CarMax Logo

7.5

LAST UPDATED: September 20th, 2021

If you’re looking to buy a car from—or sell your car to— a trusted brand name, CarMax is certainly worth being one of the first options you try. The company’s first location opened in 1993 as an experiment suggested by executives at the Circuit City electronics corporation. The project, nicknamed “Honest Rick’s Used Cars”, was meant to expand Circuit City’s enterprise into other arenas. What became known as CarMax fulfilled that goal, growing rapidly across the United States through various acquisitions of car manufacturing real estate.

Currently headquartered in Richmond, Virginia, the company currently operates 195 used car stores in 94 markets. CarMax.com strives to offer superior quality used and certified pre-owned vehicles, as well as friendly service to its customers. The CarMax company has consistently been named as one of FORTUNE® 500’s “100 Best Companies to Work For” for 10 straight years. It has been serving customers for over 59 years, holding themselves to a high standard of integrity with their services and products.

Read on for CarMax pros and cons, plus CarMax reviews from users.

Kelley Blue Book Logo
#1 Kelley Blue Book chevron_right
CarGurus Logo
#2 CarGurus chevron_right
2.9
CarFax Logo
#3 CarFax chevron_right

The Good

• Focus on Customer Experience
  • Quality Inspection & Guarantees
  • Transfer Used Cars to a Location Near You
  • Great Used Car Resources & Tools
  • Sell or Trade-In Options

Focus on Customer Experience

CarMax is the largest used car retailer on and off the internet, allowing customers to shop for vehicles the same way they shop for products at what they call "big-box" retailers-sort of like a Costco or Sam's Club for the car shopping and buying experience. This refers to promising car shoppers an affordable purchase price with a no-haggle price model, a broad selection of CarMax Quality Certified Pre-Owned vehicles, and superior customer service.

CarMax's car buying process is based on the results of a notable consumer survey the company conducted back in 1991. The survey asked everyday consumers about their preferences when it comes to the process of buying a car. The answers below are what define today's CarMax's shopping experience. What this means for you the customer:

• Customers said they don't like playing games, so CarMax lets you know the price right away, not after hours of haggling and mind games.
  • Customers said they don't like their time being wasted, so CarMax lets you have one salesperson work with you from start to finish who won't make you drive all over town to find the right car.
  • Customers said they want security, so the company inspects and reconditions all cars and backs them with a CarMax 30 day warranty so you don't have to worry what will happen when you drive off the lot. They also come with a free AutoCheck vehicle history report.
  • Customers wanted more fun and less pressure from car salespeople, so CarMax employees are trained to offer assistance without being pushy.

Quality Inspection & Guarantees

CarMax has a sizeable listing of used cars (new cars as well) that support its promise to offer security to customers. Each used vehicle has to be CarMax Quality Certified, meaning every used car must pass a Certified Quality Inspection.

Each used car sold also comes with a 5-Day Money-Back Guarantee, as well as a 30-Day Limited Warranty (and a 60-Day Warranty in Connecticut, Minnesota and Rhode Island and 90 Days in Massachusetts and New York).

Additionally, each used car buyer has the option of purchasing a MaxCare Extended Service plan covering the following:

• Climate control
  • Engine
  • Steering
  • Suspension
  • Transmission

The extended warranty is offered through MaxCare, a third-party warranty company. Deductibles start at $50 per visit. Customers who purchase the extended warranty will also receive emergency roadside assistance and rental reimbursement. The website provides a free coverage estimate based on how many miles you drive, your type of car, and your desired deductible.

Transfer Used Cars to a Location Near You

CarMax can transfer any used car you are considering to a local car dealership near you, so you can test drive it at your convenience. Transfer fees may be applicable, but oftentimes this service is free.

Consumers are encouraged to ask a CarMax sales representative about this nationwide transfer service and any possible fees ahead of time.

There is no obligation to buy the car once it is transferred.

Great Used Car Resources & Tools

There are plenty of resources at CarMax.com to help you find a vehicle. Read thousands of research articles, ratings, and reviews on the CarMax website.

For used car shoppers, this car retailer has a nice array of tools like a payment calculator to calculate and compare monthly payments and overall affordability.

What's unique, however, is their Tax, Title, Tags, and Fees Calculator and their MPG Savings Calculator. The Tax, Title, Tags, and Fees Calculator helps you figure out what sales tax, title, and tags fees you will need to pay, according to what state you reside in. All you have to do is select your state and vehicle price range and hit the Calculate button. If you're unsure about what fee rules and regulations apply to your next auto purchase, this is a perfect car shopper's tool.

The MPG (Miles Per Gallon) Savings calculator allows you to see how a vehicle's fuel economy will affect your bottom line. It actually allows you to compare two cars at once to see how they stack up against each other. This is a great tool to determine long-term maintenance costs for car ownership. To find out how much you'll save (or lose), locate the desired car's gas mileage on the Carmax vehicle profiles you selected, then fill in the average MPG of two cars you'd like to compare and hit "Calculate Savings."

Sell or Trade-In Options

CarMax.com will also buy or trade-in your current vehicle no matter what condition it is in. An owner can get a free written offer that is good for 7 days at any CarMax dealership location. If you choose to sell your car to CarMax, you will receive a bank draft on the spot that may be deposited in your bank right away.

Another unique component for consumers is being able to sell their car to CarMax. Although CarMax is not the only car buying service site doing this, it is the only one that offers a unique appraisal process to see what your car is worth. The appraisal process looks like this:

• Fast and free—your appraisal can take as little as 30 minutes and you're welcome to watch while you wait.
  • No obligation—CarMax will buy your car even if you don't buy theirs.
  • No appointment needed—bring your car in for an appraisal any time they're open.
  • CarMax appraisers—specially trained to evaluate the cars they buy.
  • The written offer—it's good for seven days at any CarMax location.
  • Fast payment—upon selling CarMax your car, you'll receive a bank draft on the spot!

The appraisal process is Step two in a streamlined, no-hassle, three-step selling process—the result of the code of conduct based on consumer's preferences previously mentioned.

• Step One is to bring in your car to one of CarMax's dealer locations. Making an appointment is optional, but you'd probably be better off making one—especially if you have a busy schedule.
  • Step Two is to get a written offer. This comes after the appraisal process and is good for seven days.
  • Step Three is the final step where you have the option to complete the sale transaction, trade it, or think it over. CarMax will buy your car regardless of make, miles, or condition.

The Bad

• Issues with MPG Savings Calculator
  • Spread Out Locations

Issues with MPG Savings Calculator

CarMax has a lot to offer used car buyers and sellers with only a few inconveniences. For example, the MPG Savings calculator is a great tool-it would be even greater if you could just find out the miles per gallon savings on one car instead of having to compare two. When searching the site, if you're only interested in one vehicle, you can't use the tool.

Spread Out Locations

Another inconvenience is that if you are not living near one of CarMax's locations, taking advantage of 'sell to CarMax' or trade-in process may not be viable. As store locations are so spread out and possibly in a state other than your own, you may need to make travel arrangements or you may be unable to afford the trip either time-wise or money-wise. (This is where the Tax, title, tags, and fees calculator comes in handy).

The Bottom Line

CarMax offers lots of tools to help people with buying and selling cars, trucks, and SUVs. What makes CarMax so massive is that, unlike many online auto companies, they are not just an internet business. The company has brick-and-mortar car dealerships around the country—although very spread out.

Getting to one of their locations may be an issue, but since CarMax will buy your car regardless of make, miles, or condition, if you plan on selling your car or are looking to buy one yourself, their website is one worth exploring.

View Best Car Finder Companies

3.6

Brittney Mac Gregor Louisville, KY

CarMax says they are no frills car sales. They offer their cars at the rock bottom prices and do not barter because they guarantee it's the best deal. So far I have found it to be true. We bought a Dodge Charger from Car Max. We had looked at other lots and Car Max did appear to have the cheapest price, from the few we looked at. I have to say thought, it was unnerving to not be able to barter the price. I couldn't help but feel like I was getting ripped off, even though they did have the lowest price. I can't help but wonder if I had tried to barter with the other lots, could I have gotten the car cheaper??? The whole idea of no haggling over the price makes me uncomfortable.

dali lama West Chester, PA

What? ---- no zero star rating I can give CARMAX? I am so stupid for not reading reviews before I went with check in hand to buy a car! (They have terrible reviews.) They got me in the door with a lie that had me pay "Shipping" for a car to be delivered to my area (KOP). Lorrain G emailed to ask if I have any questions about the vehicle. Yes, "Does, it smell like smoke, Lorrain? NO, no smoke noted." Pretty straightforward question and answer. Well, it smelled like a stinkbomb of smoke odor. The light-colored leather back seats had two large, ugly very rusty "rail" marks from a child seat placed there. I was supposed to pay $25 grand for a piece of filthy crap? Yes, according to them. No one had even looked at anything in that car, much less inspected anything. It was such an easy sale, but they had to lie and claim everything's great! After taking it home for the 24 hour to see how bad it was, we returned the car. I emailed Lorrain G about the smoke issue and somehow, she is not to be heard from again!!!! Oh, Lorrain, Lorrain - you have no intention on answering me after I politely called you out on your "incorrect" answer to my question. Why am I polite to LIARS? What a SCAM. I am an oldster who does not have money to pay for fraud. DO NOT BUY from CARMAX - DON'T EVEN Look At the Cars online, they lie on anything they feel like. Their ad for this car said new tires, well, when we pulled out of the parking lot, the car skidded all over. I don't drive cars with crappy tires so they would have to be replaced even though they were listed as "New". What a waste of human space - and a giant waste of time. I cannot think of enough insults to describe this place. I really thought they might be different and if they are the best of used car buying, that's telling you something - or nothing! I feel for everyone getting bamboozled by CARMAX. Out the money I can't afford, who cares, certainly NOT "CARE-NOT" CARMAX. Better find another way..., or you'll be very sorry. You don't the have time or the heart to have to write a review like I've had to do. Try somewhere else.

SPORTS TOUGH Winston-Salem, NC

I wouldn’t work at Carmax Winston Salem location for all the money in the world! They had me wait for an interview on Thursday at 2pm. I waited and never got the call! I will make sure this is reported and posted all over the internet. After reviewing this company its a Sorry location and its reflected everywhere. The scam work thats hidden on their cars and parts installed from junkyards are a disgrace. Read all reviews across the country. Winston Salem and Greensboro are awful! Thank god they never called, its a high turnover job and if you look they are always hiring. I visited the Winston Salem location and I could see the trash they covered up now that I know what to look for from past and current employees. They even spray paint the carpets.

KimDugan Kailua, HI

CarMax does, as advertised, make finding a car easy. You can search online or go straight to the lot and peruse through the many options. There is typically a wide variety of options that span different price ranges and they have flexible plans for down payments and monthly installments. This seems attractive to a first time buyer, right? Maybe. The thing is, you need to remember that it is a business; and despite the cult-like happy customer service they provide, they are out to make a profit. Here is the deal: the junior-most sales associates cannot give you any deals. In fact, there is precious little room for negotiation, in my experience, unlike a family-owned dealership where you might be able to tug on heart strings or point out discrepancies in their condition report. If you even want to entertain these things, either talk to a senior sales associate or look elsewhere. Their prices are generally set in stone. If you are trying to sell to CarMax and it is your first time doing a trade-in or sell-back, understand again...they are a business. You are going to probably get a better deal setting up a direct sale. I bought a car from them for $14,000, paid it off within three years and asked for a quote. They offered $750. If you go in understanding that this is how it works, that's great - just make sure you do your research beforehand. One of the biggest benefits to using CarMax is that you can research the car before you visit the lot and get detailed information. That way you aren't stepping onto the lot and being guided solely by the sales associate. This puts a lot of the power back in your hands. The greatest downside? Customer service is a little rough - they have to route you to a person to route you to another person who routes you to a central customer service place...then if you have a dealership-related question, they have to reach back to the dealership. It's a little messy and rather unfortunate. Ultimately, not a bad place to shop if you have: A. Done your research B. A good(ish) credit score C. Already understand how a car dealership works

Sydney Charleston South Jordan, UT

Bought a car from Carmax & they were wonderful! Salesman was respectful, helpful & knowledgeable. Entire process was seamless. The office was clean and everyone was very friendly

Morgan Tennant Shelley, ID

CarMax has always been on my list of places to search for vehicles. Their website works well, and it's easy to filter out what I want so I can quickly look for my next vehicle. I love that feature!

Yolanda Queer Shelley, ID

CarMax's option to deliver to your home is very enticing, however, the cost of home delivery is very expensive, especially if you live far away from the dealership. It seems nice, but it feels like a trick. Good service, though.

V. Acree Atlanta, GA

I recently traded my car to Carmax Lithia Springs, GA for a 2019 Jeep Cherokee that would not accelerate on the highway. Carmax failed to conduct an adequate assessment of this vehicle before selling it to me putting me and my family at risk for an accident. When I returned the car less than 24 hours later, the manager refused to return my trade and advised that if I wanted to keep my GA trade in tax credit, I would have to buy another car from them. I searched the Carmax site for a week looking for another Jeep comparable to my original purchase, but didn't find any with both a clear title and a clean Carfax report. Needing a car asap for medical visits and other essential travel, I purchased a car from another dealer and subsequently lost my opportunity for the GA tax credit. I later discovered that Carmax could have and should have returned my car upon request but didn't . At the time of purchase, I was informed that I had 3 days to return the vehicle, but was never advised that I couldn't get my car back. After weeks of broken promises, wasted time, and being lied to, Carmax refused to make this right by providing compensation for my loss. I have made multiple unsuccessful attempts to resolve this issue with the location's General Manager Greg F and their customer care team member Kay. I believe I have been taken advantage of after reading several Twitter post describing similar unscrupulous aquisitons of trade-in cars from other consumers.

MFlower Richmond, VA

I’ve always heard great things about CarMax until recently. This review is what I know about the Richmond, VA, locations: Broad St. and Midlothian. A mechanic, their customer rep and I all called the service departments in both location. The phones just rang nonstop or said to leave a message. I ended up going in and 3 of the service team reps, not sure if they’re advisors were huddled together and just chatting and laughing. I mentioned how Ive been trying to call and they each looked at each other stating my phone didn’t ring. We bought our vehicle here and the sales department picks up no problem but service, that’s another story. Needless to say we had a few things done to the vehicle that should have been caught during inspection before selling it to us.

courtney tennant Salem, VA

CarMax has a great foundation, but when you put in a zip code it shows places way too far away. It makes it very easy to filter what options you want your car to have.

Mark Benson Nakhon Sawan, 60

I bought my wife’s Honda Accord off of CarMax.com. It was affordable and fairly easy to purchase. We got it in good condition and didn’t have to struggle with car salesmen to get it.

susie Littleton, CO

As I strolled thru all the reviews and was shocked to read that there were bad reviews. I bought a 2016 Mercedes E350 last spring I saw it on line and quickly went down to see if it was avail and it was my husband was coming in to town 2 days later and they were happy to put the car on hold (there were 2 other customers looking at the car as well). I always do my due diligence and look at cost comparisons of the same car and the Mercedes dealership in Peoria was selling the same car for $10,000 more. Two days later I went and purchased the car and by far it was the easiest transaction I have ever been thru I was there less than an hour even with financing. Fast forward 2 1/2 months down the road my break censor went off and I was out of state. I made an appointment with the Mercedes dealership then realized they gave me 90 days for a Carmax warranty so I took it to the nearest Carmax dealership they found the back breaks needed to be replaced as they said when I purchased the car the break pads were on the "line". Needless to say they fixed the breaks no charge and the service department was top notch and very professional as was the dealership that I bought it from in Arizona Tolleson dealership. I will never go to anywhere else to purchase a car CarMax as a life customer!!

Aline DeSoto, TX

I've bought 4 cars from CarMax & I've had a great experience each time. I just recently purchased my 4th this past weekend. Unlike other dealers, they don't drag you through a long, all day process of haggling & trying to get you to buy extra bs. You go in, find what you like, test drive, look at financing, review if you want warranty, GAP, & go to signing. If there's any little imperfections like chipped paint or what not, you can bring it back within 30 days and they'll touch it up. I made the mistake once & bought a car from another dealer outside of CarMax & found out the frame was twisted. CarMax guarantees their vehicles. I will never buy a car from anywhere else but CarMax.

Mike Rogers Anderson, IN

I WANT TO THANK CARMAX FOR SCREWING ME OUT A 2017 CADILLAC CTS AND A 2018 CTS I HAD THE TWO CARS ON HOLD . THE 1 7 had 8000 mi. for 26,500 the 18 had 8000 mi. for 29,500 BOTH CARS WERE SOLD OUT FROM UNDER ME. I FOUND A BRAND NEW 2019 CTS WITH 78 MI. FOR 34,000 NEVER BEEN TITLED CARMAX DID ME A FAVOR SCREW YOU VERY MUCH

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Superb experience with CarMax. I found a luxury car at commuter car prices. The inventory of cars was immense. The quality of cars was awesome. Very cleaned up, beyond what I had expected. And the staff was on the ball. They made the entire car buying experience easy. This is not what used car buying used to be. CarMax has changed the approach and it has made all the difference for the positive and the exceptional.

John Omaha, NE

Scheduled a test drive 2 days before driving 2 1/2 hours to Omaha Carmax dealer, arrived on time and had to wait, salesperson was just sitting there did not help us. Sat down and we told them a cash sale no finance. At that point the wheels fell off, had to see all proper insurance which we had, then only 20 minute test drive, they went to get car and it was filthy, got inside to drive vehicle was dirty, leftover food in car, still were going to buy the car, then wouldnt except check, then they wanted to see how much in account, then that wasnt good enough, I said you are really trying for a bad review, The salesman said i have had plenty. This was probably the worst experience I have ever had at a dealership, and my daughters worst too. We will never go back!!! Drove to different dealership found comparable car and purchased without the huge headache from Carmax

Mark Francis Lincolnton, NC

The way car buying should not be. We found a car online at carmax and sent a request. In a little while someone texted me from Carmax. We chatted for a little while and decided to reserve the vehicle for a test drive. I was told that it was reserved for me. I specifically asked again if it would be available when we arrived. I was assured that it would be, it was reserved for me at 7:15 Friday evening. Friday evening the traffic was heavy, it was raining, we drove 45 minutes to get to Carmax. Within a few minutes of speaking with our sales person we were told that the car was being transferred, there was nothing they could do. The sales person saw our conversation on the screen and my specific question about availability. Apparently the girl did not reserve it or the system failed. We were pretty irritated and swore never to use Carmax again. We cooled off, found another car at Carmax. We decided to try again. Carmax shipped a car in for us to NC from PA, no charge due to the mixup. Anyway when it arrived it is supposed to be detailed and checked out. We went down to do a test drive, it was raining again. We wanted to do the 24 hour test drive but since we didnt have our complete insurance declaration we could only do a 20 min. drive. We liked the car, we decided that we would purchase it and if we found something later we could return it. We traded our car and gave them 5k cash and financed the rest. The next morning once the car had dried we found multiple scratches all over the car, looked like from shipping. We were pretty let down. This should have been found by whomever checked it in. We contemplated returning it, the navigation system locked up frequently, it idled rough and had all the scratches. We called Carmax and they asked us to bring it down to look at the scratches. The service manager asked my wife to drop it off on Sunday and assured her they would go over the car with a fine tooth comb. They would detail it and fix the scratches. No worries. We drove down again on Sunday, dropped off the car, now 3 trips 45 min away. Monday they called and said the car was ready, then changed it to ready in an hour and a half. We told them no rush, take your time we want it done right, we will be there on Tuesday. We went down on Tuesday now 4 trips. We went in and got the keys, went to get the car. None of the scratches had been fixed, it was covered in a powder I am assuming from trying to buff out the scratches and it had not been detailed. Of course we had to get the service people out to look at it. We were told, Oh Im sorry, we will get it now, might not be able to get the big scratches and we will run it through the wash. What ? We were very irritated again. Of course we had to see the same service manager again, who told us not to worry, he told us the scratches were too big, they didnt meet some criteria for something. Our options from him were to accept it or return the car. We returned the car right then. But we were only given a check for our trade in, they said the cash would come in 7-10 days. We were down one car because we traded it to them, now they were keepin 5k of our down payment for 7-10 days. We dont have our full downpayment for another car, but they have our trade in and cash. So Carmax dropped the ball several times at our expense. I have to say smiling and being nice the whole way. I cannot recommend them. We went out of our way to make it work, but in the end were worse off than when we started, down a car, down a down payment and 4 trips - 45 min each way. I sure hope the guy who started this company because his daughter had a bad experience at a dealership knows what is going on at Carmax now.

John Adolf Grindle Kill Devil Hills, NC

You would think that with a fixed price on the car you would not have used car salesmen games. You would be wrong. We walked into the dealership with a pre-approved loan from ally through the CarMAX website. 'Hugo' SEEMED NICE. He was not. He runs a check to see if he can get us an offer with nothing down. I ask him 'will we still have our existing offer'. He says' yeah we will just run it again the offer should still be there. He extends to us a criminal offer of 12 percent interest. We say no. He runs it again (we've been there waiting for 2 hours now Typical used car salesman ploy) We wait and wait and wait, finally I go to get my daughter some food. Low and behold when I get back he cant get my original offer to return. Why????? If you get an offer extended from CarMAX, it nullifies your original offer through the CarMAX website. Now let me ask you a question...What do you think the odds are that a guy who does this everyday, knows that the system is setup to do that? Did you know that CarMAX sales guys do get a commission? Since the price is Haggle free.....care to guess what that commission is based on? Hugo knows we've driven hours to get there and knows we paid to have the car shipped from another dealership. In short he has us over a barrel. He sees how bad my wife wants the car. In the end we get new very reasonable financing external to CarMAX. We buy the vehicle. Long story short.....Dont think for one second you can trust CarMAX. Also VA Beach CarMAX charges 400 dollar processing fee.....They make you pay 400 dollars to sit and wait while they play games.

JMAE D Greenville, SC

Carmax does not sell with integrity. They will advertise like they do and talk like they do but when it comes down to it they do not. We were interested in a car we test drove that had a sticker price of $24k and when we sat down to buy the car we were advised it was the wrong sticker for that car and the car we test drove and were interested in was $28k. They would not honor (operative word of our point) the $24k price tag. We understand mistakes happen, but please own your mistake and rectify it. We did not even get a "sorry" for the 3 hours we wasted. Disappointed to have to part ways with the car and Carmax. Please do better, and the right thing, for the next client that walks into Carmax. Regards.

Naya Tallahassee, FL

CarMax is a nice website to view and potentially buy vehicles on because it allows you to tailor a car directly to your budget and how much you are willing to spend. This is done by seeing how much you would be willing to pay per month and viewing your credit. I think this is ultimately a nice website.

Kaysha Love Las Vegas, NV

CarMax is a company that thrives to ensure their customers are getting the most truthful rate on their cars. Ive been pleasantly surprised to see just how much this company genuinely cares about giving people the best price along with offering great warranties.

Han Sell

I purchased 2 cars through CarMax. They found the exact car I was looking for and had me in the driver's seat within a few days for the first car and a few weeks for the second because it was delivered from out of state. Great customer service. I will use them again.

Paul Weimar

They are great professionals. Every step of the way. It starts at the front door. There were no salesmen outside that rush up to us. No fighting to help us. They asked how they could help. They took time to explain Two hours later we drove away in our new to us used car. Wonderful.

Arte Ledyard Hilliard, OH

I went to have my 2007 Toyota 4Runner appraised at CarMax on Sawmill Road in Dublin, Ohio and this is my experience. On the positive side, making an appointment online was easy and the people at this location were very friendly. The appraisal process was pretty straight forward as well - you provide the basics on your car, hand over your keys, and about 30 minutes later you will receive a written appraisal that is good for 1 week. It all went smoothly, but on the downside the offer I received for my vehicle was the lowest of all the places I checked and 33% lower than the highest offer (Autotrader.com was the best followed by Cars.com and Carvana.com). As with anything, it's always wise to shop around for the best offer, and my experience with Carmax proved that point.

Hannah Pleasant Grove, UT

We had a great experience with CarMax. We test-drove a 2011 Nissan Rogue and enjoyed a pressure-free, friendly experience. We were very thankful. We didn't end up buying because we changed our mind on the model, but we were happy with the experience nonetheless.

Josh Atlanta, GA

Waited over 90 minutes for someone to take 90 seconds to do the paperwork to sell a car to CarMax on a Tuesday evening. The quality and service of Carmax is the worst I have ever seen.

Matthew Wadley San Diego, CA

We purchased our 2008 Honda Pilot from them. Everything was straight forward and they had a lot of options for us to choose from. There was no pressure to buy, they pretty much said here is the breakdown and do you want to buy. There was no getting a manager to try to convince us or strong-arm us. I was actually a little upset that I couldn't haggle with them to save a couple of hundred dollars

Greg West Valley City, UT

We have bought three vehicles from CarMax and recommended it to our grown children and friends. We have heard nothing but good comments from them and our experience has been great. My wife surprised me with a badly needed car upgrade from CarMax. She chose between two vehicles, not sure which I would prefer. They told her she could trade it in about 15 minutes if it was within three days. After driving the one she chose, I decided I would prefer the other and the switch was totally painless.

Stephanie Love Herriman, UT

Car max was great when I bought a car from them. I love that they don’t haggle the prices with you and the price is the price and I always feel like I’m getting a great deal. The customer service was awesome too. They answered all my questions and some. They took me out test driving several vehicles without getting annoyed. I even took a few out several times and never felt any pressure or annoyance. They were great to work with.

Lorna Johnston West Valley City, UT

We have bought three cars from CarMax and the experience was far better than any other car buying experiences we have had. The second car we got was a surprise for my husband and it was down to two cars. They told me if he decided he wanted to pick a the one I didn’t get for him, he could trade if it was within three days. He liked the one I picked but decided he would rather have the other one. The trade was quick and totally pain free. Every interaction with CarMax has been great.

Ted Johnson Pleasant Grove, UT

I have used CarMax for 4 cars to date and counting. I don't have to worry about a used car breaking down with CarMax and their no haggle way of doing things is refreshing. Love their selections of vehicles and they have a wide variety for everyone. The people are great to work with and I like their shop as well if I need a fix up and their warranties are the best.

kristin Gneiting Pleasant Grove, UT

I have used CarMax for about 7 cars. I have grown to love their service, their no haggle salesman are the best. They are more interested in making me happy and finding what works for me than making the sale. I also like their extended warranties, their great quality and inspected cars and their ability to be able to match you up with a loan that is best for you.

Wilinda Sylvestre Chapel Hill, NC

I can search for any car I want on CarMax and an affordable option will come up. Great app to use for Car shopping

Elisabeth Kinghorn Nakhon Sawan, 60

When looking for a new car, I like to use CarMax. They make it really easy to use and find some really great options.

Karynne Aliaga Lehi, UT

First time experience with CarMax in Draper, one of the worst. Greg W, the general manager needs to be trained by his own Sales manager/customer sales rep with customer service. I do not trust this company after finding out that their corporate offices send out pay off checks via snail mail, not even certified mail. No one was able to provide a routing number to track the check down. CarMax has had my car since November 19th and my bank has yet to receive a pay off check. Just in time for the holidays so, very appreciative for that. I guess "my hands are tied too" is this when I call the police since you guys have property and have yet to pay for it?

Jakob barre Norcross, GA

Carmax gave me a great deal on a great car I love my new Ford expedition it’s the best thing I could’ve asked for from them I can’t believe that they even looked to inspect my air vents while they took in my car as a trade-in they really cover all their bases.

Natalia Correa MDTribe Tallahassee, FL

I worked with Carmax in the past when my boyfriend was trying to get a car. They are very patient and really work hard to meet your needs when looking for a car! Highly recommend checking them out!

Vandy or Daniel Stillion Henderson, NV

My husband and I bought a MITS Outlander 8-7-2019. We were told since it came from out of state they needed to complete a 30 step checking on the car. When we picked it up Steve the Service Manager told us if we had a problem with the Battery just bring it in and they would change it out. On 12-26 we took it in for a oil change and find out 1) battery is at 50% 2) oil was low 3) transmission fluid was low 4)Brake fluid was low 5)Cabin air filter was dirty (husband saw the filter) 6)Engine air filter was dirty 7) Radiator cap wasnt holding pressure. Was none of this caught when they did there 30 step checking? When I spoke to Steve he said we should have changed out the battery in the first 90 days. Plus we would need to pay $59 to have these items checked out. We have since found out from a ex employee THEY NEVER CHECK OUT USED CARS. SHAME ON CARMAX!! MY HUSBAND IS ON SS AND I AM ON DISABILITY. To fix these things we have been quoted over $400.00 And what about the brakes, do we now need to worry about our brakes?? CarMax I hope everytime you do wrong by a customer, that customer will report it..

Shannon S Orlando, FL

Nadir was FABULOUS! He was patient and kind and knowledgeable. I trusted him right away. The car I thought I wanted wasn't a good fit for me and helped put me in the right one. He deserves a raise.

Andi Indian Trail, NC

I used to love and stand by Carmax. I got a car in 2011 and never had an issue with it. However, My husband just bought a car there and we are furious. The car is fantastic, however, 1 month after buying the car, the rear wheel started squealing. I took it to a Ford Dealership and found out the rear brakes and rotors needed replacing. How are the secondary brakes and rotors so bad that they need replacing 1 month later? The dealership agreed that there was no way Carmax should have sold us that car without replacing those. We called Carmax and requested that they pay the $550 for the new brakes and rotors but they still have not gotten back to us after promising they would check into it after we sent them the bill. Absolutely furious. For a car company that promises to sell the best cars and all the cars they have go through intense inspections, this never should have happened. And since it did, they should be better about reimbursing us for the bill. Not ignoring us and hoping we go away.

Lesa Burgess Pleasant Grove, UT

I went to Carmax to have one of my cars appraised to see hyou w much they would pay for it. After a pleasant conversation with the rep, they low balled me on their offer. I will never go back to them to have a car looked at and potentially bought from me. They offer way less than other competitors.

Alicia Holman Gilbert, AZ

I like that you can research a car to find out if it's been in an accident and that you can locate a type of car that you want. The only downfall is the dealerships don't seem to respect it, so they don't want to honor the prices.

Karen Torino Tallahassee, FL

Car max will have almost any car you are looking for. They also have pretty good prices and are willing to offer you any information on the car you may need. What I liked most is that the options to choose from were not limited, and there were all sorts of cars available.

Scott C. Lehi, UT

I have bought several cars from CarMax and would have no problem purchasing from there again. Particularly my last experience was pleasant with zero pressure from the sales person, and once we were wanting to move forward and needed more definitive information, we were referred to another sales person who was very helpful.

Michelle Rios Ogden, UT

We used CarMax to find my husbands Mercedes Benz. He was able use their website to find the exact car he was looking for. He submitted the request and several options popped up. He was then able to select the one he wanted and have it delivered to the store nearby. The process was fun and the service was great.

Syl North Port, FL

The purpose of my visit to CarMax was to sell my vehicle. The service I received was excellent. The employee was well trained and knowledgeable. I really liked the service I received. The purpose of my visit to CarMax was the band of my vehicle.

Keri Wilson Houston, TX

I have bought 3 vehicles from Carmax and have not been disappointed yet. The cars you have to select from are quality vehicles. Their warrenty's are worth paying for. I know when I buy a used vehicle from Carmax in getting a good vehicle.

Mickey Wilson Sacramento, CA

We used CarMax to buy my granddaughter her first car, it was used so we got the warranty with it. Over the years there hasn’t been many problems with the car but when there has been we’ve always been able to take the car in to CarMax and they fix it with no problems!

Brenda Mertes Houston, TX

CarMax made the car-buying experience anything but boring. Great customer service and they are very cooperative with credit scores. The used cars they keep on their lots are always superb as well. The customer service is terrific and we had a salesman that was highly patient with us while we looked around and took our time filling out the forms.

Amy Boren American Fork, UT

We used this site to look for a car for our daughter who was leaving to go away to college. It was super easy to use and brought up a bunch of cars in our price range and qualification. It really helped us narrow it down to what we wanted!