eBay Motors Logo

6.3

LAST UPDATED: April 17th, 2021

Based in San Jose, California, eBayMotors.com is eBay’s automotive website for buying and selling new, used and certified pre-owned vehicles and parts. eBay started in 1995 as an online auction website for collectors and enthusiasts and has since expanded its features to offer a straight retail shopping experience without any need for auction-style bidding.

In 1999, eBay business development specialist Simon Rothman was seeking a die-cast model of the Ferrari sports car. Accidentally, he stumbled onto the real thing. After a review on categorizing vehicles together, ebaymotors.com was born as the site’s "eBay cars" auto industry hub. The company started offering financing in 2003.

eBay Motors is a leading marketplace where buyers and sellers connect. Within 4 years of its inception, it had sold one million cars. To celebrate, eBay Motors refunded the purchase price to the new owner of a Honda Odyssey as a gift.

Keep reading for pros and cons, plus eBay Motors reviews from real users.

Kelley Blue Book Logo
#1 Kelley Blue Book chevron_right
CarGurus Logo
#2 CarGurus chevron_right
2.9
CarFax Logo
#3 CarFax chevron_right

The Good

• Great Deals on Cars and Parts
  • Mobile App Available
  • Vehicle Protection Program

Great Deals on Cars and Parts

Adventure and the opportunity to get a great deal on a unique selection of new and used cars and parts are the biggest appeals to eBaymotors.com. Sellers can simply create an account and list their vehicle to be seen by millions of users each day. You do not need an account to purchase a new or used vehicle.

Mobile App Available

The mobile app has a section where you can find out if a specific part or accessory is compatible with your make and model vehicle. Sellers are easy to connect with so you can get more information on the vehicle that interests you and ask questions.

Vehicle Protection Program

eBay Motors provides a number of service solutions to buyers. Their vehicle protection program will pay up to $50,000 in fraud protection free of charge for transactions that are eligible. You can check a vehicle's past through AutoCheck and arrange an inspection from Inspect My Ride. You can use PayPal to put down a deposit and get shipping quotes to transport your new purchase.

The Bad

• Scams
  • Protection Program Restrictions
  • Listing Fees

Scams

Be careful while searching for a new or used vehicle on eBayMotors.com.

eBay cars are listed by sellers who have created accounts on the website. These sellers may not be reputable and consumers have complained about falling victim to scam artists.

Protection Program Restrictions

You may or may not be protected by the vehicle protection program offered by eBay to protect you from fraud depending on the circumstances.

The protection program will not shield you from wear and tear after your purchase, overpayment of a car's value, disclosures you may miss, or misunderstandings concerning features and qualities of a purchased vehicle. Be vigilant when contemplating an eBay vehicle purchase.

Listing Fees

If you are looking to sell a car, there is an extensive listing of fees that are dependent on the options you choose. These can add up pretty quickly if you are not careful.

You can sell your car for free on eBay, but your marketing options are incredibly limited compared to other websites. Plus, listing fees are free only if you are a high-volume seller. Typical fees for low-volume sellers range between $60-$125.

The Bottom Line

While eBayMotors.com offers vehicle protection service programs to new and used car buyers, it does not appear to be a trusted or secure website.

Proceed with caution and research thoroughly before you buy. Make sure sellers are verified and read car descriptions and a seller's past history information on eBaymotors.com carefully.

View Best Car Finder Companies

3.6

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

eBay Motors is a terrific resource to find vehicles. Because eBay fees are low, that savings passes on to the customer. I like the variety and the platform online is easy to use. Searches are easy and communication with the sellers is a piece of cake. Thank you eBay Motors for making it so easy to find out vehicles!

Bill W. Chandler, AZ

Charged fees even when vehicle did not sell and on another when someone made a mistake and "bought" the vehicle by mistake but then did not pay. I spend hours trying to resolve matters with little support from eBay. They even canceled their phone number so you can't call them to get support, but instead send you to the online help documents that are confusing and of little assistance.

Morgan whiting Los Angeles, CA

We bought a car after we got married off of eBay motors, We were worried that the car would have issues because we got such a good price on it. It ended up being an awesome car and after 4 years we sold it for more than we paid for it.

Jon Robinson Riverton, UT

I have utilized eBay Motors to buy car parts when I needed to fix or service a vehicle. I find that they have a lot of options and can get a good value compared to going to a retail store. Just be careful to know the seller. Many sellers are based in China and may be selling knock off products.

Audrey Mitchell Managua, MN

Ebay Motors is not my favorite website to look for buying cars. The reasoning behind it is that I feel like the filters that you place don't bring up the exact things I was looking for.

Robert Mebane, NC

If I could leave negtive stars I would. Purchased two cars through Ebay. Both times the cars were not as described (prior unreported accidents, warning lights that come on immediately upon arrival, etc). Neither time was I able to leave negative Feedback. Called Ebay each time. One time they said because I opened a case I was not permitted to leave Feedback and today they told me that the guy who sold it probably called and said the light was not on and they removed the negative feedback. How then can people tell that these people selling cars are not reputable. Never buy a car on Ebay!!!

Kent Logan, UT

I use eBay motors to look for car and powersports parts. I really like how the search is parametric which helps me zero in on the part I need at the time.

Karen Torino Tallahassee, FL

eBay motors was where I found a 2004 Ford Explorer for a fairly decent price. The thing is, you do not really know what to expect until you meet with the buyer. However, given that people can set their prices, you're likely to negotiate and get a good deal.

JamieD Saratoga Springs, UT

eBay offers such a robust base of mainstream cars, but more importantly to me, unique cars that are really hard to find other places. I like that they offer ratings for buyers and sellers, it feels safe

Kip Fowler Pleasant Grove, UT

We found a vehicle on eBay a few years back and the process was great. It was in Texas so I had to fly down and pick it up, but I saved so much money on doing my research that the price of the car was worth it. I had little reservations about buying off of eBay because of their guarantee of services.

Gary

Do not biy a car over ten years old on ebay. You will not be covered at all. Just got a car that the seller said drives and motor was blown. No ac as add said. Check engine light is on. Not the same as pictured looks to have been wrecked. I was scammed and lied to by the seller and ebay will do nothing. So i hiring an attorney so the next guy does not get scammed.

Kyle Provo, UT

Okay I probably just had a bad experience but compared to other car finding sites the eBay motors were either much more expensive or very clearly scams. The one person I did contact was definitely trying to scam me (don't worry I called em out and didn't fall for it)

Ryan Matheson Garden City, ID

This is a great place to browse different cars. I love seeing all of their amazing options.

Jimmy

Easy to use and no pressure. I was able to sell a car in eleen days and used this site to research other cars.

ALEXANDER TALLETT Lincoln, MA

eBay Motors is a joke. Buyers never pay for the cars, and sellers are always at fault in the transaction. The model is completely broken. Until eBay truly changes the model, they will keep loosing business to other and better options out there. Even as a buyer, there are few good deals and legitimate sellers to chose from.

Juan Beaver, PA

If you are looking for a unique car this is the place. I often find cool cars for sale. I have not purchased one from here before but i would consider.

Brenda Mertes Houston, TX

Ebay seems sketchy with almost everything they sell. The vehicles here are far too cheap to not have too many issues. Also anything I've purchased from Ebay before never came in (so I only used this twice). I don't recommend.

Katie Kearney Vienna, VA

My husband and I use eBay pretty often when looking for new vehicles and there are always a lot of cars that can be found on there. Don't have any complaints.

Carol Knight Salt Lake City, UT

I had a terrific experience finding a vehicle in my state for a very good price. 5 star transaction!

Eric Smith Riverton, UT

I have searched up plenty of cars through eBay Motors and even have helped my neighbors in finding a car through them.

Seth Riverside, CA

I feeling like a portion of the vehicle on the website aren’t as legit as they are portrayed. The few interactions I have had with sellers have been subpar.

Cim Carver Cheyenne, WY

I’ve purchased several items from eBay Motors. They always have even the hardest to find parts!

Nicholas Lake Villa, IL

Lots of filters to find what you want exactly what kind of car you are you looking for.

L. Fowler Pleasant Grove, UT

We purchased a car off of ebay a few years ago and everything went smoothly.

K Robison Layton, UT

I have used this a few times but didn't think it had as many options as other car listings.

Chase H Provo, UT

You can find some really good deals, but it is a bummer when they are clear across the country.