Car2Go

Car2Go Logo

Car2Go

Rent Smart Fortwo and Mercedes-Benz Cars by the Day, Hour, or Minute

As a subsidiary of the Daimler car company, Car2Go has been offering Mercedes-Benz and Smart Fortwo cars for easy-access rental since 2008. Patrons who don’t have a car, but need to get from point A to B can rent a car for minutes, hours, or even the full day.

Car2Go cars are parked throughout service areas, so renters can pick up a car near them whenever they need it. A membership card and PIN number provide access to vehicles, while a ratings/review system helps to keep the cars looking clean and professional. Fees include insurance and a prepaid gas card. Car2Go cars are part of an ever-growing industry of car sharing.

Keep reading for pros and cons, plus Car2Go reviews from real users.

View Best Car Sharing Companies

Turo Logo Turo ›

6.7

Overall
Score

Enterprise CarShare Logo Enterprise CarShare ›

5.9

Overall
Score

Uber Logo Uber ›

5.2

Overall
Score

Car2Go Logo Car2Go ›

Insufficient
Reviews

The Good

• Simple Rental Process
  • Insurance
  • No Late Fees
  • Ratings and Reviews
  • New Collaboration

Simple Rental Process

Car2Go has cars all over, so users can reserve a car 30 minutes in advance, or they can just go to an available Car2Go vehicle near them. Cars open with a special membership card. A PIN is entered to unlock the car, and then renters can access the navigation and keys. When drivers are finished, they can simply park the car in an approved designated parking spot in their area. Reservations can be made on the Car2Go app or website.

Car2Go has a great system for giving members access to vehicles quickly. While registering might take longer than with other car sharing companies, the ability to access available cars with a simple membership card is a convenient perk.

Additionally, the ability to end rental times without returning the car to its original location (users park the cars in approved areas instead) cuts down on rental time and is just convenient. The mobile app makes reserving and renting a car convenient, so renters can gain access to their ride quickly.

Insurance

Every member of Car2Go is covered by insurance during the rental period:

• Liability Insurance
  • Collision/Comprehensive Insurance
  • Uninsured Motorist Insurance

Personal Injury Protection is not by Car2Go. Insurance details vary by state. The deductible is $1,000.

No Late Fees

Unlike many other ride-sharing companies, Car2Go does not have any late fees for returning from a trip later than expected.

Ratings and Reviews

The Car2Go app has a ratings and reviews system in place to make sure that all cars in the fleet are adequately neat and clean. This monitoring effort helps renters to have a positive experience.

New Collaboration

Car2Go is partnering with BMW’s DriveNow service to form Share Now. This was announced in February 2019. More details to come.

The Bad

• Rates
  • Mileage Limits

Rates

While Car2Go offers rates by the minute, hour, and day, it does not have the cheapest hourly or daily rates on the market.

Car2Go is a Daimler company. Only Mercedes and Smart fortwo models are available. Finally, while it is certainly not the only company to do this, Car2Go charges a one-time $5 application fee, which some other companies don't require.

Car2Go has no annual or monthly fees, but charges a $1 Driver Protection Fee for the first 90 trips of a year.

Rental rates vary but start at an hourly rate of $15+ and a daily rate of $80+, depending on the model. Car2Go fees include the following services:

• Gas card
  • GPS
  • Parking (Rules vary by city)

Mileage Limits

Car2Go rental cars are allotted 150 miles per day. Exceeding this amount will result in a $.45 charge per mile. We could not find a limit to the number of days you can rent a car with Car2Go.

Each trip must start and end within a designated Home Area.

The Bottom Line

For customers that use the sharing service somewhat often, who are in a location with many Car2Go vehicles, and for who are looking for convenience over style, Car2Go is a solid car sharing option.

Consistently using the sharing service often justifies the initial membership fee, and living in a Car2Go-heavy location makes this service worth the investment over time.

Residents and visitors can drive a Car2Go rental car in the following U.S. locations:

• Austin
  • Chicago
  • Denver
  • New York City
  • Portland
  • Seattle
  • Washington, D.C.

View Best Car Sharing Companies

Mary Jane Maxwell
April 22nd, 2019 Washington, DC DETAILS

Car2Go in DC deliberately provides vague and disingenuous rules and policies around parking tickets because ALL parking spots in DC are either: 1) metered; 2) zoned for residential parking with a 2 hr limit; 3) restricted time during rush hours. If DC parking cops feel like ticketing a Car2Go, which they regularly do, the last driver pays for the ticket. Car2Go has yet to work out a deal with DC city parking enforcement, and customers are regularly burned as a result. Not worth the risk.

Nadia
April 22nd, 2019 New York, NY DETAILS

New to car2go and had awful experience: - 1st car: Didn't even move the car as the hand break was pulled up so hard I could not get it to unlock. After calling customer service, I was told to find a different car. I was charged for the rental and never refunded. Despite multiple calls and e-mails - 2nd car: Noticed that car drove funny but didn't think anything about it. After driving 45 minutes outside the city, a light appeared on the dashboard, saying that the ABS system was inactive. After stopping at a gas station and talking to a customer representative, I was told to drive it back to the city as this issue could impact the breaking. You can imagine my stress level. Not only was I afraid to drive the car back, but it also took me 45 minutes to get the nearest car. This resulted with us missing our daughter's soccer game. I was also told that I would get a "significant credit" for all my troubles. Instead, I was charged again and never refunded, despite multiple calls and e-mails. This company's customer service is absolutely awful and not worth the trouble.

wren
April 2nd, 2019 Portland, OR DETAILS

i like the idea and it is super helpful but the customer service is unbelievably terrible. I've actually never dealt with more unhelpful representatives, and that is saying a lot because I do insurance billing. car to go is actually worse then health insurance claims. I've been locked out of my account and trying to get it going for three weeks. I am too tired to go into the details of all the problems with it- they didn't even send me an email telling me my account was blocked so I ended up stranded. They don't answer their customer service emails. I'm trying to look on the bright side- its better for me to just get on my bike and save the money. I can't support a company that is this hard to deal with.

Danni
February 26th, 2019 Chicago, IL DETAILS

I rented from car2go about 3 weeks ago, at first it was all fine & dandy because the car was foreign, nice and clean. but when my time was up I was very confused as to where to park the car. at first there was a park near my home so I parked there and then the app started to give me trouble so I reached out to customer service the customer service representative that was on the phone was very uneducated and made it very unclear on what I should do, I had to repeat myself to her more than five times (which obviously stalled more and more time because the more time i waste the more money i owe) she finally told me that the closest park is almost 10 miles away from my home which was very very inconvenient for me, so I had to tag along my mother and then we drove very far to park the car and then we had to call a Lyft just to take us all the way back home. when I was done i checked to see how much I owed they told me I owed almost $100 this app Car2Go is very very expensive I wouldn't even recommend it. I will recommend Avis or Enterprise any day over Car2Go. Fast forward to today I happen to check my car 2 go account and they informed me that I owe an outstanding balance so I need to reach out to customer service. I called customer service today and the lady told me that I owed an outstanding balance of $89 I asked her how do I owe an outstanding balance when the money was already there in my account the day that I parked the car at its home, she informed me that they did not know I had money in my account, she asked me to verify the last four digits of my credit card number I told her "NO" and then I hung up the phone and canceled out my car2go account I would not ever recommend this app to anyone else. They suck!

Sabrina donohue
February 14th, 2019 Portland, OR DETAILS

Have used car2go a few times and didn’t have any major complaints, nice cars, typically convenient and cheap. However, I got locked out of my account for insufficient funds, but when I called to get it cleared up, they said it would take 3-5 days for the process to go through. 2 weeks later I have called and emailed and nobody has fixed the problem or even tried. Awful customer service and they obviously don’t care about keeping customers or making money

Dasha Tsybulnik
May 29th, 2018 Austin, TX DETAILS

This is the most expensive option for getting around town. You're advertising for them driving too, and they treat their customers terribly. Was with a friend driving. Had an issue with the car so we pulled over. Closed out the rental. Called customer service about the issue to which they said they'd escalate it to member services and then LOCKED THE ACCOUNT. For no reason they locked us out of the car and we couldn't rerent. We were also in the middle of nowhere, off the highway and it was 101 degrees. They never told us just calling to ask questions would lock the account. We called back and after 7 min on hold we're told nothing they can do, account is automatically locked when there's a claim on an account.. Also they knew it was hot and we were stranded from the first call and were never told that the account would get locked and that we could rerent. Crazy experience. I was shocked. Will never rent ever again

Sheana Bull
October 11th, 2017

I have been renting from Car to go for about a year. The past three times I have rented the care has been low on fuel, requiring me to go to a gas station and pay out of pocket for gas although that is supposed to be included in the fees. Yesterday, I rented a car--again low on gas. It ran out of gas on the way to the station. The car couldn't be pushed to the side of the road, so I was forced to put on hazards and sit on a busy road while I tried to contact the Car 2 Go staff. They offered conflicting and unhelpful suggestions--such as put it in reverse and try to back up--recall I'm on a very busy street with a lot of traffic. It was unsafe to get out of the car, let alone try to reverse it into busy traffic. A police officer arrived and called for a tow truck. The customer service rep couldn't tell me what I was to do--end the rental, stay with the car, or leave the car. I left the car. I later asked for a waiver of the rental fee, Car 2 Go told me "You will be responsible for the rental invoice as the rental was successfully used before the vehicle ran out of fuel due to negligence." This is blatantly ridiculous. Rent me a car without enough gas, then charge me for it when I run out of gas, AND call me negligent? I am canceling my car 2 go account and will strongly denounce them to anyone who is seeking a car sharing company.

Alberto
September 14th, 2017

really bad experience, they offered me free minutes to try, then they made me pay with a trick! Thieves

Amy
August 28th, 2017 Portland, OR

We constantly get these cars parked on our street or in front of our house and sometime for weeks on end. This is ridiculous! So frustrated with this company and their cars staying in one place for weeks and the company doesn't even car about what it does to anyone except themselves! I wish they would ensure the cars would be moved in a timely basis.