phone that the car would be safe and I could pick my items up in the morning. I call in the morning to go pick up my stuff and find out its all been lost or stolen!!! WHAT??? GigCar has given me the run around all day with no resolution. They made a promise that my stuff would be safe and then made zero effort to protect it or make things right!

DAUGHTER RENTED so I did Sacramento, CA

THIS COMPANY IS SET TO TARGET YOUTH ONLY.. for illegal purposes and to ROB THEIR PARENTS BLIND .I EXPERIENCED elder discrimination, 90%OF THEIR cars are NOT BEING. used. I HAVE BEEN LOCKED IN THE VEHICLE OVER 2 TIMES IN A 7 DAY PERIOD IN HOT CONDITIONS, LATE AT NIGHT IF THE DOOR OPENS THE ALARM GOES OFF. NO CHOICE I WAS STUCK IN A PARKING LOT. THIS IS ABOVEGROUND WHITE COLOR CRIME, FOR SEX TRAFFIC OR RAPE. WHEN I REPORTED THIS, I AM NOW BEING RETALIATED AGAINST ...... THIS IS BAD NOT TO MENTION ALL OF THE FAB 40's AREA ARE TIRED OF PEOPLE PARKING(AT FORCE) THESE GIG CARS ON THEIR STREETS THEY ILLEGALLY PROCESSED PAYMENT DURING YOUR RESERVATION. PAYMENT IS PROCESSED BEFORE A 24 HOUR RENTAL HAS OCCURRED and then charge DECLINE FEES. G A L O R E. please I BEG OF YOU YOUNG PEOPLE YOU ARE MUCH BETTER off using public . THIS IS NOT FOR SACRAMENTO . I requested the refunds and paperwork for the exact time of process THEY DECLINED MY CALLS WILL NOT ALLOW MANAGEMENT TO RESOLVE ANYTHING. I AM BRED BORN AND RAISED IN SACRAMENTO A DAUGHTER OF A WWII VETERAN, TAX PAYER AND A VOTER. NON CRIMINAL NON DRUG OR ALCOHOL USER AND THESE PEOPLE ARE for the folks here.

Anna Sacramento, CA

The worse customer service I’ve ever encountered in my life. They select the hub locations of their cars where people can pick them up within residential neighborhoods, driving late night foot traffic. The cars are constantly parked in front of same residential homes and are replaced as soon as the car is picked. Street parking becomes a big problem in residential areas close to midtown and the company refuses to move the cars that haven’t been taken in days or weeks, or change the hub location to the commercial areas

Gig customer Roseville, CA

Can never lock the car immediately after a ride, overpaying for minutes of waiting while app is trying to end booking, ridiculous!