What is known today as Kelley Blue Book (KBB)—first started in 1926—has origins dating back to 1918. The company gets its name from founder Les Kelley, who launched the initial enterprise under the name Kelley Kar Company. The enterprise was a car dealership with Model T Ford vehicles for sale.

Kelley collected raw data from his business operations with other dealers and banks, publishing the information for public consumption in the first Kelley Blue Book in 1926. This book became a standard guide in the automotive trade for determining car value.

By the 1960s, the company moved from a car dealership to a specialty publisher, focusing on the production of its automobile pricing guides.

The company details current market value and ranges for every type of new or used vehicle available on the market. Kelley Blue Book also provides dealer invoice pricing for new cars and trade-in values for used cars. Website visitors to kbb.com can also find expert and consumer reviews, safety ratings, and detailed 5-year Cost-to-Own data, as well as the opportunity to sell their car with an on-site ad listing.

Read on for pros and cons, plus Kelley Blue Book reviews from real users.

#1 CarGurus chevron_right
2.9
#3 CarFax chevron_right

The Good

• Blue Book Values
  • Free Tools & Services
  • Expert Reviews & Lists
  • Pricing Package Options

Blue Book Values

Kelley Blue Book's most significant feature allows owners to determine what their vehicle is worth, called Blue Book Value. All it requires is the make, model, mileage, model year, and relative condition to find the car's value. Car pricing is fast, free and requires just a few clicks to get the results.

Kelly Blue Book values are a go-to feature for both car buyers and sellers, whether going through a dealership or selling directly. The Blue Book values are the gold standard for determining vehicle valuation in the automotive market, allowing all parties, when buying or selling, to be informed and prepared to negotiate accordingly.

For new automobiles, KBB also provides information about a car's suggested retail price (the manufacturer’s suggested retail price, or MSRP) and the dealer invoice price.

For used cars, KBB provides retail value, certified pre-owned value, trade-in price, private party value, and an instant cash offer if you are looking to quickly sell your car to a local dealer.

Instant cash offers are to be redeemed with a participating dealer, pending inspection and appraisal.

Free Tools & Services

When the Kelley Blue Book website was launched in 1995, it charged consumers $3.95 for a pricing report. The backlash was almost instantaneous. Customers insisted that online information should be free. In response, KBB did just that, offering a list of free pricing tools and services for both car shoppers and dealers.

Here are a few of the company's no-cost features/tools that stand out:

Free Dealer Price Quote. With the car make, model and zip code, users can find out the going sales price for any vehicle offered by car dealers.

Five-year cost-to-own. Helps prospective buyers to prepare for new car ownership by configuring the hidden costs over a five year period. These hidden costs are fuel economy, state fees, financing, maintenance, repairs, and insurance. Once the hidden costs have been calculated, it then allows buyers to compare and contrast those costs between different vehicles.

Next, it calculates the loss in value-what the car is worth in five years, adding the two together to determine the cost to own. This especially comes in handy when comparing cars of the same market price, since the cost to own can be the deciding factor of which car is more expensive.

Autocheck vehicle history report. Kelley Blue Book is best known for this feature along with the ability to determine the going rate of a car's market value. Autocheck is a partner with Kelley Blue Book, helping prospective used car buyers do background research on a used or pre-owned vehicle to determine the vehicle's history. This feature helps buyers avoid pitfalls by finding any accident reports, criminal activity or unreported title brands.

Expert Reviews & Lists

Kelley Blue Book also offers expert and consumer vehicle reviews and ratings. Kbb.com also features numerous awards and top 10 lists.

Bonus services include credit checks, car insurance information, and vehicle history reports.

Pricing Package Options

If you are selling a car, there are four different packages for placing a used car ad on Kelley Blue Book. Available packages are dependent on your location, but basic options are:

• The basic package runs for 4 weeks with 5 photos for $20.
  • The upgraded advertising package runs for 8 weeks with 10 photos for $30.
  • A combo package that includes an ad listed on Autotrader.com with 15 photos costs $60.
  • Another combo package without the listing on Autotrader.com may be available depending on where you live for $40-$50.

The Bad

• Listing Feature Could Be Better
  • Poor Mobile Apps
  • Customer Complaints

Listing Feature Could Be Better

Looking up car listings on KBB.com has one feature that could be improved: the cars should be listed separately, as both are currently mixed together. This occurs throughout the site and can be tedious at best and confusing at worst.

Poor Mobile Apps

As highly regarded as the KBB website is, the iPhone and iPad apps fall way short of its expectations. With only a one star rating, customers have more than their share of negative feedback. A few harsh critiques:

The app is extremely slow and can lag or jump around. For instance, when selecting the choice of car, it will jump back to various different prompt screens (what make of car, body style, etc.) and then return to the screen you're supposed to be on.

Since they redesigned the app, the ease of use has become intolerable compared to the previous version. It now takes longer to view your desired car due to the additional steps to get to the car.

The Android app isn't much better. With only three stars, it is riddled with the same issues as the Apple version.

Customer Complaints

Customers complain that it takes way too long to find what they are looking for—along with a myriad of technical issues. Regarding these app issues, being that many car dealers use this app, it would behoove KBB to fix any bugs or technical issues to maintain good relationships and continued trust in their brand. The standard Blue Book Value feature is fast and easy; however, clicking through to the results can be a bit confusing, as the page is very crowded and one has to scroll down to finally see the price chart for the specified vehicle. The page could be made cleaner with fewer components.

The Bottom Line

Kelley Blue Book has been a trusted resource for car buyers, private sellers, and dealers for many decades and continues to be today. It is an easy, fast way to find out how much your current vehicle is worth if you are looking to sell your car, and how much any car is worth if you are buying and want to make sure that you are getting a fair purchase price. KBB's reputation speaks for itself in this regard.

However, the company should work on improving their apps-especially since many car dealers use them along with making their blue book value results page cleaner for better visibility.

View Best Car Finder Companies

Mike Smith

October 7th, 2019 Austin, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Kelley Blue book is a great reliable service for assessing the value of a car and reading reviews.

Kevin Corrick

August 21st, 2019 Gainesville, GA

Do not use this KBB service for any offers for them to buy your vehicle, it's a complete waste of your time WAY WAY low your could get more if you sold your car for scrap. I have a 2000 jeep Wrangler they offered 5100.00 what a joke.

Mazi Marcel Womack

July 20th, 2019 Cedar City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Kelly Blue Book is the best website out there. Their website is so easy to use and people friendly.

Chloe Adams

July 10th, 2019 Morgan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I used Kelly blue book to sell and purchase my last two cars! My experience has been great and the process is simple. They guarantee the best price!

matthew

June 16th, 2019 Logan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've used kelley blue book a couples of times to decide if i should buy a vehicle or not and it is pretty accurate on what the price is

Anna Lower

June 15th, 2019 Saint George, UT

Good information about cars, has helped me when I was looking for a vehicle to buy

S

June 11th, 2019 Logan, UT

Super helpful When selling your car, also when buying from a private store couldn’t do it without Kelly

Ken Francis

June 11th, 2019 Provo, UT

It has helped me to find the value of my vehicle and to compare several ones that i am looking at. I like it.

Jacob Shaner

June 9th, 2019

My family often buys used cars and we use Kelley Blue Book all the time. We are very impressed by the listings on the website as well as the reasonable pricing available to users.

Isaac

June 8th, 2019 Kaysville, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I just sold one of our cars and I wouldn’t have known what it was worth with our Kelley blue book. This helped me save time on doing some research and helped me list the car fast and easy.

Christine Farmer

June 6th, 2019 Littleton, CO

Kelley Blue Book is our go to website to value our cars to decide if they are worth fixing or if it's time to move on. Also, to give us a basis for a price to sell OR to buy a used car. The reviews available are very well written and helpful. You can also view used cars for sale and I like how those are presented. One thing they show on the intro page is the exterior and interior color--this is nice for me because I care about the interior color and on most sites I have to click on that car to find the interior color, so it saves search time for me to have that noted on the scrolling page. Very useful site!

Sarah

May 28th, 2019 Kaysville, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I always use Kelley blue book when I’m selling or buying a car and it is so helpful to get a range of what prices should be.

Reese

May 17th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have used Kelley Blue Book many times to look for cars and see what is out there. They are a trusted name that is always a good indication of what the price should be. It also can be customized to meet my search requirements. It is the one I trust the most.

Tate Huber

May 3rd, 2019 Mesa, AZ

I always use Kelly Blue Book when looking to buy or sell a car. Great information.

Aaron Paxman

February 13th, 2019 Lehi, UT

I recently bought a truck and I used Kelley Blue book to aid me in getting the best deal possible. I found the truck I wanted and the seller was asking way too much and I was able to get the price to come down due to Kelley Blue Book. Website is very user friendly and getting the value of a vehicle was very easy to do.

RamaJean Christensen

February 4th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

There website is very easy to use and very helpful when you are selling a car. Very easy to read

Tanner Cook

December 15th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Kelley blue book is my first go-to resource when buying vehicles. Cars are investments and this tool makes it easy for me to make those investments properly. Always know what your car is worth!

Fernando Delgado

December 5th, 2018 Tempe, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This is really helpful towards how much worth I should be valuing my car before going to the dealership to do a trade or know around how much you should put your car for sale.

Katie Kearney

November 29th, 2018 Vienna, VA

I used Kelly Blue Book a lot when I was selling my car. I really enjoy the fact you can add a lot of detail into your features and get a great range of what your car is worth. It made it a lot easier when listing a price. I will definitely continue to use it in the future

Eric

November 16th, 2018 San Diego, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Kelly Blue Book helped me buy my last car. Its not that I found the car through them but the site allowed me to know the value of the used car I was buying. Thanks to Kelly Blue Book I got the car for a few hundred bucks under market value.

Kathie Bowman

November 15th, 2018 Lakeside, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Kelly blue book helped us when we were shopping for a used car. We almost bought a car but before I wanted to check the KBB. good thing I did because the car was way over priced so we backed out. if it wasn't for KBB we would of probably got the car and been upside down

Hannah Cummins

August 1st, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Kelley Blue Book is always easy to use and an absolute must when car shopping. It gives great information that will help you in choosing a great car.

Sara Jane

July 24th, 2018 Crestwood, KY

Kelley is the standard for understanding car value. The site is a little difficult to navigate at first. The detail it requires is a lot. But once you get through that it is a wealth of information.

Cody Linden

July 23rd, 2018 Lehi, UT

Very helpful for getting further details on cars before making a decision. Easy website to use as well with useful filtering options.

Tanner Hales

July 23rd, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I always use KBB before buying or selling any car. Their estimates always give me a good ballpark idea on what a fair price is for any vehicle. I will never purchase a car without using it.

Anna Hu

July 22nd, 2018 Provo, UT

Recently needed to both sell and buy a car. Kelly Blue Book was the main driver between setting our prices, and was very easy and convenient to use. Very reliable and trustable to know the actual value for our cars.

Boston Whipple

July 17th, 2018 Provo, UT

Kelley Blue Book is a must if you are buying or selling a car. The pricing tool gives competitive prices for the make and model in your area. I have used it while buying and selling cars.

Rob Whipple

July 16th, 2018 Mesa, AZ

Used KBB for the purchase or sale of all of my vehicles. Helps me understand more about the vehicle and gives a good ball park of the value.

Alicia Holman

June 22nd, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Very user friendly and seems to be very informative. I don't like that it links to dealerships pretty quickly, but I know that's a way for them to get money. I wish it was a little more detailed as I do think there are more items that go on cars, but it's a minor detail.

J Crawley

June 4th, 2018 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I can depend on KBB for reliable information when I'm buying and selling cars. KBB's website is user-friendly and provides meaningful information for my needs.

L. Fowler

May 30th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I use this service whenever am going to purchase a car. It is very helpful in estimating the value of my car or the car I am purchasing.

H Moore

May 26th, 2018 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Our family has relied on the Kelley Blue Book to buy and sell cars.

Tom

May 25th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Whenever I have a question about the value of my car I go to Kelly Blue Book. They are the source for up to date information.

Samantha

May 3rd, 2018 Millville, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Makes it so easy to find a car online and to be able to compare pricing!

K Robison

April 28th, 2018 Layton, UT

Blue book is useful for looking for cars and for selling them. It shows you how much the car is worth and that is very helpful.

Dallin Smith

April 24th, 2018 Kaysville, UT

Kelley Blue Book is the standard for Car pricing. I trust them and will always use it when buying or selling a car.

Schon

April 24th, 2018 Smithfield, UT

I use KBB often and have been able to negotiate good prices for vehicles for either buying or selling.

Larry Hawker

April 24th, 2018 Las Vegas, NV DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have relied on your service for years and have now taught my sons how to get good information from Kelley either before buying or selling a car. What an invaluable service you provide!

Erin Rhoton

April 21st, 2018 Veguita, NM DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I used Kelley Blue Book when I was searching for a used car. I really trusted their opinion when valuing cars I was looking at.

Jeff Martin

April 19th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great way to find correct prices for cars. I make sure to always check the blue book value before making any decisions. Great and accurate resource.

Andrea Smith

April 16th, 2018 Idaho Falls, ID DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have used Kelley Blue Book whenever we are comparing prices and options on cars. It gives a reliable value on what a car is worth and how to effectively price a car when you're ready to sell.

Michael

April 15th, 2018 Ogden, UT

Makes buying a used car a lot easier. Kbb

Sandy

April 14th, 2018 Seaside, OR

My husband references this all the time because he is a car dealer. Very helpful.

Anne Marie Milne

April 12th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Always use Kelley Blue Book before buying or selling a car. Makes it a lot easier to know what your car is worth and how to price it. Same goes for buying other cars! Don't buy or sell a car without looking into Blue Book!

Nathan

April 7th, 2018 Layton, UT

I think they do a really good job at telling you what your car is worth and even if you want to find out what another car is worth.

Trent

April 7th, 2018 Provo, UT

I really like using Kelly Blue Book. It's easy to use and I can always check the real value of cars to compare to advertised prices. I have never had any problems with the service, so I would recommend it.

Landon Robison

April 7th, 2018 Layton, UT

I use Kelley Blue Book every time I buy or sell a car. It is fast and easy to use and has helped me significantly with all my car buying and selling needs.

Tom Warrenburg

February 7th, 2018 Wisconsin Rapids, WI

Valuations are inaccurate and fluctuate too much. Let me preface by saying I spent 15 years in the car business so I understand that values change. Recently however I was selling my diesel Ford truck. I listed it last fall once with no luck on a couple of sites. KBB valued it then at around $14,100 for good condition. I listed it again about 2 weeks ago and ran the KBB. Good had dropped to $13,155 as I would expect after a few months. A couple of weeks after I listed it, I had a person call me and ask me if I was interested in trading for his car. I booked his car and it was worth around $7,000. I told him I might consider but how much was he willing to spend. He told me even up! He said he KBB'd my truck and it was valued at $7,500. I went back to KBB (2 weeks mind you) after my $13,155 valuation and sure enough $7,531. I emailed KBB about the error and got their expected scripted answer of "values fluctuate". I replied (with no response) that in my 15 years in the car business I never saw a value fluctuate $6,000 in 2 weeks time. Bottom line, people rely too much on these valuation sites for them to get it wrong! The seller can get screwed as I am or the buyer can also depending on which way it goes. My advice for car shoppers is compare all of the valuation sites and price shop several dealers. The market sets the price, not a book. Unfortunately the book is supposed to get the market numbers right!!!

Dr. Callahan

December 25th, 2017 Bloomington, IN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Requires that you remove ad blocker. If you do, Kelley allows advertisers to contact you , email, spam. We now longer use Kelley.

Lindsey

December 9th, 2017 American Fork, UT

This is a reliable website to make sure what car you're buying is a fair price.