Kelley Blue Book Logo

Kelley Blue Book

Is This Your Business?

7.4

LAST UPDATED: May 10th, 2022

What is known today as Kelley Blue Book (KBB)—first started in 1926—has origins dating back to 1918. The company gets its name from founder Les Kelley, who launched the initial enterprise under the name Kelley Kar Company. The enterprise was a car dealership with Model T Ford vehicles for sale.

Kelley collected raw data from his business operations with other dealers and banks, publishing the information for public consumption in the first Kelley Blue Book in 1926. This book became a standard guide in the automotive trade for determining car value.

By the 1960s, the company moved from a car dealership to a specialty publisher, focusing on the production of its automobile pricing guides.

The company details current market value and ranges for every type of new or used vehicle available on the market. Kelley Blue Book also provides dealer invoice pricing for new cars and trade-in values for used cars. Website visitors to kbb.com can also find expert and consumer reviews, safety ratings, and detailed 5-year Cost-to-Own data, as well as the opportunity to sell their car with an on-site ad listing.

Read on for pros and cons, plus Kelley Blue Book reviews from real users.

CarFax Logo
#1 CarFax chevron_right
Autotrader Logo
#3 Autotrader chevron_right
Cars.com Logo
#4 Cars.com chevron_right
4.1

The Good

• Blue Book Values
  • Free Tools & Services
  • Expert Reviews & Lists
  • Pricing Package Options

Blue Book Values

Kelley Blue Book's most significant feature allows owners to determine what their vehicle is worth, called Blue Book Value. All it requires is the make, model, mileage, model year, and relative condition to find the car's value. Car pricing is fast, free and requires just a few clicks to get the results.

Kelly Blue Book values are a go-to feature for both car buyers and sellers, whether going through a dealership or selling directly. The Blue Book values are the gold standard for determining vehicle valuation in the automotive market, allowing all parties, when buying or selling, to be informed and prepared to negotiate accordingly.

For new automobiles, KBB also provides information about a car's suggested retail price (the manufacturer’s suggested retail price, or MSRP) and the dealer invoice price.

For used cars, KBB provides retail value, certified pre-owned value, trade-in price, private party value, and an instant cash offer if you are looking to quickly sell your car to a local dealer.

Instant cash offers are to be redeemed with a participating dealer, pending inspection and appraisal.

Free Tools & Services

When the Kelley Blue Book website was launched in 1995, it charged consumers $3.95 for a pricing report. The backlash was almost instantaneous. Customers insisted that online information should be free. In response, KBB did just that, offering a list of free pricing tools and services for both car shoppers and dealers.

Here are a few of the company's no-cost features/tools that stand out:

Free Dealer Price Quote. With the car make, model and zip code, users can find out the going sales price for any vehicle offered by car dealers.

Five-year cost-to-own. Helps prospective buyers to prepare for new car ownership by configuring the hidden costs over a five year period. These hidden costs are fuel economy, state fees, financing, maintenance, repairs, and insurance. Once the hidden costs have been calculated, it then allows buyers to compare and contrast those costs between different vehicles.

Next, it calculates the loss in value-what the car is worth in five years, adding the two together to determine the cost to own. This especially comes in handy when comparing cars of the same market price, since the cost to own can be the deciding factor of which car is more expensive.

Autocheck vehicle history report. Kelley Blue Book is best known for this feature along with the ability to determine the going rate of a car's market value. Autocheck is a partner with Kelley Blue Book, helping prospective used car buyers do background research on a used or pre-owned vehicle to determine the vehicle's history. This feature helps buyers avoid pitfalls by finding any accident reports, criminal activity or unreported title brands.

Expert Reviews & Lists

Kelley Blue Book also offers expert and consumer vehicle reviews and ratings. Kbb.com also features numerous awards and top 10 lists.

Bonus services include credit checks, car insurance information, and vehicle history reports.

Pricing Package Options

If you are selling a car, there are four different packages for placing a used car ad on Kelley Blue Book. Available packages are dependent on your location, but basic options are:

• The basic package runs for 4 weeks with 5 photos for $20.
  • The upgraded advertising package runs for 8 weeks with 10 photos for $30.
  • A combo package that includes an ad listed on Autotrader.com with 15 photos costs $60.
  • Another combo package without the listing on Autotrader.com may be available depending on where you live for $40-$50.

The Bad

• Listing Feature Could Be Better
  • Poor Mobile Apps
  • Customer Complaints

Listing Feature Could Be Better

Looking up car listings on KBB.com has one feature that could be improved: the cars should be listed separately, as both are currently mixed together. This occurs throughout the site and can be tedious at best and confusing at worst.

Poor Mobile Apps

As highly regarded as the KBB website is, the iPhone and iPad apps fall way short of its expectations. With only a one star rating, customers have more than their share of negative feedback. A few harsh critiques:

The app is extremely slow and can lag or jump around. For instance, when selecting the choice of car, it will jump back to various different prompt screens (what make of car, body style, etc.) and then return to the screen you're supposed to be on.

Since they redesigned the app, the ease of use has become intolerable compared to the previous version. It now takes longer to view your desired car due to the additional steps to get to the car.

The Android app isn't much better. With only three stars, it is riddled with the same issues as the Apple version.

Customer Complaints

Customers complain that it takes way too long to find what they are looking for—along with a myriad of technical issues. Regarding these app issues, being that many car dealers use this app, it would behoove KBB to fix any bugs or technical issues to maintain good relationships and continued trust in their brand. The standard Blue Book Value feature is fast and easy; however, clicking through to the results can be a bit confusing, as the page is very crowded and one has to scroll down to finally see the price chart for the specified vehicle. The page could be made cleaner with fewer components.

The Bottom Line

Kelley Blue Book has been a trusted resource for car buyers, private sellers, and dealers for many decades and continues to be today. It is an easy, fast way to find out how much your current vehicle is worth if you are looking to sell your car, and how much any car is worth if you are buying and want to make sure that you are getting a fair purchase price. KBB's reputation speaks for itself in this regard.

However, the company should work on improving their apps-especially since many car dealers use them along with making their blue book value results page cleaner for better visibility.

View Best Car Finder Companies

Jim Bullhead City, AZ

When you shop for a vehicle I found out it is best to use Kelly blue book. It will give you the real price range of the vehicle. No matter what condition and miles and such. Dealerships and private individuals will hardly ever give you the right price range. Just fill in the easy application and they will tell you. Don't buy a vehicle without using it. It is so fantastic!!!

Anoushka Ahuja Lecanto, FL

I have used KBB recently and my parents have used it for ever for all the cars they have purchased, I liked the website as it gives a very clear and accurate picture of the history of the car and it’s value if you were to purchase it from a private party or a dealer. It was good as I was able to make a very informed decision

OrvilleBro Herriman, UT

I have relied on Kelley Blue Book reviews online and on youtube for a first look on many cars. They have always seemed to focus on the things that have been important to me when reviewing cars for value, quality, reliability and fun.

Luke Swierczynski San Jose, CA

Whenever shopping for a car you should always check the MSRP on KBB to make sure you're not being taken. Especially with the vehicle shortage, although you might have to pay a bit more for a vehicle make sure you're not going under water immediately by paying too far over KBB. This helped me in selling my car recently, I kept getting offers in the mail from the dealer looking to buy back my car. KBB made it clear I was being low balled. Helped me negotiate to a fair value and trade in for several thousand more than I’d of gotten had I just accepted the offer blindly.

Jlbfla New Braunfels, TX

I have always turned to Kelly blue book for anytime I was in market for new cars. The site is easy to use to find helpful information on buying my new car and trading in at dealers. I have found the prices right on and have used them in negotiating with new car dealers that always want to undercut me especially being a woman. Kelly blue book gives me plenty of detailed information I needed. You can not go wrong with their information. I recommend them to everyone.

Heather Riverton, UT

Kelley Blue Book offers great information when shopping for a used vehicle. You can easily compare different vehicle options. Also, they are a well-known and trusted resource.

tmike1990 Calgary, AB

Prices of the vehicles is outdated. They need to do more home work, otherwise it is a joke, it is almost impossible to find vehicles in Alberta for price they listed.

James Richards Las Vegas, NV

Used in the past. Price of cars is right on the dot I trust Kelly blue book.

Natalie Rousey Riverton, UT

Kelley Blue Book is an exceptional website to understand the value of vehicles. The website is easy to use and is very thorough. It asks specific questions so that you can find the exact value of your vehicle. I would recommend this website to anyone.

Bradley Baer Philadelphia, PA

Kelley Blue Book has long been the go-to for Car buying and remains the most trusted name in the game. When I purchased my last vehicle, I used it endlessly to understand the value of certain features/components and to review things like safety and gas efficiency.

Joseph Zajac Hazleton, PA

In the summer of 2021 I went shopping for a new used vehicle. I found that Kelley Blue book was extremely helpful in finding out what the value of the vehicle I was looking at was worth in comparison to what the dealership was charging. As a result I ended up with a great vehicle and a great price. The car I purchased came in approximately $2,000 under the Kelley Blue book value and was a three-year-old vehicle that was a lease turned into a sale.

Mandy Pesce

Kelley Blue Book is an extremely helpful tool when buying or selling a car. They gave us estimates of fair market value depending on the condition of my vehicle and they are widely used by nearly every car dealership, so when we went to purchase, we both had the same information . Very reliable.

Hailee Coleman Columbia, MO

Kelley Blue Book is the reason I was able to get more from trading in my car to the dealership than I originally thought. A dealership really tried to undermine the amount of money I could make on my trade-in. I made sure to look at Kelley Blue Book and make sure I was getting a fair deal. It gave me the upper hand in negotiations. It is easy to get advisement on the website, and I found it extremely helpful!

Sydney Charleston South Jordan, UT

There is so much information at the site. The biggest thing it offers is an estimate about vehicle values and an explanation of what affects those values. Sometimes people don't take into consideration things like reconditioning costs and maintenance history. This allows consumers to be better informed when negotiating a purchase where a trade vehicle is involved!

Rick Froid Park Ridge, IL

Kelley blue book is a great reference for checking value of your car. Especially nowadays with the high increase in value.

Lynette Jorgensen Herriman, UT

I use Kelley Blue Book when I am both purchasing or selling a vehicle. I trust their website to show me what the fair market value of vehicles are.

John Cleveland Gulfport, MS

KBB provides what appears to be a useful service. However, it isn't. I went online to get an "instant cash offer" for my 2020 Cadillac CT5 Premium Luxury sedan. PROS: 1. The instant cash offer arrives in approximately 3 minutes. 2. Dealers will almost immediately contact you via email and phone to schedule you taking your car into get it appraised. CONS: 1. Cash offer is a gimmick to get you to walk back into a dealership. In this case, my car is approximately 20 months old. It has 17500 miles and is garage kept. No accidents, dents, dings, or cracks? I went straight down the window sticker when inputting data in KBB. Offer came in at $44,196. I went to Turan Foley at the designated time, waited about an hour for numerous people to, you know, review the car, and then they made me an offer of $41,000. Apparently, your KBB instant Cash Offer, is not an actual offer at all, even when your vehicle is exactly as described. This partnership is simply a scam! Don't waste your time.

Noureddine Lalami Brentwood, CA

Kelly Blue Book is by far the best car comparison website, whether you're buying a car or selling a car. The Low-Medium-High prices you get are quite accurate.

Amberly Pack Salt Lake City, UT

I always use KBB when I am selling my car or buying a new one. I love that I can see what my car should be valued at and know that I'm getting a fair deal.

Josh Zacher Wanatah, IN

Instant cash offer was a fraud!! Dealership straight up told me, its a gimmick just to get you in the door and KBB doesn't hold them accountable.

Shopman Herriman, UT

Kelley Blue Book is a great way to learn the true value of a vehicle. They are trusted by those buying a selling. I like to be able to research big purchases. Kelley Blue Book helps me to do that.

Calista Huber Phoenix, AZ

I have really liked using Kelley Blue Book! It has really helped to have a reasonable price range when buying and selling our cars. I like that you can give KBB specific car details or very general car details, and it will give you a range of acceptable/average car prices in your area, for both individual sellers and dealers.

Alexandria Lekberg Chesterfield, VA

This company has always been fantastic! I can always trust their website and the info they have. It is easy to navigate and use. I use it every time I am about to buy or sell a vehicle!

Daniel Cebrero Henderson, NV

My go to source to search for new and used car pricing. This is my first starting point when looking for my next car and how much I should pay. I always show this site to my family

Basil48 Southport, NC

KBB USED TO BE A GOOD SOURCE OF INFOR VEHICLES PURCHASE, LEASE, VALUE, ETC. HOWEVER, OVER THE PAST FEW YEARS NUMEROUS OTHER DELIEVERY SYSTEMS PROVIDE SIMIALR RESULTS...NEED TO USE MULTIPLE COMPANIES TO OBTAIN A MORE ACCURATE PICTURE OF VALUES.

Juanita Morrison Columbus, OH

Kelley Blue Book was my go to manual when I purchased my first car. Buy knowing the vehicle value, I was able to negotiate and pay what I wanted to pay because I was well informed. Do your homework and use the website.

Toni Montuori

Tried Tested and True. I’ve been referring to Kelly Blue Book for 40+ yrs as do many others. Over the years they have developed into much more than an estimator for used vehicles. I have purchased and sold auto per their recommendations and I will continue to.

Jec Canby, OR

Very handy. I use it whenever we buy or sell a car. However the last time I used it, I don't know if something had changed or if I did something different, but I got a whole bunch of calls, emails and texts from dealerships wanting me to bring them the car for a quote. I like selling the cars my self because I can get twice the price out of it. Also, using it helps me better advertise the vehicle as it reminds me of some of the features my car has.

Anne Sainsbury Salt Lake City, UT

I have used Kelley Blue Book both to find used cars when I was shopping for a new car and to find the current value of my car when selling an older car. When looking for used cars I love how many cars are available on the site. There have always been plenty of vehicles represented when I have looked. One of my favorite features on the site is the ability to input the details of your car and get a range of appropriate selling price. This was very helpful when we sold our second car last year and we were able to get a fair price for it.

Christine Farmer Littleton, CO

Kelley Blue Book is our go to website to value our cars to decide if they are worth fixing or if it's time to move on. Also, to give us a basis for a price to sell OR to buy a used car. The reviews available are very well written and helpful. You can also view used cars for sale and I like how those are presented. One thing they show on the intro page is the exterior and interior color--this is nice for me because I care about the interior color and on most sites I have to click on that car to find the interior color, so it saves search time for me to have that noted on the scrolling page. Very useful site!

Jordan Bell Orem, UT

Kelly Blue Book is my go to for looking at cars, they provide very accurate prices of each car and if I am overpaying or not, giving me peace of mind.

Kurt Didenhover Salt Lake City, UT

I really like their service to research cars, whether it be a new car or finding the value of a used car. The site is always reliable and helpful.

Bryan Peterson Herriman, UT

I love going to Kelly Blue Book to see what the value of my car is. Prior to trading in any car I have gone to Kelly Blue book to make sure I am getting a fair value

Timothy Rich South Jordan, UT

I like the Kelley blue book because I can see what my car is worth, and if I want to buy a car I can know exactly what that car is actually worth.

Brian Cowley Riverton, UT

I like their website and I think their valuations are pretty spot on. The website allows you to key in on the specific options of your car and not just the stock options.

Erinmarie Xian Seffner, FL

KBB is always my go to when looking for or or selling a car... playing with the categories to find the best price you can expect is a super helpful tool.

Andrea Thomas Richland, WA

KBB has been around for a a long time. We used KBB for buying our first two cars and to look up trade value for several others too. The site is very easy to use!

BlancheL

I enjoyed Kelley blue book when searching for a used car. KBB helped me with general information to help me make the best decision on my vehicle purchase

Russell Vastine Aurora, CO

I use this whenever I see a used car I’m interested in. Good site that it easy to navigate and gives good up to date information based on your location.

Richard Danby Rexburg, ID

I have used Kelley Blue Book for a long time. I use it to find the best price for the vehicles that I am interested in. It has seemed real accurate and I will keep using it until I see otherwise.

Hannah Barth Tallahassee, FL

Kelley Blue Book is great to look up the values of cars. I was able to find the best price to list my car at and ensure I was not spending too much when looking for a new car.

Ted Rock Island, IL

I have used Kelly Blue Book to find the value of my cars before going to dealer to look at new cars. The trade in allowance that is calculated in KBB really helps in the negotiation process. I wouldn't go to dealer without knowing the value of my car.

Patricia Miller Preston, ID

This book is a first stop when we are looking at a car or truck. We always check to see what the value is on a used car we like then we have a good idea if the sales price is fair or high! This book gives you a good starting pay when you are negotiating on a vehicle!

Kaysha Love Las Vegas, NV

Kelly blue book is a great resource to use. This company is very benefical when coming for teaching for cars. This company is also very honest and makes sure to give the most accurate quotes on vehicles. A very trusted company.

JDWain Tallahassee, FL

Kelly Blue Book provides a great serivce to its customer and has helped me determine how much my car is worth when selling and also how much I should pay when buying a used car. Their prices are always very accurate for what the market will pay.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Overall, Kelly Blue Book is a well trusted name in the industry. I have used their tools multiple times. Kelly Blue Book offers real value in saving money through accessible information. They offer industry leading, key information invaluable in making purchasing decisions. I won't ever buy anything without consulting Kelly Blue Book!

Aaron Paxman Lehi, UT

I recently bought a truck and I used Kelley Blue book to aid me in getting the best deal possible. I found the truck I wanted and the seller was asking way too much and I was able to get the price to come down due to Kelley Blue Book. Website is very user friendly and getting the value of a vehicle was very easy to do.

Alicia Holman Gilbert, AZ

Very user friendly and seems to be very informative. I don't like that it links to dealerships pretty quickly, but I know that's a way for them to get money. I wish it was a little more detailed as I do think there are more items that go on cars, but it's a minor detail.

Lisa C Johnson Washington, DC

I think this is the best book around. Before I buy cars I do alot of research. I know how much a car is worth and the amount I'm willing to pay and a decent amount that they should receive. I walk into the dealership with this book. Salesmen know that you are serious and have done your research. As a female I know that we can be taken advantage of. So thanks to this book I can be a well informed customer. The price I quoted was accepted at the dealership.

Dan Whiting American Fork, UT

I used Kelley Blue book to find out the value of my Honda Odyssey. The website was a little confusing at first. But after I spent some time with it, I was able to navigate and find the answers I was looking for. Placing an ad was easy enough, and I feel that it was definitely worth the small fee to reach as many people as I did. I'm sure I made more money from the sale as a result.