Enterprise CarShare Logo

Enterprise CarShare

Is This Your Business?

6.3

LAST UPDATED: September 4th, 2020

Enterprise CarShare started out as Philly Car Share in 2002 and was later sold to Enterprise Holdings in 2011. They provide quick and cheap car rentals on an hourly and daily basis.

To reserve a car, users simply choose a car on the Enterprise CarShare app. After reserving the car, renters can simply return the vehicle when they have finished with it. All transactions go through the mobile app, for increased convenience. Enterprise CarShare is marketed towards those who do not have a vehicle or who are trying to reduce the number of vehicles on the road.

Application and membership fees differ, depending on your city. Generally, there is a one-time application fee of $15-25 and an annual membership fee of $50, though each area offers different plans, depending on how often you plan to use the service.

On average, there is an hourly rate of $9.50 and a daily rate of $49.99 with an additional cost of $.19 for every mile after the first 200 miles. Gas is included in the rental cost.

Keep reading for pros and cons, plus Enterprise CarShare reviews from real users.

Turo Logo
#1 Turo chevron_right
4.0
Uber Logo
#3 Uber chevron_right
Lyft Logo
#4 Lyft chevron_right
4.0

The Good

• Availability
  • Vehicle Options
  • Mobile App

Availability

Enterprise CarShare is part of the new wave of vehicle sharing, which aims to provide a cost-effective alternative to buying or renting a car. University students seem to be the main focus, as Enterprise has many university locations throughout the US. Enterprise CarShare is available for individuals to use in 15 cities, but has a wider reach on college campuses, covering about 100 campus locations in 32 states.

Along with many available locations, some university programs allow students as young as 18 to join. Most traditional rental car companies, depending on the state, restrict rental access to drivers age 21 and over.

View US Car Sharing Providers By Location

Vehicle Options

Enterprise promises new, clean vehicles. Available vehicle models vary by location. To see what is available at a location near you, search for your city on the website or mobile app. Enterprise CarShare offers the following vehicle options:

• Hybrids
  • Electric models
  • Pick-up trucks
  • Fuel-efficient sedans

Mobile App

Enterprise operates through an app, making it a convenient way to rent for those with smartphones or mobile devices. Additionally, Enterprise has a host of environmentally friendly vehicles, so drivers can rent with a clean conscience. It is available in many university locations, making it a convenient choice for students who do not own their own cars. Gas is included in the rental cost, which means one less thing to deal with for renters! To reserve an Enterprise car, register for membership on the website or mobile app. After registration, users can reserve cars on their mobile device. All payment goes through the app, so when the rental period is over, users may simply return the car.

The Bad

• Insurance
  • Service Limitations & Fees

Waiting Period

Insurance coverage varies by location. One thing that differs from several other car share options is the additional, optional insurance and damage waiver. Where other hourly car rental options just roll insurance into your rental price, or charge a $1 fee per rental, with Enterprise, you have to review your options and decide whether you want to select the extra insurance option or waive the coverage.

Service Limitations & Fees

Enterprise charges an annual membership fee, one-time application fee, plus your hourly or daily rental rate. They also charge a $50 late fee, plus an unknown hourly rate. Users can drive 200 miles with an Enterprise CarShare car. More than that will cost you $.35 per mile. Customers can reserve Enterprise CarShare cars for 1 hour to 7 days.

Waiting Period

Once you sign up for Enterprise CarShare, you have to wait for your membership card to arrive in the mail before you can actually rent a vehicle. The card is used to unlock your car, so you will need to plan a bit in advance of your first rental.

The Bottom Line

If you have a CarShare location nearby and you are looking for an alternative to buying a car, Enterprise is a good choice. You may end up paying a little more than with other services, but with Enterprise, you will be assured of a quality vehicle.

By using Enterprise CarShare, renters can help decrease the number of vehicles on the road as well as their own car-related expenses over time. It is worth looking into for those that live in select cities or near a college campus.

View Best Car Sharing Companies

Wendy Liu Bethesda, MD

We decided to rent a car from Enterprise while in California for vacation. Not only was renting the car extremely easy on the website, but their prices are unbeatable. The price was super affordable and the customer service was superb. We had nail get stuck into our tire and the first thing they asked us when we called them was about our safety. Enterprise is the way to go when renting a car!

Luna Rockville, MD

Enterprise CarShare is a great company that provides convenience car rent to our family trips. We were able to travel to a city with a car that belongs to us. It helps us to prevent confusion from riding buses. Their locations had always been great. The employees are super helpful. The cars are very clean. Sometimes it could be expensive in a short amount of time.

Natalie Brown Boulder, CO

I used a rental after a car accident. The Ford Fusion I was given to use in the meantime was very nice! It was clean and very new looking. The front desk person to help out with the car rental was very nice also. He made sure to get me a rental I felt comfortable in and even offered a car ride to and from the dealership that was fixing my own car.

Madison Kneiss Long Beach, MS

i have rented from them about 5 times. most of them were great. once, we left with a vehicle that apparently had a small chip in the windshield. i drove from the company to my house and parked. when i got up the crack had went across the windshield. i was liable for it and they reported to my insurance. i lost my discount with my ins company. i do not believe this was my fault but they were not hearing it.

Shannon B Salt Lake City, UT

When I got in a car accident, I rented a car for a few days from Enterprise. When I went to go pick up my sedan, they were out of the car that I had reserved online. To make up for it, they upgraded my car at no additional charge. Was really impressed with the way they handled the situation. Also made the drop off process really easy.

nathan brewer Lehi, UT

I recently had my truck break down right before a family vacation where I was supposed to be taking the dirtbikes. I called Enterprise the day before our trip and they were able to get us a Nice new Dodge 1500. I liked the truck so much I sold my truck as soon as it was repaired and went and bought one just like it.

sameer Rane Jersey City, NJ

Fraud Alert!!!! I was member of Enterprise Car Share since couple of years. In Canada I registered myself with Enterprise car share and was good experience however one day I received an email saying damage of rental car after my rental session, I responded with truth as damage was not done by me, it could be from earlier trip or may be could have happened in Parking lot but they never listened to me, they talk to you rudely and fraudulently charged me for damage which I have not done! I explained their 3rd party recovery service DRU as well as to representer from Enterprise car share that it's not my done however they were not agree to listen any word from me and unexpectedly charge on my Credit card none less but for $1000. This is fraud case done by Enterprise car share, be alert from this company! As they do not listen to you for any complaints.

Betsy New York, NY

I had liked the service until I went to confirm through my app that a reservation I had made 6-weeks in advance for Easter was all set only to see it had disappeared. When I called we also realized that a reservation I had cancelled not only haden't been canceled but they said the car had been driven (which would have required all my info. and a pass card), except I had not driven it. When I asked them to look into it as I was concerned my account was hacked I finally got someone on the phone (after several weeks) who said that they cancelled my membersip as the risk department viewed ME as the problem. So I gues it's a "the customer is always wrong" scenario. They refused to escalate it any further and didn't want to see what they could do to make the situation right. Horrible.

Gabriella Krista Morgan Denver, CO

Honestly Enterprise CarShare is the worst organization, I will never use them again. I was a loyal customer and never had any issues and then one day I get a call telling me there was damage to a car I used and that it was my fault. I explained to them it was not, nothing had occurred, but they proceeded to force me to pay $500 because I hadn't walked around the car before my trip and phoned them to report any damage. So, in addition to paying a lot for the rental (really it's more expensive than uber) I am supposed to take time to phone them before every drive and report damage. And when you complain they told me they don't value me as a customer, that my word and loyalty and good performance didn't matter, and that I should have known better. Truly, a horrible horrible company that only cares about the contract and not about customers.

Tiauna Anderson Salt Lake City, UT

I used Enterprise CarShare regularly when I traveled for business at the beginning of this year and it was always fast, efficient, and the customer service was great! I highly recommend?

Nicole Jones Sandy, UT

I've been a customer of Enterprise for a long time and started using Enterprise CarShare once they implemented the program. I'm happy to report I've had a smooth and pleasant experience every time. Highly recommend!

Alyssa Hansel Tallahassee, FL

Super Convenient, super affordable, great rental place! I've used Enterprise to travel while on vacation and the staff is always super friendly! The cars are always clean and in good driving condition!

JamieD Saratoga Springs, UT

Enterprise has consistently had excellent customer service and they even gave me a discount when there was a small glitch. It wasn’t more than a 5 min inconvenience but they took care of it!

Briauna Norton Jacksonville, FL

Every time I need a rental I use Enterprise and have never had an issue with their service. Love how I am able to pick up a rental in one city and return it in another. Great option for vacations!

Katie Valdosta, GA

We have used Enterprise on several occasions. We appreciate the quick response and convenience. I especially appreciate the military discount and service for military members and their dependents.

Michelle W Coraopolis, PA

I have used Enterprise multiple times when on work trips. They employees are always helpful and ensure that nothing is wrong with the car prior to driving it so not to get charged for damage that was done by someone else.

Brittany Wilkinson Herriman, UT

We had a to rent a car to get to a funeral. The car they provided was better then we expected. We were very pleased with the ease of renting and the customer service we received.

Desi Pleasant Grove, UT

I love Enterprise!! It has a really good deal if you ever need to borrow a car. And the employees there are so kind and nice!! Borrowing a car there makes me excited because I love the cars that I use every time.

Abby Driggs Provo, UT

Traveled to Hawaii for vacation and used enterprise to rent a car for the week. Loved that they let us pick between several cars. I appreciate that the car we used was really new and clean.

Valarie Heaps Lehi, UT

We love using Enterprise car rentals. We have always had great experiences with renting. Go through Robbie F in west valley city. He is very detail oriented and personable.

Nicole Mondares Long Beach, MS

I see them everywhere when I travel. They're always there and I appreciate it. Lots of selections when it comes to cars! Would definitely recommend.

Melodie Peterson Sandy, UT

Enterprise CarShare is an interesting concept and Enterprise is the ideal company to take something on like this. They're great at customer service and always do their best for their customers I really enjoy this service

Jesse Rice Biloxi, MS

Enterprise Car share has always been my go to rental when I'm in Virginia Beach. They had exactly the vehicle I wanted and everything went smooth during the pick up.

Juliann Mecham Managua, MN

I had a great experience with enterprise carshare. It is a company that you can rely and they have great customer service. They are high quality and trust worthy for sure. I would recommend.

Roberson Salt Lake City, UT

I have been renting cars throughout the U.S. for business and regularly use Enterprise. Most recently I picked up a car in San Diego for a few days, customer service was suburb and the car was in good shape.

Hadley heaps Lehi, UT

the west valley city location managed by Robbie F. he is so very helpful and such a joy to rent from. made our experience wonderful. They do a very good job with their work.

kerry perez Orem, UT

I rent enterprise all the time, always been a friendly service for me as i travel alot. Cars are always clean and very nice. They've always accommodated my request when i arrive, never had a bad experience yet!!

Kymberlee Yack Orem, UT

i can't tell you how many times enterprise has saved us when we go on family vacations. i know i can always rely on them for reliable service and a reliable car!

Jani Crawley New York, NY

Great option if you dont own a car. Cars are relatively easy to reserve and use. I wish there were more budget options available. Customer service has been great and easy to work with. Not paying for gas is awesome!

Natalia Correa MDTribe Tallahassee, FL

I used enterprise before and they had amazing customer service. Their prices are also very affordable.

Christina King Pass Christian, MS

I rented from enterprise while having some car trouble. They had my rental ready very quickly and their customer service was great.

Danielle bogie Nashville, TN

First, this company sucks. They have charged me extra for almost every ride I have gone. They also claimed I have not made reservations when I have, so I was left without a car on important occasions. very unorganized and not worth the money. cancelling soon.

Linda Lender Orem, UT

We recently rented a large SUV I saw that our family you could travel in Vermont family they were very very inexpensive the other rentals.

Jessica Eagle Mountain, UT

On our last trip we rented through enterprise. The had excellent customer service and the vehicle was in good condition.

Glen Powell Long Beach, MS

Enterprise has great prices and good quality cars. They back up what they rent. If they make a mistake, they make it right.

Endia Gulfport, MS

Great place to rent a car for a far away trip. My family and I always choose Enterprise to rent vehicles for our family vacations.

Geneve Pierre Fort Lauderdale, FL

Very good car rental company. Always willing to help in any given circumstance that I personally had. As well as AFFORDABLE!

Connor Farmington, UT

Enterprise was extremely easy to use and always are available whenever I want. They are seriously everywhere and are so easy to just hop in and go!

Carter Merrill Pleasant Grove, UT

All of the enterprise employees have been extremely helpful and kind. Not to mention the quality and cleanliness of the cars they rent out! It's a fantastic company.

Zac Marx Brighton, CO

Enterprise was a great deal on our Hawaii trip. We were able to get an affordable and reliable car for a great deal when others were a lot more expensive.

Aliza Henline Provo, UT

I loved using this in college! I felt like it was so expensive- but when you have no other option, it is super nice to have!!

Brenda Spanish Fork, UT

I have rented from enterprise in SPANISH fork Utah. I love enterprise. They are very professional. And I always feel safe in the cars that I rent.

Rochelle Thompson South Jordan, UT

I have used your car rental service many times without any complaints. Good customer service and well kept cars with no issues.

marlene bennett Salt Lake City, UT

We used the enterprise car service after getting in an accident and we had no way to get to a rental facility so enterprise came to us

Shayla Hankins Lehi, UT

Enterprise car share is a great service. I used their service in Hawaii and all of the employees were so kind and patient with me.

Lou Orem, UT

Always have had a positive experience. Nice newer cars that drive well. We usually rent from airport. Work well!

Maryann Renteria (Mckrae) Phoenix, AZ

Enterprise helped me to rent my 4 passenger car while in Arizona. It was affordable and they were great to work with.

Randi Nelson Managua, MN

Enterprise was what we used when staying in Hawaii. The car was not ready when we arrived, so they gave us a free upgrade for the inconvenience

Max Haynie Pleasant Grove, UT

They give out clean and reliable cars with tons of locations so you never have to worry about your returns!

Jeremy Springville, UT

Easy process for renting cars. Processed my reservation quickly and easily. Returning car was a breeze as well.