CarMax Logo

6.3

LAST UPDATED: May 18th, 2022

If you’re looking to buy a car from—or sell your car to— a trusted brand name, CarMax is certainly worth being one of the first options you try. The company’s first location opened in 1993 as an experiment suggested by executives at the Circuit City electronics corporation. The project, nicknamed “Honest Rick’s Used Cars”, was meant to expand Circuit City’s enterprise into other arenas. What became known as CarMax fulfilled that goal, growing rapidly across the United States through various acquisitions of car manufacturing real estate.

Currently headquartered in Richmond, Virginia, the company currently operates 195 used car stores in 94 markets. CarMax.com strives to offer superior quality used and certified pre-owned vehicles, as well as friendly service to its customers. The CarMax company has consistently been named as one of FORTUNE® 500’s “100 Best Companies to Work For” for 10 straight years. It has been serving customers for over 59 years, holding themselves to a high standard of integrity with their services and products.

Read on for CarMax pros and cons, plus CarMax reviews from users.

Kelley Blue Book Logo
#1 Kelley Blue Book chevron_right
CarFax Logo
#2 CarFax chevron_right
Autotrader Logo
#3 Autotrader chevron_right

The Good

• Focus on Customer Experience
  • Quality Inspection & Guarantees
  • Transfer Used Cars to a Location Near You
  • Great Used Car Resources & Tools
  • Sell or Trade-In Options

Focus on Customer Experience

CarMax is the largest used car retailer on and off the internet, allowing customers to shop for vehicles the same way they shop for products at what they call "big-box" retailers-sort of like a Costco or Sam's Club for the car shopping and buying experience. This refers to promising car shoppers an affordable purchase price with a no-haggle price model, a broad selection of CarMax Quality Certified Pre-Owned vehicles, and superior customer service.

CarMax's car buying process is based on the results of a notable consumer survey the company conducted back in 1991. The survey asked everyday consumers about their preferences when it comes to the process of buying a car. The answers below are what define today's CarMax's shopping experience. What this means for you the customer:

• Customers said they don't like playing games, so CarMax lets you know the price right away, not after hours of haggling and mind games.
  • Customers said they don't like their time being wasted, so CarMax lets you have one salesperson work with you from start to finish who won't make you drive all over town to find the right car.
  • Customers said they want security, so the company inspects and reconditions all cars and backs them with a CarMax 30 day warranty so you don't have to worry what will happen when you drive off the lot. They also come with a free AutoCheck vehicle history report.
  • Customers wanted more fun and less pressure from car salespeople, so CarMax employees are trained to offer assistance without being pushy.

Quality Inspection & Guarantees

CarMax has a sizeable listing of used cars (new cars as well) that support its promise to offer security to customers. Each used vehicle has to be CarMax Quality Certified, meaning every used car must pass a Certified Quality Inspection.

Each used car sold also comes with a 5-Day Money-Back Guarantee, as well as a 30-Day Limited Warranty (and a 60-Day Warranty in Connecticut, Minnesota and Rhode Island and 90 Days in Massachusetts and New York).

Additionally, each used car buyer has the option of purchasing a MaxCare Extended Service plan covering the following:

• Climate control
  • Engine
  • Steering
  • Suspension
  • Transmission

The extended warranty is offered through MaxCare, a third-party warranty company. Deductibles start at $50 per visit. Customers who purchase the extended warranty will also receive emergency roadside assistance and rental reimbursement. The website provides a free coverage estimate based on how many miles you drive, your type of car, and your desired deductible.

Transfer Used Cars to a Location Near You

CarMax can transfer any used car you are considering to a local car dealership near you, so you can test drive it at your convenience. Transfer fees may be applicable, but oftentimes this service is free.

Consumers are encouraged to ask a CarMax sales representative about this nationwide transfer service and any possible fees ahead of time.

There is no obligation to buy the car once it is transferred.

Great Used Car Resources & Tools

There are plenty of resources at CarMax.com to help you find a vehicle. Read thousands of research articles, ratings, and reviews on the CarMax website.

For used car shoppers, this car retailer has a nice array of tools like a payment calculator to calculate and compare monthly payments and overall affordability.

What's unique, however, is their Tax, Title, Tags, and Fees Calculator and their MPG Savings Calculator. The Tax, Title, Tags, and Fees Calculator helps you figure out what sales tax, title, and tags fees you will need to pay, according to what state you reside in. All you have to do is select your state and vehicle price range and hit the Calculate button. If you're unsure about what fee rules and regulations apply to your next auto purchase, this is a perfect car shopper's tool.

The MPG (Miles Per Gallon) Savings calculator allows you to see how a vehicle's fuel economy will affect your bottom line. It actually allows you to compare two cars at once to see how they stack up against each other. This is a great tool to determine long-term maintenance costs for car ownership. To find out how much you'll save (or lose), locate the desired car's gas mileage on the Carmax vehicle profiles you selected, then fill in the average MPG of two cars you'd like to compare and hit "Calculate Savings."

Sell or Trade-In Options

CarMax.com will also buy or trade-in your current vehicle no matter what condition it is in. An owner can get a free written offer that is good for 7 days at any CarMax dealership location. If you choose to sell your car to CarMax, you will receive a bank draft on the spot that may be deposited in your bank right away.

Another unique component for consumers is being able to sell their car to CarMax. Although CarMax is not the only car buying service site doing this, it is the only one that offers a unique appraisal process to see what your car is worth. The appraisal process looks like this:

• Fast and free—your appraisal can take as little as 30 minutes and you're welcome to watch while you wait.
  • No obligation—CarMax will buy your car even if you don't buy theirs.
  • No appointment needed—bring your car in for an appraisal any time they're open.
  • CarMax appraisers—specially trained to evaluate the cars they buy.
  • The written offer—it's good for seven days at any CarMax location.
  • Fast payment—upon selling CarMax your car, you'll receive a bank draft on the spot!

The appraisal process is Step two in a streamlined, no-hassle, three-step selling process—the result of the code of conduct based on consumer's preferences previously mentioned.

• Step One is to bring in your car to one of CarMax's dealer locations. Making an appointment is optional, but you'd probably be better off making one—especially if you have a busy schedule.
  • Step Two is to get a written offer. This comes after the appraisal process and is good for seven days.
  • Step Three is the final step where you have the option to complete the sale transaction, trade it, or think it over. CarMax will buy your car regardless of make, miles, or condition.

The Bad

• Issues with MPG Savings Calculator
  • Spread Out Locations

Issues with MPG Savings Calculator

CarMax has a lot to offer used car buyers and sellers with only a few inconveniences. For example, the MPG Savings calculator is a great tool-it would be even greater if you could just find out the miles per gallon savings on one car instead of having to compare two. When searching the site, if you're only interested in one vehicle, you can't use the tool.

Spread Out Locations

Another inconvenience is that if you are not living near one of CarMax's locations, taking advantage of 'sell to CarMax' or trade-in process may not be viable. As store locations are so spread out and possibly in a state other than your own, you may need to make travel arrangements or you may be unable to afford the trip either time-wise or money-wise. (This is where the Tax, title, tags, and fees calculator comes in handy).

The Bottom Line

CarMax offers lots of tools to help people with buying and selling cars, trucks, and SUVs. What makes CarMax so massive is that, unlike many online auto companies, they are not just an internet business. The company has brick-and-mortar car dealerships around the country—although very spread out.

Getting to one of their locations may be an issue, but since CarMax will buy your car regardless of make, miles, or condition, if you plan on selling your car or are looking to buy one yourself, their website is one worth exploring.

View Best Car Finder Companies

3.6

Freda D CAMPBELL St Louis, MO

If I could give this company a negative 0, I would. I found my dream car on their website and paid 599 dollars to have it transferred to the Bristol, TN from TX. The car gets transferred and I get a message the car is undergoing a post transfer inspection and I would be notified when it is ready. I get an email a week later that my transaction was completed. I go online to see what is going on. I see that I have no orders. So I enter the stock number of the car. I get a message the car was sold in GA. Then I get a call from the Bristol, TN lot saying no-one knows how this happened but they will help me find another car and give me my money back. I said no I just want my money. What no one understands is I have waited 40 years for this car. I have dreamed of this specific car and all of the bells and whistles for 40 years. When you let the dream of another person fall through the crack of your business and then have the audacity to say we can find you another c ar. NO YOU CAN'T this car was authentic even down to the color and detail on the seats. Word of mouth travels and I plan to go on my social media pages and let everyone I know to never deal with CARMAX because they will take advantage of you especially if you a woman.

Mario Martin Montgomery, TX

I'm not sure how I managed all these years without the assistance of CarMax. I've never responded favorably to "haggling" and car salespersons "over-enthusiasm". My first experience with CarMax was not only favorable, it was a easy car purchasing experience. I appreciate that CarMax has proven themselves to have quality vehicles, automotive service integrity, and transparent car buying expertise. Thank you CarMax!

D Imes Temecula, CA

BE CAREFUL! BATE & SWITCH COMPANY! I had my car appraised through you Murrieta, CA store and they decreased my original offer by $4,000 dollars with no justifications given to me. Pointing out small dirt spots, claiming paint damage. A waist of my time and ridiculous. I will be sure to tell everyone of this companies illegal and scam practices.

Leon Thomas Cary, NC

I made a purchase at CarMax on 1/12/22. Originally I had given them a great review, that was until I had to deal with the failed inspection and their incompetence when dealing with their service department. I have had this vehicle for 2 1/2 months and have had 5 service appointments and not 1 time did the mechanics repair my issue. I totally do not recommend purchasing a car from the Carmax in Raleigh NC. The sales group did a nice job getting me into the car I wanted, but they clearly didn’t inspect the car before selling it to me. I had a busted speaker that took almost 3 months for them to order and replace, now I am dealing with squeaky breaks. Ive had to go to the shop 3 times for breaks and rotors. I went to the shop today for the break problems, this is the 4th time in 3 months that I have had to take off work to address this issue. Shortly after leaving the service center I hear the same breaks squeaking that I brought the car in for. So now I have a 5th appointment to get breaks repaired. Sad but true!! Do not purchase from this dealer. I also filed a complaint with the BBB, CarMax hasn’t even responded to the complaint. SMH!!!

Lynette Jorgensen Herriman, UT

CarMax has a wide variety of vehicles at competitive prices. The website shows the price and fees of the vehicle you are interested in so there are not surprises or guessing what the vehicle would cost. I appreciate their transparency!

Cam Hall Palmyra, VA

I've used CarMax to trade-in my car, buy a car, and learn more about cars through their wealth of info. When I traded in my car, they made sure I had the best offer by one-upping a competitor immediately, no questions asked. When I purchased a car they answered all of my questions, offered multiple test drives, and even offered a significant return policy. I also use Carmax constantly when browsing for other vehicles and look at their AWESOME pictures/videos for cars, and use their search and filtering on their site. CarMax helped reinstate trust in car dealerships for me after years of bad experiences.

Angie San Antonio, TX

They make it very easy to finance a car My monthly payments are only $167 a month. And very understanding when your late with your payment.

Anna Nelson Raleigh, NC

My husband and I have purchased cars from Carmax and nowhere else since 2008. Although prices on vehicles are slightly higher than other places, we've been loyal to carmax due to outstanding customer service in the past. Our experience this time with Capital Blvd Raleigh location was extremely bad. So bad that Carmax has lost our loyalty. We needed to buy two cars and had plans to buy both at Carmax. We noticed the process has changed a lot so it seems like Carmax has streamlined to reduce cost of manpower causing extremely bad customer service. The sales manager lacks care to our concerns and just wanted us to complete the transaction so that he could push us over to someone else's responsiblity (service). Not only did he not hear our concerns and did not address them, when he handed us off to service area, there is some kind of communication disconnect there as well. They kept the car after we had already purchased to "check out" the concerns. We got a call three business days later to come pick it up so when I got there, no one in the service center knew about my car being there to be checked out. I had to have them go find Kejuan the sales manager for them to find my car. Kejuan came and said that he had told my husband about all the items they addressed so I took his word for it. When I got home, my husband asked me if they fixed everything and I said that Kejuan said he talked to him so that's why I didn't ask anything. My husband said Kejuan did not tell him anything. We discovered a lot of items not taken care of after looking at the car again. We called the carmax corporate number to complain and the person there was great. We were contacted quickly by Kavon the service manager who gave us the customer service attention that we had experienced in years past and that we are used to with Carmax. We emphasized that we do not live that close so wanted to limit how many times we drive there to get serviced since it is adding miles which takes away from our maxcare warranty. He scheduled our appointment to service it and we agreed to 8am on a Friday morning so that he could get us in and out as soon as he could that day and he said if we needed a loaner while we waited that he would help us with that ...but when my husband showed up at 8am that morning, Kavon was not working and the ladies that were there said that Kavon did not tell them we were coming at 8am so they refused to touch the car until 10 and he sat in the waiting area and had to hear them talking and joking making him feel uncomfortable and not happy about how he was being treated. By 12pm, my husband followed up on the car and they said should be done soon. By 1pm he inquired about a loaner because he can't sit there all day and the response was absolutely not. By 2pm he inquired again and pushed harder about a loaner since this is taking so long and was told no again and magically the car is "ready". They give him the car and only some items were addressed while all the other items that Kavon said would also be taken care of was not. We are so upset because if we wanted these items fixed then we have to come back out for another service visit. My husband called the corporate carmax number again saying we don't want to have to drive back out here to have the rest fixed and wanted them to keep the car and give us a loaner until they resolved it all. The corporate number called the Capital Blvd Raleigh branch and called him back saying that branch won't do it unless the car was not driveable due to a safety concern. So now we are just so upset that since we are in the 30 day return window, we wanted to return it just due to the extremely bad customer service. We cooled off and due to not wanting to do too much to impact my credit history, I've decided that we can keep this car but are now no longer loyal to carmax. We have purchased a second car from another dealership that is not carmax since this experience due to the loss of our loyalty. The Capital Blvd Raleigh branch has made it clear that maintaining our loyalty to Carmax is not important.

Frank Giordano Richlands, NC

Brought a car in for an appraisal. After waiting 45 minutes for them to photograph it, inspect it, drive it and then process the data I got their offer - it was less than a third of what KBB lists as the AVERAGE trade-in value from a dealer. It was less than a sixth of what the high end range is for a private sale. Considering the car is nearly mint I was floored with the lowball offer they made. Perhaps even more troubling was the price of the cars they had in their lot, which I was checking out as they were appraising my car. They aren't just higher than most, they're nearly on a par with new car prices, but they're used. I get the convenience issue and all that, but this is crazy. This was my first time at a Carmax, and I neither bought or sold a vehicle, but I did get their appraisal and I did see the prices on the vehicles in their lot and I can tell you I would never do business with them. They were very friendly, the place is well organized, modern and clean and they did have a decent selection of cars.

Heather Riverton, UT

Carmax provides a great used car shopping experience. They have lots of vehicle options on their lot. So, it's easy to see and test drive various options. Also, you can see the vehicle options online that they have at their physical location before going in.

Charlotte P Herriman, UT

We have purchased 2 vehicles from CarMax over the past few years and every time it's a very hassle free environment. There is not pressure to buy, the sales people are always very friendly and let you walk around and look with out hoovering. They will appraise your trade in and give you a fair price all while you browse. They will take your trade in even if you don't buy from them. There online site is usually pretty up to date and it's easy to maneuver to find exactly what you are looking for.

Brittney Mac Gregor Louisville, KY

CarMax says they are no frills car sales. They offer their cars at the rock bottom prices and do not barter because they guarantee it's the best deal. So far I have found it to be true. We bought a Dodge Charger from Car Max. We had looked at other lots and Car Max did appear to have the cheapest price, from the few we looked at. I have to say thought, it was unnerving to not be able to barter the price. I couldn't help but feel like I was getting ripped off, even though they did have the lowest price. I can't help but wonder if I had tried to barter with the other lots, could I have gotten the car cheaper??? The whole idea of no haggling over the price makes me uncomfortable.

Becca Jones Bel Air, MD

The start of a car search can be overwhelming and a real hassle. However neither of these are the case with CarMax. When searching for a new car, I was able to search for exactly what I wanted and within my set budget. I was able to search for cars close to my area, within my budget, with the proper mileage as well as the make I was looking for. After setting up an appointment online, I was able to purchase my car after test driving in person. Now I’m the proud owner of a Hyundai Elantra all thanks to the CarMax website.

Bryan Peterson Herriman, UT

I have traded in a car and bought a car from CarMax. I have also traded in a car but not bought. The value I got for my trade-in was several thousand more than what I would have had at a traditional dealership

Jesse Jorgensen Herriman, UT

I like how I was able to see all the fees and know what the final price of my car was going to be before I went to the dealership. The only part of the car buying experience that I didn't like was how pushy the sales person was over the service warranty.

Taylor Jorgensen Herriman, UT

I have been impressed with the ease of finding quality used cars on CarMax website. They are very transparent with their prices/fees. There is no pressure from their salespeople.

Jenni Zollinger Aiken, SC

My mother asked me to help her with selling her car. We went to CarMax and were very pleased with the price we were given as well as the helpful staff there who made the transaction very smooth. She was very pleased. Will certainly use them again.

Steven Shimmin

Bought both of my children's first cars there, fair price, good selection Reasonable priced and good quality cars. Sales people can be a little pushy and rude but that may be typical of that profession? I will go there again

David Swenson Commerce City, CO

Amazing tool that changes the game of shopping for abused car. I used Carmax to find the exact Toyota Tacoma I wanted (in the middle of Nebraska)! I will use them again in the future because of their huge national inventory and search database.

KimDugan Kailua, HI

CarMax does, as advertised, make finding a car easy. You can search online or go straight to the lot and peruse through the many options. There is typically a wide variety of options that span different price ranges and they have flexible plans for down payments and monthly installments. This seems attractive to a first time buyer, right? Maybe. The thing is, you need to remember that it is a business; and despite the cult-like happy customer service they provide, they are out to make a profit. Here is the deal: the junior-most sales associates cannot give you any deals. In fact, there is precious little room for negotiation, in my experience, unlike a family-owned dealership where you might be able to tug on heart strings or point out discrepancies in their condition report. If you even want to entertain these things, either talk to a senior sales associate or look elsewhere. Their prices are generally set in stone. If you are trying to sell to CarMax and it is your first time doing a trade-in or sell-back, understand again...they are a business. You are going to probably get a better deal setting up a direct sale. I bought a car from them for $14,000, paid it off within three years and asked for a quote. They offered $750. If you go in understanding that this is how it works, that's great - just make sure you do your research beforehand. One of the biggest benefits to using CarMax is that you can research the car before you visit the lot and get detailed information. That way you aren't stepping onto the lot and being guided solely by the sales associate. This puts a lot of the power back in your hands. The greatest downside? Customer service is a little rough - they have to route you to a person to route you to another person who routes you to a central customer service place...then if you have a dealership-related question, they have to reach back to the dealership. It's a little messy and rather unfortunate. Ultimately, not a bad place to shop if you have: A. Done your research B. A good(ish) credit score C. Already understand how a car dealership works

susie Littleton, CO

As I strolled thru all the reviews and was shocked to read that there were bad reviews. I bought a 2016 Mercedes E350 last spring I saw it on line and quickly went down to see if it was avail and it was my husband was coming in to town 2 days later and they were happy to put the car on hold (there were 2 other customers looking at the car as well). I always do my due diligence and look at cost comparisons of the same car and the Mercedes dealership in Peoria was selling the same car for $10,000 more. Two days later I went and purchased the car and by far it was the easiest transaction I have ever been thru I was there less than an hour even with financing. Fast forward 2 1/2 months down the road my break censor went off and I was out of state. I made an appointment with the Mercedes dealership then realized they gave me 90 days for a Carmax warranty so I took it to the nearest Carmax dealership they found the back breaks needed to be replaced as they said when I purchased the car the break pads were on the "line". Needless to say they fixed the breaks no charge and the service department was top notch and very professional as was the dealership that I bought it from in Arizona Tolleson dealership. I will never go to anywhere else to purchase a car CarMax as a life customer!!

Aline DeSoto, TX

I've bought 4 cars from CarMax & I've had a great experience each time. I just recently purchased my 4th this past weekend. Unlike other dealers, they don't drag you through a long, all day process of haggling & trying to get you to buy extra bs. You go in, find what you like, test drive, look at financing, review if you want warranty, GAP, & go to signing. If there's any little imperfections like chipped paint or what not, you can bring it back within 30 days and they'll touch it up. I made the mistake once & bought a car from another dealer outside of CarMax & found out the frame was twisted. CarMax guarantees their vehicles. I will never buy a car from anywhere else but CarMax.

Rich Mcadams Los Angeles, CA

Ken the service manager should be fired the way he was yelling at me in his shop the other day I bought a 2017 Prius Prime CarMax had it for 4 months that came from Sacramento arrived at the Torrance store do not buy from the store they do not check the car's air filter was completely packed full of dirt my gas mileage was 38 miles per gallon and I was wondering what the hell is going on and that I checked the air filter after was sputtering the other day and it was completely full of dirt I was so pissed at them and myself for not checking it I just had them do a oil change yesterday and I said to Ken the service manager I would like to have that old oil filter he said I cannot give that to you I have to crush it before I give it to you I said what is that about you liar r u b s in me right now so he had me follow him to my car in the shop to show me the oil filter then I noticed my kayak was being squished on top of the lift when they had it up on the rack I said bring that kayak down right now bring the car down right now he said get out of my shop get out of my shop right now don't buy from CarMax Ken should be fired I'm sick to my stomach what a Despicable place left several messages on their phone no call back been waiting for parts now for a month someone should review the video and watch that guy yell at me and watch my kayak being squished I'm so sick to my stomach never again never never again and still no call back corporate CarMax you call me back

larry king The Bronx, NY

It is best that one does his homework before buying a car from CarMax. Their prices are non-negotiable and are on the high side compared to private party sales and other car dealers. If you purchase and finance a car with lenders in its network, the interest rate is nearly four times the rate of that offered by one's own financial institution. CarMax does not let you check out the car with an outside source before purchasing it. The sales persons are not honest and reliable. Thus, it is not recommended that one buy a car from CarMax. Only one with money to burn and who don't mind being ripped off and taken advantage of would buy a car from CarMax.

emblair Herriman, UT

Very helpful in locating used cars near me when searching for a car for my teenager. Directed me to the right lots that had the types of cars I was interested in.

Luke Swierczynski Waterford, MI

They offered me the competitive offer on my car instantly and didn't lower it at all upon inspection when I turned it in. Walked out with a check same day and didn't have to deal with anything else.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Superb experience with CarMax. I found a luxury car at commuter car prices. The inventory of cars was immense. The quality of cars was awesome. Very cleaned up, beyond what I had expected. And the staff was on the ball. They made the entire car buying experience easy. This is not what used car buying used to be. CarMax has changed the approach and it has made all the difference for the positive and the exceptional.

gen xer talks Chicago, IL

I purchased a Fiat Pop from them that was supposed to have a clean record, I got it home and the next day there was an error that effected the emissions test. I brought it in, they turned off the error, so I took it to the mechanics and found out that the car had been in an accident and had at least the bumper rebuilt. They are neither trustworthy nor honest

Kara Turkson Tallahassee, FL

CarMax consolidates the car buying experience so that you end up with a wide range of options but not all the confusion on where to go and who you need to speak with.

dali lama West Chester, PA

What? ---- no zero star rating I can give CARMAX? I am so stupid for not reading reviews before I went with check in hand to buy a car! (They have terrible reviews.) They got me in the door with a lie that had me pay "Shipping" for a car to be delivered to my area (KOP). Lorrain G emailed to ask if I have any questions about the vehicle. Yes, "Does, it smell like smoke, Lorrain? NO, no smoke noted." Pretty straightforward question and answer. Well, it smelled like a stinkbomb of smoke odor. The light-colored leather back seats had two large, ugly very rusty "rail" marks from a child seat placed there. I was supposed to pay $25 grand for a piece of filthy crap? Yes, according to them. No one had even looked at anything in that car, much less inspected anything. It was such an easy sale, but they had to lie and claim everything's great! After taking it home for the 24 hour to see how bad it was, we returned the car. I emailed Lorrain G about the smoke issue and somehow, she is not to be heard from again!!!! Oh, Lorrain, Lorrain - you have no intention on answering me after I politely called you out on your "incorrect" answer to my question. Why am I polite to LIARS? What a SCAM. I am an oldster who does not have money to pay for fraud. DO NOT BUY from CARMAX - DON'T EVEN Look At the Cars online, they lie on anything they feel like. Their ad for this car said new tires, well, when we pulled out of the parking lot, the car skidded all over. I don't drive cars with crappy tires so they would have to be replaced even though they were listed as "New". What a waste of human space - and a giant waste of time. I cannot think of enough insults to describe this place. I really thought they might be different and if they are the best of used car buying, that's telling you something - or nothing! I feel for everyone getting bamboozled by CARMAX. Out the money I can't afford, who cares, certainly NOT "CARE-NOT" CARMAX. Better find another way..., or you'll be very sorry. You don't the have time or the heart to have to write a review like I've had to do. Try somewhere else.

SPORTS TOUGH Winston-Salem, NC

I wouldn’t work at Carmax Winston Salem location for all the money in the world! They had me wait for an interview on Thursday at 2pm. I waited and never got the call! I will make sure this is reported and posted all over the internet. After reviewing this company its a Sorry location and its reflected everywhere. The scam work thats hidden on their cars and parts installed from junkyards are a disgrace. Read all reviews across the country. Winston Salem and Greensboro are awful! Thank god they never called, its a high turnover job and if you look they are always hiring. I visited the Winston Salem location and I could see the trash they covered up now that I know what to look for from past and current employees. They even spray paint the carpets.

MFlower Richmond, VA

I’ve always heard great things about CarMax until recently. This review is what I know about the Richmond, VA, locations: Broad St. and Midlothian. A mechanic, their customer rep and I all called the service departments in both location. The phones just rang nonstop or said to leave a message. I ended up going in and 3 of the service team reps, not sure if they’re advisors were huddled together and just chatting and laughing. I mentioned how Ive been trying to call and they each looked at each other stating my phone didn’t ring. We bought our vehicle here and the sales department picks up no problem but service, that’s another story. Needless to say we had a few things done to the vehicle that should have been caught during inspection before selling it to us.

Karen Torino Tallahassee, FL

CarMax is great for finding cars for sale. They have even offered good money for a car that I owned due to a shortage in a specific piece. They are fair and always willing to work with you.

Sydney Charleston South Jordan, UT

Bought a car from Carmax & they were wonderful! Salesman was respectful, helpful & knowledgeable. Entire process was seamless. The office was clean and everyone was very friendly

Kaysha Love Las Vegas, NV

CarMax is a company that thrives to ensure their customers are getting the most truthful rate on their cars. Ive been pleasantly surprised to see just how much this company genuinely cares about giving people the best price along with offering great warranties.

Han Sell

I purchased 2 cars through CarMax. They found the exact car I was looking for and had me in the driver's seat within a few days for the first car and a few weeks for the second because it was delivered from out of state. Great customer service. I will use them again.

Paul Weimar

They are great professionals. Every step of the way. It starts at the front door. There were no salesmen outside that rush up to us. No fighting to help us. They asked how they could help. They took time to explain Two hours later we drove away in our new to us used car. Wonderful.

Arte Ledyard Hilliard, OH

I went to have my 2007 Toyota 4Runner appraised at CarMax on Sawmill Road in Dublin, Ohio and this is my experience. On the positive side, making an appointment online was easy and the people at this location were very friendly. The appraisal process was pretty straight forward as well - you provide the basics on your car, hand over your keys, and about 30 minutes later you will receive a written appraisal that is good for 1 week. It all went smoothly, but on the downside the offer I received for my vehicle was the lowest of all the places I checked and 33% lower than the highest offer (Autotrader.com was the best followed by Cars.com and Carvana.com). As with anything, it's always wise to shop around for the best offer, and my experience with Carmax proved that point.

Hannah Pleasant Grove, UT

We had a great experience with CarMax. We test-drove a 2011 Nissan Rogue and enjoyed a pressure-free, friendly experience. We were very thankful. We didn't end up buying because we changed our mind on the model, but we were happy with the experience nonetheless.

Matthew Wadley San Diego, CA

We purchased our 2008 Honda Pilot from them. Everything was straight forward and they had a lot of options for us to choose from. There was no pressure to buy, they pretty much said here is the breakdown and do you want to buy. There was no getting a manager to try to convince us or strong-arm us. I was actually a little upset that I couldn't haggle with them to save a couple of hundred dollars

Greg West Valley City, UT

We have bought three vehicles from CarMax and recommended it to our grown children and friends. We have heard nothing but good comments from them and our experience has been great. My wife surprised me with a badly needed car upgrade from CarMax. She chose between two vehicles, not sure which I would prefer. They told her she could trade it in about 15 minutes if it was within three days. After driving the one she chose, I decided I would prefer the other and the switch was totally painless.

Stephanie Love Herriman, UT

Car max was great when I bought a car from them. I love that they don’t haggle the prices with you and the price is the price and I always feel like I’m getting a great deal. The customer service was awesome too. They answered all my questions and some. They took me out test driving several vehicles without getting annoyed. I even took a few out several times and never felt any pressure or annoyance. They were great to work with.

Lorna Johnston West Valley City, UT

We have bought three cars from CarMax and the experience was far better than any other car buying experiences we have had. The second car we got was a surprise for my husband and it was down to two cars. They told me if he decided he wanted to pick a the one I didn’t get for him, he could trade if it was within three days. He liked the one I picked but decided he would rather have the other one. The trade was quick and totally pain free. Every interaction with CarMax has been great.

Ted Johnson Pleasant Grove, UT

I have used CarMax for 4 cars to date and counting. I don't have to worry about a used car breaking down with CarMax and their no haggle way of doing things is refreshing. Love their selections of vehicles and they have a wide variety for everyone. The people are great to work with and I like their shop as well if I need a fix up and their warranties are the best.

kristin Gneiting Pleasant Grove, UT

I have used CarMax for about 7 cars. I have grown to love their service, their no haggle salesman are the best. They are more interested in making me happy and finding what works for me than making the sale. I also like their extended warranties, their great quality and inspected cars and their ability to be able to match you up with a loan that is best for you.

sherry hodges Tempe, AZ

Bought a luxury car with low mileage. What can go wrong? Cabin filled up with carbon monoxide. Returned it the next day. They are currently advertising it for sale. Dint know if they even fixed it. Scary place to buy a car.

Rick Froid Park Ridge, IL

I’ve used CarMax to buy and to sell. Both were pleasant experiences. I received great service and a very reasonable price.

Morgan Tennant Shelley, ID

CarMax has always been on my list of places to search for vehicles. Their website works well, and it's easy to filter out what I want so I can quickly look for my next vehicle. I love that feature!

Yolanda Queer Shelley, ID

CarMax's option to deliver to your home is very enticing, however, the cost of home delivery is very expensive, especially if you live far away from the dealership. It seems nice, but it feels like a trick. Good service, though.

V. Acree Atlanta, GA

I recently traded my car to Carmax Lithia Springs, GA for a 2019 Jeep Cherokee that would not accelerate on the highway. Carmax failed to conduct an adequate assessment of this vehicle before selling it to me putting me and my family at risk for an accident. When I returned the car less than 24 hours later, the manager refused to return my trade and advised that if I wanted to keep my GA trade in tax credit, I would have to buy another car from them. I searched the Carmax site for a week looking for another Jeep comparable to my original purchase, but didn't find any with both a clear title and a clean Carfax report. Needing a car asap for medical visits and other essential travel, I purchased a car from another dealer and subsequently lost my opportunity for the GA tax credit. I later discovered that Carmax could have and should have returned my car upon request but didn't . At the time of purchase, I was informed that I had 3 days to return the vehicle, but was never advised that I couldn't get my car back. After weeks of broken promises, wasted time, and being lied to, Carmax refused to make this right by providing compensation for my loss. I have made multiple unsuccessful attempts to resolve this issue with the location's General Manager Greg F and their customer care team member Kay. I believe I have been taken advantage of after reading several Twitter post describing similar unscrupulous aquisitons of trade-in cars from other consumers.