Kelley Blue Book Logo

Kelley Blue Book

Is This Your Business?

8.5

What is known today as Kelley Blue Book (KBB)—first started in 1926—has origins dating back to 1918. The company gets its name from founder Les Kelley, who launched the initial enterprise under the name Kelley Kar Company. The enterprise was a car dealership with Model T Ford vehicles for sale.

Kelley collected raw data from his business operations with other dealers and banks, publishing the information for public consumption in the first Kelley Blue Book in 1926. This book became a standard guide in the automotive trade for determining car value.

By the 1960s, the company moved from a car dealership to a specialty publisher, focusing on the production of its automobile pricing guides.

The company details current market value and ranges for every type of new or used vehicle available on the market. Kelley Blue Book also provides dealer invoice pricing for new cars and trade-in values for used cars. Website visitors to kbb.com can also find expert and consumer reviews, safety ratings, and detailed 5-year Cost-to-Own data, as well as the opportunity to sell their car with an on-site ad listing.

Read on for pros and cons, plus Kelley Blue Book reviews from real users.

CarGurus Logo
#1 CarGurus chevron_right
2.9
CarFax Logo
#3 CarFax chevron_right
CarMax Logo
#4 CarMax chevron_right
3.7

The Good

• Blue Book Values
  • Free Tools & Services
  • Expert Reviews & Lists
  • Pricing Package Options

Blue Book Values

Kelley Blue Book's most significant feature allows owners to determine what their vehicle is worth, called Blue Book Value. All it requires is the make, model, mileage, model year, and relative condition to find the car's value. Car pricing is fast, free and requires just a few clicks to get the results.

Kelly Blue Book values are a go-to feature for both car buyers and sellers, whether going through a dealership or selling directly. The Blue Book values are the gold standard for determining vehicle valuation in the automotive market, allowing all parties, when buying or selling, to be informed and prepared to negotiate accordingly.

For new automobiles, KBB also provides information about a car's suggested retail price (the manufacturer’s suggested retail price, or MSRP) and the dealer invoice price.

For used cars, KBB provides retail value, certified pre-owned value, trade-in price, private party value, and an instant cash offer if you are looking to quickly sell your car to a local dealer.

Instant cash offers are to be redeemed with a participating dealer, pending inspection and appraisal.

Free Tools & Services

When the Kelley Blue Book website was launched in 1995, it charged consumers $3.95 for a pricing report. The backlash was almost instantaneous. Customers insisted that online information should be free. In response, KBB did just that, offering a list of free pricing tools and services for both car shoppers and dealers.

Here are a few of the company's no-cost features/tools that stand out:

Free Dealer Price Quote. With the car make, model and zip code, users can find out the going sales price for any vehicle offered by car dealers.

Five-year cost-to-own. Helps prospective buyers to prepare for new car ownership by configuring the hidden costs over a five year period. These hidden costs are fuel economy, state fees, financing, maintenance, repairs, and insurance. Once the hidden costs have been calculated, it then allows buyers to compare and contrast those costs between different vehicles.

Next, it calculates the loss in value-what the car is worth in five years, adding the two together to determine the cost to own. This especially comes in handy when comparing cars of the same market price, since the cost to own can be the deciding factor of which car is more expensive.

Autocheck vehicle history report. Kelley Blue Book is best known for this feature along with the ability to determine the going rate of a car's market value. Autocheck is a partner with Kelley Blue Book, helping prospective used car buyers do background research on a used or pre-owned vehicle to determine the vehicle's history. This feature helps buyers avoid pitfalls by finding any accident reports, criminal activity or unreported title brands.

Expert Reviews & Lists

Kelley Blue Book also offers expert and consumer vehicle reviews and ratings. Kbb.com also features numerous awards and top 10 lists.

Bonus services include credit checks, car insurance information, and vehicle history reports.

Pricing Package Options

If you are selling a car, there are four different packages for placing a used car ad on Kelley Blue Book. Available packages are dependent on your location, but basic options are:

• The basic package runs for 4 weeks with 5 photos for $20.
  • The upgraded advertising package runs for 8 weeks with 10 photos for $30.
  • A combo package that includes an ad listed on Autotrader.com with 15 photos costs $60.
  • Another combo package without the listing on Autotrader.com may be available depending on where you live for $40-$50.

The Bad

• Listing Feature Could Be Better
  • Poor Mobile Apps
  • Customer Complaints

Listing Feature Could Be Better

Looking up car listings on KBB.com has one feature that could be improved: the cars should be listed separately, as both are currently mixed together. This occurs throughout the site and can be tedious at best and confusing at worst.

Poor Mobile Apps

As highly regarded as the KBB website is, the iPhone and iPad apps fall way short of its expectations. With only a one star rating, customers have more than their share of negative feedback. A few harsh critiques:

The app is extremely slow and can lag or jump around. For instance, when selecting the choice of car, it will jump back to various different prompt screens (what make of car, body style, etc.) and then return to the screen you're supposed to be on.

Since they redesigned the app, the ease of use has become intolerable compared to the previous version. It now takes longer to view your desired car due to the additional steps to get to the car.

The Android app isn't much better. With only three stars, it is riddled with the same issues as the Apple version.

Customer Complaints

Customers complain that it takes way too long to find what they are looking for—along with a myriad of technical issues. Regarding these app issues, being that many car dealers use this app, it would behoove KBB to fix any bugs or technical issues to maintain good relationships and continued trust in their brand. The standard Blue Book Value feature is fast and easy; however, clicking through to the results can be a bit confusing, as the page is very crowded and one has to scroll down to finally see the price chart for the specified vehicle. The page could be made cleaner with fewer components.

The Bottom Line

Kelley Blue Book has been a trusted resource for car buyers, private sellers, and dealers for many decades and continues to be today. It is an easy, fast way to find out how much your current vehicle is worth if you are looking to sell your car, and how much any car is worth if you are buying and want to make sure that you are getting a fair purchase price. KBB's reputation speaks for itself in this regard.

However, the company should work on improving their apps-especially since many car dealers use them along with making their blue book value results page cleaner for better visibility.

View Best Car Finder Companies

Kurt Lucas Olney, MD

I have used Kelly Blue Book for years when car shopping. I trust them the most when it comes to information they provide.

Jwat1213 Mount Airy, MD

Very simple to use and I like how they will give you a cash offer. N

Peter Harmatuk Columbia, MD

KBB is a great resource for finding the potential value of a car. I have never found it extremely useful in terms of knowing what you would actually get for your car or being able to pay for a new one, but it does give you useful guidance for approximate values

Nell Damascus, MD

Really appreciate the information that the Kelley blue book provides when searching for the value on a car.

Lex Midway, UT

I love this website because it helps me when buying cars to see what price it should be and has gotten my cars cheaper before

Paige Ellis Slade Gilbert, AZ

Whenever we are considering buying a car, or first thing is to go to Kelley blue book and see what it’s value is. Kelley blue book has helped us with each one of our cars to know if we are getting a good deal.

Joannetta Jarman Secaucus, NJ

Before we buy any car we always check the KBB for a cars rating to see how its doing and what its history is. We trust no one before check the KBB price.

Eban Beltran Arlington, TX

Great service to understand the value of your car and figure out when might be a good time to sell.

Amy McCarlie Orem, UT

I live in Utah and Kelley doesn't seem to be accurate at all with what the real market is in Utah. Because of that it doesn't seem to help at all.

Ryan Matheson Garden City, ID

This is a great place to look for accurate values of cars. It has helped me when I sell my cars.

Hailey Burt Riverton, UT

I just recently sold my Subaru Outback and I used Kelley blue book to see how much it was worth, and I ended up getting exactly what it said I should get for my car!

lscho2 Boise, ID

I have always used this service to value my cars or ones I am looking to buy people agree with what they say

Alexa Cooper Salt Lake City, UT

I like their stuff. Their information is helpful and their videos are professional, effective, and informational.

Kyle Provo, UT

Essential site for used car buyers and sellers. Without KBB I would be largely clueless about the perceived value of a used vehicle

Alexis Hirschi Idaho Falls, ID

I've used this many times to compare car prices to help with sales. Very user-friendly

Lizzie Billings West Valley City, UT

I love this site! It helped me find the value of my car so I could sell it and I used it to find the value of my dads car so I could buy it. Amazing company!

Chelsea Snow Eagle Mountain, UT

As I was selling my Ford Focus, this site served as an excellent tool for me to know how much it was actually worth. I was able to sell it at a reasonable price because of Kbb.

Jared Provo, UT

I go to KBB every time I look for a car. I trust their services immensely and will continue to use them in the years to come!

Mason Allen Provo, UT

I like that Kelley Blue Book is trust worthy but I have not had much success finding cars on their site. I wonder if people don't know about it or if they are particular on their cars but it seems like their inventory of posts has always been low.

Cindy H Gilbert, AZ

I have tried to use their website but find it confusing. Several times i have tried to look up the value of a car and start off thinking it is going well but i can never seem to get a conclusion. I'm sure it is my lack of knowledge but for me the site has not been helpful.

Carol Knight Salt Lake City, UT

Kelley BB is a great site to use whenever I am wanting to find out almost anything about a product or vehicle. KBB is my go to "standard"!

Ted Rock Island, IL

I have used Kelly Blue Book to find the value of my cars before going to dealer to look at new cars. The trade in allowance that is calculated in KBB really helps in the negotiation process. I wouldn't go to dealer without knowing the value of my car.

Leonides Fourteen Logan, UT

Kelley Blue Book helped me find the right make model and price I should pay for two of the past vehicles I have owned and it’s pricing and reviews are very helpful and accurate

Ryan Larsen Logan, UT

I use Kelley Blue Book as my source of information when researching car values and reviews. The website is packed with useful information and is easy to navigate. I believe that their estimated values are consistent and dependable.

mikala gneiting Ammon, ID

Great service! It’s nice to know the value of cars when it’s time to trade or buy. Quick reference to let you know what your vehicle is worth. Or to compare someone’s asking price to what the value “should” be.

Ashlee Bair Los Angeles, CA

We have used Kelley Blue Book several times for values on our vehicles! The website is easy to use and works great to provide the value!

Wmosmith12 Smithfield, UT

We have used Kelley Blue book A few times in the years. It is a good resource to See the value of either a car we buy or sell.

Cdavid St Louis, MO

I always check Kelley Blue Book before purchasing or selling a vehicle. When we sell a vehicle it gives us an educated target price that we should be asking for.

Leon West Valley City, UT

I have used this book both in business and in my personal use throughout the years and have always found it to be reliable.

Katie Elliott ,

This has been very helpful when I have sold or paid for a vehicle. I like that it gives you a range of prices

Opi Logan, UT

Kelly has always provided accurate information on my cars value to allow me to sell quickly. I really like the links they provide for available cars in my area that I am researching. Love the website!

Melanie Miller West Jordan, UT

We use this every time we sell a vehicle. It helps us determine how much we should sell them for.

STurner Saratoga Springs, UT

I really appreciated the information This company gave when I sold and bought my car. I liked that it had a side by side comparison. I liked that it was easy to find and easily accessible on the internet. I felt that it was reliable information.

Dan Whiting American Fork, UT

I used Kelley Blue book to find out the value of my Honda Odyssey. The website was a little confusing at first. But after I spent some time with it, I was able to navigate and find the answers I was looking for. Placing an ad was easy enough, and I feel that it was definitely worth the small fee to reach as many people as I did. I'm sure I made more money from the sale as a result.

Yolanda Briganti Riverton, UT

I've been using KBB for helping me gauge the value of cars for a long time. This week I couldn't get the drop down menu to change the year of the car. It has worked in the past. Not this time.

Eric Wilkinson Herriman, UT

KBB is the best resource for pricing a car to sell. I sold a car this Summer and KBB made it easy to find out it's worth and sell it at a competitive price.

AF ,

I love having a place to reference when purchasing (or selling) your car. I feel so overwhelmed with the whole process that it's nice to at least have a ballpark idea of what something is worth, and if it had good reviews.

Tagg Ogden, UT

Kelley Blue book has been the standard for prices on cars and their selection of finding cars is great too. You can always find something you like.

Ashley Ulibarri Sandy, UT

Kelly Blue Book provides a great service. It’s the number one place I go to to check a vehicle’s value. I always research vehicles on Kelly Blue Book before purchasing a new car. It’s also a great place to look for cars. I also always use it as a resource when selling a vehicle to know the fairest price to sell it at. I love using this service.

Jaci Rhoades Irving, TX

Kelley blue book is a great place to start Price shopping for a vehicle. I believe it's extremely important that the American consumer should take into consideration there is also a black book for car dealers. The black book often allows a $5 to $10,000 difference in what the car dealer wants you to know you can bargain with.

Shante Reeder Ogden, UT

This is such a great tool if you are looking to buy or sale a car! Information is accurate, and easy to navigate through! We have used this site many times while trying to privately sell our vehicles, and it has never steered us wrong!

Dre35 West Valley City, UT

KBB has been a great resource when it comes to finding out more information on our vehicles when we decided to sell it online. It was also the resource we used to make sure we were making a good deal in the purchase of our last vehicle. KBB also gets us quick access to local dealerships that have our ideal car in stock.

Kogan Powell West Valley City, UT

Used this to compare prices on a few cars a few years back. Love the format, so simple and easy to get the information you need fast.

Patricia Miller Preston, ID

This book is a first stop when we are looking at a car or truck. We always check to see what the value is on a used car we like then we have a good idea if the sales price is fair or high! This book gives you a good starting pay when you are negotiating on a vehicle!

Weston Kolste Salt Lake City, UT

These guys helped me price and buy my Ranger at a good price. Not only was I able to see what it should cost, but also what the high and low end was.

Rathan Kumar Trabuco Canyon, CA

Kelly Blue Book has been integral is selling my car. I used their services to properly price my vehicle and sell it at an affordable yet modest price.

Brayden Ibert Covington, LA

The site can be difficult to navigate and isnt always reliable. I do believe the site needs to be overhauled.

Jakob barre Norcross, GA

Great place to find reviews on many different businesses and see the dealers around.

Alyssa Hansel Tallahassee, FL

Kelly Blue Book is one of the best car information sites. I used this site when purchasing my first car and it helped me get a more accurate price for my used car!

Zabsanti Slidell, LA

Kelly blue book was an amazing website when I was trying to find my first car. It's amazing car review section allowed me to finalize my car to my toyata Corolla.