Enterprise CarShare

Enterprise CarShare Logo

Enterprise CarShare

A reservation-based carshare program for individual and university students

Enterprise CarShare started out as Philly Car Share in 2002 and was later sold to Enterprise Holdings in 2011. They provide quick and cheap car rentals on an hourly and daily basis.

To reserve a car, users simply choose a car on the Enterprise CarShare app. After reserving the car, renters can simply return the vehicle when they have finished with it. All transactions go through the mobile app, for increased convenience. Enterprise CarShare is marketed towards those who do not have a vehicle or who are trying to reduce the number of vehicles on the road.

Application and membership fees differ, depending on your city. Generally, there is a one-time application fee of $15-25 and an annual membership fee of $50, though each area offers different plans, depending on how often you plan to use the service.

On average, there is an hourly rate of $9.50 and a daily rate of $49.99 with an additional cost of $.19 for every mile after the first 200 miles. Gas is included in the rental cost.

Keep reading for pros and cons, plus Enterprise CarShare reviews from real users.

View Best Car Sharing Companies

The Good

• Availability
  • Vehicle Options
  • Mobile App

Availability

Enterprise CarShare is part of the new wave of vehicle sharing, which aims to provide a cost-effective alternative to buying or renting a car. University students seem to be the main focus, as Enterprise has many university locations throughout the US. Enterprise CarShare is available for individuals to use in 15 cities, but has a wider reach on college campuses, covering about 100 campus locations in 32 states.

Along with many available locations, some university programs allow students as young as 18 to join. Most traditional rental car companies, depending on the state, restrict rental access to drivers age 21 and over.

View US Car Sharing Providers By Location

Vehicle Options

Enterprise promises new, clean vehicles. Available vehicle models vary by location. To see what is available at a location near you, search for your city on the website or mobile app. Enterprise CarShare offers the following vehicle options:

• Hybrids
  • Electric models
  • Pick-up trucks
  • Fuel-efficient sedans

Mobile App

Enterprise operates through an app, making it a convenient way to rent for those with smartphones or mobile devices. Additionally, Enterprise has a host of environmentally friendly vehicles, so drivers can rent with a clean conscience. It is available in many university locations, making it a convenient choice for students who do not own their own cars. Gas is included in the rental cost, which means one less thing to deal with for renters! To reserve an Enterprise car, register for membership on the website or mobile app. After registration, users can reserve cars on their mobile device. All payment goes through the app, so when the rental period is over, users may simply return the car.

The Bad

• Insurance
  • Service Limitations & Fees

Waiting Period

Insurance coverage varies by location. One thing that differs from several other car share options is the additional, optional insurance and damage waiver. Where other hourly car rental options just roll insurance into your rental price, or charge a $1 fee per rental, with Enterprise, you have to review your options and decide whether you want to select the extra insurance option or waive the coverage.

Service Limitations & Fees

Enterprise charges an annual membership fee, one-time application fee, plus your hourly or daily rental rate. They also charge a $50 late fee, plus an unknown hourly rate. Users can drive 200 miles with an Enterprise CarShare car. More than that will cost you $.35 per mile. Customers can reserve Enterprise CarShare cars for 1 hour to 7 days.

Waiting Period

Once you sign up for Enterprise CarShare, you have to wait for your membership card to arrive in the mail before you can actually rent a vehicle. The card is used to unlock your car, so you will need to plan a bit in advance of your first rental.

The Bottom Line

If you have a CarShare location nearby and you are looking for an alternative to buying a car, Enterprise is a good choice. You may end up paying a little more than with other services, but with Enterprise, you will be assured of a quality vehicle.

By using Enterprise CarShare, renters can help decrease the number of vehicles on the road as well as their own car-related expenses over time. It is worth looking into for those that live in select cities or near a college campus.

View Best Car Sharing Companies

3.7

Betsy
May 2nd, 2019 New York, NY DETAILS

I had liked the service until I went to confirm through my app that a reservation I had made 6-weeks in advance for Easter was all set only to see it had disappeared. When I called we also realized that a reservation I had cancelled not only haden't been canceled but they said the car had been driven (which would have required all my info. and a pass card), except I had not driven it. When I asked them to look into it as I was concerned my account was hacked I finally got someone on the phone (after several weeks) who said that they cancelled my membersip as the risk department viewed ME as the problem. So I gues it's a "the customer is always wrong" scenario. They refused to escalate it any further and didn't want to see what they could do to make the situation right. Horrible.

Abby Driggs
April 1st, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

Traveled to Hawaii for vacation and used enterprise to rent a car for the week. Loved that they let us pick between several cars. I appreciate that the car we used was really new and clean.

Rochelle Thompson
February 13th, 2019 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

I have used your car rental service many times without any complaints. Good customer service and well kept cars with no issues.

marlene bennett
February 12th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

We used the enterprise car service after getting in an accident and we had no way to get to a rental facility so enterprise came to us

JR Suguturaga
February 12th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

Great customer service and you have variety of vehicles to choose from. Easy process

Kent
February 5th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS

I travel several times a year and have used Enterprise many times. I find them to be easy to deal with.

Hadley heaps
February 5th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS

the west valley city location managed by Robbie F. he is so very helpful and such a joy to rent from. made our experience wonderful. They do a very good job with their work.

Valarie Heaps
February 4th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS

We love using Enterprise car rentals. We have always had great experiences with renting. Go through Robbie F in west valley city. He is very detail oriented and personable.

kerry perez
February 4th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

I rent enterprise all the time, always been a friendly service for me as i travel alot. Cars are always clean and very nice. They've always accommodated my request when i arrive, never had a bad experience yet!!

nathan brewer
February 1st, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS

I recently had my truck break down right before a family vacation where I was supposed to be taking the dirtbikes. I called Enterprise the day before our trip and they were able to get us a Nice new Dodge 1500. I liked the truck so much I sold my truck as soon as it was repaired and went and bought one just like it.

Shayla Hankins
January 16th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS

Enterprise car share is a great service. I used their service in Hawaii and all of the employees were so kind and patient with me.

Kymberlee Yack
January 16th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

i can't tell you how many times enterprise has saved us when we go on family vacations. i know i can always rely on them for reliable service and a reliable car!

Jani Crawley
June 12th, 2018 New York, NY

Great option if you dont own a car. Cars are relatively easy to reserve and use. I wish there were more budget options available. Customer service has been great and easy to work with. Not paying for gas is awesome!

Sadie Scoville
June 5th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Enterprise is awful. We had to rent a car and I was sitting there for an hour and a half. They make it so complicated and they took away the fun thing that we had planned for the day and we didn't get to do it again.

Gabriella Krista Morgan
September 30th, 2016 Denver, CO

Honestly Enterprise CarShare is the worst organization, I will never use them again. I was a loyal customer and never had any issues and then one day I get a call telling me there was damage to a car I used and that it was my fault. I explained to them it was not, nothing had occurred, but they proceeded to force me to pay $500 because I hadn't walked around the car before my trip and phoned them to report any damage. So, in addition to paying a lot for the rental (really it's more expensive than uber) I am supposed to take time to phone them before every drive and report damage. And when you complain they told me they don't value me as a customer, that my word and loyalty and good performance didn't matter, and that I should have known better. Truly, a horrible horrible company that only cares about the contract and not about customers.

Danielle bogie
November 16th, 2015 Nashville, TN

First, this company sucks. They have charged me extra for almost every ride I have gone. They also claimed I have not made reservations when I have, so I was left without a car on important occasions. very unorganized and not worth the money. cancelling soon.