Getaround Logo

2.3

LAST UPDATED: January 3rd, 2022

GetAround is a unique service offering peer-to-peer car sharing. Thousands of car owners offer their vehicles to be rented by GetAround members whenever, wherever (limits set by car owners). Adding to the draw of GetAround is the convenient in-app reservation method. Like ride-sharing companies, users’ transactions are all completed in a paperless and convenient fashion.

Keep reading for pros and cons, plus Getaround reviews from real users.

Uber Logo
#1 Uber chevron_right
Lyft Logo
#2 Lyft chevron_right
4.0
Turo Logo
#3 Turo chevron_right
3.9

The Good

• Customization
  • Rental Rates
  • Review and Report System
  • Getaround Connect

Customization

GetAround is available through their website and mobile app. Information on where to pick up and drop off a vehicle is provided by the car owner, and all payment is performed through the app. Renters can choose which vehicle to rent based on vehicle profiles available.

The ability to customize your own experience is beyond the scope of many of GetAround's competitors. Users have new options every time they go to select a car in a new location, and they can choose a size, style, and price according to their preferences. Users potentially have thousands of vehicle types to choose from. However, the vehicles available vary based on service area.

Rental Rates

Additionally, the rental rates are much lower than many other car share services (obviously depending on the type of car rented). With no initial or annual membership fees, GetAround is a great option for those who want a fast rental and who aren't looking to commit to frequent rides. GetAround offers free memberships and pricing as low as $5/hour. Daily rentals are also available. Prices vary by car type, owner, length of rental, etc.

Review and Report System

GetAround has a review and report system in place to help keep all rentals professional. Additionally, GetAround has taken steps to make the rental experience seamless for both renters and rentees. For example, all GetAround vehicles now come with automatic toll charges for passing through FasTrak toll lanes.

GetAround cars are owned and managed individually by the car owner. For this reason, max usability may vary from owner to owner. Generally, you can go 200 miles each day in a GetAround car. If you exceed those miles, you'll be charged $.40 per mile. Most GetAround cars can be rented by the hour, day, or week.

Getaround Connect

All cars on GetAround have a special Connect device that allows users to unlock their shared car remotely. Owners and verified renters can access the car's locks. This saves owners the hassle of having to meet renters in-person. It also has an anti-theft function to disable the starter if it is not being used by the owner or a verified renter.

Vehicle owners who list their car on GetAround are charged initial and monthly fees for the Connect device. A 30-day free trial is offered.

The Bad

• Quality
  • Additional Costs
  • Availability

Because GetAround uses cars that are owned and cared for by individual contractors, there is no guarantee that all cars will have the same quality. GetAround does have a new-car policy (all cars should be from the year 2000 or later) to try to combat this discrepancy, but wear and tear on vehicles could be significantly different.

Additional Costs

Additionally, GetAround's insurance policy has drivers responsible for initial costs, which means increased liability when you get behind the wheel. Gas is not included in the rental price; renters are expected to return the vehicle with the same amount of gas as when the rental period began.

Since GetAround does not include gas or other added benefits, when you pay for GetAround, you are solely paying to drive the car in one round trip. While there are rather apparent benefits of using Getaround, we have a few concerns:

• Fees do not include gas
  • Fees do no include roadside assistance
  • Only available in 5 cities

Availability

GetAround is only available in San Francisco, Oakland, Berkeley, Los Angeles, Portland, Chicago, Washington DC, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Seattle, Boston, New York City, and Miami. Like popular ride-sharing apps, GetAround allows users to rent cars from everyday car owners, which means availability depends on the number of car owners who volunteer their vehicle in a given area.

View US Car Sharing Providers By Location

Damage Fee

GetAround offers comprehensive, collision, and liability insurance during the rental period for all members. However, there is a $750 damage deductible per incident, which is the responsibility of the renter. Also, GetAround has a late fee of $50/hour.

The Bottom Line

GetAround is a simple, hassle-free way of car sharing with the convenience and pricing to rival alternative methods (car rental, ridesharing, etc.). In addition to being convenient and money saving for users, this service helps to reduce the number of vehicles on the road by making full use of the ones already there.

Compared to competing services, GetAround gives you more options based on personal preference. For those who are looking for a quick ride with minimal long-term obligation and maximum customization, GetAround just might be the app for you.

View Best Car Sharing Companies

1.4

M.L.G. San Francisco, CA

Hidden fees that aren't mentioned until you want to reserve a car. One is a deposit of $100+. Which, is a huge thing not to mention until someone has already selected a car. There are also booking fees and something called a "license fee". I, for one, do not have over $180.00 to give to Getaround. When I haven't even driven yet. I could not get a car by the week. Because, I could not pay what Hertz and Avis want up front. Plus, parking is a hassle where I live. I thought, getting a car by the hour was a great solution. Now, I am stuck again. To demonstrate how shady this company really is. It is impossible to even speak to a real human being!

Javier Austin, TX

I rented once with these scammers. Never again. I was on a time crunch for an appointment, and I forgot the specific return time I had set. Instead of sending me a courtesy reminder via text, Getaround sends me an email. Who is likely to be checking emails while they’re driving??? The $50 late fee was more than the rental fee…and a crafty way to steal (I mean “earn”) money. They said it was because of the income I kept from the car owner from not being able to rent his car for that time period, but conveniently didn’t provide any proof indicating in fact there was someone else that wanted to rent that car. As if that wasn’t rough, I was late for my return because I was looking for a gas station to replace the fuel I used. The rental was a basic Chevrolet with approximately 26 miles to the gallon. For a 6 mile drive (round trip), and putting a gallon of gas in the car prior to return, it is logically impossible to pick up the car with a gas tank 78% full and return is 62% full. I even submitting a photo of the fuel indicator as part of the return procedure, and Getaround conveniently lost that. Avoid this company at all costs and through these and similar messages of truth, this unscrupulous organization will be bankrupt and nothing more than an inconvenient memory hopefully very soon.

VARH Balham, LBH

CAVEAT EMPTOR CAVEAT EMPTOR - BUYER BEWARE Think very carefully before you hire a car through GETAROUND. You can ZIP around London with a more ethical company paying less and offered more value added service. After you have booked something you cannot change it. The price only goes up. It cannot go down even if you change requirements that should reduce the fee. They will find a reason to strip money out of your deposit. You cannot speak to anyone. They will not reply to your emails. They impose unilateral judgements & price penalties with no evidence. Greedy car owners will try to suck more cash out of you on the flimsiest of reasons. GETAROUND will support them. Finally I phoned the LLP Registered Company address to make a complaint. After that I finally received an email reply. A second phone call ten days later triggered some of my money back. It took me the best part of ten weeks to get £200 refunded. And a lot of hard work. Hire a car from anyone but not GETAROUND. I am now signed up with a proper company. ZIPPING around London in the same model of car for less money. Fully insured. Congestion charge included. With a call-centre, people to talk to and systems in place to protect you from apparent extortion. People like me who need a car service have far better options than this horrible company. VARH of Clapham Junction

Jessica Z Jersey City, NJ

I booked a car through getaround for thanksgiving travel to visit family. After we had arrived at the car pickup location, to our dismay, no car was present. Getaround had failed to confirm that the car was available and therefore we did not have a car. The agent that we contacted was super unhelpful and rude and did not seem to care at all. On top of that, he only offered $5 compensation which seemed like a complete insult. I would recommend everyone to book through Turo again and get much better service.

Anita Roe Denver, CO

Don’t waste your time if you desperately need a car. The car will be nonexistent or un-drivable and your money will be tied up and no credit given for a new rental if one is available. And I’ve lost hundreds of dollars trying to rent cars to drive for Uber. They have a small section of cars that are to be rented to drive for Uber only. I can’t count how many times I’ve lost out on hundreds of dollars of income due to their negligence and you’re lucky if they don’t put erroneous bills on your credit card. And usually the most they’ll offer you is a $10 discount code. Don’t use this company unless you have money to tie up or lose or only need a car to run small errands. Their business modular is disrespectful to their customers that keep them afloat as a business.

Davies Dan San Francisco, CA

Getaround’s business model is to take a percentage of your rental fees, and then stick you with all of the business expenses including repairs and parking tickets that were incurred during a rental. They’ll act like your partner until something has to be paid for, and it definitely won’t be them. I put my car for loan on Getaround’s platform for about a year from 2019 to 2020. During that time I incurred expenses that Getaround agrees to reimburse in their terms of service, but in the end they refused and I ended up losing a lot of money. Collision: In early 2020 my vehicle was involved in a collision while it was being rented. Repairs ended up costing me $536. Getaround used their own estimate to determine the cost of repairs and paid me only $416. So I had to pay over $100 for that. Parking Tickets: In 2020 I discovered my vehicle had $481 in parking tickets and late fees that were incurred while being rented. Getaround paid only $125 and refused to pay the remaining $356 that is owed. So I had to pay over $350 for that. Control Device: When I wanted to take my vehicle off the Getaround platform, Getaround was unable to send someone to remove their control device from the vehicle because of the pandemic. I had it removed at my dealer at a cost of $61. I understand about the pandemic but this is still Getaround’s responsibility. They threatened a large fine if I didn’t return the device. So I had to pay over $60 for that. In the end these expenses that Getaround refused to reimburse were too high and I was losing money month to month. Working with Getaround was not worth the time, money, or frustration.

Ruth Miller San Diego, CA

We flew into Portland and had a car reserved for a week. Which gave us 1200 miles, it was a great experience for us. The car performance was great, and we always wash and refuel a vehicle no matter who we rent through. For us this was a much cheaper option than the rental car companies. I rate this service 5 star!

Lauren Johnson Minneapolis, MN

I had to go with a service like this in Boston because rental cars were all sold out. I can tell you I will NEVER rent with this company again. Once we got our car, it had been smoked in and was FILTHY. There was also a nail in the tire. It was evident that the car had not been cleaned or inspected after the last rental. I needed the car and had no other options so we drove it to get the nail out of the tire and that cost us $40. The smoke smell in the car gave us a headache all day. I figured once I returned the car, I could talk about about my experience with customer service and would be compensated for some and they offered me a measly $16 and little to no apology. The fact that you cannot even review your experience on the app is very telling about how much they care about their renters. All in all, horrible experience. It ended up costing me an extra $75 with tire repair, late fee (because the tire took an hour to fix) and mileage fees that we incurred because of the tire. Just don't rent from here unless you want horrible cars, horrible customer services and all around a bad experience.

Alisha Messenger Wheat Ridge, CO

This company could care less about customer retention and they will take, take, take from you until they have had enough and then on to the next victim. I have spent lots of money renting with this company for years and then all of sudden some host claims I scratched their car however the claims adjuster was unable to prove to me the photos the host used were take immediately after I returned the car. I specifically washed the car just like I do every car before I return it and I can guarantee there was no scratch. So then I was told it was a $27 dollar scratch but I would be charged $227 and the only way to reinstate my account would be to pay that. So I not only pay that but then I am told to lay$36 for a "fuel" charge and then I can rent again. I paid that too and then after I called and emailed and emailed and emailed begging them to reinstete my account because I needed a car bad I receive an email telling me that for no specific reason because they are not at liberty to discuss with me but that my account will be closed permanently and there is nothing I can do nor am I allowed to understand why it's suspended indefinitely or why they lied to me for days. Absolutely disgusting and I can only imagine how they stay in business. Turo is clearly winning so maybe they just take their frustration with losing out of their customers. To be honest the hell with Get around and their atrocious customer service. I say Good Riddance and good bye. They should be ashamed of themselves.

J Maris Cape Town, WC

-1/10 Do Not Recommend: Would Rather Rent A Camel. In theory, an excellent idea! When all goes smoothly, this is a great service. But when things don't, it can take hours to receive a response from customer care, you will be slapped with surprise expenses for an otherwise affordable service, and the app will glitch so much it makes you feel like you're in the Matrix. When you finally do reach customer care, they are patronizing and rude, even mocking the fact that I missed a family funeral due to *their* last-minute, uncommunicated cancellation of the car I had booked. An all-round terrible experience. If their customer service responds to this review, lol, do not trust them.

Gabriela Farmer Palmdale, CA

I will be the first to admit that I was constantly returning my getaround car rental late. And they were never rude to me in any way... in fact they didnt suspend me from using their service despite having accumulated several hundred dollars in fees. But the last straw was a night I had to go to the er and returned the car 8 hours late and to the wrong location without filling it with gas. Am I upset I'm suspended? Sure. Did I deserve to be suspended? Absolutely! I cant even be upset with this company knowing my part in the action taken... but I will say this. Getaround was always willing to help me regardless. And if car wasnt ready or my time was wasted in any way, they always compensated me for time paid...

Léo Duquesnel San Francisco, CA

[UPDATE] Getaround has been comprehensive of my issue and has fully refunded me. I thank them for that and I hope they will continue their user experience.

Juls Brooklyn, NY

Never Again 2 trip booked ending in 2 nightmares - In August I rented a Tiguan wolkswagen 2020 for 11am The day of booking,1hr before going on vacation I receive a call telling me that the car is towed I don’t have a car but I can get a Nissan Rogue for An extra 200$, so indeed I refused and asked for a similar replacement. They ended giving me a GMC Acadia that I had to pick up 5miles away. Planed departure 11am, actual departure following day 11am - September 19th I booked a Tiguan 2020 again at 10.30 am, I go with my 3yr old son to pick it up, in front of the garage door is closed no one answers, Getaround help is to give us a Honda CR-V instead about a miles away, there we go with my son and the car seat. Get there, car as a Flat, so to avoid any further issue I take it to drive back my son and then drop back the car. Getaround help at 2pm still no help and no solving resolution. I found a car, getaround help insure me that I have a code for value of 305.29$ but when booking the next car it gives me only $172, of course getaround help doesn’t answer emAil as they don’t have a phone that I can reach them to. I go pick up following car that has empty tank and costed me 95.12$ to book plus 32$ gaz And when getting ready to finally go on our trip we started to smell a strong funky burned oil smell, we were on the parkway already, and with a car that was throwing gigantic white stinky smoke all over, and imagine in the car is my 3year old son and his mother, so I decided to go back, it was 8.15pm and our check in was at 3pm at the hotel so had to cancel our trip and hotel($446,5 non refundable) Cost of the trip for not going: - 3 lift trips to reach the cars 44.63$ - cars 305.29$ + 95.12$ - hotel 446.5$ - 32.88 $ tank refill speedway TOTAL 924.4$ Paid for staying home and waisting completely my whole Sunday and ruined weekend

Fatherof3 Gaithersburg, MD

The concept of carsharing is brilliant, however, Getaround is not the answer. Everything leading up to the actual rental was good. I arrived at LAX an hour earlier so I thought I would start my vacation sooner. The app wouldn't reveal the location of the vehicle until the rental time began but gave me a vicinity where the car was located. So I decided to leave the busy airport and wait at a nearby coffee shop in the vicinity of the car. Once the time arrived the app put the car 30 miles away in Cerritos, CA? With my wife and my 3 young children waiting at the airport for an hour, now I must find transportation 30 miles away?? I quickly jump into an Uber and drive to Cerritos, based on the GPS in the app, it took me to a spot on the FREEWAY where there was no car?? We pulled of the freeway into a nearby strip mall and I search and search but no customer service number?? I could only find an email address so I asked for a return call ASAP (I recieved an email response 4 days later). Furiously, I headed back to LAX in hopes that one of big box renters still had a car to rent. As I got close to the airport, I check the app one last time for a response from customer service and the car was now located back in the original vicinity I was waiting for. What do I have to lose? I did a drive by and when I arrived the car was there, relieved that things were getting better after such a rough start, I performed my pre-inspection in the app and took photos of the vehicle from all angles. The car was in reasonable condition but not clean, the fuel was below 1/4 tank, the car smelled like marijuana and carpet cleaner. The car had low miles and performed well, the weather was nice in LA that week so windows down to dissipate the odor and I had a chance to salvage this trip to LA! After my trip, I returned the vehicle and took photos from all angles and boarded my flight. Later I wrote an fair and honest review of my experience and then I got slapped with a $900 fee for damages that I did not cause. I immediately wrote (can't call) customer service to ask about he charges, also, I logged into the app to see my pre inspection photos to dispute the charges and low and behold the front right picture was missing, in it's place was a duplicate copy of the front left side. The damages were on the under side of the front righ bumper/spoiler. Without the original photo how could I dispute the damages? I asked Getaround where the photo went and even a photo from the previous renter and no response. Multiple emails with no response. Hey, they did reimburse me $50 bucks for my inconvenience when my wife had to take a $60 Uber to leave the airport to feed my young kids since I didn't return for nearly 3 hrs. What about the $200+ dollars and hours in an Uber I wasted driving 30 miles away to retrieve my car off the freeway that wasn't there! What an absolute nightmare, if you don't believe me, take a good look at all the bad reviews online. Some very similar to my story, as soon as I wrote a fair and honest review but was considered negative to Getaround, I got slapped with a $900 charge for damages that I didn't cause and the pre-inspection photo gone missing... Lesson learned, never use Getaround, spread the word "never use Getaround", if you decide to take chance good luck and make sure you take photos of your own (not on app) so the same thing doesn't happen to you. Hope that nothing goes wrong b/c customer service number, you are on your own until the vacation is long over. Just out of curiosity, I open the app yesterday to see what the renter might have said negatively about me as a rebuttal and I get this message. "Hang tight, we're reviewing your account." We'll let you know when your acct is approved so you can book your trip. Approvals may take up to 24 hrs to process. Hey don't take one man's word, do a quick internet search and see all the bad reviews for yourself, city after city the reviews will pop up by the hundreds.

Lucy Yang Brooklyn, NY

By far the worst experience I've ever had with a rental company. If I could leave zero stars, I would. Avoid this at all costs if you value your safety and a bare minimum of customer service. I rented this car to drive to my best friend's wedding, which I was a bridesmaid in. I drove in it for less than 2 hours total (and there was heavy traffic so we were going very slowly for most of the ride) when the back right tire randomly blew out. My friend and I had to make an emergency stop and pulled over on the side of a highway. When I inspected the car, I discovered the tire was extremely flat--more than it should have been if the tire had hit something in the road which it definitely didn't or we would've felt it. When I tried to contact the owner about the fact they rented me a car with a faulty tire, the number listed reached an automated operator which said there was no one available to speak to, which I found extremely suspicious. I then tried to contact Getaround customer service, but both agents I spoke to said my only option was to have the car towed back to its original location, only after which they would TRY to find a replacement vehicle for me (but they kept stressing they "could not guarantee" they could find me another car). They informed me I would also have to pay out of pocket for the tow service, which I frankly found ridiculous. At this point, we had been stranded on the highway for more than an hour and a half, and I was crying, feeling abandoned, and late to my friend's wedding. If this had happened late at night, this would have put my friend and I, two young women, in an EXTREMELY dangerous situation. The total charge after all this happened is $555, a sizeable chunk of which is the tow fee (I had originally booked the car for $278, including tax and fees). I've been informed that I need to file a claim for both the rental car cost and the tow service cost. Getaround customer service has not been empathetic or helpful in the slightest. When I called them, it felt like they were reading from a script and did not care at all about the customer's safety or satisfaction.

Decater Collins Seattle, WA

I wish I could give it less than one star. Getaround is such a poorly run company. I've used their app to rent cars a number of times in the last year, and it's almost always been a disaster. I've arrived at a car and the battery was dead. I've arrived at a car and it had been broken into and the key was missing. I've arrived at a spot where the car was supposed to be, and somehow, someway, the car was in a different city!!!! Obviously problems might arise, but where the company really fails is in their customer service. They are incredibly hard to get a hold of, even when you are actively renting a car. Every time a problem comes up, the person seems to want me to somehow fix it. Like the car has been broken into (before I rented it), and they want me to take photos to document it, rather than them working to find me a new car ASAP. Most importantly, and you all need to realize this before you even think of using this service, their terms of service are such that if the car is in your possession, or even after the car has been returned and prior to someone else renting it, you are responsible for any damage, even if you are not liable. That means if you get rear ended at a stop light, they can charge you the deductible. It's totally within their rights. Bottom line, this is a terrible company that will look to gouge you anyway they can.

Jeremy Gilmore Hoboken, NJ

Very poor customer service. They are just so inundated, poorly trained, or completely disinterested in serving customers when something goes awry. Still trying to resolve an overpayment from a previous issue and am now on my 6th go around with their customer service team to resolve the matter.

Dennis Martz Sacramento, CA

I have been both an owner and a renter on Getaround for more than 5 years, having rented my vehicle dozens of times, and rented numerous cars for personal use. This company is a complete scam. Recently, I tried renting a car for a quick trip, and received notification that my account is being held hostage by an unpaid invoice of $200. Upon sitting on hold twice with Getaround for more than an hour, they said this is from $20/month charges back in 2015 (yes, 6 years ago) when I was renting out my personal car through the service. They recently implemented a new system that now collects invoices from 6 years ago. I never received any email, phone call, notification, or anything from Getaround regarding these charges, I'm guessing they are a failing business that is now sacrificing relationships to try to make a buck, as they cannot send any proof that I actually owe these charges, and it is long past their ability to notify me of any outstanding debt. I will be deleting my account and never thinking of this company again, Hertz and Turo will be my sole sources of personal transportation while traveling.

Nora Alexandria, VA

I have been a long time customer of getaround and things just started to turn negative. In the beginning it was super easy and convenient to rent a car from them. Now the fees I am being charged and random emails I am getting from them is getting to be ridiculous. I have dealt with 3 different service reps and they have all been unhelpful and rude (Emily, Cedrick and Miko). The current issue I am dealing with is a parking ticket. They sent me an email charging me $125 for a parking ticket that occurred during my trip. They sent me a notice over a month after the trip that the car was ticketed. I looked up all the tickets under the license plate number on the DC transportation website and there was nothing but another charge for $100 that took place 5/17, when I was not driving the car. It all seems a bit scammy to me. They also charge you a $25 fee for any citation but it doesn't say that explicitly in their terms and fees section. ALSO they charge you an insane amount for gas filling up in dc they charge you $8 a gallon..

Greg Kelly Boston, MA

Used twice. Disaster. First car smelled like smoke. Second car had a gas tank on 16% at pick up and they refused to reimburse me for filling it up. Dishonest.

PolarShrek Chicago, IL

The car location shared for pickup was wrong, then the car itself was very dirty and had stain patches on backseat. Suport team provided replacement but for additional charge. Location shared for the new booking was again wrong. Trip end time was not extended due yo this drlay. started my trip almost an hour and a half late. This was my first but definitely last experience with Getaround. Would prefer other rental services even if it means paying a little more

Christie Collings Seattle, WA

The car I reserved was not available as the previous renter didn't return it on time. Getaround did not notify me of this--I found out by driving to where the car was supposed to be and it wasn't there. They found us another (but inferior) car to use. Their customer service people won't engage at all on why they don't have a system for notifying people of problems with their reservation. I won't be using the app again as it sucked all around.

Anastasia Loukrezi Athens, I

Please read my experience before you rent a car from Getaround/Drivy. I rent a van on September 2020 in Paris FRANCE for moving cost me 500 euros for a damage I didn't do. The Van was 53 euros for a day, the caution 400 euros and everything seemed to be okay. The caution was returned to me after a week (policy of Getaround) and the owner of the car even left a comment on the application, saying that everything went well (!). The trouble began after the caution was returned to me; The company emailed me, saying that I had damaged the vehicle and that I need to pay. Magically, the photos that served as proof on the application of Getaround (photos I had to take with my phone BEFORE and AFTER the rental), were no longer available on the application, thus I had no way to verify and see what the damage was. The photos were removed and the only proof was what Getaround was saying on their email. Please note that this dreadful company has no phone number to contact and absolutely no support. After exchanging exhausting emails with ''client service'', trying to understand what happened and why I am responsible for this damage, they sent me photos as proof. PHOTOS THAT WERE NOT THE SAME AS THE PHOTOS I HAD TAKEN OF BEFORE AND AFTER the rental. At this point I had started losing my mind. I informed them that I refuse to pay and I will need to chose a legal way in case they continue harassing me. They stopped suddenly until something SCARY HAPPENED. 7 months after the whole story took place, I opened the application on my phone (I hadn't used the app after the horrifying event), I just opened the application without using it, without of course ordering any other car. The next day I received a threatening email from a debt collection company that works for Getaround. They even sent me texts, emails, having all my private information. I ended up paying because I was afraid and probably stupid. Please don't do the same as me. Save your money and your energy for a legit company and never ever rent a car from Getaround!

Christine Kuo San Francisco, CA

We rent Getaround for errands and convenience so perhaps our experience greatly differs from those who rent Teslas or expensive models for the "driving experience". Everytime we rent from Getaround the car is either filthy, has broken parts or downright dangerous to drive considering the car's condition. When the cars have been filthy, the inside is not only covered in dust and mud, but also dog hair and or smelling of vomit. One car had a broken side rear view mirror hanging on by scotch tape. The most recent time before we deleted the app, we rented a minivan that we had previously reported it had engine issues that needs to be fixed prior to being safe enough to drive. Seeing it on the App gave us the impression that it had been fixed so we rented it again, only to pick up the car with worse engin issues. Many of the warning lights were on while we drove, the car rattled and the steering wheel would constantly veer to one side and jerk back itself. The engine made the sound of a racecar. We had loaded the car with luggage to go away for a night and has 2 kids with us, and decided that it really isn't safe to drive anymore so we called Getaround. Customer service gave no solution except to tell us to drive back to where we picked up the car and choose/rent another car. Customer service said they had EMAILED us saying the car is not drivable. They also called us but did not leave a voicemail. We were appalled that not only do they expect us to continue to drive with a dangerous car back to the pick up spot, they allowed us to rent it on the app. Shouldn't there be a basic filter to bar offering dangerous cars on the platform? Are we supposed to check our emails every time we rent a car from them, at 7AM? Basically, it seems that anyone can offer their car to rent on the App, and there is absolutely no maintenance of the cars' quality or safety standards. We were left with no choice but to drive back, unload all the luggage and 2 kids and un-do the car seats at home, and cancelled our trip. There was no minivan nearby and we for sure did not want to continue to take the risk of using another Getaround car. A whole weekend completely wasted by poor service and products of this company. Very upset.

John Miami Beach, FL

As a car owner, I thought this was a great idea since I do not really need a car in Miami Beach. I had good luck with renters and made money. Problem for me was toll reimbursements, red light camera citation and difficulty leaving company. I kept my Sunpass on car because express lanes do not use toll by plate. March tolls were not credited on April payout after submitting help request and getting assigned ticket number. I called in April and I was told it would be corrected. April tolls were not credited on May payout and neither were the March tolls that I was supposed to receive. Submitted 4 tickets online asking for help and only received help after slamming them on twitter with help ticket numbers. Did not rent car in May because I was not doing anything until tolls were reimbursed. Finally, received toll credit of $182.55 in June for March and April tolls. Received a red light citation, sent it in to company and instead of them paying, I was told that I would have to pay then request reimbursement with receipt of payment. Not sure why they could not pay since they had all of the information and could bill renter, pay citation and I would not be out any money but they did reimburse me $173.00 on a ticket that was $158.00. Requested to leave company on 7/17 and it took a couple of emails and finally was given an option to schedule removal of their unit on 7/29. Scheduled appointment for 8/1 at 10am. Guy calls me at 2:15pm to pick up car after I had called twice and slammed them on Twitter again for missing appointment and not reaching out to me. Glad unit is removed. Great concept but if you have to stress and fight for your reimbursements it is not worth it. I told them based on what I read about the way accidents were handled and how my tolls were handled that I do not have faith in their company.

Ricky Houston, TX

I’m confused? I used Getaround for my trip to LA and loved the app but after a month from coming back home I decided to look at the app again and saw that “user is under investigation”??? I can’t use the app but what does this mean? I didn’t get into any accidents or any violations?

somebody in la Tolleson, AZ

I was contacted numerous times and I mean numerous times to rent my car. That was an immediate red flag. Then after I talked to the guy about installation blah blah blah he sends me an email stating that there's some BS annual fee to list your car!! Why would I pay to rent my car when I am almost certain they take money out of the rental fees LOL. The guy also said that if the gas and car aren't in same condition as rented then you automatically get paid to fix it. He also said that about damage and tickets but from the looks of these comments that was a lie and thank goodness I read these comments! It seems great you don't have to deal with the people face to face but in all honesty Id like to see and document the condition of the car upon arrival. Yeah Im good on this company!

Hailey Nilson Salt Lake City, UT

Getaround was useful when I took a trip to Florida and didn't want to spend an arm and a leg on a rental car. The program is clear and easy to use, the car I used was clean and worked perfectly, the person I rented the car from was very fun and great to work with.

Heidi Brackenridge Gardena, CA

Getaround users beware: cars you reserve are frequently NOT there when you arrive and, despite company’s no smoking policy, often reek of pot, cigarettes, cigars or even all three. Want help from customer service? Good luck!

Jennifer Taylor Seattle, WA

A guest stole my car 37 hours ago. I've called and no one answers; left messages and haven't received a call back still my emails have also gone unanswered. I guess I have to cancel my day tomorrow and go to 925 4th to retrieve my money for my stolen vehicle from Getaroiund! (2020 Jeep compass)

Topher DésPrés New York, NY

Using car rental companies in NYC like Enterprise or Budget or Alamo is a nightmare. What GET AROUND taught us is that it can actually get worse. For 10 years we have been renting cars in NYC, trying new modes of transportation searching for easier ways to get around town or go on trips. So far using traditional rental car companies has been the best option however it’s still awful for a number of reasons, we hoped this service GET AROUND could actually make things more convenient and more affordable so we gave it a shot. We were wrong and learned our lesson, it is actually easier and more affordable to use a car rental company and here’s why: 1) the setup of the application and approval process took literally hours, I’m not joking. I could have gone back and forth to a car rental company and rented a car 7 times before I had completed installing the app and getting all the approvals. And to boot, the whole process took over my google account and rearranged things to a manner I still haven’t been able to figure out how to undo so that’s a mess. 2) We got to the car pickup location on time and there was no attendant to be found or called, also the owner of the car could not be reached. It took over an hour just to find our car, and when you’ve rented it for 8 hours you’ve now wasted 1/8 of your rental time where as I would not have going to a car rental company. 3) While trying to unlock the car through the application it wasn’t working, it took several tries and never actually completely worked. Images were never uploaded of the interior or gas levels and when I returned the car they claimed the fuel level was low (it was not) but they claimed it was even though they have no photos to prove the levels of where the gas was before using the car. I have been trying to contact GET AROUND about this and they still have not gotten back to me. 4) The car was filthy and stunk like cigarettes. In the cup holders and all around the car there was tobacco, ashes and remnants of marijuana. I kid you not, I have the photos to prove it. I also found a wine glass in the back seat with wine in it. Who leave alcohol and drugs in the car for someone to rent? OMG. 5) The car was not in good shape so GET AROUND does not inspect their cars (nor make sure their clean), the car needs an alignment and the breaks squeaked and didn’t work well. At a car rental company at least you know you get a CLEAN AND SAFE car. 6) GET AROUND limits mileage – and then charges for additional miles. Car rental companies regularly give out unlimited mileage! 7) And here’s the kicker…. GET AROUND actually COST MORE than a rental care company. I can rent a car for a full 24 hours sometimes for under $90 in NYC. $90 won’t get you 5 hours in a GET AROUND vehicle. So after all these points.. what is the point of GET AROUND? It’s simply a gimmick and doesn’t actually work better, don’t waste your money. GET AROUND has still not responded to me or taken care of the incorrect gas charges. As a lifetime New Yorker who truly understands the importance of how we get around – this is not a good option. What GET AROUND has given me though is a new perspective on the car rental companies in NYC. They are not great, but they are the best option so at least I feel better visiting Enterprise, Alamo or Budget. There’s plenty of locations in NYC to pick up cars from and easily drop them off without the hassles of GET AROUND.

Alexander Kuravsky New York, NY

AVOID, AVOID, AVOID!!! Major scam. Rented a car for 54.00, plus fees came out to 77 dollars. In the end, I was charged a whopping 297 dollars!!!! This place gave me a tank that was almost empty. I refueled it on my own, but was still charged 25 dollars for returning it “ 38% full” according to Get Around. After returning the car, a few of 106.00 was charged for tolls— Yes, you heard it right— tolls. They charged me 3 times for crossing one bridge, which is considered a TRIPlE CHARGE. Customer service is nonexistent; you are only able to speak to a representative on the phone during an active car rental ONLY. The moment the car is returned, you no longer have access to customer service. When I sent them an email, I got a computer generated response about a 150.00 hold. The 150.00 hold had NOTHING to do with the 106.00 fee for tolls, or the 25 dollar fee for returning the car with only “ 38% full tank.” Mind you, when I received the car, the tank was almost on empty!!!! Please, stay away and report this company to the Better Business Bureau immediately.

David Welch Chicago, IL

1) I get a message saying I'm liable for damages to the car's hubcap. 2) I check the photos and it's not clear but it does kind of look like the hubcab is missing when the car was returned. 3) But the car experienced nothing that would cause a hubcap to fall off. And here's what interesting: In the trunk of the car is a single hubcap. Nothing else. Just one hubcap. The one thing that is damaged happens to be the only thing that is also in the trunk. Coincidence? 4) I am being charged $405 to fix it. In what world does a $20 hubcap cost $405? 5) I am given a link to see the charges and dispute the claim, but the link doesn't even work and goes to a missing page on Getaround.

Galen Crawford San Francisco, CA

A customer blew out my speakers. Getaround said this is normal wear and tear. My speakers were working perfectly before a certain customer rented my car and now the left speaker is completely inoperable and the right speaker just sounds like 2 bears wrestling in a pile of leaves anytime the volume is set over 10, which is quieter than a call on speaker phone. Case closed and my speakers are still blown out. My mechanic said there was an electrical issue in need of diagnosis between the Getaround Connect device and a dead cell in my battery. I submitted a claim to Getaround about this and another issue on the same invoice. Every time I ask directly about the issue between the connect device and dead cell, they do not answer my question. You'd think Getaround employees are all aspiring politicians the way they provide non-answers. Not to mention it took over a month and my needing to ask and re ask, and follow up, and follow up again on the same issue, speaking with 4 different people within Getaround in order to find myself with questions still unanswered. I even gave them the phone number of my mechanic and after asking 3 times they finally called to get information on everything except for the question I asked them to investigate which was central to the claim. Case closed without fully being investigated. I am attempting to cancel my getaround and have them remove the connect device. Now they tell me that I have to pay a mechanic to remove their property and return their property to them. They say they will give me $100 for this. It costs more than $100 to have this procedure done. Again, they want me to pay up front to have their property removed and returned to them.

iCH London, ENG

Used Getaround UK some times last year and worked well, good hosts. Tried several times in 2020 and whatever card I am using it never gets accepted! Both BANKS (3 different cards) checked and confirmed NO ISSUES, tried several servers/App/Mac/Windows/ reinstallation... all triple checked!!! Contacted customer service with NO assistance whatsoever! Standard response about "contact your bank", get money on your account, we can't help, non of our problems, no responses at all! When trying to close the account I figured that my accounts verification documents had disappeared. CS- Assistant has obviously not even noticed/checked my account. I re-verified myself as clearly you can not book when not verified. Had to be manually re-verified as there were issues of whatever kind as well... Informed the rude CS-Assistant and included screenshots from my fully working and money loaded cards... and again, only a rude I don't care what you say and I don't do nothing comment from CS... I'll CLOSE my account!!!!

Alexander Johnson Burbank, CA

First they wouldn’t approve then they approved but had my account on lock for a month before they approved. Got approved picked a car, system error so they denied me again. Tried again two more times same thing. Customer service gave me a 20 dollar discount code which I then couldn’t use for two months as none of the cars I tried to rent were available despite being on the systems website. Months go by I try again. This time it works. It my discount code is gone. Had to work with customer service for an hour before I was able to rent with my code.

Theo B Marlborough, MA

Poor customer service Lied to and then told that I was good otherwise by multiple agents and then lied to on here by whomever controls messenger hoping that I would get a different outcome about what was told to me WHEN YOU HAVE IT RECORDED and nobody will do nothing to assist but reiterating the same thing and accusing me of lying as if I have time to just complain IN THE MIDDLE OF A PANDEMIC when all i wanted from the beginning was clarification so that I wouldn't have the issues that I'm having now. I cant believe this is how this company is treating a new customer when your losing old ones by the minute

Lihang Lin Philadelphia, PA

When I first heard about this service in terms of being able to rent a car and paying a low cost of doing so, I was relieved. Being a new customer Getaround has offered me a car that I thought would be a nice car. When I got to the vehicle, I then realized that there were MULTIPLE issues that deemed the car NOT safe to drive what so ever, but I dealt with it. A couple of days after the rental was returned, the owner decided to say that the car key was no where to be found. Get around decided to side with the owner and I quote "You are liable because the car key was not able to located." Then they charged me over 300 dollars for a car key replacement. During the trip, I on multiple occations reported issues and te customer service representative said that he did see the notes on the account. I am more than likely to say that the owner made these accusations up so that he can get a replacement on the car key himself on the expense of the rider.

Marjorie Wilmington, DE

This company is the worse beware I was renting cars from them since December of 2019. I was recently charged $300.00 for damages on a vehicle from Jan 2020 that I had for 48 hours. The damages that were listed were an oil change and change of tire even though the tires was reported during my trip and was told to switch to a different vehicle by get around. No we’re in the policy is that listed as a damage claim for oil or tires because that is routine maintenance. I’ve attempted reachIng out with non response. Do not attempt to use this company they will charge your card with out authorization for things for any reason.

Tyler Nutter San Francisco, CA

I've had my car listed on Getaround for about 3 years now and while it was great at first, the last year the level of support the company has offered has greatly declined to the point that I can confidently say this is the worst service I've experienced. It's near impossible to get any help at all at this point without waiting 2 weeks for an email reply, or 45 minutes to an hour on the phone which depending on the issue they may or may not even be able to assist. 90% of the time the rep doesn't read my issue and sends an unrelated reply that doesn't help solve my concerns. The reps don't use any common sense and most recently my car was deactivated because a renter thought a tire was flat because it was parked up against a curb so there was an indention where the edge of the curb touched the tire. Not the ground, the curb... How does that make sense? During this process I was going to clean my car out after last renters left it covered in dog hair, and I found a used syringe stashed under the drivers seat. When I emailed/called Getaround to inform them of this they offered zero concern that someone rented my car to shoot up drugs and said nothing could be done and for me to throw it away or have a service clean it. It's gotten to the point that I'm so sick of dealing with this incompetence that I've decided to delist my car and sell it. I sent an email 3 weeks ago to get info on this process and get it started if needed with anticipation of leaving it on until the end of February. Somehow, the next day I got a reply that my car was deactivated (something I explicitly said I didn't want to do) and that my ticket was being transferred. Luckily I was able to get it turned back on after spending 45 minutes on hold. Fast forward to today, 3 weeks later, I finally get a response and am told I'll have lookup someone to have it uninstalled with the only info that they should have a certification. I'll then need to pay for it up front and wait for the reimbursement that they will give me next month that will hopefully cover the cost of the service. Oh, also they went ahead and delisted/deactivated my car even though I stated I didn't want that just yet. Might as well leave it off so I can be finished with this awful service sooner rather than later. So let this be a warning to anyone considering renting their car on this service. On top of renters treating your car like garbage and getaround not caring one bit about it, the dents/ding's that your car will get, but also lots of frustrating encounters with this company.

Aysha Haq San Francisco, CA

I have the worst experience of my life when i tryed to complain about one of their drivers that was driving someone else's car making illegal turns and putting other drivers in danger. They called me back and they were very unprofessional, very rude calling me stupid, saying that women don't know how to drive, women don't know how to give directions and very insulting. I have over 35 years plus years of driving and know how to give directions and don't understand how they are in business. They should be out of business and I am going to complain in every website plus write to better business bureau.

Max Desmornes Hyattsville, MD

Before this issue,I was ready to give 5stars to this company but hmmm hmmm I was really disappointed .....I used Getaround since September until January to do Uber...For me it was the best rental ever because you don’t have to pay a deposit, they don’t do credit check and you don’t have to waiste your time on a long line,customer service is on point,very polite....I recently had a car accident,I was waiting on the red light and a Spanish guy hit me in the back and just left and quickly I followed him to make him stop and called the police.....After I was talking to my lawyer I decided to pay the car damage although it was not my fault after my therapy I didn’t want to stay home without nothing to do,I called them to let them know I want to pay the estimated fees because it was the only one job that I had (full-time Uber) they sent me to the claim department and they said the guy insurance should come first to see the car...That is non sense,completely ridiculous because I wanted to book another car and it wasn’t my fault I explained them everything they still don’t want me to pay the fees,they paralyzed all my activities so now I have to looking for another rental car for Uber or another job😕

Terry Manhattan, IL

STAY FAR AWAY! I have not spent almost $5,000.00 through this company over the past year as an alternative to Enterprise and regular car rental agencies. This was probably the worst decision I ever made. Cars are filthy, the costs you think you save gets eaten up through: their auto tolls, ubers and lifts to get to the car locations when yours is not ready and the incredible waste of time trying to find cars and return them, car washes every time. Customer support only answers the phone when you have an active rental. Never spoke with an "owner" always the call center. The egregious behavior of this company to change policies while driving is beyond compare. I've often extended rentals and later found out my extensions did not mirror the original rates from the initial rental in fact one time a $30/day rental with a 3 day extension was billed at $300.00!!!! WTF?! This company acts fraudulently and in the past 3 months has added an "insurance option" WTF they originally said EVERYTHING was included in the rental price. The cars are also never full of fuel and you get ZERO compensation for returning cars you picked up on E, full. Do yourself a favor and stay far away from this place. Go to a real brick and mortar rental business and save yourself the headache.

FQ Chicago, IL

This company is a complete joke! I’ve rented from this company a few times now and these are the issues I’ve encountered repetitively: 1) The cars aren’t always where they’re supposed to be. Example: You find a car, pay for it, wait for the app to show you where the car is location. Let’s say you booked a car 0.5 miles from you, the car will sometimes end up being 10 miles away from you and unavailable. Customer service is terrible when it comes to handling this situation. Takes anywhere from 2hrs to 24hrs to speak with a supervisor. Refunds take 3-5 business days as well. Just terrible. 2.) the cars don’t always look the way they do on the app. Example: I booked a Jeep. Looked brand new on the app. When I got to the car, a massive piece of the passenger was missing. A complete joke. 3.) The cars always not always clean. They’re dirty, musty, and sometimes reek of marijuana. You have to wash the car yourself! Overall, I don’t recommend this service to anyone. Avoid it. This company should be removed entirely.

CP Seattle, WA

This Company is a Joke! My car was hit by a person using a Getaround car. My car was parked in front of my house, my housemate who rents his car out on Getaround and I were home when the renter hit my car and then left with out saying anything to either of us. It has been since the end of September and I have called several times only to be sent to a "Claims department" that has never answered their phone. the customer service line that was on their website now has an automated message that says "this is a number that is no longer monitoried by Get around." The only way to actually get to a live voice is through a phone number only available to users of this service with in the mobile app. I have had my insurance company get involved and they have had no luck either. This is no way to run a business.

Adam Chicago, IL

If you want to rent cars that are dirty, smell like weed, and severely damaged use this company. This service was a disaster every time I used it. There were constant issues ranging from cancellations as I’m walking to retrieve the car, to the car not being located anywhere near where it is supposed to be. Then a car being in a parking garage and I’m required to pay the parking ticket to leave the garage to use the car, which I’ll be “reimbursed” for. Then I called to cancel it was told they would and refund me, then I am still charged for the entire trip but was given a promo code for my next ride. They will never refund any money you spend, just give you a promo code for your next ride. Almost every time I used a car it was dirty and smelled like weed, or the person before me was late to drop off the car. There was one time I got to a car and it looked like someone had taken a baseball bat to it with dents all over the car. The company and the owners are scammers and will charge you for damage to cars, taking money ($200) out of your account without even talking to you beforehand, then sending a vague email after the fact saying that you caused $1500 in damage to a car you rented 3 weeks before. They won’t give you any specific information or proof that you were the one to cause that damage yet say that you are responsible for another $800, their only proof is that you didn’t take photos of the car before you dropped it off. So basically if you don’t take photos of the car they can scam you and take your money without any proof. I have called many times to get this proof only to get the run around and say that they are reviewing the case and if I have any photos of the car before the “accident”. There was no accident, the car most likely was damaged by another driver or the owner and since I forgot to take photos I’ll never get that $200 back and they are going to try to take more money from me when I’m not looking. Garbage scamming company. Please don’t ever use this service!!!

KessBD Brooklyn, NY

A critical failure to provide the service: car not there! First up, I rarely — if ever — write reviews complaining about a service. If I have an issue, I much prefer to speak directly to those in charge rather than shout into the ether and spread negative talk. However, after hours spent trying to work this out, being as patient and understanding as I can, I have no choice but to add my voice and help others avoid this fate. I don't want to spend any more time on Getaround, yet here I am. Decided to take a gamble and rent a car through Getaround to use to travel upstate. Travelled almost an hour by PT and foot to a garage designated by the app to collect the car. Arrive at the garage to find the car is not there. There is no direct number to contact the owner. Immediately call the help line and wait 10 minutes on hold before I get to talk someone. In the meantime, I send two emails to the help service after the first one bounces with a “this service is not connected to a valid email” alert. Spend 45 minutes on the phone with a staff member to remedy the situation. The car I had booked had not yet been returned by the previous renter — which seems Basic Operation 101. Don’t rent out a car before the car has been returned (for context I had rented the car 2 hours before pick up time)! Alt car provided in Jersey (I live in Brooklyn). Rental period not even extended to cover the delay. Was either that or refunded & paid $10 credit (which is essentially Getaround saying: We want to fail at the most basic element of our service, waste hours of your time, get you to spend extra money on travel returning from another state after returning the car, and for that we will pay you $10). I ask if they think that’s fair, the staff member agrees that it is not however that is the best he can do. Staff member and supervisor hemmed In by “company protocol”. Any other new business would be bending over backwards to ensure good relations this early on. However I will be paying $100s of my own time returning a car Monday, after compromised, much needed weekend away. No discount to original rental, one way Uber covered up to $45 (which WAS NEVER PAID). Leaves me stranded in Jersey Monday morning, with a rental cut short by 30mins. Grotesque disconnect from what company does to protect itself in the short term vs what it costs in the long term. Hours out of my day wasted. Weekend plans derailed. Then, in the week that followed, a mix of struggling calls with one staff member to resolve the failure and a complete mess of automated messages and calls/emails from random staff members following up on the botched ticket. Promised a payment for an Uber which WAS NEVER RECEIVED, despite my requests. Promised some sort of compensation for the failed rental WHICH WAS NEVER RECEIVED. All I got was 2 x vouchers (1 x $10, 1 x $30) with an expiration date of 90 days.

As mentioned, this fails to even cover the Uber I was promised, let alone offer some sort of discount on future rentals. Follow up emails requesting resolution ignored. Equates to falsification of service and outright theft. Criminal at worst, ineptitude of the highest order at best. I will be amazed if this is still around in 12 months. Any investor with 2 minutes to google Getaround will discover the truth. DO NOT USE THIS SERVICE, either as vendor or customer. DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT.

Peter McDonald Stone Mountain, GA

Getaround is the absolute worst when it comes to customer service Eager to take your money but don’t even have to courtesy of giving your concerns proper attention Watch out for the so called safety department Nobody works there. It’s a sham. It’s the worst experience I have ever had in all my 50 years on this Earth Totally feel unappreciated by Getaround No other company has never ever ever treated me with such disdain as if they don’t care As a matter of fact they don’t care They absolutely don’t care at all Peter McDonald Unsatisfied customer from Atlanta Georgia I Would never ever recommend Getaround to not even my worst Enemy

Joy Seattle, WA

Don’t use! Thought this would be a less expensive option to car2go and was wrong. The car I rented was located in a residential garage and accessing it required back and forth communication with the owner, hard to locate the keys in the car, and extremely tight parking spot. That would have be fine EXCEPT at the end of the trip you’re required to fill the gas, which would have been fine except in Seattle there are not many gas stations near downtown and this car specifically had an issue with the gas tank latch which was jammed. After waiting to hear back from the owner and GetAround it ended up being 15 minutes and it was an issue with the car. Also each owner has different instructions to return the car, while I retrieved the car from a garage the owners instructions were to park on the street and send her the location so she could pay for parking before moving her car back into her garage. I followed these instructions, however this differs from GetArounds rules which require the renter to pay for any tickets for 24 hours after their rental ends, they instruct you to find parking that’s suitable for this length of time which simply isn’t possible in Seattle. While I followed the owners instructions, the car was ticketed which I was automatically charged for as well as a $25 fee for receiving a parking fine. In total $65 on top of the rental fee. Without the parking ticket, paying for 24 hours of parking would have been at least $30. The inconvenience of refilling gas and parking is not worth it. Use car2go or Uber!

Alicia San Francisco, CA

If I could give Getaround zero stars I would. It is an absolute disaster to deal with this company as an owner of a vehicle. A broken window took six weeks to replace, while they kept the car in their possession the entire time with no communication. A loss of use payment was supposed to be received but they have now missed 3 different promised dates payments would be issued by. Calling customer service provides no answers, no accountability, nothing. Terrible service all around. They are completely unprepared to deal with the slightest hiccup in the process and it shows. Please save yourself the headache and use an alternative company.