While car sharing has been expanding as an industry, so have peer-to-peer ride-sharing companies like Uber and Lyft. GetAround is a unique service that combines these two great ideas—giving you, essentially, peer-to-peer car sharing. Thousands of car owners offer their vehicles to be rented by GetAround members whenever, wherever (limits set by car owners). Adding to the draw of GetAround is the convenient in-app reservation method. Like ride-sharing companies, users’ transactions are all completed in a paperless and convenient fashion. This fresh take on car sharing is growing rapidly all over the US, with no end in sight.

Rank Chart
getaround
$5
$750
3.8

The Good

GetAround is available through their website and mobile app. Information on where to pick up and drop off a vehicle is provided by the car owner, and all payment is performed through the app. Renters can choose which vehicle to rent based on vehicle profiles available

Because of the nature of GetAround’s service, the ability to customize your own experience is beyond the scope of many of GetAround’s competitors. Users have new options every time they go to select a car in a new location, and they can choose a size, style, and price according to their preferences. Because of the nature of GetAround’s service, users potentially have thousands of vehicle types to choose from. However, the vehicles available vary based on service area. Also important to note is that the following will not be available:

• GPS
  • Customer care
  • Roadside assistance

Additionally, the rental rates are much lower than many other Car Share services (obviously depending on the type of car rented) and the pickup locations closer and more convenient than ever. With no initial or annual membership fees, GetAround is a great option for those who want a fast rental and who aren’t looking to commit to frequent rides. GetAround offers free memberships and pricing as low as $5/hour. Daily rentals are also available. Prices vary by car type, owner, length of rental, etc.

GetAround has a review and report system in place to help keep all rentals professional. Additionally, GetAround has taken steps to make the rental experience seamless for both renters and rentees. For example, all GetAround vehicles now come with automatic toll charges for passing through FasTrak toll lanes.

GetAround cars are owned and managed individually by the car owner. For this reason, max usability may vary from owner to owner. Generally, you can go 200 miles each day in a GetAround car. If you exceed those miles, you’ll be charged $.40 per mile. Most GetAround cars can be rented by the hour, day, or week.

The Bad

Because GetAround uses cars that are owned and cared for by individual contractors, there is no guarantee that all cars will have the same quality. GetAround does have a new-car policy (all cars should be from the year 2000 or later) to try to combat this discrepancy, but wear and tear on vehicles could be significantly different. Additionally, GetAround’s insurance policy has drivers responsible for initial costs, which means increased liability when you get behind the wheel.

Gas is not included in the rental price; renters are expected to return the vehicle with the same amount of gas as when the rental period began. Since GetAround does not include gas or other added benefits, when you pay for Getarond, you are solely paying to drive the car in one round trip.While there are rather apparent benefits of using Getaround, we have a few concerns:

• Fees do not include gas
  • Fees do no include roadside assistance
  • Only available in 5 cities

GetAround is only available in the San Francisco Bay Area, San Diego, Chicago, Portland, and Austin. Like popular ride-sharing apps, GetAround allows users to rent cars from everyday car owners, which means availability depends on the amount of car owners who volunteer their vehicle in a given area.

GetAround offers comprehensive, collision, and liability insurance during the rental period for all members. However, there is a $750 damage deductible per incident, which is the responsibility of the renter. Also, GetAround has a late fee or $50/hour.

The Bottom Line

GetAround is a simple, hassle-free way of car sharing with the convenience and pricing to rival alternative methods (car rental, ridesharing, etc.). In addition to being convenient and money saving for users, this service helps to reduce the number of vehicles on the road by making full use of the ones already there. Compared to competitive services, GetAround gives you more options based on personal preference. For those who are looking for a quick ride with minimal long-term obligation and maximum customization, GetAround just might be the app for you. Those that use GetAround can expect the following from the service:

• Low rates
  • Insurance applicable
  • Lack of added features/services
  • Limited service area
  • Review/report system in place

Availability

GetAround is available in the San Francisco Bay Area, San Diego, Chicago, Portland, and Austin. Like popular ridesharing apps, GetAround allows users to rent cars from everyday car owners, which means availability depends on the amount of car owners who volunteer their vehicle in a given area.

Price

Features

Getaround does not include gas or other added benefits. When you pay for Getarond, you are solely paying to drive the car in one round trip.

Insurance

Late Fee

Getaround has a late fee or $50/hour.

Car Options

Because of the nature of GetAround’s service, users potentially have thousands of vehicle types to choose from. However, the vehicles available vary strongly by area.

Max Usability

X close
X close

7 Getaround Reviews

1. Select Your Rating:

0=WORST 10=BEST

2. Subject For This Review*(Select all that apply)

0 characters

3. Review Validation*

or

1. User Score

November 23rd, 2016

I was a member of Citycarshare which has just merged with Getaround. Getaround only uses Facebook to sign in. This is a hassle for people like me who do not use Facebook. Instead of sending out instruction for me to upload a photo of myself and my driver’s license for verification BEFORE I needed a car, they asked for it after I have gone through the process of signing up for Facebook, looking through their website and selecting a car. After the upload, a rep named Ron called to verify the information with me. He said it would take 24 – 48 hours for the process to complete. I did not get any update from him so after 5 days, I sent an email asking for the status. No response. I waited two more days and sent an email to another employee and she never responded. I finally got a response 7 days later stating the process is complete. It took 12 days for these people to verify my information. No one bothered to respond to my emails asking for status. I signed up with Zipcar and now am happily driving away from Getaround. It’s appalling the incompetence and lack of care for customers there. I say stay away from them even if you have to crawl.

2. User Score

November 17th, 2016 San Francisco, CA

-I was forced to transition when city car share changed over last week in SF. The login REQUIRES you to have a Facebook account. I dislike linking accounts and the process was unexpected with no work around.
    -At checkout for the car I selected I was forced to a min. 2 hr rental. There was also a service fee added. Cars have a bridge toll payment scheme but that also adds a fee to the toll payment which is not clearly advertised up front.
    -When I arrived at the location and opened the app to find exact location the car was 7 or 8 blocks away. I walked to there pulled out my phone and opened the app again to find the car was now at the location I was at previously so the first 20 minutes of my rental was spent walking around finding the car.
    -In the area I rented no cars have a guaranteed parking spot so when I returned I drove around the neighborhood for another 15 minutes to find a spot (I guess its good they required a 2 hr rental…).
    -You must fill the tank after every trip so plan on extra time and cost.
    -Some (but not all) insurance is included and there seems to be a high deductible. I find this an higher level of risk than I had been used to with previous short term rental experience through other companies and it also potentially raises your cost substantially.

Overall – very poor first experience and I don’t like the structure of the agreements. I”ll be looking for another service.

3. User Score

November 16th, 2016

GetAround is misrepresenting their Company with false advertising to get CityCarShare Customers. Their site states they joined not purchased the Company and Cars. I signed into City CarShare and was sent directly to GetAround Website. I entered new membership information with my Credit Card Number. Then I called GA to find out if I had the same benefits and discounts honored? No, this Company is offering nothing I had with CityCarShare and my $25 membership is not going to be refunded. The Rep from GetAround said I would get a refund from CityCarShare. I called CityCarShare and talked to the answering machine and am waiting for a callback. I was pissed so I went to the site to delete my personal information and I couldn’t delete my CC number without entering a new one. I called the GA Rep to cancel my membership and the rep tried to direct me to their website. BAD COMPANY TO MISREPRESENT THE CUSTOMER…NOT TO BE TRUSTED..I’ll go to ZipCar..

4. User Score

September 24th, 2016 Chicago, IL

GetAround seems like a ponzi scheme to me. I rented a filthy car 8/29/2016 and returned it clean! GetAround charged me $250 and accused me of smoking the next day! I called them 3 days in a row. Not only would they not resolve the problem, there was no one to speak to! There is no customer service – just some random person that knows nothing about nothing. I actually gave up because the entire situation was causing me too much stress. I let them have the $250. They contacted me today, 9/23/2016 (nearly a month later) claiming I dented the back bumper on the car! Then I realized this is all a lie. I’ll contacting an attorney next week.

5. User Score

July 27th, 2016 Campbell, CA

Would not recommend this company because, after a rental, I was charged for damage that I don’t believe I caused. Fair is fair though, because I didn’t take pictures of that specific part of the car (I documented body damage, dents, and scratches on the rest of the car) and so I am liable. Here’s where it gets concerning:
    – Even if you don’t believe you caused the damage, you have no recourse. Even if you have pictures of other types of damage on the car, if you don’t have a picture of that specific part of the car with the damage, you will be liable for the damage (check your wheels and rims!)
    – If damage occurs during your rental, you do not get access to the car to be able to see the damage for yourself, if you’re lucky, they will provide you what the next renter after you provided
    – They will get the damage repaired without providing you a quote beforehand, you’re then liable for whichever person they’ve chosen/whatever the cost is that they’ve been quoted
    – This means it’s VERY difficult to get a secondary quote for the work required
    – Expect a ton communication– they may promise to reach out to you to explain things, but they won’t. Then they will call you when you’re at work to talk RIGHT THEN (my case is almost at the one month mark)– it becomes tedious to manage their communication schedule
    – If you ask to be escalated to more senior management, they will never allow you that option- you have to go through the customer representative you’re assigned (I’ve asked multiple times now)
    – They will tell you that their quote is the most competitive, but when you prove them wrong, they will still select the highest competitive quote to limit their loss on what they’ve already paid, and will threaten that if you don’t accept that quote then they will make you pay the original price

6. User Score

June 17th, 2016 Chicago, IL

Pricing is misleading. Hidden fees exposed at checkout. Double your hourly outlay. Adding insurance deductible and this becomes expensive and risky,

7. User Score

June 25th, 2015 Arlington, VA

Cars are usually dirty, and malfunctioning. Plus customer service is not friendly.