Cars.com Logo

6.3

LAST UPDATED: April 12th, 2022

Cars.com is an automotive mega site based out of Chicago, Illinois. This company’s online destination assists shoppers in buying a new, used, or certified used vehicle. Cars.com seeks to make automobile shopping a stress-free experience by arming consumers with all the comprehensive knowledge and tools they need to make informed and intelligent car-buying decisions. Cars.com receives over 30 million visits from shoppers each month. Visitors discover a comprehensive selection of all makes and models, research tools, and expert reviews.

Keep reading for pros and cons, plus Cars.com reviews from real users.

Kelley Blue Book Logo
#1 Kelley Blue Book chevron_right
CarFax Logo
#2 CarFax chevron_right
Autotrader Logo
#3 Autotrader chevron_right

The Good

• Advice, Tools, and Resources
  • RepairPal Partnership
  • Mobile Apps

Advice, Tools, and Resources

Cars.com offers an extensive menu of products and services for automobile buyers and sellers. Shoppers can search for vehicles both locally and nationally with a wide range of features and accessories. You can read hundreds of expert reviews and compare cars side-by-side. Discover what cars match your lifestyle and get tips and advice on owning and maintaining your vehicle.

There is also a quick-start guide on the website to guide you through the car buying steps. Cars.com will help you calculate the price range you can afford and how much your monthly payment would be. You can also find out whether you should buy or lease a car and how to negotiate with dealers.

This company's website will also help you find the best rebates and financing offers available in your local area on the vehicles you are interested in and how to get the best interest rate possible.

You can find out the estimated trade-in value of your current vehicle and obtain knowledge on how to get the best car loan possible.

Cars.com offers its visitors a full menu of resources for buying and/or selling vehicles. These include:

• Vehicle history - Cars.com provides potential buyers a direct link to autocheck.com's vehicle history report to learn if the car has been:
    • Reported in an accident
    • Branded a lemon or total loss
    • Damaged in a flood
    • Reported repossessed or stolen
  • Payment calculator for:
    • Auto loans
    • Affordability
    • Cash Back vs. Low interest
    • Loan vs. Lease
  • Comparison tool:
    • Allows customers to compare vehicles side by side
    • Shows how cars are similar and how they're different.
    • Choose up to four cars and start comparing.
  • Recommendation tool - Lets customers instantly find the best cars for them by indicating what they're looking for regarding:
    • car model
    • body style
    • number of car seats
    • minimum highway gas mileage
    • transmission and engine preferences
    • essential equipment and features
    • technical and performance requirements
  • Trade-in value tool - Allows customers to get free estimates of their car's value to get an idea of what a dealer or private party will offer based on:
    • Zip code
    • Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
    • Car's Make, Model, Year
    • Style
    • Approximate mileage
    • Exterior color

RepairPal Partnership

A new feature released recently on the website is called Service and Repair. Cars.com partnered with RepairPal.com to offer consumers estimates on possible vehicle repairs. Consumers can learn maintenance and repair tips and find trusted certified service centers in their area. You can also learn if there are any recalls on your automobile. Be aware that not all features in the Service and Repair area work on the website at the moment as it is brand new.

Mobile Apps

The Cars.com app holds high iOS and Android ratings due to the following features:

• App is free
  • Helps find new and used cars in the local area
  • Has Comparison tool where you can compare different car models, prices and features, side by side
  • On the lot pricing where you can find and compare vehicle pricing information while at the dealership
  • Access to car reviews from car owners and Cars.com Experts to help you make the right choice
  • Ability to sign up to access your favorite Cars and Searches from any device or computer.
  • Available Dealer Reviews from real car shoppers
  • Dealership directions and hours of operation
  • Ability to write reviews about your experience at local car dealerships.
  • Ability to sell your car
  • Ability to check car availability by calling or emailing Dealers and Private Sellers right from the app to check availability or schedule a test drive.
  • Auto Loan and Trade-in Calculator where you can use the monthly payment calculator to see how your payment will change based on:
    • down payment
    • trade-in value

All potential buyers have to do is plug in the car's VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) or License plate number.

• Extensive Features allowing you to filter your results by categories such as exterior color, door count, price, year, fuel, transmission, and listing date

The Bad

Ads & Scams

The ads listed on the website do not always accurately state the actual price of the car when you click on the websites associated with those ads. Cars.com could do a better job with filtering false advertisements and scams posted on its site. Proceed with caution and protect yourself with any online transactions, especially when it comes to your personal privacy and financial data. Other than that, Cars.com visitors report a pleasant experience with the research information and customer service received from the company.

Unfortunately, there are also many scams on the internet utilizing e-commerce sites—and Cars.com is no exception. In fact, the nature of the site will attract such types.

While the vast majority of vehicle listings on Cars.com are legitimate, visitors should be aware that certain individuals post vehicle listings on Cars.com for the sole purpose of scamming potential car buyers. Similar to a site like Craigslist, which is a free open posting board, the site itself is a medium only and not responsible for the misconduct of the people using its services. Customers need to understand that avoiding fraud is their sole responsibility.

The Bottom Line

Cars.com's achievement of one million consumer-generated online reviews is a testament to its transparent and honest model for generating consumer feedback to better serve their customers' needs. Intended to provide a more tailored consumer experience across all devices, 40 percent of new Cars.com dealer reviews are based on a full car buying and selling service experience-with more to come.

Our Recommendation: Cars.com appears to be a trusted and reliable website to help consumers make educated decisions on their next new, used, or certified used vehicle purchase. Whether you are buying or selling a car or need one repaired, this company can assist you with your unique needs and financial situation.

View Best Car Finder Companies

4.1

Mario Martin Montgomery, TX

I was limited by the pandemic in my effort to find a reliable vehicle for my daughter. I had used almost every resource at my convenience to find the right vehicle for the right price. Cars.com had been an extremely valuable tool in my search. Cars.com multiple listings and vehicle information made it easier for me to find the right vehicle for the right price.

Ben San Angelo, TX

Cars.com needs to fix its “engineering team” because apparently private sellers aren’t even seeing their adverts being shown under simple filters such as “used cars for sale” or “lowest price first”. Sure, you are “listed” on the site but your car will NOT show up when doing general searches ! Why list your car in the first place? I do like their valuation system but other than that they need to fix this problem ASAP because it sounds like they’re doing it on purpose to only have users see “dealerships” and completely ignore us private sellers !

Bryan Peterson Herriman, UT

The last 3 times Inhabe bought a car, I have used Cars.com to compare the multiple cars I have been looking it. I love being able to see pros and cons of the cars I am considering. I will continue to use cars.com

emblair Herriman, UT

Great info while looking to buy a used car for my teenage daughter. Helped narrow down my search and find the dealerships with the cars we were hoping to test drive.

Luke Swierczynski Waterford, MI

With how difficult it is to find cars these days given the chip shortage Cars really cut down my search providing all local listings at the dealers around me. Saved me a ton of time.

John Mesa, AZ

I like the fact the desktop and mobile app are both easy to navigate without being bloated with too much info or content. Granted, I use the mobile app a lot more than the browsered version but both are well designed. Lot more content than I realized (service info, dealer reviews, etc). I also like that I'm not pounded with ads; I understand the need and use for some but not to the point of being more ads than content.

Daniel Cebrero Henderson, NV

I’ve used cars.com to search for my used car and love how it has a lot of filters and options to search for the perfect match. I’ve bought a car of here and the buying Process was easy

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Cars.com is simply fantastic. Their website has hundreds if not thousands of vehicles for sale. Intuitive search options help narrow variables to what is important to you. I find the process easy and smart with Cars.com. They lead me to the right vehicles in the right price range giving me plenty of info to tackle any purchase.

Christopher Mulkerin Dickson City, PA

Recently purchased my Second Vehicle from Montage Motors and again had Great Service! The service and staff did everything they could to make sure we got in our new vehicle couldn't ask for a more friendly atmosphere. I'll definitely will be coming back for my next ride.

Colt McAlester, OK

I signed up for cars.com on 4 month starter. I was told I could cancel after 4 months. This is not the case. I was lied to multiple times by this company. They work hard to get you signed up and then leave you with nothing. The company is filled with liars and cheats. Watch out and don’t do business with these crooks. They have lied to me and cheated me out of over 900$ and they will do the same to you.

upnorthwi Bellevue, WA

I recently used Cars.Com to look for a SUV. I found some searches to include vehicles outside of my area or not meeting the parameters that I was looking for. It seemed to be cumbersome to use and not really helpful in my search.

James O'Keefe Atlanta, GA

We've used cars.com to help us purchase the last few cars that we've purchased, but I'm so tired of the site format/layout being changed constantly. They've removed a feature that tells you the total days and the amount of views the vehicle listing has had, a beneficial feature for the consumer. It's been removed, because it's a useful tool for the consumer. Also, the list of vehicle features used to be listed alphabetically, in columns, now they've thrown the entire list into a huge pile/paragraph in no particular order, totally difficult to find out if a vehicle has a particular feature. As if that wasn't enough, they've placed an annoying ad that stays across the top of the site, regardless what page in the site you're currently on, reducing your viewing area drastically, and pop up ads strategically placed so you constantly touch them while scrolling with your finger on a touchscreen. There are so many sites now with car listings that we've moved on from cars.com!

Patrick Curry Salt Lake City, UT

Never used a site like this to find a car. I've always gone and found the cars myself but I used this to get my last car. It was great to be able to narrow down exactly what we were looking for and found a great vehicle for a great price

Jeremy Webb Dallas, TX

Cars.com is a great way to find new and used cars fast and easy. I found my used Ford Explorer back in 2012 and cars.com made it easy for me. Many filters to search for specifics of different vehicles, color, make, model etc. and plenty of photos to see find the vehicle you are looking for.

Chantell Filiaga South Jordan, UT

Love cars.com it gives you so many options for what you are looking for. Makes looking for a car 10x easier. I found my dream car with the use of the app because it showed me exactly where it was for how mich and which company had it in stock.

Christine Farmer Littleton, CO

This is a very thorough site for information, research and available used cars for sale. It has many choices for filters to help narrow the search. There is also a comparison feature for up to 4 vehicles at a time which is helpful. I have visited this site several times to read reviews of cars since I am now looking to trade in an older car.

Danielle Luma Tallahassee, FL

I like Cars.com. It is a great website to find nicely priced vehicles. I used it often and will probably continue to do so.

Morgan Tennant Rexburg, ID

I used Cars.com when looking for my first vehicle. After getting help from adults, I realized that this website didn't have as great of deals as other car finding websites.

seanth57 Columbus, GA

I highly recommend this company to anyone interested in buying a car, my experiences with them were the best, they made it easy to purchase a car.

Hannah Barth Tallahassee, FL

Searching for Cars.com is easy and convenient. I loved that I could find all of the information about the cars in one place.

Naya Tallahassee, FL

Cars.com is a nice website to find cars on because it allows you to search through various used cars within a certain price range. You can also select through the different appointment and delivery styles which is very convenient during the pandemic.

Dayna Riverton, UT

Cars.com has a wide selection of colors to choose from in your area. I love that you can sort them by make model or a price for mileage to really quickly be able to see what you were looking for.

Irinna Danielson Riverton, UT

Looking for a car, especially during the pandemic, is super convenient to do online. Cars.com is a great site with information organized in a way that helps you to find the car you want within a certain price point. It's easy to use and again, really nice when you don't want to spend so much time walking around a car lot.

take7 Sandy, UT

Using it right now to find a car to buy. It hasn’t notified me once or changed except to move cars out of my saved file. I like that it’s an app to bring in information to one spot but it doesn’t do that very well as I still have to go to the sites or google to research. But it gives me an idea of where to start. I like the saving features and locations and the search features. Just wish it updated regularly and alerted me to new and nearby more quickly without me having to look myself.

SavorTheGlory Baytown, TX

Cars.com isn’t a bad searching tool for car shopping but there is definitely better in my opinion, the list of cars seems limited and the search engine is not easy to navigate.

Katherine Whyte Miami, FL

Searching for available cars in your area is made easier when using Cars.com! The search engine can help refine your search to find the best car suited for you and your lifestyle.

bailey jo Orem, UT

When we were looking for a second car, we looked everywhere and it wasn't till we found Cars.com that we were able to find a car that fit our needs perfectly and at a great price.

Kelsie Gleason Provo, UT

I found my current vehicle through cars.com. I put in the specifications of what I wanted and it sent me email notifications when I matched with a car. It took a stressful process and made it easy!

Eric San Diego, CA

Cars.com helped me research the upside and downside to certain vehicles in order to make an informed decision. I appreciate sites like this as they help to avoid poor choices when it comes to the right vehicle.

JD Dunklee Hattiesburg, MS

Using cars.com was such an easy and painless process. I was able to find a car within my price range, and close to me within a few dags

Audrey Mitchell Managua, MN

Cars.com is a great company to use when looking for cars and wanting to price check different cars from different sellers. It is easy to navigate their website.

Mickey Mangum Long Beach, MS

I've used Cars.com several times to value my vehicle. It always works as advertised and is easy to use. Great for shopping before you go to the dealers.

Concerned Customer Raleigh, NC

Cars.com is only for dealers. We posted an ad late Saturday night to sell a personal vehicle when the dealerships were closed. A local dealership IMMEDIATELY posted a competing add, for the same vehicle, different color for a much lower price. Why did cars.com take our money for our posting if they have an arrangement with dealerships to immediately and automatically under price us? Use Craig's List if you want to sell a car. cars.com is only for Dealers, apparently.

JP Ellicott City, MD

Their payment calculator appears to be broken. When I used a simple excel spreadsheet to calculate payments and compared the two answers...... the dollar amounts were different. Math is math, and you guessed it, the calculator gave me higher monthly payments than the mathematical calculation. Do it yourself and witness the sleezyness of institutional car dealing. I won't hold my breath for an answer, this sight leaves me feeling sick to my stomach in that you can not even trust a brand name website to give you a simple honest answer. Thumbs down for their payment calculator.

David Behnawa La Mesa, CA

I wish there was a negative 5 rating for this company and i would have chosen that. The sales team and cancellation department rip you off although i was advertising with them for 5 years. i have collection letter without any correspondence after 8 months of cancellation and they want to collect over $3,000. Very bad business ethic and practice and most likely take them to court. i also will be warning other car dealer about their unfair practice and rip off schemes.

Ethan Guilbeau Richton, MS

This site is a pretty good site for finding the right type of vehicle for you. My only recommendation is that they require their sellers to include more detailed pictures of the vehicles

Michelle W Coraopolis, PA

I used this service when I was looking at purchasing a new car. It was super helpful for me to get a ballpark of what I could afford and extremely user friendly.

Landon Robison Layton, UT

I really liked their website. They set it up easy so even someone who isn't great with computers could understand how to work it. They have a lot of results too.

J B Sandy, UT

What a great selection of cars. Really easy interface for searching vehicles!

Yolanda Queer Shelley, ID

Cars.com doesn't just specialize in car searches, but you can also find repair services on their website as well.

Tina Klinedinst Homestead, PA

Chris was amazing got us in a truck with very little down. Very caring and respectful amazing company.

Kori Travis FL

This website will list out every possible detail you need for the car you are looking for

Roger Paradis

they are a good sounding board to get an Idea for prices and availability. Have not purchased from them as I find better deals.

Tiffany I Gaithersburg, MD

This site provided so much information when car shopping. I was able to browse by year, model, and trim level. It was a great researching tool.

Nell Damascus, MD

I used this sight to find our most recent car. It was nice to browse inventory in your area and compare prices and quality from home

Mason Allen Provo, UT

Feels like one big page of car ads. Search page is cluttered and makes deals seem better than they really are. You can filter by how good the "deal" is on the car, which is interesting.

Ashley Vildor Tallahassee, FL

There are some great filters on this site that led me to exactly the type of car I needed. They include cars that are reasonably priced!

Maryann Renteria (Mckrae) Phoenix, AZ

I love my new car! It’s a Nissan Pathfinder. I love my car and am super happy with all the bells and whistles it came with!❤️

David T Draper, UT

When I need a unique car (could be color, packages, etc.), I use cars.com. It has an amazing selection and I can always find what I am looking for.

Windy Payton New Orleans, LA

Like they company very helpful and resourceful and helps you find whatever you want and need as for a vehicle that you spending your money on very helpful