CarGurus

CarGurus Logo

8.2

CarGurus

Ranked by Experts. Reviewed by You.

CarGurus is one of the more popular sites car shoppers use to find and compare new or used cars online, whether they are looking to purchase their dream car or the perfect car for college. With more than three million used car listings and over 450,000 listings for new cars, they provide a wide variety of options for car shoppers.

The automotive research and shopping website was launched in 2006 by Langley Steinert, former co-founder of the TripAdvisor, the world's largest online travel site. Today, CarGurus claims to get more average daily traffic than major competitors AutoTrader™, Cars.com™, KBB.com™ and Edmunds.com™. CarGurus.com prides itself on providing unbiased price transparency data to help consumers make smarter and more empowered purchase decisions when shopping for vehicles online. For every listing, CarGurus shows the time on market, price history, a full local-market price analysis, customer reviews, and car dealers' expert reviews. Also, millions of new, used, and certified pre-owned cars are analyzed by the search engine on the website to rank the best cars available on price savings. Especially if you are looking to find local deals, it'll match you with the best car prices in your area. Over 15 million visitors per month shop for vehicles online at CarGurus.com.

The Good

• Compare Prices and Features
  • Question and Answer Board
  • Vehicle Pricing Tools

Compare Prices and Features

CarGurus.com uses mathematical algorithms to analyze and compare car prices and features on cars for sale. They claim to provide the utmost transparency during the buying and selling process by providing the data and information consumers need to make smart, empowered car purchasing decisions. To use their auto finder, potential buyers must simply plug in their zip code and the car they want, then CarGurus will show which vehicle listings to go for and which to avoid for the best local deals. Whether you are looking for all-wheel drive, fuel economy, motor trend reviews, or other specs, CarGurus can find the perfect vehicle to fit your needs.

Question and Answer Board

CarGurus' most unique feature is its question and answer board. This is an online community forum where car buyers can post questions on any auto-related topic. You have to sign in to the website to set up a profile to post a question, but the board is free and open to all visitors. This a is a helpful tool,  beyond their features for those interested in car buying, to help individuals find the latest updates on all things auto-related. The categories include:

• Shopping and Pricing
  • Maintenance and Repair
  • Car Customization
  • General

This forum provides a prime opportunity to ask questions you would not otherwise be able to ask on the Contact Page of the website (and get a response) because you can receive help beyond car shopping customer service. The people themselves can be resources for one another beyond consumer reviews and share practical, real-world advice without any marketing bias. Plus, CarGurus experts reply to questions on the forum as well. You get access to the staff, which seems more efficient for both customer and company because chances are your question is not uncommon and being answered publicly can help others as well. It also allows you to keep track of question topics that interest you by favoriting them.

Vehicle Pricing Tools

Something else that resonates with CarGurus users is that the website allows you to sell your car through their site at no cost. Similar to Craigslist, you can post your ad on their platform to be seen by others. This makes the pool to choose from much larger than some other companies with specific seller requirements. Cargurus also has a tool for pricing your car. (Actually, the tool is a combination of a recommendation tool and a comparison tool). You can go to the "Sell My Car" page and specify the car, zip, mileage, transmission and options to see suggestions for the most competitive pricing and determine the value of your car. Another difference is that to upload your ad you have to complete a form with the following specifications:

• Transmission Type
  • Exterior Color
  • Interior Color
  • Car Description
  • Car Photo

This method can definitely be a safer way to sell your car because you know exactly what specs to include instead of just guessing. And posting with a popular site like CarGurus.com gives you some semblance of legitimacy. To help you determine if the seller is selling the car at a fair price, CarGurus also offers a trade-in value tool that analyzes over 4 million used car listings per day to deliver an accurate estimate of your cars Trade-in and private-sale value. One final note: CarGurus is one of the few websites in its genre that makes its app easy to find and download for both iPhone and other Apple products, as well as Android. The app has also received solid performance ratings.

The Bad

• Anyone Can Post a Listing
  • Best Price Not the Best Deal
  • Zip code Restrictions

Anyone Can Post a Listing

Being able to post your car for free on CarGurus.com is definitely advantageous for the seller; however, buyers should be aware that it may not be as advantageous for them. According to their website, if someone has a car they want to sell, they can just post it on the CarGurus site, and from there, it will be included in the millions of used car listings it provides. All the seller has to do is have the car's color, transmission type and Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) and photo. There doesn't seem to be a privacy policy of any kind to ensure that sellers are legitimate. This may be cause for concern if considering a test drive. When searching the used car listings, individuals should consider whether the car is being sold by an individual seller or a dealership or whether it is certified pre-owned, or not. Car dealerships are likely the safer bet, as they have a vetting process of their own and many car dealerships have already established an affiliate relationship with CarGurus. Through the "Find a Dealer" page, shoppers can find car dealers in their area with the best reputation.

Best Price, Not the Best Deal

Another area of concern with CarGurus.com is that the site is aimed at finding the best price, not necessarily the best deal. With no advanced search option, you will have to manually look through each suggested listing to find extra luxury options and specific requests. This can be incredibly tedious, especially if there are hundreds or thousands of the particular type of automobile you are looking for on sale in the market.

Zip Code Restrictions

Also, you can only look for vehicles by your location, specifically by zip code. This location specification severely limits the options made available to you, as the cars for sale that you want may not be in your city, but in a neighboring location. However, you are able to use a search radius filter to find cars in your geographical area, but you may still potentially miss a great deal.

The Bottom Line

CarGurus has millions of cars to choose from, whether from a dealership or an individual seller. They also boast many helpful tools one would need to make wise buying decisions as they search for the perfect car. The combination of consumer reviews and expert reviews makes the site a viable option for those wanting to place a used car ad for free. Cargurus offers more structure and specifications than a platform like Craigslist. Some individuals feel that the car buying and selling process is much more difficult because of the zip code specification. Buyers should also be aware that there is no vetting process or privacy policy for direct sellers. Some recent Cargurus reviews warn of fraudulent activities from dealers as well. What really makes the site worthwhile is the community forum, where you can ask questions on anything car-related or find answers on already posted topics. CarGurus.com is a great choice to go during your car shopping to find a new, used, or certified pre-owned vehicle that fits your unique budget constraints.

2.2

Past
July 13th, 2018 Knoxville, TN

They overprice vehicles. Trust is gone.

Robert A Rizzo
June 19th, 2018 Willoughby, OH DETAILS

They guided me to the worst dealer iv ever been to in the 40 yrs I been driving, purchased a 2010 BMW 750li the dealer mislead every part of the purchase even the extended warranty, I have over $ 5000.00 in repairs that the gold warranty did not cover. they should grade the dealer there sending the public to make there purchase. The dealer i'm referring to is Auto World USA Bedford, Ohio. they do not check there cars for safety check on trade ins or auction cars they polish turdsand put a small discount to make it look like a deal and your left with the bill.

Sabrina Tropf
June 19th, 2018 Largo, FL DETAILS

Refused to refund my money to list when a few days later I decided not to sell my car!! So wrong! Dishonest thieves!

Chris
June 11th, 2018 San Antonio, TX DETAILS

Horrible customer service for dealerships. Shady and unethical business practices. Doubles rates from $4k a month to $8k a month with only an email notice, or will drop your account from their website. No way to call corporate to try and get help about being mistreated from your local Cargurus Representative. Just a take it or pound sand attitude. The way they operate should be illegal. If they weren’t cargurus I would never in my life want to work with a company as horrible as this one.

Z
June 4th, 2018 Odessa, FL DETAILS

this is a company that works against their customers, NO LOYALTY, i advertise with them , and they work against you, there come a guy out of nowhere and gave me a 4 star for no reason, never talked to the guy nor interacted with, nor been on my lot, and he gave me a 4 star , and wrote ( helpful online info) really , so i can go and do the same for every business out there? Not fair at all, I DO NOT RECOMMEND Them.

James Reynolds
June 4th, 2018 Spokane, WA

Obviously a very liberal owned company do to their PC censoring BS I highly recommend not going on this website or wasting any of your time or hard money on their ads. Try Kelley Blue Book they do the same thing as this website but do it better. When will these stupid companies learn that PC censorship is the way of the past and we're sick and tired of that crap. I am the consumer I am the customer for there I am right don't censor me. Car genius asked me to review Thrifty Car Sales so I gave an honest review they didn't like a few Choice words I used so they took my review down and asked me to change it how dare they are they things that they have the ability to do that. Yeah so you met on the website so what then don't ask me to review something if you don't like what I'm going to say.

Amelia Gibson
June 1st, 2018 South Jordan, UT

This company makes finding the right car easier/efficient

Barbara Spilios
May 29th, 2018 Middle Village, NY

Just bought c class Mercedes Benz , thanks to Joel for excellent service. I found my dream car.

Mohammed
May 29th, 2018 Queens Village, NY

It was great. I purchased a Nissan Sentra and Joel helped me out with all the papers and everything.

martin
May 16th, 2018 Corpus Christi, TX DETAILS

I work for a dealer in South Texas, we signed up with CarGurus and after the first year they raised our rate by 160%; the following year they tried to do 172%. We terminated them. They have a very low overhead, and GREED has entered into their business model.

Jen
May 14th, 2018 Blacksburg, VA

It was very helpful in finding a selection of cars in my budget. However, many of the listed prices were 20+% lower than what the dealer was actually charging when I contacted them. I got better info by finding potential dealers here and then visiting their site directly. Also, DO NOT sign up for email alerts or follow a car/model. You will never stop getting emails. I had to block them.

NOE DELEON
May 8th, 2018 Cape Coral, FL

I bought a van thru this website thinking that since the choose top dealer ( there commercial) i thought it was safe. Well I was scammed .and carguru didnt help me at all to recover my money .but they took the dealership off there site. So please dont use them

Albert Gonzales
May 7th, 2018 Phoenix, AZ DETAILS

With many choices of vehicles I found the best value with Southwest Remarketing and was extremely happy with the quality service provided and easy process to purchase my new car. Great company to buy vehicles from.

Fredrick Nash
April 30th, 2018 Stockton, CA

Sales girl She. At H1 autogroup was more interested in playing with her phone than selling me the Cadillac that had been wrecked. Bogus Car fax I went behind them but it was obvious. Kept changing downpayment. This is a fly by nite operation.

Andrea S
April 16th, 2018 Idaho Falls, ID DETAILS

We recently used CarGurus to find a used car to purchase. It was extremely helpful that they provided more information about the history of the car and comparisons to other used cars on the market. We were able to find a car that was somewhat out of our geographic location because we used CarGurus. I would use them again if I was looking for another used car. The listing was free online.

Six
April 16th, 2018 Ellicott City, MD DETAILS

Leckner Nissan used cars have hidden fees not mentioned in the price. Advertised price on CarGurus is a bait and switch. CarGurus should investigate this practice. An additional $3000 in fees should not be considered customery

Nathan
April 9th, 2018 Layton, UT

Really like to use this sight when I am looking for a car to buy, Very easy and simple to use.

Ak
May 21st, 2018 Avenel, NJ

Purchased my first vehicle! BMW Gran Coupe ! Thanks to the staff at EMG and the great advice from Car Gurus!

Maneshwar Pooran
March 26th, 2018 The Bronx, NY

Thanks to Joel, this gentleman was very informative with the 2015 C 300 Mercedes Benz I recently purchased I will recommend him to any of my friends in the future to buy a car from him....

Robin Ruiz
March 23rd, 2018 Flushing, NY

Joel R helped us obtain the 2011 Volkswagen Tiguan we saw in CarGurus and answered all of our questions. He took his time with us and stay until the sale was completed. Thank you Joel.

William Nietmann
March 21st, 2018 Superior, AZ

We had a very positive experience buying a Honda CRV from Kevin P at Fairway Auto Sales. He was honest, straightforward, easy to deal with and we are very pleased with our entire experience.

Charles Smith
March 20th, 2018 Jamaica, NY

The sales representative Joel R was very professional with the information of the car Mazda cx-9......i would recommend him to customers in the future...

Landra Gentles
March 19th, 2018 Odessa, TX

We drove over 5 hours to Texas Value Auto with every intention to purchase an advertised Camero. My husband had also called and spoke with Johnathan who "verified" the condition of the Camero and also confirmed that they would "honor" the blue book trade in. We looked up the "rough" condition of our trade in price on blue book; which was $4,132.00 but they said they would only give us $1,500.00 trade in; however, our car was in great mechanical condition and never involved in an accident. When we test drove the Camero, it pulled drastically to the right. Once inspecting car, we noticed two of the wheels were damaged as though it had wrecked against something causing major wheel damage and alignment damage and maybe even frame damage, no way to know. They would only give us $250.00 off price of the Camero to cover price of alignment; however, it was in desperate need of wheels and tires. We were both each out a days work, cost of trailer for towing, motel and meals; fully expecting to come to Dallas to purchase the Camero; only to discover it was falsely advertised and they didn't honor the blue book trade-in price of our Honda Civic SI. We would have taken their unfair trade-in for our car if they would have been fair about the price of the Camero and either repaired or deducted the price to cover repairs for wheels and tires. This company is a fraud and fly-by-night organization. Their good reviews would have to come from employees, as we saw their work in progress first hand. They are not a car dealership but only a rip-you-off "online" sleazy car sales company, do not trust them!!!!

Amanda Owens
March 19th, 2018 Griffin, GA

United Automotive in Griffin, Ga gives the best customer service and the cars are in great condition for great prices!

Francis
March 13th, 2018 Flushing, NY

We just purchased a VW Passat car today and our experiences was great with the help of our good sales person Joel. He was very helpful and knowledgeable with the car.

eric schroeder
March 12th, 2018 Fair Lawn, NJ DETAILS

Had all horrible experiences with all the dealers on CarGurus site. Especially EMG auto sales in Avenel NJ. Terrible car dealer! All their cars on CarGurus and other websites are scams. Bait and switch tactics. They have a team of fake sales people that drive people through there doors only to be told that "OH! THAT CAR JUUUUUUUST SOLD 30 SECONDS BEFORE YOU GOT HERE!" We drove 2 hours to get there! Don't waste your time or gas! When I try to leave work bad review on the site I found them on, CarGurus protects the dealer by not allowing me to leave a review! Avoid both CarGurus and EMG auto sales!

Marc Rodrigues
March 5th, 2018

your company is sending cease and desist letter to small youtubers using the words car and guru in their name (common english words), so don't worry you deserve all the bad feedback you can get. Best regards.

Blake Trimble
March 1st, 2018 Lawrenceburg, KY

Bypass motors in Lawrenceburg KY, is a great place to buy a car from! The staff are knowledgeable and very kind! I would recommend this to anyone looking to buy a car!

Princess
February 26th, 2018

Joel is very helpful & informative. I bought a 328xi BMW & I enjoyed the experpence with him.....I recommend him too you guys.

Yensi Ovalles
February 26th, 2018 Bay Shore, NY

I just bought a 2013 Jetta from Joel Reyes. He made the experience so much easier then I thought. Thanks so much Joel and all of Queens Auto Mall you guys are truly the best automotive sales in the area. Go there !!! They will help you

Travis HIBBERT
February 20th, 2018 Oakland Gardens, NY

From I walled into the store it was an amazing and personal experience. This was my first time buying a car and also a newly license driver in the US. Marc C, was very professional and knowledgeable about the entire process and he was always one step ahead of the game. He helped me from not knowing what car to get to insurance. I was recommended from a friend to come here after she bough her Audi truck for an amazing price and this has proven to be so. An amazing establishment with friendly and professional staff. I would definitely recommend this dealership and specifically Marc C to help you with you purchase. I will definitely be a repeat customer.

Akane
February 20th, 2018 Maplewood, NJ

Joel was great. Thanks!! I’ve got mini 2013.

Shirley Keen
February 13th, 2018 Frisco, TX

We bought a car from Dallas Leasing Returns, Dallas, TX after making contact thru GURUS. We are now filing a complaint with Tx. The salesman told us the car was free of liens, and that the car was owned by the leasing company and that it had been a lease vehicle. They showed us a vehicle report that showed it was owned by a leasing company. They were slow getting us the title and gave us the run a round on why it wasn't being delivered timely. Our investigation with DMV confirmation revealed the car had a loan and wasnt' paid off until 33 days after we paid for the car, and the title was then made into the name of the leasing company from a private owner. This car dealership is not truthful. I have ask for my money back and I will return the car.

Mary Moore
February 6th, 2018 Harwood Heights, IL DETAILS

I am car dealer. This company is a joke!!! Nobody there to talk to, they will call you back NO THEY DONT!!! Horrible customer service! Cars.com works way better!

al
February 5th, 2018 Monroe, LA

THEY ARE A BUNCH WALL STREET GREEDY Folks that care less about their clients or the customers avoid this site at any cost .

Ray
February 2nd, 2018 Jacksonville, FL

Great cars, huge selection no pressure. Great buying experience. Thanks Ali.

John P Fogel
February 1st, 2018 Prairie Village, KS DETAILS

Cargurus is the worst campany that I worked with. I am car business owner. They are keep removing from my account good reviews stating they are fake???? Are you kidding me? I am working hard to gain those reviews but they are removing them. Every time you try to call them and actually talk to somebody they either on vacation or away from desk. Manager never there I don't think they even have a manager. Worst company ever I don't know how they are still in the business .

Aleeya
January 31st, 2018 Lakewood, WA

*CAR BUYERS BEWARE* Victim of Bushing from Larson Toyota of Tacoma Bushing law RCW 46.70.180 Under the law, car dealers are allowed four working days to find financing and finalize a sale after a buyer has signed a contingent contract. 4(a) Is subject to any conditions or the dealer's or his or her authorized representative's future acceptance, and the dealer fails or refuses within the "bushing" period, which is four calendar days, exclusive of Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday, and prior to any further negotiations with said buyer or lessee to inform the buyer or lessee either: (i) That the dealer unconditionally accepts the contract or lease, having satisfied, removed, or waived all conditions to acceptance or performance, including, but not limited to, financing, assignment, or lease approval; or (ii) that the dealer rejects the contract or lease, thereby automatically voiding the contract or lease, as long as such voiding does not negate commercially reasonable contract or lease provisions pertaining to the return of the subject vehicle and any physical damage, excessive mileage after the demand for return of the vehicle, and attorneys' fees authorized by law, and tenders the refund of any initial payment or security made or given by the buyer or lessee, including, but not limited to, any down payment, and tenders return of the trade-in vehicle, key, other trade-in, or certificate of title to a trade-in. Tender may be conditioned on return of the subject vehicle if previously delivered to the buyer or lessee. December 21st, 2017, I had traded in my 2007 Cadillac Escalade ESV in for a 2016 Toyota Camry at Larson Toyota in Tacoma. The deal was for my SUV to be paid off and to purchase the Camry. They said all was good and I left with the Camry. January 6th, 2018, the salesman asked me again for the information needed that I had already given him on December 21st, 2017. (16 days later) By law they have 48 hours or 3 days to contact me to inform me if I was not approved, this is 16 DAYS LATER. So I sent him over copies of what he needed again. After I had sent this over I asked him multiple times if I was going to lose the car and he said to me that I wasn’t and that “it happens all the time” because Larson Toyota knows it will go through so much that they will let you have the car. January 19th, 2018, I got a call from Larson stating that I wasn’t approved for the car and I was instructed to bring back the Camry and to pick up my vehicle. January 21st, 2018, I went in and picked up my Cadillac keys from Matt and left. January 26th, 2018, I got a call around 9:30 am telling me that I was driving THEIR vehicle and I had to come in and sign new paperwork for my own car, which I discovered was paid off the first week of January. After this call I emailed them stating that I would only communicate via email. January 30, 2018, I get a CALL AGAIN from Larson around 4:20 pm telling me that I needed to come in today to discuss the car situation, after I told them not to call me. I told them I was busy and would contact them back. Now remember I had sent them an email stating to ONLY contact me via E-mail and that I would not take phone calls or text messages. I received ANOTHER phone CALL at 5:54pm (same day) I did not answer, and I had received a 2 minute and 46 second voicemail from Mason at 5:57pm. In conclusion its obvious that this dealership dropped the ball again... I’m not the first. A friend had this happen to him also but he had no idea what they were doing was illegal.

Bj. Berg
January 29th, 2018 Mooresville, NC DETAILS

The only reason I am giving CarGurus 1 star is because I doubt this website would allow me to post this review without giving a rating. I tried to sell my 1960 Willys CJ5 jeep and ran into constant problems. To verify ownership, I needed to upload a picture of my car with a sign in the windshield that had a certain code. This picture was refused because the sign didn't have "For CarGurus" written on it. I don't understand the logic behind this, but I'm assuming there's none. Nevertheless, I tried again. This time it was refused because the driver's door wasn't open. The car has a military issue canvas top with the doors built into the top. There are no locks on the doors, meaning that a photo with the doors open doesn't prove ownership. I called Customer Service and explained this, but he simply said to send them an email. I sent them an email and after two weeks, I didn't receive a reply. Then I discovered that my listing was deleted. The only conclusion that I can draw from this, is that CarGurus is either staffed by incompetent idiots or apathetic idiots. I can't really tell which, but I have a feeling that it's both.

Peter brown
January 29th, 2018

How can car gurus show one price and yet the dealership quote another .anyone else with same experience.