Car2Go

0.5

Since 2008, Car2Go has been providing an alternative for traditionally rented cars. Patrons who don’t have a car, but need to get from point A to B can rent a car for minutes, hours, or even daily. Car2Go cars are parked throughout serviced areas, so renters can pick up a car near them whenever they need it. A membership card and PIN number gives them access to the vehicle, and a ratings/review system helps to keep the cars looking clean and professional. Car2Go compact cars are part of an ever-growing industry of car sharing.

#1 Turo Logo Turo ›

6.5

Overall
Score

#2 Uber Logo Uber ›

5.8

Overall
Score

#3 Lyft Logo Lyft ›

5.4

Overall
Score

#10 Car2Go Logo Car2Go

0.5

Overall
Score

The Good

• Simple process
  • Insurance
  • Mini-vehicles

Car2Go has cars all over, so users can reserve a car 30 minutes in advance, or they can just go to an available Car2Go vehicle near them. Cars open with a special membership card. A PIN is entered to access the vehicle, and then renters can access the navigation and keys. When drivers are finished, they can simply park the car in an approved designated parking spot in their area. Reservations can be made on the Car2Go app or website.

Car2Go has a great system for giving members access to vehicles quickly. While registering might take longer than with other car sharing companies, the ability to access available cars with a simple membership card is a convenient perk. Additionally, the ability to end rental times without returning the car to its original location (users park the cars in approved areas instead) cuts down on rental time, and is just convenient. Because of the app, reserving a car is convenient as well, so renters can gain access to their ride quickly.

Every member of Car2Go is covered by insurance during the rental period:

• Liability Insurance
  • Collision/Comprehensive Insurance
  • Uninsured Motorist Insurance

Personal Injury Protection is not covered by Car2Go. Insurance details vary by state. The deductible is $1,000. Unlike many other ride-sharing companies, Car2Go does not have any late fees.

Car2Go offers compact mini-vehicles throughout the city. Car2Go has a ratings and reviews system in place to make sure that all cars are adequately neat and clean. This monitoring effort helps renters to have a positive experience.

The Bad

• Rates
  • Mileage limits

While Car2Go offers rates by minute, hour, and day, it does not have the cheapest hourly or daily rates on the market. Additionally, Car2Go cars don't come in many varieties, so those who are looking to ride in style might be disappointed. Finally, while it is certainly not the only company to do this, Car2Go charges a one-time start up fee, which some other companies don't require. This start up fee might be less appealing to renters who will not use the service very often.

Car2Go has no annual fees or deposits, but charges a $1 Driver Protection Fee for the first 90 trips of a year (beginning June 1, 2015). To rent a car costs $14.99/hour or $84.99/day (plus tax). There is a one-time sign up fee of $35. Car2Go includes the following services as part of the overall charges:

• Gas
  • GPS
  • In-car assistance
  • Roadside assistance

Car2Go cars are allotted 150 miles per day. Exceeding this amount will result in a $.45 charge per mile. We could not find a limited to the number of days you can rent a car with Car2Go.

The Bottom Line

For those who will use the service somewhat often, who are in a location with many Car2Go vehicles, and for who are looking for convenience over style, Car2Go is a solid car sharing option. Using it often justifies the start-up fee, and living in a Car2Go-heavy location makes this service worth the investment over time. Those who would like to use Car2Go will be able to do so in the following U.S. cities:

• Austin
  • Columbus
  • Denver
  • Los Angeles
  • Miami
  • Twin Cities
  • New York City
  • Portland
  • San Diego
  • Seattle
  • Washington, D.C.

It is also offered in the following international locations:

• Amsterdam
  • Toronto
  • Vancouver
  • Vienna

October 10th, 2017

I have been renting from Car to go for about a year. The past three times I have rented the care has been low on fuel, requiring me to go to a gas station and pay out of pocket for gas although that is supposed to be included in the fees. Yesterday, I rented a car--again low on gas. It ran out of gas on the way to the station. The car couldn't be pushed to the side of the road, so I was forced to put on hazards and sit on a busy road while I tried to contact the Car 2 Go staff. They offered conflicting and unhelpful suggestions--such as put it in reverse and try to back up--recall I'm on a very busy street with a lot of traffic. It was unsafe to get out of the car, let alone try to reverse it into busy traffic. A police officer arrived and called for a tow truck. The customer service rep couldn't tell me what I was to do--end the rental, stay with the car, or leave the car. I left the car. I later asked for a waiver of the rental fee, Car 2 Go told me "You will be responsible for the rental invoice as the rental was successfully used before the vehicle ran out of fuel due to negligence." This is blatantly ridiculous. Rent me a car without enough gas, then charge me for it when I run out of gas, AND call me negligent? I am canceling my car 2 go account and will strongly denounce them to anyone who is seeking a car sharing company.

September 12th, 2017

really bad experience, they offered me free minutes to try, then they made me pay with a trick! Thieves

August 28th, 2017 Portland, OR

We constantly get these cars parked on our street or in front of our house and sometime for weeks on end. This is ridiculous! So frustrated with this company and their cars staying in one place for weeks and the company doesn't even car about what it does to anyone except themselves! I wish they would ensure the cars would be moved in a timely basis.